Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 433688 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #900 on: March 28, 2016, 08:42:44 AM »
"Lying by people like HRC, Bill Clinton, Obama, now Trump creates a number of problems, such as lack of trust"

Obama is by far the worst because he does not have the interests of America at heart.  Our first Black President is screwing us all over royally.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 28, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
I spoke to a colleague friend recently who said "thank God" for Trump.  Early on I would have agreed.  

So I replied that he is losing in EVERY SINGLE poll by double digits to Hillary and he may cost us the Senate, the Supreme Court, and House seats and I have no idea what else as for governorships and state legislatures.

His response is exactly the same as objectivist:

"I don't believe the polls or the news media"

This group of people has been screwed over for so long that there is no stopping them 'in their own minds', literally.  That is the problem.  They are like Pickett's charge.  They will lose the whole damn war.

November will be a blood bath.

Even Alexander the Great couldn't get us out of this jam.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
The polls are right - except for the little preface, if the election were held today.  Hs supporters have the belief that when Trump turns his attention to Hillary, he will destroy her.  (Just as I know Rubio is the best communicator, won Florida by a million votes, etc.) Trump supporters may be right, but the polls today already take all that into consideration, her felonious existence and his own pluses and minuses.  There isn't much left to say about either one of them (that hasn't already been said).

"November will be a blood bath.  Even Alexander the Great couldn't get us out of this jam."

Isn't it strange that with 7 months to go, no one can think of a solution.
Our alternatives:
1) Go with Trump now, hope he runs and governs well.
2) Go with Trump after he hits 1237 delegates, hope he runs and governs well.
3) Go with second place Cruz on the second ballot.  Lose all Trump supporters.  Lose the election.
4) Take Rubio, Kasich, Ryan or somebody else on the second (or 50th) ballot, Lose all and Cruz and Trump supporters.  Lose the election.
5) Run a conservative 3rd party candidate against Hillary and Trump, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, anyone who wasn't on the primary ballots.  Trump Supporters stay with Trump.  Hillary wins.
6) Merge a ticket, Trump-Cruz, Trump-Rubio, Trump-Kasich.  But the only one who gains from that is Trump, offering the false promise that any veep will have 2 cents of influence over how he governs.

I lean toward 3) , 4) and 5) above, the not-Trump options.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Case for Trump
« Reply #904 on: March 28, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
second post

http://www.investors.com/politics/perspective/trump-may-be-first-since-reagan-to-unleash-americas-animal-spirits/
Trump May Be First Since Reagan To Unleash America’s Animal Spirits

By DONALD L. LUSKIN

It wasn’t so long ago that everyone knew Donald Trump couldn’t possibly be the Republican party’s nominee for president. Now that he may very well be the nominee, everyone knows he couldn’t possibly win in November. Indeed, everyone knows he’ll lose in a Goldwater-esque landslide, handing the White House and the Congress to the Democrats.

But what if that’s wrong, too? What if he wins? Well, in that case, everyone knows he would be a disaster as president.

I’m considering this from the standpoint of an investor. At first glance, it would seem that there are only bleak choices here for the U.S. economy.

If Trump loses and costs the GOP control of Congress, we face at least two years of Democratic one-party rule like 2009-2010. Get ready for higher taxes, more federal regulations, single-payer national health care, union card-check, a ban on fracking and a Supreme Court stacked left for a generation.
If Trump wins, get ready for protectionism and lots of it, and a raft of other loony ad hoc populist assaults on the economy.

Sell everything? Maybe. But then again, maybe what everyone knows is wrong. After all, Trump must have something going for him, given his “yuge” success in the primaries so far.

So maybe it’s time to have a little sympathy for the devil. You remember the iconic Rolling Stones song by that name. Its opening line is kind of like the Trump campaign — “Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m a man of wealth and taste.” Okay, on the taste part, not so much.

But Trump does introduce himself as a man of wealth, and that simple fact speaks volumes about what it would be like to have him as president.

In the last election, Mitt Romney spent his entire campaign apologizing for his wealth, groveling to the Left’s narrative that branded him an avatar of white privilege. Romney lost because, in the end, he offered only the defeatist vision embodied in President Obama’s “you didn’t build that.”

Trump couldn’t be more different. As a real estate developer, he did, literally, build that. And he’s proud of it, bragging “I have a Gucci store that’s worth more than Romney.”

It is often said that no candidate of either party is substantively engaging with the mission of re-igniting American economic growth. It’s true — for almost two decades, all candidates of both parties have ritually conceded that America is in permanent economic decline and hid or apologized for whatever success they may have had personally.

Trump is the first pro-growth candidate of the new millennium, and his policy platform begins with unapologetically offering himself as an aspirational example.

Yes, obviously, in an important sense Trump appeals to the worst in people. But that’s hardly unique among politicians, especially the current crop. What is unique is that Trump is also appealing to the best in people. Trump’s seemingly jingoistic slogan “Make America Great Again” is a political inflection point as significant as Deng Xiaoping’s exhortation “To Get Rich is Glorious” was for China’s capitalist rebirth.

