Author Topic: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS  (Read 664133 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
more than 100 clerks of Justice Thomas speak
« Reply #1850 on: September 01, 2023, 08:31:49 AM »
funny , while doing search on this
I find zero nadda zilch nothing from the MSM on this

only leftist polls that show the confidence in the Supreme Court has declined from 80 to 60 % .....

media mob  :x :x :x corrupt as always

carrying the Leftist shyster propaganda with glee

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Griggs v Duke Power 2.0
« Reply #1851 on: September 25, 2023, 08:25:00 AM »
This article is about a SCOTUS case that stunned me when I read it in law school:  IQ tests discriminate against blacks?!?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Michigan Supreme Court : "they" pronoun is fine
« Reply #1853 on: October 02, 2023, 09:02:50 AM »
https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/michigan-supreme-court-becomes-first-in-nation-to-adopt-they-pronoun-for-court-proceedings-records-5500939?utm_source=Morningbrief&src_src=Morningbrief&utm_campaign=mb-2023-10-02&src_cmp=mb-2023-10-02&utm_medium=email&est=CNVY%2F51LxelvohQ3OFBNUgb3E5IR%2BB8IDj2%2FJfuQEE%2FRiqRXv44uxNXTzNA%3D

I have seen
more accurate
what is birth sex
and maybe what is preffered gender (not sex ) now

questions which seems better
NOT "THEY" !

Does not make any medical sense and I don't know why courts need to play this game .

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Supreme Court : "they" pronoun is fine
« Reply #1854 on: October 02, 2023, 09:34:23 AM »
Right.  How do you teach our common language without identifying they them as plural?

Maybe 'they' have a right to a new pronoun and ask us to use it, but they don't have a right to steal and corrupt our language.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS
« Reply #1855 on: October 02, 2023, 07:15:45 PM »
My terms:

Chick with a dick= SheHe

Castrated Dude:  HeShe

Asexual third person singular:  Ta  (taken from Mandarin, meaning he or she)

Possessive third person singular: Taz -- recreating the Z sound of his.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: The CFPB case
« Reply #1856 on: October 05, 2023, 02:34:46 AM »

Clearly unC'l IMHO-- I am surprised at Thomas here.

=================
Justice Gorsuch on the Spending Power
Is there any ceiling, or floor, to what the CFPB can decide to spend?
By
The Editorial Board
Follow
Oct. 3, 2023 6:36 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(3 min)

Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch PHOTO: J. SCOTT APPLEWHITE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard oral arguments in a challenge to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s novel self-funding scheme (CFPB v. Community Financial Services Assn.) A telling moment came when Justice Neil Gorsuch pressed the Solicitor General on the limits to the agency’s appropriations power.

OPINION: POTOMAC WATCH
WSJ Opinion Potomac Watch
Opening Arguments in Donald Trump's New York Fraud Trial

SUBSCRIBE
Add to Queue
Explore Audio Center
Democrats insulated the CFPB from political accountability in the Dodd-Frank Act by letting it obtain its funding from the Federal Reserve, unlike any other federal agency. Payday lenders say this violates the Constitution’s command that “no Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law.”

The CFPB’s legal brief argued the scheme was constitutional in part because the law sets a limit of $734 million, adjusted annually for inflation, on the amount that the Fed can transfer to the bureau. But the Solicitor General on Tuesday contended that the CFPB’s self-funding arrangement would be constitutional even if there were no cap.

“Could Congress pass the same law with no upper limit, allowing the executive branch to determine however much it wished to take?” Justice Gorsuch asked. SG Elizabeth Prelogar replied: “We don’t think that Congress would have to provide a statutory specified amount.”

Justice Gorsuch then probed: What if the President requested a trillion dollars from the Fed for the agency? Ms. Prelogar wavered, noting that the law limits the CFPB’s funding to what the director determines is “reasonably necessary.” But other than that, she couldn’t articulate even a hypothetical upper limit. If there’s no ceiling, is there a floor?

“What if the President decided zero was the appropriate sum? I’m not going to take any money. I don’t like the CFPB,” Justice Gorsuch asked. Ms. Prelogar replied that if the President didn’t enforce the laws, “I would expect Congress to step in and change the funding mechanism,” but “I don’t think the Appropriations Clause would be a check there.”

Under the Administration’s theory, there’s no limiting principle to executive power. A Democratic Congress could empower the Internal Revenue Service to fund itself like the CFPB with no spending limit. But a Republican President could also later zero out the IRS’s tax enforcement funding.

Justice Clarence Thomas said the CFPB’s unprecedented funding scheme doesn’t make it unconstitutional per se. But as Noel Francisco, who represented payday lenders, argued, “At a bare minimum, the Appropriations Clause requires Congress to determine how much the government should be spending.”

Congress abdicated its spending power by delegating it to the CFPB. Surely this wasn’t what the Framers intended by writing checks and balances into the Constitution.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mixed Bag re Missouri v. Biden
« Reply #1858 on: October 20, 2023, 03:25:05 PM »
So the SCOTUS will hear Missouri v. Biden, and I have a hard time believing they will allow those first amendment violations to continue in view of the findings of the lower courts, but they’ve stayed enforcement of the lower court orders until this is heard by the SCOTUS, which strikes me as a reeking case of justice delayed:

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/10/20/court-agrees-to-hear-missouri-v-biden-federal-government-social-media-case/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS
« Reply #1859 on: October 20, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
WTF?!?

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: October 20, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »
WTF?!?

For real. And a lot of people are treating this as some sort of free speech win. Either I’m missing something or folks are quite confident someone like Roberts won’t be swayed, creating some sort of 5-4 abomination.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
the financial colonoscopy of Just. Thomas continues
« Reply #1861 on: October 26, 2023, 10:37:42 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-finance-committee-probe-clarence-231312783.html

yet my eyebrows to get raised with these reports.

does seem questionable ethically.

if only the LEFT would also investigate the Biden family the same way ..............

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 26, 2023, 01:36:12 PM »
"“The Thomases made all payments to Mr. Welters on a regular basis until the terms of the agreement were satisfied in full,” he said. Berke declined to provide additional information."

We shall see.  Until then, what is possibly a smear will be enthusiastically spread and should it need correcteing, the damage will already be done.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Thomas Best Justice of All Time
« Reply #1865 on: January 03, 2024, 10:01:40 PM »
A compelling read:

Defending Clarence Thomas from My Good Friend Steve Lubet
The Volokh Conspiracy / by Steven Calabresi / January 03, 2024 at 03:21AM
[The best and most incorruptible Supreme Court Justice in U.S. History]

My good friend from the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law faculty Steve Lubet has very politely, but firmly taken issue with my recent post on this Blog about Justice Clarence Thomas.  Steve does "not question [my] assessment of Thomas's exceptional intellect."  But he does question my assertion that Justice Thomas is the best of the 116 justices to have sat on the Supreme Court.  I want to begin by defending that claim before turning to the ethics issues that Steve is troubled by.

First, I am not alone in thinking that Clarence Thomas is the best of the 116 Justices to ever serve on the Supreme Court.  I am one of the three co-founders and the 40 year Co-Chairman of the Federalist Society's Board of Directors.  The Society has 70,000 members nationwide, chapters at every law school in the country, lawyers chapters in every major city in the country, and a substantial presence on the federal judiciary.  After forty years of attending thousands of Federalist Society gatherings, I have a pretty good sense of what Federalist Society members think.  They adored the late Justice Antonin Scalia, but after Clarence Thomas had been on the Supreme Court for about ten years—a frequent parlor game got started when Federalists got together.  They would ask themselves who was right in those cases in which Justices Scalia and Thomas disagreed.  The nearly unanimous answer was that Justice Thomas was right.

