Author Topic: The US Congress; Congressional races  (Read 303534 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
First, the previous post in this thread is outstanding, Mia Love proposing that bills need to cover one subject at a time.   It's good to see her make an impact.
----------------------------------------
ccp wrote (on Rubio thread):  Do you think Ryan would be the kind of Senator like Reid - somehow when he is in either the majority or minority seems to get his way?

Ryan got a bad start as Speaker of the House with the current budget.  Don't be fooled by that, IMHO.  That happened for a number of reasons that are now behind us.  I expect Speaker Ryan to release soon an agenda more detailed and positive than Newt's Contract with America.  I assume it will include the framework for tax reform.

[I wonder if you meant Senate Leader Mitch McConnell.  I don't believe McConnell is a bad guy or a Rino, but it is time for new leadership there too.]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/12/03/paul-ryan-sets-his-agenda-make-america-confident-again/
Paul Ryan:  "On tax reform, perhaps the issue closest to Ryan’s own heart, he pledged to pursue changes that would relentlessly eliminate loopholes and lower rates — and not to be intimidated by the big businesses and special interests who originally wrote them into law.

“The only way to fix our tax code is to simplify, simplify, simplify,” he said. “Look, I know people like many of these loopholes, and they have their reasons. But there are so many of them that now the tax code is like a to-do list — Washington’s to-do list. … I also know many of these loopholes will be fiercely defended. All I can say is we will not be cowed. We are not here to smooth things over. We are here to shake things up."

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:48:42 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2016, 03:51:26 AM »
Thanks Doug.

But you can understand my qualms. Besides the DEms who just want to shame freedom, steal, spend, and buy with other people's money and the Repubs who are in endless retreat I have learned not to trust they mean what they say or for that matter, do what they say.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Marco Rubio's Senate seat
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
is at high risk.  My nephew who is no longer with Bobby Jindal is I think working with
Carlos Lopez-Cantera for the time being.  I have to check.  There are two Carlos's who are running.  One is labeled a Charlie Crist candidate (we certainly don't need another one of that turncoat).  But the other one is behind the Democrat in the polls:

http://shark-tank.com/2016/02/09/another-charlie-crist-republican-to-run-for-u-s-senate-in-florida/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2016, 10:13:57 AM »
It isn't just a chance Democrats will take the Senate, it is a better than 50% likelihood.
http://prospect.org/article/nine-battleground-states-could-flip-senate-and-supreme-court

DDF

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
It isn't just a chance Democrats will take the Senate, it is a better than 50% likelihood.
http://prospect.org/article/nine-battleground-states-could-flip-senate-and-supreme-court

I doubt it. Would you like to wager? I'll bet you 500 pesos. If I lose, I'll pay.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Fk!!!! :-o :-o :-o

What is the breakdown on this?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »

I doubt it. Would you like to wager? I'll bet you 500 pesos. If I lose, I'll pay.

Thanks DDF.  My point is only that R's are swimming upstream, not that they can't or won't pull it off.  If the R's either lose the Pres.election or win just because people hate and don't trust the Dem, then there will be enough Dem voters out there to easily take back the Senate.  R's are defending 24 seats and Dems 10.(?)  Of the 9 closest raises, 7 involve a Dem gain and 2 are possible R pickups.  If this is a Presidential election turnout year and the R is not successfully reaching out and changing a few hearts and minds, then the Senate goes to the Dems.  Republicans will need a successful, positive message to win the White House, and failing that they will lose not only the Presidency but the also the Senate and the  Judiciary, for generations to come, with it.  

Crafty, please read the article linked:

Nine Battleground States that Could Flip the Senate -- and the Supreme Court

PETER DREIER FEBRUARY 14, 2016
Here’s the rundown of the key battleground states:

New Hampshire: First-termer Kelly Ayotte is probably the most vulnerable Republican in the Senate. She’s facing a strong opponent in popular Democratic Governor Maggie Hassan, who announced her Senate bid in October. New Hampshire voters have supported Democrats in five of the past six presidential races. This gives Hassan an edge. Possible Democratic pickup.

Wisconsin: Incumbent Ron Johnson is another vulnerable Republican seeking re-election. The billionaire invested about $9 million of his own money to beat Senator Russ Feingold by a small margin in 2010, a midterm election. Feingold is now seeking to regain his former seat and has the advantage of this being a presidential year, where Democratic turnout is likely to be higher than six years ago. Obama carried Wisconsin with 53 percent of the vote in 2008 and 56 percent four years later. Possible Democratic pickup.

