Author Topic: Epidemics: Bird Flu, TB, AIDs, Superbugs, Ebola, etc  (Read 263602 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Epidemics: Bird Flu, TB, AIDs, Superbugs, Ebola, etc
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
"I need citations of doctors and serious folks endorsing the off label use of the malaria drug, and of the current study being done in real time in NYC."

what do you mean citations?

the general consensus as far as I know is this drug should not be used for outpatient people suspected of or having confirmed corona at all.
for those who look like they are critically ill there is controversy

I don't like doctors hoarding these for themselves or their families as reported
I have had people calling up asking for zpacks (nothing else works! - total BS). one calls up stating he thinks he has malaria  - called from Michigan.

Some doctors I work with feel these drugs should not be used at all unless in some kind of clinical trial
On that note I personally disagree.  If someone is on a ventilator and dying I think there is enough evidence these drugs may work they should
be used / offered.

though agree it is best if they are used in a way that the results can be measured so we have a better idea how well they work
they are drugs around for decades so we already know side effects etc. though we do not really understand well in the situation of corona obviously

it is important to remember the history of medicine is littered with drugs that seemed to work, theoretically should work , and either did not or indeed, not rarely made things worse.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
CA dropped pandemic preps in 2011
« Reply #403 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-27/coronavirus-california-mobile-hospitals-ventilators

"Sharing this not to bash anybody, but to point out how difficult preparedness really is.  If you don’t need something for a long time, you can persuade yourself that you’ll never need it.  Or that it’s too expensive to maintain based on the unlikelihood something will happen.  Then it does and everyone becomes a critic."

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 27, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »
"If you don’t need something for a long time, you can persuade yourself that you’ll never need it. "

yeah,  like 100 yrs

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: CA dropped pandemic preps in 2011
« Reply #405 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:03 PM »
Yeah, who could have foreseen the potential for a pandemic in California? The sprawling homeless camps filled with MRSA, TB, HIV, Leprosy, Hepatitis and Typhus are otherwise very hygienic!

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-27/coronavirus-california-mobile-hospitals-ventilators

"Sharing this not to bash anybody, but to point out how difficult preparedness really is.  If you don’t need something for a long time, you can persuade yourself that you’ll never need it.  Or that it’s too expensive to maintain based on the unlikelihood something will happen.  Then it does and everyone becomes a critic."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:35:04 PM by G M »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
China has totally beaten the Kung Flu!
« Reply #406 on: March 27, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2020, 11:29:03 PM »
Well, if that is so, and given that Taiwan and HK do have WuFlu, then they must not be part of China.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Well, if that is so, and given that Taiwan and HK do have WuFlu, then they must not be part of China.

They aren’t.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 28, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
of course Cuomo

who thinks America was never that great
must not think much of American ingenuity............

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:05:07 PM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Epidemics: Taiwan?
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »

They aren’t.

That's right, they aren't and this is a breakthrough catch by Crafty, like when Justice Breyer referred to the woman in an abortion situation as a "mother".  Mother of what?!  Here the WHO pretends to not know Taiwan - as anything other than China, even though the stats are separate and so is the sovereignty.
https://twitter.com/HKWORLDCITY/status/1243865641448169474

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
First Report of Deadly Wuhan Virus, Jan 8, 2020
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2020, 05:41:46 PM »
THIS is the first report WE had of the Wuhan virus:
[China had a scientific report on Jan 5.]

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-virus-discovered-by-chinese-scientists-investigating-pneumonia-outbreak-11578485668

New Virus Discovered by Chinese Scientists Investigating Pneumonia Outbreak
Latest tally of people sickened in Wuhan is 59, with seven in critical condition

Public-health officials in Bangkok hand out disease-monitoring information after performing thermal scans on passengers arriving from Wuhan, China, on Wednesday.
PHOTO: LAUREN DECICCA/GETTY IMAGES
By Natasha Khan
Updated Jan. 8, 2020 8:30 pm ET

HONG KONG—Chinese scientists investigating a mystery illness that has sickened dozens in central China have discovered a new strain of coronavirus, a development that will test the country’s upgraded capabilities for dealing with unfamiliar infectious diseases.

The novel coronavirus was genetically sequenced from a sample from one patient and subsequently found in some of the others affected in the city of Wuhan, people familiar with the findings said. Chinese authorities haven’t concluded that the strain is the underlying cause of sickness in all the patients who have been isolated in Wuhan since the infection first broke out in early December, the people said.

Chinese state media reported Thursday that the unidentified pneumonia “is believed to be a new type of coronavirus,” citing experts. State media reported that the results were preliminary and more research was needed to understand the virus.

There are many known coronaviruses—some can cause ailments like common colds in humans, while others don’t affect humans at all. Some—such as severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS-coronavirus, identified in 2003—have led to deadly outbreaks, lending urgency to efforts to contain the current situation.

The number of reported cases of viral pneumonia in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, was 59 on Sunday, rising from 27 on Dec. 31, according to Wuhan’s Municipal Health Commission, with seven people in critical condition. No deaths have been reported.

The disease afflicting patients in Wuhan hasn’t been transmitted from human to human, and health-care workers have remained uninfected, according to city health officials as of Sunday, suggesting that what is sickening them is for now less virulent than SARS. Those ill in Wuhan are believed to have become sick through exposure to animals linked to a live seafood and animal market.

Health experts say one risk is that the disease could become a bigger threat as tens of millions of Chinese travel around the country during the Lunar New Year holidays that begin in just over two weeks.

Health authorities in Singapore and Hong Kong, cities that have direct flights from Wuhan, have issued alerts and quarantined patients traveling from the region who show signs of fever or breathing difficulties.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked health-care providers and state and local health departments on Wednesday to screen patients with severe respiratory illnesses about whether they have traveled to Wuhan. Any patients meeting those criteria should be reported immediately to public health authorities, the U.S. public health agency said in a health advisory. No cases have been reported in the U.S., the CDC said, adding that it is prepared to respond “if additional public health actions are required.”

In Hong Kong on Tuesday, the government said it was taking precautions against a “severe respiratory disease associated with a novel infectious agent.” that it is seeking to make a statutory notifiable infectious disease, meaning doctors would need to report any suspected cases, and patients evading quarantine could be fined or jailed.

A visitor walked past a large photo depicting the 2003 SARS epidemic at an exhibition, ‘40 Years Through the Lens,’ at the National Museum of China, in Beijing, September 2018.
PHOTO: WU HONG/EPA/SHUTTERSTOCK
China was criticized for initially covering up SARS, which was first detected in late 2002 but was disclosed only after it began spreading widely, eventually killing 774 people globally, according to the World Health Organization. Beijing overhauled the nation’s disease control after reviews found that initial failures to contain and isolate patients with SARS allowed it to proliferate across densely populated southern China.

The Wuhan outbreak will test how much has changed.

“We learned a bitter lesson in 2003, and we do not want that to happen again,” said Alex Lam, chairman of advocacy group Hong Kong Patients’ Voices. “China should immediately release their findings so doctors across the world can better know how to tackle this illness.”

Hong Kong’s department of health, citing information from China’s National Health Commission, said the cause of the cluster of pneumonia cases detected in Wuhan was still under investigation, but other known respiratory pathogens had been ruled out.

The main clinical symptoms of those affected by the Wuhan outbreak are fever—with a few patients having difficulty breathing—and invasive lesions of both lungs, which show up on chest radiographs, the WHO said Sunday.

A mourner wearing a mask to ward off SARS under an umbrella during the funeral of a SARS doctor in Hong Kong in 2003.
PHOTO: BOBBY YIP/REUTERS
It is unclear what the underlying source of the disease is, though the reported link to a wholesale fish and live-animal market could indicate an exposure link to animals, the WHO said. Bats, for example, are known reservoirs for coronaviruses, and have been found to transmit the disease to humans through a third vector such as a civet cat, as scientists found in the case of SARS.

The pattern of the unexplained pneumonia cases linked to the market selling seafood and live game strongly suggests that this is a novel microbe jumping from animal to human, said K.Y. Yuen, chair professor of infectious diseases at the University of Hong Kong’s Faculty of Medicine.

Researchers have determined that a large proportion of new infectious diseases in humans are transmitted via animals. Such illnesses are referred to as zoonoses. Two newer human coronaviruses, MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV, have been known to cause severe illness and death, according to the U.S. CDC.

The Wuhan strain is similar to bat coronaviruses that were a precursor to SARS, a person familiar with the new findings said.

Given the marked advances in hospital isolation facilities, infection-control training and laboratory diagnostic capabilities in the past two decades, it is unlikely that this outbreak will lead to a major 2003-like epidemic, Mr. Yuen said.

In Wuhan, which has China’s first Biosafety Level 4 laboratory—a specialized research laboratory that deals with potentially deadly infectious agents like Ebola—the market at the center of investigations has been shut since Jan 1.

In Hong Kong, badly hit by the SARS virus, which claimed 299 lives locally in 2003, residents have donned surgical masks on the streets and public transport in recent days, despite no local cases of the Wuhan infection being confirmed.

—Betsy McKay and Stephanie Yang contributed to this article.

Write to Natasha Khan at natasha.khan@wsj.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:11:58 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
one drug candidate bites the dust
« Reply #423 on: March 29, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
https://www.doximity.com/collections/5a030e69-d884-4112-9eef-1872038e3a5b?_eda_link_uuid=c63aaf2b-722e-4312-842f-45ec43b300db&_r=1&_ref=digest&_t=7703864&clicked=true&featured_item=docnews-articles%2F8059465&position=1&source=email_doc_news%3A%3Aspecialty_digest&utm_campaign=doc_news%3A%3Aspecialty_digest&utm_source=doximity-eda&utm_medium=email

for yrs I subscribed to NEJM then I started seeing all the PC correct articles and cancelled
I still was member of ACP and that got overwhelming PC and I cancelled.

The lead article in the Green journal this past month that I get sent to be for free is "why is there not more women in cardiology?"
   the article notes 51 % of new doctors are babes now , but only 20% of cardiologists.

My thought: why should I give a hoot.
No one is stopping them.

here it is ; good for bathroom reading which IS where I usually wind up reading it:

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(19)30866-6/fulltext

PS

and you can't even use it for toilet paper for those of us not savvy foresightful enough, like GM, to stock up.
the ink comes off the paper.

well do have another package of paper left.... but am close to out on paper towels.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:05:25 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: one drug candidate bites the dust, "Fail Fast"
« Reply #424 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
A friend who is a successful entrepreneur in biotech says the goal [other than to succeed] is to "fail fast".

With every new theory, drug, test procedure or treatment, whether you are the investor or the scientist, you want it to fail fast [if it is going to fail at all] and move the learning from it and your time and resources into the next theory, test, drug or treatment [until you get it right].

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/the-power-line-show-ep-174-a-look-at-covid-19-data-with-brian-sullivan.php

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
new estimate 100 to 200K?
« Reply #425 on: March 29, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
https://www.axios.com/fauci-coronavirus-deaths-america-aa3c1c66-329b-49a6-bcc4-50484ace46ed.html

a heck of a lot less then 3 to 5 million
the NYT wants to smear Trump with

that said only time will tell.
American ingenuity has not let us down yet - except maybe in politics.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Front Lines NYC Doc
« Reply #426 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
my sister sent me Dr Price's video
and it was noted on Watter's World last night

not a huge fan of saturday fox shows
but even with the choice of 100 stations or more I still can't find things I want to watch
  that is when I pick up a book
still reading about the 14th century plague

reading how the religious monks friars popes bishops etc were at least as much political and financial animals as religious!

at least bishopship was a collection of gays even then!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Face masks!
« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
second post

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/experts-say-face-masks-can-help-slow-covid-19-despite-previous-claims/

Sadly, they seem to be playing down the importance of masks because we can't have any.  Is that valid reason to hide the truth, i.e. lie?

That and the hand sanitizer scandal ...  these parts of the puzzle are solvable!

https://time.com/5811201/ethanol-producers-hand-sanitizer/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
I thought I posted response to this but didn't hit post I guess

Am doing this in between patients

I wondered about the face mask claim too.
for 36 years I was alway told when going into a patient's room in the hospital who had legionnaires or TB or other resp. born illness we. needed to wear mask to protect ourselves

now suddenly we are told they don't work
I wondered why for the new revelation ?
mask does not filter corona, mask was not tight enough,
people who wear them not taking them off correctly and just contaminating their hands? masks do not cover eyes?

or are we being fed a bunch of bullshit?

