Author Topic: Sleep  (Read 48980 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Happy Memories and Sleep
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2023, 03:20:54 AM »
A Happy Memory Can Help You Fall Asleep, if You Know How to Use It
Trouble sleeping? Try a technique called savoring, or imagining a positive experience in great detail
Jan. 24, 2023 8:00 am ET

Lying in bed each night, Andy Buelow often finds himself thinking one thought over and over: How awesome it was to ride the ferry across Lake Michigan as a kid.

Mr. Buelow pictures himself back on the ship, imagining the whir of the engines, the smell of steam, the rushing water and the cold spray on his face.

“When I remember the feeling, I am asleep within minutes,” says Mr. Buelow, 61 years old, the chief executive of a symphony orchestra in Muskegon, Mich.

We know what we’re supposed to do before bed to ensure a good night’s sleep: Set a fixed bedtime. Turn off our screens. Create a relaxing routine before bed.

Now, sleep researchers say that what we think about as we try to go to sleep is just as important. They recommend that as we prepare to drift off, we practice something called savoring, which is imagining a positive experience we’ve had in great detail.

Savoring is well-studied as a strategy to improve our general well-being. A considerable body of research shows that it can boost mood and help reduce depression and anxiety. Now, psychologists believe it can help us fall asleep and have better sleep quality, and are starting to study its effectiveness.

Many of us ruminate as we’re trying to drift off. This is where savoring can help. “It gives your brain something else to focus on—something emotionally compelling and pleasurable,” says Dana McMakin, a professor of psychology at Florida International University, who studies savoring.

Savoring differs from other strategies you may use before going to sleep. When you savor, you try to re-create the positive emotional state of the experience. It’s not the same as practicing gratitude, which involves thinking about something rather than trying to feel it. And it’s different from meditating or trying to be mindful, in which the goal is to quiet your mind. Savoring aims to fill it up with positive emotion.

When you savor a happy memory, your brain reacts as if you’re reliving that enjoyable experience all over again, says Sara C. Mednick, a neuroscientist and professor of cognitive science at the University of California, Irvine. The activity in your sympathetic nervous system, which is in charge of your stress response, reduces. And the activity in your parasympathetic nervous system, which restores the body to a calm state, increases.

Ready to try savoring as a sleep aid? Here’s how.

Pick your happy memory beforehand.

It could be something big—a favorite vacation or the day your child was born—or something small, such as playing with your dog. It could also be something you’re doing at the moment (snuggling in your cozy flannel sheets) or looking forward to doing in the future.

When you’re in bed trying to sleep, re-create it in your mind. Imagine it with all five of your senses, adding as many details as you can. Think of those same sensations in your body now. This will make blood flow to those parts and away from the worrying part of your brain, which will help you relax, Dr. Mednick says.

I like to picture a walk on the beach with my dog, Scout. I start by envisioning the sound of the surf, the smell of the water, the breeze on my shoulders, the taste of the orange I brought as a snack and Scout’s happy face.

Get your ruminating out of the way early.

Schedule a worry session—at least several hours before bedtime. Set a timer at the beginning of your session for 15 minutes, then let your mind go hog-wild fretting. Write down all the worries that come to you. When the time is up, literally and figuratively close the book.

“This gives your brain an opportunity to worry and download the negativity early, to break the habit of ruminating at bedtime,” says Wendy Troxel, a clinical psychologist, sleep scientist at Rand Corp. and author of “Sharing the Covers: Every Couple’s Guide to Better Sleep.”

Practice during the day.

Savoring on command may not come easily at first, as I discovered one recent night when I couldn’t sleep and tried to wing it. I attempted to recall a memory from the weekend when I went sailing with friends. But I had trouble sticking with it, and as my mind continued to wander I found myself silently berating myself: “Savor, damnit! Savor!”

Practicing savoring during the day will train your brain to focus on positivity. It will strengthen the memory, which will help your brain recall it more easily next time, and calm your stress response down, says Dr. Mednick, author of “The Power of the Downstate.” She recommends 10 minute stretches several times a week.

Stick with it.
Like any new habit, it will take time to stick, says Zlatan Krizan, a professor of psychology and sleep scientist at Iowa State University. Don’t give up if it’s hard at first.

Mr. Buelow started savoring his happy memories of the old “City of Midland 41” ferry before sleep when he was in his 20s. He grew up riding the ferry each summer when his family traveled from their home in Wisconsin to their summer cottage in Michigan, and the happy memory of those rides and the freedom he felt on them helped settle his racing mind.

Although he rarely has trouble getting to sleep now, he still imagines himself on the ferry every night when he gets in bed. And if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he does it again. Sometimes he switches it up—picturing a night ride, or even a different ferry. But he always envisions the wind, waves and water.

“Riding the Midland helps me turn off my mind and sink into a sleep rhythm,” he says. “And it’s become a source of comfort.”

Write to Elizabeth Bernstein at Elizabeth.Bernstein@wsj.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
ET: What dreams may say about overall health
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2023, 05:01:07 AM »
What Your Dreams May Say About Your Overall Health
Vance Voetberg
Jun 29 2023

Dreams can—and often do—feature the most random assortment of people doing the most random things: You, a childhood friend, and a celebrity you’ve never met are all fighting an enemy in a parallel universe or playing hide-and-seek in Paris.

You wake up confused, happy, or scared, knowing that the adventure you just experienced was only an illogical journey that didn’t symbolize anything significant.

But what if our dreams did mean something? Not in a lucid, transcendental manner, but in a real, scientifically proven way? What if dreams were mirrors that reflected the state of a person’s physical and mental well-being?

This concept seems far-fetched to many, but according to recent science and leading dream experts, we’re just beginning to understand what dreams may indicate about our health and how our health might affect our dreams.

Are Bad Dreams Warning Signs of Parkinson’s Disease?

Recent research suggests that nightmares and bad dreams may potentially serve as early symptoms of neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson’s. A 2022 longitudinal study spanning over 12 years and involving 3,818 men age 67 or older discovered a significant association between frequent distressing dreams and a more than threefold increased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease five years after the initial assessment. However, this association noticeably diminished during the subsequent seven years of the study.

“This suggests,” the study’s author noted, “that late-onset distressing dreams, rather than life-long distressing dreams, may be linked with increased [Parkinson’s disease] risk. ”

REM sleep behavior disorder—a sleep condition characterized by night terrors—can act as an early indicator of neurodegenerative disorders like Parkinson’s, sometimes decades before their onset, according to Patrick McNamara, who holds a doctorate in behavioral sciences and is an associate professor of neurology at Boston University School of Medicine. “In REM sleep behavior disorder, people tend to act out their dreams during sleep,” McNamara told The Epoch Times. “They jump out of bed or flail about as they typically dream of being attacked by an intruder.”

While nightmares can be associated with neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s, experiencing a single bad dream does not automatically indicate neurodegeneration. However, as McNamara pointed out, symptoms of neurodegenerative diseases can manifest in dreams years before they become apparent in waking life. Therefore, you should consult a doctor if you routinely experience nightmares.

What Recurring Dreams Might Indicate

According to the Academy of Sleep and Wellness, 60 to 75 percent of adults experience recurring dreams. Recurring dreams can often be attributed to “the mind working through current stress, processing a past event, or preparing for a future event,” Dr. Alex Dimitriu, a psychiatrist specializing in sleep health, told The Epoch Times.

“Freud called this ‘day residue’ or the tendency to dream at night, as a continuation of thoughts or concerns from the daytime,” he added.

Therefore, when we experience repetitive dreams, it could indicate that the mind is attempting to compartmentalize stress and trauma, allowing for processing and resolution.

Is Vitamin B6 the Secret to Vivid Dreams?

Although the science of dreams is still in its infancy, researchers are beginning to recognize the role of nutrition in facilitating dreams. One nutrient that has shown a close relationship with dream quality is vitamin B6.

To investigate B6’s influence on dreams, a team of scientists conducted a study in which 12 trial participants were randomly assigned to receive either 100 milligrams of vitamin B6, 250 milligrams, or a placebo. Considering that most adults consume no more than 2 milligrams of B6 daily, this intervention proved significant.

Researchers used a dream composite score that assessed participants’ dreams’ vividness, bizarreness, emotionality, and color. The results supported their hypothesis, demonstrating that B6 supplementation significantly increased the composite scores and dream recall.

Vitamin B6 is integral in synthesizing serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a significant role in dream quality. Scientists theorize that supplementing B6 increases serotonin production, enhancing dream salience.

Based on the findings, the inability to recall dreams could indicate a deficiency of vitamin B6. However, the current evidence does not definitively explain the relationship between vitamin B6 and its effect on dreams.

How to Have Good Dreams

Quality of sleep is closely related to the quality of dreams we experience, Dimitriu said. To achieve restful sleep, he advises against consuming meals, alcohol, or caffeine too close to bedtime, as these can negatively impact sleep architecture and, consequently, dream quality.

Furthermore, Dimitriu emphasizes the significance of maintaining regular sleep and wake times, allowing for a wide eight-hour window to ensure sufficient sleep. “This means nothing exciting; screens, etc., ideally one to two hours before bedtime,” he said.

“Good sleep loves quiet, darkness, regularity, and rhythm.”

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Mouth Tape
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2023, 08:57:05 AM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/snoring-mouth-tape-sleep-remedy-11660844766?utm_source=VM%20%7C%20Engaged%2090%20iOS%2015%20%3D%20True&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Oct%2007%20%7C%20Infotainment%20%232%3A%20Reverse%20Authority%20%28lmao%29%20-%20CC%20%7C%20Engaged%2090%20%2801HC30VJJYJRJKS9QAPZMH0RA5%29&triplesource=klaviyo&_kx=DXPvnuPQSfb3yNDS5j2YR5tUrqixU_Pi1N0fCb3sTUk%3D.SbergP

Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape.
Sleepers who saw logs at night are giving their partners peace with a new trick, sticking adhesive strips across their lips

‘I need to give my wife eight hours of sleep,’ says David Gesualdi, pictured in July. IRIS GESUALDI
By
Stu Woo
Follow
Aug. 22, 2022 10:00 am ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(7 min)

At bedtime, David Gesualdi brushes his teeth and washes his face. Then he does the trick that pleases his wife.

He tapes his mouth shut.

It’s a technique Iris Gesualdi says has reinvigorated the couple’s marriage after more than 50 years. “I don’t hate him anymore,” she says.

Couples around the world are swearing by the previously obscure snoring remedy, which has drifted into the mainstream with a TV show, a bestselling book and popular social-media posts.

Mouth tapers affix a not-too-sticky adhesive strip, such as surgical tape, either horizontally or vertically across their lips. Devotees including Mr. Gesualdi, a Rhode Island used-car-dealership owner, say that snuffs snoring, in part by rerouting breath through the nose.

The believers have gotten mixed messages from the medical establishment and hard-nosed resistance from skeptics who think mouth taping is best left to hostage movies.

The little-studied practice could be risky, say doctors including Dr. Aarti Grover, medical director of Tufts Medical Center’s Sleep Medicine Center in Boston. “Let’s say you have some medical issues like acid-reflux disease,” she says. “Having tape over your mouth might be detrimental.”

Dr. Steven Park counters that many physicians are overly cautious. A former ear, nose and throat surgeon at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, he is a mouth taper who has blogged about the benefits. He hasn’t seen documented cases of anything bad happening, he says, and “in the worst-case scenario, you wake up and take the tape off.”

Mouth taping doesn’t work for all snorers but might for those who breathe through their mouths while sleeping, Dr. Park says. Many mouth breathers wheeze when the jaw drops and the tongue falls backward, obstructing the airway, he says. Taping could bring silence by keeping mouths closed.

‘In the worst-case scenario, you wake up and take the tape off,’ says Dr. Steven Park. PHOTO: STEVEN PARK
The idea of zipping lips for better sleep dates to at least the 1800s, when author George Catlin observed Native American mothers closing snoozing babies’ mouths to encourage nasal breathing. He endorsed closed-lips sleeping in his book “The Breath of Life,” later retitled “Shut Your Mouth and Save Your Life.”

Taping remained largely hush-hush until 2019, when entrepreneur Nicholas Michalak appeared on the reality-TV show “Shark Tank” to pitch his company, SomniFix, and its lip-sealing adhesive strips. Inspired by his father, who had curbed snoring with a contraption of surgical tape and cardboard strips, he spent six months testing tape prototypes on himself, seeking a balance between too sticky and too weak. “I ended up being the guinea pig,” says Mr. Michalak, the company’s chief executive. “I experienced the downsides of really aggressive adhesives on my face.”

A year later, author James Nestor promoted mouth taping in his book “Breath” as well as in interviews with Joe Rogan and National Public Radio. This year, videos of young mouth tapers have become popular on TikTok, alongside comments calling the practice ridiculous.

Mr. Nestor says 80% of people who approach him after speaking engagements share mouth-taping success stories, sometimes saying in laughter or tears that it helped their relationships.

“I wish they would talk about something else,” he says. “It’s such a teensy, teensy part of the book.”

Mr. Nestor thinks some doctors worry people will seal their lips dangerously tight with, say, duct tape. He recommends a square of surgical tape about the size of a postage stamp that can be easily undone by moving the lips apart. Wear the tape for five minutes while awake, he suggests, gradually adding minutes every day until comfortable sleeping with it.

Lara Briden has developed a protocol for taping comfortably. The 52-year-old New Zealand-based naturopathic doctor sticks a strip of surgical tape on her forearm to reduce some of its stickiness before sliding into bed to watch something with her husband on their laptop. When ready to sleep, she kisses her spouse, rolls over and moves the tape from arm to mouth.

“He knows when I’ve forgotten,” Ms. Briden says. Her husband, Jonathan Briden, has considered taping her mouth during her slumber but concluded he didn’t want to cross that line.

Nasal breathing can also make the nose release nitric oxide, which, among other benefits, makes sleep deeper, according to studies over the past three decades.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

That potential intrigued Amy Nosta, a 51-year-old mom who home schools her children in New Jersey. So did the appeal of silencing her sleeping partner. “The loud squeak gets the grease,” says her husband, John Nosta, 63, who runs a think tank focusing on technology in healthcare.

After Mrs. Nosta learned about mouth taping from Instagram last year, the couple found it worked on them both and say the upsides outweigh the diminished nighttime enunciation. “It’s garbled,” she says, “but you can still understand.”

The remedy’s benefits are largely anecdotal. The best-known mouth-taping-related research comes from Taiwan, where scientists studied whether sealing the mouths of 30 patients with “habitual open-mouth breathing” could reduce snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, in which people might temporarily stop breathing. In a study published in 2015, they concluded that a patch, similar to tape, was useful in doing just that.

Another researcher, Dr. Ann Kearney of Stanford University’s Voice and Swallowing Center, says she is organizing a similar study she hopes will include 300 patients.

Dr. Park, the mouth-taping advocate, says that while tape might benefit people with mild sleep apnea, he suspects it won’t help people with more severe forms of the condition.

Mr. Gesualdi of Rhode Island, age 74, had long tried to tame his thunderous snoring, which his wife once brought to his attention with tape-recorded evidence. He tried a retainer-like oral appliance, but it was uncomfortable, shifted his teeth and didn’t always stay on all night.

A SomniFix strip. The company’s CEO says he tested prototypes firsthand; ‘I ended up being the guinea pig.’ PHOTO: SOMNIFIX
Mrs. Gesualdi, who runs a women’s boutique and says she’s in her 70s, sometimes resorted to moving to another bed. “Of course he didn’t like that,” she says. “But let’s face it: If someone constantly woke you up when you’re in a deep sleep and you have work the next day, would you be happy?”

The high-school sweethearts were receptive when they saw the SomniFix pitch on “Shark Tank,” and Mr. Gesualdi bought the product online that same evening. The tape worked, Mrs. Gesualdi says, and gave her a new bedtime routine: asking her husband if the tape is on and hoping for a muffled “yes.” He once wore tape on an overnight flight to Europe.

“After all these years of being married to me and listening to me snore and all the craziness, I need to give my wife eight hours of sleep,” Mr. Gesualdi says. “Otherwise she’s a bear.”

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Sunrise
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2024, 04:50:30 AM »
Light Matters: The Simple Morning Ritual That Could Transform Your Health
Explore the profound health benefits of a daily sunrise and sunset ritual.
(slhy/Shutterstock)
Sheramy Tsai
By Sheramy Tsai
2/8/2024
Updated:
2/8/2024

In our fast-paced world, with late-night scrolling, demanding work schedules, and parenting stretching into the wee hours, the temptation of the morning snooze button is stronger than ever.

For many, getting up early is unappealing, given the well-documented importance of sleep. However, new research suggests that experiencing the sunrise could be one of the most important things you do for your health each day.

Neuroscientist Andrew Huberman lists morning sunlight as one of six fundamental pillars of health alongside daily exercise or movement, quality nutrition, managing stress, healthy relationships, and restorative sleep.

“Getting sunlight in your eyes first thing in the morning is absolutely vital to mental and physical health,” he asserts in a podcast. Morning sunlight triggers a timely release of cortisol, aligning with the body’s natural rhythm. He emphasizes this practice as possibly the most critical daily activity for metabolic health, hormonal function, and positive mental health.

The Spectrum of Light at Sunrise

With the popularity of red light therapy and other light-based treatments, there’s a growing interest in artificial sources such as LEDs and lasers. While these all offer effective therapeutic effects, the sun is our primal, potent, and free source of light therapy.
At daybreak, the horizon presents more than a beautiful canvas; it offers a spectrum of light crucial for our well-being. Sunrise combines unique light wavelengths, each impacting the body differently.

The morning sun’s blue light also offers benefits. Unlike harmful blue light from screens, natural morning blue light is essential for waking us up by raising cortisol levels and setting our circadian rhythm for the day.

Infrared light, though invisible to the naked eye, is another component of morning sunlight. While we can’t see this light, it penetrates deep into the eyes and tissues. It is thought to have healing properties, aiding in cell repair and regeneration. This light is also crucial for the synchronization of our internal biological clocks, aligning our sleep-wake cycle with the natural day-night rhythm.

Dawn’s Early Light Syncs Our Internal Clock

Before clocks, our internal response to light served as a natural timekeeper. The brain houses light-sensitive cells in the eyes that send signals to the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), which acts as the central pacemaker for our internal body clock.
Our body’s sensitivity to light peaks during three key times: the first hour after waking, two hours before bedtime, and at night. Utilizing these phases of daylight helps regulate circadian rhythm.

Jay Neitz, a renowned professor of ophthalmology and a color vision researcher at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine, reminds us of the profound effect of natural light, especially at sunrise and sunset, on our brains.

Mr. Neitz’s research has revealed the role of specialized cells in our retinas, known as ipRGCs (intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells), which are crucial in regulating our internal clocks and influencing our mood and alertness levels.
These cells “do not respond to white light but are very responsive to the blue, yellow, and orange colors of the sky at sunrise and sunset,” he tells The Epoch Times. This color sensitivity is vital for resetting our internal clock each day. Exposure to the colorful dawn sky activates these ipRGCs, sending signals to our brain’s master clock to align it with the new day.

Lacking this natural reset, our rhythm can misalign, causing delayed waking and sleep difficulties.

“When the internal clock is delayed, people have to be up when the internal clock says they should be sleeping in the morning,” Mr. Neitz notes, underscoring the internal clock’s impact on sleep and well-being.

Nearly all life on Earth is deeply connected to the cycle of the sun. A University of Cambridge study reveals an early morning burst of plant activity, linking it to the sunrise. They found that within an hour of dawn, plants see a gene activity surge in light response, stress, and growth hormones. This “dawn burst” aligns plant circadian rhythms with the day-night cycle, affecting flowering and growth.

Morning Sunlight: A Natural Mood Enhancer and Brain Booster

The day’s first light significantly enhances mood and cognition. A growing body of research indicates that exposure to morning sunlight can profoundly impact our mental health and brain performance.
“Morning light improves mood by increasing serotonin levels, increasing alertness, and shifting or stabilizing circadian rhythms,” Helen Burgess, from the University of Michigan, told The Epoch Times. Studies show morning light therapy can match antidepressants in improving mood.
Mood enhancement from morning light goes beyond happiness, offering health benefits. By elevating serotonin levels, morning light helps reduce pain, she explained in a webinar.
“The circadian photoreceptors in the brain are most responsive to blue wavelengths,” which naturally occur at dawn, Ms. Burgess explained.

A study in the Journal of Sleep Research demonstrates that exposure to bright light in the morning can notably increase alertness. The research on college students found that just 1 1/2 hours of bright light early in the day not only improved sleep quality but also significantly reduced morning sleepiness, emphasizing the role of morning light in enhancing daily alertness.
Incorporating morning light into daily routines is like using a natural medicine. Ms. Burgess draws parallels between food as medicine and morning light’s potential role, positioning morning sunlight as a vital element of health.

How to Harness Morning Sunlight for Better Health

Incorporating morning sunlight into daily routines can boost health, as Mr. Huberman notes. Here are practical tips for maximizing morning sunlight benefits:
Aim for sunlight within the first 30 to 60 minutes after waking, ideally within five minutes of sunrise, ideally before seeing artificial light.
Adjust duration based on weather: at least five minutes on sunny days, 10 minutes on cloudy days, and 30 minutes on overcast days.
Being outside is crucial, as windows may block essential wavelengths.
Direct eye contact with the sun isn’t necessary; looking in its direction without directly staring at it is sufficient.
Use regular contacts or glasses, but not sunglasses or blue-light blockers.
Strive for morning light exposure on at least 80 percent of days.
Evening sunset viewing signals the day’s end to your body, countering artificial light effects.
Post-sunset, minimize bright artificial lights, opting for dim, low-level lighting.
While there’s no perfect replacement for the natural light of morning, if it isn’t readily available where you live, consider creative alternatives such as using a ring light. This practice, crucial for aligning your circadian rhythm, also significantly boosts your mood and focus. Modifying indoor lighting to mimic the natural light cycle can be a beneficial workaround in less-than-ideal conditions.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Sunrise
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2024, 07:36:20 AM »
I'm a Fellow with an international caving org and have been on numerous long trips* running 12 to 36 hours. As such I have exited a cave system after missing a sunrise/sunset cycle a bunch of times and have noted how walking out into light after long exposure to the dark is both disorientating and creates some odd psychological impacts. Often after a long trip you are pretty beat, but as soon as sunlight hits you a "wake up! It's morning!" sensation sweeps through you. I find that lasts about an hour or so, about enough time to get back into camp and load a plate of food when an overwhelming sense of tiredness lands on you and you about fall asleep where you sit and plant your face in your food. Bottom line, I think there is a lot to this piece as it conforms to sensations I've dealt with when well off the beaten path.

*There are two basic hard core cave exploration techniques: siege caving and assault caving. Europeans tend to do more of the siege stuff where a huge cadre of speleo-sherpas support four or so cave scientists for trips lasting a week or more, camp(s) get set up underground complete with a sleeping area, kitchen, and so on.

We Americans tend to not like playing hired help for caving aristocrats so we prefer assault caving where lightly outfitted teams of 3 or 4 cave hard and fast to the point where the cave has been explored and mapped and then start exploring and surveying from there. I've been on trips where it takes 10 hours to get to the point of exploration. As you've invested all that time getting there you want to survey for AT LEAST 8 hours, and by that time between the additional distance you are from the point of entry and tiredness you are now 12 hours from the entrance. Bottom line, when that sunlight hits your face your internal clock--which is already out of whack--does a hard reset and you head spins some.

Explore the profound health benefits of a daily sunrise and sunset ritual.
(slhy/Shutterstock)
Sheramy Tsai
By Sheramy Tsai