While Justice Scalia travelled all over the world and the United States giving speeches praising originalism and extolling its virtues, Justice Thomas worked in his office writing very consistent and powerful originalist opinions that started driving the Supreme Court in his direction.  Some people said sadly as a joke that Justice Thomas had the courage of Justice Scalia's opinions.  See Antonin Scalia, Originalism: The Lesser Evil, 57 U. Cinn. L. Rev. 849 (1988-1989) (arguing for faint hearted originalism that did not overturn major precedents).  All too often, as in Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005) a case about whether the federal government had power under the Commerce and Necessary and Proper Clauses, to prosecute a cancer patient for growing three medical marijuana plants in her kitchen, Justice Scalia was in the liberal majority for national power and Justice Thomas was in dissent along with Chief Justice Rehnquist and Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

These episodes added up, and Justice Scalia served only twenty-nine years on the Supreme Court, while Justice Thomas is still going strong in his thirty-third year on the Supreme Court.  I am not alone in thinking that Justice Thomas is the best of the 116 justices to have served on the Supreme Court today.  Most Federalist Society members who I talk to think the same way.  It is striking and a wonderful thing for the country that an overwhelmingly white group of conservative and libertarian lawyers would look up to a Black man as their personal hero.  Many of the six Republican appointees on the current Supreme Court are beloved by the Federalist Society membership.  The three Trump appointees fall in that category, but they have not been on the Court for long enough to form a reputation.  Federalist Society members greatly admire Justice Alito, but they regret that he is not really an originalist, that he follows precedent over the text of the Constitution, and has never ruled for a criminal defendant.  Similar complaints are made about Chief Justice Roberts.  Chief Justice Roberts is also seen as being too political and too concerned with public opinion about the Court.  In my view, this is a form of corruption.

Well what about the justices who served from 1790 to 1986 when Justice Scalia joined the Supreme Court.  William Rehnquist and Byron White are condemned by Federalist Society members as being just right-wing legal realists—the right's copy of Justice William O. Douglas.  The Berger Court is viewed as having been a wasteland of intellectual mediocrities including Chief Justice Burger and Justices Harry Blackmun, Louis Powell, Potter Stewart, and Sandra Day O'Connor.  The left wing justices on that Court all embrace left wing legal realism from William Brennan to Thurgood Marshall to John Paul Stevens.  The Warren Court clocks in at higher mental acuity, but the only Warren Court justice who is really admirable is Hugo L. Black and, on occasion, Earl Warren himself.  Six of the nine members of the New Deal Court joined the opinion in Korematsu v. United States, so it is hard to be wildly enthusiastic about any of them.

The pre-New Deal Supreme Court draws some admiration, but other than Justice Willis Van Devanter, I cannot say I have any heroes on the Taft or Hughes Court except for Van Devanter and Hughes himself.  The Supreme Court from Abraham Lincoln's Administration to the 1920's was filled with mediocrities who followed their policy judgments and not the law.  The Supreme Court from 1790 to 1860 had thirty six justices of which only four—two each appointed by John Adams and John Quincy Adams—opposed slavery.  The other thirty-two justices were appointed by slaveowner Presidents or northern dough-faces complicit in slavery.   This reflects the advantage the three-fifths clause gave the South in the Electoral College.  The South had a near monopoly on the presidency prior to 1861 and therefore on Supreme Court appointments.   Hence such decisions as Prigg v. Pennsylvania, 41 U.S. 539 ( 1842) and Dred Scott v. Sanford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857).

The truth is that the vast majority, probably ninety percent of the justices who have served on the Supreme Court, have been disappointments.  This is one reason why the current Court should follow the original public meaning of the text of the Constitution and not the morass of erroneous Supreme Court opinions interpreting it.  So yes, I will stick my neck out and say that Clarence Thomas followed by Antonin Scalia are the best justices so far to have served on the Supreme Court. I have read hundreds of Justice Thomas's opinions, and they are all exquisitely crafted, methodologically consistent, and are written in his own distinctive authorial voice.  He never caves in to popular opinion or worries about how the public will react to his rulings, but instead he follows the rule of law in case after case.  Liberal law school professors ignore Justice Thomas's opinions and do not read them, so they miss the genius of his intellect.  I do not always agree with Justice Thomas, but I always understand and respect why he came out the way he did in any given case.

Steve Lubet pokes fun at my argument that if Congress had adjusted the Supreme Court justice's salaries for inflation since 1969, they would now make $500,000 a year, and Thomas would need less help from his billionaire friends, but the point is simply true.  Steve is right that Republican Congresses, as well as Democratic Congresses, are to blame for this this, but the facts are what they are.  High salaries for government officials allow the poor to serve in government and not only the rich.  There is a public interest in making it possible for someone like Thomas who grew up dirt poor, and then served in government for his whole life as a lawyer, to be able to live comfortably and be paid the salary of a law school Dean.

Precisely because Clarence Thomas has such a worked out originalist methodology for deciding cases, which he always follows he cannot be bribed and is not at all influenced by public opinion.  That is why I say Clarence Thomas is incorruptible.  He always as a judge does what is right.  The fact that he has friends who are conservative billionaires irks leftist law professors who yearn for the days when swing justices like Potter Stewart, Lewis Powell, Sandra Day O'Connor, and Anthony M. Kennedy were all influenced by the Linda Greenhouse effect. They all compromised their principles to be in good standing with Ivy League law professors and the Georgetown cocktail party set.  But, this is a form of corruption far more insidious than anything alleged about Clarence Thomas and his billionaire friends.  Thomas was never bribed in his official actions by money, but Justices Powell, O'Connor; and Kennedy were, in effect, bribed by the Linda Greenhouse effect.

As to Justice Thomas's failure to disclose gifts, he asked what the policy was and was told by his colleagues not to worry about disclosing vacation travel or gifts to support his elderly mother or the boy he is raising who has been abandoned.  Congress has no enumerated power to require the justices to disclose any gifts anyway.  Such a law is not necessary and proper for carrying into execution the judicial power of the United States.  Steven Gow Calabresi, Elise Kostial, Gary Lawson, What McCulloch v. Maryland got Wrong: The Original Meaning of "Necessary" is not "Useful," "Convenient," or "Rational", 75 Baylor Law Review 1 (2023).

Justice Thomas has lived a good life.  He has exemplified the four classical Greek and Roman virtues of: 1) Courage; 2) Temperance; 3) Justice; and 4) Prudence.  Justice Thomas is by far and away the bravest justice on the Supreme Court.  He has been vilified for being the personal hero of the 70,000 member Federalist Society, and he has learned to live with it.  Justice Thomas does not eat, drink, or travel to excess.  He practices temperance.  Justice Thomas is devoted to Justice.  He has stuck a golden mean between selfishness and selflessness. And, finally, Justice Thomas exhibits prudence—the ability to see ahead and to govern oneself and discipline oneself by the use of reason.  Justice Thomas also lives out the three Christian Virtues of faith, hope, and love.  He is the only justice who knows the names of every employee at the Supreme Court as well as what their struggles with children are.  He is as beloved by the cafeteria workers, librarians, and police officers at the Supreme Court as he is by the 70,000 Federalist Society members. In a little more than four years, Clarence Thomas will replace William O. Douglas as the longest serving Supreme Court justice in American history.  He has a record all Americans should be very proud of.

The post Defending Clarence Thomas from My Good Friend Steve Lubet appeared first on Reason.com.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Johnathan Turley on Dems plans to pack SCOTUS with the first opportunity
« Reply #1867 on: January 09, 2024, 08:34:46 AM »
https://jonathanturley.org/2024/01/09/unpacking-by-packing-the-court-the-left-has-a-new-orwellian-mantra/#more-213942

Thus do to our courts what libs have done in Israel (which does not have a Constitution)

Libs here can simply twist/contort the Constitution anyway they like.

Lawfare is warfare I say again

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 10, 2024, 05:51:28 AM »
 :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Johnathan Turley on Dems plans to pack SCOTUS with the first opportunity
« Reply #1869 on: January 10, 2024, 06:16:38 AM »
https://jonathanturley.org/2024/01/09/unpacking-by-packing-the-court-the-left-has-a-new-orwellian-mantra/#more-213942

Thus do to our courts what libs have done in Israel (which does not have a Constitution)

Libs here can simply twist/contort the Constitution anyway they like.

Lawfare is warfare I say again

Agree, lawfare is warfare.  Knowing you can settle political disputes at the ballot box and other disputes in the courts is why we don't have civil wars more often.