The leftist economist John Maynard Keynes wasn’t right about much, but he was right when he laid out this enduring axiom of economics: “Our decisions to do something positive … can only be taken as the result of animal spirits — a spontaneous urge to action.”

For all the bluster and buffoonery, Trump’s campaign — his very persona — has the effect of letting it be OK for Americans to embrace their inner animal without fear that economic achievement will brand you as a greedy racist polluting imperialist.

The bluster and the buffoonery are an integral part of his pro-growth program. Trump’s relentless — sometimes tasteless — assault against political correctness is an antidote against the guilt-trip that the Left uses to terrorize and suppress the animal spirits of capitalism.

It’s not just atmospherics. Trump has put forth a tax plan as specific as that of any candidate. No less an authority than Reaganomics guru Arthur Laffer said: “It’s a great plan. And I think it’s better or pretty close to as good as Reagan’s.”

Trump’s plan calls for a top personal tax rate of 25%, a capital gains rate of 20% and a top corporate rate of 15%. I don’t know of many pro-growth supply-siders who wouldn’t crawl across broken glass to get that enacted into law.

To be sure, Trump’s plan has a protectionist edge to it. It calls for a one-time 10% wealth tax on corporate cash held overseas, whether or not it is repatriated. That’s bad news for American multinationals that keep cash overseas to fund operations there — but then again, having the top corporate rate drop from 35% to 15% would likely ease their pain.

Trump’s protectionist tendencies are the dark side of his economics. Happily, his opponents have been eager to point out his seeming hypocrisy here, noting that he hires foreign workers for his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. Such hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug. It’s encouraging that he admits shamelessly that employers must do such things, saying that “otherwise, you hurt your business.”

Indeed, as the current Beltway joke goes, his two marriages to immigrants show that he understands there are some jobs Americans don’t want to do.
If Trump faces Hillary Clinton in the general election, no doubt she’ll haul out the TV commercial that Lyndon Johnson used against Barry Goldwater in 1964, showing a little girl holding a daisy, consumed by a mushroom cloud. Trump is a madman, she will shout, at the same time as she rails against capitalism and Wall Street while denying her family’s own wealth.

Meanwhile, Trump will run as a madman for capitalism. He just might win. And by unleashing America’s animal spirits, he just might turn out to be the most effective pro-growth president since Reagan.

Luskin is chief investment officer of Trend Macrolytics LLC in Chicago, a strategic consultant to institutional investors.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
follow-up; NRO: Manafort's background
« Reply #907 on: March 29, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
From some people whom I respect:

Just a handful of months after getting a dream job working on a SuperPac, Trump suddenly demands that all PACs supporting Trump stop operations and that they had been operating without his approval. She lost a job that would have offered the opportunity in the future to open her own PAC and make millions."""""

Well....  I think it would be a terribly sexist thing to say that only because she's a pretty girl, she couldn't possibly be a back stabbing opportunist.  

Apparently, she  "quit" after Trump disowned a super pack where she was a communications director...  What could be a better moment to announce herself as his "top strategist" - and to denounce him.

I do think the lady learned something from Don Trump - how to get a fortune's worth of global media coverage without spending a single dime.

========================The AP reports:
In addition to the new space, Bennett said Trump has hired a veteran political operative to serve as the campaign’s convention manager. Paul Manafort, a seasoned Washington hand with decades of convention experience, will oversee the campaign’s “entire convention presence” including a potential contested convention, said Bennett.

The move marks a major escalation in Trump’s willingness to play by party rules and build alliances in a political system he has so far shunned. It comes as Trump faces a Republican nomination battle that will almost certainly extend until the final day of primary voting on June 7 -- or even to the party’s July national convention in Cleveland -- if he fails to secure the delegate majority needed to become the presumptive nominee.

Say, what’s Paul Manafort been doing these past few years?

From an anonymous office off Kiev’s main square, a seasoned American political strategist who was once a senior aide in Senator Bob Dole’s Republican presidential campaign has labored for months on a [Ukranian prime minister] Yanukovich makeover.

Though the strategist, Paul J. Manafort, has sought to remain behind the scenes, his handiwork has been evident in Mr. Yanukovich’s tightly organized campaign events, in his pointed speeches and in how he has presented himself to the world.

That piece was from 2007; the relationship stretched on for years.

Manafort’s friends describe his relationship with Yanukovych as a political love connection, born out of Yanukovych’s first downfall when he was driven from power by the 2004 Orange Revolution. Feeling that his domestic political advisers had failed him, Yanukovych turned to a foreign company, Davis Manafort, which was already doing work for the Ukrainian oligarch Rinat Akhmetov. The former Ukrainian PM and Manafort, the Georgetown-educated son of a Connecticut politician, hit it off.

Manafort’s firm had a set of international clients and produced an analysis of the Orange Revolution that Yanukovych found instructive, according to one operative involved in Yanukovych’s political rehabilitation. Manafort became, in effect, a general consultant to Yanukovych’s Party of Regions, shaping big-picture messaging, coaching Yanukovych to speak in punchy, American-style sound bites and managing teams of consultants and attorneys in both Ukraine and the United States ahead of an anticipated Yanukovych comeback. While it’s difficult to track payments in foreign elections, a former associate familiar with Manafort’s earnings say they ran into the seven figures over several years.

After Yanukovych’s 2010 victory, Manafort stayed on as an adviser to the Russia-friendly president and became involved in other business projects in Eastern Europe.

In case you’ve forgotten how things turned out for Yanukovich . . .

Ukraine’s former President Viktor Yanukovych has said he accepts some responsibility for the killings that led to his overthrow in February 2014.
“I don’t deny my responsibility,” he told BBC Newsnight, when asked about the shooting of demonstrators in Kiev’s Maidan Square.
He never ordered the security forces to open fire, he said, but admitted he had not done enough to prevent bloodshed . . .

In February 2014 Mr Yanukovych was whisked away by Russian special forces to a safe haven in Russia.

Within weeks Russian troops in unmarked camouflage took over Ukrainian bases in Crimea. Then in April pro-Russian rebels stormed government buildings in the heavily industrial Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, triggering civil war.

His opulent residence outside Kiev, thrown open to public gaze by protesters after he fled, did not belong to him personally, he said.
Receipts detailing millions of dollars spent on the complex were, he said, “political technology” and spin. The ostriches in the residence’s petting zoo, he maintained, “just happened to be there”.

“Yes, there was corruption, no one denies that. But a year and a half has passed, those in power have all the means at their disposal. Show us, where are the bank accounts of Yanukovych? They don’t exist and never have done.”

Interpol placed him on a wanted list in January this year, as Ukrainian officials accuse him of embezzling millions of dollars.

So the guy who’s been advising Vladimir Putin’s man in Ukraine is now running Trump’s delegate-securing operation? Will polonium be involved?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DT lied
« Reply #908 on: March 29, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
 I read Ms Field's other big claim to fame was also getting up into some ones face.  But that said Lewandowski clearly got too rough in the way he grabbed her and yanked her over.  I have a feeling this could have been avoided if he simply admitted to it and apologized.  Instead he lied about it.  Worse Trump also seemed to lie about it despite the video evidence:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/29/police-charge-corey-lewandowski-with-misdemeanor-battery/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Drumpf's threat to Ford works?
« Reply #909 on: March 29, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
Kinda like when Obama anally raped the bondholders to the benefit of the auto union , , ,

http://conservativetribune.com/trump-threatened-ford-huge/?sc=aat

DDF

Anti Trump Protestor Repellant
« Reply #910 on: March 29, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
Like pressing a mute button. Oddly, there isn't a single video supporting her claim that the old guy "groped" her.

I'm probably wrong for laughing, but I can't help it. Ps....I pepper spray myself all the time for fun....not feeling sympathetic.

[youtube]XuBMWgMn52I[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:22:14 PM by DDF »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 30, 2016, 06:50:56 AM »
If we put aside the denial of reality moments for a moment, I thought Trump did quite well for much of his time last night on the CNN Town Hall.  He actually sounded intelligent and thoughtful on foreign affairs.

So, this morning I run into this:  http://therightscoop.com/not-kidding-donald-trump-just-attacked-scott-walker-for-not-raising-taxes-in-wisconsin/

Ah yes, the Drumpf we know and , , , do not love.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 30, 2016, 07:34:32 AM »
Speaking of state taxes Jindal is getting creamed in the news for leaving a budget deficit 3 x bigger then when he came into office.  His 60%+ approval rating plummets to under 30%.

He was leading as a supply sider.  The real question is supply side economics a bust.  Or "voodoo economics".   Are our problems we cannot grow our way out of this?

George Will on the subject:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will032716.php3

I will also post this to the economic thread.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Geraghty: Not gonna hug it out.
« Reply #913 on: March 30, 2016, 07:49:16 AM »
I'm guessing the nose dive in oil and gas prices had quite a bit more to do with the situation in Louisiana than tax rates.
=======================

A Few Trump Fans Suddenly See the Man They’ve Been Defending

Something odd is going on among Trump’s most ardent defenders. Start with Ann Coulter in this podcast interview with Breitbart.com’s Milo Yiannopoulos.
COULTER: Moreover, I’m a little testy with our man right now.

YIANNOPOULOS: You are? Daddy’s annoyed you?

[Yes, Yiannopoulos calls Trump “Daddy.” Because that’s perfectly normal.]

COULTER: Our candidate is mental! Do you realize our candidate is mental? It’s like constantly having to bail out your 16-year-old son from prison. Let’s move past last night’s tweet -- you know perfectly well what tweet I’m talking about.

This is the worst thing he’s done. I mean the McCain thing -- I would say there are only really two, liberals would say, “Oh, every day,” no, everything else I could probably defend. I could. I think. Most of that is them overreacting . . . But the McCain thing, that was a dumb joke, it didn’t work. Oh, well. Didn’t kill him. But that tweet last night . . .

YIANNOPOULOS: And he’s retweeting these images that are, like, ‘I don’t need to make implications, you know, the pictures speak for themselves.’ And a picture of Cruz’s wife and a picture of Melania!

COULTER: That’s exactly the tweet I’m talking about! No, you can’t defend it! This is when we’re bailing out sixteen-year-old out of jail!

YIANNOPOULOS: It’s so outrageously funny!

Then Newt Gingrich and Sean Hannity:

GINGRICH: Tweeting about, or repeating a Tweet about Mrs. Cruz is just utterly stupid. It has frankly, weakened everything that Trump ought to be strengthening. It sent a signal to women that is negative, at a time when his numbers with women are already bad. It sent a signal of instability to people who may be beginning to say, “Maybe I’ve got to get used to it, maybe I’ve got to rely on him, maybe he could be presidential.” And frankly, it energized Cruz. The interview you just did is as good as I have ever seen Ted Cruz. He was clear, he was vigorous, he was prepared to be combative but at the same time he was getting into big issues and big ideas. My guess is he’s going to do well in Wisconsin. This ought to be a wake-up call for Trump that he had better rethink what seem to be the underlying patterns of his campaign.

HANNITY: For the life of me, I can’t understand when families and wives are brought into it. I’m sure he’s mad about the ad about Melania, I’m sure he assumed it was the Cruz campaign.

Gingrich added, “I’m not sure anybody in the Trump campaign understands yet what a big mistake this is. They can’t keep doing this stuff and think they’re going to get the nomination.”

Now look at Stephanie Cegielski, formerly the communications director of the Make America Great Again Super PAC:

He doesn’t want the White House. He just wants to be able to say that he could have run the White House. He’s achieved that already and then some. If there is any question, take it from someone who was recruited to help the candidate succeed, and initially very much wanted him to do so.
The hard truth is: Trump only cares about Trump.

And if you are one of the disaffected voters -- one of the silent majority like me -- who wanted a candidate who could be your voice, I want to speak directly to you as one of his biggest advocates and supporters.

He is not that voice. He is not your voice. He is only Trump’s voice.

Trump is about Trump. Not one of his many wives. Not one of his many “pieces of ass.” He is, at heart, a self-preservationist.

Just FYI, Trump supporters, no one should let you off of that bandwagon now. You should be handcuffed to that Titanic you volunteered to crew.
Donald Trump didn’t suddenly change in the past few days, weeks, or months. He’s the same guy he always was, the same guy that most of us in the conservative movement and GOP have been staunchly opposing for the past year. He didn’t abruptly become reckless, obnoxious, ill-informed, erratic, hot-tempered, pathologically dishonest, narcissistic, crude, and catastrophically unqualified for the presidency overnight. He’s always been that guy, and you denied it and ignored it and hand-waved it away and made excuses every step of the way because you were convinced that you were so much smarter than the rest of us. You were so certain that you were on some superior wavelength giving you special insight into the Donald; only you could tell that it was all an act. Only you could grasp that his constant courting of controversy was just to get attention from the media. Only you could instinctively sense that his style would play brilliantly in the general election and win over working-class Democrats. (SPOILER ALERT: It isn’t.) You insisted that you could “coach him.”

You came to those conclusions not because you’re smarter than the rest of us, but because you’re actually more foolish than the rest of us. You insisted Occam’s Razor couldn’t possibly be true -- that Trump acts the way he does because this is who he is, this is the way he is all the time, and he will always be like this. You fooled yourself into believing that Trump was playing this nine-level chess game that only you and a few others could perceive and understand. Only you could see the long game.

But there is no long game. He’s winging it. There is no grand strategy. There is no master plan. Trump doesn’t look ahead to the next sentence, much less the next step in getting elected.

“Our candidate is mental?” No Shinola, Sherlock, some conservatives said this from day one and all we got for it was the alt-Right vomiting forth endless vitriol and profanity and threats.

Oh, what’s that? Trump’s Twitter behavior is “utterly stupid,” Newt? Thanks for noticing; six days ago you were telling the media there was absolutely nothing about Trump that worries you. Maybe your previous comparison of Trump to Reagan was frankly, fundamentally, profoundly wrong from A to Z.
“Trump only cares about Trump”? Gee, thank you, turncoat former insider, for this shocking bit of secret intelligence. News flash, some of us didn’t need to work for Trump for several months to figure that out. We saw it, we said it, and you called us liars for saying it.

Technically we’re supposed to welcome previous Trump fans-turned-foes with open arms. But barring some miraculous comeback by Ted Cruz, the Trump campaign will have cost the Republican party the presidency after eight years of Obama, and perhaps the Senate and even the House -- not to mention Scalia’s replacement on the Supreme Court. Years of effort spent attempting to dispel the accusations of inherent Republican misogyny, xenophobia, hypocrisy, ignorance, and blind rage have been undone by Trump’s campaign. And every Trump advocate in front of a camera had a hand in this.

We’re not just gonna hug it out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:53:08 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump - I alone can solve this.
« Reply #914 on: March 30, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
"Conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty."  - Louisa May Alcott

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
drudgereport headline
« Reply #915 on: March 30, 2016, 01:32:59 PM »
AS Rhett Buttler would say, "frankly me dear, I don't give a damn".  This guy Lewandowski lied, Trump is lying, the guy bullied the girl, he owes her an apology and this whole thing would have ended with an apology from day one from a news reporter from the pro Trump Breitbart.   I don't want this bully to be my President:

http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/lewandowski-prosecutor-outed-as-hillary-supporter/

PS: his negatives with women rightly or wrongly will go up even more.  This guy cannot win since he demonstrates every week if not nearly every day that he not behave like a gentleman.  

