Author Topic: Water drying up in China  (Read 9855 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Water drying up in China
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:00:06 AM »
Perhaps Watts Water Technologies is a good long term investment as ground water in China is drying up:

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=7660278

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Water drying up in China
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »
The ecology situation in China seems to be quite grim on many fronts.  That was a good piece, thank you.  Please refresh my memory as to what WTS does- itis down to 30 from a high of 40 in the last five months.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:05:14 AM »
Hi sensai,

Sorry I took a while to get back to you.  Our computer crashed and it took me a while to get another going.  Interesting that we started having problems with the computer the very second we (Katherine and I) began printing out the release date of a Brad Paisley's album right after we were saying we wanted the release date as evidence.  It was no coincidence in the middle of printing out as we used the computer and printer all day for other reasons without any problem.  This is but one of many examples of how I know we are being monitored with listening devices as well as all our computer usages.  But that's another story.

As for Watts I really couldn't tell you much more about it than you can read on yahoo finance.  But I can tell you how I know about it.  I first heard about Watts, I believe in Business 2.0 (if I recall) roughly a year ago - a magazine now cancelled by Time Warner.  Than another financial newsletter - the Cabot value investor that I subscribe to recommended it a few months ago.  The newsletter is excellent - especially for someone like me who "is over 39".  The newsletter has a great track record in value investing and follows the principles of Benjamin Graham.  I noticed the Motley Fool value newsletter which is also good (but not as good in IMHO) recently had a subscriber contest.  The winner of free monthly issues suggested Watts.  The Motley Fool people agreed.  In the Cabot newsletter it is pointed out that it is rare for a relatively boring industrial type company to have such long term great growth opportunities.  I still watch LNOP and am just too nervous to buy it.  It looks like it might be ready to soar.  Maybe I'll pick up 100 or 200 shares.  The Cabot newsletter recommended RIMM as a "value" stock a few months back right before it dropped to split adjusted ~65.  Now it's what 110?

http://www.cabot.net/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:04 AM »
Stop the tease please!  :lol: URL? 25-50 words on the theory behind the investment?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Watts from the Cabot Ben Graham Value Newsletter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »
From the July 07 newsletter:

Watts Water Technologies (WTS):

How Cheap is it? 

It is rare that an industrial company with good growth prospects makes into our Classic Benjamin Graham Value Model.
WTS is a gem that is clearly undervalued.  We are confident WTS' share price till reach our Min Sell Price of 47.05 within 1 to 2 years.

Company profile:

WTS is a leading manufacturer of products used in the plumbing and water quality industries.  The real estate boom during the early part
of this decade has created a need to expand and upgrade the water utility infrastructure in the US and other countries, notably China.
Water quality is deteriorating throughout the world, and WTS sells the products necessary to upgrade private and municipal water systems.

Outlook:

WTS recently sold over $200 million of common stock and another 200 milion of bonds to raise its cash levels.  The company now $9 per share
in cash and is poised to make a major acquisition.  Watts has successfully paid more than $350 million for acquisitions during the past 3 years,
and we expect the company to step up the pace during the next several years.  EPS growth will likely approximate 15% for the next 3 to 5 years.

Was Rec:  Buy at 36.67 or less
Recently:  Hold     and      Sell only when it hits 48.41

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
Thank you for that.  Certainly sounds good, but I wonder why it has declined from 45 to 32 (roughly a 30% drop) in the last 6-12 months?  The chart is terrible and the downtrend line is unbroken, though there are indications of support around 29.  Through painful experience I have learn to avoid catching falling knives.  I'm thinking to put in a buy order for 29.50-- about 10% below current levels.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Good Call
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Sensai Crafty (no tease intended),

Good call on WTS.  UGGGH for me. :cry:

I'm holding firm.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=wts

Congratulations so far on LNOP :wink:.  I am still too afraid of it.  Their potential market increased by a factor of three?  Not their sales?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
China warns on growing water shortages
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
No URL on this, but it comes from a very reliable source.
=================================

China warns on growing water shortages

Chinese officials have issued a stark warning over growing water shortages, saying the situation is worsening every day and that more than two-thirds of cities have a water shortage.

The world’s second-largest economy, is struggling to deal with the costs of the immense environmental degradation that has accompanied economic growth. Worsening water shortages and water pollution pose a growing threat to economic and social development, said Hu Siyi, vice-minister of water resources, on Thursday.

“The constraints of our available water resources become more apparent day by day,” said Mr Hu. “The situation is extremely serious in many areas. With overdevelopment, water use has already surpassed what our natural resources can bear.

“If we don’t take strong and firm measures, it will be hard to reverse the severe shortages and daily exacerbation of the water situation.”

Beijing has tried to address the issue with a series of policies that limit consumption, control pollution and increase monitoring of far-flung waterways. The government has also invested huge amounts of money in water conservation, irrigation and management systems, and plans to spend Rmb 4tn ($638bn) on the sector over the next 10 years.

Ma Jun, a well known environmental activist and water expert, says the government’s policies have been moving in the right direction, but have failed to curb growing demand.

“We have built all these dams, we are drilling increasingly deeper to tap into aquifers, many cities are building water diversion projects – in some ways we are reaching our limits in terms of water supply,” said Mr Ma.

A potent heavy metal spill in the southern river of Longjiang recently highlighted the challenges the government faces, as it tries to address water pollution issues. The cadmium spill, which was initially covered up by local officials, contaminated more than 200 miles of the river and became a big news event in China.

Two-thirds of China’s cities are short of water, nearly 300m country dwellers lack access to safe drinking water, and two-thirds of China’s lakes have chemical deficiencies caused by pollution, according to government estimates.

Environmentalists say many water policies have had a limited impact, because of the difficulty in enforcing rules on the ground, where local officials may prize GDP growth – long a consideration for official promotion – over meeting environmental guidelines.

In an unusual gesture for a Chinese official, Mr Hu acknowledged some of these failings on Thursday. “If our original weak water resource management policies and methods are continued, the pressing demands for water that is needed to improve people’s livelihoods and economic development will be difficult to meet,” he said.