Author Topic: Terror Cells here in America  (Read 2822 times)

Stray Dog

• View Profile
Terror Cells here in America
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:41:10 AM »
U.S. Man Accused of Plot to Bomb Resorts

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A federal grand jury indicted an Ohio man on charges of joining al-Qaida and conspiring to bomb European tourist resorts and U.S. government facilities and military bases overseas, officials announced Thursday.

Christopher Paul, 43, a U.S. citizen and resident of Columbus, spent time in Pakistan and Afghanistan in the early 1990s and told al-Qaida members there that he was dedicated to committing violent jihad, according to a federal indictment.

He received military-type training at an al-Qaida camp in Afghanistan, and later transferred money to an alleged co-conspirator, the indictment said.

The investigation into Paul and his activities spanned four years, three continents and at least eight countries, FBI agent Tim Murphy said Thursday, shortly before Paul appeared before a federal judge.

"The indictment of Christopher Paul paints a disturbing picture of an American who traveled overseas to train as a violent jihadist, joined the ranks of al-Qaida and provided military instruction and support to radial cohorts both here and abroad," Assistant U.S. Attorney General Kenneth Wainstein said in a statement.

Paul, who was arrested Wednesday outside his apartment, is charged with providing material support to terrorists, conspiracy to provide support to terrorists and conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction. The weapon of mass destruction charge carries the most serious penalty, up to life in prison.

In court Thursday, Magistrate Judge Terence Kemp asked Paul if he understood the charges. Paul replied: "Yes, sir."

Prosecutors asked that he be held without bond. A friend of Paul's, Hisham Jenhawi, 32, said he found the charges hard to believe.

"I don't think it's even close to his personality to act upon something like that," he said at the courthouse. "He's a very kind person. You would meet him on the street and he would want to hug you with the heart that he has."

The indictment says Paul traveled to Germany about April 1999 to train co-conspirators to use explosives to attack European and U.S. targets, including government buildings and vacation spots frequented by American tourists.

It does not name specific resorts or buildings that might have been targeted, but gives U.S. embassies, military bases and consular premises in Europe as examples.

Paul later sent a wire transfer of $1,760 from a financial institution in the U.S. to an alleged co-conspirator in Germany, prosecutors allege.

A fax machine in his home contained names, phone numbers and contact information for key al-Qaida leadership and associates, according to the indictment, issued Wednesday.

Paul also is accused of storing material at his father's house in Columbus, including a book on improvised land mines, money from countries in the Middle East and a letter to his parents explaining that he would be "on the front lines," according to the indictment.

His sister, Sandra Laws, answered the door at the home and said she and her father live there. She said the family declined further comment.

No charges are expected against family members, authorities said.

Paul was born Paul Kenyatta Laws. He legally changed his name to Abdulmalek Kenyatta in 1989, then to Christopher Paul in 1994, according to the indictment.

After finishing his al-Qaida training in the early 1990s, he returned to Columbus to teach martial arts at a mosque, the indictment said.

Paul is married to a woman named in the indictment as F. Bashir, investigators said. Paul and Jenhawi, who have known each other about a year, attend the same mosque and their daughters play together, Jenhawi said. Paul's daughter is about 9 years old and is homeschooled, he said.

Two other Columbus men have been charged in federal investigators' terrorism investigation. Iyman Faris was sentenced in 2003 to 20 years in prison for a plot to topple the Brooklyn Bridge. Nuradin Abdi, accused of plotting to blow up a Columbus-area shopping mall, is awaiting trial on charges including conspiring to aid terrorists.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Terror Cells here in America, Kurt Schlichter, the attack
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 07:40:28 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2024/03/25/america-is-going-to-be-targeted-for-a-massive-terrorist-attack-will-you-be-ready-n2636901
-------------------

Kurt says buy arms, train, carry. The attack is coming.

I hate being right but an open border means Islamic terror is walking right in, the ones who aren't already here, (along with Chinese espionage and migrants pursuing free stuff). Kurt makes same point.

Oct 7 is the model. Even if Russia was false flag, and now France is on highest alert for terror.

I don't think I will be at the venues where this is coming, but his advice is right. Active shooter doesn't like someone shooting back.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Terror Cells here in America
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 07:53:01 AM »
yet when  it comes

somehow the LEFT will still blame Trump

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Terror Cells here in America
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 02:19:49 PM »
Brownie points for resurrecting this old thread, but I am thinking it has been subsumed by the Homeland Security thread.

Let's continue there.