Author Topic: Tea Party and related matters  (Read 250922 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Today's GB show: The plan is to dump Israel?
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »
Intriguing and scary show from GB today; like all of us, he is trying to make sense of a world that is no longer making sense.

He made a very plausible case that the secret plan is to dump Israel as an ally.  He went into this at length.  I suspect if someone were to search function here for Cass Sunstein's wife and BO Israel-Palestine advisor Samantha Powers you would see what she was saying before plucked into the inner circle by Baraq.  The gist of it is that we need to ignore certain powerful domestic constituencies, stop supporting Israel, and use the money to build up Palestine.

Not sure if I will get this right, but the same basis "the duty to prevent harm to civilians" for the intervention in Libya will be used against Israel to keep it from hurting the Palestinians-- GB named a WH aide to Baraq who is already making this case.  Egypt's army in alliance with Muslim Brotherhood, now that Baraq has eased Murbarak out the door, will be ready to assist.

Of course it is a coincidence that Jordan Air's map now shows Jordan including where Israel now is and that Turkey is planning anohter flotilla to break the Gaza embargo.

Separately he discussed Baraq's trip to Brazil, the US helping fund Petrobras's deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico while Cass Sunstein denies US companies permits to do the same thing with their money.  Of course it is just a coincidence that this comes after Soros has been trading in Petrobas.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:02:28 PM by Crafty_Dog »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
GB 3/24/11
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Party, Glen Beck and related matters
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
From GM's link: "Samantha Powers, the wife of Cass Sunstein, who was instrumental in advising Obama on Libya... has called for a Mammoth Protection Force against Israel."

On radio, Beck said we don't need to follow her advice and fund a massive force against Israel.  We just got that for free in Egypt, they are called the Muslim Brotherhood.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
"Separately he discussed Baraq's trip to Brazil, the US helping fund Petrobras's deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico"

I heard that too.  I made the mistake of buying some petrobas after they had made huge undersea discoveries the last oil spike.
The government controls PBR and takes much of the profit to spend on Brazilian domestic programs thus leaving foreign suckers like me holding the bag.  The stock went from 130 to 30.  Despite the re rise of oil the price is still only around 40.  The dividend stinks.

And now I read we are sending them tax moeny too???

So who can wonder why the Brazialians love OBama as reported in the liberal MSM?

Of course they do.  Like all the countries where he is loved.  He is spreading our wealth around and buying their love.

I am ready to vote for Trump. :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Glen Beck
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2011, 01:09:41 AM »
Last night Glenn really went after the idea that the "Duty to Protect" strand of "the Obama doctrine"  :roll: is part of a big deep play to set up Israel.  Players involve George Soros, Susan Rice, some other names I forget, as well as Obama himself.  I am not doing the idea justice and recognize that someone reading only my words here may find the idea , , , a bit "out there", but he had me intrigued.  Perhaps GM can once again step into the breach with the URL for last night's show?

Also yesterday he spoke yet again about the pressure that the Soros conspiracy has been putting on FOX to get rid of him.  Coincidentally enough I have seen but not read some internet reference to "Glenn Beck considers web show".

I find the idea being bandied about by some on the left that FOX would get rid of such a successful show to be odd-- he makes A LOT of money for FOX, but for what it is worth, here's this:

http://townhall.com/columnists/rachelalexander/2011/03/29/the_final_days_of_the_glenn_beck_phenomenon/page/full/

The mainstream media has been reporting with glee that Glenn Beck may be leaving his Fox News show for a web-only show or his own cable station. Beck’s detractors are hoping he is imploding and this is the end of his superstardom in politics. There have been signs of friction between Beck and Fox News, and the network will not confirm whether his contract will be renewed in December.

The left is terrified of Beck. He has become one of the biggest leaders in the conservative movement. His enemies have responded by trying to force him out of his Fox News show. The far left group Color of Change organized a boycott of the show in 2009 after Beck called Obama a racist. The group claims that 300 advertisers have left, including Wal-Mart, Geico and Sprint. Liberal rabbis took out a full page ad in the Washington Post earlier this year asking Fox News to sanction Beck over critical statements he had made about them. Some Christian conservatives have kept quiet instead of defending him because of his Mormon faith. His theological differences with mainstream Christians occasionally surface on his television show.

The Glenn Beck Show has become one of the top cable news shows in just a few years. Unlike other prominent conservative talk show hosts, Beck educates his audience about our country’s history and philosophical foundations. He has figured out how to do so in a way that appeals to even our younger generations with their shorter attention spans. He wisely puts on many shows discussing Tea Party concerns that have become front and center over the past couple of years; hammering on the dangers of our expanding debt and deficits that risk economic doom if something does not change. He frequently lays into far left activists and exposes their seedy connections, unafraid to connect the dots when it comes to real conspiracies. His honest, folksy style of speaking with its sense of urgency, accompanied by unusual camera angles, invitingly draws viewers in. People from all walks of life easily identify with him due to his troubled past, which includes overcoming alcoholism, drug addiction and the suicide of his mother when he was only 13.

