Author Topic: The American Creed: Our Founding Fathers:  (Read 787285 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Paine, 1776
« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
"Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me, or those that are in it, and to 'bind me in all cases whatsoever' to his absolute will, am I to suffer it?" --Thomas Paine, The American Crises, No. 1, 1776

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington to Hebrew Congregation 1790.
« Reply #951 on: August 15, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »
"The citizens of the United States of America have the right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were by the indulgence of one class of citizens that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support." --George Washington, letter to the Hebrew Congregation of Newport, Rhode Island, 1790

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson on property 1788
« Reply #952 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »
"He who is permitted by law to have no property of his own, can with difficulty conceive that property is founded in anything but force." --Thomas Jefferson, to Bancroft, 1788

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ben Franklin on the First Amendment
« Reply #953 on: August 18, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »

"If by the liberty of the press were understood merely the liberty of discussing the propriety of public measures and political opinions, let us have as much of it as you please: But if it means the liberty of affronting, calumniating and defaming one another, I, for my part, own myself willing to part with my share of it, whenever our legislators shall please so to alter the law and shall chearfully consent to exchange my liberty of abusing others for the privilege of not being abused myself." --Benjamin Franklin, An Account of the Supremest Court of Judicature in Pennsylvania, viz. The Court of the Press, 1789

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson, 1824
« Reply #954 on: August 19, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
"I should consider the speeches of Livy, Sallust, and Tacitus, as preeminent specimens of logic, taste and that sententious brevity which, using not a word to spare, leaves not a moment for inattention to the hearer. Amplification is the vice of modern oratory." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to David Harding, 1824

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Story on Justice: 1833
« Reply #955 on: August 22, 2011, 07:09:19 AM »
"Without justice being freely, fully, and impartially administered, neither our persons, nor our rights, nor our property, can be protected. And if these, or either of them, are regulated by no certain laws, and are subject to no certain principles, and are held by no certain tenure, and are redressed, when violated, by no certain remedies, society fails of all its value; and men may as well return to a state of savage and barbarous independence." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Book review: Ethan Allen of Vermont
« Reply #956 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »

By ROBERT K. LANDERS
By 1771, a conflict over frontier settlements in what is today Vermont had begun to turn violent. Colonial officials in New York, eager to profit from making land grants in the territory between Lake Champlain and the Connecticut River, refused to recognize grants already made there by the New Hampshire colony. The Hampshire settlers themselves, meanwhile, were determined to hold on to their property and not pay twice for it. Ethan Allen, a major property owner in the region known as the New Hampshire Grants, emerged as the leader of the opposition to New York's efforts.

In June 1771, getting word that a New York surveyor was running lines in the woods 20 miles away, Allen and some of his followers went to the scene. Dressed as Indians, with soot-blackened faces, they threatened to kill the "Yorker"—who fled with his crew. Later that year, Allen formally organized the "Green Mountain Boys" to defend the Hampshire settlements and scotch any New York-backed settlements. He and his "boys" torched fences and haystacks as warnings to New York settlers reluctant to leave; in October, the Green Mountain Boys burned down the cabin of a Yorker who refused to depart.

In "Ethan Allen," historian Willard Sterne Randall cites the behavior by the nascent folk hero and his men—who in extreme cases flogged defiant Yorkers—and links it with "the tactics of intimidation used by ten thousand Sons of Liberty in the period before the Revolution" to raise "an unsettling question: was America founded, at least in part, on terrorism?" Mr. Randall does not attempt an answer, however.

The author and his publisher call Ethan Allen a "founding father," presumably to appeal to all those readers with a seemingly insatiable appetite for books about those so designated, but if Allen was a founding father, it was of Vermont, not of the United States. Still, by my reading of Mr. Randall's exhaustively researched and insightful (but overly long) biography, Allen did make two significant contributions to the war for independence, each the result, directly or indirectly, of his recklessness.

