Author Topic: Schwartzenegger foolish risk taking  (Read 5734 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Schwartzenegger foolish risk taking
« on: December 24, 2006, 07:44:09 AM »
I wonder if anyone will question the risk this guy took to sky.  Some years back he had an aoritc heart valve replacement.  It would have presumably been with a metallic valve because he was relatively young it those kinds of valves last longer.  The issue I have is that he would thus be on blood thinning medicine to prevent clots forming on the valve.  So for this guy who has a responsibility to his constituents, to be skiing while on blood thinning medicine is purely reckless, risky (needlessly), and selfish.  If he wants to do that on his own time that is his choice to do something foolhardy but while governor?

Anyway, my opinion. But, perhaps he does have a animal tissue aortic valve which does not require serious blood thinning medicine but I would doubt it because they do not last as long and are usually used for significantly older people who would not be expected to outlive the shorter life span of the valve.

Hey Dems, you want something to harp about - here you go.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061224/D8M719K00.html

arkangel

• View Profile
Re: Schwartzenegger foolish risk taking
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »
I wonder if anyone will question the risk this guy took to sky.  Some years back he had an aoritc heart valve replacement.  It would have presumably been with a metallic valve because he was relatively young it those kinds of valves last longer.  The issue I have is that he would thus be on blood thinning medicine to prevent clots forming on the valve.  So for this guy who has a responsibility to his constituents, to be skiing while on blood thinning medicine is purely reckless, risky (needlessly), and selfish.  If he wants to do that on his own time that is his choice to do something foolhardy but while governor?

Anyway, my opinion. But, perhaps he does have a animal tissue aortic valve which does not require serious blood thinning medicine but I would doubt it because they do not last as long and are usually used for significantly older people who would not be expected to outlive the shorter life span of the valve.

Hey Dems, you want something to harp about - here you go.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061224/D8M719K00.html

At least he isn't Real Contact Stickfighting, or should that be why isn't he? Hmmmm.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 02:37:32 PM »
Why is skiing particularly dangerous on blood-thinking medication?

Quijote

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 06:12:23 AM »
At least he isn't Real Contact Stickfighting, or should that be why isn't he?

Actually this would be pretty cool if he'd do so.  :wink:

"En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero
acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que viv?a un hidalgo de los de
lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, roc?n flaco y galgo corredor."

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
Well he must be on coumadin which is a potent blood thinner - far more than aspirin.  Unless, I am wrong and he got a pig (tissue) heart valve and thus wouldn't need coumadin.  But again this would not have been the usual case for his age.

So any activity where he risks significant contact would also risk serious bleeding.   If he is on coumadin, as I susupect he must be, his doctors would have warned him of the risks.  Although to court favor with the Hollywood Pol they might have given him the ok to take these risks but IMO I just think it is not only unnecessary risk to himself, but in regards to his responsibility as governor his constituents.

I am surprised the usual gossipy press has not brought this up. 

It in some way reminds me of JFK having Addison's disease and osteoporotic induced compression fractures in his spinal verterbrae.  At least one theory has it that he had no special war injury to his back but he had back pain from damage to his spine from osteoporosis (although the trigger could have been war related acitivity).   This was at the time not publicly disclosed.   I guess one can find other examples of presidents with medical history kept out of the front pages.  Didn't Wilson have a stroke that was for a time hushed?  And Grant was an alcoholic though I am not sure if people at the time were unaware.   And in restrospect Reagan was showing sigins of Alzheimers while he was at the tail end of his Presidency though it wasn't clear at the time though I remember the possibility was raised.