Author Topic: The US Congress; Congressional races  (Read 302638 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: demographics, Blexit
« Reply #1100 on: June 30, 2022, 06:44:53 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/key-demographics-for-the-2022-midterm-elections/ar-AAXjHgO?li=BBnb7Kz

what is it with black voters they are so wed to their beloved democrat party.

perhaps I could see in the mid 60's but now?

Agree!  It's been a frustratingly slow process to ween blacks off the liberal plantation.  Seeing the forest through the trees, black voters have been convinced Republicans are evil because thy would spend less than Democrats on welfare, but the welfare state more than anything else is what destroyed their communities.

Break the black vote into smaller demographics.  Generalizing, black women, even successful ones, see the government as their husband, as their guarantor of financial security, a lousy one at that.  A tiny percentage of black men are criminals and thugs and see Republicans as tougher on crime, their livelihood.  Yet it was President Trump who actually started letting out non-violent offenders and giving them a second chance.

But most importantly, I think it is mainly black men who are trending Republican.  It takes guts to go against the flow of your peers and what has been defined to them as against their race, but the majority of them are hard working, tax paying, gas buying Americans like every other race.

In political demographics, it only takes small movements in core groups to make a large difference.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:55:33 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congressional races 2022, Nate Silver
« Reply #1101 on: July 01, 2022, 05:24:09 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races
« Reply #1102 on: July 01, 2022, 05:36:50 AM »
And the GOP has nominated — or is poised to nominate — candidates who might significantly underperform a “generic” Republican based on some combination of inexperience, personal scandals or having articulated unpopular conservative positions. This is not a new problem for Republicans: underqualified or fringy candidates have cost them seats in the Senate in other recent cycles.

not helpful

OTOH this site is suspect to me ; look at the 2024 general Presidential election

it has Harris Biden and Newsome ALL beating Trump beating DeSantis

I find that hard to believe ......
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:45:17 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 01, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »
I should have put in the post Nate Silver is left wing writing for the left wing. And he still has R's taking up to 259 seats in the House.

It's going to be 2 years of divided government no matter what happens in the Senate

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
of course as always The Dems
« Reply #1104 on: July 02, 2022, 09:12:37 AM »
whipping up their favored identity groups into a total frenzy with get out the vote drives....
fear mongering, and  put "you all back in chains" rants:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/same-sex-couples-updating-legal-053948630.html

This and their strategy to offer "free stuff"

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Zero equals the probability Dems will hold the House
« Reply #1105 on: July 05, 2022, 05:43:11 AM »
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/07/05/the_2022_house_midterm_by_the_numbers_147840.html

After I clear my debt with ccp over the 2016 election, Hillary won't run, won't win the nomination if she runs and won't win the election if nominated, I will offer G M even odds on which party controls the US House after all the illegal votes are harvested.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:20:36 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Herschel Walker - politically damaged?
« Reply #1106 on: July 08, 2022, 05:20:54 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Herschel Walker - politically damaged?
« Reply #1107 on: July 08, 2022, 09:03:05 PM »
Yes, we need to win Georgia.

This looks bad.  Strangely, Joe Biden has a granddaughter he won't acknowledge, and nobody cares

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Zero equals the probability Dems will hold the House
« Reply #1108 on: July 08, 2022, 10:21:07 PM »
https://i.imgflip.com/4x7aqb.jpg

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/07/05/the_2022_house_midterm_by_the_numbers_147840.html

After I clear my debt with ccp over the 2016 election, Hillary won't run, won't win the nomination if she runs and won't win the election if nominated, I will offer G M even odds on which party controls the US House after all the illegal votes are harvested.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
new poll Herschel slightly in lead
« Reply #1109 on: July 09, 2022, 06:12:50 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/07/08/georgia-poll-herschel-walker-narrowly-leads-democrat-raphael-warnock-senate-race/

funny it was the MSLSD jurnolists who just claimed Warnock in lead by huge margin, I think a few nights ago......

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Zero equals the probability Dems will hold the House
« Reply #1110 on: July 09, 2022, 06:47:33 AM »
https://i.imgflip.com/4x7aqb.jpg

https://thenationalpulse.com/2022/07/07/poll-majority-of-americans-believe-midterm-elections-will-be-tainted-by-fraud/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
repubs to have 225 to 255
« Reply #1112 on: July 11, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-power-rankings-gop-expected-take-control-house

well 225 is terrible since we already have 210!:

https://pressgallery.house.gov/member-data/party-breakdown

even 45 more seats does not seem that great
when one thinks how bad things are

I thought we were talking as high as 270 + at one time

what about the Senate ?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: repubs to have 225 to 255
« Reply #1113 on: July 11, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »
Setting expectations for the next stolen election.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-power-rankings-gop-expected-take-control-house

well 225 is terrible since we already have 210!:

https://pressgallery.house.gov/member-data/party-breakdown

even 45 more seats does not seem that great
when one thinks how bad things are

I thought we were talking as high as 270 + at one time

what about the Senate ?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 11, 2022, 05:19:40 PM »
Convos on FOX are saying the Senate is dicey.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Manchin comes through again for now
« Reply #1115 on: July 15, 2022, 05:52:50 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/manchin-wont-support-climate-tax-increase-provisions-sweeping-democratic-bill

pulling a shyster move (giving medal of freedom to republicans who are "bipartisan")

the next Repub President (if there ever is one). should give Manchin the Medal of Freedom for "bipartisanship"!