OH and let me add that Trump and his team sound VERY *Clintoneasque* trying to spin this that she was not knocked to the ground, that she had no expression on her face that maybe he should press charges or sue her.  Small bullshit I would expect from Carville, Lani Daivs or forehead Begala.  

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:00:08 AM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 30, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
FWIW my take:

She got pulled back from harassing Trump as he was trying to walk away.  BFD.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: NRO: Abort Drumpf
« Reply #919 on: March 30, 2016, 07:51:29 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/433477/donald-trump-abortion-conservative-blackout

Another not-ready-for-prime-time moment for the candidate who hasn't bothered to think through the consequences of his views on ANY issue.
--------------------------------------------

I don;t know what to think of the 'battery' incident, but it is one more day in a Donald Trump world where we aren't talking about anything that any of us would put on "the way forward" agenda.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 30, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »
"I don;t know what to think of the 'battery' incident, but it is one more day in a Donald Trump world where we aren't talking about anything that any of us would put on "the way forward" agenda"

AMEN.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Some insight amidst the drivel
« Reply #922 on: April 01, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
A Syndrome, Not an Ideology

After globalization's economic squeeze on the middle class, after the racism and xenophobia the squeeze brings out, and after the shift from the Political Era to the Economic Era, there is another factor that explains Trump ascendency: A certain psychosexual dynamic that's more complex than your grandfather's sexism. After all, as he'll tell you again and again, Donald loves women.

But the remarks! The denigration of Megyn Kelly! And the macho toleration for roughing up demonstrators! Once again, the important thing to focus on is not so much the man with the baton at the head of the parade, but all those who are so attracted by his outrageous incorrectness. And what we find when we look not at the drum major but at his followers is the emasculation of the middle-class American male.

Several factors add up and reinforce one another: Anxious about the economy and unemployment, threatened by immigrants, frustrated at the lack of efficacy on the part of the leadership in Washington, and fed up with feminism, the blue-collar American male is a ripe target for testosterone-soaked rhetoric. "Make America Potent Again!" and pass the political Viagra.

Yet again, this is not just about Donald Trump, and it's not just about America. I was struck by a Feb. 6 headline in The New York Times: "Wanted in China: More Male Teachers, to Make Boys Men." The article went on to explain that, "Worried that a shortage of male teachers has produced a generation of timid, self-centered and effeminate boys, Chinese educators are working to reinforce traditional gender roles and values in the classroom."

But "traditional gender roles and values" are not likely to return any time soon in China or the United States because gender roles are a function of evolutionary and psychological dynamics that take millennia to unfold. As my colleague, Ian Morris, has explained in this space, both the rise of patriarchy and its decline are not matters of fashion or individual choice. The gender equality of hunter-gatherers gave way to patriarchy with the advent of agricultural societies for a series of social, biological and technological reasons that Morris reviews.

Now, after about 12,000 years, our species is moving back toward gender equality, again for a series of social and technological reasons that have little to do with choice or fashion. As Morris puts it:

"[T]he truly difficult part of this struggle was over long before anyone thought of promoting themselves as champions of a self-consciously feminist foreign policy. The real heroes of this story are the forces that are all too often miscast as villains: fossil fuels, which created an economy that allowed women to be independent, and globalization, which continues to spread the new economic order worldwide."

But if patriarchy really is in retreat, as I agree with Morris that it is, then Trump's parade is marching in the wrong direction. Trump has jumped in front of an angry gang of economically anxious, bigoted, misogynistic people who are united more by a syndrome than an ideology.

Linguist and political analyst George Lakoff has analyzed the syndrome. He has studied the language and the metaphors used in public discourse. He has written extensively about the correlations between conservative values and what he calls the Strict Father model of politics and child rearing, as opposed to the Nurturant Family model favored by progressives. The Strict Father model is hierarchical and authoritarian.

"The basic idea is that authority is justified by morality (the strict father version), and that, in a well-ordered world, there should be (and traditionally has been) a moral hierarchy in which those who have traditionally dominated should dominate. The hierarchy is: God above Man, Man above Nature, The Disciplined (Strong) above the Undisciplined (Weak), The Rich above the Poor, Employers above Employees, Adults above Children, Western culture above other cultures, Our Country above other countries. The hierarchy extends to: Men above Women, Whites above Nonwhites, Christians above Non-Christians, Straights above Gays."

So you see, it is a syndrome more than an ideology. But it is a syndrome that appears to be on the wrong side of history. Trump's parade is marching backwards.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Trump' illiteracy about the cost of US bases in Asia
« Reply #927 on: April 06, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »

April 6, 2016 7:24 p.m. ET
5 COMMENTS

New Japanese laws took effect last week that empower Japan’s military to defend U.S. forces that come under attack, even if Japan isn’t targeted. Count this as one of many important facts Donald Trump overlooks when he blasts U.S. allies and proposes withdrawing from the Western Pacific.

“We take care of Japan, we take care of South Korea” and “we get virtually nothing” in return, Mr. Trump said last month. He threatens to renegotiate or abrogate the longstanding treaties under which the U.S. today bases some 50,000 troops in Japan and 28,000 in South Korea.

But these aren’t one-sided or unaffordable deals. Tokyo and Seoul now pay nearly half of local U.S. military costs—some $2 billion a year for Japan and $900 million for South Korea. The U.S. troops based there cost the U.S. taxpayer less than they would if they came home. And that’s without counting their value in sustaining decades of peace and prosperity in a region previously marked by catastrophic wars.

As a builder, Mr. Trump may be interested to know that the four largest U.S. military construction projects in the Pacific are costing U.S. taxpayers only $7 billion because Japan and South Korea are paying more than $30 billion. According to an April 2015 tally from U.S. Pacific Command, Seoul is providing 93% of the nearly $11 billion needed to expand Camp Humphreys, which is set to host almost all U.S. forces in Korea by 2017.

Tokyo is paying 94% of the nearly $5 billion needed at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, in southern Japan, and 100% of the roughly $12 billion to replace the Futenma facility on the southwestern island of Okinawa, near the Senkaku Islands and Taiwan in the East China Sea. In an unprecedented move, Tokyo is even paying 36% of the $3 billion needed for new U.S. facilities on the central Pacific island of Guam, which is U.S. territory.

South Korea spends about 2.5% of GDP on defense, which is lower than America’s 3.5% but still in the world top 10. Its military, backed by universal male conscription, is the world’s front line against the nuclear arsenal, long-range missiles and global-proliferation racket of North Korea. Japan, which during the Cold War was the West’s chief defense against Soviet submarines in the Pacific, today is the leading local bulwark against Chinese domination of East Asia.

Spending 1% of GDP on defense is too little, but Japan has increased spending for four years running. Reformist Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has built ties with the U.S., Southeast Asia, Australia and India without which China would waltz to regional hegemony.

At significant political cost, the Abe government reinterpreted Japan’s U.S.-imposed constitution to allow “collective self-defense,” paving the way for the new laws that took effect last week. Tokyo can now defend the U.S. against North Korean missiles. Whenever U.S. ships patrol the South China Sea, Chinese planners now must also account for Japan’s fleet, which is larger than Britain’s.

Mr. Abe and Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong have gone public in the past week praising the U.S. role in Asia and warning about the damage from a short-sighted withdrawal. Americans should understand that these countries are not free riders and forward deployments in Asia are crucial to U.S. security.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »
I just noticed that Trump's Jewish son in law is the son of the disgraced Democrat realtor who was extorting bribing, tax evading dirt ball who grew up in Elizabeth and went to school around the corner from me.  He is a few years older.

Remind me of Hillary's son in law is also a son of a crook.  Both Jewish.  They make me ashamed.  As Levin would say, "alright I said it!"

But they are both obnoxious Democrats so it is ok I guess.  I mean they ARE for the party of the "poor".   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kushner

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Krauthammer: Donald Trump and the coming GOP train wreck
« Reply #929 on: April 08, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
Krauthammer (paraphrasing) impressed not by Trump's loss in Wisconsin but by how 35% stuck with him even as he imploded and everything turned against him.  http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/charles-krauthammer-trump-cruz-gop-train-wreck-article-1.2592506

If Trump wins the nomination, we lose.  If Trump loses the nomination, we lose.  Can anybody visualize a scenario where Cruz (or someone else) clinches later in the balloting after Trump falls and then Trump gets 100% behind that Republican nominee?

Actually I can.  He has made quicker turns than that in the very recent past.  Nothing about this guy, except his view of himself, is predictable.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 09, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
Now it is pointed out that Reagan had 70% unfavorable ratings in early 1980. However I recall that he did very well in the debates with Carter and he never had what to many is a detestable personality or temper tantrums.

I think we have learned that Trump is not capable of rising above his impulsive behavior even if he is smart etc.   To be able to change one's behavior one has to have insight or ability for self introspection and at least somewhat objective analysis.  He has not demonstrated this ability.

Therefore I doubt he is going to morph into a "Presidential" demeanor.

All this said, as we all know he is NO Ronald Reagan and using Reagan's experience  as a yardstick to measure against Trump is going to be fraught with disappointment.

In short I come back to the conclusion we are screwed.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 10, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Now it is pointed out that Reagan had 70% unfavorable ratings in early 1980.

There is no Reagan analogy with Trump or any of these people.

I wonder if the point above is true.  I'm sure he was seen as too conservative and he trailed Carter, but that level of unfavorability doesn't sound right to me.

His approval rating was likely upside down during much of the first two years of his administration.  1982 was a terrible economic year before the tax rate cuts that were passed went fully into effect on 1/1/83.  Then the economy started roaring.

Maybe Trump should be pushing his tax cut instead of hypothetically punishing women.

Quarterly GDP growth during Reagan's first term before his reelection.  Read this sequentially from the bottom or see the graph on page 2 here: http://www.laffercenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Laffer_RevisitingReaganCuts_F.pdf

Sep 30, 1984   6.96%
Jun 30, 1984   7.99%
Mar 31, 1984   8.55%
Dec 31, 1983   7.83%
Sep 30, 1983   5.75%
Jun 30, 1983   3.35%
Mar 31, 1983   1.59%
Dec 31, 1982   -1.40%
Sep 30, 1982   -2.64%
Jun 30, 1982   -1.17%
Mar 31, 1982   -2.42%
Dec 31, 1981   1.29%
Sep 30, 1981   4.39%
Jun 30, 1981   3.05%
Mar 31, 1981   1.70%
http://www.multpl.com/us-real-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-quarter

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
speaks for itself
« Reply #932 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:40 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrqLQK7ecNE

There is so much wrong there it's hard to know where to start.

I don't think you get a certificate for being a Republican, but burning it was impressive! (sarc.)
No mention of what he is for or against, all he supports is "Trump".
With that kind of contempt for "GOPe", I assume he sat out for Romney too, gave us Obama.
Trump is running for GOP establishment.  Rip GOPe for where they went wrong, not for existing.
If other than Trump (Cruz) is unacceptable, which of the "GOP" principles does he fall short on?
This process has been more open and fair that any, anywhere, you wimpy little helpless, crying victim.
Did he go to his caucus, run for delegate, build the party, etc, or leave the work to others to do that?
Where was he when they made the Colorado rules?  Fighting for a primary?  I doubt it.
They want the benefits of a strong national party, not the burdens of building or running one.
Trump is person, not a plan or a party.
The not-Trump vote has beaten the Trump vote in every state so far.
Trump built his own disapproval.  Assuming this supporter is paying attention, he watched that happen.
Saying f*ck you to every Rubio, Cruz, Bush, Fiorina supporter doesn't make them come back to you.
Your candidate never learned foreign policy.  FYI, it's part of the job.
Your candidate never learned the constitution.  FYI, it's part of the job.
The endorsement requires 1237, 50% + 1.  What part of that is complicated?
Trump loses in the general election.  Threatening to take down the party if it's not Trump is the same result.
Therefore your threat is empty.
Who didn't know from the start Trump would cry foul if and when he lost?
Trump hasn't lost yet.  Should the rest of us cry foul if he wins.  Doesn't matter.  He loses anyway.
For the same reason people oppose him now.
But he's only 69.  He can change!
Trump favored big government, Democrat policies in 2012.  Maybe he still can change. 
If we all get mad and go home when our candidate isn't the nominee, it isn't a political party anyway.
Break what pledge?  Let's all have regrets about not picking the guy who doesn't keep his word!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:41:33 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
"But he's only 69.  He can change!"

Right  :roll:

An alcoholic cannot stop drinking if he cannot even realize he is an alcoholic.
Same thing with this guy.

It isn't his big mouth that gets him into trouble - it is always someone else's fault (in his own mind.)

This trait may have helped him in business but it ain't helping him here.  And he cannot see it.  He is incapable. 

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 14, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
The only improvement Trump would bring, is unlike the current president, he does not hate this country.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 17, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
Which is a rather important thing.

Moratorium on Muslim immigration is a rather important thing.

Suspicion towards TPP is a rather important thing.

Controlling our border is a rather important thing.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Drumpf threatens lawsuit of artist who painted him nude w a small penis
« Reply #940 on: April 19, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/04/18/donald-trump-threatens-sue-artist-painting-small-penis/?utm_content=buffer32f34&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

He is a public figure but also isn't truth a valid defense against a slander, libel or defamation allegation?

He has all the symptoms of compensating for something...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 19, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
That would be a helluva deposition , , ,

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Well,  Lets hope the people Trump recently hired can get him in the right direction so he can attract more then 35% of Republicans.
Otherwise it will be a Clinton again and more regulation, more government "policy" more intrusion into our lives, more taxation and redistribution, endless themes about women, and more loss of freedom.  Also are there any "public" law firms?  their stocks will sky rocked in a Clinton world.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
Well,  Lets hope the people Trump recently hired can get him in the right direction so he can attract more then 35% of Republicans.
Otherwise it will be a Clinton again and more regulation, more government "policy" more intrusion into our lives, more taxation and redistribution, endless themes about women, and more loss of freedom.  Also are there any "public" law firms?  their stocks will sky rocked in a Clinton world.

I not hoping anything for Trump.  This is a hold your nose election if he is the nominee and I won't need to vote for him. He won't come within 25 points of Hillary in MN (where Rubio was leading her in the last poll).  

Also it is lazy and dishonest of Trump and others to label conservative activists who may be delegates as 'establishment'.

Neither Trump nor Cruz opens up the map beyond where Romney 'won'.  There was a time to get serious about this and America didn't. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:58:31 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 20, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
"I not hoping anything for Trump."

Doug are you saying you will sit out this election if Trump is nominee?

"Also it is lazy and dishonest of Trump and others to label conservative activists who may be delegates as 'establishment'."

Has he been doing that?
If so you are 100% correct.  The "establishment" are not conservative enough.   They are appeasers.  IMO.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Donald and Jack Russell have a common link
« Reply #946 on: April 20, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »
I don't know where to put this under "Trump" or "wolves, dogs etc."  These terriers and the Donald are alike in temperaments too.
The Reverend Jack Russell owned a fox terrier named "Trump":

From Wikipedia on Jack Russell Terriers:

*******"A black and white drawing of a white dog with black markings on the face. The image is in profile with the dog facing left."
A drawing of Trump, the dog purchased by the Reverend John Russell.
The small white-fox working terriers we know today were first bred by the Reverend Jack Russell, a parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795,[1] and they can trace their origin to the now extinct English White terrier.[2] Difficulty in differentiating the dog from the creature it was pursuing brought about the need for a mostly white dog,[3] and so in 1819 during his last year of university at Exeter College, Oxford,[4] he purchased a small white and tan terrier female named Trump from a local milkman in the nearby small hamlet of Elsfield[5] or Marston[6]). Trump epitomised his ideal Fox terrier,[7] which, at the time, was a term used for any terrier which was used to bolt foxes out of their burrows.[2] Her colouring was described as "...white, with just a patch of dark tan over each eye and ear; whilst a similar dot, not larger than a penny piece, marks the root of the tail."[8] Davies, a friend of Russell's, wrote "Trump was such an animal as Russell had only seen in his dreams".[4] She was the basis for a breeding program to develop a terrier with high stamina for the hunt as well as the courage and formation to chase out foxes that had gone to ground.[9] By the 1850s, these dogs were recognised as a distinct breed.[10]
An important attribute in this dog was a tempered aggressiveness that would provide the necessary drive to pursue and bolt the fox, without resulting in physical harm to the quarry and effectively ending the chase, which was considered unsporting.[11] Russell was said to have prided himself that his terriers never tasted blood.[10] This line of terriers developed by John Russell was well respected for those qualities, and his dogs were often taken on by hunt enthusiasts. It is unlikely, however, that any dogs alive today can be proven to be descendants from Trump, as Russell was forced to sell all his dogs on more than one occasion because of financial difficulty, and had only four aged (and non-breeding) terriers left when he died in 1883.[12]
The Fox terrier and Jack Russell terrier type dogs of today are all descended from dogs of that period, although documented pedigrees earlier than 1862 have not been found, although several records remain of documented breeding by John Russell between the 1860s and 1880s. The Fox Terrier Club was formed in 1875 with Russell as one of the founder members; its breed standard was aspiration, and not a description of how the breed appeared then. By the start of the 20th century, the Fox terrier had altered more towards the modern breed, but in some parts of the country the old style of John Russell's terriers remained, and it is from those dogs that the modern Jack Russell type has descended.[4]*****
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:15:51 PM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 20, 2016, 08:09:49 PM »

"Also it is lazy and dishonest of Trump and others to label conservative activists who may be delegates as 'establishment'."

Has he been doing that?
If so you are 100% correct.  The "establishment" are not conservative enough.   They are appeasers.  IMO.

If Trump becomes the nominee he will be our only hope.  Because he won't be competitive in MN I may do something else with my vote but I will still be pulling for him over Hillary.

The Trumpists think National Review is establishment, WSJ opinion page too, Hot Air. Powerline, Thomas Sowell and so on.  Like I said, it's lazy and dishonest to say that.  Reince Priebus delivered Wisconsin for the tea party - so he's establishment.  WSJ opinion page is run by free market advocate Paul Gigot, from Green Bay Wisconsin, with no interference from ownership or the news department, so he is "Washington establishment".  Paul Ryan from Janesville WIsc is Washington establishment.  Good grief.  Trump is running for Washington establishment.  Who is the boogeyman if / when he wins?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 20, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
I think I would rather have all the looming catastrophic incidents looming happen under her watch.

Has he been doing that?

If Trump becomes the nominee he will be our only hope.  Because he won't be competitive in MN I may do something else with my vote but I will still be pulling for him over Hillary.

The Trumpists think National Review is establishment, WSJ opinion page too, Hot Air. Powerline, Thomas Sowell and so on.  Like I said, it's lazy and dishonest to say that.  Reince Priebus delivered Wisconsin for the tea party - so he's establishment.  WSJ opinion page is run by free market advocate Paul Gigot, from Green Bay Wisconsin, with no interference from ownership or the news department, so he is "Washington establishment".  Paul Ryan from Janesville WIsc is Washington establishment.  Good grief.  Trump is running for Washington establishment.  Who is the boogeyman if / when he wins?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump and the Rep Neyoricans
« Reply #949 on: April 22, 2016, 06:28:26 PM »
Trump will be all over the airwaves with this one.   "I won 60 % of the hispanic vote in NYC!!!"  What he won't tell you is the actual numbers means he won the 6 out of 10 Hispanic Republicans in NYC.  The other millions all voted Democratic.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/21/donald-trump-won-hispanic-vote-new-york-city/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:19:27 PM by Crafty_Dog »