Author Topic: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS  (Read 663073 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Racial Preferences and the Faint Hearted Supreme Court
« Reply #1750 on: January 16, 2023, 05:09:03 AM »
What an apt segue from my previous post of this morning!

Racial Preferences and the Fainthearted Supreme Court
For 45 years, the justices have tried to set strict limits and colleges have ignored them. It’s time for a bright-line ruling that discrimination is unlawful.
By John B. Daukas
Jan. 13, 2023 6:00 pm ET

The Supreme Court is revisiting the issue of racial preferences in higher education. The last time it did so, in 2016, it upheld them by a 4-3 vote. All three dissenters are still on the court, along with three new conservative colleagues.

In this term’s cases, involving Harvard and the University of North Carolina, Students for Fair Admissions asks the justices to hold that racial preferences violate Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and, when practiced by public institutions, the 14th Amendment. The common expectation is that they will do so and definitively overturn 45 years of precedent permitting colleges and universities to discriminate in the interest of achieving “the educational benefits of a diverse student body.”

But that isn’t a sure thing. During oral arguments in Students for Fair Admissions v. Harvard, the university’s lawyer, Seth Waxman, urged the justices to avoid such a ruling. “If you think . . . that the district court and the court of appeals didn’t properly apply the kind of strict-scrutiny and narrow-tailoring analysis that it should have,” Mr. Waxman told the justices, they should send the case back to the lower courts rather than “dispense with decades of constitutional precedent.” Adam Liptak of the New York Times later speculated that Chief Justice John Roberts “might be pursuing a characteristically incremental path,” as he attempted with abortion last year in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

The court has tried that fainthearted approach repeatedly with racial preferences in higher ed, and the results have always proved unsatisfactory. The justices’ mistake has injured countless Americans by permitting institutions to divide us by race and creating a well-funded, deeply entrenched racial spoils system that degrades us all. Unless the court issues a bright-line decision prohibiting the use of race in admissions, schools will continue to disregard judicial limitations and engage in brazen racial discrimination.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP

The first decision addressing the question, Regents of the University of California v. Bakke (1978), famously yielded a split decision. A five-justice majority struck down the university’s affirmative-action practices as unlawful under Title VI because they involved racial quotas, while a different five-justice majority held that race could be used as a “nonpredominant” factor in admissions, solely in the interests of diversity. Only Justice Lewis Powell endorsed both conclusions, and his solo opinion effectively decided the matter.

It became formal Supreme Court precedent in 2003, when the court issued another split decision in a pair of cases involving the University of Michigan. In Gratz v. Bollinger, the court voted 6-3 to strike down Michigan’s undergraduate affirmative-action program, which used a “point system” to discriminate in favor of blacks and Hispanics.

But in Grutter v. Bollinger, a 5-4 majority upheld the Michigan law school’s admission policies, which purported to use race merely as a “plus factor” as part of “a highly individualized, holistic review” that gave “serious consideration to all the ways an applicant might contribute to a diverse educational environment.”

Justices Sandra Day O’Connor and Stephen Breyer joined both majorities. Justice O’Connor wrote the court’s opinion in Grutter, which asserted in a footnote that “race-conscious admissions policies must be limited in time” and that “the Court expects that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences will no longer be necessary.”

In a pointed dissent, Justice Anthony Kennedy agreed that diversity was a “compelling interest” but argued that the law school illegally used race as “an automatic factor in most instances . . . to achieve numerical goals indistinguishable from quotas.” He accused the majority of abdicating its “constitutional duty” to apply “strict scrutiny” when evaluating racial distinctions.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

In Fisher v. University of Texas (2013), known as Fisher I, Justice Kennedy appeared to make good on that criticism. In an opinion for a 7-1 majority, he wrote that the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals “did not apply the correct standard of strict scrutiny” and sent the case back for reconsideration—as Mr. Waxman urged the current court to do in the Harvard case.

The Fifth Circuit again upheld Texas’ use of preferences, and the case returned to the high court in 2015. By the time the justices decided Fisher II (2016), Justice Antonin Scalia had died. (Justice Elena Kagan, a former Harvard Law School dean and U.S. solicitor general, recused herself from both Fisher cases.) Justice Kennedy wrote for the 4-3 majority that Texas’ preferences were constitutional, holding that judges owe “considerable deference . . . to a university in defining those intangible characteristics, like student body diversity, that are central to its identity and educational mission.”