:-D

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Manchin comes through again for now
« Reply #1116 on: July 15, 2022, 06:12:26 AM »
Yes, but he is holding a seat that should be conservative Republican.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
https://apnews.com/article/john-fetterman-pennsylvania-senate-race-7ee6a7ef1e4a37fc8c6ebeaff79c9450

and no one sees him since
as he hauls in the money

what? how nuts is this?

our country just continues to be more crazy by the day.......

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congressional races, Liz Cheney
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2022, 02:26:20 AM »
Rep. Liz Cheney drops pro life support for Dem support and Trump vitriol.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/07/20/hageman-bouchard-blast-cheney-for-not-voting-on-abortion-legislation/

Great coverage by Leo Wolfson at Cowboy State Daily.

Give to Harriet Hageman
https://www.hagemanforwyoming.com/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
LIz
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2022, 06:20:17 AM »
"We should also give to Liz Cheney's primary opponent and the opponent of every member of the committee."

Did you see Bret Baier's interview of same yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKrCMcvyFk

Liz: the biggest threat to DEMOCRACY (and republicans) is Donald Trump .
nothing else matters

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congressional races, Liz Cheney
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »
"She does not address the absence of cross examination, witnesses in secret without them allowed lawyers or copies of the testimony, the failure to mention that Trump offered 20,000 National Guard, the denial of Jim Jacobs and the other one, etc etc"

I thought Bret did good job of confronting her on these facts
and even pointed out how she did not answer them
all she would say " we need to save Democracy over and over again"
despite ignoring the problems the people who voted her into office are concerned about which is not her 24/7 divine mission (like a woman spurned - obsession for revenge)

I liked when Bret asked her if this is about '24.

She smiled and did not give a straight answer one way or another
I would never vote for her under almost any circumstances
every again .

I don't want to watch another minute of her but I'm glad to hear he brought these points out. 

The way that you would de-energize the vote integrity skepticism on the right would be to investigate the 2020 vote fraud exhaustively.  A deplorable lack of curiosity, strange (pathetic) that she asked for and received NOTHING from the Democrats for her help on their apparently existential fight.

The Wyoming vote is 30% Democrat, 70% Republican.  On the R side, latest polling is:

Hageman 52, Cheney 30, Bouchard 5   Hageman +22

In theory, Democrats could swing this election to Cheney - if they all came over and all showed up.  But why would they.  Trump will be gone and they will have an emboldened conservative on their hands.

Funny part is, if Liz Cheney (from McLean VA who grew up in Washington DC) loses, move back to Wyoming?  Is there one person in Wyoming who ever saw her as a friend and neighbor?  I don't think so.

Will she run for President?  Just as far as Mittens ran in 2020.  She will have zero Dem support, zero moderate Republican support, only support from 'conservatives' who hate Trump enough to tank the election to Democrats.  And we don't even know Trump will run or would otherwise win the nomination.

She would actually help Trump by taking the oxygen in the room away from his real challengers.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Don Samuels versus ilhan Omar, Minnesota 5th District
« Reply #1121 on: July 25, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Congressional races, Liz Cheney
« Reply #1122 on: July 25, 2022, 09:46:16 PM »
I may have spent more time in Wyoming than Liz, and I never lived there.

I just drove through multiple times.

"She does not address the absence of cross examination, witnesses in secret without them allowed lawyers or copies of the testimony, the failure to mention that Trump offered 20,000 National Guard, the denial of Jim Jacobs and the other one, etc etc"

I thought Bret did good job of confronting her on these facts
and even pointed out how she did not answer them
all she would say " we need to save Democracy over and over again"
despite ignoring the problems the people who voted her into office are concerned about which is not her 24/7 divine mission (like a woman spurned - obsession for revenge)

I liked when Bret asked her if this is about '24.

She smiled and did not give a straight answer one way or another
I would never vote for her under almost any circumstances
every again .

I don't want to watch another minute of her but I'm glad to hear he brought these points out. 

The way that you would de-energize the vote integrity skepticism on the right would be to investigate the 2020 vote fraud exhaustively.  A deplorable lack of curiosity, strange (pathetic) that she asked for and received NOTHING from the Democrats for her help on their apparently existential fight.

The Wyoming vote is 30% Democrat, 70% Republican.  On the R side, latest polling is:

Hageman 52, Cheney 30, Bouchard 5   Hageman +22

In theory, Democrats could swing this election to Cheney - if they all came over and all showed up.  But why would they.  Trump will be gone and they will have an emboldened conservative on their hands.

