Author Topic: Education  (Read 261721 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
How I opened to Charter
« Reply #500 on: May 26, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »
How My Mind Opened to Charter Schools
Too many teachers oppose them because they’re bad for unions, not kids.
By George Parker
May 26, 2021 12:17 pm ET

The hug took me by surprise. I’d just finished speaking to a group of third-graders about my role as teachers union president when a little girl suddenly wrapped her arms around me and squeezed. Confused, I asked her why. She looked up and told me, “Because you said you care about us and you make sure we have the best teachers.” She was sweet and sincere. She had no idea my words were mostly detached from reality.

I’d just finished telling her and her classmates that I worked to make sure their teachers had what they needed to do their jobs—that I protected their teachers’ rights and tried to help them become the best teachers they could be. But I knew that wasn’t always the case.

Like many union leaders, I had relentlessly negotiated contracts that protected not only teachers’ rights, but their wrongs. As I drove home, I thought about the $10,000 my union had spent to keep a poorly performing teacher in the classroom—not because she deserved another chance, but because of a technicality.

My own childhood taught me the value of an education. I am the son of a Southern sharecropper who was perennially in debt no matter how hard he worked. My teachers were my inspiration and salvation. When I became a teacher, it seemed natural to become an advocate for the profession. Somewhere along the way I became more of a union leader than an educational leader.

The pandemic has highlighted the need to be nimble, to serve the needs of children and families where they are. We will fail our children and our teachers if we return to a pre-pandemic educational system. Unfortunately, many teacher unions want to limit access to quality education for underserved kids.

I used to oppose charter schools, not because they were bad for kids, but because they were bad for unions. Some call it a binary choice: You either support teachers unions or you support charter schools. Nowadays I disagree. I spent 30 years as a high school and middle school math teacher educating kids in low-performing schools in the District of Columbia. I served as president of the Washington Teachers’ Union for six years and recognize the added value unions can bring in securing fair compensation and safe working conditions for teachers. I’m still a union member. But I now work on behalf of charter schools.

Charter schools are also public schools. All of them. They provide more than three million students, mostly black and Hispanic, access to a quality public education. They are innovative and student-centered. They break down barriers that have kept families of color from the educational opportunities they deserve. Another two million children would attend charter schools if there were space for them. How could I work against these kids?

All too often charter critics get caught up denigrating “the system” and forget the duty to do whatever it takes to provide all children with access to high-quality public schools, no matter their race, ethnicity or ZIP Code.

We need more, not fewer, great public-school options for children, and charters are leading the way. If anyone says differently, keep in mind the messenger.

Mr. Parker is a former president of the Washington Teachers’ Union, a former math teacher in the District of Columbia Public Schools, and a senior adviser at the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Don't hire the Ivies
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »
This article is in your queue.Open Queue
I’m not inclined to hire a graduate from one of America’s elite universities. That marks a change. A decade ago I relished the opportunity to employ talented graduates of Princeton, Yale, Harvard and the rest. Today? Not so much.

As a graduate of Haverford College, a fancy school outside Philadelphia, I took interest in the campus uproar there last fall. It concerned “antiblackness” and the “erasure of marginalized voices.” A student strike culminated in an all-college Zoom meeting for undergraduates. The college president and other administrators promised to “listen.” During the meeting, many students displayed a stunning combination of thin-skinned narcissism and naked aggression. The college administrators responded with self-abasing apologies.

Haverford is a progressive hothouse. If students can be traumatized by “insensitivity” on that leafy campus, then they’re unlikely to function as effective team members in an organization that has to deal with everyday realities. And in any event, I don’t want to hire someone who makes inflammatory accusations at the drop of a hat.

Student activists don’t represent the majority of students. But I find myself wondering about the silent acquiescence of most students. They allow themselves to be cowed by charges of racism and other sins. I sympathize. The atmosphere of intimidation in elite higher education is intense. But I don’t want to hire a person well-practiced in remaining silent when it costs something to speak up.