Obama did 'pack the Court'.  His governance caused the Republican majority in the Senate and the Republican win of the White House, and Joe Biden is about to do it again.  Harry Reid released the Senate of needing 60 votes. 

Don't these projectionists realize that "packing" the Court with the politically aligned outside of waiting for vacancies and filling them as they come up IS a way of becoming the dictatorship they falsely say they so fear?

Every time they say they fear a Trump dictatorship, hear that they want to be the dictatorship.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Takings get Took to the Wood Shed?
« Reply #1870 on: January 10, 2024, 12:28:55 PM »
https://reason.com/volokh/2024/01/10/supreme-court-oral-argument-indicates-radical-agreement-that-there-is-no-legislative-exception-to-the-takings-clause/

[Ilya Somin] Supreme Court Oral Argument Indicates "Radical Agreement" that there is no "Legislative Exception" to the Takings Clause
The Volokh Conspiracy by Ilya Somin / Jan 10, 2024 at 1:37 PM//keep unread//hide

[That's the big takeaway from yesterday's oral argument in Sheetz v. County of El Dorado. But it's not clear whether the Court will resolve any additional issues, and if so how.]

Yesterday, the Supreme Court heard oral argument in Sheetz v. County of El Dorado, an important Takings Clause property rights case. When the Supreme Court decided to take the case, most observers (myself included) thought the main issue would be whether there is a "legislative exception" to takings liability in at least some situations where the Fifth Amendment otherwise requires the government to pay "just compensation." In Nollan v. California Coastal Commission, Dolan v. City of Tigard, and other cases, the Supreme Court previously ruled that state and local governments sometimes violate the Takings Clause when they impose exactions as a condition of letting property owners develop their land. Some lower courts—including the California Court of Appeals in this case—have held there is no Takings Clause liability for land-use exactions in cases where the requirement was imposed by legislation, rather than by executive officials or regulatory agencies.

In Sheetz, a property owner had been barred by the Country from building a single-family home on his property unless he first payed at $23,420 "traffic mitigation" fee. The official question presented by the case is this:

Whether a building-permit exaction is exempt from the unconstitutional-conditions doctrine as applied in Nollan v. California Coastal Commission and Dolan v. City of Tigard, Oregon simply because it is authorized by legislation.

If yesterday's oral argument is any indication, the Supreme Court won't have any trouble concluding the answer is "no." All or nearly all of the justices seem to agree there is no legislative exception. Indeed, even counsel for the County of El Dorado agreed.

In answer to a question by Justice Thomas, she stated that the answer to the question of whether a permit condition qualifies as a taking cannot be answered "by looking
at whether there is some sort of legislation." Chief Justice John Roberts immediately noted that her "answer to the question presented is, I think, the same as the Petitioner [the property owner]."

Justice Neil Gorsuch later said he "thought we had taken the case address [the] question of whether Nollan and Dolan simply [do not] apply to legislative enactments of any kind," but oral argument revealed there is "radical agreement" on that issue. Gorsuch is a conservative justice and strong advocate of constitutional property rights. But liberal Justice Elena Kagan similarly stated there "there is radical agreement…. that you don't get a pass from unconstitutional conditions analysis just because you've passed generally applicable legislation. And that's, of course, true in unconstitutional conditions analysis generally, and so too it's true of unconstitutional conditions analysis in the property area."

With such unaccustomed consensus between the justices and the parties to the case, I think it overwhelmingly likely the Court will rule there is no such thing as a "legislative exception" to takings liability. The justices may even be unanimous on that issue (though I am not entirely sure Justice Sotomayor will agree, so they may not). For reasons summarized here, I think this resounding rejection of the legislative exception theory will be the right result.

That, however, still leaves the difficult question of what kinds of regulatory fees qualify as takings, and which do not. Over the course of the oral argument, the justices struggled with this issue. It's hard to tell what they will say if they try to resolve it, and how broad the resulting ruling will be.

A number of questions focused on the issue of whether tolls and user fees qualify as takings if the property owner prevails. I think the answer is "no," because there is a crucial distinction between the government charging a fee for the use of public property (such as a highway), and charging a fee in exchange for letting the owner use his or her own property, as in this case, where Sheetz must pay a large sum just to be able to build a house on his own land. Some justices also raised the perennial issue of how to distinguish takings from property taxes.

The Court could avoid these problems entirely by limiting its holding to the legislative exception issue (which, after all, was the focus of the official question presented), and remanding the rest to the lower courts. Gorsuch and Thomas appeared to want to do just that. But I don't know if there are three other justices who will go along with that approach. If not, it's hard to predict how much further the Court will go with its holding and what it will say.

For more analysis of the Sheetz oral argument, check out posts by Robert Thomas at Inverse Condemnation, and Tim Mulvaney at PropertyProfblog. Mulvaney has helpful additional details on what the Court might do if they decide to go beyond simply rejecting the legislative exception theory.

NOTE: The property owner is represented by the Pacific Legal Foundation, which is also my wife's employer. However, she is not part of the litigation team working on the case.

The post Supreme Court Oral Argument Indicates "Radical Agreement" that there is no "Legislative Exception" to the Takings Clause appeared first on Reason.com.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Fare the Well Ye Unelected Regulators?
« Reply #1871 on: January 15, 2024, 06:46:48 PM »
Will the SCOTUS tell our elected officials it’s their job to state the regulatory outcomes a given law is meant to bring, yanking that power from the current factotums pretending to divine legislative intent?

https://nypost.com/2024/01/14/opinion/supreme-court-poised-to-end-constitutional-revolution-thats-marred-us-governance-for-40-years/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=facebook_app&fbclid=IwAR3Yrx2WJo1OaEC5TirMXLbaOoqitq9rNks9rV7rsvNnMtAkFaiRklAMUYU

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 16, 2024, 04:40:47 PM »
Great minds think alike.  See my post today at: 
https://firehydrantoffreedom.com/index.php?topic=2228.300

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Chevron cases before court
« Reply #1873 on: January 18, 2024, 07:40:22 AM »
Congress and Chevron Deference
The judicial doctrine has made it easy to abdicate power to bureaucrats.
By The Editorial Board
Jan. 17, 2024 6:38 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(3 min)

The Supreme Court in Washington. PHOTO: MARIAM ZUHAIB/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Judging by the left’s reaction, the Supreme Court’s oral arguments on Wednesday in two cases challenging the doctrine of Chevron deference didn’t go well for the government. “Disturbing oral arguments suggest dark turn for Supreme Court,” moaned the Alliance for Justice. Progressives are disturbed that the Justices might make Congress do its job.

OPINION: POTOMAC WATCH
WSJ Opinion Potomac Watch
The Supreme Court Might Rein In the Administrative State

SUBSCRIBE
Add to Queue
Explore Audio Center
Wednesday’s cases (Relentless v. Dept. of Commerce, and Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo) concern a regulation issued by the Trump Administration. Commerce contends that the government can force herring fisheries to pay for on-board federal monitors because federal law is silent on the matter. Lower courts agreed based on the Court’s Chevron doctrine, which requires judges to defer to regulators when the text is ambiguous as long as their interpretation of the law is reasonable.

Justice Elena Kagan said it’s up to Congress to overturn Chevron. But as fisheries’ attorney Paul Clement rightly rejoined: “I’m not sure everybody in Congress wants to overrule Chevron . . . It’s really convenient for some members of Congress not to have to tackle the hard questions and to rely on their friends in the executive branch to get them everything they want.”

He added that even if Congress were to pass a law overturning Chevron, “the President would veto it.” In any event, he said, Chevron wrongly “assumes that ambiguity is always a delegation” to the executive branch. More often, ambiguity is “‘I don’t have enough votes in Congress to make it clear, so I’m going to leave it ambiguous . . . and then we’ll give it to my friends in the agency.’”

By allowing Congress to pass off responsibility to regulators, Chevron has contributed to legislative dysfunction and gridlock. Congress has failed to pass a law regulating crypto-currency after the FTX fiasco, Mr. Clement said, “because there’s an agency head out there that thinks that he already has the authority to address this uniquely 21st century problem with a couple of statutes passed in the 1930s.”