Lately, Beck’s shows have explored radical Islam, including whether Islamic prophecies coincide with Biblical endtime prophesies. Beck believes there is a possibility that the Antichrist foretold in the Bible will come from radical Islam. Considering around 80% of the U.S. population considers themselves to be Christians, and there are political overtones to Biblical end times prophesy, it makes sense for Beck to cover a topic that many of his viewers are interested in. Fox News viewers are even more likely to be Christians interested in these kinds of issues.

But Beck has become so wildly popular that every thing he says is a potential lightening rod. He has reached Sarah Palin levels of media scrutiny. There is now talk that his plain-talking style of covering controversial topics like radical Islam is hurting him and that his ratings have dropped drastically. Is there any truth to this? The big networks are down double digits, while cable networks have increased their viewers. Last year, Beck had the third most popular show on cable news, and just last week his ratings jumped up to second place, putting him ahead of Hannity and behind the number one O’Reilly Factor. And unlike O’Reilly and Hannity, Beck’s pre-evening time slot is not even a prime spot. O’Reilly has Beck on his show as a guest every Friday, no doubt realizing it helps his own ratings too.

Beck is even more successful outside of Fox News. Forbes Magazine has estimated that Beck’s web operations earn him $4 million per year, twice as much as the $2 million he earns from his Fox News show. He launched the website “The Blaze” last fall. It has more traffic than Fox News’ Fox Nation website.

Beck’s total earnings between March 2009 and March 2010 were $23 million according to Forbes. His radio show is carried by more than 350 stations, and he is the third-most-popular political radio talk show host after Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. He regularly goes on live comedy tours around the nation. He has his own magazine, Fusion. He’s authored six New York Times bestsellers.

He launched the popular 9-12 Project in 2009 and quickly became one of the biggest faces of the Tea Party movement. Over 500,000 attended his “Restoring Honor” rally last August in Washington, D.C., dubbed “Beckapalooza” due to its draw. Unlike most conservative rallies, it wasn’t put on by a conglomerate organization, this was a rally where people came because Beck was the theme. Prominent groups like the National Rifle Association, Americans for Prosperity, FreedomWorks and Tea Party Patriots supported the rally. It raised $5.5 million, which went to the veterans’ charity Special Operations Warrior Foundation after costs.

Critics of Beck reveal their desperation at finding a real flaw in him by trying to have it both ways in their attacks on him. They do not like the way he has been able to present the historical and philosophical background underlying political issues in an appealing way that doesn’t bore the average person. But at the same time, they attack his intelligence. They claim he has sold out and gone mainstream. Beck’s website The Blaze criticized investigative filmmaker James O’Keefe for selectively releasing portions of incriminating videotapes of figures on the left. Beck hired former Huffington Post CEO Betsy Morgan to run The Blaze. Yet on the other hand, critics claim he is part of the fringe right for attacking radical Islam, discussing Biblical end times prophecy, and calling Obama a racist.

The efforts to ruin Beck will not be successful. The boycott isn’t hurting Fox News. Those advertisers affected have simply moved to other shows on the network. The controversies Beck has brought while at Fox News are just enough to help the network, not hinder it. Beck is covering mildly controversial issues, he is not behaving like Charlie Sheen or David Duke. The fact he is Mormon means he is not the perfect conservative talk show host for most of Fox News’ base, but he is the only one on the network willing to cover subjects that desperately need to be aired on a popular network. Beck is charismatic, tireless and always coming up with creative new ideas that reflect the times. If Beck and Fox News cannot agree on renewing his contract, Beck will have no problem expanding his empire and drawing viewers elsewhere.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
GB 3/29/11
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
The Beck vs. Fox story is interesting except nothing but speculation is known.  The previous report of it came out of the NY Times showing both bias and envy.  Beck has 3rd best ratings and the 3rd best time slot.  What would he have in the top time slot?  Does he bring viewers to Fox or does Fox bring viewers to him? He isn't giving up and he isn't going away from the public eye, so I would assume it is all just the ordinary gossip that gets tossed around before a major league contract re-signing or a jump.  A little like Leno-Letterman-Conan.  I'm sure he considers the possibility of making a greater impact by taking the number one time slot somewhere else, maybe a network thought to be liberal or a new channel.  If he wants to be an entrepreneur I'm sure he could set up a 24 hour alternative with his headline show running live at whatever time he wants it to, for whatever length.  Plus they can televise his radio show and grow his morning audience.  With the people who put together content for the Blaze along with a few guest hosts and re-run the headline show would fill the day easily.  I doubt that will be the result but who knows.  Those who thought Fox News was too conservative should be scared.

The Blaze BTW looks like the best site of that type.  Both Huff Post and the Blaze tried to run with an improved version of what Matt Drudge pioneered.  (I would like to turn off the automatic refresh feature on all of those, which drives me nuts with medium speed internet.)  http://www.theblaze.com/  Drudge in particular has forced the msm to grudgingly cover topics that used to just slide by.  An example on Blaze: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/for-the-record-heres-the-caught-on-audio-clip-of-sen-schumers-extreme-moment/  I doubt that was front page of the pravda-hudson or the red star(Mpls paper).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Stephen Lerner on being a focus of GB
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

As an organizer, I go to a lot of meetings, panels and discussions and often leave feeling like I’m caught in the movie Groundhog Day, where I am reliving the same discussions and debates over and over again, and wondering if they hold any relevance for anyone else. That’s why I was so surprised when my secretly taped comments about the need to challenge Wall Street and corporate power using direct action, delivered on March 19 at the Left Forum in New York City, set off a right-wing firestorm.

About Stephen Lerner
Stephen Lerner serves on the Service Employees International Union’s International Executive Board and is the....Related Topics.Glenn Beck Groundhog Day New York City Social Issues .A funny thing happened on the way home from the forum. Overnight I was transformed by Glenn Beck into an all-powerful agent of “economic terrorism.” Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz called for a federal investigation of me, and right-wing blogs claimed that my comments revealed a vast conspiracy to take over the country and the economy.

What did I say that led Beck to spend two nights attacking me and defending big banks and Wall Street CEOs?

I think I may have found part of the answer in what disgraced former Wall Street stock analyst Henry Blodget admitted when he echoed Beck’s wild theories on Business Insider. Describing my remarks, he wrote, “Many Americans will undoubtedly sympathize with and support them.”

So that was it: Beck, right-wingers and Wall Street sympathizers went ballistic because they knew the ideas I talked about are far from being a secret leftist conspiracy; in fact, they’re in sync with the thinking of most Americans. In my talk, I raised a very simple yet powerful idea: that homeowners, students, citizens and workers should make the same practical decisions Wall Street and corporate CEOs make every day—they should reject bad financial deals.

Beck and Wall Street are terrified that regular Americans will begin to challenge the double standard that allows one set of rules for the rich and another for the rest of us. They are petrified of the growing understanding, among people of diverse political backgrounds, that our country isn’t broke; that the tiny elite at the top has manipulated the economic crisis it created to grow even richer and more powerful while the rest of us suffer the consequences; and that Wall Street and corporations, sitting on record profits, are holding the country hostage, essentially threatening a capital strike if they don’t get further tax and regulatory breaks.

As long as Wall Street and the superrich feel secure and confident, they have no reason to negotiate a fair deal with the rest of us. Only by creating uncertainty and instability for them—by disrupting unfair business as usual—can we build the strength to challenge their stranglehold on our economy and our democracy.

But I don’t think it was just my theorizing about power relationships and the economy that set off such a frenzy. It was the prospect that average Americans could take a series of concrete and practical steps, including direct action and civil disobedience, to make Wall Street pay for the trillions it stole from us. Ordinary Americans have the power and the opportunity to go on offense right now—with the immediate goals of keeping millions of people in their homes and raising revenue for cities and states to save jobs and critical services.

Here’s how we can start:

§ Homeowners and students can stop paying unfair debt. If growing numbers of homeowners and students organize toward a loan strike—threatening to refuse to pay their toxic mortgages and student loans unless banks agree to negotiate lower rates—it could force banks to modify loans and provide relief to our families.

§ Citizens can demand that our governments stop doing business with bandit banks. Local governments conduct trillions in business with Wall Street banks. That leverage can be used to force the banks to pay their fair share in taxes, renegotiate high-cost deals that are bankrupting taxpayers with astronomical interest rates, and stop foreclosures by reducing mortgage principals.

§ Public employees can use their collective bargaining power to protect taxpayer dollars. Teachers, nurses and other public employees can go to the bargaining table armed with solutions that would save billions, like renegotiating the toxic interest rate swaps that are costing taxpayers at least $1.8 billion a year nationally. Swaps were supposed to save taxpayers money, but they backfired when the Federal Reserve cut interest rates after the financial crash to help the banks. Now, as taxpayers deal with devastating cuts, the banks are using these swaps to suck millions out of government coffers. Imagine public employees voting to strike in order to pressure the city or state to use its power to protect taxpayers and critical services while also stopping foreclosures and stabilizing the housing market and tax base.

So let’s give Wall Street, Glenn Beck and the right something to be scared about. It’s time to use our collective power to challenge the economic and political stranglehold they have on our country.

Join thousands of Americans on April 4 in cities across the country for a dramatic series of actions to stand up for the middle class. On April 5, join the national teach-in with Frances Piven and Cornel West. Or start organizing in your own community to challenge the power of Wall Street and corporate CEOs.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »

http://www.watchglennbeck.com/

Yesterday's show:

All this week, Glenn has been asking the questions - Who is looking out for Israel? And, who is standing up for freedom here and all over the world? Well, one thing is for certain- we know the answer to these questions is certainly not Iran. They want to take both the United States and Israel down and clear the path for the Twelfth Imam. Tonight, Glenn welcomes a special guest to the program...a former member of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard shares some frightening video that proves the regime is indeed preparing for the return of the Twelfth Imam. Plus, CBN Host Erick Stackelbeck.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Is he out?
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_17784035?source=rss_igoogle

NEW YORK—Glenn Beck later this year will end his Fox News Channel talk show, which has sunk in the ratings and has suffered from an advertiser boycott.
Fox and Beck's company, Mercury Radio Arts, said Wednesday they will stay in business creating other projects for Fox television and digital, starting with some documentaries Beck is preparing.

Beck was a quick burn on Fox News Channel. Almost immediately after joining the network in January 2009, he doubled the ratings at his afternoon time slot. Fans found his conservative populism entertaining, while Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert described Beck's "crank up the crazy and rip off the knob" moments.

He was popular with tea party activists and drew thousands of people to the National Mall in Washington last August for a "restoring honor" rally.

Yet some of his statements were getting him in trouble, and critics appealed to advertisers to boycott his show last summer after Beck said President Barack Obama had "a deep-seated hatred for white people."

Beck said that he went to Roger Ailes, Fox News chairman and CEO, in January to discuss ways they could continue to work together without the daily show.

"Half of the headlines say he's been canceled," Ailes said. "The other half say he quit. We're pretty happy with both of them."

Beck said he noted on his show Tuesday that "how many times can I tell the (George) Soros story," referring the liberal donor that Beck has made a target of attacks.

"We felt Glenn brought additional information, a unique perspective, a certain amount of passion and insight to the channel and he did," Ailes said. "But that story of what's going on and why America is in trouble today, I think he told that story as well as could be told. Whether you can just keep telling that story or not ... we're not so sure."

Beck, who outlined on Wednesday's show his reasons for believing that "we're heading into deep and treacherous waters," told his viewers at the end of the show that his Fox talk show would conclude.

"I will continue to tell the story and I will be showing other ways for us to connect," he said.

More than 400 Fox advertisers told the company they did not want their commercials on Beck's show. Beck's advertisers were dominated by financial services firms, many touting gold as an investment.

Ailes dismissed the financial impact of the boycott but expressed some frustration with it.

"Advertisers who get weak-kneed because some idiot on a blog site writes to them and says we need to stifle speech, I get a little frustrated by that," he said.

One of Beck's most prominent critics—David Brock, founder of the liberal watchdog Media Matters for America—said that "the only surprise is that it took Fox News months to reach this decision."

"Fox News Channel clearly understands that Beck's increasingly erratic behavior is a liability to their ratings and their bottom line, and we are glad to see them take this action," said James Rucker, executive director of ColorofChange.org, which organized the advertiser boycott.

Beck was a lightning rod for other critics, as well. The Jewish Funds for Justice organized a petition drive last fall to get Beck fired for what it called his misuse of Nazis and the Holocaust phrases against political opponents.

Viewers had begun turning away. Beck's 5 p.m. ET show averaged 2.7 million viewers during the first three months of 2010, and was at just under 2 million for the same period this year, the Nielsen Co. said. His decline was sharper among younger viewers sought by advertisers.

Increasingly, the show began to be dominated by Beck standing in front of a chalk board giving his theories about the world's troubles.

However, Beck has built a powerful brand for himself through a daily radio show, best-selling books and personal appearances. Mercury Radio Arts is expanding and a key Fox executive, Joel Cheatwood, is joining the company later this month.

Beck's company created and operates a news and opinion website, TheBlaze.com. For $9.95 a month, he offers fans access to "Insider Extreme," a website that beams documentaries, Beck personal appearances and a video simulcast of Beck's daily radio show, with an extra hour featuring Beck cohorts.

Beck said ratings for his television show were not an issue, noting that "we have buried the competition in every sense." His supporters believe that the recent decline is more a reflection that ratings were abnormally high early last year.

"Call CNN and MSNBC and ask them if they'd like to have Glenn's ratings at 5 in the afternoon," Ailes said.

Ailes emphasized that Fox and Beck will continue to work together.

"We like each other," he said in a dual interview with Beck. "We're not drawing pictures of each other on the walls, having staff fights and stealing each other's food out of the refrigerator or any of that stuff."

———

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
They left out how GB effectively made revelation after revalation of things the left/MSM would rather have kept from the public eye. Also, without looking, I recall that he still had the best ratings in that time slot and had better ratingings than anything on MSLSD.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
He's baaaack :-)
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »
After several days off (understandably!)  GB is back  8-)  Both yesterday's show and the day before were excellent.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »
I thought he got fired  :-o

He's still on the air   :?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2011, 07:52:47 AM »
No, he didn't get fired.  :roll:

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
I guess we are both right....

"Half of the headlines say he's been canceled," Ailes (Fox CEO) said. "The other half say he quit. We're pretty happy with both of them."