Illinois: Republican Mark Kirk rode the GOP wave to victory in 2010, but this year he’s facing a tight race for re-election in a state where voters typically support a Democrat for president and where the other Senate seat is held by Dick Durbin, a popular Democrat. Representative Tammy Duckworth is likely to be the Democratic candidate for Senate. An Iraq War veteran, Duckworth served as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and suffered severe combat wounds, losing both of her legs and damaging her right arm. She was elected to Congress in 2012 and re-elected two years later. Right now she is leading Kirk in most of the statewide polls, and Kirk is considered the underdog. Possible Democratic pickup.

Colorado: Democrats believe it is crucial to hold onto this Senate seat, currently held by Michael Bennet, who is running for re-election. He was appointed to that seat in 2009 by Governor Bill Ritter when Ken Salazar became secretary of the Interior. Bennet won the seat on his own in 2010, narrowly defeating Republican Ken Buck. There is no clear frontrunner among Republicans seeking the party’s nomination, which gives Bennet an advantage. Obama carried Colorado in both 2008 and 2012, but it is still considered a swing state in the current presidential race. Bennet will need a strong Democratic turnout to stay in office. Tossup.

Ohio: Republican incumbent Rob Portman is running for re-election. His likely Democratic opponent, former Governor Ted Strickland, is currently leading Portman in the polls. Strickland won a landslide victory for governor in 2006 but lost a close race to John Kasich four years later. This will be an intense battleground state in both the presidential and Senate races. Tossup.

A strong Democratic turnout could doom Toomey’s re-election bid and help the Democratss take back the Senate.
Pennsylvania: The Republican incumbent Patrick Toomey wants to stay in the Senate, but he is not a very popular politician in this state. The two leading Democrats are Katie McGinty (former chief of staff to Governor Tom Wolf) and former Representative Joe Sestak, whom Toomey narrowly defeated six years ago as part of the GOP wave. Pennsylvania will also see a highly competitive race for president, even though a GOP presidential candidate hasn’t won Pennsylvania since 1988. A strong Democratic turnout could doom Toomey’s re-election bid and help the Democratss take back the Senate. Possible Democratic pickup.

Nevada: Democrat Harry Reid, who has served in the Senate since 1987 and was its majority leader from 2007 to 2014, is not seeking re-election, so this is a wide open seat. Reid was lucky that in 2010 the Republicans nominated Tea Party extremist Sharron Angle as their Senate candidate. She was an ineffective campaigner and Reid beat her by a 55 percent to 45 percent margin, but many analysts believed he would be vulnerable to defeat this year if the Republicans put up a better opponent. After bowing out, Reid recruited former Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto to run for the seat as the Democratic nominee. She will likely face Representative Joe Heck in the general election in what promises to be one of the most competitive Senate races in the country. Tossup; possible GOP pickup.

Florida: This is another state where the incumbent is not running for re-election. Marco Rubio is seeking the GOP nomination for president, leaving the seat vacant. Florida will be one of the most hotly-contested states for both president and Senate. Both parties hold their primaries on August 30, which will make this a prolonged battleground state. Until recently, it looked like Representative Alan Grayson, a charismatic progressive, had the edge to win the Democratic nomination, but he now faces a scandal over his business practices, having operated a hedge fund while serving in Congress. Several of his key campaign staffers have resigned. Some top Democrats, including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, have called on Grayson to quit the race. If he does, that would make Representative Patrick Murphy the favorite to win the Democratic nomination. He’ll have a slight edge over any of the likely GOP candidates, who include Lieutenant Governor Carlos Lopez-Cantera, Representatives Ron DeSantis and David Jolly, and defense contractor Todd Wilcox, a former Special Forces commander and CIA veteran. Tossup; possible Democratic pickup.

Arizona: It is possible that Arizona voters are getting tired of Republican John McCain, who has served in the Senate since 1987 and was the GOP’s losing presidential nominee in 2008. Political handicappers give McCain an edge but predict that he’ll have the toughest re-election fight of his career and could be defeated if the Democrats nominate a strong candidate and invest the money needed to run a good campaign. He is likely to run against Representative Ann Kirkpatrick, the toughest Democratic challenger he has ever faced. A strong Democratic turnout, especially among women, could give Kirkpatrick a victory. Tossup; longshot Democratic pickup.

