• Power User
    • View Profile
debates
« Reply #1350 on: May 16, 2024, 06:13:18 AM »
one on CNN
with Tapper Bash
in June
and other in September on ABC

ABC might not be too bad but for sure Bash and Tapper will have DNC provide questions.
Joe's team will be tipped off in advance of the questions though all will deny.

I noticed a lot of Fox and Newsmax jokes about Trump creaming Biden but I really hope they do take this debate seriously and Trump actually spends some time preparing rather then go out and wing it.

Over confidence can easily backfire and this also lowers expectations to the point that even if Biden does somewhat well all the pundits will blast the airwaves that he did great and better then anyone thought.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #1351 on: May 16, 2024, 06:49:35 AM »
AGREE!!!

Trump was an hubristic asshole in the first debate and set himself up for the mike cutoff demand now.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #1352 on: May 16, 2024, 07:36:20 AM »
AGREE!!!

Trump was an hubristic asshole in the first debate and set himself up for the mike cutoff demand now.

Yes.  Trump needs to approach it with the completely different mindset. In the first debate of 2020, Trump's strategy was to try to rattle Biden. Biden is a terrible interrupter, and Trump knew it and he knew it was two against one, so he started writing talking over everyone and making the whole thing unwatchable. 

They get equal time. They need to shut microphones off if necessary, each candidate gets to use their time. The questions will be biased of course but that's the playing field that Trump has agreed to. Just call out the questioner as well as the opponent for being purely political, and go on and win the argument.

We keep saying it but he needs to attack the Democrat policies, not the man. He needs to win Senate seats and the house as well. He needs to recognize this is a change of Direction election, and if he doesn't sweep all of those it isn't going to change the direction. He's an older man now and he's got to look at this as being way more then about him.

Trump seems to know this time around that temperament is a big issue for. Think white suburban soccer moms, they will never vote for an imbecile. The Democratic argument last time was put the adults back in charge. That turned out to be a joke with the Biden democratic policies. Trump needs to be the adult in the room in both debates.

If he wants the debates to help his candidacy, he has to do his part to make them watchable. Swing voters and undecideds are not going to watch three or four people shouting over each other for one and a half to 2 hours.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Biden's Morehouse Commencement Speech
« Reply #1353 on: May 21, 2024, 05:38:12 AM »
All about "saving democracy", or something like that .  Since he is the incumbent, in power for most of the last  50 years, you could call his reelection theme, saving the status quo - in a country where 80% see us heading in the wrong direction (and the other 20% don't want to admit that to the poll takers).

Huffpost reports:

"Morehouse’s alumni stood and applauded Biden’s speech while most students remained seated."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/biden-message-isnt-reaching-voters-aiming-for_n_664abd76e4b0e81de1241ba1

[Doug]  Rich, white liberal elites took over the Dem party. Good for them.  But the old coalition is gone and not coming back.

Farmers, gone.  'Working class', gone. Young voters, gone. Jewish vote, leaving. Muslim vote, gone. Hispanic advantage, gone. 

One shoe left to drop, white suburban soccer moms.  Wait until they see the bearded guy playing against their 7 year old daughter's soccer team this summer.  Gone.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 05:58:20 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024, Trump visits swing state Minnesota
« Reply #1354 on: May 21, 2024, 06:16:51 AM »
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/05/trump-comes-to-town-2.php

Link to full video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeopSwEgXjI&ab_channel=RightSideBroadcastingNetwork
VP(?) Burgum at 2:00.00, Trump at 2:15.00.

Long speech.  I didn't agree with or like all of it, but he makes some very powerful points, and he is the last man standing against the march to Leftism, failure and collapse.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:51:49 AM by DougMacG »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: AI fakes coming to 2024 election?
« Reply #1356 on: May 21, 2024, 06:52:07 PM »
https://apnews.com/article/fbi-ai-russia-china-election-security-7200abc0215e822c84f032605bed41b9?_sc=NDM5ODcwNiMxNTU5MQ%3D%3D&utm_campaign=Extremism+Roundup+2024-05-16+rsnd+05-21&utm_medium=email&utm_source=brevo

See this for what it is: the government preparing the battle space. They will then point to this fear to excuse their interventions while claiming true video and audio sources are in fact Russia, China, Pago Pago or wherever “deep fakes.”

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2024 Trump Veepstakes, Sean Trende
« Reply #1357 on: May 21, 2024, 08:25:57 PM »
Can't say I fully agree with him but I do respect his opinion.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2024/05/21/ranking_trumps_vice-presidential_options_150980.html
-----------------------------------
His analysis of the same state issue is different than what I understood. Marco Rubio is his number one pick, who can best help Trump win.

Yes, Republicans will take the Senate, just not by as wide a margin as we hoped  - as it sits today, and a tie is possible. 
----------------------------------
Per Brave search (AI compiled)

What happens if president and vp are from same state
According to the U.S. Constitution, there is no rule that prohibits a President and Vice President from being from the same state. In fact, there is no constitutional or legal barrier that prevents candidates for President and Vice President who live in the same state from running together.

Why is this possible?

The misconception that a President and Vice President cannot be from the same state likely stems from a misunderstanding of the Electoral College system. The 12th Amendment, adopted in 1804, requires electors to cast separate ballots for President and Vice President. However, this amendment does not prohibit electors from voting for candidates from their own state.

What happens if the President and Vice President are from the same state?

In the event that the President and Vice President are from the same state, the Electoral College would still vote to elect the President, but not the Vice President. In this scenario, the election of the next Vice President would become the responsibility of the U.S. Senate, where each senator would get one vote. If the vote is tied, it is unclear what would happen next.

Conclusion

In summary, there is no constitutional or legal barrier that prevents a President and Vice President from being from the same state. The misconception likely stems from a misunderstanding of the Electoral College system, and the election of the Vice President would be handled by the U.S. Senate in the event of a tie.

-------------------

The new Congress will be sworn in Jan 3.  The Electoral College meets Jan 6.  Joe Manchin will be gone but we don't know for sure about the rest of the likely to flip seats.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:08:46 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Rubio for VP
« Reply #1358 on: Today at 07:43:30 AM »
Rubio has been a distinct pleasure over the past yr every time I have heard him speak.

He has clearly become the warrior for us.  Always was, but now he has extinguished the final Rino tendency in his rhetoric and policies.

I would vote for him for VP
however, I don't know if he would be best pick for Trump.

I don't know who would be.
None are slam dunk to me and all have some pros and cons.

I still like Pompeo but he would probably be better as SoS.

As for checking DEI boxes - my thought - to hell with that.
We want the best.

Doug Bergum would be a top choice for me.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rubio for VP
« Reply #1359 on: Today at 07:53:29 AM »
Rubio has been a distinct pleasure over the past yr every time I have heard him speak.

He has clearly become the warrior for us.  Always was, but now he has extinguished the final Rino tendency in his rhetoric and policies.

I would vote for him for VP
however, I don't know if he would be best pick for Trump.

I don't know who would be.
None are slam dunk to me and all have some pros and cons.

I still like Pompeo but he would probably be better as SoS.

As for checking DEI boxes - my thought - to hell with that.
We want the best.

Doug Bergum would be a top choice for me.

I don't know either but add this appearance to the mix:
https://thefederalist.com/2024/05/20/rubio-gives-masterclass-on-parrying-media-hacks-dishonest-election-questions/

Since 2016 when I supported Rubio for President I have found issues and positions where I disagree with him.  But still, I would be very happy to have him on the ticket.  Like a believed then, he puts a pleasant and positive voice on conservatism.  Very skilled in answers and presentation.

Sean Trende:
"Rubio makes so much sense. He takes Florida off the board (to the extent that it isn’t already) and probably ices Nevada and Arizona as well. He might put New Mexico into play. He’s reassuring to suburbanites, and beloved of anti-anti-Trump Republicans. He sounded Trumpian themes on working class woes before Trump."

[Doug]  I'm not sure about what he says about those states.  If true, that is huge.  I like what he says about suburbanites.  I believe THAT is the battleground.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tech Billionaires Turn for Trump?
« Reply #1360 on: Today at 03:35:50 PM »
An interesting turn:

Billionaires for Trump grows
Pledging lives, fortunes, and sacred honor has become fashionable again
MAY 22, 2024

After his honorable discharge on March 5, 1960, from the Army after being drafted, Elvis Presley hit RCA’s studios in Nashville and began recording hits again, including his riff on O Sole Mio that he called It’s Now or Never, which became his biggest international hit.

It’s now or never
Come hold me tight
Kiss me, my darling
Be mine tonight
Tomorrow
Will be too late
It’s now or never
My love won't wait

That is Trump’s theme song this election because it is do or die time. The indictments and the attempt to destroy his business in civil court make it clear that we don’t get another chance to topple this banana republic.

Some rich men get it. The Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post reported, “Trump gets $1 million from Silicon Valley donor who once gave to Democrats.”

The subheadline said, “The donation from Jacob Helberg, a Palantir adviser who helped push the TikTok ban, shows some tech leaders coalescing against Biden.”

He’s gay. He’s Jewish. He’s not alone.

He said, “The social cost of supporting Trump isn’t as great as it was. Trump was right on a lot of make-or-break issues for America.”

Helberg is part of the Gay Mafia that made Peter Buttigieg the secretary of transportation who did such a lousy job that just about everyone in America knows who the secretary of transportation is. Heck, before Buttigieg, most people didn’t know we had a secretary of transportation.

Another strike against him is Helberg also has been a lobbyist for the ban on Tik Tok bill. I love free speech more than I hate Red China.

The Bezos Post said:

Earlier this month, Helberg traveled to Mar-a-Lago, where he says he “fell in love” with Trump while mingling with a slate of GOP vice-presidential hopefuls, including Sen. J.D. Vance (Ohio), Rep. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.), Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Rick Scott (Fla.). He spent the better part of the other week in conversation with the former president about topics such as the risks of overregulating artificial intelligence and the importance of Silicon Valley playing a role in developing military technologies, he recalled.

Tech executive-turned-podcast influencer David Sacks, who, like Helberg, is a close associate of billionaire investor Peter Thiel, is another member of the Silicon Valley cohort who has moved toward the former president. (Helberg is married to Keith Rabois, a compatriot of Thiel since their undergraduate years at Stanford University and a former partner at Thiel’s venture capital firm, Founders Fund.) Sacks initially backed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) — helping launch his campaign on X — and then hosted fundraisers for Republican Vivek Ramaswamy and now-independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Now, Sacks is organizing a Trump fundraiser of his own, and he hosted the likes of Elon Musk, Thiel and Rupert Murdoch at his Hollywood Hills home in April for a dinner party focused on airing anti-Biden grievances, according to four people familiar with his activities, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe them. The Sacks fundraiser and party were first reported by Puck.

Sacks has complimented Trump on X. And he might be joined in his fundraising efforts by Chamath Palihapitiya, a former Facebook executive who co-hosts the “All-In” podcast with Sacks and has historically backed Democrats, one of the people said. Palihapitiya did not respond to a request for comment. Sacks declined to comment. Rabois told The Post last year that Trump was a “sociopath” and that he would not vote for him, but declined to comment on his current position beyond saying he was not supporting Biden.

Bezos knows who all these people are because the Astor 400 of elegantly dressed and refined elites has given way to politically charged elitists. Members of the Astor 400 went down with the ship as they gave their spaces in lifeboats on the Titanic to women and children first. These clowns fly their jets to climate control conferences.

After the 2020 election, Jacob Helberg tweeted, “Congratulations to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris for winning a hard fought election. To all who supported Pres Trump, you will have in Joe Biden someone who will always strive to represent you and Americans of all stripes. Now is when the hard work of rebuilding our nation only begins.”

Sarcasm or gullibility? You make the call.

At any rate, his flip to Trump is a healthy sign because given the bloodsport Biden has made of American politics, these men really are pledging their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor. Chairman Xi destroyed Jack Ma — once the richest man in China — for daring to publicly criticize communism. Does Helberg really believe he won’t be Jack Ma-ed in Biden’s second term?

Three things explain this inexplicable move by Helberg. The first is that he does not really believe they would do this to him because, it is just politics, right? I doubt Helberg understands the feeling of having the power to force millions of Americans to take a shot. But the government did and that rush Biden and the rest have explains why Mengele did the things he did.

The second reason he is publicly rebuking Biden is Elon Musk. Trump standing up for America can be dismissed as ego tripping. But then the richest man on Earth at the time acquired Twitter, a direct and open challenge to the deep state, which sponsored its censorship. Musk encouraged others to stand up.

The third reason — and this is more conjecture than usual on my part — is October 7. The savage attack on civilian Israelis by Palestinian soldiers/Hamas terrorists and the world’s refusal to be horrified should have sent the message to Helberg, Rob Reiner and every other Jew in America that being Jewish makes you a target.

Indeed, instead of making Hamas leaders stand trial for these war crimes, the world goes after Israel. Iranians may have celebrated the death of their dictator, but the United Nations mourns.

My condolences to Biden for losing another friend.

Reiner can pretend to be Buddhist all he wants, but circumcised matters. When the actual Nazis take over, it will come down to whether a man has a foreskin. It won’t grow back.

71% of American males are snipped, by the way.

For whatever reason Helberg has, I welcome his support for two reasons. One, it is a million bucks going to help elect Trump. Two, it is a million bucks not going to Biden to continue this madness.

Biden and the deep state used the mails to stuff the ballot boxes and win in 2020. It could happen again. Helberg and a few others are going to make it more difficult because Americans now see how a banana republic in DC abuses its power.

https://donsurber.substack.com/p/billionaires-for-trump-grows?r=1qo1e&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email&triedRedirect=true