View Full Image
.Ethan Allen
By Willard Sterne Randall
(Norton, 617 pages, $35)
.The first was what many considered a premature attack on Britain's Fort Ticonderoga in May 1775. Even after the battles at Lexington and Concord the preceding month, most delegates to the Second Continental Congress were not ready to cut America loose from Britain, continuing to express hope for reconciliation with the mother country. But after years of armed struggle against New York's royal governors and sheriffs over the New Hampshire Grants, 37-year-old Ethan Allen—tall, muscular and "a commanding figure in his forest green greatcoat and sheared beaver tricorn hat"—and his Green Mountain Boys were ready to fight for independence.

Thinking that if Fort Ticonderoga at Lake Champlain were wrested from the British, it could serve as a base for a rapid invasion and capture of Quebec, Allen was glad to accept the request of "patriots" in the Connecticut and Massachusetts colonies that he (and Benedict Arnold) lead a surprise attack on the huge but lightly defended facility. With only 83 frontiersmen, Allen took the fort without a shot being fired. Ticonderoga's real value proved to be its cannon and mortars, which in the coming winter Gen. George Washington's artillery commander, Henry Knox, would famously transport to Boston, overcoming the many formidable obstacles presented by terrain and weather.

Thanks to the bloodless fort seizure, Ethan Allen became the first American hero of the war, appearing in triumph before the Continental Congress in June 1775. Even the conservative delegates from New York, whose royal officials had branded him an outlaw and put a price on his head, joined the unanimous vote urging that the Green Mountain Boys be transformed into the Green Mountain Regiment, with Allen to be made a colonel in the Continental Army.

Allen's other important contribution to the Revolution was his best-selling wartime memoir of the harsh treatment he'd endured as a British prisoner for 32 months. In September 1775, while serving as a scout inside Canada, he joined in a rash plan to attack Montreal; counting on support that never materialized, Allen wound up a captive. If he expected to be treated as an officer and a gentleman, he was soon disappointed, for the British looked on him as a common criminal. "A Narrative of the Captivity of Colonel Ethan Allen," published in 1779, "riveted a populace still at war and instilled a patriotic feeling into a beleaguered people," Mr. Randall writes.

As a deist who had rejected Christianity, Allen felt no obligation to love his enemies. After his release in a prisoner exchange and return home to the new republic of Vermont in 1778, he led an official drive to ferret out loyalists (including his own brother Levi, even though Levi had tried to aid him when he was held captive), drive them away and confiscate their property. Allen went after Yorkers as well as loyalists. Mr. Randall notes: "To Allen, it was all the same."

A loose cannon if ever there was one, Allen during the war also engaged in secret talks with the British in Canada to obtain an agreement on prisoner exchanges with Vermont, arranging a ceasefire that averted British attacks on the shores of Lake Champlain. In those talks he explored the possibility of a separate peace for Vermont, using the threat of that to try to get Congress, despite New York's opposition, to admit Vermont into the Union. Allen strung the British along for nearly two years, and even after Yorktown, frustrated by Congress's latest refusal to admit Vermont to the Union, he wrote to British commander Frederick Haldimand: "I Shall do Every thing in my Power to render this State a British province." But by then, Mr. Randall relates, Haldimand had begun to grasp "that he had been duped." Vermont finally became a state in 1791, two years after Allen's death.

Mr. Landers, a former reporter at Congressional Quarterly's Editorial Research Reports, is the author of
"An Honest Writer: The Life and Times of James T. Farrell."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington, to PA, 1789
« Reply #957 on: August 23, 2011, 08:28:40 AM »
"It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn." --George Washington, letter to the Legislature of Pennsylvania, 1789

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Wilson, 1791
« Reply #958 on: August 24, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »

"In observations on this subject, we hear the legislature mentioned as the people's representatives. The distinction, intimated by concealed implication, through probably, not avowed upon reflection, is, that the executive and judicial powers are not connected with the people by a relation so strong or near or dear. But is high time that we should chastise our prejudices; and that we should look upon the different parts of government with a just and impartial eye." --James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1791

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington, 1788
« Reply #959 on: August 25, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

"No country upon earth ever had it more in its power to attain these blessings than United America. Wondrously strange, then, and much to be regretted indeed would it be, were we to neglect the means and to depart from the road which Providence has pointed us to so plainly; I cannot believe it will ever come to pass." --George Washington, letter to Benjamin Lincoln, 1788

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
John Adams to Abigail Adams, 1780
« Reply #960 on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain." --John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, 1780

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington to Lafayette 1785
« Reply #961 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
"Democratical States must always feel before they can see: it is this that makes their Governments slow, but the people will be right at last." --George Washington, letter to Marquis de Lafayette, 1785

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Madison to Monroe, 1786 on the limits of the principle of majority rule
« Reply #962 on: August 31, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »

"There is no maxim in my opinion which is more liable to be misapplied, and which therefore needs elucidation than the current one that the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong.... In fact it is only reestablishing under another name and a more specious form, force as the measure of right...." --James Madison, letter to James Monroe, 1786

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Webster 1789
« Reply #963 on: September 01, 2011, 05:24:30 AM »
"In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate -- look to his character..." --Noah Webster, Letters to a Young Gentleman Commencing His Education, 1789

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson, 1795
« Reply #964 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
"In our private pursuits it is a great advantage that every honest employment is deemed honorable. I am myself a nail-maker." --Thomas Jefferson, Jean Nicolas DÈmeunier, 1795

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson: The construction of laws, 1823
« Reply #965 on: September 06, 2011, 04:59:02 AM »

"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to be sought for in metaphysical subtleties which may make anything mean everything or nothing at pleasure." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Madison to the Dey of Algiers, 1816
« Reply #966 on: September 06, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
"It is a principle incorporated into the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute." --James Madison, letter to the Dey of Algiers, 1816

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington on moral character, 1790
« Reply #967 on: September 07, 2011, 08:04:30 AM »
"[A] good moral character is the first essential in a man, and that the habits contracted at your age are generally indelible, and your conduct here may stamp your character through life. It is therefore highly important that you should endeavor not only to be learned but virtuous." --George Washington, letter to Steptoe Washington, 1790

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington on conscience 1748; S. Adams on corrupt manners 1749
« Reply #968 on: September 09, 2011, 05:53:26 AM »
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience." --George Washington, The Rules of Civility, 1748

"[N]either the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt." --Samuel Adams, essay in The Public Advertiser, 1749
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:49:01 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson to his wife 1787
« Reply #969 on: September 12, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Martha Jefferson, 1787

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The American Creed: Our Founding Fathers:
« Reply #970 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:12 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 14, 2011, 06:14:19 AM »
James Madison

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 14, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »
James Madison

Me too.  Great minds, sir. 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
Madison here too.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington: Never despair 1777
« Reply #974 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »
I would not have guessed that the three of us have the same , , , avatar.  :lol:

===================

"We should never despair, our situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust, it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new exertions and proportion our efforts to the exigency of the times." --George Washington, letter to Philip Schuyler, 1777
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:54:40 AM by Crafty_Dog »

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Washington: Never despair 1777
« Reply #975 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I would not have guessed that the three of us have the same , , , avatar.  :lol:

===================

I am honered to be in such distinguished company.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Story: Commentaries on the Constitution 1833
« Reply #976 on: September 16, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »

"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors; and capacity, if wisely improved, and faithfully guarded, of transmitting to their latest posterity all the substantial blessings of life, the peaceful enjoyment of liberty, property, religion, and independence." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Several days of quotes
« Reply #977 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »

"History by apprising [citizens] of the past will enable them to judge of the future; it will avail them of the experience of other times and other nations; it will qualify them as judges of the actions and designs of men; it will enable them to know ambition under every disguise it may assume; and knowing it, to defeat its views." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 14, 1781

"We are either a United people, or we are not. If the former, let us, in all maters of general concern act as a nation, which have national objects to promote, and a national character to support. If we are not, let us no longer act a farce by pretending to it." --George Washington, letter to James Madison, 1785

"The steady character of our countrymen is a rock to which we may safely moor; and notwithstanding the efforts of the papers to disseminate early discontents, I expect that a just, dispassionate and steady conduct, will at length rally to a proper system the great body of our country. Unequivocal in principle, reasonable in manner, we shall be able I hope to do a great deal of good to the cause of freedom & harmony." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1801

"No pecuniary consideration is more urgent, than the regular redemption and discharge of the public debt: on none can delay be more injurious, or an economy of time more valuable." --George Washington, Message to the House of Representatives, 1793

"There is not a more important and fundamental principle in legislation, than that the ways and means ought always to face the public engagements; that our appropriations should ever go hand in hand with our promises. To say that the United States should be answerable for twenty-five millions of dollars without knowing whether the ways and means can be provided, and without knowing whether those who are to succeed us will think with us on the subject, would be rash and unjustifiable." --James Madison, Speech in Congress, 1790

"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Taylor, 1816

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hamilton, Federalist 35, 1788
« Reply #978 on: September 23, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
"There is no part of the administration of government that requires extensive information and a thorough knowledge of the principles of political economy, so much as the business of taxation. The man who understands those principles best will be least likely to resort to oppressive expedients, or sacrifice any particular class of citizens to the procurement of revenue." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 35, 1788

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Two from Jefferson on General Welfare clause, others
« Reply #979 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions." --James Madison, letter to Edmund Pendleton, 1792

"It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and as they would be the sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please. Certainly no such universal power was meant to be given them. [The Constitution] was intended to lace them up straightly within the enumerated powers and those without which, as means, these powers could not be carried into effect." --Thomas Jefferson, Opinion on a National Bank, 1791

"Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

"[E]ven our Commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand: neither seeking nor granting exclusive favours or preferences; consulting the natural course of things; diffusing and diversifying by gentle means the streams of Commerce, but forcing nothing; establishing with Powers so disposed; in order to give trade a stable course." --George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

"War is not the best engine for us to resort to; nature has given us one in our commerce, which if properly managed, will be a better instrument for obliging the interested nations of Europe to treat us with justice." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Pickney, 1797

"It is very imprudent to deprive America of any of her privileges. If her commerce and friendship are of any importance to you, they are to be had on no other terms than leaving her in the full enjoyment of her rights." --Benjamin Franklin, Political Observations

"If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send 150 lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, & talk by the hour? That 150 lawyers should do business together ought not to be expected." --Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?" --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, Query 12, 1782

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
On the Constitution
« Reply #980 on: October 12, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
"[T]he present Constitution is the standard to which we are to cling. Under its banners, bona fide must we combat our political foes -- rejecting all changes but through the channel itself provides for amendments." --Alexander Hamilton, letter to James Bayard, 1802

"A constitution founded on these principles introduces knowledge among the people, and inspires them with a conscious dignity becoming freemen; a general emulation takes place, which causes good humor, sociability, good manners, and good morals to be general. That elevation of sentiment inspired by such a government, makes the common people brave and enterprising. That ambition which is inspired by it makes them sober, industrious, and frugal." --John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776

"In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." --Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798

"If it be asked, What is the most sacred duty and the greatest source of our security in a Republic? The answer would be, An inviolable respect for the Constitution and Laws -- the first growing out of the last. ... A sacred respect for the constitutional law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free government." --Alexander Hamilton, Essay in the American Daily Advertiser, 1794

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington 1786
« Reply #981 on: October 14, 2011, 04:19:39 AM »

"No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did; and no day was every more clouded than the present! Wisdom, and good examples are necessary at this time to rescue the political machine from the impending storm." --George Washington, letter to James Madison, 1786

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Madison puts Jefferson straight
« Reply #982 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
"The first and governing maxim in the interpretation of a statute is to discover the meaning of those who made it." --James Wilson, Of the Study of Law in the United States, 1790

------------------
WSJ:

By THOMAS FLEMING
'We demand the forgiveness of all debts." After several days of listening to the Occupy Wall Street protesters, I had begun to lose all hope of grasping exactly what they wanted, beyond some sort of "change." I was almost relieved to hear this endorsement of a solution to a specific problem, especially pertinent to protesters in their age group who owe millions of dollars to the federal government for the money they borrowed to go to college.

Many of the protesters who demand relief from college loans, of course, want to divert attention from their personal benefit—so they've escalated it to an overall cancellation of every debt in the country, from home mortgages to the red ink on credit cards.

Did they know, on this point, they were echoing Thomas Jefferson? If so, these protesters and their sympathizers might want to think twice.

Enlarge Image

CloseAssociated Press

Do protesters know that they're echoing Thomas Jefferson?
.Debt forgiveness was not original with Jefferson, who enunciated it in a letter to his favorite correspondent, James Madison, on Sept. 6, 1789, when the French Revolution was picking up steam in Paris. Since 1784, Jefferson had been America's ambassador to France. There he had an on-the-ground view of the emergence of the historic upheaval, which he totally endorsed. The forgiveness of all debts was one of the early demands of the rebels, who declared, as Jefferson wrote in his letter, that "The earth belongs to the living."

This struck Jefferson, who was already in considerable debt back in America, as a brilliant idea. (He would die owing the equivalent of a million modern dollars.) He rushed to communicate the idea to his favorite political disciple.

Madison already had pushed through the Virginia legislature a bill by Jefferson to end the Anglican (Episcopal) Church's status as the state's established religion. Perhaps Tom thought another year of dexterous politicking by the canny Madison could turn Monticello's ledgers from red to black.

Jefferson's letter was enthusiastic, even giddy. Not only should debts be forfeited by every generation, he wrote Madison, but all the acts of government, from a constitution to the most trivial laws. By his calculations, a generation completed its career every 19 years. Thereafter, a new debtless generation would take charge, ruled by a new majority, ready and eager to create its own laws.

In a masterpiece of understatement, James Morton Smith, the editor of "The Republic of Letters," a three-volume collection of their correspondence, says Madison's reply to Jefferson's proposal was "a severe test of their friendship." Point by point, the younger man demolished Jefferson's silliness with polite but irrefutable logic.

Every generation should write its own constitution? Having just emerged from a bruising, exhausting two-year struggle to write and ratify the American charter, Madison thought repeating this task would create "pernicious factions" that would repeatedly deadlock, leaving the nation with no government at all during such "interregnums."

The earth belongs to the living? This, Madison remarked, referred to the earth "in its natural state only." It omitted the crucial importance of the improvements made by the dead, from which the living benefit. The same was true for debts, many of which were contracted by governments and individuals to "benefit posterity as well as the living generation." There was, Madison thought, "a foundation in the nature of things" for the descent of obligations from one generation to another. "Mutual good is promoted by it."

Madison closed by diplomatically suggesting that the United States, just beginning its career under the new Constitution, was not ready for such "philosophical legislation." It would take a long time for the "sublime truths" of philosophy to become visible "to the naked eye of the ordinary politician." Although I am sure Madison did not intend it, those closing words come close to sarcasm.

Jefferson never mentioned the idea again to Madison or anyone else.

Mr. Fleming, a former president of the Society of American Historians, is the author, most recently, of "The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers" (Smithsonian, 2009).

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:06:25 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson 1803
« Reply #983 on: October 17, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »
"Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution. Let us not make it a blank paper by construction." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Wilson Nicholas, 1803

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »
"The construction applied ... to those parts of the Constitution of the United States which delegate Congress a power ... ought not to be construed as themselves to give unlimited powers, nor a part to be so taken as to destroy the whole residue of that instrument." --Thomas Jefferson, Draft Kentucky Resolutions, 1798

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Adams on Lust for Power 1763
« Reply #985 on: October 19, 2011, 08:25:36 AM »
"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few." --John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, 1763

Hello Kitty

Re: Adams on Lust for Power 1763
« Reply #986 on: October 19, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few." --John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, 1763

Guro, To whom was John Adams referring and addressing? The American colonies as ruled by the British?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 19, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Well, the date shows this was written 13 years before the Declaration of Independence.  I take it as a early statement of the American Creed why we are a republic and not a democracy.