In two additional states, Republican incumbents—Missouri’s Roy Blunt and North Carolina’s Richard Burr—could face tough re-election bids, but the political prognosticators think these Senate seats will remain in GOP hands. In Indiana, Republican incumbent Dan Coats is stepping down, but it will be difficult for a Democrat to win that open seat unless they come up with a very strong candidate and voter turnout among low-income, minority, and young voters reaches record levels.  

Bottom line: In a high turnout election, Democrats have a better-than-even chance for a net pickup of at least four seats. Filibusters are still allowed to block Supreme Court confirmations. However, with a newly elected Democratic president and Senate, it’s not clear that Republicans would take that risk, especially since rules can be changed with a simple majority. We all knew how consequential this year’s election will be. With Scalia’s death, it just got even more consequential.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:39:24 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kudlow out
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
Kudlow was getting destroyed in Connecticut by Blumenthal.  Not surprised though I am no fan of the lib Blumenthal or his Obamacare brother:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/senate/#

Also Rubio's seat may be taken by Dems.   :-o

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congressional races, The fight for the Senate, 2016
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
WI (WPR): Feingold 51, Johnson 41
NH (UNH): Ayotte 43, Hassan 42

2016 Generic Congressional Vote
Democrats45.0, Republicans44.0, Democrats +1.0
Real Clear Politics average

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; Congressional races, Paul Ryan's agenda
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
"The principle for tax reform is get the cronyism out of the code, give people more power, lower rates, make us more competitive for faster growth of the and on health care, put the patient in charge," Ryan said. "Let she and her doctor be in charge of deciding their health care. Give people more choices, more insurance competition."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/paul-ryan-trump-gop-vision-222523#ixzz473Co29MI

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:28:38 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DDF

« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-latinos-mccain-222810

A couple things:

1. McCain is clearly wrong when he states that all of the Latinos on social media and the news are against Trump. That's clearly false.

2. Should we really be worried about what career politicians want? (To me, career politicians are the problem.... look no further than Hilary....party is irrelevant).

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »

A couple things:

1. McCain is clearly wrong when he states that all of the Latinos on social media and the news are against Trump. That's clearly false.

2. Should we really be worried about what career politicians want? (To me, career politicians are the problem.... look no further than Hilary....party is irrelevant).

Juan McCain's claims are bogus.

DDF

« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »

A couple things:

Juan McCain's claims are bogus.

"Juan....." I see what you did there. Fantastic.  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tom Cotton unloads on Mr. Cleanface
« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onhm6zcL3Pw

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onhm6zcL3Pw[/youtube]

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »
 :-o :-o :-o :lol:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Ryan's challenger
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/08/05/paul-ryan-congressional-challenger-shariah-compliant-muslims-should-be-deported/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%208-5-16%20FINAL%20-%20no%20ad&utm_term=Firewire

Interesting, but:

1)  Can Paul Ryan's challenger even hold the seat in that majority Democrat district, Janesville, WI?

2)  Do we have a better idea who can be Speaker of the House?  We already tried to find one.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »
Regarding the previous post in the thread, Paul Ryan won his primary over a Trump challenger by 70 points, 85-15.

ccp:  "How bad do the Congressional and Senate races look?  I mean at least if Repubs can at least keep those.  Unless something changes the damage Trump has done to himself is going to result in a electoral landslide.  So say the Presidency is gone and the Sup Ct. ...."

I'm not following it closely but it seems the R's hold the House under all known scenarios and the Senate has been completely up for grabs from the beginning.

Dems need +5 in the Senate (for 51) if Trump wins and +4 (for 50-50) if Hillary wins.  Either way it is a divided Senate and the rules regarding what votes need 60 to pass will determine policy and confirmations

R's are Vulnerable in WI (Ron Johnson), IL (Kirk), IN (Coates retiring), Ohio (Portman), NH (Ayotte), North Carolina (Burr), Florida (Rubio)?  Rubio winning might be the key.  Possible pickup in Nevada, that would change everything.  Portman running very independent from Trump in Ohio. 

The big turn is Evan Bayh running in Indiana, a very possible Dem pickup.  If that seat is lost, R's need to nearly run the table on the other contested races.

