Author Topic: Books  (Read 46808 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dinesh D'Souza
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
Dinesh D'Souza Exposes What Obama Doesn't Want You to Know 

Has anyone read any of his books?  Mostly I agree with him.  However, he got his proverbial behind kicked on Bill Maher recently.  I came off as conciliatory and Maher mostly they no completely repeatedly got him to make concessions and look silly.   Plus I absolutely disagree with Dinesh who frames Obamas philosophy as being simply anti-colonialism.   While that is true clearly Obama's total record is that it is also is far more then that.   He is anti white anti Jew anti America anti capitalism and possibly anti Christian (yes I know he goes to Church) and probably anti religion altogether.  It is NOT simply colonialism that is the enemy of Obama.  Dinesh is absolutely wrong about that and that IS what he was reiterating on Maher's show recently.  Perhaps this new book expands more to the truth about Bamster.   As far as Maher, he is a hypocrite fraud who has done very well in our society.  Just another Jew who goes around false preaching about how discriminatory this country is yet is as rich as anyone.   Not that he doesn't deserve it or that he earned it but just don't he turn around and preach to us.    I wonder if Blacks are offended by the Hollywood Jews who are so fond of reminding them and the world how much Jews and Blacks have in common.  The descendants of the Hollywood Jews who literally took advantage of Blacks  years ago making them all servants and Black face and look like ignoramuses in their early movies.   How about how they robbed the likes of Joe Louis and other Black sports greats?  I hear no apologies about that.    Recently that other Jewish comedian was on the one night tribute to DOn Rickles was so fond of bringing up the 2000 years of persecution that Jews and Blacks share.   Then he cracked both are out to get white men.  Not funny.  The audience didn't laugh either.

****Townhall   

Today at 11:01 AM 

Dinesh D'Souza Takes on America
   Dinesh D'Souza is making national headlines for being a conservative. Why? Because Obama can't sleep at night, fearful of what D'Souza could tell the American people. After spending years investigating the current administration, D'Souza compiled a book Obama doesn't want you to read.

Get Dinesh D’Souza’s new book – FREE with Townhall Magazine!

In the book, he details how Progressives are working tirelessly to forever change our nation. They are infiltrating our schools, our entertainment and now shaping the policies of the executive office.

Dinesh D'Souza first made Obama nervous with his film 2016: Obama's America and especially after it became the second highest grossing political documentary of all time. Now, he is being targeted for his patriotic efforts (just as this administration previously used the IRS to target conservatives). Obama is terrified of what D'Souza has to say to America and would do anything to stop him.

You will not want to miss his latest book! The book takes an in-depth look at the progressive agenda and how it is ruining our beloved country. And seeks to find answers to the thought-provoking questions facing our country today.

D’Souza thoroughly investigated the NSA scandal knowing "the Obama administration is collecting private information on every American, for reasons that have nothing to do with terrorism." If you aren't worried - you simply aren't paying attention.

His latest books is both provocative in its analysis and stunning in its conclusions. Without a doubt Dinesh D'Souza's America will be the most talked about book of the year. And Obama won't want you to read it.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tomorrow War
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/entertainment/2015/06/30/tomorrow-war-jl-bourne-grid-down-constitution/29106569/

I strongly suggest picking this book up. A very fast and entertaining read with very realistic points to consider.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
I had some time on my hands so I bought his book on the Barbary pirates and the US.  There are of course other and probably more definitive books on the subject but this book I enjoyed.  Only around 200 pages so it can be read in a day or two.  The same indecisiveness about what to do with the Muslims terrorists existed than as it does today with military action finally bringing a resolution.  John Adams was afraid that military action would start a war with no end.   Jefferson wanted military force early on.   Only with him as President did that happen.   Adams the Massachusetts liberal reminds me much of the liberals today:

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/books/q-a-with-brian-kilmeade-the-fox-friends-host-discusses-his-new-book-on-the-barbary-pirates-1.11048002

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »
For your holiday gift giving Thomas Sowell suggests a few books.  His list of recommendations also include some movies.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/427783/christmas-gifts-conservatives