Hello Kitty

« Reply #988 on: October 19, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
Well, the date shows this was written 13 years before the Declaration of Independence.  I take it as a early statement of the American Creed why we are a republic and not a democracy.

That's an important distinction. Thank you.

I think that many people these days aren't aware of what that distinction is or that it exists.

Hello Kitty

« Reply #989 on: October 19, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
For everyone's benefit:

In a Democracy, The individual, and any group of individuals composing any minority, have no protection against the unlimited power of The majority. It is a case of majority over man.

A Republic, on the other hand, has a very different purpose and an entirely different form, or system, of government. Its purpose is to control The majority strictly, as well as all others among the people, primarily to protect The individual’s God given, unalienable rights and therefore for the protection of the rights of The minority, of all minorities, and the liberties of people in general.

The definition of a Republic is: a constitutionally limited government of the representative type, created by a written Constitution--adopted by the people and changeable (from its original meaning) by them only by its amendment, with its powers divided between three separate Branches: Executive, Legislative and Judicial.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
DF,
     Forgive me, but I've not heard the definition of republic that you offer below.  May I ask for the dictionary, or other source, where you found it?  Thank you.

For everyone's benefit:

In a Democracy, The individual, and any group of individuals composing any minority, have no protection against the unlimited power of The majority. It is a case of majority over man.

A Republic, on the other hand, has a very different purpose and an entirely different form, or system, of government. Its purpose is to control The majority strictly, as well as all others among the people, primarily to protect The individual’s God given, unalienable rights and therefore for the protection of the rights of The minority, of all minorities, and the liberties of people in general.

The definition of a Republic is: a constitutionally limited government of the representative type, created by a written Constitution--adopted by the people and changeable (from its original meaning) by them only by its amendment, with its powers divided between three separate Branches: Executive, Legislative and Judicial.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
More on the flaws of democracy-- Madison, Federalist 10, 1787
« Reply #991 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:49 AM »
"[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths." --James Madison, Federalist No. 10, 1787

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson, Public Education 1817
« Reply #992 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
"To all of which is added a selection from the elementary schools of subjects of the most promising genius, whose parents are too poor to give them further education, to be carried at the public expense through the college and university. The object is to bring into action that mass of talents which lies buried in poverty in every country, for want of the means of development, and thus give activity to a mass of mind, which, in proportion to our population, shall be double or treble of what it is in most countries." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Jose Correa de Serra, 1817

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Washington, First Annual Message 1790
« Reply #993 on: October 25, 2011, 06:50:36 AM »
"Knowledge is, in every country, the surest basis of public happiness." --George Washington, First Annual Message, 1790

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hamilton, Federalist 1, 1787
« Reply #994 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
"Of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people, commencing demagogues and ending tyrants." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 1, 1787

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hanging with BF Forever 1776
« Reply #995 on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." --Benjamin Franklin, at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, 1776

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson on the Dec. of Ind., 1825
« Reply #996 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
"This was the object of the Declaration of Independence. Not to find out new principles, or new arguments, never before thought of, not merely to say things which had never been said before; but to place before mankind the common sense of the subject, in terms so plain and firm as to command their assent, and to justify ourselves in the independent stand we are compelled to take. Neither aiming at originality of principle or sentiment, nor yet copied from any particular and previous writing, it was intended to be an expression of the American mind, and to give to that expression the proper tone and spirit called for by the occasion." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Henry Lee, 1825

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jefferson to Adams 1821:
« Reply #997 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »

"[T]he flames kindled on the 4 of July 1776, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism; on the contrary, they will consume these engines and all who work them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, 1821

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
T. Paine:
« Reply #998 on: November 01, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
"Everything that is right or reasonable pleads for separation. The blood of the slain, the weeping voice of nature cries; tis time to part." --Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The turbulent spectacle of democracy: Madison 1787, Federalist 10
« Reply #999 on: November 03, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
"[D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths." --James Madison, Federalist No. 10, 1787