Author Topic: The Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness  (Read 859007 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness
« Reply #1700 on: November 20, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
More from Gallup:
--44 percent approved of Obama’s handling of the economy, and 54 disapproved.

--44 percent approved of Obama’s handling of healthcare policy and 54 percent disapproved.

--37 percent approved of Obama’s handling of foreign affairs and 59 percent disapproved.

--30 percent approved of Obama's handling of ISIS and 64 percent disapproved.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/186647/approval-obama-handling-economy-healthcare.aspx?g_source=Politics&g_medium=newsfeed&g_campaign=tiles

Upside down by 10 points on domestic issues.  Upside down by 22 points or more on foreign policy.

Glad I'm not running for Obama's 3rd term.  Isn't Obama's foreign (and domestic) policy also Hillary's?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 20, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
To crossword puzzle players around the world,
'ISIL' and 'ISIS' may start showing up in crossword puzzles under the following clue:
     4 letter word for 'Obama legacy'.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:38:36 PM by DougMacG »

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
C-SPAN is now asking the question............is Obama Muslim? Personally, with all of the Obama "gaffes" suggesting that he was Muslim, his willing appeasement of Muslim fanatics, his statements that he would support Muslims over the US, I have held the low information voter opinion that he is in fact Muslim.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/11/c-span-asks-question-did-president-obama-just-admit-he-was-muslim-video/
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:00:56 PM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness - Assad must go
« Reply #1704 on: November 23, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »
Gallows humor I suppose, but funny in a way that Assad will outlast Obama.

In fairness, Iran's nuclear program outlasted Bush-Cheney.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Glibness, Let's not overreact to ISIS attacks
« Reply #1705 on: November 23, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-us-not-relent-islamic-state-campaign-080929228--politics.html#

"ISIS cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S.(still the J_V team), and he warned [against] overreacting to the Paris attacks

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Glibness, Let's not overreact to ISIS attacks
« Reply #1706 on: November 23, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-us-not-relent-islamic-state-campaign-080929228--politics.html#

"ISIS cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S.(still the J_V team), and he warned [against] overreacting to the Paris attacks

ISIS can't because Obama is.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Except for Yogi Berra and Willie Mays all these awards can be tied to some liberal agenda.    No surprise.   Any Republican celebrities?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3331587/Obama-recognizes-17-nations-highest-civilian-award.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
VDH: Obama has just begun
« Reply #1708 on: November 25, 2015, 11:53:54 PM »
 Obama Has Just Begun
How much damage can he do in his last year in office?
By Victor Davis Hanson — November 24, 2015

Insidiously and inadvertently, Barack Obama is alienating the people and moving the country to the right. If he keeps it up, by 2017 it will be a reactionary nation. But, counterintuitive as it seems, that is fine with Obama: Après nous le déluge.

By sheer force of his personality, Obama has managed to lose the Democratic Senate and House. State legislatures and governorships are now predominantly Republican. Obama’s own favorable ratings rarely top 45 percent. In his mind, great men, whether Socrates or Jesus, were never appreciated in their time. So it is not surprising that he is not, as he presses full speed ahead.

Obama certainly has doubled down going into his last year, most recently insisting on letting in more refugees from the Middle East, at a time when the children of Middle Eastern immigrants and contemporary migrants are terrorizing Europe. What remaining unpopular executive acts might anger his opponents the most? Close down Guantanamo, let thousands more refugees into the United States, free thousands more felons, snub another ally, flatter another enemy, weigh in on another interracial melodrama, extend amnesty to another million illegal aliens, make global warming laws by fiat, expand Obamacare, unilaterally impose gun control? In lieu of achievement, is the Obama theory to become relevant or noteworthy by offending the public and goading political enemies?

An Obama press conference is now a summation of all his old damn-you clichés — the fantasy strawman arguments; the caricatures of the evil Republican bogeymen; the demagogic litany of the sick, the innocent, and the old at the mercy of his callous opponents; the affected accentuation (e.g., Talîban; Pakîstan, Îslám, Latînos, etc.) that so many autodidacts parade in lieu of learning foreign languages; the make-no-mistake-about-it and let-me-be-clear empty emphatics; the flashing temper tantrums; the mangled sports metaphors; the factual gaffes; and the monotonous I, me, my, and mine first-person-pronoun exhaustion. What Obama cannot do in fact, he believes he can still accomplish through invective and derision.

In the 2016 election campaigns, most Democratic candidates in swing states will have distanced themselves from the last eight years. Otherwise, they would have to run on the patently false premise that American health care is more affordable and more comprehensive today than it was in 2009; that workforce participation is booming; that scandals are a thing of the past; that the debt has been addressed; that Obama has proved a healer who brought the country together; that immigration at last is ordered, legal, and logical; that the law has never been more respected and honored; that racial relations are calmer than ever; that the campuses are quiet; that the so-called war on terror is now over and won with al-Qaeda and ISIS contained or on the run; that U.S. prestige aboard has never been higher; that our allies appreciate our help and our enemies fear our wrath; that Iran will now not go nuclear; that Israel is secure and assured of our support; and that, thanks to American action, Egypt is stable, Libya is ascendant, Iraq is still consensual, and the Middle East in general is at last quiet after the tumultuous years of George W. Bush.

The hordes of young male migrants abandoning the Middle East for the West are merely analogous to past waves of immigrants and should be uniformly welcome. For Obama,  there is no connection between them and his slashing of American involvement in the Middle East — much less any sense of responsibility that his own actions helped produce the crisis he now fobs off on others.

If an American president saw fit to attack fellow Americans from abroad, and lecture them on their illiberality, there are better places from which to take such a low road than from Turkey, the embryo of 20th-century genocide, and a country whose soccer crowds were recently shouting, “Allahu akbar!” during what was supposed to be a moment of silence offered to the Paris dead. Surely an American president might suggest that such grassroots religious triumphalism about mass death is much more reprehensible behavior than are his own fellow citizens’ demands to vet the backgrounds of refugees.

If you suggested to Obama that, in his search for a contrarian legacy, he should do something to stop the slaughter in the Middle East and be careful about letting in more unexamined refugees, in answer, he would be more likely to do less than nothing abroad and vastly expand the influx of migrants. Getting under his critics’ skin is about all that is left of a failed presidency.

Many of our observers still do not quite grasp that Obama will end his presidency by seeking to get his opponents’ goat — and that his resentment will lead to some strange things said and done.

Few foresaw this critical element of the Obama character. The tiny number of prescient pundits who warned what the Obama years would entail were not the supposedly sober and judicious establishment voices, who in fact seemed to be caught up in the hope-and-change euphoria and missed entirely Obama’s petulance and pique: the Evan Thomases (“he’s sort of god”), or the David Brookses (“and I was looking at his pant leg and his perfectly creased pant, and I’m thinking, a) he’s going to be president and b) he’ll be a very good president.” “It is easy to sketch out a scenario in which [Obama] could be a great president.”), or the Chris Matthewses (“the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”), or the Michael Beschlosses (“Uh. I would say it’s probably — he’s probably the smartest guy ever to become President.”), or the Chris Buckleys (“He has exhibited throughout a ‘first-class temperament,’ pace Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.’s famous comment about FDR. As for his intellect, well, he’s a Harvard man”), or the Kathleen Parkers (“ . . . with solemn prayers that Obama will govern as the centrist, pragmatic leader he is capable of being”), or the Peggy Noonans (“He has within him the possibility to change the direction and tone of American foreign policy, which need changing; his rise will serve as a practical rebuke to the past five years, which need rebuking; his victory would provide a fresh start in a nation in which a fresh start would come as a national relief.”).

In truth, it was the loud, sometimes shrill, and caricatured voices of talk radio, the so-called crazy Republican House members, and the grassroots loudmouths of what would become the Tea Party who had Obama’s number. They warned early on that Barack Obama’s record was that of a petulant extremist, that his writing presaged that he would borrow and spend like no other president, that his past associations gave warning that he would use his community-organizing skills cynically to divide Americans along racial lines, that nothing in his past had ever suggested anything other than radicalism and an ease with divisive speech, that his votes as a state legislator and as a U.S. senator suggested that he had an instinctual dislike of the entrepreneur and the self-made businessman, and that his past rhetoric advised that he would ignore settled law and instead would rule by fiat — that he would render immigration law null and void, that he would diminish the profile of America abroad, and that he would do all this because he was an ideologue, with no history of bipartisanship but a lot of animus toward his critics, and one who saw no ethical or practical reason to appreciate the more than 60 years of America’s postwar global leadership and the world that it had built. Again, the despised right-wingers were right and the more moderate establishment quite wrong.

Abroad, from Obama’s post-Paris speeches, it is clear that he is now bored with and irritated by the War on Terror. He seems to have believed either that Islamist global terror was a minor distraction with no potential for real harm other than to bring right-wingers in backlash fashion out of the woodwork, or that it was an understandably radical manifestation of what was otherwise a legitimate complaint of Islam against the Western-dominated global system — thus requiring contextualization rather than mindless opposition.

A lot of ambitious and dangerous powers are watching Obama assume a fetal position, and may well as a consequence act foolishly and recklessly this next year. Not only Russia, China, and North Korea, but also Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, ISIS, and assorted rogue states may take chances in the next 14 months that they would otherwise never have entertained (given that America is innately strong and they are mostly in comparison far weaker) — on the premise that such adventurism offers tangible advantages without likely negative consequences and that the chance for such opportunities will not present itself again for decades to come.

At home, Obama feels liberated now that he is free from further elections. He thinks he has a legitimate right to be a bit vindictive and vent his own frustrations and pique, heretofore repressed over the last seven years because of the exigencies of Democratic electioneering. Obama can now vent and strike back at his opponents, caricaturing them from abroad, questioning their patriotism, slandering them for sport, and trying to figure out which emblematic executive orders and extra-legal bureaucratic directives will most infuriate them and repay them for their supposed culpability for his failed vero possumus presidency.

The more contrarian he becomes, and the more he opposes the wishes of the vast majority of the American people, all the more Obama envisions himself speaking truth to power and becoming iconic of something rather than the reality that he is becoming proof of nothing.

Hold on. We haven’t seen anything yet.

— NRO contributor Victor Davis Hanson is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and the author, most recently, of The Savior Generals.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 29, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Giving the President credit where credit is due.  He presided over 0.0 degrees global warming for his entire two terms.  An amazing environmental record!  Warming growth was held even lower than economic growth.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: November 29, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Unfortunately that is both funny , , , and not.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Glibness: New Tax is the Most Elegant Solution
« Reply #1711 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
Obama Says a New [Global] Tax Is 'The Most Elegant Way' to Stop Climate Change

Classic externality, "put a price on it."  "This is a classic market failure"
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/obama-says-new-tax-most-elegant-way-stop-climate-change
"If you open up an Econ 101 textbook, it will say the market's very good about determining prices and allocating capital towards its most productive use, except there's certain externalities, there's certain things that the market just doesn't count, it doesn't price, at least not on its own. Clean air is an example; clean water -- or the converse, dirty water, dirty air.  In this case, the carbons that are being sent up that, ah -- originally we didn't have the science to fully understand, we do now. And if that's the case, if you put a price on it, then the entire market would respond."

Meanwhile the attendees of the conference, unfamiliar with teleceonferencing and smartphone app 'Vidku', emitted 600,000,000 pounds of CO2 in the effort to dine with each other at various taxpayers expense. 
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/the-paris-talks-could-produce-300000-tons-of-co2-hope-theyre-worth-it/

Do people here agree with the President?

Is it a scientific fact that CO2 is a pollutant, that 400 CO2 parts per million atmosphere is "dirty air?

Is it an economic certainty that one half degree of warming and none over the last 19 years has an economic cost to it?

Do we know this tax will solve this 'problem'?  What is the history of the UN handling large amounts of money, has anyone ever heard of oil for food, IPCC, etc.?

http://www.cfr.org/iraq/iraq-oil-food-scandal/p7631
"...nearly half of the 4,500 participating companies of paying kickbacks and illegal surcharges to win lucrative contracts..."

If we are going to have global government, could we please have a global constitution limiting their power!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness: "Put on the brakes"
« Reply #1712 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:32 AM »
Pres. Obama talking about climate change in year 7 let slip the theme of his economy policy:

I'm optimistic," he said. "I think we're going to solve it. I think the issue is just going to be the pace and how much damage is done before we are able to fully apply the brakes."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/europe/france-paris-cop21-climate-change-conference/index.html

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 06, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Well at least he called it terrorism.  Even the Ft. Hood attack he called terrorism.   As far as I know that is a first - for him.

I don't know we are "giving in to fear".   How about we are "angry".

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/06/obama-lectures-america-islamic-state-not/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 07, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
"Well at least he called it terrorism.  Even the Ft. Hood attack he called terrorism."

Is the second "terrorism" what you mean to say?

"I don't know we are "giving in to fear".   How about we are "angry"."

I was riffing on the very same point last night.  I have a similar one about the Sheep Dog and the Sheep analogy.   

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 07, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
He said EVERY day for years he is reviewing intelligence.   You mean he lied????

Well the news media will get right on this!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DDF

Can you name any of the mass shooters that were on the "No FLy List"
« Reply #1719 on: December 11, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
[youtube]-Rn3IDgs_BY[/youtube]

"I'm not aware of any....BUT.....lol .

You get the country you deserve.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness- On the "Right Side of History" ??
« Reply #1722 on: December 18, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »
Pres. Obama after the San Bernardino terrorist massacre:  “I am confident we will succeed in this mission because we are on the right side of history.”

“those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history.”

“at every juncture in the situation in Egypt, […] we were on the right side of history.” 

“Gaddafi is on the wrong side of history”

March 2014 the inhabitants of the Crimea and Ukraine were glad to learn from the President that “Russia is on the wrong side of history.”

History does not take sides.

Invoking History is a way of avoiding hard truths. It is a hollow phrase because it is supposed to soothe, not arouse, rally or inform. More importantly, it is simply not true. It presumes that the good guys win. Not always—just ask Rwandans, Cambodians, or surviving family members of Mao’s seventy million victims. Furthermore, the bad guys think the same thing, particularly Marxists, who shortly before their doctrines imploded were supremely confident that they knew in which direction History was marching. In 1956 Nikita Khrushchev famously said to Western ambassadors at a reception in Moscow, “Whether you like it or not, history is on our side.” What he said next, depending on which translation you prefer, was “We will bury you.” Less than 35 years later, the Soviet empire collapsed into ruin. It was a useful warning for lazy politicians: Believe too strongly that your country has a destiny guaranteed by History, and you may ensure that it doesn’t have much of a future. A public that hears the phrase has a right to be skeptical—and nervous.

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/12/07/history-doesnt-take-sides/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
more propaganda
« Reply #1723 on: December 20, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
Gotta love the phony poses Obama does when he is near Putin.  You know the looks of consternation or leaning in closely with stern facial expressions for the cameras.  Remember the liberal psychologists advising Bill Clinton to have that phony thing he did with his lower lip?

Here is Brock with the same phony lower lip thing:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/obama-visits-san-bernardino-families

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: more propaganda
« Reply #1724 on: December 20, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
Gotta love the phony poses Obama does when he is near Putin.  You know the looks of consternation or leaning in closely with stern facial expressions for the cameras.  Remember the liberal psychologists advising Bill Clinton to have that phony thing he did with his lower lip?
Here is Brock with the same phony lower lip thing:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/obama-visits-san-bernardino-families

I wonder what he paid the Clinton's for the right to use that.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: December 20, 2015, 08:10:48 PM »
He probably just told Hill that he will use it or she will go to jail.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DDF

Just for Fun
« Reply #1727 on: January 14, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
I don’t want to speculate who did this or their motive.

We have ISIL contained.

They didn’t mean “death to America” in the way you thought it meant.

I only heard about Hillary Clintons email account when I saw it on the news.

The Taliban is not a terrorist organization

I just heard about Gruber before I came to this press conference.

We have ebola under control.

Clapper gave me wrong Intel. It’s his fault.

I promised to end the war in Iraq and I did.

I never ordered the Taliban swap it was Hagel

Not even a smidgeon of corruption

I only found out about it when I saw it on the news.

We won’t negotiate with terrorists.

I will have the most transparent administration in history.

I have Shovel ready jobs.

The IRS is not targeting anyone.

Benghazi was about a movie.

If I had a son.

I will put an end to the type of politics that "breeds division, conflict and cynicism".

You didn't build that.

I will restore trust in Government.

The cops acted stupidly.

I am not after your guns.

The Public Will Have 5 Days To Look At Every Bill That Lands On My Desk.

It's not my red line it is the worlds red line.

Whistle blowers will be protected.

We got back every dime, that we used to rescue the banks, with interest.

I will close Gitmo.

I am not spying on American citizens.

ObamaCare will be good for America.

You can keep your family doctor.

Premiums will be lowered by $2500.

If you like your plan, you can keep it. Period.

We'll put it on C-Span.

57 states.

Your taxes will not go up unless you make more than 250K a year.

I will cut the deficit in half in 3 1/2 years or this will be a one term proposition.

The recession is over.

I'm not an ideologue.

We will get to the bottom of this.

I will not sign the NDAA bill.

Reverend Wright

Bill Ayers

No lobbyists in my administration.

I'll go through the budget line by line.

Fast And Furious.

I've never met the uncle I used to live with.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, pledge to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America."

:mrgreen: puff, puff, pass.....

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jews rest assured: Brock HAS GOT our backs
« Reply #1729 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Since most people on this board probably read Breitbart like me, you've all seen this, but this is just too funny to pass up posting.  This is one of those "she had sex with me, I did not have sex with her" moments:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/27/obama-ignores-iran-in-speech-on-antisemitism/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Jews rest assured: Brock HAS GOT our backs
« Reply #1730 on: January 28, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
Since most people on this board probably read Breitbart like me, you've all seen this, but this is just too funny to pass up posting.  This is one of those "she had sex with me, I did not have sex with her" moments:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/27/obama-ignores-iran-in-speech-on-antisemitism/
ff

Useful idiots need the occasional pat on the head. That is all this was.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
June 3, 2008, St. Paul MN, the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow
« Reply #1732 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
On the bank of the Mississippi River, President-to-be Glibness declared this “as the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow, and our planet began to heal.”

No mention of that declaration in today's NY Times on the record rise in sea levels.

Is it possible that the huge efforts to redistribute wealth resulted in greater income inequality while the most EPA rules in history including the regulation of CO2 as a "pollutant" killed off economic growth while the seas rose even faster?

Yes.

Wouldn't it be great if liberals were right and we could just pass a law or give a speech to end things like mass murder, war and climate change?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/02/a-false-messiah-part-dii.php
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/science/sea-level-rise-global-warming-climate-change.html?_r=1

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Well, he would just say he was blocked from instituting Cap & Trade, surrendering US sovereignty to the UN etc.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
How Biden killed John Roberts’s nomination in 1992 (to the DC Court of Appeals)

By Marc A. Thiessen  February 25, 2016,  Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-biden-killed-john-robertss-nomination-in-92/2016/02/25/c17841be-dbdf-11e5-81ae-7491b9b9e7df_story.html?postshare=3631456434039221&tid=ss_fb

In 1992, then-Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Joe Biden launched a preemptive attack on any nominee President George H.W. Bush named to the Supreme Court, warning that if Bush tapped someone, Biden’s committee “should seriously consider not scheduling confirmation hearings on the nomination . . . until after the political campaign season is over.”

While Biden did not get the chance to kill a Supreme Court nomination that year, he did kill the nomination of a future chief justice of the Supreme Court — John G. Roberts Jr.

On Jan. 27, 1992, President Bush nominated Roberts to serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Roberts was immensely qualified for the job. He had served since 1989 as principal deputy solicitor general of the United States, arguing 39 cases before the Supreme Court, making him one of the country’s most experienced Supreme Court litigators.

But his nomination to the federal bench was dead on arrival at Biden’s Senate Judiciary Committee. Biden refused to even hold a hearing on Roberts’s nomination, much less a vote in committee or on the Senate floor. Roberts’s nomination died in committee and was withdrawn on Oct. 8, 1992. It was only about a decade later that he was re-nominated to the federal bench by President George W. Bush — and we all know the rest of the story.

Roberts was not alone in being denied a hearing or a vote by Biden. According to a report by the Congressional Research Service (CRS), in 1992 Biden killed the nominations of 32 Bush appointees to the federal bench without giving them so much as a hearing. And that does not count an additional 20 nominations for the federal bench where Biden did not hold hearings that year, which CRS excluded from its count because they reached the Senate “within approximately [four] months before it adjourned.”

So none were cases in which time simply ran out. There was plenty of time to consider the nominations. But Biden refused. Why? According to an article in Texas Lawyer magazine, cited in the CRS report, some of the “nominees reportedly fell victim to presidential election year politics, as Democrats hoped to preserve vacancies in expectation that their presidential candidate would win election.”

That’s not all. In 1988, then-Chairman Biden also killed the nominations of nine candidates for the federal bench appointed by President Ronald Reagan without so much as a hearing. The New York Times reported at the time that “Democrats were determined to bury” some of the nominations because, as one liberal lobbyist told the paper, “the appellate seats were too precious to for us to give up” in a presidential election year.

Biden’s defenders claim that he made his 1992 remarks about killing a Supreme Court nominee in June of an election year, not February. But some of the nominees Biden killed that election year had been nominated as early as January 1991 — 17 months before the presidential election. And some of the nominees he killed in 1998 had been nominated as early as February 1987 — 16 months before voters went to the polls to choose a new president.

Biden’s record of election-year judicial obstruction came to light in 1997, when he tried to force then-Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Jesse Helms to hold a hearing on the nomination of Massachusetts Gov. William Weld to be U.S. ambassador to Mexico (I was on Helms’s committee staff at the time). When Helms declared Weld’s nomination dead on arrival, Biden and other committee members forced Helms to convene a committee meeting, which they hoped would take up Weld’s nomination. Instead, Helms turned the meeting into a lecture on the “History of Presidential Nominees Not Receiving Confirmation Hearings.” He presented 10 pages of charts prepared by CRS detailing 154 presidential nominations during the previous decade that had been killed without a hearing — including dozens of judicial nominations that Biden had killed.

When challenged by Helms on his record, Biden explained that the nominees in his case were different than Weld’s, because they were nominated in an election year. “When I was chairman of the Judiciary Committee,” he admitted to Helms, “there were a number of judges who were left at the gate who did not in an election year get through.”

His point was that this was normal Senate practice — and he is right. Both parties have a history of killing judicial nominations without a hearing in an election year, particularly in cases where the nomination would shift the balance of the court. The CRS report notes that in 1995 and 1996, when Republicans controlled the Senate, they killed 14 of President Bill Clinton’s nominees to the federal bench without a hearing.

The bottom line is that what Republicans are doing today is far from unprecedented. To the contrary, it is the norm. There is a graveyard filled with judicial appointments killed without a hearing by both Republicans and Democrats in an election year.

Just ask John Roberts.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Baraq and Che
« Reply #1735 on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:53:37 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
finally came right out and said it
« Reply #1736 on: March 25, 2016, 07:09:15 AM »
Now that his 8 yrs are almost up he finally says that he didn't really believe in American' exceptionalism all along.  It was obvious to us.  But now he just says it out loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BadFTesAPzY
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:48:06 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: finally came right out and said it
« Reply #1737 on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:35 AM »
Now that his 8 yrs are almost up he finally says that he didn't really believe in American' exceptionalism all along.  It was obvious to us.  But now he just says it out loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BadFTesAPzY

Proves us right but quite embarrassing for the country.  Argentina has figured this out faster than the Americans.

Does Pres. Dumbsh*t have some examples to offer of where socialism and communism lifted civilizations out of poverty to match what freedom and free enterprise have done??

It is still necessary to challenge this President and his record, label it for what it is, failure, and drive his numbers down.  Even though he isn't running again, his record is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:52:20 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
As I have previously mentioned previously, I feel rather strongly that Infowars is a scurrilous site with occasional validity but on the whole it is not something I wish to see here.  Therefore I have taken the liberty of editing the two previous entries to substitute the youtube URL of Obama which the infowars page is quoting.

Thus the actual point remains unchanged, but infowars does not get included here nor does it get clicks via this page.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 25, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
"Does Pres. Dumbsh*t have some examples to offer of where socialism and communism lifted civilizations out of poverty to match what freedom and free enterprise have done??"

He is obviously very fond of Cuba.  I notice all the big shot celebrities are tripping all over themselves to go there now.  Must be a great conversation topic at all the parties for the rich, famous  and beautiful.

So what was it like in your trip to Cuba?  How is it there?  Oh I'll tell you all about it.... blah blah blah

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cognitive Dissonance of His Glibness to appear on Fox News Sunday
« Reply #1742 on: April 07, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/06/obama-to-sit-down-for-exclusive-fox-news-sunday-interview.html

What would we want to ask him if we had a limited amount of time to do so?

The President's agenda for the interview, they say, is to push his Supreme Court nominee - and expose Republicans for not doing their constitutional duty, advice and consent, which has come to mean to hold hearings and take an up or down vote.  How would we want that point answered?
----------------------------------

If it were me...

1) This is the slowest recovery in history coming out of one of the worst recessions in history.  Why?

2) In the early years of the administration, the economy was George Bush's fault, agreed, but what he did wrong causing the crash was to continue the policy of Democrats, funding GSEs and pushing banks to make bad loans.  Agreed?

3) Any regrets over the complete abandonment of Iraq for political reasons after the peace was won at such a great cost and your role in fostering the rise of ISIS?

4) Were any laws broken during Fast and Furious?  What department should investigate and prosecute the Department of Justice?

5) Was the IRS targeting scandal, shutting down all conservative groups and helping you get reelected, really any worse than anything Richard Nixon did?

6) Any regrets over saying you can keep your plan, keep your doctor, and save 2500 a year to enact a nearly impossible to repeal federal program that already has done exactly the opposite?

7) At what point were you aware that Hillary Clinton was sending and reeiving classified emails over her unsecure private server?  At what point were you aware that she was working through her husband to trade State Department favors for Foundation dollars.  

8 ) In ranking the results of different economic systems in terms of how the people benefited who lived under them in the course of human history, is it really communism, capitalism, whatever?

9) Is a world with the USA unilaterally disarmed safer than America having nuclear arms and a strong defense?

10) Can you name 5 to 10 reasons why the American people gave you a no confidence vote in 2010, again in 2014, why there has been a bigger shift from Democratic to Republican elected officials across the nation, up and down the ballot, under your terms, than at any other time in history, and perhaps from that why the US Senate is now giving you a no confidence vote on your Supreme Court pick?

11) Did the oceans' rise begin to fade and did the planet begin to heal under your watch?

12) Is Islam really the religion of peace?

13) Can you think of a way we could make more people around the world US citizens and eligible to vote Democrat here in abstentia, saving them the hassle of having to cross our porous, unattended border to do that?
-----------------------------------------------

Posted previously, Iowahawk took a shot at this back in 2011:

An $8 billion high speed [federally funded] train leaves Chicago for Iowa City at 8:15am at 40mph. Why?

What's the biggest hardship you've ever dealt with in your life?  Have you ever had a menial job, changed your own oil, or fixed a toilet?

I let my Mexican drug lord license expire. Am I still eligible for the free machine gun program?

Are you smart enough to create a problem so big that even you could not solve it?

Why isn't your cabinet unionized?

Is there any job you'd be better at than president?

I understand you finally quit smoking. Do they make a patch for spending addicts too?  Is this question racist?

Are you in favor of gay marriage for Libyan bombing crews on Boeing planes made in South Carolina?

Would you get tougher with Iran if you knew they were working with Scott Walker?  [or Trump or Cruz?]

When your economic advisors hold policy meetings, do they stuff a towel at the bottom of the door?

If we reneg on the debt, where's the best place to hide our stuff from the repo men?

I just voted to increase my sobriety ceiling. Why won't the bartender give me another drink?

When you create jobs, why do always create them for Texas?

If Eric Holder gets indicted in Operation Fast & Furious, should he get a civilian trial?
http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2011/07/questions-so-many-questions.html
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:12:15 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Great role models
« Reply #1743 on: April 19, 2016, 04:31:01 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Thank God for Europeans
« Reply #1744 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
I read this and think who do we have to thank for all this progress.  It is white people of European descent.  Everyone else in the world is benefitting from or copying it.  No credit cited. 

****Obama Hails ‘Most Progressive Era in Human History’

President Barack Obama gives opening remarks at the Hannover Messe industrial trade fair on April 25, 2016 in Hanover, Germany.Adam Berry/Getty Images
by CHARLIE SPIERING25 Apr 2016358
President Barack Obama is again hailing the state of the planet under his administration, as he prepares to hand the White House to his presidential successor in January 2017.

“We are fortunate to be living in the most peaceful, most prosperous, most progressive era in human history,” Obama boasted during a speech in Germany today.

He admitted that his observation was counter to the media narrative that highlighted bad news in the world, but continued to take the long view of his place in human history.

“If you had to choose a moment in time to be born, any time in human history, and you didn’t know ahead of time what nationality you were or what gender or what your economic status might be, you’d choose today,” he said confidently.

He cited the growth of democratic government, wealth, health and education around the globe combined with a “global economy” that lifted more people out of poverty. He also cited a more “tolerant” planet of different races and sexual preferences.

“Around the world, we’re more tolerant — with more opportunity for women, and gays and lesbians, as we push back on bigotry and prejudice,” he said.

He admitted that there continues to be suffering in the world, citing economic inequality, slow economic growth, and fears of terrorism.

Obama warned against divisive political rhetoric of politicians in Europe trying to exploit global fears to create an “us vs. them mentality” between Muslims and immigrants.

“If a unified, peaceful, liberal, pluralistic, free-market Europe begins to doubt itself, begins to question the progress that’s been made over the last several decades, then we can’t expect the progress that is just now taking hold in many places around the world will continue,” he said.****

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God for Europeans, rooster taking credit for the sunrise
« Reply #1745 on: April 25, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
“We are fortunate to be living in the most peaceful, most prosperous, most progressive era in human history,” Obama boasted during a speech in Germany today.

Good grief.  He did everything he knew how to do to screw that up.  What a d*ckhead.  What brought the prosperity?  Free markets, free economies.  What brought the peace?  Peace through strength.  Taking on and defeating evil.  What direction is he taking us - the polar opposite.  Compare "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall" with being our bower in chief unable to even name, much less call out the enemy for 8 lousy years.

Europe didn't get strong by allowing an invasion of a hostile, non assimilating population.  Nor is that what e Pluribus Unum here means, nor did we want the name to be divided states of America.

We went through this with Clinton.  They squandered the "peace dividend" handed to them, gutted our intelligence services, allowed threats to grow, and then ripped the next Republican President for getting the intelligence wrong on the ground in Iraq. 

As G M has noted and as we had with Paul Volcker and the aftermath of Jimmy Carter, this house of cards is going to fall and they are all set to blame whoever is next.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
EVERY single appointee
« Reply #1746 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: EVERY single appointee
« Reply #1747 on: April 27, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 10, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
Of course.  Continue to his last second in office doing EVERYTHING he can to make America look bad.  He will temper it but in his usual veiled, lecturing way disrespect our nation overseas again.  But this is expected when we have as our S of St and President two people who do not believe in country let alone our country.  So amazing that people would vote for people who do not even like the country they are to represent.  Amazing what bribes can do:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/10/confirmed-obama-will-visit-hiroshima-visit-japan/