All these distinctions ignore the clear text of the law. The 14th Amendment prohibits state institutions such as UNC from denying to any person “the equal protection of the laws.” Title VI of the Civil Rights Act prohibits entities receiving federal funds, including almost all colleges and universities, from discriminating on the basis of “race, color, or national origin.”

These laws apply to every race and don’t have carve-outs. They don’t say “discrimination to promote ‘diversity’ is OK,” or “discrimination against whites and Asians is OK.” In Rice v. Cayetano (2000), the court explained that “one of the principal reasons race is treated as a forbidden classification is that it demeans the dignity and worth of a person to be judged by ancestry instead of by his or her own merit and essential qualities.”

Moreover, what the court insisted was an exception has become the rule. Bakke, Gratz, Grutter and Fisher II all purported to set firm limits on the use of racial preferences—they were to be used only as a “nondeterminative” factor in a “holistic” process to promote “diversity.” But colleges have taken these rulings as carte blanche to discriminate pervasively.

The record in the Harvard case proves it. “Harvard monitors the evolving composition of the class by race at every stage of the process,” Eric Dreiband, then assistant U.S. attorney general for civil rights, told the First Circuit in 2020. “The application summary sheets used by admissions officers use race. First readers use race, second readers use race, subcommittees use race, the Harvard admissions committee uses race. . . . The overall rating Harvard assigns to each applicant uses race.” The objective—and the effect—is to produce “a class that year over year is racially balanced within a very narrow range.” Harvard’s own expert admitted that race is the determining factor for hundreds of applicants each year.

I helped run the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division under Attorney General William Barr. Our two-year investigation into complaints of discrimination against Asian-Americans led us to sue Yale for illegal discrimination in undergraduate admissions. We found that race was the determinative factor for a majority of admitted black and Hispanic applicants and for many rejected Asian and white applicants.

Among other examinations, we performed statistical regression analyses, which demonstrated that race was determinative even after accounting for myriad other factors (such as socioeconomic background, first generation to college, legacy, geography, percentage of high-school students receiving subsidized meals, extracurricular activities and sports). Black applicants were up to eight times as likely to be admitted as comparable Asians and whites. Like Harvard, Yale engaged in blatant racial balancing by keeping the percentages of admitted blacks and Asians within a narrow range, and it favored and disfavored applicants based on race at every step of its multistep admissions process.

Colleges flout the high court’s limits on the use of race because in truth they seek racially balanced student bodies, not merely diversity. And their treatment of students on campus belies claims of diversity. Many schools have separate race-based freshman orientations, separate living spaces, separate majors, separate clubs, separate fraternities and sororities, even separate graduation ceremonies. How are students supposed to benefit from diversity if they are encouraged to segregate themselves?

This misuse of race is analogous to the situation the high court faced in Brown v. Board of Education (1954). Proponents of segregation argued that black and white schools were “separate but equal.” In reality, they were grossly unequal. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a supporter of racial preferences, noted deception at the heart of the court’s university precedents in her Gratz dissent: “If honesty is the best policy, surely Michigan’s accurately described, fully disclosed college affirmative-action program is preferable to achieving similar numbers through winks, nods, and disguises.”

Tragically, such games mask society’s failure to prepare black and Hispanic students better for college. They lead to mismatching of schools and minority students, which reduces the number of blacks and Hispanics who graduate and go on to professions such as medicine, science and engineering.

Should the Supreme Court hold that race discrimination is flatly unlawful, we can expect universities to resist, as many segregated communities did in the 1950s and ’60s after Brown. It will be incumbent on the Justice Department, state attorneys general, lawmakers and private plaintiffs to root out misconduct through diligent oversight and litigation.

Yet the justices shouldn’t fear a public backlash. Polls show that Americans of all races overwhelmingly oppose consideration of race in college admissions. In 2020 more than 57% of California voters defeated a statewide referendum to end a formal ban on the use of race in college admissions and other state programs.

Chief Justice Roberts got it right when he observed in Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1 (2007): “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” For 45 years, the Supreme Court has tried to have it both ways. The result has been a divided country and policies that harm tens of thousands of college students of all races. It is past time for the justices to follow the law and recognize that it mandates equal treatment regardless of race.

Mr. Daukas served as principal deputy and acting U.S. assistant attorney general for the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, 2020-21.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTUS and the Dobbs leak
« Reply #1753 on: January 20, 2023, 09:42:52 AM »
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/01/19/jonathan-turley-says-the-scotus-report-about-dobbs-leak-is-almost-as-chilling-as-the-leak-itself/?bcid=a1714aba6c197395707aecde9ada65a65090b7be5f45291f6611e9cf3bd6bace&utm_campaign=nl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=twtydaily

The smart money says it was Sotomayor.

It was one of the justices. Ask yourself, who is the most nakedly partisan? Who had the most to gain in a politically partisan direction?  Who believes in the institution the least? Who is the dumbest? See where it points.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
news sources are protected from IDing sources of leaks
« Reply #1754 on: January 20, 2023, 10:06:21 AM »
https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1146/reporter-s-privilege

I do not agree that sources should be cart blanche protected
at the discretion of the darn journalist

yeah I get the bogus theory the benefit outweighs the risk

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS
« Reply #1755 on: January 20, 2023, 02:31:03 PM »
"The smart money says it was Sotomayor.  It was one of the justices. Ask yourself, who is the most nakedly partisan? Who had the most to gain in a politically partisan direction?  Who believes in the institution the least? Who is the dumbest? See where it points."

I cannot disagree  :-D

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kendall Price ethics complaint with Supreme Court
« Reply #1756 on: February 01, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »
based on former colleague

wife of Justice Roberts having been a legal recruiter prior to his being on the SCOTUS

does this have any merit or is it simply political lawfare ?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/ex-colleague-supreme-court-chief-011405790.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters) SCOTUS
« Reply #1757 on: February 02, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
Yes. :lol:

Interesting arguments to be made in both directions.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/03/01/please-show-us-the-experts-clause-of-the-constitution-justices-sotomayor-and-kagan-n534278

No difference between the parties?  Bullsh*t.  One wants freedom for the people.  One wants rule by the elites.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:59:22 AM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sotomayor
« Reply #1759 on: March 02, 2023, 07:04:22 AM »
https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/03/01/please-show-us-the-experts-clause-of-the-constitution-justices-sotomayor-and-kagan-n534278

No difference between the parties?  Bullsh*t.  One wants freedom for the people.  One wants rule by the elites.

https://rollcall.com/2009/08/06/senate-confirms-sotomayor-on-bipartisan-68-31-vote/

Sotomayor was approved with the support of 59 Democrats and nine Republicans, including Conference Chairman Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) and Sens. George Voinovich (Ohio), Mel Martinez (Fla.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Judd Gregg (N.H.), Kit Bond (Mo.), Dick Lugar (Ind.) and Maine’s Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:59:40 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Sotomayor
« Reply #1760 on: March 02, 2023, 08:25:04 AM »
And THAT refutes my point that 'no difference between the parties is bullshit'?

Sotomayor was picked by Democrats and supported by ALL of them.  Most of the Rs you mention are gone now. Collins represents a blue state and that makes 60.  And YOUR party gives us NO votes in ANY chamber on ANY issue.

What a waste of my time this is. You quote me and don't address the points you quote.  What a waste of my time this is. What a waste of my time this is.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Attacks on Justice Thomas
« Reply #1764 on: April 25, 2023, 07:46:48 AM »
Et Tu, Juan? Clarence Thomas’s Fickle Friends Pile On
Mitt Romney and Mona Charen go on the attack, then go silent in the face of new information.
By James TarantoFollow
April 24, 2023 4:29 pm ET

Mitt Romney once complained that Barack Obama didn’t play fair. “I’ve been disappointed in the president’s campaign to date, which is focused on character assassination,” he told reporters in May 2012. He complained Mr. Obama was trying to “suggest that I’m not a good person or I’m not a good guy.”

Last week a reporter asked Mr. Romney, now a Utah senator, about recent press attacks on Justice Clarence Thomas, most of which relate to his friendship with Dallas businessman Harlan Crow. “If the reports are accurate, it stinks,” Mr. Romney said. “I don’t have to explain more than that.” But the reports contained many inaccuracies, as I documented last week. I emailed Mr. Romney’s deputy communications director, and she confirmed the senator’s quote but didn’t respond when I asked if his views have changed in light of those demonstrated errors.

I don’t mean to accuse Mr. Romney of hypocrisy, a charge that would be uninteresting if true. It’s only human to find meanness and dishonesty more regrettable when directed against oneself than one’s opponents. But Mr. Romney’s piling on Justice Thomas is weird. The senator is a longtime Republican, and Justice Thomas’s opponents are Democrats. Mr. Romney’s 2018 Senate campaign reported $10,800 in contributions from Mr. Crow and his wife. And reproaching Justice Thomas is unlikely to pay political dividends in Utah, where Mr. Romney may face a primary challenge next year.

Mona Charen is a longtime conservative commentator. She published a column two weeks ago titled “Is Clarence Thomas Crooked?”—a classic example of Betteridge’s law, which holds that “any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word ‘no.’ ”

“The reason Crow desires a friendship with Clarence Thomas,” Ms. Charen asserted, “is not principally for his hearty laugh or his storytelling. It’s because he’s a justice on the Supreme Court who rules in ways Crow finds congenial. Over time, all of that largesse can be a kind of soft coercion. If Thomas were ever tempted to stray from the doctrinaire views the two share, would the justice hesitate, if only unconsciously, contemplating the risk that he might lose access to the Bombardier Global 5000 and the private fishing guide?”

I emailed Ms. Charen to ask if she had any factual basis for this characterization of the Thomas-Crow friendship, and if she’s reconsidered her view in light of new information, particularly my colleague Barton Swaim’s interview with Mr. Crow. She didn’t reply, possibly because the former question was a bit unsporting. Obviously she was engaging in pure speculation—or, to put it charitably, acting the drama critic and puzzling out characters’ motives from their actions.

But her analysis is laughable. As Mr. Swaim reported, Mr. Crow describes himself as “a moderate Republican” and “moderately pro-choice—a first-trimester guy” and says of the justice: “Do I influence him? Hell no. I respect his judgment about those things way more than mine.”

Justice Thomas appears impervious to influence and always has. He is, in the words of Justice Samuel Alito, “a purist and an important voice”—and often a soloist, whose lone concurring opinions or (less often these days) dissents argue for adhering to the original meaning of the Constitution even if that requires uprooting precedents that have become deeply established in law and culture.

Ms. Charen once admired Justice Thomas. In a 1991 column, she called the effort to sink his nomination over allegations of ribaldry “one of the greatest liberal misfires in American politics” and observed that “smear tactics backfired.” In 2000 she raved about his opinion in Stenberg v. Carhart, an abortion case: “In a lengthy dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas turns the majority ruling slowly on a spit, burning off one flimsy argument after another.”

So what happened to Mr. Romney and Ms. Charen? I’ll don my drama-critic cap and note that both of them (like many Republicans and conservatives) experienced discomposure in 2015-16 over Donald Trump’s political rise. Neither got over it, and both have endured cruel treatment from Trump supporters as a result.

In a 2018 New York Times op-ed, Ms. Charen described being jeered at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where she appeared on a panel and accused Republicans of hypocrisy for countenancing untoward personal behavior by the likes of Mr. Trump and failed Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore. “I had to be escorted from the premises by several guards who seemed genuinely concerned for my safety,” she wrote.

Well, shame on CPAC. But none of this is Clarence Thomas’s fault. Why lash out at him? Perhaps because politics can be as much about identity as about ideas. Justice Thomas hasn’t changed, but political alignments have. Mr. Romney and Ms. Charen, in your humble critic’s opinion, now see him as being on the other side. They may also crave what the late Tom Bethell called “strange new respect” from the left. Good luck finding it in today’s Washington.

