Author Topic: Survivalist, Prepper/prepping issues  (Read 88542 times)

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Survivalist, Prepper/prepping issues
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2024, 05:07:15 AM »
We have a generator that runs on gas, propane, and , , , I forget the third one haha.  We have gasoline and propane in the shed.  We had an electrician set up a special line that allows us to go directly into the panel so we would not be limited to extension cords.  Our generator is strong and can pretty much run the whole house if we turn off what we are not using.

We have a freezer and a back up refrigerator in the garage, all packed to the gills with back up food so the generator is super important to protect against the food going bad.  We also have dried and canned food too.

And the means to protect it all!

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Survivalist, Prepper/prepping issues
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2024, 05:31:31 AM »
We have a generator that runs on gas, propane, and , , , I forget the third one haha.  We have gasoline and propane in the shed.  We had an electrician set up a special line that allows us to go directly into the panel so we would not be limited to extension cords.  Our generator is strong and can pretty much run the whole house if we turn off what we are not using.

We have a freezer and a back up refrigerator in the garage, all packed to the gills with back up food so the generator is super important to protect against the food going bad.  We also have dried and canned food too.

And the means to protect it all!

I'll note that one of the smartest things I ever did was keep an eye on Craigslist for a fireplace insert. Living in the mountains west of DC, and working in one of the largest suburbs near it, there is always some gov factotum or beltway bandit looking to rid himself of something in the way of his remodel or whatever, cheap. The insert can heat the whole house, I can cook on top of it, make coffee for my adicted wife, while it feed it deadfall from the surrounding woods. If one has a fireplace I highly recommend an insert as a means of addressing cold weather needs. Combine that with three gennies and various other preps like chains x 4 for all vehicles, a plow, and so on and it's easy to tell the difference between my home and those of less prepared neighbors.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Get Home Bag List
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2024, 01:08:48 PM »
Pleased to say the only thing listed here that isn't in my GHBs is sea dye.

And I do a mix of "the scatter method & the one bag method" since I have to deal with non-permissive environments. Basically I add critical items to my various bags set up for various situations and environments, with the major downside being the cost of duplicating materials across the various tool/resource collections.

https://www.backpacker.com/survival/whats-in-military-sere-instructors-survival-kit/