Author Topic: Steve Browne's columns  (Read 608 times)

SWBrowne

• View Profile
    • Rants and Raves
Steve Browne's columns
« on: July 25, 2023, 04:25:54 AM »
(Column)
Country boys and dwarves
By Steve Browne

“I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive!”
Are those the lyrics America is currently obsessing over in a song by Jason Aldean extoling the virtues of small towns?
Oops no, that’s Hank Williams Jr.’s hit single from 1982. So what’s the difference?
The difference is I’d actually heard of Hank Williams Jr. I became aware of Jason Aldean only after all the fol-de-rol about the music video of his song Try That in a Small Town. (The song itself was released in May.)
So as soon as I heard about the controversy I went right over to YouTube and played it.
Apparently so did a lot of other people because it’s currently at the top of the charts in spite of being banned on Country Music Television. Which is now experiencing a backlash from country singers standing in solidarity with Aldean and demanding their videos be removed from CMT.
Critics claim its message is racist and promotes vigilantism. Aldean protests it’s about how in small towns, "We all have each other's backs and we look out for each other."
The fact anyone can interpret, "Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk / carjack an old lady at a red light" as racist is kind of creepy, and frankly sounds pretty racist. Like somebody mentions crime and you automatically jump to the conclusion they’re talking about race?
On the other hand, "Well, try that in a small town / See how far you make it down the road / Around here we take care of our own” does sound like it approves of people taking the law into their own hands.
But if you want a song that is straight up about personal vengeance in a small town it’s hard to beat Martina McBride’s 1995 song Independence Day, about a battered woman who sets the house on fire, immolating herself and her husband.
And half a country and worlds away from the country music scene, Disney is getting very nervous about their live action remake of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It seems they’ve removed all but one of the dwarfs and replaced six of them with a highly diverse cast.
So striving to make a version promoting diversity and inclusion, Disney has excluded – and denied jobs, to the smallest minority in the acting community.
Uh, maybe I shouldn’t have phrased it that way…
Obviously this is all about “message” in entertainment, bringing to mind Samuel Goldwyn’s advice, “Pictures are for entertainment, messages should be delivered by Western Union.”
But messages have been in entertainment since the first storytellers sat by the fire and gathered the tribe around.
The Trojan Women was written and staged by Euripides a year after he participated in the massacre of the men of Melos during the Peloponesian War. It was translated to film in 1971, and widely interpreted as a commentary on the Vietnam war.
Obviously it stands well as entertainment with a timeless message about the horrors of war and the plight of the conquered.
I could cite a lot of excellent movies and songs with messages. So why is it some make your heart swell and your eyes tear up, and some just irritate the heck out of you?
I want to say it’s the difference between subtle and hitting you over the head with the message but The Trojan Women isn’t subtle at all, it reaches into your chest and rips your heart out.
Could it be about the coherence of the message itself? I wish I knew.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 07:56:00 AM by SWBrowne »
"As weird as it's gotten, it still hasn't gotten weird enough for me."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Try That in a Small Town fol-de-rol
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 07:32:46 AM »
Good stuff Steve.

May I ask that you post these in one thread that is dedicated to your writings?

That way we can keep more ongoing threads closer to the top.

SWBrowne

• View Profile
    • Rants and Raves
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 08:51:13 AM »
OK

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 06:33:36 PM »
Yes. Good stuff Steve.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 07:03:46 AM »
Steve:

I want to underline that we are very glad to have you with us.

SWBrowne

• View Profile
    • Rants and Raves
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 07:41:28 AM »
Thanks Guys. I'm still learning my way around the controls here but I'm going to start a topic "Steve Browne's columns."

SWBrowne

• View Profile
    • Rants and Raves
Re: Steve Browne's columns
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 07:58:50 AM »
In view of the latest indictment I dusted off this old column:

The Unwritten Constitution
By Steve Browne
Not long ago I stumbled across an interesting factoid about constitutions. Of all sovereign states with constitutions around the world, only half have been functioning for more than 19 years.
The Constitution of the United States was ratified in 1788, making it the oldest codified constitution in the world.
The Republic of San Marino has a written constitution dating back to 1600, but experts in such matters have defined a difference between “written” and “codified” constitutions.
Codified constitutions tend to occur as a result of the founding of a new kind of government or a new nation.
A couple of perfectly nice countries, the UK and New Zealand, have no written constitutions.
A constitution is the basic and highest law of the land, which all other laws are measured against. If found to be in contradiction to the constitution, a law must be discarded as ‘unconstitutional.’
The constitution itself cannot be changed “by ordinary processes of legislation” in Thomas Jefferson’s words.
It is of course possible, even common, for governments to violate their own constitutions without going through the formal processes of amendment. Strict constructionists will point out the U.S. government does all kinds of things not specifically authorized by the Constitution, which would seem to be in violation of the Tenth Amendment, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.”
And I’ve never understood how a draft could be constitutional under the 13th Amendment, “Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction,” but the Supreme Court does not agree.
But the nice thing about a written constitution is that no matter how disregarded it may be, it’s still down in black and white for a later generation to rediscover.
But what concerns me is the violation of certain unwritten customs that aren’t formally parts of the Constitution.
The first example that comes to mind was Franklin Roosevelt running for unprecedented third and fourth terms.
Two terms was a precedent established by George Washington when he could easily have had as many as he liked. It was customary until FDR, and made law only with the passage of the 22nd Amendment.
But lately there has been more disregard of tacitly understood customs around our Constitution.
Obama disregarded presidential protocol during his term by blaming his predecessor for “the mess I inherited,” and after his term by staying in Washington and setting up what amounts to a shadow government – which is a  perfectly normal practice of parliamentary systems but until now not done in America.
Another unwritten custom has been, an incoming administration does not prosecute the loser of the election or the previous administration.
Though it might seem justice demands it there are just too many ways that can go south.
During his first campaign Trump alluded to Hillary going to jail, but did not follow through.
And now after challenging the validity of election results, something even Nixon didn’t do after dodgy election results, there is much talk of prosecuting Trump.
It doesn’t matter what you think of Trump or his attempt to challenge the election, that’s a dangerous road to go down.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Browne's columns
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 08:25:51 AM »
You had a very perceptive post on FB today (not a rare occurrence haha) that I complimented and quoted this morning.  Would love to see it here.