Perhaps he means Securities and Exchange Chairman Gary Gensler. “And he’s going to wave his wand, and he’s going to say the words ‘investment contract’ are ambiguous,” Mr. Clement said. Or consider that the Federal Communications Commission has rewritten broadband regulation four times in 14 years.

It’s not too much to say Chevron has corrupted all three branches of government. It lets Congress abdicate its duty to write clear laws, the bureaucracy to grab more power, and the courts to abandon their normal method of judicial review. Time for the High Court to restore constitutional equilibrium.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Can AI Commit Libel? If So, Who (or What) can be Held to Account?
« Reply #1874 on: January 21, 2024, 05:24:06 AM »
Perhaps not quite constitutional law, but given the question of agency this case will be interesting to track:

https://reason.com/volokh/2024/01/17/court-lets-first-ai-libel-case-go-forward/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 23, 2024, 11:13:37 AM »
If I am not mistaken, the court's decision is to lift an injunction against the Feds while the litigation continues.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Just. Sotomayor
« Reply #1877 on: January 31, 2024, 09:07:20 AM »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Halbrook on Chevron
« Reply #1878 on: February 01, 2024, 06:20:20 PM »
Stephen Halbrook’s That Every Man be Armed is my go to when it comes to the contextual history of the second amendment—I’m forever picking up used copies and then passing ‘em on to others as a means of evangelizing for the second tenth of the Bill of Rights—as such when Halbrook has something to say I tend to listen. Here’s his take on Chevron:

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=14815

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 06, 2024, 05:07:46 AM »
[Jonathan H. Adler] Whether Chevron Stands or Falls, Any Deference Should Be Based Upon Delegation, Not Ambiguity

The Volokh Conspiracy / by Jonathan H. Adler / February 05, 2024 at 11:36PM

Lower courts had initially adopted a rule requiring complete notice to trigger the rule.
[Some thoughts on the most important issue in Relentless and Loper Bright.]

The Supreme Court recently heard argument in two cases in which the petitioners have asked the justices to reconsider the Chevron doctrine. The Court's willingness to reconsider Chevron has been a long time coming. As I explained in my opening remarks at a recent Solomon Center panel at Yale Law School, concern about Chevron, and in particular how it has been applied in lower courts, has been building for some time.

Recall that in 2018, in Pereira v. Sessions, in what would be one of his last opinions on the Court, Justice Anthony Kennedy raised deep concerns about the way Chevron has been understood and applied in lower courts.

At issue was the timing and amount of notice the federal government must give non-citizen, non-permanent residents to trigger the stop time rule, which can affect whether such individuals are allowed to remain in the United States.

Lower courts had initially adopted a rule requiring complete notice to trigger the rule. Ultimately, however, in the context of individual adjudications, the Board of Immigration Appeals disagreed. This prompted multiple circuit courts to adopt the contrary rule—a rule contrary to what courts had previously determined was the best interpretation of the statute (and the interpretation eight of nine justices would later conclude was compelled by the statutory text.)

Even though there was little statutory basis for the BIA's stingy, late-developed, pro-deportation interpretation, a majority of circuit courts had upheld it because the statute was ambiguous.

As Justice Kennedy remarked, the sort of analysis courts conducted in these cases to justify upholding the BIA's interpretation, relying upon Chevron, constituted "an abdication of the Judiciary's proper role in interpreting federal statutes."

Wrote Kennedy:

The type of reflexive deference exhibited in some of these cases is troubling. And when deference is applied to other questions of statutory interpretation, such as an agency's interpretation of the statutory provisions that concern the scope of its own authority, it is more troubling still.

Given the concerns raised by some Members of this Court, it seems necessary and appropriate to reconsider, in an appropriate case, the premises that underlie Chevron and how courts have implemented that decision. The proper rules for interpreting statutes and determining agency jurisdiction and substantive agency powers should accord with constitutional separation-of-powers principles and the function and province of the Judiciary.

If Justice Kennedy expressed such concerns in 2018, it should not surprise us that–some five years later with little evident change–the Court has is reconsidering Chevron.

As I see it, the Court has reached this point because of a range of concerns, some (but not all) of which Kennedy identified in Pereira.

First, in practice, Chevron is often used to uphold agency interpretations that have little to do with allowing agencies to exercise their delegated authority to make policy judgments based upon agency expertise. The procedural issue in Pereira would seem to be a good example of this.

Second, despite Supreme Court decisions suggesting that ambiguity alone is insufficient to trigger Chevron deference, lower courts often fail to engage in any meaningful "step zero" analysis in order to make sure that Congress had delegated the relevant authority to the agency. Instead, Chevron has become an excuse for courts to abdicate their responsibility to resolve legal questions in favor of agencies.

Third, as highlighted in the various recent major questions cases, agencies increasingly view Chevron as a license to go on a scavenger hunt for plausible statutory authority to implement policies favored by the executive branch, whether or not such policies have been authorized by Congress. Put another way, rather than facilitating the ability of agencies to faithfully execute the law Congress enacts, Chevron is used to enable agencies to go their own way.

A fourth concern, most acute in areas in which agencies make policy through adjudication (as in immigration and labor policy) is that agencies are able to change their interpretations–and thus change the applicable law– without going through the sort of open and deliberative rulemaking process that ensures those who will be subject to the rule have notice and an opportunity to be heard.

What these concerns have in common is that they all represent a failure of agencies and lower courts to take seriously the idea that Chevron deference is grounded in delegation, and that this idea necessarily entails limits on Chevron's domain.  While some initially sought to justify Chevron on separation of powers or broad policy grounds, the Supreme Court's post-Chevron jurisprudence (including, but not limited to, cases like Mead) make clear that if Chevron is to be justified, it must rest on the conclusion that Congress delegated such authority to the agency in question, and that where there is no indication that such a delegation occurred, there is no basis for courts to defer to an agency interpretation. Put another way, Chevron deference should apply only in those instances where it can be presumed that Congress delegated authority to an agency to resolve what is essentially a policy choice – e.g. whether an air pollution "source" should be defined so as to accommodate "bubble" policies – and not because agencies have any inherent authority to make such choices.

A key question in Relentless and Loper Bright is whether the concerns outlined above require overturning Chevron. For myself, I am skeptical. I am on record suggesting that, in addition to the failure of courts to respect the limits of Chevron's proper domain, that the underlying issue is the scope of authority that Congress delegates to agencies. In other words, a doctrine that focuses on delegation as the source of deference – as opposed to mere ambiguity – would likely do the trick, but this requires clarifying how many understand Chevron. As Thomas Merrill noted on this blog, while parts of Chevron stress the need to determine whether Congress delegated a given policy choice to the agency in question, other parts of the opinion suggest ambiguity or silence is sufficient to justify deference. Some subsequent opinions, such as that in City of Arlington v. FCC, further muddied the waters.

As it happens, the question presented in both Loper Bright and Relentless gives the Court ample space to navigate these questions.  The question presented deliberately and carefully presents two possible ways to resolve the case and address Justice Kennedy's concerns. Here's the QP for both cases:

Whether the Court should overrule Chevron or at least clarify that statutory silence concerning controversial powers expressly but narrowly granted elsewhere in the statute does not constitute an ambiguity requiring deference to the agency.

The QP suggests the Court overturn Chevron, but it also gives the Court room to clarify (and perhaps reorient) Chevron to focus on the delegation question–and to do so in a way that aligns nicely with the Court's recent major questions doctrine decisions. Specifically, the Court could emphasize that, before even considering whether to defer to an agency, they must first conclude that Congress delegated authority to the agency in question to resolve a policy issue with the force of law, and that when a statute is silent on the existence of agency of authority, courts should presume that such authority does not exist. Statutory silence is just that: Silence. It is not a delegation of power. (Admittedly, this is a position I have held for some time, and urged (unsuccessfully) in Arlington.)

As I see it, imposing this sort of limitation is the key step. Whether this is done by overturning Chevron, "Kisor-izing" Chevron, or merely adopting the Chief Justice's Arlington dissent is almost a stylistic choice. There is plenty in Chevron and subsequent cases to justify this outcome, even if it would overturn or repudiate some of the ways that Chevron has been applied.

