Author Topic: Carly Fiorina  (Read 21036 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Carly Fiorina
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
In the 2016 Presidential thread CF has already been discussed a bit, but with her official candidacy and my having seen her this morning on FOX, I have decided to give her her own thread.

IMHO she will improve the Reps chances by being an effective pit bull against Hillary in a way that the men fear to.

She was asked about her qualifications for foreign affairs this morning and I was surprised at how effective her answer was.  She spoke well of the various national leaders with whom she has interacted (Putin, Netanyahu, many more) and when asked what she would do differently without hesitation she rattled off a list that looks surprisingly close to mine-- another famous lurker on our forum perhaps?  :lol:

1) Arm the Kurds directly;
2) Give King Abullah of Jordan the military supplies that he asks for;
3) Share military intel with Egypt; support Al-Sisi in his brave stance against "the cancerin Islam", support him when he attacks ISIS in Libya, etc.

CF may surprise in how well she performs and in how far she goes.   I would be VERY surprised though if she went all the way.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Carly Fiorina
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
I agree with Crafty on all of those points about Carly. 

Just by running as well as she is, she neutralizes the gender question.  If you believe it is time for a woman President, here is the best one running. 

Judging her by her words and presentation in speeches and interviews so far, she is one of the best of the Republicans in my view.  Her level of preparedness on all issues is quite impressive.  She handles her resume questions well and she would have elected, political experience if her home state wasn't so insanely left.

She plans to run an unconventional campaign, not relying on big money or early polling numbers, which means staying power through some of the ups and downs.

Pundits say she is running for VP.  That may be an insult, but the criteria for VP selection is the same, who presents themselves as Presidential and is ready to step up in a moment's notice.  Being vetted now is great experience for that role if it turns out that way.  Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle and others did not have that experience.

The early debates will be hard for non-political types to watch with so many candidates running.  Worse yet would be if they all look alike.  Even the so-called Hispanics will look like middle aged white men on stage in suits, which is not one of our key, reach-out demographic groups.  Add Carly and Dr. Carson to that and the candidates hopefully can be judged by their answers, positions and vision rather than all lumped visually in a group.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
Good analysis.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
"She rose from secretary of a real-estate firm to the top of Hewlett-Packard, no small accomplishment."  - from Presidential 2016

She also headed up Lucent Technologies before that, once the number one research and development company in the world.  Was picked as no. 1 on Fortune Magazine's 50 Most Powerful Women - FIRST ANNUAL LOOK AT THE WOMEN WHO MOST INFLUENCE CORPORATE AMERICA, Oct. 1998
http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1998/10/12/249277/index.htm

As mentioned earlier, there are also serious criticisms of her business leadership.  But of all these candidates, she is the only one who has real private sector experience.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »
And that experience includes a goodly amount of interface with business between the US and China.

PS:  I had forgotten about Lucent.
==============================
Megan Kelly interviews Carly.
https://www.facebook.com/TheKellyFile/videos/vb.1413426908872170/1654461738102018/?type=2&theater
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:49:04 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Carly Fiorina, The Hillary Slayer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/06/carly-fiorina-hillary-slayer.php
New Carly Fiorina ad dismantles Hillary Clinton's accomplishments

WATCH IT!

Nothing new, but very well packaged.  This is how you do this.  It doesn't take any money to pass around a video link. Help her out; pass it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3qtfUkOKs

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
You steal my thunder, I came here to post this!

PS: She was quite impressive today on Brett Baier's Special Report.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
She fights. Unlike 97% of repubs.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
I can picture her being a really good VP candidate who would give Hillary hissy fits.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:32:28 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Carly Fiorina is now top tier
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 06:23:29 AM »
She will be part of the top ten and perhaps the top tier of the top candidates.

See the new NBC poll, moving up from 2% to a tie for 4th place.
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/new-nbc-news-survey-monkey-poll-donald-trump-still-lead-n406766
See the video in Crafty's previous post.  And see this on economic policy:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/09/caly_fiorina_income_inequality_i_worse_under_progressive_policies.html
video at link

CHRIS WALLACE: What would President Fiorina do to jump-start this economy and be specific?

CARLY FIORINA: First, we have to remember what the engine of economic growth is in this nation. You know what it is? Small businesses. Family-owned businesses. Community-based businesses. I started out as a nine-person real estate firm typing and filing. That's how most people start. Two-thirds of misses are supported by small businesses. We're crushing them. That's why we have to roll back this regulatory burden. Take a 70,000 page tax code and make it three pages. Because guess what. When have a big costly complicated government. Only the big, the powerful, wealthy and well connected can deal with it. It's called crony capitalism. It is why we just reduce the size of government. So, we have to get small businesses up and growing again. To do so, we just reduce the power, the scope, the complexity of government.

CHRIS WALLACE: What would you do about taxes? Are you going to cut corporate taxes? Are you going to cut taxes on the higher income people? And if you do, or if you're going to campaign on that, you know that Hillary Clinton will say trickle down economics?

CARLY FIORINA: Yeah, we have about a 75,000 page tax code today. And that complexity favors the wealthy and the big and the well had connected because they have hire the accountants and lawyers to figure out how to make that complexity work for them. We got to get it down three. The lower over rate, close every loophole. Maybe there's one or two loopholes that really help the middle class, but most of these deductions and loopholes and complexities actually benefit the wealthy, the powerful, the well connected. But yes, our tax code isn't competitive anymore. It's ridiculous that we have the highest tax rate in the world when we're trying to attract jobs here. So lower every rate, close every loophole.

CHRIS WALLACE: So when Hillary Clinton says, "Yeah, and the rich are going to make out like bandits."

CARLY FIORINA: What I would point out to Hillary Clinton is that every single one of the policies that she is currently pursuing makes income inequality worse. Exhibit A: income inequality under the Obama administration. Exhibit B: every liberal state in this nation. I spent twelve years in the state of California, a state that's been ruled by liberals for a long time. And guess what you have: about a hundred and thirty billionaires--good for them--the highest poverty rates in the nation, the exodus of the middle class, the destruction of industry after industry after industry. Income inequality is worse under progressive policies, because progressive policies favor the wealthy, the well-connected, and the powerful.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
 8-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Carly Fiorina on Islam in 2001
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Liberal columnist Ruth Marcus thought she had something reporting that Carly told her in 2008 that she would be supporting Hillary if she wasn't already supporting McCain.  Not much of a bombshell since Rush L also tried to help Hillary's faltering campaign (operation chaos) and since the crowd she was trying to appease is from the nation's bluest state and Hillary was seen then as far more moderate than Obama.

I have wondered what other Fiorina statements and especially policy positions might come back from her more moderate Calif campaign to haunt her today as she comes across today as 100% conservative.  If this is all they've got, she is in good shape.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:24:10 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
Haven't had a chance to give a look, but this purports to be the definitive place to find CF's positions on pretty much everything:

https://www.carlyforpresident.com/answers/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
Non-starters for me.

She supports the belief in man made global warming.

She is big into H1B visas, and is likely to go Amnesty.

Plus, her demeanor is becoming abrasive in which she has a perpetual "anger" showing. 

She supported Hillary, and was a supporter of the McCain team. 
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
Also, she supports Cap and Trade.

She indicated that she would have voted to confirm Sonya Sotomayor.

Supported Obama Broadband subsidies

Increased federal government involvement in schools through funding, and doubling R & D spending by government

For anchor babies

Against comprehensive immigration reform

Supports Dream Act, Gang of Eight and "legalizing" illegals and against deportation

Contradictory positions for and against internet taxing

You can have her.........not me.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
The "poor little Donald, every one is picking on him routine" does not fly with me so much-- welcome to the big leagues! but this is of more interest to me:

"Also, she supports Cap and Trade.

"She indicated that she would have voted to confirm Sonya Sotomayor.

Citation?

"Supported Obama Broadband subsidies

Citation?

"Increased federal government involvement in schools through funding, and doubling R & D spending by government

Citation?

"For anchor babies-- this I saw with my own eyes last night

"Against comprehensive immigration reform

Umm , , , aren't all of us here against comprehensive immigration reform?

"Supports Dream Act, Gang of Eight and "legalizing" illegals and against deportation

Probably true, but citation please

"Contradictory positions for and against internet taxing

Citation(s)?

Understand, I'm not doubting you Pat, it is just that I want to have citations.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
Yes master.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
Have fun.

"Also, she supports Cap and Trade.

In late 2008, Fiorina advocated cap-and-trade measures for environmental protection when she spoke at the Republican National Convention that nominated Arizona Sen. John McCain.
"John McCain will create a cap-and-trade system that will encourage the development of alternative energy sources," she said, the environmental news website grist.org reported.
But since she began running for the Senate, Fiorina has backed away from the topic. In a TV interview during the GOP primary this year, Fiorina said, "I'm not sure," when asked whether climate change was occurring.     http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Fiorina-backed-by-coal-mining-firms-3179973.php

"She indicated that she would have voted to confirm Sonya Sotomayor.

http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB20001424052748703499404574558302616877092

"Supported Obama Broadband subsidies

http://www.informationweek.com/regulations/broadband-players-vie-for-stimulus-funds/d/d-id/1078507?

"Increased federal government involvement in schools through funding, and doubling R & D spending by government

http://www.flashreport.org/blog0a.php?postID=2010030418364758&post_offsetP=0

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Tech-bosses-defend-overseas-hiring-Intel-HP-2831865.php

"For anchor babies-- this I saw with my own eyes last night

"Against comprehensive immigration reform

Umm , , , aren't all of us here against comprehensive immigration reform?

"Supports Dream Act, Gang of Eight and "legalizing" illegals and against deportation

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/carly-fiorina-supports-dream-act-but-says-shes-against-amnesty/

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/carly-fiorina-makes-her-pitch-iowa-n418956

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/15/carly-fiorina-open-legal-status-adult-illegal-immi/

"Contradictory positions for and against internet taxing

http://techcrunch.com/2008/03/17/mccain-embraces-tech-executives-for-white-house-push-techcrunch-interviews-carly-fiorina/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3BamUoenjs     (This is for taxation)
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
Sincere thanks Pat.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
Does Carly's anger seem contrived with Planned Parenthood?

I got the idea that she was "pushing too hard" with the anger.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
Didn't seem contrived to me.

================================

By
Kimberley A. Strassel
Sept. 17, 2015 7:15 p.m. ET
1159 COMMENTS

Asked during Wednesday’s GOP debate which woman he’d put on the $10 bill, Jeb Bush named Margaret Thatcher. As Mr. Bush then joked that it would probably be illegal to put a British prime minister on American currency, eyes flicked to the woman standing to his left. Quite so.

Carly Fiorina isn’t Margaret Thatcher, just as her Republican rivals aren’t Ronald Reagan. Yet Ms. Fiorina has a bit of Thatcher about her—and in one way in particular. She isn’t a woman running for president. She’s a presidential contender who happens to be a woman.

That’s new for the GOP. Women have made remarkable inroads everywhere, but there still may be no tougher realm than Republican politics. This isn’t, as the press suggests, because conservative voters are old fogies who’d chain their wives to sinks full of dirty dishes. It’s because conservative voters demand more from their candidates.
Opinion Journal Video
Wonder Land Columnist Dan Henninger on how the anti-establishment candidates fared in the second GOP debate. Photo credit: Getty Images.

Women Democrats pander on gender issues—abortion, birth control, the myth of unequal pay. They promise female voters special handouts. They pitch their womanhood as a qualification for office. And their base loves it.

Women Republicans don’t get to engage in such vote-buying. They are expected to be principled, knowledgeable, serious. They are expected to propose policies—sometimes unpopular ones—designed to help all Americans. And, because the general public (both right and left) is still new to the idea of a woman president, they are expected to do all this twice as well as men.

This was Elizabeth Dole’s problem in her fleeting 2000 presidential bid. Ms. Dole ran on her gender, arguing America ought to elect its first female president—which was no argument at all. It was a problem in 2012 for Michele Bachmann, who loved to claim special insight as “a mother of five” and a “homemaker.” It was a problem for Sarah Palin, whose occasional flubs allowed late-night comics to undermine her seriousness as a vice-presidential candidate.

The Iron Lady didn’t do identity politics, and Ms. Fiorina doesn’t either. At the debate she offered unadulterated substance. She was informed, focused, specific. Want to know what Carly thinks of Putin? Here. Need Carly to explain how hard it is to alter the 14th amendment? Right at ya. Curious if Carly is familiar with Gen. Qasem Soleimani, head of Iran’s Quds Force, and where he’s traveled lately? Boom, boom, boom.

Ms. Fiorina had the opportunity to play the gender card, but she didn’t. Asked about Donald Trump’s comments on her appearance, she might have derided the billionaire as a misogynist. She didn’t. When Chris Christie essentially told her to shut up, she might have looked wounded and wilted. She didn’t.

It isn’t that Ms. Fiorina doesn’t talk about women, or ignores that she is one. It’s simply that she acknowledges it matter of factly, and in the context of opportunity for all. As the men on stage fumbled to think of a lady heroine to grace the $10 bill, Ms. Fiorina demurred. “I wouldn’t change the $10 bill or the $20 bill. I think, honestly, it’s a gesture,” she said. “We ought to recognize that women are not a special interest group.”

She also seems to have mastered the difference between being emotional and being relatable. Every politician seeks to make a connection with voters, but it’s a tougher balancing act for women. Witness the endless fretting in Hillary Clinton’s camp about how to make her more likable, more human, while still projecting toughness and fearlessness.

Ms. Fiorina doesn’t try to do warm or fuzzy or cutesy or folksy. She rarely deviates from her no-nonsense tone. Instead of show, Ms. Fiorina tells. Her story about how she and her husband “buried a child to drug addiction” was a notable moment in the debate. It made her real, a person that many Americans could relate to. As did her obvious revulsion at the practices of Planned Parenthood.

None of this is to say that Ms. Fiorina is unaware of the special challenge of being a female candidate. Her debate performance proved she’s in fact highly aware of it, and that certain additional things are therefore required of her.

One of these is to offer proof that she can be an effective commander in chief. Guys don’t have to do that; girls do. It’s no accident that Ms. Fiorina was the only candidate to propose rebuilding the Sixth Fleet, to suggest restarting a missile defense program in Poland, and to run through how many Army brigades and Marine battalions are necessary for an effective U.S. military.

This gets to the other thing Ms. Fiorina knows she has to do: her homework. Republican female presidential candidates are rare; the base is still getting comfortable with it. She knows she can’t slip up. Her Wednesday performance—from her mastery of facts, to her fluid delivery, to her zingers—was clearly the work of hours upon hours of study and debate prep.

It was Thatcher who famously said, “In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.” Ms. Fiorina has a long way to go to the presidency. But win or lose, she’s running far better than any Republican woman before her.

Write to kim@wsj.com.
Popular on WSJ

Set your profile to public to comment
There are 1159 comments.

All comments will display your real name. Read our commenting rules.
NewestOldestReader Recommended
TIM JONES
TIM JONES 5 minutes ago

Carly has the charisma of a wolf ell.
Flag ButtonShare
William Mikler
William Mikler 14 minutes ago

Well done piece about a woman who is doing her homework.

Flag ButtonShare
Peter Petit
Peter Petit 17 minutes ago

Wouldn't it be ironic if the first female president were a Republican?
Flag ButtonShare
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:38:02 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »
Great documentation on Carly by pp.  I like her but we knew she didn't come into this with a purely conservative record after running as a California moderate.

From the wsj link:
"Ms. Fiorina says she "probably" would have voted to confirm Sonia Sotomayor, because most presidential Supreme Court nominees who are qualified deserve a presumption of support"

- Running for Senate for confirmation vote responsibility is different than running for President for Supreme Court appointment powers.  We don't know what justices any of them will appoint.  Ted Cruz was the only one talking about it.  

From the SF chronicle link:  "Carly thinks we need to have the courage to examine the science of climate change, but knows that us acting alone will only put our companies at a severe competitive disadvantage in the global marketplace with no impact on the issue. First and foremost, Carly believes we need to expand and diversify our nation's energy portfolio - solar, wind, coal, natural gas - to reduce our dependence on foreign sources of oil."

- That's not too bad for someone fighting for a California Senate seat.

From the Information Week link:  "Carly Fiorina, former Hewlett-Packard CEO and current chair of the board of directors for the Technology Policy Institute, said in a conference call with reporters that she finds it encouraging that Congress is spending substantial amounts of money on broadband infrastructure"

- Trump supported the entire stimulus, so did Bush, Bernancke, Obama, and everyone else except me and maybe two others.  If you're going to have a trillion dollar government boondoggle, might as well have some of it go into information infrastructure.  This is about neutral on the political scale, not a flaming liberal smoking gun, not total austerity.

Carly wrote in college (Flash Report link)  "Where I began as a proponent of "States' Rights" in education, I have ended by believing that we will never meet our own expectations of public education unless the federal government is willing to play a consistent, long-term role; unless education truly becomes a matter of national policy, not just a matter of national rhetoric."

- Not my view and maybe not hers now, but probably an electable stance for the general election.

Carly on immigration in Senate campaign (CBS link)  "I would support the DREAM Act because I do not believe that we can punish children who through no fault of their own are here trying to live the American dream."

- Not acceptable to folks here but supporting illegal children with Dream and no other amnesty is a pretty common compromise stance out there.  For whatever we think of it, there would have been no point in running a California Senate as an immigration purist or hardliner.

This is all helpful.  I think she is more comfortable espousing conservative views than being a mushy, Calif moderate.  Either way she may have consistency and hypocrisy issues if she gets caught shifting now.  Others like the frontrunner may also find that getting pinned down on specifics can cost support.  

---------------------------------
On other issues, like HP:  I buy the explanation that the layoffs are part of the business.  Outsourcing is too.  It was a tumultuous time in tech, for HP and for Lucent too.  She is sharp and looks like a strong executive with solid experience to me.  That said, this ad by Barbara Boxer did real damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2lDIHyqo7Q

You can explain the stock price drop and the jobs but you can't tell the median income earner that you tripled your salary and bought a million dollar yacht while that was happening.  I hope that she has a better response to it now than she did then. [I see Fox News Sunday played this same clip this am}

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
Doug,

Carly is getting big bucks from Univision for her campaign.  Bothers me, how about you?
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
Doug,
Carly is getting big bucks from Univision for her campaign.  Bothers me, how about you?

No, but it may indicate what you posted earlier, that she is perhaps furthest 'left' on the compromise path of immigration.

When I get time I would like to delve deeper on my view of the immigration issue today.  Suffice it to say that if Trump's big burst was based on an immigration hardline, and if he falters, that support won't go to those who are softest on the issue.

I don't expect that she is going to win this.  We just like some of what she is saying and how she is saying it.  Especially for calling out Hillary Clinton.  I've never thought Hillary will be the nominee, so that matchup isn't as crucial as the question of how well you articulate our side of politics to the limited number of persuadable people who may sitting on the fence.  She is in the top two or three on that, not first.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
Good analysis Doug.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
She had a big interview w Chris Wallace on Sunday morning and he asked a similar question about did she inadvertently conflate a description by an employee with actual footage of what she described in the debate and she confidently doubled down on it.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
Jeffrey Sonnenfeld has been an outspoken critic of Snarly Fiorina for years. I finally decided to read what he had to say about her. I leave it for you to decide whether his complaints are credible.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/carly-fiorina-ceo-jeffrey-sonnenfeld-2016-213163
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
Well!

It will be interesting to see her rejoinders to these points!

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »
Say Goodbye Snarly!   :-o

I have said before that Snarly supported progressive health care policies. CNN brings it out that she supported the Individual Mandate, though she was against Obamacare.  She wanted Catastrophic Care that all would buy, including the young. Add to this her support for immigration and her belief in man-made global warming and she is through.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/24/politics/carly-fiorina-obamacare-health-insurance-mandate/

Fiorina's long-held support for mandatory health insurance

Carly Fiorina, who has joined other leading Republican presidential candidates in denouncing Obamacare, once backed an individual mandate to buy health insurance that could put her at odds with others in the GOP.

During a panel discussion on CNN's "Crossfire" in 2013 about the law with former CNN host Stephanie Cutter, Fiorina said she supports keeping the requirement that every American purchase health insurance.

"Now there is a requirement for people to take responsibility, which you know most people have insurance," Cutter said. "So do you agree with the mandate idea? That is a Republican idea, came out of the Heritage Foundation, one of our co-hosts, Newt Gingrich, was behind it. And the ban on preexisting conditions? Do you agree with those two provisions?"

"I actually do agree with those two provisions," Fiorina said. "And I think Obamacare remains an abomination, and let me tell you why. First of all, I think no one should be denied health care because of pre-existing conditions. And I think there are many more efficient ways we could have dealt with this other than Obamacare."

"But you are for the responsibility provision?" Cutter, a former top aide on President Obama's re-election campaign, reiterated. "People have to take responsibility for their own care and you are for the ban on pre-existing conditions?"

"Yes I am," Fiorina said. "But, but, do not put words in my mouth. I am not for anything that went around either one of those in Obamacare."

Asked to expand on the two-year-old exchange this week, a Fiorina campaign spokeswoman said she supports a mandate that would require high-deductible "catastrophic care" insurance plans and use federal dollars to subsidize state-based high-risk pools to provide care for those who otherwise cannot afford it. Fiorina's support for an individual mandate, the spokeswoman said, differs from Obamacare in that the law's mandate demands that every American be covered with plans that include a higher threshold of services.

When the Affordable Care Act went into effect, the law effectively banned many such high-deductible plans -- Democrats said they provided insufficient care options -- and it also required that every American buy health insurance or face a financial penalty.

"She was agreeing with the Heritage proposal, which said that there would be some type of catastrophic care requirement -- set up a little like auto damage liability insurance -- aimed at reducing taxpayer costs of unexpected ER visits," Fiorina spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores told CNN. "Not what Obamacare required, which is actually high end insurance coverage."

Indeed, a Heritage Foundation proposal in the 1990s advocated for a mandate — although one that required a lower threshold of services than Obamacare ultimately did years later. And former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney ushered through a law while governor of Massachusetts that required all state residents to have health insurance.

Fiorina's position that health insurance should be mandatory was once widely supported in conservative and Republican circles as an alternative to a single-payer health care plan in the 1990s, but has fallen out of fashion since the rise of Obamacare. Heritage Foundation scholar Stuart Butler, who led the conservative think tank's health policy department while it advocated for a mandate, has since withdrawn his support for the idea. Since that time, many Republicans have offered alternatives to Obamacare. Last spring Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson and Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse each introduced their own health care bills, and all excluded the mandate. Other proposals backed by Republicans — outlined in op-eds and in media interviews -- have not included the requirement.

Despite past conservative support for the idea of mandatory coverage, most Republicans supported an attempt to gut Obamacare by challenging the constitutionality of the individual mandate in federal court. In 2012, however, the Supreme Court ruled that the provision was within the government's power.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
Had to do another on Snarly...........

She has been promoting her HP record. In a O'Reilly "Snarly Career Parts Repair" interview, she cites:

Fiorina pointed out that during her tenure as CEO from 1999 to 2005, she saved 80,000 jobs, went on to grow 150,000 more jobs, tripled the company's rate of innovation to 15 patents a day, quadrupled both the cash flow and grow rate and brought Hewlett-Packard from a Fortune 28 company to a Fortune 11

How did she do all of this?

1. Grew the company by 150k jobs.......these were all "jobs" from the Compaq purchase.
2. Patents...........again from Compaq
3. Quadrupled cash flow and growth rate?  Again Compaq.....
4. Fortune 28 to Fortune 11............again Compaq........

None of this was organic growth when she suggests that it was.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
Umm, , , forgive me for being slow but , , , So what?

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:02 PM »
So what?  Yeah, I guess that the media is correct. She is pure as the driven snow.

IMO, she is a far worse act that all the others. Pure deception. Above all, she is part of the GOPe though she claims to be an outsider. She was on the McCain team, and even worse, stated that if McCain was not running, she would have supported Hillary. Even now, she has said that she would not attack Hillary "personally" which probably means that she would pull a Romney.

At least with Trump, we know what we are getting......................no pretense. And no GOPe rigging.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »
"So what?  Yeah, I guess that the media is correct. She is pure as the driven snow."

My intended point here is one of logic.  If HP wasn't generating patents like it used to, what is wrong with buying an operation that is?  Isn't it a fair point on her part?

"IMO, she is a far worse act that all the others. , , , She was on the McCain team"

I did not know that, though , , , didn't all of us vote for McCain (albeit with fingers pinching nose)?

"and even worse, stated that if McCain was not running, she would have supported Hillary."

Citation?

"Even now, she has said that she would not attack Hillary "personally" which probably means that she would pull a Romney."

Umm , , , amongst all the Rep candidates isn't she the one who is attacking Hillary the most and the most effectively?

That said, I have come to see that she seems to be soft on the subversive elements of Islam here in the US and I have my doubts on her getting ruthless with controlling the border-- it already being a given that she leans towards amnesty.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
I will find the cites.

But here is the thing............Snarly holds herself as so virtuous and pure, but her record and her statements do not support her claims.  As to her character, I find this telling, if true.
Pays back the campaign loans made by her but does not pay her staff or bills.  They were only paid four years later when she decided to run for president. I find this reprehensible. As a small business owner, I always pay myself last, and if nothing is left over, then I don't get paid.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/25/how-carly-fiorina-screwed-her-campaign-staff-and-paid-herself-first.html

If she does this, then what else is she capable of?
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Thank you Pat.

Shafting her own staff for years seems particularly telling and sits quite poorly with me.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »
"Shafting her own staff for years seems particularly telling and sits quite poorly with me."

Yes indeed.