I think Doug is right
the elites decide what is best for us to know and not know.

now back to seeing patients.
I am done saying wash your hands blah blah blah
and everyone else I am sure is tired of hearing the same crap
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:07:43 PM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
State of the Research
« Reply #435 on: March 29, 2020, 10:39:06 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »
"Once in the ICU, patients typically need somewhere between 10 to 14 days of mechanical ventilation, Parodi said."

That is a long time

I read the Gilead drug seems to cut that length of time down a lot .

Not sure about chloroquine drug but likely that too.  ("doc I have malaria !" )

the sooner we get them off the vents the faster we get the vent tube into the next windpipe.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Epidemic death rate
« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
People are speculating Wuhan plague death rates, 100,000 US?  Here is my prediction:  The [overall] death rate in the US and in the world will be statistically unchanged in this period we are in.  More COVID deaths, fewer of some of the others, less air pollution, better hygiene and distancing, fewer traffic deaths etc.  Leading causes of death will still be heart disease and cancer.  I hope the current crisis and panic does not get in the way of my friends who need cancer treatment now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 30, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
The Coronavirus Threat To view this article, Click Here
Brian S. Wesbury, Chief Economist
Robert Stein, Deputy Chief Economist
Date: 3/30/2020

Total deaths in the US from COVID19 look like they'll hit at least 3,000 by the end of March. A potentially brutal April lies ahead.

In the meantime, the measures taken to limit deaths have temporarily tanked the US economy. Initial claims for jobless benefits soared to 3.283 million per week, easily the highest ever. The prior record was 695,000 in October 1982; the highest during the Great Recession was 665,000.

Policymakers have reacted to the economic damage with massive measures. The Federal Reserve has reduced interest rates to nearly zero, has begged banks to use the discount window, embarked on unlimited quantitative easing, and is backstopping an unprecedented array of markets, including commercial paper, money markets, commercial mortgages, and municipal securities.

Meanwhile, we have a newly enacted "stimulus" bill that could total $2 trillion, possibly more. These include IRS checks, a major expansion in unemployment benefits, as well as a broad combination of grants, loans, and loan guarantees for businesses (large and small), hospitals, schools, and state and local governments.

The federal budget deficit for this fiscal year, previously estimated by the Congressional Budget Office to be about $1.1 trillion, could easily run around $2.5 trillion, and that's without other major spending bills. Since World War II, the largest budget deficit relative to GDP was 9.8% in 2009; but a $2.5 trillion deficit this year could be about 11.8% of GDP.

Of course, these monetary and fiscal measures are on top of the massive economic interference - designed to stem the virus -by governments at all levels. The longer these measures persist, the greater the risk of atrophy setting in for small business across the country, making them less able to reopen in the future. The loss of intangible capital would be enormous, the internal knowledge of how to get things done. Slower economic growth in the post-COVID19 world would be the result.

It's important that the expansion of government is not made permanent. The New Deal took annual federal spending from about 3% of GDP to about 10% of GDP (before World War II) and we never went back, or even close. Policymakers need to avoid making COVID19 an excuse for another permanent leap upward in the size of government, which would erode future living standards versus where they would otherwise go.

Once we have a vaccine, some things have to change. Governments at all levels should consider "strategic health reserves" of masks, ventilators, respirators,...whatever is needed in an emergency, so we don't have to take drastic measures again. Our recent response should not be a periodic feature of American life.

Dr. Fauci recently said there could be 100,000 – 200,000 deaths. The mid-point would be 47 people per 100,000 residents, not much different from the number of people the US lost to the flu in early 1953, late 1957, early 1960, the peak of the 1968-69 Hong Kong Flu, or early 1976.

Those episodes didn't permanently expand government and neither should this one. In order to be better prepared in the future, we need a vibrant private sector, not a permanent expansion in government.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
OC CA
« Reply #439 on: March 30, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
the impeachment russia gig for the left
« Reply #440 on: March 30, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
CNN et al.

is not going to let Orange man get any credit and will keep saying it everything is his fault.

every time I wiz by CNN the bottom hashtag is something , anything negative
about Trump or the response or death toll is rising and not enough tests.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ron Paul another view
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:13 PM »
https://www.westernjournal.com/dr-ron-paul-hits-nail-head-no-nonsense-coronavirus-interview/

he was a gynecologist I think

I agree about the power grabbing and the use of this for political gain
but not really with the rest

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The bureaucracy did it
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hungary's Orban given total power
« Reply #446 on: March 31, 2020, 04:28:02 AM »
Hungary’s parliament gave Prime Minister Viktor Orbán the right to rule by decree until his government decides the coronavirus crisis has ended, defying criticism from European Union leaders that the pandemic is providing cover for his and other governments to crack down on democratic freedoms.

The bill, passed on Monday almost entirely by votes from the prime minister’s nationalist party, Fidesz, contained two important provisions: If parliament is unable to meet, which its leaders have already said would be difficult, Mr. Orbán could continue to govern under a state of emergency, creating and suspending laws by decree. Only Mr. Orbán’s government, or a two-thirds majority in parliament, could decide when this period would come to an end.

Secondly, the law imposes a maximum of five years’ prison time against those who intentionally spread false news or “distorted truth” that is seen to be detrimental to the government’s efforts to fight the virus and address its economic toll.

Military police patrolled the Hungarian capital on Monday, amid a national lockdown to halt the spread of the new coronavirus.
PHOTO: ZOLTAN BALOGH/ASSOCIATED PRESS
The law came under criticism from EU leaders and some legal scholars, who said that the coronavirus crisis has now given Mr. Orbán autocratic powers that can only be clawed back by his own cabinet, or his party, which controls two-thirds of seats in parliament.

The bill is part of a spate of new measures in Europe that target individuals who share rumors or falsehoods that hinder the battle against the pandemic.

Mr. Orbán has rejected such criticism, saying that the EU has been less helpful to Hungary than China, which sent 3 million medical masks last week. Fighting the virus will require unusual measures for an indefinite period, said Mr. Orbán, who has promised to relinquish his rule-by-decree powers as soon as the crisis ends.

“There are situations in which one cannot be polite,” he said during a radio broadcast on Saturday. “So I plainly told EU nit-pickers, if I may put it that way, that this is not the time to come to me pontificating about all sorts of no doubt fascinating legal and theoretical questions. Because now we have a crisis, now we have an epidemic, and now we must save lives.”

Hungary has had 447 confirmed Covid-19 cases as of Monday, with 15 deaths, since its first case on March 4. Members of Mr. Orbán’s party said they worried that the government would cease to function if they fell ill before affording their prime minister extraordinary powers.

Related Video
Coronavirus Update: Social-Distancing Extended and Make-or-Break Week
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

The White House extends social-distancing guidelines to April 30, bills are due this week for millions of Americans, and while China gradually reopens, India sees a mass exodus of workers leaving cities. WSJ’s Shelby Holliday has the latest on the pandemic. Photo: Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images
“We needed a law for the worst-case scenario when parliament is unable to operate,” said a Fidesz member of parliament who declined to be named because he wasn’t authorized by the party to speak to the press. “What if all of us will be in the hospital?”

The law is one in a number of emergency measures that human-rights groups worry will leave parts of the world less democratic than before the coronavirus pandemic, including Russia, Bolivia and Israel.

Europe has seen a crackdown on press freedoms and social media, as some governments try to snuff out news that they feel spreads unwarranted panic. Serbia, Montenegro and Hungary have launched investigations into some social-media posts, and in some cases arrested individuals involved. In February, police in Budapest raided a building and detained two people suspected of seeding articles and Facebook posts that inflated Hungary’s death toll.

“Political leaders could abuse the coronavirus crisis to undermine democracy,” wrote Andras Racz, senior fellow at the German Council on Foreign Relations. “Europe’s biggest risk is Hungary.”

Mr. Orbán, a nationalist known for fencing off his border to migrants, has long feuded with the EU’s center-right and liberal blocs. The 56-year-old prime minister, who has led Hungary for nearly half of its postcommunist history, has won repeat landslide elections in part by campaigning against the union’s political establishment.

“We’re not preventing anyone from doing their job,” said Eric Mamer, the spokesperson of the European Commission, after receiving a question on Mr. Orbán’s comments on Monday. “At the same time, however, we are vigilant and we ensure compliance with EU standards in all areas of politics during the fight against the coronavirus.”

Write to Drew Hinshaw at drew.hinshaw@wsj.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile