Author Topic: 2016 Presidential  (Read 433714 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Presidential
« Reply #1150 on: March 28, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Not familiar with the projected electoral college numbers for Cruz, but the polls I currently see have him beating the EDC by about 3, Kasich beating her by 11 and Drumpf losing by 11 (working from memory here on Kasich and Drumpf).

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »
"Not familiar with the projected electoral college numbers for Cruz..."

That was just my own, off the cuff estimate.  Most believe she wins the electoral college at a popular vote tie, so the electoral win is significant at 3 points of margin.

"RCP Average   3/16 - 3/22   --   --   46.7   43.8   Clinton +2.9
FOX News   3/20 - 3/22   1016 RV   3.0   44   47   Cruz +3
Bloomberg   3/19 - 3/22   815 LV   3.4   51   42   Clinton +9
Quinnipiac   3/16 - 3/21   1451 RV   2.6   45   42   Clinton +3
CBS News/NY Times   3/17 - 3/20   1058 RV   4.0   47   44   Clinton +3

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Team Rubio asks Minnesota GOP not to 'release' delegates — yet.
http://www.startribune.com/team-rubio-asks-mn-gop-to-not-release-delegates-yet/374012961/

A fight is looming in Cleveland.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Morris: Cruz victory possible
« Reply #1156 on: March 30, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
Cruz Victory Possible
By DICK MORRIS
Published on TheHill.com on March 29, 2016
Donald Trump is most likely to win the GOP presidential nomination. But Ted Cruz definitely has a path to victory if he can win key contests.

Trump's current delegate lead over Cruz and John Kasich (Trump has 736 delegates, Cruz 463 and Kasich 143, according to The Associated Press) is more apparent than real. At some point, Marco Rubio is likely to endorse Cruz and release his 171 delegates. Since the Rubio campaign was conceived in the womb of the establishment's anti-Trump initiative, his delegates are likely to go to the Texan en masse, giving Cruz 634 delegates, only 102 behind Trump.

If Cruz wins Wisconsin, he will take most of its 42 GOP votes. And if, on April 9, he prevails in the Colorado delegate selection caucus -- there will be no presidential primary or caucus in that state this year -- he will get the bulk of the state's 37 delegates. That should cut Trump's lead substantially -- perhaps to 70 or so.

A Wisconsin win by Cruz, which would be the Texan's first victory in a major Northeastern industrial state, would show that as Trump's popularity among women declines, Cruz is in a position to pick up important victories.

The senator can expect to lose the April 19 race in New York (for 95 delegates), the next state in line, but proportional rules may allow Cruz and Kasich to win a third of the delegates.

After New York, Cruz will be competitive and get his share of the delegates in most of the remaining states: Connecticut (28), Maryland (38), Rhode Island (19), Indiana (57) and New Mexico (24). He will likely pick up Nebraska's 36 delegates and Montana's 27 in their winner-take-all format, but may lose New Jersey's 51 and Delaware's 16 winner-take-all delegates.

Then comes California, with 172 delegates to be allocated proportionately under rules where the winner gets the vast bulk of the seats.

The latest poll, by the Los Angeles Times, shows Trump only 1 point ahead of Cruz in California, 36 percent to 35 percent (Kasich takes 14 percent). That means in March, the billionaire's lead has dwindled from 11 to 5 to 1. Cruz is catching up fast. If he can keep growing, he will win a large share of the state's delegates.

At the convention, Pennsylvania and North Dakota could make the difference. While the GOP binds its superdelegates, unlike the Democrats, to vote proportionately as their state has voted, the delegates from Pennsylvania (71) and North Dakota (28) are free to vote as they wish.

In all, it appears unlikely that Trump will win a first ballot majority. With Rubio's support, Cruz will may well come within a 100 votes of Trump, setting up a second ballot.

At that point Cruz could have an ace in the hole, since he has moved in skillfully behind the primaries that have already been held to get as many second ballot delegates as possible. In many states, like South Carolina, delegates are not selected in the primaries but at subsequent caucuses. If Cruz can fill the seats with delegates favorable to him, they can switch on the second ballot, having satisfied their legal obligations by backing Trump on the first ballot.

At some point, Kasich must realize he has no hope. The fundamental fact is that most Cruz delegates, if released, would probably go to Trump rather than to Kasich, and most Trump delegates would back the Texas senator rather than the Ohio governor. The basic establishment/anti-establishment fault line still has Trump and Cruz on one side and Kasich on the other.

So Cruz may be in good shape to win on the second ballot. If, that is, he can win in Wisconsin and repeat his victories in other Northeastern states.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Cruz goes after the Empress Dowager on Benghazi on Erin Burnett
« Reply #1157 on: March 31, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
A bit out of date but shows Cruz's ability to handle disruptive questions and stay on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81yahgUJBSw
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:28:58 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Morris: Cruz victory possible, Chaos in Cleveland
« Reply #1158 on: March 31, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Good analysis - except for the part where he calls Wisconsin a northeastern state. (?)
---------------------------------------------------------

Cruz is saying we can't change the rules, but setting the rules for the convention is what they always do coming into a convention.

"Rule 40" was written and passed by Romney's people to keep Ron Paul off the ballot in 2012.  You have to receive 50% or more of the vote in 8 states won to be on the ballot.  That is not a very reasonable criteria for state contests that had 17 candidates competing.  Not reasonable, that is, unless if it favors your candidate.

Some states release their delegates after the 1st ballot.  Others release their delegates from their state's vote after the 3rd ballot.  One area where the RNC needs to get ahead of the game is to set scheduled times for balloting.  Republicans might still be fighting and mudslinging instead of having speeches aimed at the general election on prime time.

The 1237 majority of possible delegates threshold does not go down if the convention drags on and delegates have left the floor or the building.  Are they going to set up porta-potties in the delegations? The delegate and the alternate who could step in might very well not be supporting the same candidate.   Delegates may need food and drink tasters...  The seating of alternates is a political matter in a contested convention.

The thought now is that Trump falls just short on the first ballot, and his count goes down each ballot after that.  What if the Cruz total goes down too and the convention is more divided than expected?  Can a rule change be proposed and enacted from the floor in between ballots?

One oddity of a contested convention is that multiple candidates will be vetting and announcing their VP selections to attempt to gain advantage and momentum.  (See Reagan-Schweiker, 1976.) That could mean there are 4 to 8 or more actual candidates roaming the floor, wooing delegates, looking for cameras.

We have never had a realtime contest like this in the age of twitter, vidku, etc.  Besides information traveling fast, so does dis-information.  False stories, cell phone and email hacking, and cell signal overload all possible in an arena of 20k with everyone scrambling for communications.

The Copper Clapper Caper involving Claude Cooper from Cleveland might have been easier to follow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjquGpmgwOo

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 31, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
The GOPe will torpedo both Trump and Cruz. The convention will be more rigged than a North Korean election.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 31, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
The GOPe will torpedo both Trump and Cruz. The convention will be more rigged than a North Korean election.

They can game the rules, but they can't really control how the delegates vote.

I believe that if Trump doesn't clinch it, the nomination moves to Cruz.  The only others with delegates are Kasich and Rubio.  Kasich moved to the moderate wing, has no support from conservatives who started with Trump or Cruz.  Rubio must know he is jinxed if he wins this without earning it.  He has enough political trouble already, losing his Presidential run, giving up his Senate seat,  By losing Florida to Trump he lost the enthusiasm for a gubernatorial run.  He won't be Trump's VP pick and it's hard to see how he is Cruz' best choice, being a nearly identical demographic - and didn't carry Florida.  I don't think you go further down the chain than Kasich or Rubio.  Not Romney, not Ryan, not Jeb.  Not the people that are already surrogates of someone else, Christy, Jindal, Fiorina, Walker, Graham.  Not Boehner, not Mitch McConnell, not McCain,  I could go on.  None has any better claim than Cruz to say they could or should be the nominee if the anti-Trump vote is bigger than Trump.

Cruz is better off winning this in an open format than by limiting the choices.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 03, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Strangely it is the (non-existent?) Republican Party of California in June that will determine what the Presidential ballot will look like for the nation in 2016.  If Trump can't clinch, someone else eventually will.

Trump is 500 delegates short of the 1237 needed right now, with 848 remaining.  He could lose Wisconsin, win NY and some other states and get within the 172 Calif. delegate reach by June 7.  

California for the most part is 53 separate, congressional district elections, very difficult to sweep if votes tend to go with regions or demographics.

Primary Calendar    G.O.P. delegates   
Delegates Remaining   848   
APRIL 5   Wisconsin   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-MOST  42   
APRIL 8   Colorado Republican Conventions  37
APRIL 19   New York   95   
APRIL 26   Connecticut   28   
Delaware   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-ALL   16   
Maryland   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-MOST   38   
Pennsylvania   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-MOST   71   
Rhode Island      19   
MAY 3   Indiana   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-MOST  57
MAY 10   Nebraska Republican Primary  G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-ALL  36   
West Virginia   34   
Oregon   28   
MAY 24   Washington State Republican Primary  44   
JUNE 7   California   172   
Montana   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-ALL   27
New Jersey   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-ALL   51
New Mexico      24   
South Dakota   G.O.P. WINNER-TAKE-ALL   29  JUNE 14   
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/primary-calendar-and-results.html?_r=0
--------------------------------------------------------------

After all the Kasich hoopla, I notice that Marco Rubio is still in third place in the delegate count.  Depending on rules not yet set, if Trump cannot win on the first or second ballot and if Cruz cannot win on the 3rd or 4th ballot, and if they start taking more names into nomination, I would look for Kasich and Rubio to re-enter the contest, not Romney or Ryan or a "fresh face".  What happens after that is all legitimate if it follows the agreed rules of the process.  

In a contested convention, it becomes a game of momentum.  Let's say Trump is a  delegate or 2 short on the first ballot and 3 or 4 delegates short on the second ballot.  He will only go down from there.  Same will be true for Cruz after delegates are gradually released.  If he is rising while Trump is falling but peaks short of 1237, once his momentum stops, he is done.

My current prediction is Cruz on the third ballot.  Failing that, Rubio on the 27th ballot.  Then, as Priebus pointed out, it is the delegates who decide the VP choice, not the Presidential nominee.

Take the advice of the exciting governor of Ohio, better get your seat belt on...

Meanwhile, on the Dem side, frontrunner Hillary Clinton has a close race going with FBI Director James Comey.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:21:59 PM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 04, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
second post

By Reid J. Epstein
Updated April 4, 2016 11:18 a.m. ET
376 COMMENTS

WEST ALLIS, Wis.—With a potential loss looming in Wisconsin’s Tuesday primary, Donald Trump’s path to clinching the Republican presidential nomination ahead of July convention is increasingly narrow.

Making the climb to the 1,237 delegates required to clinch the GOP nomination tougher for the front-runner are states where the local GOP doesn’t bind delegates to candidates: Delegates from North Dakota, Colorado and Wyoming aren’t required to back a specific candidate, nor are 54 of Pennsylvania’s 71 delegates. Heading into the Wisconsin vote, Mr. Trump must win two-thirds of the remaining bound delegates in other states to clinch the GOP presidential nomination on the convention’s first ballot, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis.

Regardless of the results Tuesday in Wisconsin, Mr. Trump can’t clinch the GOP nomination before June 7, when California and four other states complete the party’s nominating calendar.

Mr. Trump’s steep path to 1,237 delegates drastically increases the likelihood of a contested Republican National Convention in July.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
a lot of behind the scenes jockeying.
« Reply #1166 on: April 05, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
I don't know what to think.  On one hand I am not happy with establishment Ryan but I cannot see how Trump could win a general election. (He is our of favor with me.  It is 100% clear he lacks the impulse control to be President.)   And I just do not seeing Cruz winning either:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/charles-koch-paul-ryan-nomination_us_57029099e4b083f5c6082b95

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: a lot of behind the scenes jockeying. Ryan, Presidential, Rule 40b
« Reply #1167 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »
I don't know what to think.  On one hand I am not happy with establishment Ryan but I cannot see how Trump could win a general election. (He is our of favor with me.  It is 100% clear he lacks the impulse control to be President.)   And I just do not seeing Cruz winning either:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/charles-koch-paul-ryan-nomination_us_57029099e4b083f5c6082b95

One problem with Paul Ryan for President is that it puts the Republican House back in disarray.  Other than that he didn't run for President or win a delegate, I think he would be a fine President.  I don't see how he would have fared any better in the primaries than Rubio.  Strong on most issues, no executive experience, favored comprehensive immigration reform.  He already has a chance to make a place in history by taking over as Speaker of the House at 45.  

I was really hoping to never have to know the exact wording of RNC Rule 40b, just like I hate the tax code, but here goes...

Rule 40b

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight (8 ) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination. Notwithstanding any other provisions of these rules or any rule of the House of Representatives, to demonstrate the support required of this paragraph a certificate evidencing the affirmative written support of the required number of permanently seated delegates from each of the eight (8) or more states shall have been submitted to the secretary of the convention not later than one (1) hour prior to the placing of the names of candidates for nomination pursuant to this rule and the established order of business.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/prod-static-ngop-[/b]pbl/docs/Rules_of_the_Republican+Party_FINAL_S14090314.pdf

In other words, if they keep this rule in the age of twitter and private and group messenging, anyone can place anyone in nomination at any time just by submitting a petition from a majority of delegates in 8 states to the convention secretary, an hour before the next ballot.  That kind of organization and support is way below what is necessary to win anyway.  A majority of delegates can vote that candidate down too.

Trump has won 37% of the votes cast so far and is likely to fall short of 1237 before the convention.  Just like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers, he is not deserving of the nomination - unless that is what a majority of the seated delegates want.  If the 1st place candidate can't reach the magic number in the first couple of ballots, the delegates logically turn to the second place candidate and we will see if he can clinch it on the 3rd or 4th ballot.  Let's say Cruz also fails to clinch it.  I don't see why the 3rd and 4th place finishers don't have the same claim at that point to try to reach a majority that Cruz had when Trump fell short.

If this drags on, the feeling in the hall is that if we fail to endorse, this is not a major national party and Hillary will essentially run unopposed.  Time and patience run down and attention will keep turning to who might win and make the deadlock end.  At one point, Rubio was everyone's second choice.  No one knows who that is now; people are guessing its Cruz.  The other scenarios only come into play if both Trump and Cruz fall short.

The RNC's responsibility is to make sure ballots start very early in the week (Saturday 8am?) and keep happening on scheduled intervals until done.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:27:11 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: The case for Kasich
« Reply #1168 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
ll of a sudden the two Republican presidential front-runners seem unnaturally preoccupied with the guy in third place, and they’re teaming up to demand that John Kasich drop out. Why not let the voters decide, as Donald Trump and Ted Cruz otherwise like to say?

“Every day John Kasich stays in the race benefits Donald Trump,” the Texan said late last month, and over the weekend his campaign put up attack ads on Wisconsin TV accusing the Ohio Governor of cronyism. The Badger State has also been carpet-bombed with Cruz mailers challenging Mr. Kasich’s mostly excellent economic and fiscal record.

Mr. Trump is even more offended by Mr. Kasich’s existence. “If I didn’t have Kasich, I automatically win,” he said at a Sunday rally. The businessman added to reporters in Milwaukee on Monday that Mr. Kasich “shouldn’t be allowed to continue, and the RNC [Republican National Committee] shouldn’t allow him to continue. . . . He doesn’t have to run and take my votes, because he’s taking my votes, and he’s not taking Ted Cruz’s votes, he’s taking my votes.”

Mr. Trump’s understanding of democracy is unusual—candidates don’t own voters, and the party committee doesn’t dictate nominees. But he and Mr. Cruz do share a self-interest in trying to drive Mr. Kasich to the sidelines.

Mr. Trump is the only candidate left with a limited mathematical path to the 1,237-delegate majority to win the nomination before the July convention, and if he loses in Wisconsin on Tuesday Mr. Trump must win about two-thirds of the remaining bound delegates in 17 states. Mr. Kasich has more political appeal than Mr. Cruz in the southern New England and mid-Atlantic states that are more suburban and moderate. If Mr. Trump can threaten his way to a two-man race, he could get to 1,237.

As for Mr. Cruz, he’d have to sweep nearly every remaining primary to get to 1,237. He also knows Mr. Kasich has a better chance than the Texan does of denying Mr. Trump delegates in states like Pennsylvania and Maryland that vote on April 26. But Mr. Cruz wants to drive Mr. Kasich out of the race before the convention even if it means running a greater risk that Mr. Trump can get closer to 1,237. Mr. Cruz wants Mr. Kasich out now because he figures the delegates in Cleveland will choose Mr. Cruz if the choice is down to him and Mr. Trump. But if Mr. Kasich is still an option, the delegates might favor him as a better November candidate.

Mr. Kasich defeats Hillary Clinton by 6.3 points in current head-to-head polls, according to the Real Clear Politics average. Mr. Cruz loses by 3.1 and Mr. Trump by 10.8. Changing these polls would require gut renovations of the Trump and Cruz public images that will be hard for either to execute.

Mr. Kasich did the public service of winning Ohio’s delegates—with which Mr. Trump might have locked up the nomination—and he deserves a chance to see if he can win Pennsylvania or pick up delegates in the East and California. He has no hope of reaching 1,237 delegates before the convention, but what Messrs. Trump and Cruz really fear is that the convention might want to nominate a potential winner.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ: The case for Kasich
« Reply #1169 on: April 05, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
Being a two term governor of a major state is a great credential, so is his service in congress.  But this isn't a resume election; it is a change of direction election according to the votes cast so far.

Kasich, Like Jeb, chose to run against the delegates and conservatism.  I don't know when John Kasich changed or why, but he isn't the same guy that stood by Newt in 1994.

This isn't a federal budget of 1998 and this isn't what we thought was the world threat level of 1990s either.  He hasn't shown an interest in getting up to speed (MHO) and he didn't run a national campaign.  

Ohio ranks 46th in median household income growth.  
http://www.usa.com/rank/us--median-household-income-growth-rate--state-rank.htm

Kasich lacks charisma and the ability to attract voters outside of Ohio.

Big government conservative is an oxymoron.  Kasich doesn't express any regrets for embracing it.

Son of a mailman, Kasich made $1.1 million in 2008 working for Lehman Brothers...
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/ohiopolitics/entries/2010/04/02/kasich_made_11_m_in_2008_no_go.html/

What percent of those polled so far know that?  What percent will know that on election day?

Yes, he should be considered if Trump and Cruz fail.  No, he isn't the best choice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:35:31 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Taranto: Cruz likely
« Reply #1170 on: April 06, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »

By James Taranto
April 6, 2016 1:45 p.m. ET
433 COMMENTS

“[Donald] Trump’s second-place finish to Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.) in Tuesday’s Wisconsin Republican primary may represent no ordinary setback,” write the Washington Post’s Karen Tumulty, Jose A. DelReal and Robert Costa. “It appears to be a pivot point—although it has yet to be seen whether the trajectory from here points downward or upward.”

That is an absolutely rock-solid analysis. The likelihood that it will be proved mistaken is zero, maybe less. As the Weekly Standard’s Mark Hemingway observes, it illustrates “why national political reporters are so indispensable.” Our column is a solo effort, so if our work shines a bit less brightly than that of the Postly Trio, please show a little forbearance.

Anyway, Cruz did win big in the Badger State, topping Trump by 13% of the total vote, better than his margin in any poll. The Real Clear Politics average had Texas’ junior senator up by just 4.7%, though that was skewed by a late outlying poll in which Trump led by 10%. Asked the name of the firm that came up with that result, its head replied: “Argh!”

Even more intense frustration was voiced by the Trump campaign, which put out a statement accusing “Lyin’ Ted Cruz” of illegally coordinating with the super PAC backing him, and added: “Ted Cruz is worse than a puppet—he is a Trojan horse.” The statement promised victory in New York and wrapped up by claiming: “Mr. Trump is the only candidate who can secure the delegates needed to win the Republican nomination and ultimately defeat Hillary Clinton, or whomever [sic] is the Democratic nominee.”

That last statement is factually if not grammatically correct—though it’s carefully hedged. In Wisconsin Cruz picked up 36 delegates to Trump’s six, putting Trump’s overall lead (again, as per RCP) at 743-517, with 171 for Marco Rubio and 143 for John Kasich. A majority is 1,237, and it is increasingly unlikely anyone will reach that threshold before the primaries end in June.

David Wasserman of FiveThirtyEight.com writes that Trump needs 58% of remaining delegates; by our calculations that means Cruz would need 85%. Wasserman observes this gives Trump (in contrast, we’d add, with Cruz) “a realistic path to a delegate majority.” So as a practical matter, Trump is indeed the only candidate who can secure a majority.

That doesn’t mean he’s likely to do so, and it doesn’t mean he’s the only candidate who can win a majority. This column is increasingly of the view that Cruz is the likeliest nominee, notwithstanding Trump’s delegate lead.

Andrew Prokop of the young-adult site Vox maps the road ahead for Trump:

He’d need wins (sometimes big wins) in Northeastern states like New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, and New Jersey. But even those victories wouldn’t be enough. He’d likely have to win the Indiana primary on May 3 too, and pick up a good share of delegates in proportional states like Oregon, Washington, and New Mexico.

Most importantly of all, there’s the biggest delegate prize—California, which votes on June 7 and will send 172 delegates to the convention. Since the vast majority of the state’s delegates are allotted winner-take-all in its 53 congressional districts (three per district), Trump would likely need to win consistently across this very diverse state to put him over the top.

All that is doable. But it’s difficult, and there’s little room for error. It is very plausible that Trump will end up falling short of the 1,237 delegates he needs—perhaps even quite a bit short.

As we write, ElectionBettingOdds.com puts the likelihood (based on bookmakers’ odds) of a “brokered convention”—i.e., of Trump’s coming up short—at 66.4%, or just under 2 in 3. The likelihood of Trump’s winning the nomination is 50.1%. Subtract the latter percentage from the former, and the betting markets reckon there’s 1 in 6 or better chance of Trump’s winning a brokered convention.

We’re with FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver in thinking that makes little sense:

If Trump doesn’t win on the first ballot, he’s probably [at an impossible disadvantage]. The basic reason is simple. Most of the 2,472 delegates with a vote in Cleveland probably aren’t going to like Trump. . . .

In most states, the process to select . . . delegates is separate from presidential balloting. In Massachusetts, for instance, Trump won 49 percent of the GOP vote on March 1—his highest share in any state to date—to earn 22 of the state’s 42 delegates. But the people who will serve as delegates haven’t been chosen yet. That will happen at a series of congressional district conventions later this month and then a Republican state meeting in May or June. According to Politico, most of those delegates are liable to favor Ted Cruz or John Kasich rather than Trump. Twenty-two of them will still be bound to Trump on the first ballot, but they can switch after that. The same story holds in a lot of other states: in Georgia, Louisiana and South Carolina, for instance—also states that Trump won.

Trump’s delegate problems stem from two major issues. One is his lack of organization: Trump just recently hired a strategist to oversee his delegate-selection efforts; Cruz has been working on the process for months. The other is his lack of support from “party elites.” The people who attend state caucuses and conventions are mostly dyed-in-the-wool Republican regulars and insiders, a group that is vigorously opposed to Trump. Furthermore, some delegate slots are automatically given to party leaders and elected officials, another group that strongly opposes Trump, as evident in his lack of endorsements among them.

While it’s possible Kasich or another candidate could emerge victorious on a second or later ballot, Cruz would be at a decided advantage by virtue of having both won multiple primaries and worked the delegate-selection process assiduously.

The Trump camp’s answer to the prospect of losing at a contested convention has been bluster about violence and intimidation. Trump himself last month spoke of “riots” if he was denied the nomination, though he later equivocated. Now Politico reports Trump trickster Roger Stone “is threatening to make public the hotel room numbers of Republican National Convention delegates who switch from Trump to another candidate”:

“We’re going to have protests, demonstrations. We will disclose the hotels and the room numbers of those delegates who are directly involved in the steal,” Stone said Monday in a discussion with Stefan Molyneux on Freedomain Radio, as he alleged that Trump’s opponents planned to deny the democratic will of Republican primary voters.

“If you’re from Pennsylvania, we’ll tell you who the culprits are. We urge you to visit their hotel and find them. You have a right to discuss this, if you voted in the Pennsylvania primary, for example, and your votes are being disallowed,” Stone said.

Most Pennsylvania delegates, incidentally, arrive at the convention unbound. At any rate, this sounds like an empty threat, and one that would likely backfire even if carried out.

The last time he faced the prospect of venturing into hostile territory—when his rally in Chicago was overrun by left-wing disruptors—he ended up bugging out. If he fails to secure a majority of delegates, perhaps rather than endure defeat in Cleveland he will find a way to withdraw ungraciously before the convention.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
Seems like New Yorkers , being NYers, are giving Cruz the proverbial finger for his comments about "NY values" in one of the debates.

Trump is way ahead and Kasich is second.

NY like California is a pain in the ass.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newt comments
« Reply #1174 on: April 06, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
third post

Cruz, Sanders, and the Road After Wisconsin
Originally published at the Washington Times

Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders both had very big wins on Tuesday in Wisconsin.

Cruz had the bigger victory. He won more delegates and, in a three-way race, by as big a margin as Sanders did in a two-way race.
The campaign season is weakening the frontrunners in both parties at a time when the favorites should be consolidating their support.

A large number of Republicans say they would not vote for Trump.

A large number of Sanders supporters say they would not vote for Clinton.

The Wisconsin victory will help both insurgents, Cruz and Sanders, raise more money.

In Sanders’s case, he is already out-raising Clinton and this victory will translate into even more online donors sending even more money. The internet is allowing non-establishment candidates to gather resources even if the major donors refuse to help them. Without the stream of $27 donations pouring in over the internet, Sanders could never have sustained his effort to defeat Clinton.

Wisconsin fatally undermined John Kasich as the alternative to Cruz to stop Trump. Kasich did not win a single delegate in an upper-midwest state which should have been tailor made for the Governor of Ohio.

The news media will increasingly ignore Kasich. His donors will dry up. He can stubbornly continue the fight (as I did for a good while in 2012), but he can't fight his way back into contention.

Cruz and Trump each face big challenges.

Cruz has a great technical campaign with solid professionals who have been building grassroots operations in every state. He is winning the guerrilla war to elect delegates pledged to Trump but loyal to Cruz for all procedural fights and for any votes after the first ballot at the convention.

If Trump can't win decisively before Cleveland, it is likely that Cruz will become the nominee on the second or third ballot.

Trump has to confront the crisis of what has up to now been a remarkable campaign. Reagan faced a similar crisis after he lost Iowa to Bush in 1980. There was a profound shakeup in the campaign as Nancy insisted that they needed a bigger, better team. Without that change, Reagan would not have won the nomination.

Trump's style has made him the frontrunner. It will now stop him from becoming the nominee if he is not able to grow and expand on his achievement.
Trump's very frugal focus on rallies, social media and television have carried him far. But they have also left him unprepared for the much more complex battle at the delegate level.

The New York primary will be an important test for both Trump and Cruz.

Trump has to win a big enough victory to clearly establish a path to 1,237 delegates. That means sweeping or almost sweeping New York.
Trump also has to move toward being more presidential and give several substantive speeches that are as strong his AIPAC speech.
Finally, Trump has to build on the convention organizing talent of his recent hire, Paul Manafort, and develop a grassroots delegate operation that can compete with Cruz.

Cruz has to target key New York districts and try to actually win them. Particularly in some of the overwhelmingly Democratic districts in New York City, he may be able to target the very small number of Republicans effectively. Every delegate Cruz could win in New York would be a blow Trump’s effort to regain momentum.

Cruz has to continue the intensely focused and organized grassroots delegate hunt that is currently serving him well in setting the stage for a shocking upset on the second or third ballot for the nomination if Trump can’t get to 1,237 before then.

Finally, Cruz has to gather up money and endorsements from the establishment wing of the party without becoming the “establishment” candidate himself. If voters think the establishment is coming to Cruz, he will be ok. If they think Cruz is moving toward the establishment, it could ruin his campaign.
One last prediction on the Republican side: the Republican nominee will be named Donald or Ted. No one else will emerge. The rules imposed by the Romney team were designed to create absolute control of the convention. They will now block the emergence of a new candidate.

For the convention to nominate a candidate, he or she must have earned majorities of the delegates from at least eight states before the first ballot. No one other than Trump and Cruz will have done that, and there is no provision to enter new names for nomination later on.

All the folks who are talking about changing the rules simply don't know what they are talking about.

The Rules Committee could propose changes, but they would have to go to the floor of the convention to be voted on by the delegates. More than 80 percent of the delegates will be for either Trump or Cruz. Why would Trump and Cruz agree to change the rules to encourage a new candidate?

Changing the rules to the disadvantage of both contestants is an absurd idea. It simply won't happen.

Your Friend,
Newt

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
oh no
« Reply #1175 on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Say it ain't so Mark.  Why just the other day he was saying he would vote for Trump over Hillary.  This is the problem with Trump .  You/me can be for him until he finally insults YOU/ME. 

Not helpful:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/04/08/levin-i-am-not-voting-for-donald-trump-count-me-as-never-trump/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Roger Stone
« Reply #1176 on: April 09, 2016, 05:46:31 PM »
I posted this a couple of months back.  It is long and verbose but it is an interesting read on a character that as far as I know is unique and for some reason in the airwaves more than usual this election.   From an account written by none other then Jeff Tobin in 2008:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/06/02/the-dirty-trickster

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 12, 2016, 09:02:52 AM »
ccp:  PS:  Trump "floats" Rubio for VP  ;   Marco back in the game?   shocked
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/11/trump-floats-rubio-kasich-walker-vice-president-picks/

Rubio holds a good number of delegates and some influence.  He was (supposedly) everyone's choice for VP last time and everyone's second choice earlier in this cycle.

Trump is trying to soften up the attacks he made on all the others.  Good luck with that - should have thought of that then during his burn bridges campaign. 

Not a great analogy, but I think of Dole and Kemp.  Kemp was a lousy VP candidate because Dole wouldn't have ever been his choice for President.  You have to believe in what you are selling.  I doubt Rubio would sign with Trump, but I've been wrong on everything else so far.

We'll see how this plays out.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 12, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
I was shocked when I read the headlines that Trump admitted the posting of Heidi Cruz's picture was a mistake and he shouldn't have done it.

As far as I am familiar with him that is a first.  One small step for man........ :lol:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:39 AM »
I was shocked when I read the headlines that Trump admitted the posting of Heidi Cruz's picture was a mistake and he shouldn't have done it.

As far as I am familiar with him that is a first.  One small step for man........ :lol:

Yet they won't admit that their guy acusing Cruz's delegate operation in Colo of "Gestapo tactics" was a mistake.

Gestapo, really?? it isn't Cruz who wants to combine the executive and judiciary into one, that favors a national police force, he doesn't support the power to imprison people without judicial proceedings. Thousands of political prisoners didn't 'disappear under his watch, Cruz hasn't sought to suppress any churches or religions, and he hasn't committed any arrests, torture or executions.

As usual, Trump has it exactly backwards.  Cruz supports all the freedoms that, if protected, would prevent us from ever having a national police force develop into a Gestapo like force.

Prescient were the Founders who in the 1700s saw the danger that emerged in 1930s Germany and vowed that the government would never become a stronger force than the people.

Meanwhile, what happened in Colorado.  They passed the rules, published the rules, followed the rules, elected delegates and sore loser lost.  Big deal.  Trump might have been involved earlier in the process if he hadn't been a Democrat when the rules were made or if he could even find Colorado on a map.

Interesting that his kids who are 100% behind him politically don't happen to be Republicans either, and can't vote for him in the NY primary.  That also tells me Trump might score 10 points lower in NY than the polls indicate.  Still a win but not a sweep.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
2016 Presidential, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders Are Delusional on Trade Policy
« Reply #1180 on: April 12, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/11/donald-trump-and-bernie-sanders-are-delusional-on-trade-policy.html

Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders Are Delusional on Trade Policy
We import so many parts—and parts of parts—that tariffs and protectionism will only kill jobs and hike prices.
---------------------------

This issue alone tells me Trump and obviously Sanders don't understand free market economics.

It also blows his analogy to Reagan who had a long held ambition to have a hemisphere wide free trade zone.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Presidential, Drudge vs. Cruz
« Reply #1181 on: April 13, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »
I heard about the Drudge vs Cruz war so I went to the Drudge Report and picked up a couple of juicy headlines designed to make Cruz look bad.

Backtracking here, I know a little about Drudge's politics because he used to have a radio talk show that played here on Sunday nights.  Not heavily promoted or listened to but pretty good content.  I noticed he was from the anti-free trade wing of the Republican party or conservative movement, called protectionism, populism(?), he tended to like Pat Buchanan for example.  That particular stand doesn't make it with me though we probably agree on other issues.  I bring this up because it explains why an otherwise intelligent guy might support Trump.  (

Lead headlines on the Drudge Report last night (and this morning) were these:

VIDEO: COLORADO 'ELECTION DAY' REVEALED...
'Delegates were decided, 10 seconds at a time'...
WAIT! WHAT?
Trump calls process 'a disgrace'...
Cruz email asks for $35 to be 'top deputy delegate'...

Let's start with the video that I suppose at this point would show us cheating or Gestapo tactics at the GOP convention in Colorado.  Yes, 600+ people running for national delegate were given 10 seconds each on the stage.  Yes, that's kind of a joke but way more open than most; everyone getting an equal shot, winners of the real vote count take all.

The second headline is false.  If that 10 seconds is what you were using to make your decision or to run your 'campaign' for national delegate, you either are the joke or are missing the punchline.  Everyone had the same shot to organize and win.  The winners were the top vote getters; hte way they ran the headline you might think money was changing hands or something else nefarious.  Not so.

Serious campaigns organize AHEAD OF TIME.  And they have what they call a slate of candidates and a bullet ballot (can you still call it that?).  So if you are with Cruz and want to be a delegate and sweep the convention, you get on a slate of candidates where everyone on it and more agree to vote the whole ballot.  The CNN video didn't know that or show that and Trump got blindsided because he's never been to one of these and he hired someone to manage these conventions AFTER this happened in Colorado.

The rules were set last August.  How is this unfair or someone else's fault?

Moving on to the second story, 4th headline:

Cruz email asks for $35 to be 'top deputy delegate'...

It looks like a crime commmited, bribery exposed.  Turns out he has a donation solicitation naming the contributor level no worse than NPR would.  Maybe you can be at the "Patron" level or the "ambassador" level.  In this case $35 to Cruz, from your home, puts you at the "top deputy delegate" level.  Was there one person out there that thought this money would give them a seat in the convention hall in Cleveland closer to the stage than their living room?

Too bad.  Because of Trump and his desperate followers, the conservative side is dividing and imploding.

We saw it here first when we learned from Pat that people and places like National Review, Townhall, WSJ, Glenn Beck, Thomas Sowell, Hot Air, Powerline, and many more were all too liberal, the "establishment", and part of a conspiracy to keep Trump out.  He was always able to bring us a Trump source or Trump poll that uniquely told the truth where the others were all telling us wrong.

Does it ever happen in politics that someone else merely holds a different view than you?  Or got more votes than you, as Cruz did over Trump in Colorado?  Or does it always have to be a scandal when your guy gets his clock cleaned?  

I wasted my time following the Drudge leads above and where there was smoke, there was no fire.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:15:32 AM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
Frankly, at this point the republican party needs to burn.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
Frankly, at this point the republican party needs to burn.

Already in process.  8 years of Obama and 8 years of Hillary-Castro because George Bush and John Boehner governed like Democrats.

We can replace the failing big tent party with a number of smaller, warring faction parties, the protectionist party, the government takings party, the RINO party, the big spending big government conservative party, the let the rest of the world burn party, and the anarchy party.

I like your earlier Ted Cruz or bust post better!

I was thinking this morning about past posts made on The Way Forward thread and how everything we were calling for didn't happen. 

We needed to get straight and clear and unified on issues, instead it is all chaos and confusion.  We needed to be able to communicate well and pull peole to our side of issues and instead it is moving in the other direction.  And we needed to pick someone to represent our views who will reach into the enemy camp and pull a few people over to our side, and instead we are choosing only those who are the most divisive.

Ted Cruz has all kinds of great views on issues and through all the noise I haven't heard a word of it in weeks if not months.

The next election is still 7 months out and yet we already feel helpless and hopeless.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:19 AM »
My assessment is that there is no hope until the reboot. This country, or what's left of it has to hit bottom before recovery.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »
My assessment is that there is no hope until the reboot. This country, or what's left of it has to hit bottom before recovery.

Pessimism continued, I don't think we will be any smarter after hitting rock bottom.  We will learn all the wrong lessons.  The metaphor fails, but I think it's only downhill from there.

I would still like to see Cruz or someone steal this nomination and start running with a real vision.  Call out socialism for what it is and lay out in detail what needs to be done.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 14, 2016, 05:34:11 AM »

Pessimism continued, I don't think we will be any smarter after hitting rock bottom.  We will learn all the wrong lessons.  The metaphor fails, but I think it's only downhill from there.

I would still like to see Cruz or someone steal this nomination and start running with a real vision.  Call out socialism for what it is and lay out in detail what needs to be done.

Until the Bernie dummies learn firsthand real poverty, they won't listen.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Presidential - Nate Silver
« Reply #1187 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Presidential, Cruz is taking Nebraska
« Reply #1188 on: April 14, 2016, 03:58:57 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/14/ted-cruz-picks-nebraska-delegates-no-show-donald-trump/
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
 can add Nebraska to his list of states where he’s out organized GOP frontrunner Donald Trump in collecting delegates.

Trump is hiring local help a and trying to organize after it's too late.  Is that how he will handle foreign and economic policy too?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:01:07 PM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Presidential, Cruz is taking Nebraska
« Reply #1189 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/14/ted-cruz-picks-nebraska-delegates-no-show-donald-trump/
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
 can add Nebraska to his list of states where he’s out organized GOP frontrunner Donald Trump in collecting delegates.

Trump is hiring local help a and trying to organize after it's too late.  Is that how he will handle foreign and economic policy too?

Yes.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Larry Elder
« Reply #1190 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:31:20 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 25, 2016, 07:24:45 AM »
Our side never ceases to give the left ammunition.   I dunno.  So what if we keep a database of muslims.  The government has no problem keeping databases of my religion race and back ground.  Does anyone think they don't already keep a database of far right groups.  Nazi Germany my ass.  And I am tired of hearing about Koch.  He can take his money and shove it.  He wants Trump to come to HIM and deal.  With his 'threats' that he may support Hillary. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/charles-koch-trump-nazi_us_571cd383e4b0d4d3f7239eaf

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Cruz and Kasich coordinating
« Reply #1194 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mattis
« Reply #1195 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »
http://weaponsman.com/?p=31360

This country really wouldn't deserve him. Not anymore.

DDF

Re: Mattis
« Reply #1196 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »

I was thinking about it, and if I was charged with protecting any of the current candidates, I think I'd spit out my coffee at the idea of it.

Bernie - The Socialist
Clinton - The criminal, America hating hag
Trump - The Manhattan Realtor (saleperson - you know the type)
Kasich - If ever someone had RINO written all over him
Cruz - The Canadian.... and he is.

I hope God knows what HE is doing in all of this. The worst part is a large swath of America are perfectly fine endorsing a criminal or a socialist that's never earned his own paycheck. What does one do with that?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:08:47 PM by DDF »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Mattis
« Reply #1197 on: April 26, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »

I was thinking about it, and if I was charged with protecting any of the current candidates, I think I'd spit out my coffee at the idea of it.

Bernie - The Socialist
Clinton - The criminal, America hating hag
Trump - The Manhattan Realtor (saleperson - you know the type)
Kasich - If ever someone had RINO written all over him
Cruz - The Canadian.... and he is.

I hope God knows what HE is doing in all of this. The worst part is a large swath of America are perfectly fine endorsing a criminal or a socialist that's never earned his own paycheck. What does one do with that?

You don't get anywhere in politics by blaming the voters, ... but I blame the voters.

I would write a different description of Cruz, the rest is spot-on from my point of view.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 26, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »
Didn't Menken say something about the people deserving the government they voted for , , , in spades?

DDF

« Reply #1199 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »
Didn't Menken say something about the people deserving the government they voted for , , , in spades?
Indeed....

And I agree also Doug.