Might I recommend his own latest:
Wealth, Poverty, and Politics, an International Perspective, by Thomas Sowell
http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Poverty-Politics-International-Perspective/dp/0465082939

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »
Just bought the FMA Anthology.  Thanks for the heads up BD.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Yersinia pestis
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2017, 04:54:03 AM »
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4072863/plague-disease-biological-weapon-terrorists-isis-spread-from-air/

Reminds me of this novel which was pretty good.  Plague in NYC, though not terrorist caused, but ending like "Fail Safe":

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Death-Gwyneth-Cravens/dp/0345271556

read this book in between ebola duties

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Book, Clayton Christensen, Innovation, competing against luck
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice

https://qz.com/801706/innovation-guru-clayton-christensens-new-theory-will-help-protect-you-from-disruption/

Interview with the author at the link.

I ordered this book...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Follow the Money
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Books, Choose Economic Freedom, Enduring policy lessons, John B. Taylor, George P. Schultz,
featuring Milton Friedman

https://www.hoover.org/research/choose-economic-freedom-enduring-policy-lessons-1970s-and-1980s

ABOUT THE AUTHORS

George P. Shultz, the Thomas W. and Susan B. Ford Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution, has had an eminent career in government, academia, and business. Shultz served three positions in the cabinet of Richard Nixon and was Ronald Reagan’s secretary of state from 1982 until 1989.

John B. Taylor is the George P. Shultz Senior Fellow in Economics at the Hoover Institution and the Mary and Robert Raymond Professor of Economics at Stanford University. After serving on the Council of Economic Advisers for Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George H. W. Bush, Taylor was under secretary of the Treasury under George W. Bush.

ALSO FEATURING

The book also features a number of historical excerpts from Milton Friedman, recipient of the 1976 Nobel Prize in economics and a senior research fellow at the Hoover Institution from 1977 to 2006. Friedman was widely regarded as the leader of the Chicago School of economics, and his research emphasized the preservation and extension of individual freedom.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Book: Unmasked, Andy Ngo, Inside Antifa's Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2021, 05:37:09 AM »
A friend gave me this book during my travels.  I've only started but hooked from the first page of the introduction.

His nerve to 'go in' reminds me of Michael Yon.  The price of the book is worth not having to go in ourselves.

Know your enemy.  I strongly resent stories like these being swept under the table while real acts of patriotism are labeled extremist and terror. Antifa and these other radical groups taking our streets and burning our cities need to be stopped. First you need to know and admit it's happening.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gulag Archipelago
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2022, 06:43:33 PM »
it is 3 volumes

anyone here ever read them?

I was thinking about it

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gulag Archipelago
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2022, 06:57:52 PM »
it is 3 volumes

anyone here ever read them?

I was thinking about it
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Just ordered it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Books, Putin, Bill Browder, freezing orders
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2022, 03:09:52 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
While Time Remains
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2023, 07:09:26 AM »
by the N Korean escapee Yoemni Park , and who I
discovered when she was on Mark Levin show. I went out and bought her second book 'While Time Remains'.

in the last chapter  she closes out the book by citing three people she cites as being role models,  "freedom fighters" who she admires .

1)  Jordan Peterson
2)  Joe Rogan.   :-o :-o :-o
3)  Candice Owens.   :-o

Coincidently, Mark Levin just bashed Joe Rogan on a recent broadcast. 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Quantum Supremacy"
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2023, 10:40:24 AM »
by :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku

So far I only read 1/11 th of the book but I can already strongly recommend it.

Quantum computing , if it can be tamed would revolutionize EVERYTHING.

Silicon would be dead and I's and P's replaced with atom level quantum mechanics

instead of doing tasks serially , with quantum multiple tasks at same time would be performed.
net result is computing billions time billions of times faster more efficiently and massive tasks done all at once.

The 128 code security used by our military , large commercial enterprises could be cracked in a few milliseconds because , if I understand it correctly would not try one combination after another but due to the odd quantum situation that atoms could be spinning multiple directions/ locations all at once
the search for the formula would be the near infinite iterations done all at once.

there would be no silicon based cybersecurity that could not be breached

estimated 25 % of block chain would be at risk

our silicon networks could be breached by the CCP and we would all have to submit.
perhaps a world dominating madman could do the same a la James Bond movies.

OTOH the power could be used for good -  understanding our universe better, energy , fusion , medicine, financial markets , transportation , agriculture - understanding photosynthesis and endless stream of applications

Breakthroughs in quantum are rapidly progressing - much faster than thought. 40 yr projections have already been broken. Maybe only ~ 5 yr away from widely used applications.
Google , MSFT , IBM and 200 start ups already working at it. Apple of course to .
It is frightening to think the CCP is gung ho about this .  We know they will use it as weapon

GB too . I think France and Germany mentioned
Nation States are starting to put big money into this.

The race is on between countries and companies.

This combined with AI will alter mankind, civilization .

Where it will lead - to great advances or our self destruction no one can predict

If anyone is going to live more than 5 yrs more or have children , or concerns about what the future of civilization could be - read this book.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2023, 05:45:42 AM »
This sounds super interesting and important.  I am sorely tempted to buy it because of what you post here, but I already have a HUGE backlog of books to read.  So, for the moment I will limit myself to saying I hope you will follow up here when you finish the book.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
How Democracies Die
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2023, 08:51:12 AM »
by two Harvard political "scientists"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Democracies_Die

Newsweek WP NYT Guardian Obama all list it with rave reviews

so you know the biased slant it sings

the answer is TRUMP ! is how this Democracies die

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Pulitzer prize to George Floyd book
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2023, 09:18:38 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Pulitzer prize to George Floyd book
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2023, 09:31:14 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pulitzer-winning-authors-of-george-floyd-book-told-not-to-talk-about-systemic-racism-at-tennessee-event/ar-AA1jV30T?ocid=msedgntphdr&cvid=561e6ff34e8e4059cae7a6b5d50579dd&ei=14

perhaps it is a good book

that said can anyone think of a conservative book getting a pulitzer in at least recent memory?

I wonder if the book glosses over or totally ignores the "gentle giant's" extensive criminal history before he died of a drug overdose while being arrested.

I would bet yes.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2023, 09:33:13 AM »
" wonder if the book glosses over or totally ignores the "gentle giant's" extensive criminal history before he died of a drug overdose while being arrested"

well if they do, they will blame his criminal and drug history on white supremacy and racism.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
" wonder if the book glosses over or totally ignores the "gentle giant's" extensive criminal history before he died of a drug overdose while being arrested"

well if they do, they will blame his criminal and drug history on white supremacy and racism.

Exactly!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Quantum supremacy (computing)
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2023, 06:35:48 AM »
see my Sept 9th post on this:

segment on 60 minutes last night about the incredible promise of quantum computing.

Michio Kaku's book displayed and he was one of the people interviewed
along with people from Google and IBM

Honeywell, MSFT also working on it too
along with CCP (not me) .

probably too early to invest at this point. Not clear who will win.
Although IBM as 4+ dividend .

I first heard of it on CNN  :-o and ran out bought the book.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ed Thorpe Beat the Dealer
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2024, 01:19:27 PM »
circa '64. I bought a copy in 1978 or 1977 prior to driving cross country so I could be ready to play black jack while in Vegas.

just now I see in one place it is reported it came out in '62 or 66
but I recall date was '64 on my copy.

He wrote the original Bible on card counting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O._Thorp

according to Wikipedia a few others came up with card counting systems going back to ~ 1956.

I see his net worth is ~800 million between gambling successes and a stock market system that netted him 20% for over 25 yrs.

PS
I used his 'basic system' and won $22 playing $2 hands.  I only had a couple of hundred on me so this helped pay some bills along the way.

This system is long obsolete now.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2024, 01:37:12 PM »
addendum

that was when motel 6 was really $6

a quick search shows rates around me now are

$83 to 104 near me now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator