Author Topic: Gov. Scott Walker  (Read 6232 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Scott Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
Doesn't help.   I wonder how this happened.   Did he purposely play loose with the facts or was he misled?

The teachers unions will go wild with this.

But when you compare to Democrat distortions it is beans.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »
Agreed not as bad, and agreed, not good--it allows for obfuscation and promotes cynicism.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:40 AM »
Ugh.

http://samuel-warde.com/2015/02/busted-scott-walker-caught-lying-called-teacher-open-letter/

Thank you for posting the NY Times correction.  The original teacher piece is a bunch of bs too.  The teacher who claims to be the best of them all writes a fact correction piece that is loaded from start to finish with leftist activist agenda opinion.  Even if the fact correction part were right, I would rate Walker's statement essentially true.  The old system favored a failed experienced teacher over a successful new one.  Attacking that defect is an applause line for Walker, and attack it he did!

Leftist fact checking requires name calling:  "Anti-union Governor Scott Walker".

The teacher who didn't win outstanding teacher award, won "outstanding first-year teacher of the English language arts" award. 

The teacher who wasn't laid off was in fact "issued a layoff notice".

Nothing like staying with facts, the union award winning teacher alleges:  "Your tenure as Governor has demonstrated nothing less than a systematic attempt to dismantle public education."... and ... "you became the Governor of the State of Wisconsin bent on dismantling public education."

But the facts bear out that the entire Wisconsin system was billions in the hole before Walker took action and solvent today.  The teacher's allegation were heavily debated and judged by the taxpayers, voters and owners of the state, and three times in a row the people of this blue state came down on the side of the Governor.  I wouldn't want this leftist, activist, loose-canon teaching my children!

NY Times:  'What we published recklessly slamming Gov Scott Walker of Wisconsin (Gail Collins echoing this teacher) was false.  We promise to be more nuanced and subtle next time.'

Good to see Crafty reading and posting from "Liberals Unite!" for us - so we won't have to.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan on Walker, the unions, and ISIS
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

8:29 pm ET
Feb 28, 2015
Uncategorized
Walker, Reagan and Patco

Article
    Comments (37)

Drew Lewis
    Patco
    Peggy Noonan
    Ronald Reagan
    Scott Walker

On Friday at the winter meeting of the Club for Growth, in Palm Beach, Fla., Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a possible contender for the GOP presidential nomination, was pressed for specifics of his foreign-policy views. Walker referred to policy professionals with whom he’d recently met, and then suggested that what is most important in foreign policy is not experience but leadership. The “most consequential foreign-policy decision” of his lifetime, he said, was President Reagan’s handling of the air traffic controller’s strike. “It sent a message not only across America, it sent a message around the world.” The message: “We wouldn’t be messed with.”

That caused a lot of raised eyebrows. I here attempt to return them to a more relaxed state. In the 1990s, when I was researching and interviewing for my biography of Reagan, “When Character Was King,” I became more deeply aware of the facts and meaning of Reagan and the flight controllers, and I discovered an element of the story that I think had not previously come fully to light:

It was the spring of 1981. Reagan was still a new president, and recovering from John Hinckley’s attempt to assassinate him in late March. Transportation Secretary Drew Lewis met with Reagan at Camp David to give him bad news. The Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization, or Patco, wanted to go on strike. The union’s 17,000 workers manned radar centers and air traffic control towers across the country. These were tough, high-stakes, highly demanding federal jobs. The union’s contact was up, they had been working under increasingly difficult conditions, and they wanted a big pay increase.

Lewis told me Reagan was sympathetic: The increased pressures of the job justified a pay increase, and he offered an 11% jump—this within a context of his budget cutting. But Patco demanded a 100% increase. This would cost taxpayers an estimated $700 million. Reagan rejected it outright. He told Lewis to tell the union that he would not accept an illegal strike, nor would he negotiate a contract while a strike was on. He instructed Lewis to tell the head of the union, Robert Poli, something else: As a former union president he was the best friend they’ve ever had in the White House.