Or I suppose you could say he would have been fired if he hadn't quit.   :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2011, 08:15:06 AM »
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/as-glenn-becks-future-is-announced-overnight-ratings-reveal-he-can-still-draw-a-crowd/

JDN,

Beck has ratings CNN and MSLSD can only dream of. You don't fire someone that pulls that audience share.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:18:22 AM by G M »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
Is that 500+k number measuring the same thing as Beck's previously >2mil numbers?  (Granted it comes after nearly two weeks of GB substitutes such as Napolitano , , ,)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
Without looking it up, it's my understanding that although Beck's numbers are less than at his peak, he's still trending above 2 mil on average.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »
Glenn kicked ass on the Federal Reserve and Beranke tonight.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
A rather accurate and succinct summary from a Republican.

Cindy McCain isn't a fan of conservative host Glenn Beck. The wife of Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain tweeted her disdain for the departing Fox News pundit Wednesday saying, "I'm so glad Glenn Beck is leaving Fox. Enough vitriol and hate."

And if Beck was confused about his role on the network, which he's often equated with being an entertainer, Mrs. McCain sought to clear it up.

"Glenn, you are no rodeo clown," she said. "They are decent and nice. You aren't."

prentice crawford

Woof,
 It makes me wonder if she has ever watched his show. Glenn is sometimes over the top in his delivery and sarcastic toward Liberals and their ideas but I have never seen him express vitriol and hate at anytime to anyone; as a matter of fact he often goes out of the way to express the exact opposite. McCain needs to set his wife and daughter down and explain to them if they keep showing themselves as being hard core Lefties he's going to have a harder time convincing voters that he is to the right of moderate; which  of course he isn't and anyone with half a brain should know this.  :-P http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/?itemid=3240 Are you even paying attention AZ Republicans?                    
                      P.C.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:26:13 AM by prentice crawford »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Cindy McCain, twit
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:53 AM »
Well, McC just got another six years and to my eye seems too physically old to run again six years from now.

COMPLETE agreement on the merits of PC's comments.  GB is actually exemplary in his expression of his emotions (last night's show had him featuring a liberal progressive woman on a matter of agreement btw) ; C McC's tweet reveals her to be , , , a twit.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »

"A rather accurate and succinct summary from a Republican."

Accurate how exactly? I can make a better case for you hating Jews, JDN.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:54 AM »

I can make a better case for you hating Jews, JDN.
    :? :? :?

Interesting note, McCain DID get another six years and GB got dumped.

And yes, I do pay attention to AZ Republicans.  They seem to lose round after round in the court, they seem to be at the forefront of racial bias,
and frankly, I don't think they are helping Republicans win the next election with their rhetoric and paper laws. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »
Well, McC got re-elected by pretending to be a hardass on defending the border and GB got dumped because of economic pressure organized by George Soros-- which IMHO should concern all lovers of free speech.

Losing in court proves NOTHING on the merits, only that activist judges can be found there.

"Racial bias"?  The term is certainly tossed about readily by the race-baiting left.  Do you have any more support for it than they do?  or for your assertion of "vitriol and hate" from GB?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:15 AM »
Funny how you incorrectly project racism on AZ republicans while missing the anti-semetic timber in your own eye. Wanting to have local level law enforcement enforce immigration law is hardly racist, or do you like the impact illegal aliens are inflicting on California?

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:08 AM »
GM: I am not anti-semetic nor am I anti Muslim or any other religious group.  I do however try to be objective, rather than blindly favor one group over another.

Beck got dumped because his ratings were going down and too many people found him offensive.  I think you give too much credit to the invisible hand of Soros.  If Beck's ratings
had risen or stayed the same instead of plummeting no one would care about economic pressure.

And I respectfully disagree, losing in the Court (District Court AND Appellate Court) IS indicative of the merits.

"The United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled against the State of Arizona and blocked the most contentious parts of their immigration enforcement law from going into effect. This ruling asserts the federal government’s authority over immigration and has determined that it is unconstitutional for states to take immigration matters into their own hands. As you may recall, last July a Federal District Court Judge, Susan Bolton, issued an injunction blocking parts of the law just days before it would have gone into effect, an act that was followed by Arizona’s Governor, Jan Brewer, filing an appeal to have the injunction lifted for the law to be implemented.

As it were, the law would have made it illegal for immigrants not to carry their immigration papers, and would have required the police to question people about their immigration status if they had been stopped and if the officers found reasonable suspicion that they were illegal immigrants. Because the law was viewed as an open invitation for racial profiling, critics of the law, who have constantly held protests and filed lawsuits to strike it down, were thrilled with the ruling. "

I think we are on the wrong forum, but when one is stopped for a speeding ticket, what is "reasonable suspicion that they were illegal immigrants"?  I find it to be racial profiling.  I am white; no one in my life has ever asked me for my Social Security Card.  They simply believe me when I give them the number.  The same applies when I answer, "I am an American Citizen". Odd; how many Mexicans have to produce papers when they are asked the same questions.  Isn't that racial profiling? 

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »
JDN, You are white but speak midwest/west coast English fluently (though some of it makes no sense  :-)).  If you were just as white and spoke Tajik or Russian in your first month in the country and understood nothing the officer said trying to engage you in conversation or obtain information, then the comparison might be more apt.  That is not race nor something you can profile before pulling someone over for a traffic stop.

Close friends can say only part of an old joke or story to share another laugh.  McCain, to conservatives, is such a joke and he is the one who started that fight on many fronts on many occasions.  Beck calls McCain "not a real conservative" and I suppose uses his name as a lesson of how not to move conservatism forward. The wife strikes back with vitriol that she accuses.  If free speech is so great, may I say - goods riddance to her too, off the national stage, unlike Beck who has not left (18 hours a week on radio if not TV) and will most certainly return.

Why do we say Cindy McCain is a Republican, a self designation?  Arizona-Republican used to be a term used before RINO to mean something of the opposite to a core-values conservative.  (Example: Sandra Day O'Connor!)  CM I think is more of a Beltway Republican where the core value is to be invited and liked at all the best DC cocktail events.  I am not aware of any conservative cause she ever advanced.  GB is just the opposite, day after day.

Ratings "trend"? or ratings?  Beck has huge ratings by cable standards and Fox did not fire him or distance themselves from him to my knowledge.  (Is he still on?)  After that show is gone Fox has said they plan to use him again in other ways.  People took offense or did they just take an opportunity to attack him personally and try to silence him? Looked to me like the latter.  

JDN may not be anti-Semitic, a wife beater, or other false slur, but how would you like being named, having the allegations broadcast and then have others without any evidence or example chime in publicly, repeat it, spread it and call it accurate!

The AZ legal issue arises out of the Fed's shirking their responsibility.  If the Feds have the right to take that responsibility back from a border state then they should do so.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:33:27 AM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
As it were, the law would have made it illegal for immigrants not to carry their immigration papers, and would have required the police to question people about their immigration status if they had been stopped and if the officers found reasonable suspicion that they were illegal immigrants. Because the law was viewed as an open invitation for racial profiling, critics of the law, who have constantly held protests and filed lawsuits to strike it down, were thrilled with the ruling. "

My wife is a legal immigrant who is required by federal law to carry her Permanent Resident card with her at all times. Although she is fluent in english, she has an obvious accent that would indicate to any reasonable person that she was not born/raised in the US. She is quite happy to produce her "green card" to any gov't official who might want to see it. Legal immigrants, such as my wife are angry at the catering the left does to those who break the laws in coming here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:39:47 AM by G M »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
"As it were, the law would have made it illegal for immigrants not to carry their immigration papers"

Ummm , , , it is my distinct understanding that it already IS illegal not to carry papers establishing the legality of one's presence here-- not that the Feds seem to pay any attention to it.

But, trying to stay on track here JDN -- again I invite you to back up your assertions about hate and vitriol on the part of GB.

PS:  I read GM's comment about anti-semitism not to be an accusation of anti-semitism but to be a statement that if GB were considered hateful, then the same could be said but more so of JDN.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
After a Green Card is Granted

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

See the following links on this page to find information on the following:

Renewing a Green Card
Replacing a Green Card
Conditional Permanent Residence and Removing Conditions
International Travel as a Permanent Resident
Maintaining Permanent Residence
Rights and Responsibilities of a Permanent Resident
Voting as a Permanent Resident (The Right to Vote)
Granted a Green Card by an Immigration Judge

A green card is issued to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times. Current green cards are valid for 10 years, or 2 years in the case of a conditional resident, and must be renewed before the card expires.

A green card can be used to prove employment eligibility in the United States when completing the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. A green card is valid for readmission to the United States after a trip abroad if you do not leave for longer than 1 year. If your trip will last longer than 1 year, a reentry permit is needed.

You have certain rights and responsibilities as a permanent resident. This section will give you a general idea of what these are and provide you with some other useful information related to your immigration status.

You may also wish to read Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants, a guide (in English and 10 other languages) containing practical information to help immigrants settle into everyday life in the United States, as well as basic civics information that introduces new immigrants to the U.S. system of government (see the links to the right).

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
"As it were, the law would have made it illegal for immigrants not to carry their immigration papers"

Ummm , , , it is my distinct understanding that it already IS illegal not to carry papers establishing the legality of one's presence here-- not that the Feds seem to pay any attention to it.

Actually, I am not required to carry papers establishing the legality of my presence here.  Further, since I happen to be white, blue eyed, etc.  and while I may have a small Milwaukee accent, I have NEVER been asked for papers or proof of citizenship except when I applied for a Passport.   In contrast, I know or have read about many Chinese, Indians and Mexicans who are asked when stopped.  Their skin color seems to be the deciding factor; accent or no accent.  That is wrong.

GM; oddly enough I agree with you wife.  Why do we cater to those who break the laws? (I don't; I just don't like racial profiling - make ALL people carry proof and that would be fair)  I find it wrong that IF we do offer amnesty, those who are illegal will benefit, yet those here on legal student or work visa's, i.e. individuals complying with the law, yet most truly desire to become permanent residents or citizens, will not be eligible for amnesty.  Only the illegals will be eligible.  That doesn't seem fair either; to reward those breaking the law and penalize those who are complying with the law.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
"In contrast, I know or have read about many Chinese, Indians and Mexicans who are asked when stopped.  Their skin color seems to be the deciding factor; accent or no accent.  That is wrong."

Really? Where and when was this? These are almost always bogus claims by illegal alien advocates. The core job of law enforcement officers is to determine if laws are being broken and act if they are. Often, this means determining identification. So, cops can be trusted to determine if the driver of a vehicle is legally permitted to do so,is or is not a fugitive from justice, can determine if the vehicle is legally possessed by the driver, but can't be trusted to determine if the person contacted is legally present in the US?

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Cindy McCain, twit
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

GB is actually exemplary in his expression of his emotions (last night's show had him featuring a liberal progressive woman on a matter of agreement btw) ; C McC's tweet reveals her to be , , , a twit.

Exemplary?  :?

She may be a "twit", but I happen to like her considered response.  As for GB, he may have been good, but he has clearly lost it.  Good riddance. 

____

After Meghan McCain wore a revealing dress in a skin-cancer PSA, Glenn Beck launched a vicious tirade about her body—suggesting she wear a burqa and saying the idea of her naked made him want to vomit. In an open letter to Beck, McCain asks if this is the legacy he wants to leave his daughters.

Dear Mr. Beck,
I am writing to thank you for helping me spread the word about a serious condition.
A few months ago, I filmed a PSA for skin-cancer awareness where I posed in a strapless Juicy dress to appear “naked,” as a metaphor for the dangers of going out in the sun without sunscreen. I thought that pretending to be naked (even if I only disrobed to my collar bone) would hopefully call attention to skin cancer, a disease that both my parents have suffered from.

I don’t know if you know this, Mr. Beck, but that scar on the side of my father’s face is from a melanoma he had removed when I was in middle school. Did you know melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer? Did you also know that between 40 and 50 percent of Americans who live to be 65 will have either basal-cell carcinoma or squamous-cell carcinoma skin cancer? And that there are more than 2 million cases of skin cancer discovered in the United States every year? It’s pretty scary, Glenn, and something everyone in America should be made aware of.
But the thing is, Glenn, I wasn’t really naked, and I know the idea of me being naked caused you to vomit on your radio show for 10 minutes. You suggested I should wear a burqa, since you believe that's probably the only clothing that could possibly fit me. By the way, you should really see a doctor because it isn’t normal to vomit for that long.
While you're at the doctor's office, why not get checked for moles on your skin to make sure you don’t have any signs of skin cancer? Skincancer.org suggests, “Throughout the year, you should examine your skin head to toe once a month, looking for any suspicious lesions. Self-exams can help you identify potential skin cancers early, when they can almost always be completely cured.”
While we’re on the subject of you vomiting on air, maybe we should have a little talk. Clearly you have a problem with me, and possibly women in general, but the truth is, it’s 2011 and I heard your show on Fox was canceled. Isn’t that an indication that the era of the shock-jock pundit is over? Don’t you think that’s a sign you should be pulling it back a little? I mean, if you’re too conservative and outrageous for Fox, that should tell you something. There really is no need to make something like my participation in a skin-cancer PSA into a sexist rant about my weight and physical appearance, because I’m going to let you in on a little secret, Glenn: you are the only one who looks bad in this scenario, and at the end of the day you have helped me generate publicity for my skin-cancer PSA, a cause that I feel quite passionate about.
As a person known for his hot body, you must find it easy to judge the weight fluctuations of others, especially young women.

You’re a full-grown man with teenage daughters who are probably dealing with the sexist, body-obsessed media environment that is difficult for all women. Is this really the legacy you want to be leaving for yourself?
As a person who is known for his hot body, you must find it easy to judge the weight fluctuations of others, especially young women. If any of your daughters are ever faced with some kind of criticism of their physical appearance or weight, they should call me, because women’s body image is another issue I feel passionate about, and have become accustomed to dealing with and speaking with young women about on my college tours.
So thanks for spreading the word, Glenn. And next time, instead of jumping straight to the “Meghan McCain fat jokes,” maybe try out some new material. Because the fat-joke thing, it’s been done so many times, I know a creative intellect such as yourself can do better than that.
Love,
Meghan

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-12/meghan-mccain-to-glenn-beck-dont-call-me-fat/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsL2

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
Well, not having heard/seen GB's comments in context or otherwise, or seen Meghan McCain in the dress in question, I see no particular reason to take a side here-- though I do note that GB can be pretty hard (in a humorous way) on his own appearance so her comments about him in this regard are , , , hard for me to follow. 

Bottom line, whatever.  I watch the show most days and I know what I see and hear and I read and hear how others describe what I see and hear.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
I wasted the time experiencing both clips.  This is the issue we face?  The Beck clip at the link was a RADIO show, the image shown is not from the radio show!  The vomiting attempt at humor was the sidekick.  The stated reason was his middle east trip, just getting off the plane, changing diet, he was queezy earlier before viewing the commercial etc.  The Burqa comment was to PREVENT SKIN CANCER. 

The central criticism was he called her "fat" and that was never said!  WHY DO THEY LIE?

The biggest insult articulated was:  imagine John McCain naked, with long blond hair.  Take that any way you want, it's her father - and he's NOT FAT!

Seems to me that in a world of free speech, in a world where a woman wonders what people will think if they expose themselves, people who see it and may have a thought when they do see you expose yourself.  Then someone says compliments with sarcasm.  Should we pass a law?

The point of the commercial was skin cancer, put some clothes on.  They were agreeing with her, put some clothes on, ha ha.

It was a radio bit, a bunch of sarcasm. They called her luscious, too luscious.  Not flattering if you detect sarcasm.   Seductive, they wondered if they should even show it.  (It was a radio bit!)  Not funny, not helpful and not newsworthy, but maybe it explains to me why the McCains don't like him.

There is a rule that you don't attack the kid of a candidate.  She isn't a kid and he isn't a candidate.  She is trying to ride her 10 minutes of fame into being a pundit on her own and activist of sort.  She puts her opinions out there, attacks others.  In this case, she puts her not x-rated nakedness out there, draws attention and comment, helps a charity cause and also definitely self-promoting, and she gets unwanted feedback.  Big deal.

I have read and heard endless vile comments the other direction, aimed at Beck and many other hosts.  Staying with the off limit topic of women's looks, comments that Ann Coulter has an adams apple, used to be a man, are all over liberal media. http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x1725237  http://www.anncoultersadamsapple.com/  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090920192313AA9PNhS http://cellar.org/showthread.php?&threadid=2211 And Condoleezza Rice disgustingly caricatured instead of respected as America's Secretary of State.  https://zone.artizans.com/caricature/r/Condoleezza_Rice.html  http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2004/11/20/racist-cartoons-of-condoleezza-rice/ 

Selective outrage is what this is.  Show me where JDN or Meghan McCain or Cindy McCain wrote, tweated, spoke out or objected when any of the rest of it happened.  Sen. McCain's "friend" and colleague Al Franken wrote a best selling book about Rush Limbaugh calling him "Fat" in the title, and he is a RADIO host - didn't do any naked commercials.  That would have been a good opportunity to nip this in the bud.  Show me where these two-faced, lying phonies tried to do that then.  Did they attack Sen. Franken for his vile work or welcome him to the US Senate?  It was the latter.

Glenn Beck is not running for senate, he is accountable to his audience, and the radio show is generally far less serious than what I hear he does on television.  I'd rather see him stay on-topic.  Radio shows move too slowly already because of endless commercial interruptions.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hate and vitriol alert!
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
I'm not sure if this is best described as hateful vitriol or vitriolic hate, but brace yourselves:

http://www.therightscoop.com/glenn-becks-vomit-attack-over-naked-meghan-mccain/

CAUTION: soul searing hatred and vitriol content!  :-o

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Hate and vitriol alert!
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/meghan-mccain-goes-naked-for-racy-skin-cancer-psa/

Hey Crafty, you might want to skip this since you just flew back from the middle east......   :wink:

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
The only thing better would be to see BG naked.   :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
So with a quickie blast of his mighty Google Fu, GM has huffed and puffed and blown down JDN and MMcC's glass house. :roll:  I'm shocked, absolutely shocked. :roll:

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
 :?

The video is hilarious and if you read between the lines; so true!

Oh and P.S. check your sources/facts or just check Meghan McCain's twitter; she never posted those comments.  It's bogus.
But regardless, if I was the McCain family, I would be laughing too.  I am.

I guess BG's house is crumbling; but then he got fired for cause.  Bye BG...    :-D

The glass house?   BG will soon be gone...    :-)

PPS Isn't McCain the last guy the Republicans ran for President?   :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
I did check Meghan McCain's twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/McCainBlogette/status/1409392863

@McCainBlogette

Meghan McCain

To the people at current that created this, I am flattered beyond words. I can officially die a happy woman. Officially the funniest thing

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
Sorry, I click on your link and it shows nothing.  As I said, "nothing". 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
This medium won't do a twitter link correctly. Go to this:  http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/28/video-the-funniest-thing-meghan-mccains-ever-seen/

You can click on the twitter link there.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:22 PM »

I watched BG's show tonight; live audience of college students focused on representing Founding Father ideas in the hostile environment of universities of today.  Looks like GB will be doing a lot of work in this area.  Good call for him.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
This medium won't do a twitter link correctly. Go to this:  http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/28/video-the-funniest-thing-meghan-mccains-ever-seen/

You can click on the twitter link there.

I think we are beating this subject to death, but I belong (twitter) and went directly McCain's twitter.
She never said that.  Yet I can understand she would.

It was funny.   :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
For the record, I thought GB's remarks yesterday on Pakistan were unsound and unfair. 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
What did he say?