Huffington Post has it as Dem victory:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-78-percent-chance-50-senate-seats_us_57b8a525e4b0b51733a3cda0

Possible flaws in their math are, 1) a Trump comeback, these polls were possibly taken at a low point,  2) the Hillary enthusiasm gap doesn't go away even if she wins a lesser of two evils race, Presidential year assumptions on turnout may be false,  3) Republican money that doesn't like Trump is largely going into these Senate races, 4) if people see a Hillary landslide they may prefer a divided ticket for a check on Clinton's abuse of power.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »
Schultz won - 
God almighty.  We can never rid ourselves of these scumbags like her and Barbara Boxer and the rest of the liberal mobsters:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politics/john-mccain-debbie-wasserman-schultz-marco-rubio-primary/index.html

They are like bad nightmares that just won't leave us alone.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congressional races, this year's most consequential Senate race
« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
Pennsylvania, Pat Toomey vs. Katie McGinty, with it goes the control of the Senate...

http://triblive.com/opinion/georgewill/11148508-74/toomey-senate-probably

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Senate passes unwritten bill?!?
« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
Washington at Its Worst: Senate Passes Non-Existent Bill
Commentary By Rachel Bovard, Daily Signal,  9/21/16

A 10-year veteran of congressional policy battles, Rachel Bovard is The Heritage Foundation’s director of policy services.

On Tuesday night the Senate voted to proceed to the Continuing Resolution (CR), a bill that will allegedly fund the government until Dec. 9.

The only problem is that there isn’t actually a bill yet.

There is no text. There is no agreement between Democrats and Republicans on what the bill will fund — Planned Parenthood, the Export-Import Bank, control of the Internet — all of it remains a mystery.

Yet the Senate voted 89 – 7 to proceed to this non-existent bill..

The Senate operates under complex parliamentary rules that require a series of votes in order to “proceed to” or “get onto” a bill. The vote Tuesday night was the first in what will be a series of votes on the continuing resolution or spending bill.

Despite Senate leadership’s protests to the contrary, a vote to proceed to a bill that’s not yet written is, in fact, a substantive act — particularly when there is so much at stake.

And Senate leadership tried to pitch this as simply a process vote. Sen. Mitch McConnell’s, R-Ky., communications director tweeted that this vote was “just procedural” and “not a vote on the CR” or on Zika funding. Various reporters tweeted that this was just a vote on a “shell bill,” and that the text of the continuing resolution would be crafted at a later date.

But the fact still remains: on Tuesday, the Senate voted to proceed to a bill that does not yet exist.

Forget not being able to read it, or not having time to digest the policy at hand. The bill does not exist.

Despite Senate leadership’s protests to the contrary, a vote to proceed to a bill that’s not yet written is, in fact, a substantive act — particularly when there is so much at stake. The continuing resolution will be the battleground for major policies, like whether or not Planned Parenthood will receive Zika funding, if the Export-Import Bank can send taxpayer dollars to fund Boeing deals with Iran, or if the U.S. will lose control of the Internet.

All of these deals have yet to be struck (although press reports suggest that Republicans have already caved to Democrats on Planned Parenthood funding). What the Senate did Tuesday was to give the go-ahead to Senate leadership to strike those deals on their behalf. Each of the 89 senators who voted to proceed to text that they’ve never seen yielded their authority to have input on the deal, to influence the outcome of a major funding bill.

This is not just a procedural vote, and it is wrong to describe it as such. Voting to proceed to a bill is as much a substantive act as voting on the bill — different, but still substantive. In this case, the Senate voted to proceed to whatever backroom deal their leadership happens to strike.

As Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., explained his “no” vote to Congressional Quarterly, “We don’t have that text yet. It’s important that we do have that and we do know the direction that it’s going when we get to that spot.”

Lankford is right about why senators must have text before beginning any vote series, procedural or otherwise — you can’t approve the start of a process without knowing first where it’s going to end.

The McConnell-Reid era has witnessed a Senate that is less transparent, where individual members are less aware of their rights, and where there is a growing centralization of power in the Leader’s office. Tuesday’s vote was another step in that direction.

Individual senators are all equal in authority — with the same rights and the same access to the Senate rules. Senators would do well to keep that in mind next time their leadership says, “Trust us,” and tells them to approve moving forward on a bill they have yet to see.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »
I cannot tell.  Do Repubs have 51 or 52 Senate seats?  Every time I look it up it says 51 to 48.

Does anyone know what is going on?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »
I cannot tell.  Do Repubs have 51 or 52 Senate seats?  Every time I look it up it says 51 to 48.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I believe it's 51.  Kelly Ayotte conceded today in NH.  The 48 probably excludes an 'independent' Dem.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
There is a run off in LA in December.  My understanding is a strong likelihood the Rep will win.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 11, 2016, 08:41:31 AM »
CD interesting to see there is a way to get around the fillibuster.  If the Repubs really can do this -> they MUST.   There may not be another chance and we KNOW the Dems would do the same and will endlessly hammer us with ZERO mercy.

THEY have turned this into a war.  Not us.  So we must fight back using all legal means.

If we learn nothing else over the last 24 years starting with the Clinton crime mob we should have learned this.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
CD interesting to see there is a way to get around the fillibuster.  If the Repubs really can do this -> they MUST.   There may not be another chance and we KNOW the Dems would do the same and will endlessly hammer us with ZERO mercy.

THEY have turned this into a war.  Not us.  So we must fight back using all legal means.

If we learn nothing else over the last 24 years starting with the Clinton crime mob we should have learned this.

If there is any lesson from the last election, it is that we must be as ruthless as our opponents. The nice, civil approach only empowers our enemies.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
US Senate Races 2018. The shoe is on the other foot.
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »
These races will affect pressure on legislative votes in 2017.

Democrats will be defending MANY seats in states that Trump won and almost won.

Joe Donnelly, Indiana, vulnerable

Claire McCaskill, Missouri, One of the few to openly back Hillary.

Jon Testor, Montana, partisan Democrat in a Trump state.

Heidi Heitkamp, North Dakota

Joe Manchin, West Virginia.

Bill Nelson, Florida, possible retirement.

Sherrod Brown, Ohio, the only thing left in Ohio that is ultra liberal

Tammy Baldwin, Wisconsin, ultra liberal in a Trump state.  Scott Walker may run against her.

Tim Kaine, Virginia.  A Trump target?

12 possibly vulnerable Dems, 2 vulnerable Republicans, Flake, Arizona, Heller, Nevada.

I wrote previously that 60 R votes in the Senate ever is impossible.  I would like to retract that.

Debbie Stabenow, Michigan

Bob Casey, Pennsylvania, elected Trump and Toomey in a Presidential year

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
2018 Congressional races
« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
I know I am going to nauseate some by *already* looking at 2018 but there could be 10 vulnerable Democrats slots vs only 2 vulnerable Republican slots up for Senate seats in '18:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/8/1482081/-Looking-Ahead-Preliminary-Projections-for-2018-Senate-Elections
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:05:22 PM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Pat Toomey's very different path to Victory in Pennsylvania than Trump's
« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »
Amazingly the same small margin of victory with different voters, many crossover votes. Different candidates, different strategies.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442331/pennsylvania-2016-election-results-donald-trumps-pat-toomeys-wins

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Dems still have "de facto" control in Senate
« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
One of my alma mater's magazine
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
had article on Harry Reid who got his law degree there in '64. 
In my view he is not a likable character but one can judge for him or her self.  Didn't know he married a Jewish girl:

http://magazine.gwu.edu/rumble-and-sway

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Term Limits
« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »
Excellent discussion BD.

In a closely related vein here is a post I made on a thread on a different forum about Cruz's proposed Term Limits Amendment:

Due to the unusual trajectory of my life I happen to have substantial background in things pertaining to Mexico, including serious academic study in the US and Mexico, work experience in Mexico, and a helluva a lot of flight time, much of it in places not many Americans go. From this background I would offer the following:

Superficially, Mexico's political structure tracks ours quite closely with one very important difference-- no one can be re-elected. The net result is that the Congress has no institutional memory whatsoever (i.e. no one there was there before) which greatly magnifies the power of the President (one six year term) and his bureaucracy. It also makes the parties quite powerful because each Congressman/Senator knows he must go back to his party for his next job when his term is up.

The point is that the length of permisable incumbency is very important. IMHO the Cruz bill cuts things too short. I would rather see 18 years for Senate and 12 for Congress.

PS:  An additional thought:

Back in 84', '88, and '92 when I was running for Congress for the Libertarian Party, the incumbency rate for the House of Representatives was 98% or so. This was due to gerrymandering. Perhaps the real issue is the lack of competitive districts due to gerrymandering.

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2017, 02:19:34 AM »
"Back in 84', '88, and '92 when I was running for Congress for the Libertarian Party, the incumbency rate for the House of Representatives was 98% or so. This was due to gerrymandering. Perhaps the real issue is the lack of competitive districts due to gerrymandering."

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41545.pdf

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2017, 04:37:13 AM »
Interesting article BD
I wonder how much is the money in politics as well as gerrymandering that
1)  allows members to keep winning
2) motivates them to stay in

Are careerists better for us rather than citizen representatives?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
Welcome to the last week of the Obama presidency. It’s Inauguration Week, a time turn the page and leave behind the mistakes of the past… and to look ahead with new confidence to the mistakes of the future.

No Filibuster For Any Judicial Nominees?

Back in 2005, then-senators Barack Obama and Harry Reid voted to filibuster the confirmation vote on Supreme Court justice nominee Samuel Alito. They didn’t have the votes. This year, White House press secretary Josh Earnest declared that Obama regretted his actions then.  Then in 2013, Reid and the rest of the Senate Democrats ended the right to filibuster any nominee to federal appeals and district courts, as well as any cabinet appointments, but kept it in place for Supreme Court nominations.

Then in October of 2016, Harry Reid, predicting a Hillary Clinton presidency, said he would invoke the nuclear option and eliminate the filibuster for Supreme Court nominations as well.

“It’s clear to me that if the Republicans try to filibuster another circuit court judge, but especially a Supreme Court justice, I’ve told ‘em how and I’ve done it, not just talking about it. I did it in changing the rules of the Senate. It’ll have to be done again,” Reid told the liberal blog Talking Points Memo. “They mess with the Supreme Court, it’ll be changed just like that in my opinion.”

And now, today…surprise, surprise, the shoe is on the other foot, and Senate Republicans may nuke the filibuster for Trump’s nominee.

Democrats have not firmly said if they will filibuster a nominee -- and Republicans have not flatly said they would break that filibuster through a rules change known as the “nuclear option” -- but those cards are effectively on the table, weeks before Trump submits a nominee.  But the Trump team is still plotting for a possible climb that includes picking off at least eight Democrats, a tall order by any measure, much less a vacant seat on the Supreme Court.
Pence went to work on a group of six senators at the Capitol Wednesday and Trump aides have been working behind the scenes at the Capitol.

“Today was really about talking about our legislative agenda, but also meeting with members of the Senate to get their input on the president’s decision about filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court,” Pence told reporters last week.

Pence said he “hopes” moderate Democrats will come on board with his pick.

“The President-elect made very clear today we do expect -- he’s not yet made a decision -- but we’re in the process of winnowing that list now,” Pence said.
The 60-vote bar has been somewhat informally set by Schumer himself, who told MSNBC last week that he would “absolutely” do all he could to keep the Supreme Court seat open.

And the threat of a filibuster was clearly on the minds of lawmakers as Pence tested their feelings on the Supreme Court nomination.

Once you’ve nuked the filibuster for all nominations… how long does the Senate majority keep it around for legislation?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
This is a good article and a great topic.

"Senate Democrats ended the right to filibuster any nominee to federal appeals and district courts, as well as any cabinet appointments, but kept it in place for Supreme Court nominations."
"Once you’ve nuked the filibuster for all nominations… how long does the Senate majority keep it around for legislation?"

That misses the main point.  It is not they they ended the filibuster for this and not for that, the point is that they declared the rules of the US Senate  changeable at any time for any reason.  And now they regret it.   'ya think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:19:20 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sen Sherrod Brown of Ohio opposing Gorsuch
« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:35 AM »
Sen Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio must not be running for re-election in Trump's Ohio.

He has already opposed Gorsuch confirmation.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-gird-for-supreme-court-battle-1485920688
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:33:42 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The US Congress; US Senate races, 2018
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Democrats must defend 10 seats in states Trump won.
Besides making it hard to flip the Senate, this affects how vigorously they can oppose his agenda and his Supreme Court nominees.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-foes-democratic-gains-remain-elusive-2018-45281488

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/306210-10-senate-seats-that-could-flip-in-2018