Funny part is, if Liz Cheney (from McLean VA who grew up in Washington DC) loses, move back to Wyoming?  Is there one person in Wyoming who ever saw her as a friend and neighbor?  I don't think so.

Will she run for President?  Just as far as Mittens ran in 2020.  She will have zero Dem support, zero moderate Republican support, only support from 'conservatives' who hate Trump enough to tank the election to Democrats.  And we don't even know Trump will run or would otherwise win the nomination.

She would actually help Trump by taking the oxygen in the room away from his real challengers.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Missouri US Senate race
« Reply #1124 on: July 26, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
Latest poll:  Missouri GOP Senate: Schmitt Leads, Greitens Drops to Third Place
-----
ccp, who do your insiders like in this race?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 05:16:21 PM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Schiff for house *minority* leader
« Reply #1126 on: July 28, 2022, 02:00:56 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/07/28/adam-schiff-eyes-house-leadership-position-pushing-russia-hoax/

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

then again any dem is no good
but this guy?

Just another Dem BINO

bipartisan in name only

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
POTP: Culture Wars could help Dems
« Reply #1129 on: August 06, 2022, 01:14:25 PM »
Culture wars could be a winning issue — for Democrats
Recent polling shows that gun control and abortion rights are bolstering voter motivations
Image without a caption
Analysis by Paul Kane
Congressional bureau chief
August 6, 2022 at 9:40 a.m. EDT

The top lines for Democrats continue to be brutal heading into the November midterm elections: Voters are furious about inflation, they overwhelmingly believe the country is heading in the wrong direction, and President Biden is not at all a popular figure.

But based on recent polling, the issue matrix has shifted enough to provide Democrats some hope that they can limit some of their potential losses and outperform expectations, especially in statewide races for the U.S. Senate and governorships.

In an ironic twist, those issues giving them a fighting chance are what traditionally would be considered elements of the “culture wars” that Republicans previously considered their winning talking points. But a wave of mass shootings and the Supreme Court’s watershed ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade have vaulted gun violence and abortion rights way up the charts in terms of voter importance. Those two matters now rank just below the most important issue concerning voters: inflation and stabilizing the economy.

“Election 2022 will hinge on which party is able to show they are taking meaningful action to stabilize the economy, lower inflation costs (housing, gas, and food), reduce gun violence and protect a woman’s right to choose,” Joel Benenson and Neil Newhouse write in a summary of their new, bipartisan research.

Benenson ran polling for Barack Obama’s winning 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns. Newhouse went up against him in 2012 as Mitt Romney’s lead pollster. Over the past year, they have paired up to do regular research for Center Forward, a centrist think tank.

In late July, they studied voters in 14 battleground states, compiling both a traditional data set on all voters and then a 37-page examination of “non-prime voters” in those states — that is, people who do not vote in every election.

To be sure, Democrats have a huge hurdle to overcome on the economy. As most other polling has shown, voters are furious about runaway inflation. That’s easily the most animating issue in the nation, with 46 percent of voters saying “stabilizing” the economy is one of the two most important issues right now.

The pollsters found that 44 percent of voters “strongly disapprove” of Biden’s job performance, while only 19 percent “strongly approve,” and, furthermore, just 44 percent of Democrats “strongly approve” of Biden’s achievements.

That’s an upside-down position heading into midterms when Biden and Democrats will depend on motivating hardcore partisans to get to the polls.

“The softer they approve of the president,” Newhouse, a co-founder of Public Opinion Strategies, said, “the harder it is to turn them out.”

But their work also shows a surging interest among Democratic voters and many independents toward gun control and protecting abortion rights. It’s the type of polling and research that backs up what happened Tuesday in Kansas, when voters in the otherwise very conservative state overwhelmingly approved retaining abortion rights in their state constitution.

How Kansas became a bellwether for abortion rights

Benenson and Newhouse found that on that same voter-priority question, 26 percent chose “protecting a woman’s right” to abortion access as a top issue — essentially tying border security as the No. 2 issue, behind the economy. Just 9 percent of voters chose the antiabortion position as a top-tier issue, giving Democrats a big edge on this front.

Democratic voters in these battleground states now rank abortion rights as, far and away, their most important policy topic, selected by 45 percent as one of their two most important national issues. Perhaps more important for Democratic candidates, independent voters chose protecting abortion rights as their second-most important issue (trailing inflation/the economy), giving their candidates an opening to appeal to those voters.

Benenson, the CEO of Benenson Strategy Group, thinks Democrats can successfully paint certain GOP candidates as particularly extreme on the touchpoint cultural issue of abortion, particularly those who oppose exemptions for rape, incest and to save the life of the mother.

“When it comes to extremism, Republicans have the bigger problem as a party, not the Democrats,” Benenson said in a joint interview with Newhouse on Tuesday afternoon, before the Kansas results came in.

Earlier, in their October surveys, Newhouse and Benenson essentially foreshadowed the disastrous off-year elections in Virginia and New Jersey by noting how out of line the Democratic agenda and Democratic voter interests were with independent voters.

Independent voters in the fall chose the inflationary economy and border security as their top two issues, with pandemic recovery as their third issue; Democratic voters chose climate change, taxing the rich and pandemic recovery as their top concerns.

The agenda then — a more than $2 trillion package trying to reshape health care, battle climate change, improve child care, and other domestic issues — felt too big, too vast for middle-of-the-road voters who were worried about inflation.

“The conversation in Washington doesn’t match the conversation that’s happening around the country,” Newhouse said at the time.

Now, Democrats appear better aligned with independent voters on their issues.

Beyond just what should be the top priorities, the polling duo also measured issues on the basis of what will most motivate voters to choose candidates. Independents top motivators are, of course, addressing inflation and the economy, but their fourth and sixth most animating subject matters are stricter gun laws and protecting abortion rights.

Those latter two issues have now vaulted to the very top of the most motivating issues for Democrats, followed by inflation, while the perennial key issue for liberals, climate change, fell into the bottom tier.

(The pandemic, for what it’s worth, no longer concerns any voting bloc. Democrats, independents and Republicans are not ranking it among their 10 most motivating issues.)

Smart Democrats, however, are careful not to overstate these findings, because inflation and concerns about potential job losses in this shaky economy hugely dominate the mind-set of battleground voters.

If Biden and congressional Democrats cannot blunt some of the inflation anger, voters are likely to tune out their appeals on guns and abortion.

That’s why they have tried to rebrand the slimmed-down version of their agenda “the Inflation Reduction Act,” a compromise hashed out with Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and centrist Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W. Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).

Its key components include providing hundreds of billions in funding to battle climate change, allowing Medicare to negotiate for cheaper prescription drugs and shoring up health-care markets — while raising taxes on corporations to help reduce the deficit.

None of these measures will help slow inflation by the November elections, however, leaving Democrats vulnerable to the whims of global energy markets and clogged supply chains.

And independent voters do not rate the details of the Inflation Reduction Act as particularly important: lowering prescription drug prices came in ninth among motivating issues, according to Benenson and Newhouse, while climate change does not rank in the top 10.

How the Schumer-Manchin climate bill might affect you and change the U.S.

Democrats hope that this spate of recent legislative productivity — including bipartisan majorities passing laws to help the semiconductor industry and to help veterans of overseas wars who experience health problems — will appeal to their liberal base.

Those voters might not be able to save the House majority, which is being fought over in outer suburban and exurban districts. But if liberals in cities and inner suburbs turn out in bigger numbers than their current malaise suggests, Democratic candidates for Senate and governor could receive key boosts from what used to be the GOP’s secret weapon: cultural issues.

When it comes to non-prime voters, the pollsters discovered a particularly demoralized bloc. They love their country, but they view the political system as filled with candidates who do not represent their interests and see elections as often not worth the trouble.

These voters do lean toward Republicans, but they just are so cynical toward the system they probably won’t vote.

“The emotional barriers will be especially key to overcome,” Benenson and Newhouse write.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: POTP: Culture Wars could help Dems
« Reply #1130 on: August 06, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
Translation: They are going to steal the midterms and claim it was abortion and gun control.

Culture wars could be a winning issue — for Democrats
Recent polling shows that gun control and abortion rights are bolstering voter motivations
Image without a caption
Analysis by Paul Kane
Congressional bureau chief
August 6, 2022 at 9:40 a.m. EDT

The top lines for Democrats continue to be brutal heading into the November midterm elections: Voters are furious about inflation, they overwhelmingly believe the country is heading in the wrong direction, and President Biden is not at all a popular figure.

But based on recent polling, the issue matrix has shifted enough to provide Democrats some hope that they can limit some of their potential losses and outperform expectations, especially in statewide races for the U.S. Senate and governorships.

In an ironic twist, those issues giving them a fighting chance are what traditionally would be considered elements of the “culture wars” that Republicans previously considered their winning talking points. But a wave of mass shootings and the Supreme Court’s watershed ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade have vaulted gun violence and abortion rights way up the charts in terms of voter importance. Those two matters now rank just below the most important issue concerning voters: inflation and stabilizing the economy.

“Election 2022 will hinge on which party is able to show they are taking meaningful action to stabilize the economy, lower inflation costs (housing, gas, and food), reduce gun violence and protect a woman’s right to choose,” Joel Benenson and Neil Newhouse write in a summary of their new, bipartisan research.

Benenson ran polling for Barack Obama’s winning 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns. Newhouse went up against him in 2012 as Mitt Romney’s lead pollster. Over the past year, they have paired up to do regular research for Center Forward, a centrist think tank.

In late July, they studied voters in 14 battleground states, compiling both a traditional data set on all voters and then a 37-page examination of “non-prime voters” in those states — that is, people who do not vote in every election.

To be sure, Democrats have a huge hurdle to overcome on the economy. As most other polling has shown, voters are furious about runaway inflation. That’s easily the most animating issue in the nation, with 46 percent of voters saying “stabilizing” the economy is one of the two most important issues right now.

The pollsters found that 44 percent of voters “strongly disapprove” of Biden’s job performance, while only 19 percent “strongly approve,” and, furthermore, just 44 percent of Democrats “strongly approve” of Biden’s achievements.

That’s an upside-down position heading into midterms when Biden and Democrats will depend on motivating hardcore partisans to get to the polls.

“The softer they approve of the president,” Newhouse, a co-founder of Public Opinion Strategies, said, “the harder it is to turn them out.”

But their work also shows a surging interest among Democratic voters and many independents toward gun control and protecting abortion rights. It’s the type of polling and research that backs up what happened Tuesday in Kansas, when voters in the otherwise very conservative state overwhelmingly approved retaining abortion rights in their state constitution.

How Kansas became a bellwether for abortion rights

Benenson and Newhouse found that on that same voter-priority question, 26 percent chose “protecting a woman’s right” to abortion access as a top issue — essentially tying border security as the No. 2 issue, behind the economy. Just 9 percent of voters chose the antiabortion position as a top-tier issue, giving Democrats a big edge on this front.

Democratic voters in these battleground states now rank abortion rights as, far and away, their most important policy topic, selected by 45 percent as one of their two most important national issues. Perhaps more important for Democratic candidates, independent voters chose protecting abortion rights as their second-most important issue (trailing inflation/the economy), giving their candidates an opening to appeal to those voters.

Benenson, the CEO of Benenson Strategy Group, thinks Democrats can successfully paint certain GOP candidates as particularly extreme on the touchpoint cultural issue of abortion, particularly those who oppose exemptions for rape, incest and to save the life of the mother.

“When it comes to extremism, Republicans have the bigger problem as a party, not the Democrats,” Benenson said in a joint interview with Newhouse on Tuesday afternoon, before the Kansas results came in.

Earlier, in their October surveys, Newhouse and Benenson essentially foreshadowed the disastrous off-year elections in Virginia and New Jersey by noting how out of line the Democratic agenda and Democratic voter interests were with independent voters.

Independent voters in the fall chose the inflationary economy and border security as their top two issues, with pandemic recovery as their third issue; Democratic voters chose climate change, taxing the rich and pandemic recovery as their top concerns.

The agenda then — a more than $2 trillion package trying to reshape health care, battle climate change, improve child care, and other domestic issues — felt too big, too vast for middle-of-the-road voters who were worried about inflation.

“The conversation in Washington doesn’t match the conversation that’s happening around the country,” Newhouse said at the time.

Now, Democrats appear better aligned with independent voters on their issues.

Beyond just what should be the top priorities, the polling duo also measured issues on the basis of what will most motivate voters to choose candidates. Independents top motivators are, of course, addressing inflation and the economy, but their fourth and sixth most animating subject matters are stricter gun laws and protecting abortion rights.

Those latter two issues have now vaulted to the very top of the most motivating issues for Democrats, followed by inflation, while the perennial key issue for liberals, climate change, fell into the bottom tier.

(The pandemic, for what it’s worth, no longer concerns any voting bloc. Democrats, independents and Republicans are not ranking it among their 10 most motivating issues.)

Smart Democrats, however, are careful not to overstate these findings, because inflation and concerns about potential job losses in this shaky economy hugely dominate the mind-set of battleground voters.

If Biden and congressional Democrats cannot blunt some of the inflation anger, voters are likely to tune out their appeals on guns and abortion.

That’s why they have tried to rebrand the slimmed-down version of their agenda “the Inflation Reduction Act,” a compromise hashed out with Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and centrist Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W. Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).

Its key components include providing hundreds of billions in funding to battle climate change, allowing Medicare to negotiate for cheaper prescription drugs and shoring up health-care markets — while raising taxes on corporations to help reduce the deficit.

None of these measures will help slow inflation by the November elections, however, leaving Democrats vulnerable to the whims of global energy markets and clogged supply chains.

And independent voters do not rate the details of the Inflation Reduction Act as particularly important: lowering prescription drug prices came in ninth among motivating issues, according to Benenson and Newhouse, while climate change does not rank in the top 10.

How the Schumer-Manchin climate bill might affect you and change the U.S.

Democrats hope that this spate of recent legislative productivity — including bipartisan majorities passing laws to help the semiconductor industry and to help veterans of overseas wars who experience health problems — will appeal to their liberal base.

Those voters might not be able to save the House majority, which is being fought over in outer suburban and exurban districts. But if liberals in cities and inner suburbs turn out in bigger numbers than their current malaise suggests, Democratic candidates for Senate and governor could receive key boosts from what used to be the GOP’s secret weapon: cultural issues.

When it comes to non-prime voters, the pollsters discovered a particularly demoralized bloc. They love their country, but they view the political system as filled with candidates who do not represent their interests and see elections as often not worth the trouble.

These voters do lean toward Republicans, but they just are so cynical toward the system they probably won’t vote.

“The emotional barriers will be especially key to overcome,” Benenson and Newhouse write.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Yes , a Jewish Republican!
« Reply #1131 on: August 07, 2022, 05:29:49 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leora_Levy

though I do not like the Left wing Wikipedia which of course disparages another Republican :

who mostly sees fit point out she voted to censor cheney and kinzinger
and once called Trump : "criticized Donald Trump, saying at the time that he was "vulgar, ill-mannered and disparages those whom he cannot intimidate".[7] She later applauded Trump's leadership.[7]"

Trump now endorses her BTW

Of course they say nothing about her political beliefs

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
US Senate races
« Reply #1132 on: August 08, 2022, 07:18:44 AM »
RCP today:
46 R, 46D, 8 tossup:
Arizona, Nevada, Wisconsin, Georgia,
North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire.

Seems like all 8 of these are winnable for Republicans depending on the performance of the candidates.

I didn't know NC was in doubt.  What is the quality of the candidate?  PA is always tough.

The greatest significance of winning or losing is in the out years of the 6 year term.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: US Senate races
« Reply #1133 on: August 08, 2022, 07:19:50 AM »
I was told there was going to be a red wave. No?

RCP today:
46 R, 46D, 8 tossup:
Arizona, Nevada, Wisconsin, Georgia,
North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire.

Seems like all 8 of these are winnable for Republicans depending on the performance of the candidates.

I didn't know NC was in doubt.  What is the quality of the candidate?  PA is always tough.

The greatest significance of winning or losing is in the out years of the 6 year term.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 10, 2022, 05:07:21 AM »
Omar secured 50.5% of the vote, while Samuels won 48% of the vote, as of 9:21 p.m. on Tuesday, with 96.8% of votes counted. The race was separated by a few thousand votes.
   - fox 9 news mpls

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Restore regular order!
« Reply #1136 on: August 11, 2022, 02:55:59 AM »
Congress is broken. It can be fixed. Avoidance of regular order and process is its cancer By Michael McKenna

A few days ago, in an unintentionally hilarious self-parody, a senior executive at the electric truck maker Rivian complained that the tax credits in Sen. Joe Manchin III’s reconciliation legislation weren’t going to work for the company because none of the pickup trucks the company makes sell for less than $80,000 — which means they don’t qualify for the tax credit in the law.

While the income and price limits in the Manchin-led spending legislation are pretty generous, they apparently are not generous enough for some. It’s bad enough that Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, Rhode Island Democrat, suggested that the entire section may need to be rewritten.

The Rivian official and Mr. Whitehouse have a point. Because reconciliation was negotiated by two people — Mr. Manchin, West Virginia Democrat, and Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York — and did not go through regular order, its defects are being discovered essentially on the fly.

The routine avoidance of regular order and process is a cancer on the Congress. Regular order — when legislation works its way through subcommittees and committees before reaching the floor, where the entire House or Senate can consider amendments and ultimately vote — is essential for a number of reasons.

First, regular order makes legislation more durable. The CHIPS legislation, which gave $75 billion to the already very profitable semiconductor industry, may not be this generation’s Missouri Compromise, but its provisions will survive because it went through regular order, was improved by the amendment process, and, as a result, was supported by both Republicans and Democrats.

In comparison, many of the reconciliation provisions will not survive past the next moment when the Republicans control Congress and the presidency. That could come as soon as 29 months from now.

It is understandable that interest groups want to grab as much cash as they can as fast as they can. But the lack of regular order means, in the long run, that tax credits for wind, solar and other types of alternative generation, as well as electric vehicles, will become entirely subject to political vagaries. Good luck with that.

Second, regular order makes legislation better. If Rivian and Mr. Whitehouse had the opportunity to make their case and vote during the process, they would not be reduced to scrambling to fix legislative text that they saw for the first time just before the Senate started voting. The proposal is a substantive dumpster fire (who raises taxes in a recession?) in large part because it did not go through regular order. No one — on either side — had any chance to improve it because there was no process.

Third, regular order helps individual senators and House members better represent their constituencies and retain power and autonomy. When legislative substance and details are worked out by leadership and the vast majority of senators or House members are presented at the last minute with completed — if poorly drafted — legislation, there is no meaningful opportunity for lawmakers to participate and represent their constituents’ interests.

Finally, because regular order allows opponents of a bill the opportunity to be heard and to have their legitimate concerns addressed, it reduces the natural friction between factions.

Sunday’s reconciliation theater in the Senate was merely the latest in a long series of arrogations of power by congressional leadership. This lastminute, everything-in-one bill, deus ex machina approach to legislating is, not surprisingly, most prevalent when the legislative provisions are most controversial. It reduces the quality of legislation, disenfranchises voters, diminishes lawmakers, creates friction and produces ephemeral and transitory policy. If lawmakers want to retain their ability to represent their constituents, preserve their power, revivify the legislative process and ensure that Congress continues as a functional, co-equal branch of the federal government, they should commit to not voting for any legislation — from any party — that has not gone through regular order. Legislative outcomes would improve dramatically, and the ability of U.S. lawmakers to meaningfully represent their constituents would be enhanced.

It is the only way to arrest Congress’s long, slow slide toward institutional obsolescence.

Michael McKenna, a columnist for The Washington Times, co-hosts “The Unregulated podcast.” He was most recently a deputy assistant to the president and deputy director of the Office of Legislative Affairs at the White House.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 12, 2022, 08:05:23 AM »
Liz Cheney will be out of her *present job*

she will be taken care of in other ways

maybe work with Christie Todd Whitman on the rino party
being formed with Andrew Wang

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Goodbye Liz Cheney
« Reply #1140 on: August 16, 2022, 05:12:38 AM »
Soon to be former Congresswoman (not)  from Wyoming,  the people who praise her are those who would never vote for her.   Democrats latest tact is to choose who represents Republicans.   Robert Reich is as liberal as they come.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/16/liz-cheney-politicians-stand-by-principles

One "principle"  she forgot while working as a representative in Washington in representative government was to to represent the will of her constituents.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:49:39 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 16, 2022, 05:27:52 AM »
robert reich is a shrimp masquerading as a nut

"In praise of Liz Cheney. May we have more politicians like her
Robert Reich"

of course, like all Dems, they only praise Republicans who bash their own party and agree with them on important issues.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Alaska and Wyoming
« Reply #1142 on: August 16, 2022, 06:03:38 AM »
CAMPAIGN 2022

Murkowski likely to avoid Cheney’s fate in elections

Trump wrath purges GOP opponents

BY SETH MCLAUGHLIN THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska are set Tuesday to test their mettle against the Trump-fueled primary buzz saw that has ripped through the Republican Party this election cycle, separating Trump opponents from their political careers.

Ms. Cheney and Ms. Murkowski have been vocal critics of former President Donald Trump, but they appear to be on very different electoral paths against their Trump-backed rivals. Ms. Cheney is staring at near certain defeat in the winner-take-all primary in deep-red Wyoming. Ms. Murkowski is well-positioned to fight another day in Alaska’s ranked-choice primary.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, meanwhile, is looking to ride the pro-Trump wave back into electoral politics in a special election to replace the late Rep. Don Young.

The primary races, in other words, are shaping up as the latest barometer of Mr. Trump’s political clout.

Mr. Trump’s grip on the Republican Party has been undeniable since his tumultuous exit from office. Most party leaders, possible 2024 presidential

contenders and rank-and-file lawmakers have stuck with him.

Mr. Trump also has had tremendous success purging elected Republicans he deemed disloyal, scaring some away from seeking reelection and helping to oust others in party primaries.

As it stands, seven of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Mr. Trump on charges of inciting the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol will not be returning to Congress.

“Overall, in terms of Trump’s endorsement, he has done pretty well this year,” said J. Miles Coleman of the University of Virginia Center for Politics. “He has had some setbacks in places like Georgia, but it has been largely positive for him.”

Mr. Trump is looking to notch more wins in Alaska, where Ms. Palin is locked in a competitive race for the House with Nick Begich III. Democrat Mary Peltola is also running and is hoping to shake up the race.

Ms. Palin endorsed Mr. Trump early in the 2016 Republican presidential race, and Mr. Trump returned the favor this year. He said Ms. Palin has been a warrior against corruption in state government and the “Fake News Media.”

Ms. Palin resigned as governor in 2009 after she electrified the base of the Republican Party — and horrified Democrats — as Sen. John McCain’s feisty and folksy running mate a year earlier.

Republicans are expected to defend the House seat in November when Ms. Palin, Mr. Begich and Ms. Peltola are likely to face off again — along with a fourth candidate — for the chance to serve a full two-year term.

Ms. Murkowski also is under the spotlight in Alaska.

Of the seven Senate Republicans who voted to convict Mr. Trump after his House impeachment trial on charges of inciting insurrection with the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, she is the only one to face voters this year.

Mr. Trump is backing Republican Kelly Tshibaka in the 19-candidate primary battle.

Ms. Murkowski, who lost her primary in 2010 before winning as a write-in candidate, stands to benefit from the state’s new ranked-choice primary system, in which the top four vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, advance to the general election.

The two pro-impeachment House Republicans — Reps. David G. Valadao of California and Dan Newhouse of Washington — who survived their primaries come from states with somewhat similar open primary systems.

Ms. Cheney doesn’t have that luxury in her winner-take-all primary in Wyoming. Her critics say her anti-Trump actions have rendered her ineffective.

Her future has been in limbo since she joined nine House Republican colleagues in voting to impeach Mr. Trump on charges of inciting the Capitol riot in an effort to block Congress’ certification of Joseph R. Biden’s presidential election victory.

Combined with her refusal to back off her criticism of Mr. Trump and his claims of a stolen election, her impeachment vote has not aged well.

Ms. Cheney, a daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, was ousted from House Republican leadership and censured by the Wyoming Republican Party and the Republican National Committee.

Ms. Cheney’s decision to serve as vice chair of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot further alienated her from the Republican base.

Nonetheless, Ms. Cheney welcomed the fight against Mr. Trump and his hand-picked candidate, Harriet Hageman, saying, “Bring it on.” She said it is time to “elect serious leaders” and Mr. Trump’s “poisonous lies” threaten to destroy the nation.

Ms. Cheney is heading into big trouble on Tuesday.

“I think Wyoming is going to be a pretty open-and-shut case,” Mr. Coleman said. “It is admirable that she is willing to stand on principle, but electorally that is just not the message a Republican electorate is going to want to hear — being anti-Trump.”

Things have looked so dire for Ms. Cheney that speculation has been running rampant for weeks, even months, over whether she might run for president in 2024, lead some sort of anti-Trump group or join the ranks of the television talking heads.

The Wyoming Survey and Analysis Center released a poll of likely Republican primary voters last week showing Ms. Hageman, a former Cheney supporter and member of the Republican National Committee, was leading by 30 percentage points.

“Wyoming is fed up with Liz Cheney because she’s made the election about her and her own personal war with President Trump,” said Tim Murtaugh, a Hageman adviser. “Wyoming wants someone who will fight against the awful Biden administration, not do the Democrats’ dirty work, and that’s why Harriet Hageman will be the next congresswoman from Wyoming.”

Ms. Cheney closed out her campaign with a warning about what she called Mr. Trump’s war against the truth and his influence over the party.

“Like many candidates across this country, my opponents in Wyoming have said that the 2020 election was rigged and stolen,” she said in her closing campaign ad. “No one who understands our nation’s laws, no one with an honest, honorable, genuine commitment to our Constitution would say that. It is a cancer that threatens our great republic.

“If we do not condemn these lies, if we do not hold those responsible to account, we will be excusing this conduct and it will become a feature of all elections,” she said. “America will never be the same.”

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Liz
« Reply #1144 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:16 AM »
Could easily give 1000 to 1 odds she will live in Virginia and work for liberal media and not live in Wyoming and work in the free enterprise private sector.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Liz
« Reply #1145 on: August 16, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »
Could easily give 1000 to 1 odds she will live in Virginia and work for liberal media and not live in Wyoming and work in the free enterprise private sector.

Exactly.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 16, 2022, 12:17:47 PM »
That Republican Celebrity Candidates piece is devastating.

Trump's hands are all over those choices.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Liz Cheney out
« Reply #1147 on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:11 AM »
The result I saw was 66 - 29%.  She conceded with 23% of the vote counted.   Even Democrats couldn't hold their nose for her.   Least surprised person was Liz Cheney.   She raised record $15 million and didn't spend it. Biggest loser is Dick Cheney's legacy.   Liz would need a map to drive the state.   One (of50) states she won't win if she runs for President is Wyoming,  especially after she sells her alleged property in liberal Teton County,  where the rich from out of state bought the most scenic properties.

Coincidentally,  she is now worth $15 million.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-liz-cheney-worth-113011842.html

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Liz Cheney out
« Reply #1148 on: August 17, 2022, 09:13:04 AM »
https://ace.mu.nu/archives/misspiggy.png

https://ace.mu.nu/archives/400519.php

The result I saw was 66 - 29%.  She conceded with 23% of the vote counted.   Even Democrats couldn't hold their nose for her.   Least surprised person was Liz Cheney.   She raised record $15 million and didn't spend it. Biggest loser is Dick Cheney's legacy.   Liz would need a map to drive the state.   One (of50) states she won't win if she runs for President is Wyoming,  especially after she sells her alleged property in liberal Teton County,  where the rich from out of state bought the most scenic properties.

Coincidentally,  she is now worth $15 million.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-liz-cheney-worth-113011842.html

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 17, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »
what a goof

Trump is not the one who is destroying out country our republic and our way of life

it is the people she now crows with who are doing that and trying to dictate to us and
convert this nation into a socialist state beholden to the PARTY and its ap·pa·rat·chik

what a dope.....

wait till she finds out dems will drop her like stone from tower of Pisa
as soon as her usefulness to them is over ....

Trump and MAGA are threat to the Union like slavery was in 1863.  :roll:

this is the real problem here :

‘Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned’

all logic sense of reality lost in rage anger and denial
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:26:38 AM by ccp »