All the day's Opinion headlines.
See a preview

SUBSCRIBED
The traditional Islamic world exhibited a modicum of tolerance. Christians and Jews were dhimmi, allowed to exist, but on the condition that they accepted their subordinate role in society. While studying this arrangement, sociologists coined the term “dhimmitude,” which refers to the mentality of those who have internalized their second-class status.

Haverford, like Harvard and other top tier schools, graduates fine young people, no doubt many with well-adjusted personalities and sensible views of the world. But in the past decade, dhimmitude has become widespread. Normal kids at elite universities keep their heads down. Over the course of four years, this can become a subtle but real habit of obeisance, a condition of moral and spiritual surrender.

Some resist. They would seem ideal for my organization, which aims to speak for religious and social conservatives. But even this kind of graduate brings liabilities to the workplace. I’ve met recent Ivy grads with conservative convictions who manifest a form of posttraumatic stress disorder. Others have developed a habit of aggressive counterpunching that is no more appealing in a young employee than the ruthless accusations of the woke.

In recent years, I’ve taken stock of my assumptions about who makes for the best entry-level employee. I have no doubt that Ivy League universities attract smart, talented and ambitious kids. But do these institutions add value? My answer is increasingly negative. Dysfunctional kids are coddled and encouraged to nurture grievances, while normal kids are attacked and educationally abused. Listening to Haverford’s all-college Zoom meeting also made it clear that today’s elite students aren’t going to schools led by courageous adults. Deprived of good role models, they’re less likely to mature into good leaders themselves.

My rule of thumb is to hire from institutions I advise young people to attend. Hillsdale College is at the top of that list, as are quirky small Catholic colleges such as Thomas Aquinas College, Wyoming Catholic College and the University of Dallas. In my experience, graduates from these sorts of places are well-educated. But more important, they’ve been supported and encouraged by their institutions, and they haven’t been deformed by the toxic political correctness that leaders of elite universities have allowed to become dominant.

Large state universities and their satellite schools are also good sources. In my experience, top-performing students at Rutgers are as talented but less self-important than Ivy Leaguers. They’re more likely to accept the authority of those more experienced. This allows for better mentoring, which in turn produces better results over time.

The biggest liability that comes with hiring graduates from places like Haverford and Harvard is that they have been socialized to panic over pseudocrises. Talk of systemic racism and fixation on pronouns inculcate in young people an apocalyptic urgency, a mentality that often disrupts the workplace and encourages navel-gazing about “diversity,” “inclusion” and other ill-defined notions that are far removed from the main work of my organization, which is good writing, good editing and good arguments.

A few years ago a student at an Ivy League school told me, “The first things you learn your freshman year is never to say what you are thinking.” The institution he attended claims to train the world’s future leaders. From what that young man reports, the opposite is true. The school is training future self-censors, which means future followers.

Mr. Reno is editor of First Things.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Home schooling
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2021, 09:00:12 PM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:41:50 PM by G M »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Education
« Reply #506 on: July 02, 2021, 09:46:12 AM »
https://cuadvising.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/great-fall-course-queering-black-studies-with-professor-kwame-holmes/

"Professor Kwame Holmes wrote an op-ed last July titled “Why Abolish the Police?”, which suggested that neighborhoods should develop their own “pods” designed to “create intentional agreements around safety.”

What a great idea -
Why not start with inner city black neighborhoods?

also from this genius kwame:

which comes up on image search:

https://cuadvising.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/great-fall-course-queering-black-studies-with-professor-kwame-holmes/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 02, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »
Another once great institution destroyed by the Left, University of Colorado Boulder.

Should "Ethnic Studies" even be a college level pursuit?  Separating people into groups is what the Left does - when they're not trying to make them all the same.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:21:50 AM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: [California] Math is racist!
« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2021, 05:30:26 AM »
https://thepostmillennial.com/ontarios-new-math-curriculum-claims-math-normalizes-racism?utm_campaign=64470

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2021/07/14/research_used_to_justify_californias_racial_equity_math_doesnt_add_up_784966.html
Sergiu Klainerman, a professor of mathematics at Princeton, went further. “It's very clear that there is talent in math, just like there is talent in music,” he said in a Zoom interview. “You can clearly see when you teach math that there are certain kids that pick it up extremely fast, some do reasonably well but have to work hard, and there are some for whom it is difficult. The differentiation is very clear.”

Nevertheless, the Framework uses its rejection of giftedness as a basis for its chief and most disputed recommendation, that accelerated classes and “tracking,” the groupings of students in separate classes according to ability, should be eliminated for all California students, until the 11th grade. Until then, it proposes that [all] students take the same math courses in the same classrooms with the same teacher.
------------------------------------------

[Doug] Those two paragraphs are in direct contradiction.  Some learn math easily and fast.  Others don't. We will put them all in the same lowest common denominator classroom where the gifted will be bored to death and learn nothing.  That's how we'll prepare the next generation to take on the enormous challenges we face.  Sameness and equality, even though we know people aren't the same or equal.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:40:13 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Education, WE own your children, you don't.
« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
"Once we break through the idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, then we start making better investments."

Know your enemy.  Leftist gaffe is when they say what they think or what they are planning to do out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=hAAMGatMHss&feature=emb_logo

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Education, Removing a racist rock, U.W. Madison, I kid you not
« Reply #515 on: August 10, 2021, 06:59:07 AM »
State education and tuition dollars at work.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/08/dumber-than-a-pet-rock.php
Juliana Bennett, a senior and a campus representative on the Madison City Council, said removing the rock signaled a small step toward a more inclusive school.

Higher education.  Higher than what?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
We are so fuct , , ,

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gov't teachers gone wild
« Reply #519 on: August 31, 2021, 08:14:36 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Parents shouldn't tell schools what to teach
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2021, 06:32:16 PM »
[I had this in the wrong thread.]
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/09/28/va_gov_candidate_mcauliffe_i_dont_think_parents_should_be_telling_schools_what_they_should_teach.html

This is the Dem Governor of Virginia.

Democrats run the schools.

A Democrat gaffe is when someone of importance accidentally tells the truth.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Education, and lack there of
« Reply #522 on: October 04, 2021, 08:01:41 AM »
College students surprised to learn facts regarding spending and debt, short video:

https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=18239

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Defund the Education Deep State
« Reply #530 on: October 30, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »
Without public schools, who will teach American children to hate America? Who will teach them critical race theory or take them to gay bars on field trips?

Ignorant homeschool parents probably won't even bother to take their children to drag queen story hour at the local library...

https://americanmind.org/memo/defund-the-education-deep-state/?fbclid=IwAR1H-G5P1Djz5sNxt_acjZjL3PDnQJdXkQeqXQ3wsTd5yDEYd4HmjSBkQ2E

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Education Initiative in CA
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »
Public-school education has gone from bad to worse. In the Chicago Public Schools, only 26% of 11th-graders were at grade level in reading and math in 2019. Remarkably, the school system had a record-high graduation rate of nearly 84% in 2021. Those students must have had strong senior years! This is why over half of first-year community-college students in the U.S. take at least one remedial course in reading or math. In the U.S., 43 million adults are illiterate. This is a disgrace.

In pre-pandemic California, only 32% of fourth-graders were at or above proficient for their grade in reading. Only 19% of eighth-grade Hispanics read at grade level, and only 10% of eighth-grade blacks did. Those who find disparate impact everywhere should be screaming from the rooftops that public education is racist. Instead, silence.

Despite these poor results, spending per student goes up each year. New York spent $25,139 per student in fiscal 2019. In California, it’s over $20,000. So why haven’t outcomes improved? Parents know why. Bad teachers don’t get fired. Because of tenure, even some capable teachers mail it in. Bad school districts don’t get fixed. Caps on charter schools, even those with proven records, limit their ability to put pressure on public schools. Teachers unions are all-powerful.

Silicon Valley entrepreneur Dave Welch is trying to improve California’s education system. He tells me we need “accountability of quality education.” You may recall the 2014 Vergara v. California decision, a suit Mr. Welch and others funded. Filed on behalf of nine public-school students, the ruling found that five California statutes related to teacher tenure, firing bad teachers and layoff policy violated the state’s Constitution. In his ruling, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Rolf M. Treu noted, “Evidence has been elicited in this trial of the specific effect of grossly ineffective teachers on students. The evidence is compelling. Indeed, it shocks the conscience.”

No matter. The California Court of Appeal reversed Vergara in 2016 stating: “With no proper showing of a constitutional violation, the court is without power to strike down the challenged statutes.” In the court’s view, the California Constitution guarantees merely a free public education.

So Mr. Welch was back where he started, with, he says, an “educational system that doesn’t prioritize its actions to educate the children to a degree necessary to function in our society.” Bad teachers are constitutionally protected.

But with his background as a logically thinking Cornell-educated engineer, he set out to prove bad teaching was “a constitutional violation.” In the Democrat-controlled California Legislature, that was going to be a tough sell. Teachers were the fourth-largest campaign contributors to California’s legislative races in 2020 behind energy, prison guards and healthcare. “The Legislature won’t listen to the people,” Mr. Welch grumbles.

Fortunately, Californians can change their constitution through ballot initiatives. And voilà, a group named Kids First including Mr. Welch filed the Constitutional Right to a High-Quality Public Education Act. Here’s the key provision: “Any law, regulation, or policy, or any official action affecting students generally, which does not put the interest of the students first, shall be deemed to deny this right.”

Critics will focus on the lack of a definition for “high-quality public education.” Mr. Welch explains, “The metric for existing or any future legislation, and every school board decision, is ‘Does it make students better or worse?’ ” Pretty simple, yet I suspect it would be deadly effective. This would, by necessity, launch many lawsuits to challenge the status quo of tenure, of the inability to fire bad teachers and of everything else. It would become the guiding principle for any new legislation: Does it put kids first? “The corollary to this right is the existence of a high-quality teaching profession,” Mr. Welch says.

And then there is this provision: “The remedies for this right shall not include new mandates for taxes or spending.” It’s smart for two reasons. It will help the initiative pass, and history has shown that throwing money at the problem doesn’t work.

The cost? Around $8 a signature—they need a million to get on the ballot—plus the cost of the inevitable TV-ad battle with the California Teachers Association and its 310,000 members. That could get expensive.

I asked Mr. Welch why he wants to spend his time and hard-earned capital on this. “What we’re doing to our kids is horrific,” he says. “I can’t think of a greater loss of potential than the poor quality of education of our children. And all the other societal problems that come with it. The prison system uses educational outcomes—fourth-grade reading levels—to determine what size correctional facilities they’ll need.” Scary.

I think a successful Kids First ballot initiative would do more for “equity” than any government program. “The best way in making a productive functioning society is making sure everyone lives up to their potential,” Mr. Welch says. “Education is one of the basic pillars of American democracy.” That pillar is crumbling.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Fairfax schools bring back controversial books
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2021, 02:13:09 AM »
Fairfax parents blast school system for bringing back controversial books

BY JAMES VARNEY THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Parents lambasted Fairfax County Public Schools last week for returning two controversial books to the library and making left-wing class assignments.

Stacy Langton, a parent of a public school system student, excoriated the board for the schools’ decision to return “Lawn Boy” and “Gender Queer: A Memoir” to library shelves despite parents’ outrage. After a review, Fairfax schools officials said last week that the books did not include any pedophilia or pornography.

“They sent me a letter saying neither of these books contain pedophilia nor are they obscene,” Ms. Langton told The Washington Times. “That’s a bald-faced lie.”

Ms. Langdon said she planned to follow the schools’ appeals process to continue challenging the library books.

Parents opposed to the books say they are inappropriate because of their sexual content, graphic images and what they say are depictions of pedophilia.

Thursday night’s contentious meeting was the latest in a string of incidents that has roiled the Washington suburb this year as well as hundreds of school districts around the nation. Parents have objected to a range of issues, from COVID-19-related measures, to material infused with critical race theory, to sexually explicit questionnaires and to what Ms. Langton contends are obscene books.

Ms. Langton first raised the issue in September. As she stressed Thursday night and again Friday, her issue is not with LGBQT material but with the explicit nature of the books available to middle and high school students.

She shared screenshots of graphic illustrations of oral sex between young people and one that shows a grown man masturbating a boy that are included in Maia Kobabe’s “Gender Queer: A Memoir.”

Fairfax County is not the only school in which “Lawn Boy” by Jonathan Evison and “Gender Queer” have raised concern. In some instances, viral social media videos have shown school boards stopping parents reading from the texts because of the obscene language.

“I am the adult child of a gay parent,” Ms. Langton told the board. “But we hear the LGBTQ community tonight defending the indefensible. And this school board doubled down — in clear terms — that they are in favor of pornography in schools.”

The various fronts in the fights between parents and school offi cials are separate, Ms. Langton said, although she believes all of them are rooted in a determination by education professionals and elected officials to force children to learn a left-wing, woke philosophy.

“You can have supportive books of LGBQT community and they don’t have to depict pornography, do they?” she said.

A similar left-wing approach seems to have crept into eighthgrade assignments at Katherine Johnson Middle School in Fairfax County, according to a parent who said he was startled by the material Thursday evening.

He cited an assignment: “Research a couple of social justice organizations in order to gain an understanding of what social justice activism involves,” it read.

The links provided by the teacher took the students to a variety of left-wing social justice groups and included screenshots of various gender and sexuality concepts and pro-immigration policies.

“Some of it is unobjectionable,” said Edwin Donovan, noting information about significant civil rights figures such as Rosa Parks and John Lewis. “But there are a number of links that plainly require my son to learn about ‘social justice activism’.”

One of the links, to the Equal Justice Initiative, paints American history as a parade of racist horrors.

“American history begins with the creation of a myth to absolve White settlers of the genocide of Native Americans; the false belief that nonwhite people are less human than White people,” the group website says. “This belief in racial hierarchy survived slavery’s abolition, fueled racial terror lynchings, demanded legally codifi ed segregation, and spawned our mass incarceration crisis.”

Another link went to teaching guides on social justice activism by the Center for Racial Justice in Education, and Mr. Donovan said he was puzzled at why his 14-year-old child’s English class was focused on left-wing social justice activism.

“Much of this is fine, but this is all disguised critical race theory,” Mr. Donovan said.

A spokeswoman for the school system said she was unfamiliar with the assigned material and it was not clear if it was being given across eighth grade English classes. Mr. Donovan said at least two teachers at Katherine Johnson Middle School had issued the assignment.

One of the parents of a child in the other 8th-grade class filed a formal complaint about the assignment with FCPS Thursday.

“I am furious beyond words that this type of biased, political and hard-left ideology is being assigned as a rational lesson,” Jason Bryk wrote in the complaint.

Mr. Bryk cited approving links to radical left-wing thinkers like Noam Chomsky and Francis Fox Piven as inappropriate and beyond the grasp of 8th graders.

“I realize that Fairfax County is the epicenter of leftist ideology but this lesson is beyond defensible,” Mr. Bryk’s complaint said. “This lesson provides no ‘diversity’ of opinion, ‘inclusion’ of alternative ideologies or any competing viewpoints. This is nothing short of indoctrination.”

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Homeschooling up
« Reply #541 on: December 07, 2021, 05:07:37 AM »
Nosedive in public school enrollment reflects homeschool boom

Homeschooling more than doubled in 2020 from 5% to 11%

By Lance Izumi

Student enrollment in public schools has nosedived as parent disgust with school COVID-19 policies, student learning losses, and controversial education policies have gone through the roof. In the wake of this enrollment implosion, homeschooling has boomed across the country. At the beginning of the current school year, the U.S. Department of Education estimated that 1.5 million students had left public schools since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

If students are not enrolling in public schools, where are they going? The numbers show that many former public school students are now being homeschooled. The U.S. Census Bureau found that the percentage of homeschooling households more than doubled in 2020 from 5% in spring to 11% in the fall.

In Virginia in 2019-20, around 38,000 children were being homeschooled. A year later, in 2020-21, state data showed that the number had risen to nearly 60,000. According to a recent University of Michigan study , from 2020 to 2021, the enrollment at public schools in Michigan fell by nearly 46,000 students, which represented a more than a 3% drop. Among kindergartners, there was a decrease of more than 11%.

The study found that homeschooling rates jumped substantially in the fall of 2020, with homeschooling accounting “for a majority of Michigan’s students who did not return to the public system.” Importantly, the study noted, “national trends in homeschooling follow a similar pattern.”

The increase in homeschoolers does not come from just a narrow segment of the American population. A University of Washington Bothell analysis found “The diversity of homeschoolers in the U.S. mirrors the diversity of all students nationally,” including all racial, religious, political, and income groups. For instance, the Census Bureau found that among African-American households, the increase in homeschooling was much steeper than in the country as a whole, rising from 3% to 16%, a five-fold jump. This increase in African-American homeschooling is not surprising given recent research by McKinsey & Company that found “Students in majority Black schools ended the [2020-21 school] year with six months of unfinished learning.”

Demetria Zinga, one of the country’s top African-American homeschool YouTubers, says, “I believe homeschooling is growing and exploding amongst African Americans, and there will be more and more homeschoolers.” She believes that this growth will be facilitated by “more resources available, in general, but also with regard to the African-American community, in particular, especially online that make it easier for people to homeschool.”

Homeschool mom Magda Gomez, an immigrant from Mexico, has become an activist for homeschooling in the Hispanic community. She observes: “We Hispanics as a culture are usually very protective and loving towards our children. However, I explain that love is not enough to raise our children. We have to educate ourselves in different areas [of education], especially since we are not in our [native] country but are immigrants.” “It is my dream,” she says, “to see more Hispanic families doing homeschool.”

Her dream is coming true with homeschooling doubling among Hispanic households, from 6% to 12%. In addition to the racial diversity of homeschoolers, in 2021, the school-choice organization EdChoice found : “Many parents of children with autism, ADHD, and other neuro-developmental disorders report that public schools cannot effectively address their child’s specialized learning needs.”

As opposed to the rigid structure that schools often impose on special-needs children, homeschooling allows parents to address their children’s particular needs.

Pediatric nurse and homeschool mom Jackie Nunes unenrolled her special-needs daughter from public school, saying , “There just wasn’t enough of the things that matter—time, attention, patience, persistence, passion, support.”

Viewing the growth of homeschooling, Virginia homeschool leader Yvonne Bunn says , “I think it will permanently change the landscape of education. I don’t think it will ever go back to the way it was before.” The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed all the flaws in the one-size-fits-all public schools, which is why the homeschooling boom is shaking up American education.

Lance Izumi is senior director of the Center for Education at the Pacific Research Institute. He is the author of the new book The Homeschool Boom: Pandemic, Policies, and Possibili

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Education, 1 out of 3 college freshman experience depression / anxiety
« Reply #543 on: December 08, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
Study is from Canada, similar expected in US.

1 out of 3 college freshman experience depression / anxiety.

[100% are told the world is going to end, etc.  2 out of 3 must take it all in with a grain of salt.]

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/12/07/college-freshmen-one-third-depression-anxiety/8601638827178/
-------------------------------------------------------------

Also this:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-12-college-students-declining-mental-physical.html

« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:32:43 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Biden Admin looks to protect the pervs
« Reply #545 on: December 14, 2021, 06:02:33 AM »
Rebuild fence to protect our children from radical left Parents have right to know about alleged criminal behavior of teachers By Marc T. Little T

he Biden administration is engaged in an active cover-up to shield sexually deviant teachers from the alleged sexual abuse of students, according to the proposed rollback of the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights 2021-2022 Civil Rights Data Collection, proposed on Nov. 18, 2021. This effort allows teachers to be reassigned to other locations without being reported, like the Catholic Church’s international scandal wherein it conducted the same horrendous behavior with its priests.

The ultimate effect of these reassignments makes it difficult for parents to know about the alleged criminal behavior of teachers, which is unacceptable.

This move by the Biden administration follows U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland’s assault on parents who dare to exercise their First Amendment rights at local school board meetings to protect their children. Whistleblower documents strongly suggest Mr. Garland misled Congress about the collusion between the National School Board Association, the White House and the Department of Justice to target parents at school board meetings as domestic terrorists. This is scandalous behavior.

Children are our nation’s treasure. Whoever guides the children controls the future. Notwithstanding the 2,000 plus children aborted daily in the womb in the U.S., it is clear the left — President Biden included — is pulling out all the stops to ensure the state has more influence on these remaining children than their own parents.

Our nation woke up to an example of this pernicious agenda when we learned that Jackson Sparks, 8 years old, became the sixth victim of an incident where police say Darrell Brooks Jr. drove his SUV through the Waukesha, Wisconsin, Christmas parade.

Mr. Brooks, convicted of threatening to bomb a Las Vegas casino and having sex with a minor in 2006, was out on $1,000 cash bail for charges including domestic abuse. Mr. Brooks’ freedom was the intended consequence of far-left-wing policies of George Soros-funded district attorneys who disfavor incarceration. This is a colossal failure in the criminal justice system and is the direct cause of this tragic loss of life.

The erosion of the societal mandate to protect children extends beyond the criminal justice system. The erosion is also clear in education and the health care spheres. Children are no longer safe in the hands of school administrators or appointed medical professionals, like White House Chief Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci, most of whom reside within the radical left.

I recently met a young high school girl in Indiana who revealed the divisive instruction occurring in her school. She said to her mother, “Mommy, they are teaching us to worship Black people.” This girl is the victim of the indoctrination by the left in public schools that promote critical race theory.

Moreover, despite the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s statements that children are at the lowest risk of contracting and spreading the coronavirus, we now see vaccines approved for children ages 5-11. However, according to the CDC, there were only 210 COVID-19 related deaths nationwide in this age group. This is not a national crisis for children, in my view.

Government intrusion on our children in education and medical treatment is no longer driven by the “best interests of the child”; politics has taken over. Two good men started the heavy lift to stop this madness.

Both Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri and Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita are rebuilding the fence of protection around our children. Mr. Hawley introduced the Parents’ Bill of Rights Act on Nov. 16, 2021, to defend a parent’s right against efforts to shut them out of their children’s education, providing a way for parents to sue federally-funded schools. However, this bill is unlikely to advance in a radical left majority in the House.

On the other hand, Mr. Rokita introduced a new Parents’ Bill of Rights for Hoosier parents on Nov. 22. He stated, “We have a right to make decisions on and consent to care and medical treatment of our children, including in a school setting.” The Office of the Attorney General added, “Our participation in our children’s education is the most critical factor in assuring school accountability under the law.”

This bill of rights is an example that all attorneys generals should follow.

Suppose we do not actively participate in building the fence of protection around our children right now at the local, state and federal levels. In that case, our children will continue to be mowed down in the streets by criminals who should be in jail, indoctrinated in our schools with racist curricula, and jabbed in their arms with a vaccine against parental wishes. Marc T. Little is the executive director of CURE America Action, Inc., a 501 (c)(4), headquartered in Washington, advocating messages of Christianity, capitalism and the Constitution across the nation. He is a pastor, attorney and political strategist.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 25, 2021, 08:55:17 AM »
"These academic relationships are used by the Chinese regime to acquire American technology and know-how to further its military development, said a Dec. 9 report by the Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD), a Washington-based think tank."

One question I never hear answered:

DO WE EVER GET ANYTHING FROM THEM?

are we learning sciences advances that they discover or find?

NO WHERE HAS ANYONE ASKED THIS QUESTION, that I ever read

We spend the billions doing the R and D and they spend a couple million in bribes and get the same benefit for minimal relative cost

We have so many Chinese in our universities....

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 31, 2021, 09:05:55 AM »
"One question I never hear answered:

"DO WE EVER GET ANYTHING FROM THEM?"

Hell, I never hear the question even being asked.