Reagan’s tough line was not completely comfortable for him, personally or politically. He’d had little union support in the 1980 election, but Patco was one of the few that had backed him. Not many union leaders had been friendly to him, but Patco’s had. And he was a union man. he didn’t want to be seen as a Republican union buster.

Still, Reagan believed no president could or should tolerate an illegal strike by federal employees, especially those providing a vital government service. Not only was there a law against such strikes, each member of Patco had signed a sworn affidavit agreeing not to strike.

Talks resumed, fell apart, and by the summer 70% of the air controllers walked out.

They had thought Reagan was bluffing. He wouldn’t fire them, they thought, because it would endanger the economy and inconvenience hundreds of thousands of passengers—and for another reason, which we’ll get to in a moment.

The walkout became a crisis.

Reagan did what he said he would do: He refused to accept the strike and refused to resume negotiations. He called reporters to the Rose Garden and read from a handwritten statement he’d composed the night before. If the strikers did not return to work within 48 hours, they would be fired—and not rehired. The 48 hours was meant as a cooling-off period. In the meantime, Reagan made clear, nonstriking controllers and supervisory personnel would keep the skies open

What Reagan did not speak about was an aspect of the story that had big foreign-policy implications.

Air traffic controllers in effect controlled the skies, and American AWACS planes were patrolling those skies every day. Drew Lewis: “The issue was not only that it was an illegal strike. . . . It was also that a strike had real national-security implications—the AWACS couldn’t have gone up.” It is likely that even though the public and the press didn’t fully know of this aspect of the strike’s effects, the heads of the union did. That’s why they thought Reagan would back down. “This hasn’t come up,” said Lewis, “but the Soviets and others in the world understood the implications of the strike.”

The administration quickly put together a flight control system composed of FAA and Defense Department personnel, and private controllers, to keep commercial traffic—and US military aircraft—in the air.

It was an international story. The French government pressed the administration to make a deal. Britain backed Reagan. Canada’s flight controllers shut down the airport in Gander, Newfoundland, in solidarity with Patco. Lewis, with the president’s backing, told them that if they didn’t reopen within two hours the U.S. would never land there again. They reopened.

The administration could have arrested the strike leaders but didn’t. Congressional Democrats could have used the strike for partisan advantage and didn’t, or didn’t much.

Sen. Edward Kennedy and Lane Kirkland of the AFL CIO played helpful and constructive roles. Persuaded the administration had a case—a 100% increase was asking too much, a strike against the public safety was illegal—both kept a lot of Democrats on the Hill and in the labor movement from coming out strong against the administration.

Lewis said there were unhelpful moments from a few of the president’s longtime supporters. Some were wealthy men who owned their own jets and didn’t want to be inconvenienced. One called Lewis and told him he was going to get him fired. Lewis called the Oval Office. “I said, ‘Mr. President, you’re going out to California soon and Justin Dart and all these guys have private planes and they’re all raising Cain with me.’ I said, ‘I hope you don’t cut my legs out from under me.’”

Reagan, said Lewis, responded: “I‘ve never cut the legs out from anybody in my life. You let me worry about my friends, you worry about the strike.”

When the two-day cool-off period ended, 70% of the air controllers were still out. They all lost their jobs. “We fired 11,400 traffic controllers,” said Lewis. “That’s a lot of families. . . . And the union had supported us, and it was a good union. It was very sad. We were both upset about the firing. [Reagan] was almost in tears that he was going to hurt those families.”

So why was, and is, the story of Reagan and the flight controllers an important one?

What was at issue was crucial and high-stakes. What Reagan did worked: The administration promised to keep the skies open and did. The Patco decision set the pattern for wage negotiations over the next eight years, not only for the federal government but for local and state governments. The U.S. Postal Service’s half million workers were readying to go on strike shortly after Patco walked out. They didn’t. Mayors soon observed that a new climate seemed to have taken hold in their municipal negotiations.

Foreign governments, from friends and allies to adversaries and competitors, saw that the new president could make tough decisions, pay the price, and win the battle. The Soviets watched like everybody else. They observed how the new president handled a national-security challenge. They saw that his rhetorical toughness would be echoed in tough actions. They hadn’t known that until this point. They knew it now.

This is why Reagan’s secretary of state George Shultz said that the Patco decision was the most important foreign-policy decision Reagan ever made.

Everyone knew at the time that it was a domestic crisis. It wasn’t until years later that they came to appreciate that it was foreign-affairs victory.

So was Scott Walker right about the importance of Reagan and Patco?

Yes.

But two caveats. One is that Ronald Reagan himself would never suggest, on the way to the presidency, that all you need to understand foreign policy is a good gut and leadership abilities. You need knowledge, sophistication, grasp. He’d been studying foreign affairs all his adult life. He walked into the Oval Office with a policy: We win, the Soviets lose. A talent for leadership doesn’t tell you where to go, it helps you get there. Wisdom tells you where to go.

Second, in January Walker said that documents released by the Soviet Union proved the Soviets treated the U.S. differently after the strike. I have never heard of such documents. No one I spoke to for the book referred to them. The Washington Post has quoted former Reagan ambassador to the Soviet Union, Jack Matlock, saying “There is no evidence of that whatsoever.” I suspect that is correct.

If Walker got it wrong, he should say so. Though I’m not sure it matters in any deep way. Of course the Soviets saw and understood what had happened with Reagan and the union. Of course they would factor it in. They had eyes. They didn’t have to write it down.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
NY Times and Drudge reporting that Walker is out.  Has no money.

Where will his supporters go?

Who does George Will's wife go to? She was on his staff.
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
Apparently a good and decent man of substantial political courage in WI, but just wasn't cutting it on the national stage.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Apparently a good and decent man of substantial political courage in WI, but just wasn't cutting it on the national stage.

If I recall, your first reaction was 'boring white guy'.  Turned out to be true in the context of this high stakes, big market race.

To that I would say:
a) Why not boring, if he could manage the economy well, keep us safe, and appoint the right kind of judges, etc.?  Who says that celebrity status, hip and exciting make a better Commander in Chief.  Nobody asked or cared if Scott Walker wore boxers or briefs.
b) Why not white?  70-something % of the country is still white.
c) Why not a guy?  Almost half the country and most of the ex-Presidents were guys?

Somewhere unspoken in that is 'midwesterner', likely under boring, white guy.  Regional differences are part of this.  I liked Scott Walker.  I liked Tim Pawlenty.  Both would have made good Presidents, better than Obama and probably better than Bush, McCain and Romney that were nominated.  Too bad.

One good side is that Scott Walker may have mobilized the left better than he would have mobilized the right. 

I am satisfied that Scott Walker was sufficiently conservative, strong integrity, a good manager, loving husband and father and all of that.  My question from the beginning is, who from our side will be best to represent our view and present it most charismatically and persuasively to the persuadable, who should be nearly everyone in this time where leftism is most obviously failing?  The answer was not Scott Walker.
--------------------------

Speaking of boring, midwestern, white guy, pay attention to Wisconsin Republican Senator Ron Johnson, who is a successful businessman, manufacturer, and rode the tea party wave to beat far left incumbent Senator Russ Feingold in 2010.  He could use your help - (to everyone who may be reading).  http://www.ronjohnsonforsenate.com/  If you don't like congress now and don't like what the Senate is not doing to stop the far left, Obama agenda, try taking out one of the best Senators and putting in his place one of the worst as we fight to hold the Senate, repeal Obamacare, reform the tax code and confirm judges.  That race may be as important as the top of the ticket.  (Yes I will post it in the other thread when I can.)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
NY Times and Drudge reporting that Walker is out.  Has no money.

Where will his supporters go?

Who does George Will's wife go to? She was on his staff.

I can't tell when pp is joking but Walker didn't have enough supporters left to matter.  Still he was part of the top 3, other than the outsiders, Jeb, Walker and Rubio.  With Jeb out next and Walker out now, that could eventually favor Rubio. 

But Walker was most certainly a Washington outsider, so the 10-20% that he never got already went to the outsiders.

I don't that Mari Will is a big force; it's just an ethical requirement that he keep disclosing her employment as he covers the race.  It means that it wasn't his job to rip Walker' someone else can so that.

I predict she also goes to Rubio.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
Lol....that is a part of my "charm". No ones knows when I am joking or not, even in person. Sarcasm is my specialty.

Yeah, Walker had lost most every one of his former supporters. It did not help him with his changing opinions on immigration. (Caveat: I did like him at the beginning, but felt he was not ready for prime time, as proven out.)

Walker was not one of the GOPe splitter strategy, so this should have little effect upon things from here. But I was very disappointed in his shots at Trump during his 3 minute press conference. It shows that he has now gone to the dark side, likely looking for new GOPe worlds to conquer.

Already, the Walker team is starting to move to Rubio. Does this mean that Jeb is about finished?  If others drop out of a more significant stature and go to Rubio, Bush may finally be laid to rest.

The elephant in the room is still Trump. The GOPe must find some way to negate him, or else they cannot get their candidate in. Carson and Fiorina will be easy to render out of the program, but the GOPe cannot do them in until Trump is gone first. The reason is that Carson/Fiorina supporters will move in some numbers to Trump if they go out first, so they must remain to help split the vote and harm Trump.

Interesting times..............

PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
Some might stay in without a chance of winning.  Jeb won't.  He is hating this process.  It isn't going at all the way he expected.  Jeb isn't going to wait for his poll numbers to go to zero.

The base is now the establishment. Everything is upside down.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:07 AM »
Lol....that is a part of my "charm". No ones knows when I am joking or not, even in person. Sarcasm is my specialty.

Yeah, Walker had lost most every one of his former supporters. It did not help him with his changing opinions on immigration. (Caveat: I did like him at the beginning, but felt he was not ready for prime time, as proven out.)

Walker was not one of the GOPe splitter strategy, so this should have little effect upon things from here. But I was very disappointed in his shots at Trump during his 3 minute press conference. It shows that he has now gone to the dark side, likely looking for new GOPe worlds to conquer.

Already, the Walker team is starting to move to Rubio. Does this mean that Jeb is about finished?  If others drop out of a more significant stature and go to Rubio, Bush may finally be laid to rest.

The elephant in the room is still Trump. The GOPe must find some way to negate him, or else they cannot get their candidate in. Carson and Fiorina will be easy to render out of the program, but the GOPe cannot do them in until Trump is gone first. The reason is that Carson/Fiorina supporters will move in some numbers to Trump if they go out first, so they must remain to help split the vote and harm Trump.

Interesting times..............

Just because someone takes shots at Trump doesn't mean they are part of the GOPe. There are real reasons to question Trump. If this country weren't so fcuked, his run would be a punchline.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
"There are real reasons to question Trump"

Agreed.  I like Trump but I am absolutely getting tired of the childish name calling and his saying he doesn't need to know anything because he will hire good people.

As Krauthammer said last night, "it is not like the concept of *hiring good smart people* has never been thought of.

If Trump doesn't start sharpening his message he has indeed peaked.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
Well, Dr. K has hated Trump for years, and is a big bush backer.

Notice what happened after the latest fiasco with Rich Lowry......Fox is going to have a personal meeting with Trump to discuss things. Remember the old adage...........any publicity is good publicity. When Trump does this, and he only does this after being attacked, he gets another 24 hours of media coverage.

Doing it get tiring? Yes. But at the same time, he is proving to all the well known bias of the media which I am sure everyone here has complained about time and again.

As to hiring good people, why doesn't K hold the other candidates to the same standard? Why is he not calling on them to reveal who they would bring aboard? 

Sharpening the message? At this point in time, it is about eliminating the threats to his nomination. Providing names, etc., does not eliminate the threat. In fact, it increases the threat because it gives the opposition ammo to attack Trump. As well, it is only the more wonkish who want the details. Everyone else wants the "hope" that he can do something no one else will do.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Not sure why any of this is in the Walker thread  :-o :lol:

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
It ended up here due to my "wonderful sarcastic" comment about where Walkers .005% support would go and Doug wondering whether I was joking or not.

I will try to behave better...............if I can................ :evil:
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: