Author Topic: Epidemics: Bird Flu, TB, AIDs, Superbugs, Ebola, etc  (Read 263373 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
coronavirus
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
I dunno
we don't quarantine for flu
every yr
this sounds similar
to me

many likely to get, few to die
in US
will be worse in the 3rd world tho

I doubt I will lock myself up for 30 days ........
the world will not end.

if one wants to avoid move the N Pole.
and no visitors for a yr.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"WHO official" criticizes Trump speech
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2020, 07:20:06 AM »
https://www.the-sun.com/news/461542/world-health-organization-official-lashes-out-donald-trumps-incoherent-ignorant-coronavirus-response/

guess who the WHO official is:

One guess related to Rahm. 

I posted some yrs back I saw him and med conference in NJ some yrs ago about different topics .

PS

not sure why we are urged to get 30 days of water.
is there a concern someone will sneeze into the water supplies?
is there a concern I won't be able to turn the faucet?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:58:49 AM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Epidemics: Bird Flu, TB, AIDs, Superbugs, Ebola, etc
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:38 AM »
Not willing to sign on for the cookies to get that article.

Tucker had something about the head of the WHO being an corrupt east African quasi-jihadi type or something like that.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: "WHO official" criticizes Trump speech
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
https://www.the-sun.com/news/461542/world-health-organization-official-lashes-out-donald-trumps-incoherent-ignorant-coronavirus-response/

guess who the WHO official is:

One guess related to Rahm. 

I posted some yrs back I saw him and med conference in NJ some yrs ago about different topics .

PS

not sure why we are urged to get 30 days of water.
is there a concern someone will sneeze into the water supplies?
is there a concern I won't be able to turn the faucet?

If the trucks stop running, your local grocery store runs out in 72 hours or less. If the trucks aren’t bringing water purification chems to the local water facility, you will need to purify it yourself. If your water system isn’t gravity fed and the electric grid is down, no water from faucet.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Saudi shut down pilgrimage
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:15:21 AM by Crafty_Dog »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: New whistle suckers and their Dem Party lawyers
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Think hard about how to proceed
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2020, 01:38:20 AM »

By Peggy Noonan
Feb. 27, 2020 6:52 pm ET
SAVE
PRINT
TEXT

President Trump holds a news conference on the coronavirus in Washington, Feb. 26.
PHOTO: SARAH SILBIGER/BLOOMBERG NEWS
Punditry 101: It’s bad when you don’t write about what you’re thinking about. All week I was taking notes knowing I’d be looking at South Carolina, Super Tuesday and this week’s debate. I was thinking about polls and Rep. Jim Clyburn’s beautiful remarks in support of Joe Biden. They were beautiful because they were highly personal without being manipulative, which is now something unusual in American politics. But my mind kept tugging in another direction. So I’ll write what I’m thinking, and it may be ragged but here goes.

I’ve got a feeling the coronavirus is going to be bad, that it will have a big impact on America, more than we imagine, and therefore on its politics. As this is written the virus is reported in 48 nations. We’ve had a first case with no known source, in California, and the state is monitoring some 8,400 others for possible infection. Canada has 13 cases. There have been outbreaks in Iran and Italy; in Rome, there are worries because Pope Francis had to cancel a Lenten Mass due to what the Vatican called a “slight indisposition.”

There’s a lot we don’t know but much we do. We know coronavirus is highly communicable, that person-to-person transmission is easy and quick. Most who get it won’t even know they’re sick—it feels like a cold and passes. But about 20% will get really sick. Among them, mortality rates are low but higher than for the flu, and higher still among those who are older or impaired.

So it’s serious: A lot of people will be exposed and a significant number will be endangered. And of course there’s no vaccine.

We live in a global world. Everybody’s going everyplace all the time. Nothing is contained in the ways it used to be. It seems to me impossible that there are not people walking along the streets in the U.S. who have it, don’t know it and are spreading it.

Americans are focusing. If you go to Amazon.com you famously find that the best face masks are no longer available, but check out the prices of hand sanitizers. They appear to be going up rather sharply! (Note to Jeff Bezos: if this turns bad and people start making accusations about price gouging and profiteers, public sentiment won’t just be hard on manufacturers, they’ll blame you too. Whatever downward pressure can be applied, do it now, not later.)

If you limit your focus to politics, to 2020 election outcomes, you find yourself thinking this: Maybe it’s all being decided not in the next few weeks of primaries but in the next few weeks of the virus, how much it spreads, and how it’s handled.

If coronavirus becomes a formally recognized world-wide pandemic, and if it hits America hard, it is going to change a lot—the national mood, our cultural habits, the economy.

The president has been buoyed the past few years by a kind of inflatable raft of good economic news and strengths. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 8,581 points from the day he took office to the beginning of 2020. Unemployment is down so far it feels like full employment. Minority employment is up, incomes are up. He’s running for re-election based on these things.

But the stock market is being hit hard by virus-driven concerns. If those fears continue—and there’s no reason to believe they won’t—the gains the president has enjoyed could be wiped out.

As for unemployment, if the virus spreads people will begin to self-distance. If they shop less, if they stay home more and eat out less, and begin to cancel personal gatherings—if big professional events and annual meetings are also canceled—it will carry a whole world of bad implications.

What I notice as a traveler in America is the number of people who make a traveler’s life easier, and whose jobs depend on heavy travel—all the people in the airport shops and concessions, and those who work in hotels. There’s the woman whose small flower shop makes the arrangements for the donor reception at the community forum, and the floor managers, waiters and waitresses at the charity fundraising dinner. Local contractors, drivers, the sound man who wires the dinner speaker. Many are part of the gig economy, operating without the protections of contracts and unions. If the virus spreads and events are canceled, they will be out of jobs. And that’s just one sliver of American life.

In a public-health crisis the role of government is key. The question will be—the question is—are the president and his administration up to it?

Our scientists and health professionals are. (I think people see Tony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health as the de facto president on this.) Is Donald Trump? Or has he finally met a problem he can’t talk his way out of? I have written in the past questioning whether he can lead and reassure the nation in a time of crisis. We are about to find out.

Leaders in crises function as many things. They are primary givers of information, so they have to know the facts. They have to be serious: They must master the data. Are they managerially competent? Most of all, are they trustworthy and credible?

Or do people get the sense they’re spinning, finagling, covering up failures and shading the facts?

It is in crisis that you see the difference between showmanship and leadership.

Early signs are not encouraging. The messaging early this week was childish—everything’s under control, everything’s fine. The president’s news conference Wednesday night was not reassuring. Stock market down? “I think the financial markets are very upset when they look at the Democratic candidates standing on that stage making fools out of themselves.” “The risk to the American people remains very low.” “Whatever happens we’re totally prepared.” “There’s no reason to panic, because we have done so good.”

It was inadequate to the task.

I wonder if the president understands what jeopardy he’s in, how delicate even strong economies are, and how provisional good fortune is.

If you want to talk about what could make a progressive win the presidency it couldn’t be a better constellation than this: an epidemic, an economic downturn, a broad sense of public anxiety, and an incumbent looking small. Especially if the progressive says he stands for one big thing, health care for everyone.

The only candidate to bring up the threat of coronavirus at the Democratic debate the other night was Mike Bloomberg. This is how you’ll know the fact of the virus has hit the political class: Politicians will stop doing what they’ve done for more than two centuries. They’ll stop shaking hands. It will be a new world of waving, nodding emphatically, and patting your chest with your hand.

Some kinda world, when the pols can’t even gladhand.

It would be extremely reassuring if a temporary armistice were called in the cold war between the White House and congressional Democrats. If the virus is as serious as I think it is, no one will look back kindly on anyone who acted small.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
death rate
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:22 AM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-fatality-rates-vary-wildly-depending-on-age-gender-and-medical-history-some-patients-fare-much-worse-than-others-2020-02-26

I suspect the actual numbers here will be much less but. who really knows.
University of Nebraska ID expert on yesterday saying he suspects it will be less than 1%.

The total world wide death rate in the 1918 epidemic was estimated at 30,000 for decades though for some inexplicable reason the numbers seem to get higher as we get further from the disease -  50 mill even 100 mill.

If I recall the death rate was about 5% at that time.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Lowry WH should not down play virus
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2020, 06:35:52 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/02/26/the-white-house-shouldnt-downplay-coronavirus-117812

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/02/26/the-white-house-shouldnt-downplay-coronavirus-117812OTOH

in New Jersey the politicians have become our nannies.
Everytime there is a thunder shower I get some sort of warning on my phone
before it rains .

If we have one inch of snow we are hearing warnings about a storm schools are closing
and we advised only go out if absolutely needed

Like every time I get into my car I get a warning about driving and using the radio. and the radio WILL NOT turn on till I am forced to see this

someone is always "covering their ass" at my inconvenience .

the Pols feel if they don't put the warning out they could be criticized if a few people slip in rain or ice.

I just want the information from the CDC and not endless nanny warnings making hysteria worse.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Impact on IRan
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2020, 02:38:15 PM »
third post

February 28, 2020   View On Website
Open as PDF

The Coronavirus Outbreak: Impact on Iran
By: Caroline D. Rose

Over the past two weeks, Iran has been dealing with an outbreak of coronavirus that has so far led to 388 infections and 34 deaths in the country. The government has struggled to contain the virus, and in barely more than one week, there have already been riots over its mismanagement of the outbreak. The virus has not only had political consequences but also economic ramifications, especially stemming from the closure of border crossings with some of its most critical trade partners. The dissatisfaction with the government’s handling of the outbreak comes at an especially vulnerable time for the regime. Over the past two years, the United States has applied a maximum pressure campaign on Iran that it hoped would squeeze the country’s finances, instigate social unrest and curtail Iranian influence in the Middle East. It has done so mainly through sanctions, which have crippled Iran’s economy and caused some degree of unrest but failed to weaken the regime to the point of collapse. The coronavirus outbreak, however, has the potential to undermine the regime in ways that U.S. sanctions never could.

Still, we don’t expect the government to completely crack under the pressure; Tehran will manage by implementing curfews, quarantines and other measures to crack down on anti-government sentiment. But coronavirus is yet another issue that will cause the public’s frustration with the government to rise. It highlights the growing distrust of the regime, as well as the government’s own resilience in the face of adversity.

Economic Implications

Many have highlighted the potential implications of the outbreak for Iran’s economy, particularly the effects on trade and Iran’s currency. But the country’s formal economy won’t take as big a hit as other affected countries like China and Italy. Sanctions have already crippled Iran’s economy, forcing the country to reduce its dependence on exports and rely increasingly on illicit trade. While the outbreak will certainly further discourage other countries from trading with Iran and affect its access to foreign currency, the list of willing buyers for Iranian exports is already limited, and the value of the rial has already declined substantially.

Instead, the outbreak’s largest economic impact will be felt in the shadow economy, which has been Iran’s greatest weapon against sanctions. Iran’s gross domestic product dropped by 4.8 percent in 2018 and an additional 9.5 percent in 2019, and its unemployment level rose to 16.8 percent last year. Import shortages, high living costs, drained foreign currency reserves, a strained pension system, and skyrocketing prices for bread, beef, sugar and milk have also contributed to the country’s deep recession. Iranians have therefore increasingly resorted to the informal market as a means of survival. In 2017, Iran’s informal economy was estimated to account for about 36 to 38 percent (worth $12.3 billion) of economic activity in the country. Experts estimated that $10 billion to $15 billion worth of products were smuggled across Iran’s borders annually. By contrast, non-oil exports traded through official channels were worth about $650 million in 2019. At a time of extreme economic hardship, therefore, smuggling has provided a source of income for thousands of otherwise unemployed Iranians.

The informal economy has also enabled Iran’s oil export market to survive. This is because U.S. sanctions only target trade of Iranian goods in the formal market. In May 2019, the U.S. announced a fresh round of sanctions with the intention of slowing Iranian crude production to zero. The campaign has been fairly successful: Iranian exports have fallen 87 percent from 2016 levels, and oil output decreased to 2.1 million barrels per day last October from 3.8 million bpd in 2018. Tehran has therefore been forced to turn to other means, including smuggling, to sell its most profitable export.

In 2018, experts estimated that between 5.3 million to 10.6 million gallons of crude were smuggled out of Iran daily – though this number has undoubtedly declined as production has fallen. Proxy networks and Iraqi Shiite militias loyal to Tehran have served as dependable intermediaries in Iranian smuggling networks. Militias within Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces, which the Iraqi government has entrusted with guarding certain border checkpoints, patrolling highways and protecting oil fields, have been particularly helpful. Iraqi Shiite groups and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps have also helped smuggle Iranian crude into Syria, now the largest customer for Iranian oil. Crude is typically smuggled across the border using trucks and vans through unofficial or militia-guarded checkpoints, particularly along challenging terrain such the marshlands in the Maysan province. It is often offloaded between Iraqi Shiite groups with limited Iranian logistical supervision and transported along the al-Boukamal-al-Qaim highway at the Iraq-Syria border. Though trucks, which can carry only about 120 barrels of oil, and vans, which can carry only 12 barrels, are not as efficient as oil tankers, Iran’s wide network of proxies in Iraq has turned cross-border smuggling into one of the most reliable methods of distributing Iranian oil to external markets.

But this method will be jeopardized if Iraq closes its border over coronavirus fears. Iraq has already closed some crossings for several days to stop the virus from spreading. The economic impact will depend on how strictly Baghdad enforces the border closures and prohibition on travel to and from Iran. Smuggling won’t end entirely, as poorly defended border crossings will continue to enable illicit trade. But the element of fear will certainly have an impact on Iran’s informal economy. All of the reported infections in Iraq and Lebanon have been linked to Iran. People involved in the trafficking of goods will be increasingly hesitant to deal with Iranians, particularly as cases in the region continue to rise in countries that lack protective gear, medical services and well-staffed hospitals. Even if the Iraqi government does not enforce the border closure as strictly as it says it will, the virus could take a toll on Iran’s informal economy.

Political Unrest

Most importantly, the virus comes to Iran at a politically inopportune time. In its first two weeks of the outbreak in Iran, the government has already shown signs of unpreparedness. Sanctions and the recession have stripped Iran’s health care system down to its bones, depriving it of critical medical equipment, personnel and expertise. As of 2019, the World Health Organization recorded the country had only 10 doctors per 10,000 people. (For comparison, in the U.S. there are 45 doctors per 10,000 – and the Association of American Medical Colleges considers even this a shortage.) Reports have poured in from Iran about the lack of protective masks, hand sanitizer and adequate medical equipment in both rural and urban environments. And the government’s track record of reporting infections has upset opposition lawmakers and citizens alike. Tehran announced the two cases that hit Qom on Feb. 19, two days before elections to the country’s parliament, or Majlis, and withheld information about an additional 18 cases and two deaths (translating to a higher mortality rate than the global rate of a little over 3 percent) two days later.

(click to enlarge)

But the government had a powerful interest in underselling the scale of the outbreak, less than two months after it sparked protests when it accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger airplane during a missile barrage targeting U.S. forces in Iraq, and ahead of an election that was already fated to be controversial. In January, the Guardian Council barred 6,850 reformist candidates from the ballot, causing widespread outcry over a lack of democratic representation and leading to calls, particularly in urban areas, to boycott the vote. The last thing the government needed, then, was a mass viral outbreak that would further damage the credibility of itself and the election. In the end, the election’s outcome was favorable for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, with 30 conservative hardliners gaining seats in the Majlis. Just 42.57 percent of Iranians voted, the lowest participation rate since the 1979 Islamic Revolution and down nearly 20 percentage points from the previous election in 2016. Fear of infection certainly played a role in keeping Iranians from the ballot box, and the government didn’t shy away from accusing its “enemies” of sensationalizing the outbreak to influence its internal affairs – even if, in the end, the low turnout probably worked to the government’s advantage.

In the wake of the election, as the extent of the outbreak has become clear, there have been riots over the government’s mishandling of the virus. In Talesh, a city in Iran’s northern Gilan province, people protested the government’s secrecy and mysterious quarantines outside a hospital on Feb. 23 until security forces dispersed them with tear gas. In Isfahan, medical students protested in front of the University of Medical Sciences over the lack of protective gear and supplies, while in Rasht, protesters started fires in the streets to oppose unexplained street closures, where they were met with crackdowns from security forces. And in Najaf, protesters upset with the government’s refusal to close the city’s international airport attempted to block travelers’ access.

In the face of rising unrest, Tehran has tried to nip political threats in the bud. On Feb. 26, Iran’s cyberpolice unit arrested 24 people accused of spreading rumors about the virus, and warned news outlets and social media users against reporting cases that contradicted official reports. The government is gradually shutting down social gatherings, religious sites, schools and sports matches in affected provinces as well as the cities of Isfahan, Mashhad, Tabriz, Shiraz and Tehran, which will soon turn into full-fledged quarantines and curfews. Under such restrictions, large anti-government gatherings will be difficult to coordinate. But that doesn’t mean political resentment toward the regime won’t continue to fester.

In unstable countries such as Iran, the coronavirus outbreak is not only a health crisis but also a political and economic threat to the regime. In the face of a crushing sanctions campaign, the government has been struggling to keep the lights on, keep protesters off the streets and keep up its campaign to spread its influence in the region. The hospitals are lacking proper medical kits and virus protection to treat patients. Panic risks crippling its illicit economy, which has struggled to make up for its teetering formal economy. With such political and economic uncertainty, Iran’s government cannot finance this outbreak and come out unscathed. However, after everything the regime has endured in recent years, it will likely take much more than the coronavirus to force regime change.   

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2020, 09:27:03 PM »
Indeed. 

A point that caught my attention today was the danger of secondary respiratory infections going uncured as we run out of antibiotics due to supply chain issues with China.

In the meantime, the Jews are on it: https://www.dailywire.com/news/bds-this-israel-makes-exciting-breakthrough-in-race-for-coronavirus-vaccine

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 29, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
if I recall the 1918 -19 pandemic lasted ~ 14 mo .
and traversed the globe twice

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Things that make you go "Hmmmm . . ."
« Reply #227 on: February 29, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Don't test, don't tell
« Reply #228 on: February 29, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »
https://www.epsilontheory.com/dont-test-dont-tell/

I was wondering how Vegas didn't have any cases.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 4 cases in Coahuila, Mexico
« Reply #230 on: February 29, 2020, 09:59:50 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
It's just like the flu!
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »

Go back to sleep. Everything is fine.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
Coronavirus: China stabilises with lowest new cases since epidemic began
Expert team and supplies arrive in Tehran to help worst-hit country outside China cope with epidemic while Chinese officials report record low of 125 new cases.
7 minutes ago
https://www.scmp.com/

Dow up today.  When is the big scare over?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/01/world/nasa-china-pollution-coronavirus-trnd-scn/index.html

Greta be praised!

Coronavirus: China stabilises with lowest new cases since epidemic began
Expert team and supplies arrive in Tehran to help worst-hit country outside China cope with epidemic while Chinese officials report record low of 125 new cases.
7 minutes ago
https://www.scmp.com/

Dow up today.  When is the big scare over?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
George Friedman on Corona
« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2020, 04:23:14 AM »
George Friedman is the founder of Stratfor, and then of Geopolitical Futures.
=====================

March 3, 2020 View On Website
Open as PDF

Thoughts on the Coronavirus
By: George Friedman

I have presented geopolitics to be like economics, a science that predicts and summarizes the impersonal forces that drive a system so vast as to be beyond the control of individuals. Each is controlled by forces so powerful that kings and peasants alike must align with them or fall victim to them. Kings ultimately do not decide the global business cycle, nor do they control the relations between nations. Kings must align with the overwhelming forces that are at work.

To some extent, individuals are helpless in the face of massive forces. In a world of seven billion people and endless variables, humans make history by aligning with it. This is difficult, since thinking that we are caught in a storm in which we may choose to get wet or to make and sell umbrellas collides with the idea that we are all masters of our fate. We are masters of our fate in making certain we understand the forces that compel and constrain us. We are masters of our fate in choosing how we align with the broad reality. But when markets decline, we can claim to have willed them to do so, but the markets consist of billions of people making billions of decisions, so the best we can do is try to anticipate the decisions that are going to be made.

There is something preposterous in all this. We all know that politicians do make decisions and that these decisions matter. It is the wisdom and goodwill of the leader, and sometimes the lack of both, that make history. The idea of history being out of control – the idea that depressions and war are ultimately beyond the control of the leaders whom we hold responsible for all things, good and bad, and can at best anticipate what is coming and mitigate it – is terrifying. Far better to imbue them in our minds with powers they don’t have, to praise or execute them for things over which they are as helpless as we are.

I bring this up in light of the coronavirus, which exists outside the purview of world leaders. It is dreadful because it will do what it will do. It is even more dreadful because it is a virus, something without consciousness that cannot be reasoned with or bribed. We are merely observers of it, waiting for it to show whether it is as powerful as we fear, and waiting with even more dread to see whether we or those we love will fall victim to its terrible power or be saved with the discovery that its power will be meager. We search for a way to align ourselves with the disease, but like history, it flows on.

We live in the age of technology that has achieved remarkable things, from antibiotics to microchips to visions of the universe. We take pride in what has been wrought. But each of these things has come from understanding the nature we have been given, aligning with its forces, and crafting engines that conform with nature, not changing it. And when our power grows enough that we delude ourselves to be nature’s master, something arises to remind us of our limits. In due course, it will learn more about the coronavirus, including ways we can fight it, but for now our fears take counsel of themselves.

The threat of the virus is not only that we may die, but that the fear of death will cause the world to heave up out of control. The virus first emerged with authority in China, a country dominated by the idea that the state’s power governs all things. This belief holds a fractious nation together in pride at how the state had made China great. The coronavirus showed the limits of human power, even in China. Beijing insists that it will deal with the virus and that its edicts will stop its spread, but the reality is that China is being overwhelmed, both by the disease and by the fear of the disease.

Two great forces are being hurled against each other. On the one side is a tiny bag of molecules that aligns with the vulnerabilities of the human body. On the other side is science, desperately trying to find its footing, justifying itself by asserting the limits of its knowledge and the promise that it will know more later. The virus is what it is, science is what it is, and so are the rulers, whose opinions on what the virus is and what ought to be done are of value to the extent that they conform to the reality. Our local supermarket has announced that it is rationing the number of sanitizing wipes that can be bought because of high demand, while the latest word from experts is that the virus is spread by human liquids. No matter, where there is no solution, we invent solutions. They give us comfort that we are fighting back.

In truth, we don’t know how deadly the virus is. It may kill no more than the flu. It may turn out to be much worse. We don’t know. And therefore the global economy is in disarray. China’s economy seems shattered. The price of oil is plunging. And fear of Turkey releasing Syrian refugees on Europe is now compounded by fear that they carry this disease among others.

We speak of black swans, unpredictable events that wreck economic and geopolitical expectations. This is surely a black swan, even if humanity has been periodically hit by unexpected diseases for time immemorial. We know there are black swans swimming about, and that one or two will occasionally come to shore. It is the time they decide to leave the lake, and the reasons that they have chosen this particular time, that startles us and drives us to search for explanations and solutions.

Not understanding why they chose this moment or what their intent is, we search for explanations. Since we no longer believe that they are here as God’s punishment for our sins, they must have been caused by biological warfare units, or have spread because of the incompetence of scientists and politicians. Where priests used to comfort us, now leaders do, and now we hold the leader responsible not for causing the virus, but for not acting quickly enough to protect us.

Coronavirus does not seem to be like the Black Death that wiped out half of Europe. It seems more like a nasty flu. But then that is just one guess in a world full of guesses. It has been elevated to a global menace because living in Texas, I am aware of what is going on in Wuhan. Listening to scientists, I am told that this is a new virus. Being American, I am presented with a problem and expect someone to solve it quickly. It is what I know that concerns me: The virus is global, it kills people, it has wreaked havoc in China and some other countries, and therefore I should be and am afraid. It is not the unknown but the poorly understood that is frightening, as well as the inability of very smart people charged with protecting me from all things natural and dangerous to do so.

Our expectations are what frighten us. The coronavirus does not seem especially dangerous to our species. But we have come to expect to be protected and when we are not our imaginations turn to the apocalypse. The successes of science and the claims of politicians have led us to believe in human invincibility so that the arrival of the virus is a violation of the social contract between the state, science and us. There are limits to power, and that, above all else, frightens us.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Compare and contrast
« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
Daily Memo: China Recovers From Coronavirus, Others Descend
By: GPF

Chinese imports. Chinese authorities reported 125 new coronavirus infections on Tuesday. A twist: At least 19 patients had contracted the virus from elsewhere, particularly Italy, prompting Beijing to issue a slew of warnings against travel abroad and urging Chinese citizens currently abroad to stay put. Stories (MARC: Chinese lie?) such as this enable Chinese propaganda chiefs to shift the narrative toward the complexities of epidemiology or the relative inefficiency of democracies’ efforts to mobilize against the outbreak. The problem for China (among many others) is the global spread will only compound its economic crisis. The issue now for China isn’t just the herculean task of getting people back to work and its factories up and humming (without refueling the outbreak), but also the risk that, if much of Europe, Japan and the U.S. go into lockdown – and if the resulting panic triggers a global recession – the loss of external demand for Chinese goods could torpedo the “V-shaped recovery” that would normally follow a public health crisis.

In the U.S., the virus has now been detected from the West Coast to the East Coast, and as of publication, six people have died in the United States, all in Washington state. There is, however, a possible silver lining. Based on a genetic analysis, scientists believe that the coronavirus has been circulating in the Seattle area for about six weeks. If that’s really the case, then it is almost certainly true that hundreds if not thousands of people in Greater Seattle alone already have been exposed to and infected by the virus. That only six people have died is further evidence, then, that the case fatality rate is far below the widely cited 2 percent estimate, which has likely been inflated because of the concentration of deaths in Hubei province. Some 4.2 percent of patients have died in the province, where hospitals are overwhelmed, compared to just around 0.8 percent elsewhere in mainland China. In South Korea, the rate is just above 0.53 percent, while in Italy it’s about 2.5 percent. Iran’s case fatality rate has started to normalize now that Tehran is acknowledging the scale of its outbreak (835 new confirmed cases on Tuesday alone). A lower case fatality rate would suggest the virus is more akin to a severe cold or seasonal flu than the more dire comparisons that have been made.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator