Author Topic: The Way forward for Republican party  (Read 53689 times)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: the way forward
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2023, 09:06:00 AM »
we should hire the Wagner group
when they are freed up

:wink:

Already working for the GAE.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2023, 06:32:34 AM »
Conservative groups release ads on school choice, abortion

Aim to create message GOP can rally behind

BY KERRY PICKET THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Two conservative organizations recently released separate hard-hitting ad campaigns tackling school choice and abortion.

The ads take aggressive stances on two issues the GOP has had difficulty finding unifying messages to rally behind.

Thefirst ad was produced by the political watchdog group Unleash Prosperity Now, which criticizes Democrats’ opposition to school choice as being no different than support for school segregation over 60 years ago.

The political watchdog group Unleash Prosperity Now produced the ad “Education Fairness for All.” It is part of a combined digital and TV campaign and compares several present-day Democratic politicians to the late Democratic Alabama Gov. George Wallace.

Wallace became well known for his opposition to integrating schools in the 1960s, and he coined the phrase, “Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever.”

“In 1963, Alabama Gov. George Wallace stood

in the schoolhouse door to keep Black children out of the best schools. In 2023, a new generation of George Wallace Democrats is again blocking schoolhouse doors, opposing popular school choice programs,” the ad’s voiceover says.

“In states like New York, Arizona, Illinois, Nevada, North Carolina and Texas, Democrats are fighting programs that give Black and Hispanic parents the ability to send their kids to the best possible schools. Yet, many of these same politicians send their own kids to private schools. It’s time for every child in America to finally have equal access to good schools.”

The second ad, launched by the prolife organization Live Action, uses humor through a series of young individuals who complain they are in “dark times” because the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last year, thereby making most abortions illegal in many states.

So now, they say in depressed and exasperated tones, they have to learn about their potential sex partners and talk about taking responsibility before having sex with one another.

“Now that Roe v, Wade is overturned, a woman can get pregnant just from having sex,” one woman says in the tonguein- cheek video.

One man says, “I’m not seriously considering going down the dangerous path of abstinence until marriage.”

Another woman says, “I find myself in this really bizarre state where I’m asking guys about things like their values and trustworthiness before sleeping with them.”

Another man says, “Before a girl will have sex with me now, she’s asking me all these dumb questions like: ‘Do you love me?’ and, ‘What happens if I get pregnant?’ and, ‘Do you have a job?’ I don’t know.”

Another young woman finally concludes that she has a radical new idea to make the adjustment more manageable by creating a contract between couples before they have sex.

“I think that a man and a woman, before they have sex, need to draw up some sort of contract that says, I promised to take care of you, and you promised to take care of me,” she says. “And we both promised to take care of any kids that we produced together. I know. It’s shocking. But that kind of contract is the only way that I see us moving forward.”

An off-camera voice tells her that she is describing marriage. She first denies it but she suddenly catches herself.

On the other side of the abortion debate, Democrats have already launched campaign ads stressing the importance of the right to an abortion

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Coulter on strategy
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
not clear I agree

but some food for thought:

https://anncoulter.com/2023/08/02/breaking-trump-still-an-idiot/

The just is forget about endless back and forth with the Dem machine

They will NEVER listen anyway

and since their goal is to flood 98% of the airways with reminding us what a danger Trump as though we have not heard it so many times for 7 to 8 hrs

we should refute it quickly and  move on to our winning issues
and policy and ideology

instead of HIM.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
if McConnell was not so selfish he could retire and we'd be fine
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/09/02/kentuckys-democratic-governor-wont-commit-to-naming-a-republican-if-sen-mcconnell-retires-n1723965

I have no idea where to post this.
For the life of me cannot find the congressional/senate thread
it disintegrated

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kurt Schlicter
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2023, 08:19:58 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/09/07/stop-dooming-n2628004

Message to us (and GM) -  don't give up.

Kurt as smart as me (  :-D ) also concludes Trump can't win ( though I admit anything is possible) and laments he is the one that at this time looks like will be the candidate.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Way forward for Republican party
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2023, 07:35:00 AM »
Just shared that with GM  :-D :-D :-D

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »
"Just shared that with GM  :-D :-D :-D"

I hope this is not his response ===>.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

:-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2023, 03:33:03 AM »
 :-D

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Boebert
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »
No need to comment on recent embarrassing episode

Question is , is she a net negative or positive for us?

I don't have a clue.

But she does have an election coming up next yr I think .
What a foolish fiasco

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2023, 02:25:27 PM »
Car Bans Could be a Deciding Factor in 2024
- Daniel Greenfield

9 Democrat-run states, California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington, have moved to ban cars by 2035.

The Biden administration has exploited EPA emissions standards to accomplish the same thing.

The green push to ban cars and force everyone to buy electric vehicles is a core part of the program and also highly unpopular with families struggling with high prices and inflation. Electric vehicles are far more expensive and much less reliable than cars and most can’t afford them.

59% of Americans oppose a ban on cars while only 40% support it. But, in worse news for banners, support for the ban has consistently fallen over the last years by 7% while opposition to it has increased. Republicans and Independents are obviously stalwartly opposed, but even among Democrats, opposition has grown until a third of Dems is opposed.

On a state by state level, opposition remains strong even in states whose Democrat governors unwisely chose to sign on to a 2035 car ban date. In Maryland, 60% opposed Gov. Wes Moore’s car ban while in New Jersey some 58% are opposed including 42% of Democrats. In Washington, 48% opposed Gov. Jay Inslee’s car ban while 38% backed it. Of those who opposed it, 31% were strongly opposed.

In Virginia, which was put on track to a car ban by following California’s illegal emissions mandates, 58% oppose a gas car ban while only 33% support it. Tellingly, while 42% strongly oppose a car ban only 12% strongly support one. Even among Democrats, support and opposition are nearly tied 44% to 43%. In Minnesota, 65% oppose a car ban while only 29% support it. (47% strongly oppose the ban while only 9% strongly support it.)

Nationwide, support for car bans is strongest among urban voters. And yet even there, ban backing never quite tops 50%. In suburban areas, support drops down to 31% and rural areas falls all the way to 24%. That stands to reason because to whatever extent electric vehicles are viable, it’s only in the core density of major urban areas. Outside them, they’re unusable.

Polls also shows support for a car ban is tied to income. Even the cheapest electric vehicles are out of the price range of most Americans. That’s why opposition to car bans climbs for families making less than $40,000 and even those making up to $80,000. The proposed car ban means families being unable to replace their minivan. It means mothers who can’t drop off their kids at school and fathers who can’t drive to work.

A car ban is an extinction level event for American families. If it goes through, 53% of Americans won’t be able to buy a car. Imagine how much their lives will change.

Pro-ban politicians act as if there will be a smooth transition from cars to electric vehicles.

The reality is that electric vehicles are not viable in any way, shape or form. America’s biggest car companies have spent and lost billions trying to make electric vehicles.

Ford is losing $32,000 on every electric car it sells. In 2023, it lost $3 billion on its EV boondoggle. Ford claimed that it will make 2 million electric cars by 2025 (at which point it would then lose $64 billion) but it only sold 61,575 electric vehicles in 2022. GM shut down the Chevy Bolt, its cheapest electric vehicle after losing $7,400 on every one it sold. It promises to profitably sell 1 million electric vehicles in 2025, but it only sold 44,000 at a loss in 2022.

The math on electric vehicles simply does not work. Many people point to Tesla. But the truth about Tesla is it made money through the fines that California imposed on makers and buyers of cars. In 2022, Tesla made $1.78 billion from carbon credit sales. Companies that make actual cars have to buy the credits from Musk’s Saudi company and pass on the cost to consumers.

While subsidizing electric vehicles for the rich by fining working class car owners worked well enough for Tesla, it’s not a pathway to shifting the entire country over to electric cars. What will really happen by 2025 is that the vast majority of Americans will be cut off from the market. They’ll be left trying to keep old cars and used cars on the road for as long as possible.

Why aren’t politicians talking more about this? Some are operating in the D.C. bubble and don’t recognize the profound impact this will have on the lives of hundreds of millions of people. Others see a 2035 deadline as being so far in the future that it doesn’t need to be dealt with now. And still others are constantly reacting to a passing parade of crises and outrages.

Car bans are far from the only issue out there, but it could have a deciding impact in 2024.

Democrats have committed to a policy that is wildly unpopular outside their small base of urban college graduates who idealize 15 minute cities navigated by bike shares. And they’ve done so with limited pushback from a Republican party that is schizophrenic and feckless in its inability to focus, to make a coherent case and to message on the things that actually matter to voters.

The car bans are an act of cultural, social and economic warfare by an urban elite against the rest of the country. If successful, they would make life all but impossible in rural areas, and increasingly challenging in many suburban areas. They would tear apart families, wreck jobs and push struggling people underwater.

Politicians have gone from two cars in every garage to no cars in the garage at all.

It’s hard to think of any single policy to devastating in its scope and so likely to outrage the working class voters that Republicans are trying to court as car bans. And yet Republicans are failing to talk about them because they are as detached as Democrats from the consequences.

Republicans assumed that they would win in 2022 by passively profiting from the miserable economy. The midterms proved that to be a profound miscalculation. If Republicans want to politically profit from the poor economy, they have to do more than put up stickers pointing a finger at Biden. They have to connect the economic misery directly to Biden’s policies.

Car bans could be a deciding factor in 2024, but only if Republicans and moderate Democrats talk about them. Otherwise another disastrous radical policy will bury much of the country.

"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Way forward for Republicans, not the way, Hemingway Lankford
« Reply #311 on: December 04, 2023, 05:29:54 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2023/12/04/to-win-republicans-have-to-be-smarter-and-tougher-than-sen-james-lankford/

Post updated to include full text.  These questioners need to be called out.

To Win, Republicans Have To Be Smarter And Tougher Than Sen. James Lankford
BY: MOLLIE HEMINGWAY
DECEMBER 04, 2023

You win elections by saying truthful things, not being sad and scared like Lankford and most other Republican senators are.

Career Democrat and ABC host George Stephanopoulos completely emasculated Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma this weekend on his Sunday show. Right at the beginning of the interview, Stephanopoulos advanced a flurry of disinformation and lies, to which Lankford, who purports to be a conservative senator of the burgundy-red state of Oklahoma, bowed down in complete supplication:

Stephanopoulos: Your party’s leading candidate for president was on the stump yesterday repeating lies about the 2020 election. He’s called those convicted in the Jan. 6 insurrection hostages. He faces 91 separate felony counts himself. He’s raised the prospect of executing the former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and terminating parts of the Constitution. In the face of all that and more, are you prepared to support Donald Trump if he’s your party’s nominee? 

Oh, for crying out loud. What an absolutely preposterous line of questioning. Any Republican elected official with a room-temperature IQ and even a modicum of self-respect would be livid at the propaganda and lies and immediately push back. But not Lankford. Here’s how he responded:

Lankford: Yes, we haven’t had a single vote yet, George. This is still weeks and weeks away from our first votes that are happening actually in Iowa, then New Hampshire and South Carolina. And there are a lot of people that are going to make that decision. That’s not going to be me making that decision, that’s going to be the American people that actually make that decision. 

Stephanopoulos pressed him, and Lankford remained impotent in the face of the questioning. In fact, he was so bad throughout the interview, he even quoted Alejandro Mayorkas, Biden’s controversial homeland security secretary, as a role model on immigration enforcement. The entire state of Oklahoma looked worse as it went on.

She writes what he said and what he could've should've said. Will update...
Now, Lankford is more than welcome to stay out of the Republican primary or endorse whomever he thinks is the best candidate, but what he should not feel free to do is allow the corrupt media and other Democrats to destroy the country through propaganda and lies. Americans are absolutely desperate for even the tiniest bit of Republican backbone and leadership, not mealy-mouthed kowtowing to the press.

When you claim to be a conservative senator of a state so Republican that two out of every three voters in 2020 voted for Trump, and a lifelong Democrat operative in the media asks you a completely loaded agitprop question, you should hit it out of the park. Like so:

“First off, George, your audience should know that you just regurgitated back a diatribe of lies, mistruths, and Democrat propaganda. I’m not surprised, given your professional background and track record of maliciously pushing the false and dangerous Russia-collusion scam for so many years during and after the 2016 election, but I can’t allow your lies to go uncorrected.

“The public knows full well there were major issues in how the 2020 election was conducted — from Mark Zuckerberg’s more than $400 million on partisan get-out-the-vote efforts in key swing states, to the deliberate Hunter Biden laptop suppression that the major news and tech companies along with 51 intel officials participated in, to the tens of millions of mail-in-ballots and voting changes that did not follow state laws. So drop the dishonest, holier-than-thou nonsense about 2020 being the cleanest, most perfect election with nothing allowed to be scrutinized or discussed.

“Second, the public is also wising up to the fact that what the corporate media have spun to them about Jan. 6 hasn’t exactly been the complete truth. Yes, we know your line that this was the worst moment in the history of the world, requiring our FBI to do nothing other than arrest people who were anywhere near the event. Well, that, and arrest pro-lifers who are praying and parents who are attending school board meetings.

“But most Americans know that we have not gotten good answers about why Nancy Pelosi turned down security provisions ahead of what intelligence suggested would be a very contentious day, or what exactly was being done by the federal informants and federal agents who were present for the day’s events. They’re extremely worried about how left-wing rioters and criminals seem to be able to do whatever they want with very few repercussions, even when they’re attacking the Supreme Court, federal courthouses, the White House, churches, homes, and police precincts. And now with the release of some of the videotapes from that day, we see that most of the activity that day was not in any way what was hyped up and presented by the Democrats’ Jan. 6 show trial.

“Finally, the Biden administration is at this moment doing everything in its power to put their leading political opponent in prison. They raided Mar-a-Lago, George. When other countries do things like this, when Putin does stuff like this, we say that means they don’t have free and fair elections. It seems the Democrats’ main strategy this election cycle is to attempt to put effective Republicans in prison, to bankrupt them, and to prevent them from speaking out about what is being done to destroy this country. I’ll note this isn’t working with the American people, as Trump now leads widely in almost all polls against Biden, a strong renunciation of what’s going on.

“So I ask you, George, are you prepared to start focusing on the major policy issues facing the country, or will you continue to push lies and propaganda to help put your political opponents in prison?”

You know, something like that.

To state the obvious
here, using small words so that even the absolutely feckless and embarrassingly lame Senate Republicans can understand, praising Mayorkas, failing to correct lies about Republicans, and mumbling about how you’ll vote Republican if you are forced to is not a way to win elections. Yes, I’m sure it’s what Mitch McConnell told Lankford to go out and do, but it yields nothing but failure. The people of Oklahoma deserve an actual man to represent them, not whatever it is they’re getting in Lankford.

You win elections by saying truthful things, not being sad and scared like Lankford and most other Republican senators are. He should be lambasting Stephanopoulos for not covering the major issues facing the country in an even remotely evenhanded or honest way.

That’s how you go from being a party full of absolute losers who are on their back heels constantly to one that makes people want to vote for you.

Mollie Ziegler Hemingway is the Editor-in-Chief of The Federalist.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 11:21:35 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 04, 2023, 06:05:47 AM »
pay walled
seems like more and more sites are doing this

PJ media
at times
Townhall etc.

Kurt Schlicter had scathing criticism of McDaniel who so far is failing at fund raising at allied lawfare and had never won an election cycle.
He does point out Trump seems to really be ahead though we all know that can change overnight.
He is not convinced Trump is likely to win.  I am more optimistic but not convinced by any margin of error.

oh here it is, not paywalled:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/12/04/can-trump-actually-win-in-november-n2631909

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mollie Hemingway
« Reply #313 on: December 04, 2023, 10:39:45 AM »
Doug's article here:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/12/04/to-win-republicans-have-to-be-smarter-and-tougher-than-sen-james-lankford/

Agree with Mollie 100%
tired of idiot Repubs going on enemy broadcasts
and agreeing with the enemy party

Screw you Ken Buck, Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger etc.

And very screw you Stephahopolous ! and Dana Bash and the list is way to long to post.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Way forward for Republican party, Winsome Sears
« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2023, 06:54:20 AM »
On Fox News Sunday, Virginia Lt Gov Winsome Sears,

"We must go after every vote."

I will add video and transcript links.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2023, 07:20:04 AM »
What I have seen of her is quite strong.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2023, 07:25:06 AM »
On Fox News Sunday, Virginia Lt Gov Winsome Sears,

"We must go after every vote."

I will add video and transcript links.

Perhaps she should be head of RNC

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2023, 07:33:18 AM »
I'm sure she would do a fine job, but I'm thinking US Senator would be a better use of her.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Watching the Woke Go Broke
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2023, 08:48:14 PM »
Look: points the Republicans should hammer on at every opportunity.

Wokesters Without Endowments

Could it be that progressive leftists are running out of other people’s money? Perhaps not yet on a number of famous campuses, but wokesters without gargantuan endowments seem to be having an increasingly hard time funding radical politics in a world of competing priorities.

Rich Kremer reports for Wisconsin Public Radio, which is staffed by employees of the University of Wisconsin-Madison:
The Universities of Wisconsin will have the opportunity to give pay raises to its 34,000 employees and build a new $347 million engineering building in Madison under a deal approved Wednesday by the Board of Regents. But the universities will also freeze DEI staffing through 2026 and eliminate or refocus about 40 positions focused on diversity.

The vote was the second in five days by the board, and follows a months-long stalemate between the board and Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, who blocked funding for the raises over objections to campus diversity, equity and inclusion programs and staffing...
In a statement after the vote, Vos said “Republicans know this is just the first step in what will be our continuing efforts to eliminate these cancerous DEI practices on UW campuses.”

Speaking of the fight against cancers, imagine the possibilities for life-enhancing innovation if Wisconsin can now move beyond simply freezing DEI positions and instead convert all of them to new openings in medical research. Reasonable people might argue that the political activists should be replaced entirely by mathematicians, but this is the sort of healthy debate that should flourish on a vibrant campus driven by courageous curiosity.

Meanwhile on the West Coast it’s now looking nearly impossible to fund what would have been the country’s most expensive and unjust experiment in civic wokeness. Jose Martinez reports for CBS News in San Francisco:
The future of African-American reparations in San Francisco is facing an uncertain future after Mayor London Breed announced that a proposed office won’t be funded due to budget cuts.

The office would have been a precursor to attempting to redistribute money from people who never owned slaves to people who were never enslaved. It wasn’t just the principle of such a plan that was troubling, or the difficulty of trying to precisely define the level of ancestral guilt or victimhood within the great American melting pot. It was also the money. In March this column noted the work of a city-appointed reparations committee and asked:

How massive would this new race-based spending scheme end up being? “The committee hasn’t done an analysis of the cost of the proposals,” reported the AP at the time.

But Lee Ohanian, a fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution, examined the work of the committee and wrote in January:
I have analyzed some parts of this proposal and estimate that its cost, presented on a per-household basis, will be nearly $600,000 per non–African American San Francisco household.

He warned that “this estimate may be too low” but provided a ballpark number of recipients set to receive the proposed payouts:
Paying $5 million to 35,455 individuals totals about $175 billion. To put this in perspective, the city’s budget for the current fiscal year is $14 billion, while this proposed sum exceeds the current state budgets of all US states except for California, New York, and Texas.
Speaking of Texas, it would surely become the new home for much of San Francisco’s current population if this proposal is ever enacted.
As for the San Franciscans who haven’t left yet, both opponents and supporters of reparations now seem to be getting fed up with the results of municipal governance. Mr. Martinez of CBS reports:

Marquis Muhammad, a long-time resident and business owner in San Francisco’s Fillmore District, expressed frustration over the pace and approach of African-American reparations in the city.

“I am a victim... so you see me out here with my products right here on Fillmore…I’ve been here since 1999 and my customer base has moved out of the city,” said Muhammad.

Perhaps what’s most in need of repair are the incentives to stay in places like the City by the Bay. The remaining voters seem to be catching on. Joel Kotkin writes at UnHerd:

Is sanity finally returning to America’s blue cities? The places that incubated inept policies such as “defund the police” and “sanctuary cities”, but welcomed open-air drug use, are beginning to have second thoughts. In Seattle, Portland and San Francisco... lawmakers are looking at ways to curb public drug use — a move that has been symptomatic of a wider pushback against progressive policies.

Take Houston as a different example. This week, progressives lost two-to-one in the mayor’s race, electing a moderate Democrat, John Whitmire, and rejecting Barbara Lee, one of the reliably far-Left Democrats in Congress. In addition, the city elected more conservatives and moderates to the city council.

In Houston, as elsewhere, crime was cited as by far the city’s biggest issue. It was also behind the defeat last month of a Soros-backed prosecutor candidate in Pittsburgh’s district attorney race and in Seattle’s contest for city attorney, which a Republican won.
For years this column has been trying without success to find an example of a great civilization built by progressive leftists. One hates to sound like a pessimist but the project now seems doomed to failure.

James Freeman is the co-author of “The Cost: Trump, China and American Revival” and also the co-author of “Borrowed Time: Two Centuries of Booms, Busts and Bailouts at Citi.”

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Watching the Woke Go Broke
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2023, 07:04:06 AM »
Good to see any evidence of their dominance slowing. 

From the article: "crime was cited as by far the city’s biggest issue (Houston). It was also behind the defeat last month of a Soros-backed prosecutor candidate in Pittsburgh’s district attorney race and in Seattle’s contest for city attorney, which a Republican won."

In my state (MN) we have a Soros Sec of State and a Louis Farrakhan Attorney General.  Those two are the voters' fault, but at the legislative level the woke Left candidates have typically 6:1 or more advantage in political contributions that seem to come to them out of thin air - from far away.  The money seems unlimited while conservatives are typically blocked by tech and social media from reaching their audience.

Every victory of the right or loss of the Left (cf. Trump wins once,  U Penn President resigns) seems only like a pause in the march to Leftism. 

Conservatives are putting their money in the mattress while Liberals give it out like candy.

Any progress at UW Madison is welcome; maybe we can get 1% of the student body to split away from Leftism.  Meanwhile there aren't any conservative professors applying much less getting hired.  The bigger progress seems to be the (coming?) fall of so called higher education rather the any chance of them attaining any semblance of balance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 07:19:03 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Trump vs the non-RINOs.
« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2024, 06:08:07 AM »
Trump vs. the Non-RINOs
DeSantis and Haley are both products of the Republican Party he transformed.
Kimberley A. Strassel
Jan. 11, 2024 6:26 pm ET

Even if Donald Trump doesn’t become the 2024 Republican presidential nominee, he will have left his stamp on the GOP. His biggest legacy is the one he most steadfastly refuses to acknowledge, as it’s become his biggest headache. Mr. Trump isn’t at risk from any “RINOs.” He made sure of it.

With just days to the Iowa caucuses, the front-runner is getting a bit nervous and trashing his top rivals hourly. Nikki Haley is berated as a tax hiker, a Social-Security robber, a border-fence softie. Mr. DeSantis gets hit for a long-ago vote against ethanol, his handling of the pandemic and taxes. The attacks are often false or misleading, and so it goes.

Mr. Trump’s favorite line—his standby crack, his go-to zinger—is that he’s running against “establishment” candidates—Republicans in name only, “weak” and “ineffective” wimps who bow to corporate and political “elites.” Close your eyes, and it’s almost as if Mr. Trump is back on the 2015 debate stage tearing up Jeb Bush or John Kasich.

Only this isn’t your daddy’s GOP, and that’s thanks to Mr. Trump. Eight years ago tens of millions of Americans handed him the GOP nomination—and then the presidency—for one reason alone: to send a message to the Republican Party and Washington. They were tired of leaders who tiptoed around sensitive topics like the environment, who ladled subsidies on big business, who ducked flashpoint cultural issues, who took dictation from U.S.-despising international organizations. They wanted someone who would throw a punch, and Mr. Trump loves the roundhouse.

The Republican Party may tend toward self-sabotage, but its leaders aren’t stupid. The Trump-voter message was received, absorbed and in some cases put into practice under the man himself. Mr. Trump is correct that his initial endorsement of Mr. DeSantis helped the Floridian win his 2018 governor’s race, even if he now neglects to mention that Mr. DeSantis earned it by running as a Trump-like pugilist. “We have some absolute warriors,” said Mr. Trump in 2018, singling Mr. DeSantis out as a “true FIGHTER” and praising him for being “strong on Borders, tough on Crime, & big on Cutting Taxes.”

To the extent Ms. Haley became nationally known, it’s because she served as Mr. Trump’s combative ambassador to the United Nations, shocking internationalists by withdrawing the U.S. from the Human Rights Council, vigorously defending Israel and berating Iran, and championing U.S. withdrawal from the Paris climate accords. At her 2018 resignation press conference, Mr. Trump extolled her for a “fantastic job,” praised her as someone who “gets it,” and credited her with making America “very much respected again” by revitalizing the ambassadorship into “a more important position.”

All this makes the former president’s claims that he’s running against a RINO Borg laughable. Mr. DeSantis didn’t burst onto the stage by bending the knee to elites. He earned scorn from blue-state and public-health officials by reopening Florida in May 2020. He picked fights with corporate titans from Disney and Anheuser-Busch to the ESG investment-manager cabal. He infuriated the left by shipping migrants to Martha’s Vineyard, for goodness sake. Ms. Haley, far from a pushover, is touting her own rock-solid conservative agenda. How brassy is she? Brassy enough to call out Mr. Trump on his own “establishment” record—his refusal to confront the entitlement crisis, his rolling over for Covid-era slush-fund spending, and his coddling of foreign strongmen like Vladimir Putin.

Mr. Trump might be taking a victory lap. Instead, he understandably sees in this new generation not flattery but a real threat. Mr. Trump won in 2016 by playing the double outsider—nonpolitician, antiestablishment. Only he is a politician now—four years in office will do that to you—while his top rivals are anything but the “uniparty.” Mr. Trump can get away with likening them to Mitt Romney so long as voters aren’t paying much attention. But if the primary after New Hampshire becomes a true one-on-one race, voters will have more opportunity to evaluate a remaining rival on the merits. The RINO claim will fall flat.

One risk for Mr. DeSantis and Ms. Haley is that they follow the Trump model too closely and descend into the sort of name-calling and cat-fighting that popped up in their Wednesday night debate. Conservatives admire Mr. Trump’s fight, but many have grown weary of the attendant drama. And that helps account for the half or more of early-state voters who want someone else. It’s possible to be a warrior without being spiteful, and voters want a nominee who puts winning and getting things done ahead of settling scores.

Americans can debate how Mr. Trump has helped or hurt the GOP, but voters shouldn’t kid themselves that this is the Republican Party of 2016. Least of all Mr. Trump. RINOs are today the endangered species. Mr. Trump is facing a far more spirited pack—one he was instrumental in creating.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
The True Political Divide
« Reply #326 on: January 19, 2024, 02:27:36 AM »
This WSJ opinion piece could abide in several categories though, perhaps embracing undue optimism, I put it here and hope Republicans, particularly those with higher ed creds, embrace its message.

The group scrutinized are the vocational fish among which I swim. I never cease marveling their utter inability to address pressing problems promptly, the irrelevant structures and strictures upon which they overlay on everything, and indeed the fact they can’t empty a wingtip Oxford full of urine without a printing a dissertation on the heel.

They should be easy to beat, their structures and strictures all sorts of abandonable due to their utter ineffectiveness, irreproducibility, and failure to deliver on myriad adamant claims. All that is required if for those of us able to empty a fluid filled shoe without consulting elaborate instructions to loudly and frequently state the obvious: these imperious, supposedly educated, would be overlords sporting the tams issued by their Ivy League or putatively lesser schools are naked regardless of how shrilly they claim to be sporting new diverse, equitable, and inclusive climate change and pronoun appropriate clothes:

The Them-vs.-Us Election

By Kimberley A. Strassel

Most Americans wouldn’t consider a banking titan a spokesman for the common man. But give JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon credit for putting his pinkie finger on the phenomenon—the divide—that best explains today’s unsettled political environment.

In an interview Wednesday with CNBC, Mr. Dimon took issue with a disconnected liberal elite that scorns “MAGA” voters. “The Democrats have done a pretty good job with the ‘deplorables’ hugging on to their bibles, and their beer and their guns. I mean, really? Could we just stop that stuff, and actually grow up, and treat other people with respect and listen to them a little bit?”

The powerful, the intellectual and the lazy have long said that the “divide” in this country is between rich and poor. They divvy up Americans along traditional lines related to wealth—college, no college, white-collar, blue-collar, income—then layer on other demographics. This framing has given us the “diploma divide” and the “new suburban voter” and “Hillbilly Elegy.” It’s sent the political class scrambling to understand Donald Trump’s “forgotten man”—again, defined economically.

That framing fails to account for the country’s unsettled electorate. There’s a better description of the shifts both between and within the parties, a split that better explains changing voter demographics and growing populist sentiments. It’s the chasm between a disconnected elite and average Americans. This is becoming a them-vs.-us electorate and election. Political candidates, take heed.

This gulf is described by unique new polling from Scott Rasmussen’s RMG Research, conducted for the Committee to Unleash Prosperity. Mr. Rasmussen says that for more than a year he’d been intrigued by consistent outlier data from a subset of Americans, which he later defined as those with a postgraduate degree, earning more than $150,000 a year, and living in a high-density area. Mr. Rasmussen in the fall conducted two surveys of these “elites” and compared their views to everyone else.

Talk about out of touch. Among the elite, 74% say their finances are getting better, compared with 20% of the rest of voters. (The share is 88% among elites who are Ivy League graduates.) The elite give President Biden an 84% approval rating, compared with 40% from non-elites. And their complete faith in fellow elites extends beyond Mr. Biden. Large majorities of them have a favorable view of university professors (89%), journalists (79%), lawyers and union leaders (78%) and even members of Congress (67%). Two-thirds say they’d prefer a candidate who said teachers and educational professionals, not parents, should decide what children are taught.

More striking is the elite view on bedrock American principles, central to the biggest political fights of today. Nearly 50% of elites believe the U.S. provides “too much individual freedom”—compared with nearly 60% of voters who believe there is too much “government control.” Seventy-seven percent of elites support “strict rationing of gas, meat, and electricity” to fight climate change, vs. 28% of everyone else. More than two-thirds of elite Ivy graduates favor banning things like gasoline-powered cars and stoves and inessential air travel in the name of the environment. More than 70% of average voters say they’d be unwilling to pay more than $100 a year in taxes or costs for climate—compared with 70% of elites who said they’d pay from $250 up to “whatever it takes.”

This framing explains today’s politics better. While this elite is small, its members are prominent in every major institution of American power, from media to universities to government to Wall Street, and have become more intent on imposing their agenda from above. Many American voters feel helplessly under assault from policies that ignore their situation or values.

What unites “rich” and “poor” parents in the revolt against educational failings? A common rejection of disconnected teachers unions and ivory-tower academics. Why are growing numbers of minorities—across all incomes and education levels—rejecting Democrats? They no longer recognize a progressive movement that reflexively espouses that elite view. Why are voters on both sides—including “free market” conservatives—gravitating to politicians who bash “big business” and trade and are increasingly isolationist? They feel the system is rigged by elites that care more about the globe than them. And why the continued appeal of Mr. Trump? The man is a walking promise to stick it to the “establishment” (never mind that most of his party’s establishment has endorsed him).

This lack of trust and cultural divide are no healthier than the simpler rich-poor split, but they’re there. The challenge for Mr. Trump’s GOP opponents as they move past Iowa is to recognize the sense of alienation. That doesn’t mean calling to burn everything down (Vivek Ramaswamy tried that and freaked people out), but it does require a campaign that offers more than vague promises to “strengthen the cause of freedom” or run on “your issues.” The polling suggests that most Americans are looking for a leader who promises to return power to the people. They are looking for a freedom agenda. Anyone?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ronna McDaniel
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2024, 05:40:21 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/08/ronna-mcdaniel-trump-step-down-00140291

It seems like the hatred or love of Trump dominates everything in Presidential politics today.

I am trying to figure out what she did wrong.
How much is her, how much is Trump?
Mismanagement? 

What could be done better?
I certainly don't have faith in Lara Trump....
Though she is only the proposed co chair.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 05:56:54 AM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Ronna McDaniel
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2024, 07:26:53 AM »
I don't know she did anything wrong except not find the path to winning.

Also there is no innovation in fund raising. We're getting killed on that front.  All they know how to do is hound people for money with scare tactics and no strategy.

Trump like Obama has had no positive coattails.

As we've said here for eons, our side has no clear, consistent, persuasive message.

The nominee is supposed to have control of the national party, but picking a family member is not too subtle.

Our nominee might win but he most certainly drives away certain very important groups.

We are in a trap and don't know our way out.  Democrats are in an even worse one, but have some huge advantages.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 26, 2024, 09:25:26 AM »
For reasons I don't have the time to list, I think Ronna was not up to the job, but moving on , , ,

"As we've said here for eons, our side has no clear, consistent, persuasive message."

THIS.  Too bad Newt is not in a position to make this happen again!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sen Ron Johnson need fiscal "conservative" for Senate majority leader
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2024, 01:57:19 PM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/ron-johnson-mcconnell-senate/2024/03/02/id/1155695/

seems sensible
Just think how strong our nation would be if we were without a crazy national debt.

Is Rick Scott the best choice?

May be in view of his background.
But I don't think he has Senate support to be chosen leader.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:59:04 PM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Sen Ron Johnson need fiscal "conservative" for Senate majority leader
« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2024, 03:00:10 PM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/ron-johnson-mcconnell-senate/2024/03/02/id/1155695/

seems sensible
Just think how strong our nation would be if we were without a crazy national debt.

Is Rick Scott the best choice?

May be in view of his background.
But I don't think he has Senate support to be chosen leader.

My college classmate Ron Johnson would be a good choice.  Not a showman but solid on the issues.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ron Johnson your college classmate ?
« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2024, 03:06:29 PM »
He was your college classmate ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Johnson

I see he is from Minnesota.
Did you know him?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Johnson your college classmate ?
« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2024, 04:32:05 PM »
He was your college classmate ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Johnson

I see he is from Minnesota.
Did you know him?

I also had looked him up and noticed we were in the business school, U of M, at overlapping times.  In Wisconsin he doesn't mention growing up or going to college in rival MN!

No I didn't know him but we might have been in the same classes.  We both likely had the same economics professor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Heller

During the LBJ discussion I was going to mention my days listening to Walter Heller, Chief Economic Adviser to President JFK and LBJ, and then to Presidential candidate Ted Kennedy in 1980 who thought President Carter wasn't Left enough.  Heller helped me find Supply Side Economics.  He would show us his writings in the WSJ.  One time I lost his handout and had to go find it in the library to find it on the WSJ editorial page.  He never mentioned he was hired to write opposing views, and that the main editorials made far more sense.  Robert Bartley, Jude Wannisky and co.
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Fat-Years-How-Again/product-reviews/002901915X
https://www.amazon.com/Way-World-Works-Gateway-Contemporary/dp/0895263440

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cong. Donalds on Meet the Press 2/25/24
« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2024, 05:24:12 AM »
Rep. Donalds gives MASTER CLASS  on how all repubs should respond on left wing media entrapment interviews:

listen between minutes 13 and 25 for Cong. Donalds superb performance:

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/february-25-jake-sullivan-rep-byron-donalds-and-gov-gavin-newsom-204892741809

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2024, 08:31:42 AM »
looks like we will get Mitch McConnell lite

with Cronyn or Thune who have Liberty scores low 50s compared to 44 for McConnell.

Rick Scott who has run before but may not now is up there with Ted  Cruz at high 80%.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/barrasso-opts-against-run-for-senate-gop-leader/ar-BB1jnddk?ocid=msedgntphdr&cvid=77912fb7bb4b4bb5e28dba2b7ccda915&ei=48

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2024, 09:31:16 AM »
looks like we will get Mitch McConnell lite

with Cronyn or Thune who have Liberty scores low 50s compared to 44 for McConnell.

Rick Scott who has run before but may not now is up there with Ted  Cruz at high 80%.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/barrasso-opts-against-run-for-senate-gop-leader/ar-BB1jnddk?ocid=msedgntphdr&cvid=77912fb7bb4b4bb5e28dba2b7ccda915&ei=48

Right, why wouldn't they pick someone from the middle of the Republican caucus, like Josh Hawley or Marco Rubio, not someone from the center between Chuck Schumer and Ted Cruz.

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=senate
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/report-cards/2020/senate/ideology
Not too late to fix this, but calling my Senators, Klobuchar and the lady from Planned Parenthood (Tina Smith), probably isn't going to help.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Way forward, Katie Britt, SOTU Response
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2024, 08:41:14 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1gWtWVmcXs

If we could get suburban Moms to see this. She tells a story of a young girl who survived the cartels human trafficking. Are women voters really in denial that these policies have these consequences?  They are ok with gang rape and destruction of our cities and families, but motivated about the freedom to kill their own unborn. What are America's priorities?

A time for choosing.
---------------
Did Google owned Youtube really think I wanted to see angry Joe after this great talk, or is that all agenda driven?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:43:51 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
For those "Rs" who won't vote for Trump
« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2024, 12:25:21 PM »
because they do not like Trump and he ruins the Republican Party I say if you don't vote for him there will not be a Republican party with 4 more yrs of Biden and the crats.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Whenever the DNC makes a stink about Clarence Thomas' wife
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2024, 08:42:13 AM »
working for Rs

we should respond in kind with leftist jurists affiliations as thus:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-attack-judge-daughter-deliberate-message-1886396

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2024, 04:27:01 PM »
Not sure if I like that reasoning.  Doesn't it mean we think Thomas should be recusing himself?