Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 431975 times)

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Paul Ryan - Republican Quisling...
« Reply #1150 on: June 17, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »
Paul Ryan threatens to sue Donald Trump if he tries to enact temporary ban on Muslim immigration

JUNE 17, 2016 3:06 PM BY ROBERT SPENCER

Paul Ryan and the Republican establishment seem determined to do two things: to elect Hillary Clinton President of the United States this November, and to make sure that nothing impedes the huge influx of Muslim migrants into the U.S.

Yet San Bernardino shooter Tashfeen Malik had passed five separate background checks from five separate US government agencies. Ahmad al-Mohammed and one other of the jihadis who murdered 130 people in Paris in November 2015 had just entered Europe as refugees. In February 2015, the Islamic State boasted it would soon flood Europe with as many as 500,000 refugees. And the Lebanese Education Minister said in September 2015 that there were 20,000 jihadis among the refugees in camps in his country.

Meanwhile, 80% of migrants who have come to Europe claiming to be fleeing the war in Syria aren’t really from Syria at all. So why are they claiming to be Syrian and streaming into Europe, and now the U.S. as well? An Islamic State operative gave the answer when he boasted in September 2015, shortly after the migrant influx began, that among the flood of refugees, 4,000 Islamic State jihadis had already entered Europe. He explained their purpose: “It’s our dream that there should be a caliphate not only in Syria but in all the world, and we will have it soon, inshallah.” These Muslims were going to Europe in the service of that caliphate: “They are going like refugees,” he said, but they were going with the plan of sowing blood and mayhem on European streets. As he told this to journalists, he smiled and said, “Just wait.”

Paul Ryan doesn’t care. He only cares that the bipartisan politically correct establishment retains its power.

“Paul Ryan says he might sue Donald Trump if he tried to enact the Muslim ban,” by Allan Smith, Business Insider, June 17, 2016:

Paul Ryan considers Donald Trump’s proposal to indefinitely ban Muslim immigration into the US to be executive overreach.

And during an interview with The Huffington Post, uploaded on Friday, the House speaker said he’d “sue any president that exceeds his or her powers.”

Ryan, who said Trump supported the separation of powers when the speaker endorsed the presumptive Republican nominee, released part of his agenda regarding executive overreach this week.

However, Ryan is not totally sure if Trump enacting a ban on Muslims entering the country would be outside of presidential authority.

“That’s a legal question that there’s a good debate about,” Ryan said, pointing to the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act. That act was meant to exclude immigrants from certain countries from coming to the US in the aftermath of World War II.

On Monday, Trump made the appeal that he could legally enact such a ban as president.

“The immigration laws of the United States give the president powers to suspend entry into the country of any class of persons,” he said at a rally. “I will suspend immigration from areas of the world where there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies, until we fully understand how to end these threats.”…
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #1151 on: June 17, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »
NOW Ryan is speaking up!?

Not when we have 8 yrs of Obama ruling like a dictator but now - against his own party's nominee!

Sorry but he has his head on backwards.

:x

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:24 PM »
I can remember when I used to like Ryan.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
Ryan is wrong here, very wrong on more than one level.

Legally he is wrong-- the president does have this power

On the merits he is wrong.

Politically he is wrong-- this elects Hillary.
   :x :x :cry:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Good riddance
« Reply #1154 on: June 20, 2016, 07:15:34 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: June 20, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
Ryan is wrong here, very wrong on more than one level.

Legally he is wrong-- the president does have this power

On the merits he is wrong.

Politically he is wrong-- this elects Hillary.
   :x :x :cry:

People, especially Trump, put the wrong emphasis on his controversial, 'ban all Muslims' statement""

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on,"

We've been through this since Trump entered the race.  That statement was intended to inflame and divide.  He should have instantly switched the emphasis to THIS ADMINISTRATION NOT KNOWING OR ADMITTING WHAT IS GOING ON.

The time it takes for our country's representatives to figure out what is going on should be instantaneous.  On Day One of the Trump administration, we would figure out what is going on, right?  So there was no ban on "all Muslims" coming.  Yet Ryan and others are constantly being pressured to respond to whatever the apparent nominee of his own party is saying.

The refugee crisis was caused by this administration's failures in that region.  The refugees include some 10% who are jihadists coming here to potentially kill us and a much larger percentage who side with ISIS and the enemies of the US.

e pluribus unem - out of many, one.  That is what we are and who we are.  It is not what those coming in now seek.

Fine to blame Ryan on the details of his statement, the legal aspects of one branch challenging another (as if Obama appointed judges would side with the law), but his need to distance himself and House Republicans from this assault on all Muslims was Donald Trump's creation.

In fact, we will only solve this global security crisis when all peaceful Muslims (yes, there is such a thing and there needs to be!) are able to separate themselves from the radical jihadists.

G M wrote, "I can remember when I used to like Ryan".   Paul Ryan was a protege of Jack Kemp, one of the biggest proponents of opportunity economics and leader of the Reagan reforms that led to a quarter century of greatly increased prosperity.  That is my wing of the party.  Now, because of the recklessness of Donald Trump, Paul Ryan is reduced to chasing Donald Trump's shiny objects and siding with Democrats over Republicans on key points.  WHY AREN'T THEY TALKING ABOUT LOWERING THE HIGHEST BUSINESS TAX RATES IN THE WORLD?

Donald Trump wasn't going to ban all Muslims from entering the country.  He isn't going to impose 40% or 45% tariffs on Mexico or China.  He isn't going to evaluate female cabinet members by breast size.  But he is going to say things that require others to distance themselves from him.  That benefits Democrats, costs us the Senate and perhaps the House, in addition to installing Hillary Rodham Clinton in the White House.

This is Paul Ryan's fault?  Sorry, I don't see it that way.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
Has Ryan done anything of note to stand up to president pen-and-drone?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 20, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
Has Ryan done anything of note to stand up to president pen-and-drone?

Not to my knowledge. 

The Obama leftist over-reach brought us the Republican House and eventually the Senate.  The failure of both to stand up to him brought us the Trump opening and Ted Cruz as the last reasonable alternative.  Neither were ready or positioned to win a general election.  The Trump nomination victory is bringing us more leftist over-reach. 

Full circle.  Stuck on stupid.

Republican-run House.  Republican majority Senate (not 60 votes).  31 Republican Governors to 18 for the Dems.  70% of the state houses are now Republican because of distaste for leftism out in the heartland.  And we are still ruled by Leftism everywhere.

Politically we were better off watching them run us into the ground than helping them do it.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 20, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
So, as I see it, we have the dem machine running this country into the ground and Ryan-o and his peers can only be aroused to fight Trump.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 20, 2016, 09:33:59 AM »
"This is Paul Ryan's fault?  Sorry, I don't see it that way."

Doug, he shares some blame as do most of the Repubs who have been in power for the last 15 years.
 or at least last 8.

The reason Trump blew aside the field is not because Ryan or most of the others have done a particularly good job or because they are innocent bystanders.

But I agree Trump does put all of us in positions of defending his vulgarity crudeness and the rest.

His messages are mostly good but again he needs more couth, that he does not have.

So what do we do now?  I don't know. Getting rid of Lowendowski certainly signals Trump is listening to more reasoned people around him.

GM: "So, as I see it, we have the dem machine running this country into the ground and Ryan-o and his peers can only be aroused to fight Trump."

Right ;  Where was Ryans big mouth and fighting spirit for the last 8 years.  Now he is suddenly rock strong?  Now that the left can use him to make THEIR points !
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:36:45 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
I don't see Ryan as a RINO.  I agree (mostly) with him on policy, just not on how to conduct war with the left.  To be fair, he led the charge against Obamacare and has been the Speaker for about a minute - in an election year.  I expect his policy agenda to be the best available blueprint going forward (it just won't be implemented).

That said, he was soft on illegal immigration - the Trump opening, and soft on de-funding leftism - the Cruz opening.

On the current course, assuming Trump loses and R's lose the Senate and win the House, Ryan may all we have left.  I do not expect his long term approach in that situation to be the same as Boehner's.  If Trump can win, Ryan will be necessary for anything good to happen.

I have no problem with him presenting the House as a check and balance over a President within his own party.  The failure to stand up to Obama is a past mistake from which Republicans may never recover.  It divided the movement and empowered the opposition.

"So what do we do now?  I don't know."

We picked the wrong guy.  70% negatives.  Makes Hillary look popular.  Who could have seen this coming?  whatever...

The only guy who can solve it now is Trump.  If the delegates suddenly switched allegiances and installed Rubio, Kasich, Walker or anyone else as nominee right now we would divide and lose even worse.  God help us.

My thought is that I will support and help Trump make his journey to becoming a better candidate and President who will make America Great Again by openly criticizing him on every policy and statement that deserves it.  Same goes for Ryan his new role.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
One measure of Paul Ryan
« Reply #1161 on: June 20, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
Conservative Review's Liberty score is one way to gauge the leaders politics on a conservative - liberal scale so to speak:

Speaker Ryan's "Liberty Score" is only 55 % which is not high.  Looking closely though he scores poorly on spending and more conservatively on other issues.  Probably from voting to fund everything Da Bamster wants.  I recall Levin talking about how Ryan asked him to read his book and that he and Mark have more in common in political philosophy then Mark gives him credit but Mark was not having it.  I am not a blind follower of Levin but I usually do agree with him probably 90 or 95 % of the time so this was telling to me about Ryan:

https://www.conservativereview.com/members/paul-ryan/liberty-card/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH: Trump goes nuclear
« Reply #1163 on: June 21, 2016, 05:46:51 AM »
One can bash Trump but

can one only imagine how frustrating it would have been if we had had ANOTHER establishment running?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436829/donald-trump-supporters-policy
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:52:45 PM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 22, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
This race is Trump's to win.  Latest poll shows him leading Clinton on the economy and he most certainly should be able to make the case he would make us more secure.

Regarding the unforced errors, they are correctable.  The first thing he addressed after firing his campaign manager is the Warren-Pocahontas mess.  First, the joke was Faux-cahontas.  Warren isn't some beautiful native princess, she is a phony.  He corrected it by saying he was wrong and that it was an insult to Pocahontas.  I'm guessing people LOVED hearing him say he was wrong even if it was only about a throwaway line about an irrelevant leftist.  He is wrong on some other things too.  Correct them and get focused on two things, being the best choice for the economy and best on security.  Shouldn't be that hard; his opponent is running to continue our economic and security problems.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
This certainly resonates with me!!!!

No one else Ryan or anyone else has been saying what the left is doing to us.

Including the big tech giants who are happy to spread their business world wide , which is ok with me but not at the gigantic expense of losing our borders and our sovereignty!

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/06/22/2016-election-trumps-policy-americanism-vs-clintons-policy-globalism/

A friend of mine still says thank God for Trump.   I don't know I am there yet but four fingers are crossed on two hands behind my back.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
2nd post today
« Reply #1166 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
From NPR  :-o :

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/22/483090531/trump-just-gave-the-speech-republicans-have-been-waiting-20-years-to-hear

Of course the NYT is already posting their girl's teams response .  But who cares what she says.  Listening to her is an absurd waste of time.

But here is DJT speech:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/transcript-trump-speech-on-the-stakes-of-the-election-224654

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 22, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
I caught Trump's speech this morning while stretching out.

Very encouraging!

Particularly catching my attention were:

1) Appealing to gays-- he did this after Orlando, (every American deserves to be protected, every American has a right to be armed to defend themselves)-- this will serve well to blunt the bigotry/homphobia demogoguery charges not only viz gays but also signals that Trump stands aside from the culture wars in this regard, also see how he stood aside from the potty wars;
2) Superb attack on Hillary's treasonous corruption-- great specificity for once!
3) Superb planting of seed of doubt concerning her blackmailability if enemies have her 30,000 deleted emails, or her 20,000 undeleted emails.
4) Superb moment with "Hillary's slogan is 'I'm with Hillary, but I am with America/you" 
5) Great opening pitch to the Sandernistas-- we agree, the system is rigged, the EDC is the insider, I am the outsider WE (Sandernistas and Trump) can stand TOGETHER.

Very promising developments!!!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Could Nancy Pelosi please be next?
« Reply #1168 on: June 23, 2016, 04:45:33 AM »
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/06/22/finally_a_republican_other_than_me_tells_the_truth_about_hillary_clinton

I have idea.  His next hit job should be on Nancy Pelosi.  The totally corrupt dishonest minority, ex majority leader.  Time to lay out her and her families corrupt history of sweetheart government deals.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »
A most worthy target!-- but a tangent for Trump in this moment (and would play into anti-woman irrelevancies)  Let him stay focused (always a challenge for him  :roll: ) on the EDC now. 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
" Let him stay focused (always a challenge for him  rolleyes ) on the EDC now. "

Good point.  Maybe this guy could write another book to get the ball rolling (over the Pelosi mafia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Cash

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 25, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
I posted this in the Politics thread too, but post it here to underline that Trump's appeal to the black vote on the basis of eliminating competition and downward wage pressure from illegal aliens.

https://www.facebook.com/ObamaTheWorstPresident/videos/1101438939899206/?pnref=story

Prediction:  Trump will surprise with how well he does with the Black vote.

https://www.facebook.com/ObamaTheWorstPresident/videos/1101438939899206/?pnref=story

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 25, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
The Left is having a party over this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/politics/george-will-donald-trump-leaving-republican-party-election/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29

I have felt that way about the GOP for 10 years if not longer.
Problem is we don't have 4 to 8 years to "grit our teeth" and wait for 2020 or 2024 as he reasons.

By the, there will be another 25 million voters for the Democrat party in our country (legal and illegal with amnesty) and 2 more liberal Supreme Court Justices. 
It is almost too late now.   It is unbelievable that bamster is now waving the requirement for people who are trying to become citizens to pledge allegiance to the flag.

THIS GUY IS OUR PRESIDENT?  He is doing everything he can to destroy the United States as a sovereign nation.
Obviously the Left agrees with him.  Not a peep out of them.  Their obvious disgust with the Brexit vote feels like having someone spit in our faces.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump's VP pick
« Reply #1174 on: June 27, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
My prediction, John Kasich, is failing because he still hates Trump and because his own star really fizzled after his only win in Ohio.  He really won Ohio as the anti-Trump, not a pitch he can use as VP pick.

This story goes over the names:
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/who-will-donald-trump-pick-his-vp-n598736

The only name they add of note to what has already been dissected is Mike Pence who I like.  Maybe he can help Trump carry Indiana and not lose in 50 states.

Friends of mine, mostly sane, say they will vote Hillary to stop Trump.  Friends of mine on the left are receiving cell calls by the hour from Hillary and Hillary,PAC and GOTV groups while Trump is floundering.  Washington Post has him down now by double digits.  Brexit vote should have helped him immensely.  Orlando shooting should have sealed the deal.  He was vacationing when he should have been pouncing.  Master of the media message??  Where are you?

Lesson to my side who already lost, you can't wait for every four years to put out a message, then fall off-message and hope to win.  Do Olympic champions take the four years off before the main event?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Donald Trump's Turnberry
« Reply #1175 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
The Left is having a party over this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/politics/george-will-donald-trump-leaving-republican-party-election/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Top+Stories%29

I have felt that way about the GOP for 10 years if not longer.
Problem is we don't have 4 to 8 years to "grit our teeth" and wait for 2020 or 2024 as he reasons.

Strangely, on the issues where I disagree with George Will, he tends to agree more with Trump.

We've been in general election mode for nearly two months.  What kind of conservative party nominee, campaign or election does Trump hope to win that doesn't include having George Will at least lukewarm on your side?  Good grief.

The idea that Sanders supporters are going Trump or Republican in large numbers to cover for conservative votes lost is a joke. 

The question is presented for conservatives, are you better off seeing your country get 65% more screwed up by a Republican (in name only) or 80% more screwed up by a Democrat?

A Trump failure as President, especially if he consolidates Republican support to win which he must, will not be followed by a political correction to the right.  A Trump failure as a candidate only leaves his supporters even more bitter toward conservatives who didn't back him, never to join them again.  A Hillary victory and failure will not leave us time to fix the country in our lifetimes no matter what follows.

Screwed and screwed are our two choices.  Choose wisely (gallows sarcasm).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan on the Trump-Reagan comparison
« Reply #1177 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Noonan on the Trump-Reagan comparison
« Reply #1178 on: June 27, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »
https://patriotpost.us/opinion/43431

"if Trump wants to be compared to Reagan he should act more like him."

Good to see Peggy Noonan on Patriot Post.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »
Yes!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 03, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
2nd post
« Reply #1182 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, Mike Pence for VP?
« Reply #1184 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:15 PM »
I predicted it would be John Kasich to help Trump get elected but a lot of possible choices are declining.

CONSERVATIVES RALLY AROUND MIKE PENCE FOR VICE PRESIDENT

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/07/conservatives-rally-around-mike-pence-for-vice-president.php

With Ernst apparently off the list, whom do conservatives favor?

In my view, Tom Cotton would be a great choice, assuming he’s willing. However, many conservatives seem to be rallying around Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

In fact, when Ernst withdrew, she suggested Pence should get the VP nod. She told Politico:

I will admit that I am a Mike Pence fan. He is so well-rounded, served as a governor and I think he’s a great conservative. So I don’t think he could go wrong.

Jeff Roe, the manager of Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign, also raves about Pence. Roe said of Pence:

I think he’d be fabulous. He’d be a rudder on a somewhat erratic campaign and he would have the right balance of being a full-spectrum conservative, having executive experience and legislative experience. He’s one of the best choices I’ve heard mentioned.

Trump has said he would like a running mate who knows his way around Capitol Hill. Pence served for ten years in the U.S. House, including a stint as chairman of the House Republican Conference.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: July 07, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
Did not know about Pence's congressional background; still favor Newt though.  Inter alia, Newt knows the Clintons well, and is well positioned to remind people of how Bill used to say what Donald says now.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »
Did not know about Pence's congressional background; still favor Newt though.  Inter alia, Newt knows the Clintons well, and is well positioned to remind people of how Bill used to say what Donald says now.

Yes, Newt would be an interesting pick.  He can call out both Clintons on what worked and what didn't during the Bill Clinton administration, and why does Hillary now oppose all the policies that worked then?

Newt is 73, would make it two white guys over 70 on the ticket, right while we are losing the youth vote.  Mike Pence is only 57 but also white haired, makes roughly the same appearance.  Trump is cognizant of appearances but I don't know who can change that appearance and is strong enough and willing to help him.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump on Dallas
« Reply #1187 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:14 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gen Flynn is pro-choice, Trump VP stakes, Mike Pence
« Reply #1193 on: July 13, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/07/10/potential-trump-vp-pick-on-abortion-women-have-to-be-able-to-choose/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%207-10-16%20FINAL&utm_term=Firewire

When I read the above, I thought, no big deal.  Reflecting further I think Trump does not need a fight with his base and the VP choice is the clearest signal he can send about how he will choose his team and govern.

Another point about the General, who seems to be a strong pick, is that we value civilian control over the military.  A retired general is a civilian but his strength comes from being a general.  Besides pro-choice, whatever surprises will emerge?

Earlier I predicted John Kasich because the Ohio Governor can help him win a key state and Trump is all about winning, doesn't need help governing.  But Kasich can't him when he won't endorse him.  Too much bad blood there, so skip that too.

Newt is 73.  When he seeks to follow Trump's two terms, he will be 81.  Fine with me but I don't see it happening.  I also don't think Newt has the energy now that he did when he was the star 22 years ago.  Newt's political strengths are phenomenal but his weaknesses persist.  He drifts off focus.  Like Trump, he had his own affairs.  He was a "historian" for Fannie Mae(?!) and he lost Florida to Romney...  He can serve better as an adviser or cabinet member.

Christy?  Let's hope not.  Christy might be the best prosecutor of Hillary, that is what Trump says he wants, but brings his own baggage.

Rubio? Out.  Cruz? No.  Carson? Has faded from sight.  Condi?  No.  Jeff Sessions? Why?

Knowing Trump a little, he would like to pick from somewhere completely off our radar screen, his own Sarah Palin, but that hasn't worked.

The right answer at this moment is Mike Pence, hedged only by the fact that no one can predict Trump on anything.

Pence checks all the boxes.  He is experienced, level headed, conservative, not extreme, and won't over-shadow the candidate.  He has served in Congress, on foreign policy and governed a midwest, rust belt state.  He looks and sounds seasoned, but is only 57, about the right age for that job.

The decision has to be made by tomorrow, Thursday, and the actions needed in Indiana to make that possible need to happen on Friday.

Pence was a little cowardly on the religious defense against militant gay crusaders, but is a solid conservative that makes the choice between Hillary and Trump a stark one.

Hillary picks last, can pick a woman, black or Hispanic and can play that card until she is blue in the face and thick in the calves.  Trump will make the case that he is ready to disrupt the status quo, and go super negative on Hillary when he isn't busy trying to look Presidential.

For all the possibilities, the media is ready to go with their hit pieces:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-sealed-records_us_5786778fe4b03fc3ee4edf55

Critics say Pence has not accomplished anything significant and rather has glided on the coattails of his predecessor, former Gov. Mitch Daniels (R), who is credited with putting Indiana’s fiscal condition in order and growing the economy.

Supporters have cheered Pence's focus on tax cuts and credit him with signing into law one of the largest tax cut deals in state history.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/287569-five-things-to-know-about-mike-pence

Pence is "a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order."

He led the fight to de-fund Planned Parenthood, a winning conservative issue.  He opposed the Bush-Kennedy, no child left behind.  He opposed the bank bailout in 2008.

Rated 61% on free trade by Cato.  That's about right for Trump.
http://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/Mike_Pence_Free_Trade.htm

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:33:47 PM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, the Veepstakes and the Republican convention
« Reply #1194 on: July 14, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
"The decision has to be made by tomorrow, Thursday, and the actions needed in Indiana to make that possible need to happen on Friday."

I will make my announcement Friday 11am:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/753398572515725312

The timing indicates it is Pence.  Ballot juggling needs to be done in Indiana by Friday noon.

Krauthammer prefers Gingrich, Pence doesn't 'move the needle'.

The Pence choice is not bold and takes the pressure off of Hillary to make a risky choice, introducing someone new to the country like Castro or Perez.  She should pick Biden.  But will pick Warren.  Warren unites her left leaving her free to flirt with the center.
------------------------------------------

On another note, PAT WAS RIGHT, polls are roughly even now both nationally and in key states coming into the conventions, and Trump hasn't really started or done anything right yet.  This race is very winnable.

Trump has been quiet lately, taking just a few minutes to win the argument against Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg who apologized today.  He is preparing for his convention.  This is the media event of the media life he has led since the 1980s.  He has complete control and has had 30 years to visualize and plan for this.  It is the summer doldrums of news.  Can he attract an audience and put forward a message that will live past the Hillary convention that has the advantage of going last?  We will see.

Look for Jodi Earnst to hit it out of the park.  Tray Gowdy should make the case against Clinton; he will be Trump's Attorney General.  Ted Cruz is going to step up to the plate.  Marco Rubio, the one they should have picked, will paint a vision for the future.  And look for some surprises better than Clint Eastwood's attempt last time.

Good luck to the Donald.  He needs to make a personal and Presidential connection with the people who have doubted him.  I wish he wasn't wrong on a couple of key issues.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:48:10 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 14, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
"Krauthammer prefers Gingrich, Pence doesn't 'move the needle'."

I think True about Pence.  But which way does Newt mover the needle?  To full or empty?  I like him but I agree with another pundit who asked do we really want to bring back the 90's with Newt and Clinton?

Newt can be great but he also has made bombs that ultimately bring him down.

The Dems are out to get Christy's on the bridge issue and frankly I don't believe his is innocent on this myself.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, VP pick, election chances
« Reply #1197 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
"Pence had endorsed Ted:"

The Pence pick is better than taking Cruz, Rubio or Kasich.  He gets all the credit without taking any of that baggage.  Pence is better than Cruz in that he served longer in Congress, has foreign policy and executive experience, gets along on Capital hill, and hasn't been in any big fights with Trump.

No conservative in their right mind can not sit out or not vote Trump.  There is the chance that Trump could either govern well or die.  What chance do conservatives have to turn things around if the other side wins?  None.

The timing is perfect.  They needed to unite, not fight, coming into the convention.

The speaker lineup looks great for the convention.  Look for a great show.  I hope they get decent viewership and make some kind of a substantive and lasting impression.  

Hillary is now free to pick Tim Kaine, the left's Mike Pence.  He is a white, middle aged guy that has served as Governor and Senator in Virginia, a key state.  That should be a fair fight.  Let whoever is right on the issues prevail.

The table is now set for Trump to win in a landslide.  (PAT WAS RIGHT.)  Trump closed the gap before doing anything right.  Now he can step up, be Presidential, rip up a flawed opponent and win.  There is a powerful case to be made against the status quo on the economy and around the world and she has no chance to separate herself from it.  Trump faulted Romney for not seizing that opportunity.  Now is his chance.

Don't blow it.

P.S.  Trump is dead wrong on two things in particular, private takings and being or sounding anti-free trade.  The first won't come up and he can rip TPP all he wants for its sovereignty issues.  If he can get through the convention without ripping free trade on its merits he will go a long way toward winning and governing well.  We don't need a trade wall to make America great again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:52:08 PM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newt on Pence
« Reply #1198 on: July 15, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
Governor Pence -- a Good Choice for VP

I have known and respected Governor Mike Pence for more than a decade, since he was a smart, principled, conservative member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

In 2005, Mike and I held an event together at the American Enterprise Institute about “The Future of Conservatism.” I was impressed by his eloquent case for smaller, more accountable government. He was an early critic of the fiscal excesses of Congressional Republicans during the Bush years and of federal overreach in general.

As Chairman of the House Republican Conference, Mike was the only member of the senior Republican leadership to address the Tea Party rally in Washington, D.C. in 2010. He was instrumental in helping House Republicans win the majority that year.

He also served for a time as chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a caucus of conservative House Republicans -- a sign that he was well-liked and respected among his House colleagues.

Mike went on to win the Indiana governorship in 2012 and he has served a very successful term in that role. He signed the largest tax cut in the state’s history, eliminated the estate tax, and significantly reduced income taxes -- all while controlling spending.

Governor Pence’s conservative reforms helped drive an economic boom in Indiana. In just 3 years, the state has added more than 150,000 jobs and reduced its unemployment rate from 8.4 percent to less than 5 percent. Companies like Subaru, Amazon, and Salesforce have added thousands of jobs in the state.

Mike has also been committed throughout his career to defending the rights of the unborn and protecting religious liberty and the role of faith in public life.
As an accomplished governor, a solid conservative, and a former leader in the House who has good relationships with Congress, Mike Pence is a strong vice presidential nominee.

He can help reach out and reassure members of Congress and Republican governors who may be skeptical of Trump’s untraditional candidacy. People who know Mike and have served with him will appreciate his background in the conservative movement.

Mike also brings very practical governing experience which could prove invaluable in a vice president. He knows how to govern from the executive branch, and he also understands the dynamics of a legislative body as a former member of the House leadership.

Mike Pence will make an excellent vice president for Donald Trump. Their partnership has the potential to be transformative, to revitalize our economy and our national security, and to make America great again.

Your Friend,
Newt

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
As though these Jews would have voted for him anyway
« Reply #1199 on: July 16, 2016, 06:25:14 AM »
I admit it is a bit odd that Trump said nothing about David Duke etc. but everyone knows it is not because he is racist and there is zero evidence he is anti-semitic unlike Hillary (see Dick Morris on this: http://www.nationalenquirer.com/videos/hillary-clinton-anti-semite-scandal-jews-israel-dick-morris/ ).

The fact is these Jews are all a bunch of die hard Democrats who would never vote for any Republican and the alleged anti semitic convoluted arguments are just a ruse.  Like the ridiculous picture of Hillary with the 6 pointed Jewish star somehow a veiled anti-semitic slur.  As a Jew I saw that add and it did not even dawn on me about the star at all.

More liberal Jewish propaganda forces Rabbi out of delivering invocation at RNC:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prominent-rabbi-pulls-out-of-delivering-rnc-invocation-181310880.html