Note that so long as the Court focuses on delegation as the source of agency authority, neither overturning nor modifying Chevron would limit the ability of Congress to entrust agencies with discrete policy questions in areas informed by agency expertise. As Chief Justice Roberts noted early in the Relentless argument, deferring to an agency on whether scientific or other evidence supports a particular conclusion is distinct from deferring to an agency's interpretation of statutory text. Indeed, even if the Court were to fully overturn Chevron in favor of a Skidmore-like regime, this need not foreclose reliance upon agency expertise, nor need it have any direct effect on how courts conduct arbitrary and capricious review and apply cases like State Farm.

This would suggest that some of the horror stories about a post-Chevron administrative state are quite overstated. The administrative state was able to operate before Chevron was decided (and before it was made the basis of a doctrine), and the administrative state will persist no matter how these cases are resolved.

The post Whether Chevron Stands or Falls, Any Deference Should Be Based Upon Delegation, Not Ambiguity appeared first on Reason.com.

https://reason.com/volokh/2024/02/03/whether-chevron-stands-or-falls-any-deference-should-be-based-upon-delegation-not-ambiguity/

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Issues American Creed, Constitutional Law, Cabinet Impeachment
« Reply #1883 on: February 09, 2024, 09:43:55 AM »
Paywall blocked, would like to read more of this.  Is he wrong?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/impeaching-mayorkas-was-a-mistake-this-precedent-will-be-used-against-gop-d0bf4956
Why I Voted Against the Alejandro Mayorkas Impeachment
Ousting a cabinet secretary for ‘maladministration’ would have opened Pandora’s box. The real problem is Biden.
By Mike Gallagher
Feb. 6, 2024 10:08 pm ET

President Biden has created a disaster at our southern border. In his first 100 days in office, Mr. Biden halted border-wall construction, ended President Trump’s successful Remain in Mexico policy, and implemented a catch-and-release regime. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas is faithfully implementing the president’s ruinous policies, which are contributing to immense human suffering, placing a massive financial burden on states and cities, and threatening our national security. His performance has been a disgrace.

But I disagree with my Republican colleagues who voted on Tuesday to impeach Mr. Mayorkas. Impeachment not only would fail to resolve Mr. Biden’s border crisis but would also set a dangerous new precedent that would be used against future Republican administrations.

The first article of impeachment lays out in grueling detail Mr. Mayorkas’s manifest incompetence. But incompetence doesn’t rise to the level of high crimes or misdemeanors. Proponents of impeachment concede the framers rejected the idea that policy disputes or “maladministration” constitute grounds for impeachment. They argue instead that Mr. Mayorkas’s underenforcement goes beyond maladministration, even though it doesn’t reach the level of a criminal offense.

Their primary evidence is a 2021 memo signed by Mr. Mayorkas ordering immigration officials to consider more than illegal aliens’ criminal history when determining which ones should be detained and removed. They cite district and circuit court decisions that the order contained in this memo was against the law, even though the Supreme Court reversed those rulings in U.S. v. Texas (2023). They cite Justice Samuel Alito’s dissent in that case to claim Mr. Mayorkas broke the law...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 09, 2024, 05:29:02 PM »
Why I Voted Against the Alejandro Mayorkas Impeachment
Ousting a cabinet secretary for ‘maladministration’ would have opened Pandora’s box. The real problem is Biden.
By Mike Gallagher
Feb. 6, 2024 10:08 pm ET

President Biden has created a disaster at our southern border. In his first 100 days in office, Mr. Biden halted border-wall construction, ended President Trump’s successful Remain in Mexico policy, and implemented a catch-and-release regime. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas is faithfully implementing the president’s ruinous policies, which are contributing to immense human suffering, placing a massive financial burden on states and cities, and threatening our national security. His performance has been a disgrace.

But I disagree with my Republican colleagues who voted on Tuesday to impeach Mr. Mayorkas. Impeachment not only would fail to resolve Mr. Biden’s border crisis but would also set a dangerous new precedent that would be used against future Republican administrations.

The first article of impeachment lays out in grueling detail Mr. Mayorkas’s manifest incompetence. But incompetence doesn’t rise to the level of high crimes or misdemeanors. Proponents of impeachment concede the framers rejected the idea that policy disputes or “maladministration” constitute grounds for impeachment. They argue instead that Mr. Mayorkas’s underenforcement goes beyond maladministration, even though it doesn’t reach the level of a criminal offense.

Their primary evidence is a 2021 memo signed by Mr. Mayorkas ordering immigration officials to consider more than illegal aliens’ criminal history when determining which ones should be detained and removed. They cite district and circuit court decisions that the order contained in this memo was against the law, even though the Supreme Court reversed those rulings in U.S. v. Texas (2023). They cite Justice Samuel Alito’s dissent in that case to claim Mr. Mayorkas broke the law.

But overturned and dissenting decisions have no legal force. Further, the majority in Texas affirms the longstanding precedent that the president and homeland security secretary have great discretion in enforcing border laws. And if we are to make underenforcement of the law, even egregious underenforcement, impeachable, almost every cabinet secretary would be subject to impeachment. The Treasury and State departments’ nonenforcement of sanctions against Iran has emboldened a regime that is killing Americans in the Middle East. The defense secretary is clearly violating the Hyde Amendment by allowing defense travel funds to be used to facilitate abortions. These decisions—however reprehensible—aren’t high crimes or misdemeanors but would be impeachable under the new standard.

Perhaps this is why we have never impeached a cabinet secretary except for criminal behavior. The person chiefly responsible for the chaos and devastation that has unfolded at the border is Mr. Biden, not Mr. Mayorkas. If Mr. Mayorkas were removed, his replacement would also implement Mr. Biden’s disastrous border policies. If anything, impeaching Mr. Mayorkas would absolve Mr. Biden of blame for his own policies.

Proponents argue that impeachment is the only option Congress has left to hold the Biden administration accountable after U.S. v. Texas established that states don’t have standing to sue the federal government for nonenforcement of immigration laws. That isn’t true. The courts have signaled that through the legislative process, Congress can authorize states to sue.

The articles of impeachment even tacitly admit there are other options available to Congress. The first article quotes Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s majority opinion, which says there are political checks on the executive. Justice Kavanaugh conspicuously doesn’t list impeachment. Instead, he outlines other tools Congress has—a list the impeachment articles elide when quoting the opinion. Justice Kavanaugh’s list includes oversight, appropriations, lawmaking, Senate confirmations and the biggest political check of all: elections. Congress should exhaust all these options to secure the border, including defunding ridiculous Biden administration priorities and regulations until he changes his border policies.

The second article of impeachment accuses Mr. Mayorkas of failing to comply with multiple subpoenas and obstructing certain oversight efforts, actions that are shameful but not outside the norm for cabinet secretaries. House Democrats impeached Mr. Trump for the same actions. Unlike Democrats’ rushed process against Mr. Trump, we should take Mr. Mayorkas to court to produce any information he is withholding and hold him in criminal contempt of Congress if he further stonewalls legitimate oversight. If he continues to obstruct, we should reconsider impeachment under a more tailored version of the second article.

In 2019 and 2021, then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi and congressional Democrats used impeachment as a weapon against Mr. Trump, though they couldn’t produce evidence he had committed a crime. It was a rushed, hyperpartisan process that lowered the bar for what constitutes an impeachable offense. Republicans rightly railed against this effort and the dangers of a single-party impeachment, impeachment for unpopular decisions, impeachment for non-criminal acts, and impeachment for not complying with congressional subpoenas.

Republicans should reject the Pelosi precedent. Creating a new, lower standard for impeachment, one without any clear limiting principle, wouldn’t secure the border or hold Mr. Biden accountable. It would only pry open the Pandora’s box of perpetual impeachment.

Mr. Gallagher, a Republican, represents Wisconsin’s Eighth Congressional District and is chairman of the House Select Committee on Strategic Competition between the U.S. and the Chinese Communist Party.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Speech can be Abridged by Means other than Overt Coercion
« Reply #1887 on: February 22, 2024, 02:03:56 PM »
Long (hundred page) exploration of primarily federal abridgments of free speech, the mechanisms by which courts have allowed it originally, and the resulting trains the feds have driven through those loopholes. The intro is shown below, but those that don’t want to read the whole thing would do well to check out the conclusion, too. It does not bode well for free speech, particularly speech conducted on private platforms regulators can threaten by less than overt means:

COURTING CENSORSHIP
Philip Hamburger

Has Supreme Court doctrine invited censorship? Not deliberately, of course. Still, it must be asked whether current doctrine has courted censorship—in the same way one might speak of it courting disaster.

The Court has repeatedly declared its devotion to the freedom of speech, so the suggestion that its doctrines have failed to block censorship may seem surprising. The Court's precedents, however, have left room for government suppression, even to the point of seeming to legitimize it.

This Article is especially critical of the state action doctrine best known from Blum v. Yaretsky. That doctrine mistakenly elevates coercion as the archetype or model of constitutionally accountable government conduct. Even in suits against government, the Blum test normally requires plaintiffs to prove that private action has been coercively converted into government action. In such ways, the Blum state action doctrine is not merely erroneous, but has signaled to government that it can get away with censorship as long as it keeps most of it privatized and not overtly coercive.

When it comes to the First Amendment, this Article expresses concern about the doctrinal tendency to confuse "abridging" and "prohibiting." The First Amendment carefully distinguishes the two: It simultaneously bars abridging, or reducing, the freedom of speech, and forbids prohibiting the free exercise of religion. This isn't to say that much coercion is required for a free exercise violation. But the First Amendment at least reveals that it bars whatever merely diminishes the freedom of speech, without any need to show coercion or other prohibiting. Unfortunately, this important distinction between abridging and prohibiting has been lost, with the result that First Amendment doctrine seems to make coercion necessary for a speech violation. Once again, doctrine mistakenly suggests that government can censor Americans—at least if it avoids the most blatant sorts of coercion.

The Supreme Court needs to repudiate the judicial doctrines that invite censorship. When the censorship-justifying doctrines are put aside, and the First Amendment itself is examined, it becomes clear that the Amendment leaves no room for privatized and less-than-coercive evasions of its freedom of speech. This is not, moreover, an unrealistic ideal. The First Amendment itself contains hints as to how censorship can be barred without standing in the way of lawful executive persuasion.

[A.] The Problem

The problem that provokes this inquiry is massive government censorship. Federal censorship through the dominant social media platforms (the "Platforms") has been occurring since at least 2018 and on a vast scale since 2020. It has included the review of billions of posts; it has suppressed millions. It already has affected one presidential election, two cycles of congressional elections, much science and medicine, and cutting-edge social questions. Moreover, it has taken until 2023 for a court to issue an injunction against such government censorship—and even then, against only some of it and against only some of the relevant government officers. Much of the censorship continues.

One might have thought that judicial doctrine would have nipped any such federal suppression in the bud. Yet apparently not. So it is necessary to ask, why not?

The inquiry is especially pressing because the current censorship dwarfs the censorship familiar from the 1798 and 1918 Sedition Acts. Rather than punish merely some authors, publishers, and activists, it has also suppressed vast numbers of ordinary Americans. This is censorship at a scale that lies far outside earlier American experience.

Of course, the censorship has been imposed primarily by the Platforms, not government. It therefore may seem misplaced to focus on the government's role. But just because the Platforms are so central in the censorship doesn't mean one can ignore the government's participation. It will be seen that the Platforms depend on government coordination to sustain much of even their private censorship, so government's role is crucial. Moreover, the Constitution limits government, not private parties. Therefore, both the censorship's realities and its interaction with the Constitution demand attention to the part played by government.

The Constitution should have stopped the current censorship scheme in its tracks. It will be seen that the Constitution is framed to prevent officials from even adopting suppressive policies, let alone carrying them out. This is essential because when government controls speech, it can subvert freedom at every level, including elections, rights, and even personal commitments to these constitutional foundations.

Judicial doctrine, however, has left room for censorship. Or perhaps more accurately, judicial doctrine has allowed government to imagine it has room for censorship.

Of course, the constitutional protections for speech have not been entirely erased. The remaining protections, although much worn down, have at least been sufficient (thus far) to support an injunction in Missouri v. Biden—now Murthy v. Missouri—against the most overt elements of the current censorship regime. So, even current doctrine has some value.

Existing doctrine, however, is not good enough. Under current judicial interpretations of the Constitution, it has taken half a decade just to get an initial injunction against the censorship. And the government evidently thought, and still thinks, that the suppression that it has orchestrated is not unconstitutional under prevailing doctrine. While purportedly protecting the freedom of speech, the Constitution has been interpreted in ways that open up pathways for evasion, very nearly authorizing what the First Amendment forbids.

[B.] This Article's Analysis

Part I examines federal power, arguing that judicial doctrine has eroded the Constitution's structural protections for speech. Commerce Clause doctrine seems to authorize federal regulation of speech—something the Clause once seemed to preclude. In the shadow of this legislative power over speech, the executive uses administrative and even sub-administrative processes to regulate speech, thus allowing it to circumvent both the front-end legislative protection and back-end judicial protection afforded by the Constitution. That is, government no longer must get the prior approval of the nation's elected representative legislature or the subsequent judgment of an independent judge and jury. Doctrine has thus dismantled the substantive and procedural protections that once provided structural safeguards for speech, leaving the federal government relatively free to impose censorship.

Part II shifts to rights, showing how Blum v. Yaretsky and allied cases have weakened the freedom of speech by subjecting it to an artificially narrow conception of state action—what this Article more accurately treats as government action. Blum elevates coercion as the prototypical way to violate rights and treats privately effectuated censorship as unconstitutional only if, paradoxically, the private action amounts to public action. The doctrine in Blum thereby leaves the impression that government can censor Americans through private entities as long as it is not too coercive. Indeed, the doctrine seems to suggest that, without traceable coercion, the censored lack standing to challenge their oppression.

In fact, as seen in Part III, the First Amendment more capaciously forbids any abridging, or reducing, of the freedom of speech—thus protecting that freedom without obviously opening up paths for evasion. If judicial doctrine and academic scholarship had lingered even briefly on the First Amendment's words, they would have recognized that although the Amendment bars "prohibiting" the free exercise of religion, it forbids "abridging" the freedom of speech. This distinction is crucial because government can work through private parties to abridge, or diminish, the freedom of speech without coercing anyone or otherwise prohibiting that freedom—in particular, without coercively transforming the private action into government action. The distinction thus shows that in speech suits against government, plaintiffs shouldn't have to jump through Blum's hoops.

First Amendment doctrine, however, confuses abridging and prohibiting. It thus aligns the Amendment with Blum's coercion-oriented vision of state action and, like that state action doctrine, invites government to assume it can get away with censorship as along as it is not too coercive.

Incidentally, it will also be seen in Part III that any law abridging the freedom of speech is rendered void ab initio by the First Amendment. Being barred from the outset, such a law is unconstitutional even if it has not yet caused any suppressive effect. Blum is therefore mistaken in requiring plaintiffs claiming unconstitutionality to show suppressive effects.

Although the Constitution's text may often seem to impede practicable approaches to contemporary problems, the First Amendment's text valuably suggests (as will be seen in Section III.D) how courts can apply the First Amendment's bar against government censorship without preventing lawful and useful government persuasion. The Amendment bars government from abridging the freedom of speech, thereby apparently leaving room for government to reduce speech—as long as it doesn't go so far as to diminish the freedom of speech. The Amendment, moreover, applies to law and, by extension, to executive policy (on the theory that policy must be authorized by law); it thus does not bar government action that doesn't amount to a law or policy. In such ways, the Amendment itself allows the government to engage in much persuasion about speech—for example, to ask a newspaper to consider dropping a particular story lest it damage national security. A seemingly intractable difficulty finds at least the beginnings of a sensible solution in the Amendment's text.

Part IV considers the Supreme Court's doctrine on government speech. Although the First Amendment guarantees the freedom of speech as a limit on government power, judicial doctrine seems to justify the executive in claiming a freedom of speech to suppress speech—indeed, without any First Amendment limitation.

Part V turns to qualified immunity. Instead of questioning the doctrine as a whole, this Article focuses on the categorical nature of its protection for officials who do not violate any "clearly established" right—that is, who act within a sphere of plausible ambiguity. The doctrine is categorical in the sense that within the range of ambiguity, it relieves all officials from paying damages for their unconstitutional actions—without considering the sort of power they were exercising or the opportunity they had to consult government lawyers. Such blanket or unqualified immunity, as long as there is some ambiguity, leads officials to believe they can get away with censorship.

Part VI notes the sobering dangers of the current censorship—for the human mind, for elections, for science, and for the collapsing distinction between government and society. Finally, Part VII contrasts two visions of constitutional law—one that is optimistic about human nature and another that is more pessimistic. The one is a constitution of hope, the other a constitution of fear. The U.S. Constitution combined optimism—in its broad grants of power—and pessimism in its limits on power, including its rights. Censorship is so serious a danger that it needs to be stopped in its tracks. Judicial doctrine therefore should have been more attentive to how the Constitution's limits on power are framed in response to fears about human nature, not hope.

Along the way, this Article more broadly questions some fundamentals of twentieth-century constitutional jurisprudence. The Article challenges the need for any generic state action doctrine that is independent of the particular rights at stake. It also contests the coercion model—the archetypical measure of forbidden government severity—that runs through Supreme Court doctrine on state action, constitutional rights, and even governmental structure. Under the influence of these misguided meta-doctrines on state action and coercion, judges and scholars have done much doctrinal damage. Most centrally, in embracing overarching generalities about state action and coercion, judicial doctrine has failed to recognize the First Amendment's distinction between "abridging" and "prohibiting." In such ways, doctrine has endangered freedom of speech and all that depends on it.

The courts, of course, never intended to abandon our constitutional protections; nor did they intend to subject us to censorship. Their doctrines, however, have courted this disaster. Painful as it is to contemplate, judicial doctrine has long been framed in ways that create opportunities for censorship.

Unfortunately, it is doubtful whether the Supreme Court will, or even can, recalibrate these doctrines in time to end the censorship. The Constitution's crucial protections for speech have been altered by twentieth-century doctrine in ways that permit evasion, and the government has taken full advantage of the invitation. It has institutionalized censorship mechanisms that are likely to survive any judicial injunction or other interference. It is therefore not clear how the judiciary can undo the enduring damage.

https://www.journaloffreespeechlaw.org/hamburger.pdf

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 24, 2024, 09:03:43 AM »
And herewith the Conclusion:
=====================

VII. A CONSTITUTION OF HOPE OR OF FEAR?
What sort of constitutional law is necessary to protect constitutional rights? A
constitutional jurisprudence that allows officials to get away with censorship for
years, and perhaps never face personal accountability, is not good enough. What is
needed is a jurisprudence that will stop officials from even beginning such a project.335
Consider two very different visions of constitutional law. One takes an optimistic view of human nature, anticipating that government needs broad power and will
exercise it responsibly. Another takes a more pessimistic view of human nature,
imposing hard limits on power to protect against its predictable abuse.
334 NetChoice, LLC v. Paxton, 49 F.4th 439 (5th Cir. 2022), cert. granted, No. 22-555, 2023 WL
6319650 (2023).
335 Vincent Blasi has written:
n adjudicating first amendment disputes and fashioning first amendment doctrines,
courts ought to adopt what might be termed the pathological perspective. That is, the overriding objective at all times should be to equip the first amendment to do maximum service in those historical periods when intolerance of unorthodox ideas is most prevalent
and when governments are most able and most likely to stifle dissent systematically. The
first amendment, in other words, should be targeted for the worst of times.
Vincent A. Blasi, The Pathological Perspective and the First Amendment, 85 COLUM. L. REV. 449,
449–50 (1985).
4:195] Courting Censorship 293
The Constitution balances these visions to get the best of both. It grants broad
legislative powers to Congress, but also imposes hard limits—giving only limited
powers, funneling legislative power through Congress and judicial power through
the courts, and confining all power with rights. In this way, it optimistically authorizes a powerful federal government while protecting Americans from the misuse of
that power.
Judicial doctrine, however, has eroded these limits. While doctrine still bars
censorship, it no longer does so with the clarity and efficacy needed to prevent officials from thinking they might get away with it.
Justice is slow, and the officials have sedulously kept much of their censorship
secret. They have thereby delayed a judicial reckoning for half a decade and two
election cycles, and they may still be hoping to delay until they can secure a change
in the Supreme Court’s personnel.
By allowing officials to get away with this, the current style of jurisprudence has
done profound damage. It has left room for efforts that may, perhaps for the foreseeable future, cripple free speech in this country. Already, the censorship and allied developments are subverting popular attachments to free speech and independent thought, inculcating in their place, it seems, a reliance on authority and a
disgust for dissent. The censorship is thus part of a revolution in personal and public ideals that may yet remake the nation, its intellectual foundations, and its freedoms—a transformation that may render constitutional claims an exercise in futility and the Supreme Court merely decorative.
The Court therefore needs to think very seriously about the Constitution as it
ought to be understood—a constitution that simultaneously establishes great
power and sufficiently constrains it. As things stand, judicial doctrine seems to invite evasions of the Constitution’s limits, including the First Amendment.
CONCLUSION
Whether on commerce, administrative and sub-administrative power, state action, abridging the freedom of speech, government speech, or qualified immunity,
the Supreme Court’s doctrines are, at best, a disappointment. Far from preventing
censorship, they have invited it, leaving room for government to evade the Constitution’s protections for speech. Americans are therefore now subject to massive
censorship, which threatens to subject a free people and their republic to a new regime based on the centralized manipulation of their thought.
294 Journal of Free Speech Law [2024
First, the Constitution’s structural protections for speech have been severely
undermined. Commerce doctrine has given the federal government a regulatory
control over speech that the Constitution was expressly understood not to have
granted. Although Congress’s enumerated powers once marginally included some
authority over speech and communication, now the commerce power apparently
includes unlimited regulatory authority over such things. This is especially sobering for speech-oriented entities, such as the Platforms, which are singularly vulnerable to speech regulation.
Adding to the danger is administrative and sub-administrative regulation in
the shadow of congressional regulation. Whereas regulation once had to run
through elected representatives in Congress and then through independent judges
and juries in the courts, it now can administratively evade these process protections—mostly completely when sub-administrative regulation escapes even prior
congressional authorization and subsequent judicial review. The combination of
congressional power over speech in Section 230336 and sub-administrative regulation in the shadow of that power has been one of the foundations of the federal
censorship.
Second, current state action doctrine, typified by Blum, asks for proof that the
government has converted private action into government action, archetypically by
coercion. State action doctrine thus lets government evade the freedom of speech
by acting through private cutouts and avoiding overt coercion. It is doubtful
whether there should be any government or “state” action doctrine apart from what
is required by different rights. Regardless, there is no justification for state action
doctrine to subject plaintiffs to a narrower hoop than is imposed by the substantive
right being enforced.
Third, the First Amendment distinguishes abridging the freedom of speech
from prohibitingthe free exercise of religion. The Amendment thus focuses on what
abridges, or reduces, the freedom of speech, not just that which coercively suppresses or otherwise prohibits speech. Judicial doctrine, however, ignores the difference between abridging and prohibiting, and emphasizes coercion. Once again,
doctrine invites the government to suppress speech through means that avoid overt
coercion.
336 47 U.S.C. § 230.
4:195] Courting Censorship 295
In barring the making of any law abridging the freedom of speech, the First
Amendment renders any such law or policy void ab initio. The government’s censorship policies are therefore immediately void, without any need to show that they
have had suppressive effects. Echoing Blum, however, many judges seem to think
that plaintiffs need to show suppressive effects. The government therefore assumes
it can get away with even a publicly announced suppressive policy—as long as it
can keep the suppressive mechanisms and effects relatively privatized and secret.
Under the current censorship, for example, the proof that the federal government
caused the privately enforced suppressive effects has been elusive and sometimes
even hidden, and it therefore has taken half a decade for suppressed speakers to
persuade a court, finally, to take the censorship seriously.
Incidentally, the First Amendment’s text offers valuable hints about the distinction between unconstitutional government censorship and lawful government
persuasion. Working from the word law and the phrase freedom of speech, courts
can simultaneously bar government evasion of the First Amendment and leave
room for government persuasion.
Fourth, the Supreme Court’s loosely framed government speech doctrine suggests to the executive that it has a freedom of speech—a freedom unconfined by the
people’s freedom of speech. This conclusion conflicts with almost everything that
is known about the Bill of Rights and the First Amendment.337 But judicial doctrine
on government speech is so open-ended that the government feels it has a speech
right that defeats our speech rights.
Fifth and finally, the unqualified character of qualified immunity has given officials courage that they will not have to pay damages for their misadventures in
censoring their fellow citizens—at least while they stay within the ambit of any ambiguity. Whatever the fate of qualified immunity, its categorial protection for officials—even when exercising sub-administrative power, even when seeking censorship, and even when there is time to get legal advice—has seemed to give officials
a safe harbor precisely when that does not make sense.
The second and third developments are especially sobering, as they reveal that
some supposed verities of twentieth-century constitutional jurisprudence have
done tremendous damage. State action doctrine has taken on a life of its own, independent of the particular rights in which the Constitution demarcates different
337 See supra Sections IV.C & D.
296 Journal of Free Speech Law [2024
degrees and even kinds of government action. Moreover, a simplistic coercion
model of constitutionally significant government action has infected doctrine on
state action, constitutional rights, and even governmental structure.338 Hence, our
current difficulties. Under the weight of the state action doctrine and the coercion
model, the First Amendment’s different rights get blurred together, without distinguishing abridging and prohibiting.
As it happens, much of the government’s censorship isn’t really justified by
Blum—as nearly admitted by the government when it repeatedly twists that precedent in Murthy v. Missouri. For example, in the government’s telling, Blum’s emphasis on “coercive power”339 becomes a “compulsion” test.340 Of course, coercion
(a type of wrongful threat or pressure) is not compulsion (the circumstances in
which one could not have done otherwise),341 and the Court has never self-consciously raised the bar so high. Nonetheless, on the basis of one casual use of the
word “compel” in Manhattan Community Access Corporation v. Halleck, the government quotes Blum to establish “this Court’s compulsion test for state action.”342
This is a warped version of Blum, not Blum itself.
Another governmental exaggeration of Blum is that a “particular act of enforcement” must be attributable to “particular conduct” by a “particular government
338 For an example of the doctrine on governmental structure, see Nat’l Fed’n of Indep. Bus. v.
Sebelius, 567 U.S. 519, 577 (2012) (requiring coercion and even compulsion for unconstitutional
federal commandeering of the states). But what is inaptly called “commandeering” is simply a deviation from the federal structure of American government under the Constitution, and departures
from the Constitution’s structures are unconstitutional on their own, without any requirement of
coercion. See HAMBURGER, PURCHASING SUBMISSION, supra note 13, at 136–37.
339 457 U.S. at 1004.
340 Brief for Petitioners, Murthy v. Missouri, supra note 2, at 14, 23, 25.
341 Mitchell N. Berman, Coercion, Compulsion, and the Medicaid Expansion: A Study in the
Doctrine of Unconstitutional Conditions, 91 TEX. L.REV. 1283, 1291–92 (2013). Although the notion
of compulsion is familiar from nineteenth-century ideas of duress in contracts, it is unclear why it
should have any role in constitutional law. See HAMBURGER, PURCHASING SUBMISSION, supra note
13, at 200.
342 Brief for Petitioners, Murthy v. Missouri, supra note 2, at 26 (quoting Blum, 457 U.S. at 1004,
which merely discusses “coercive power,” and citing Halleck, 139 S. Ct. at 1928, which reads Blum’s
coercive power in terms of when government “compels” a private entity). Note, moreover, that Halleck was just a case against a private defendant.
4:195] Courting Censorship 297
official.”343 Even Blum doesn’t set so persnickety a standard. But in requiring proof
of government responsibility for “specific conduct,”344 Blum leaves room for the
government to think it is justified in insisting on particularized causation.345
Such strained uses of caselaw confirm that existing doctrine does not justify as
much of the current censorship as the government claims. All the same, Blum and
the other precedents have opened up possibilities that the Justices never contemplated. They have encouraged the government to imagine it can get away with an
entire system of suppression.
If the judges are to redeem themselves—if they do not wish to be known for
courting the destruction of our freedom—they need to heed the lessons of their
failures. They need to reconsider their lax interpretation of federal powers, their
tolerance for sub-administrative power, their Blum misreading of state action in
terms of conversion and coercion, their confusion between abridging and prohibiting, their notions of government speech rights, and their unqualified grant of
qualified immunity.
Of course, it is improbable that the Court will, or even can, correct all these
doctrines at once. Even the bare minimum of doctrines—on state action, abridging,
and government speech—is probably beyond what the Court can promptly reconsider.
Even more sobering, the current censorship has had half a decade to become
deeply entrenched. In that time, government pressure, coordination, funding, and
personnel have created a censorship industrial complex—a whole regime of interlocking academic, nonprofit, and other private entities that by now act on their own
to coordinate the Platforms. So, notwithstanding the constitutional bar against government censorship, the government has already successfully launched this ship
into private waters. A judicial remedy may therefore already be too late. By using
secrecy and judicial doctrine to escape constitutional accountability for five years,
343 Brief for Petitioners, Murthy v. Missouri, supra note 2, at 18; see supra Section II.C.
344 Blum, 457 U.S. at 1004.
345 Of course, Blum is not the only precedent stretched by the government. For example, the
government deploys the chilled speech doctrine to complain that its speech is being chilled—while
saying nothing as to how its speech chills the speech of vast numbers of Americans. Seesupra Section
III.G.
298 Journal of Free Speech Law [2024
the government may have successfully subjected the Republic to censorship for the
indefinite future.
Nonetheless, the Justices need to rethink their doctrines—as soon as possible.
Their doctrines invited the censorship. So, not only the censorship but also the doctrines need to go

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 24, 2024, 09:04:44 AM »
Sorry bout the formatting!  But not sorry enough to make the effort to clean it up haha.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Prof Dersh SCOTUS on Trump immunity
« Reply #1892 on: March 01, 2024, 04:18:15 AM »
Dershowitz to Newsmax: 'Divided Decision' Likely on Trump Immunity

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/alan-dershowitz-supreme-court-donald-trump/2024/02/29/id/1155471/

"Meanwhile, the court's decision to hear the immunity case has come under fire by liberals, but Dershowitz said that is because the left has gotten too used to it ruling in their favor for years.

"If the Supreme Court doesn't rule the way they want it to rule they think it shouldn't rule at all," Dershowitz said. "Now that the Supreme Court is more conservative, these same scholars are saying, Well, the speaker should stay out of deciding cases. It's very hypocritical, and you shouldn't listen to academics, especially Harvard professors who clearly have an agenda here and who aren't interested in a neutral approach to Supreme Court adjudication."

He is talking about you Larry Tribe !

Kudos to Prof Dersh to call out the hypocracy of a partisan colleague in applying the law.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Another Kavanuagh Accuser Refered for Prosecution
« Reply #1895 on: March 07, 2024, 06:58:57 AM »
Kavanuagh accuser referred for prosecution for false allegations:

https://thebeltwayreport.com/2024/03/p6203/

"Progressives" should be indicted as co-conspirators for solciting these falsehoods.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ummm , , , I am missing something here?  Where does she admit lying?  All I'm seeing is Grasseley'e referall.   

Click bait?

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ummm , , , I am missing something here?  Where does she admit lying?  All I'm seeing is Grasseley'e referall.   

Click bait?

Did you scroll through the Grassley referral, its attachments, and the related footnotes? Looks like fodder for a criminal referral to me.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Agreed, but I'm still not seeing where she admitted lying.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Agreed, but I'm still not seeing where she admitted lying.
2nd page, 4th para states she confessed. I’d cut and paste, but Scibd wants me to sign to do so.