Juan Williams speaks on Fox News Channel in New York, Sept. 17, 2019. PHOTO: STEVEN FERDMAN/GETTY IMAGES
The guy I can’t figure out is Juan Williams. In an April 17 op-ed for the Hill, he called Justice Thomas “my old friend” and cast himself as Brutus, declaiming against “the smell of financial corruption around Thomas” along with “Thomas’s unyielding loyalty to a hardline Republican agenda that made former President Trump call Thomas his favorite justice.”

I emailed Mr. Williams and asked if he had anything to add in light of my debunking of the attacks on Justice Thomas. “I think you made the case that aside from questions about disclosure there is no evidence of outright corruption,” he replied. Then he softened his criticism but didn’t retract it: “My worry for the Justice is that the free vacations, free travel and honors from one group lead to questions about a limited circle of influence.”

Mr. Williams is liberal and has wide, deep and honest differences of opinion with Justice Thomas. But that’s been clear since 1980, when the two men met. In 1991, when Mr. Williams was at the Washington Post, he defended then-Judge Thomas and accused Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats of “an unforgivable abuse of a human being named Clarence Thomas.”

In the Post’s politically correct newsroom, Mr. Williams paid a professional price for that stance. But today he’s at Fox News Channel, where support for Justice Thomas would be a welcome liberal heterodoxy. So why turn on his “old friend” now? I can’t imagine, but I’ll bet it’s personal.

Mr. Taranto is the Journal’s editorial features editor.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ: Attacks on Justice Thomas
« Reply #1765 on: April 25, 2023, 07:49:09 AM »
It's almost like there is some kind of Uniparty...

Et Tu, Juan? Clarence Thomas’s Fickle Friends Pile On
Mitt Romney and Mona Charen go on the attack, then go silent in the face of new information.
By James TarantoFollow
April 24, 2023 4:29 pm ET

Mitt Romney once complained that Barack Obama didn’t play fair. “I’ve been disappointed in the president’s campaign to date, which is focused on character assassination,” he told reporters in May 2012. He complained Mr. Obama was trying to “suggest that I’m not a good person or I’m not a good guy.”

Last week a reporter asked Mr. Romney, now a Utah senator, about recent press attacks on Justice Clarence Thomas, most of which relate to his friendship with Dallas businessman Harlan Crow. “If the reports are accurate, it stinks,” Mr. Romney said. “I don’t have to explain more than that.” But the reports contained many inaccuracies, as I documented last week. I emailed Mr. Romney’s deputy communications director, and she confirmed the senator’s quote but didn’t respond when I asked if his views have changed in light of those demonstrated errors.

I don’t mean to accuse Mr. Romney of hypocrisy, a charge that would be uninteresting if true. It’s only human to find meanness and dishonesty more regrettable when directed against oneself than one’s opponents. But Mr. Romney’s piling on Justice Thomas is weird. The senator is a longtime Republican, and Justice Thomas’s opponents are Democrats. Mr. Romney’s 2018 Senate campaign reported $10,800 in contributions from Mr. Crow and his wife. And reproaching Justice Thomas is unlikely to pay political dividends in Utah, where Mr. Romney may face a primary challenge next year.

Mona Charen is a longtime conservative commentator. She published a column two weeks ago titled “Is Clarence Thomas Crooked?”—a classic example of Betteridge’s law, which holds that “any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word ‘no.’ ”

“The reason Crow desires a friendship with Clarence Thomas,” Ms. Charen asserted, “is not principally for his hearty laugh or his storytelling. It’s because he’s a justice on the Supreme Court who rules in ways Crow finds congenial. Over time, all of that largesse can be a kind of soft coercion. If Thomas were ever tempted to stray from the doctrinaire views the two share, would the justice hesitate, if only unconsciously, contemplating the risk that he might lose access to the Bombardier Global 5000 and the private fishing guide?”

I emailed Ms. Charen to ask if she had any factual basis for this characterization of the Thomas-Crow friendship, and if she’s reconsidered her view in light of new information, particularly my colleague Barton Swaim’s interview with Mr. Crow. She didn’t reply, possibly because the former question was a bit unsporting. Obviously she was engaging in pure speculation—or, to put it charitably, acting the drama critic and puzzling out characters’ motives from their actions.

But her analysis is laughable. As Mr. Swaim reported, Mr. Crow describes himself as “a moderate Republican” and “moderately pro-choice—a first-trimester guy” and says of the justice: “Do I influence him? Hell no. I respect his judgment about those things way more than mine.”

Justice Thomas appears impervious to influence and always has. He is, in the words of Justice Samuel Alito, “a purist and an important voice”—and often a soloist, whose lone concurring opinions or (less often these days) dissents argue for adhering to the original meaning of the Constitution even if that requires uprooting precedents that have become deeply established in law and culture.

Ms. Charen once admired Justice Thomas. In a 1991 column, she called the effort to sink his nomination over allegations of ribaldry “one of the greatest liberal misfires in American politics” and observed that “smear tactics backfired.” In 2000 she raved about his opinion in Stenberg v. Carhart, an abortion case: “In a lengthy dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas turns the majority ruling slowly on a spit, burning off one flimsy argument after another.”

So what happened to Mr. Romney and Ms. Charen? I’ll don my drama-critic cap and note that both of them (like many Republicans and conservatives) experienced discomposure in 2015-16 over Donald Trump’s political rise. Neither got over it, and both have endured cruel treatment from Trump supporters as a result.

In a 2018 New York Times op-ed, Ms. Charen described being jeered at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where she appeared on a panel and accused Republicans of hypocrisy for countenancing untoward personal behavior by the likes of Mr. Trump and failed Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore. “I had to be escorted from the premises by several guards who seemed genuinely concerned for my safety,” she wrote.

Well, shame on CPAC. But none of this is Clarence Thomas’s fault. Why lash out at him? Perhaps because politics can be as much about identity as about ideas. Justice Thomas hasn’t changed, but political alignments have. Mr. Romney and Ms. Charen, in your humble critic’s opinion, now see him as being on the other side. They may also crave what the late Tom Bethell called “strange new respect” from the left. Good luck finding it in today’s Washington.

Juan Williams speaks on Fox News Channel in New York, Sept. 17, 2019. PHOTO: STEVEN FERDMAN/GETTY IMAGES
The guy I can’t figure out is Juan Williams. In an April 17 op-ed for the Hill, he called Justice Thomas “my old friend” and cast himself as Brutus, declaiming against “the smell of financial corruption around Thomas” along with “Thomas’s unyielding loyalty to a hardline Republican agenda that made former President Trump call Thomas his favorite justice.”

I emailed Mr. Williams and asked if he had anything to add in light of my debunking of the attacks on Justice Thomas. “I think you made the case that aside from questions about disclosure there is no evidence of outright corruption,” he replied. Then he softened his criticism but didn’t retract it: “My worry for the Justice is that the free vacations, free travel and honors from one group lead to questions about a limited circle of influence.”

Mr. Williams is liberal and has wide, deep and honest differences of opinion with Justice Thomas. But that’s been clear since 1980, when the two men met. In 1991, when Mr. Williams was at the Washington Post, he defended then-Judge Thomas and accused Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats of “an unforgivable abuse of a human being named Clarence Thomas.”

In the Post’s politically correct newsroom, Mr. Williams paid a professional price for that stance. But today he’s at Fox News Channel, where support for Justice Thomas would be a welcome liberal heterodoxy. So why turn on his “old friend” now? I can’t imagine, but I’ll bet it’s personal.

Mr. Taranto is the Journal’s editorial features editor.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
read recently - may be leftist propaganda

that Just. Thomas wealthy friend is tied to case(s ) in front of Supreme Court

if true that certainly give the appearance of conflict of interests.

does he recuse himself ? would not that be the ethical standard ?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Politico's hit on Gorsuch
« Reply #1768 on: April 26, 2023, 06:14:50 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2023/04/25/politicos-hit-on-neil-gorsuch-is-another-transparent-attempt-to-delegitimize-scotus/

Politico’s Hit On Neil Gorsuch Is Another Transparent Attempt To Delegitimize SCOTUS
BY: DAVID HARSANYI
APRIL 25, 2023

Even as propaganda, it’s shoddy work.

As with ProPublica’s recent smear of Clarence Thomas, there’s a lot of excitement across the left-wing Twittersphere over a Politico hit on Neil Gorsuch. But even as a transparent piece of partisan propaganda, it is poorly conceived.

Politico kicks off the piece, “Law firm head bought Gorsuch-owned property,” with a purposefully deceptive claim: “For nearly two years beginning in 2015, Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch sought a buyer for a 40-acre tract of property he co-owned in rural Granby, Colo.”

No. For nearly two years before he was even nominated as a Supreme Court justice, a group that included Gorsuch tried to sell a Colorado property they owned together since 2005. And nine days after Gorsuch was confirmed, but before he ruled on any cases, the property was sold to a lawyer who runs Colorado’s biggest law firm. Gorsuch netted between $250,000 and $500,000 on the sale.

The reason Politico’s Heidi Przybyla is aware of Gorsuch’s supersecret arrangement is that it’s listed right there on his publicly available federal disclosure form from 2017 alongside every other income — stock sales, etc.

Yet, one of Politico’s central insinuations is that Gorsuch was trying to conceal this transaction because he “did not report the identity of the purchaser.” And it’s true that the nominee didn’t fill out the “Identity of buyer/seller” column for the estate transaction — or, for that matter, on any other income. I went back and looked at all the disclosure forms of Supreme Court Justices in 2017, and none of them made a single notation in that column for any transaction. And, as far as I can tell, that line has never seen as much as a scribble from any justice in any year. Politico is holding Gorsuch to a completely new standard.

The piece also goes onto claim that Gorsuch “didn’t indicate that there had been a real estate sale or a purchaser.” This is just false. On the very first page of the disclosure, Gorsuch notes that he was a member of the “Walden Group, LLC,” right next to the words “mountain property.” On the next page, he lists the specifics.

This seems like pretty important context for a professional journalist to share with readers. Of course, Przybyla, who put in a yeowoman’s work smearing Brett Kavanaugh by spreading the uncorroborated claims of Julie Swetnick and Deborah Ramirez, is not any kind of real journalist.

The other central accusation of the piece is that the sale of the property created a conflict of interest for Gorsuch. But the lawyer who bought the property, Brian Duffy, says he’s never met or spoken to Gorsuch. And Politico offers no evidence to the contrary. Nor does Politico offer evidence that Gorsuch has ever deviated from his long-held legal philosophy to help anyone at Duffy’s huge law firm, Greenberg Traurig. (Duffy, incidentally, sends most of his contributions to Democrats — including Raphael Warnock, Hillary Clinton, Charles Schumer, and Barack Obama.)

It takes only a few paragraphs to figure out that Gorsuch broke no law and did nothing that a good-faith observer could deem unethical. So the piece, much like the coverage of Thomas’s friendship with Harlan Crow, tries to cover up its lack of substantiation with a veneer of vaguely journalistic-sounding verbiage. Przybyla then gives the floor to Dick Durbin and other left-wing anti-court activists, as one does when writing an unbiased piece insinuating that a Supreme Court is corrupt. “Without decisive action, the conservatives on the Supreme Court will forever tarnish its reputation in our public life,” one of these activists explains.

Elena Kagan, who served as Barack Obama’s Solicitor General, had no problem participating in a case upholding Obamacare. But Gorsuch once associated with characters that Przybyla finds unsavory. “Gorsuch’s ties to the oil and gas industry run deep,” Przybyla reminds the reader (which is bad, in case there is confusion.)

To bolster allusions of impropriety, Politico links to a similarly weak New York Times article from 2017, “Neil Gorsuch Has Web of Ties to Secretive Colorado Billionaire.” The shadowy tycoon in question is Philip Anschutz, whose name adorns medical facilities and buildings and museums across the state because he is known to basically everyone in Colorado. Anyway, years ago, Gorsuch worked with Anschutz, who in turn championed the fellow Coloradoan for a court during the Bush years. And because Gorsuch made money with people connected to Anschutz in the private sector, it means …

I don’t know what it means. And it doesn’t really matter. These hits are chum for partisans to swarm around. The only thing that matters is creating the perception that “conservative” justices – as if that explains Gorsuch’s legal philosophy – are corrupt. How else could they possibly believe those wacky originalist ideas, anyway? It’s all part of a concerted effort to delegitimize a Supreme Court that still occasionally upholds a semblance of constitutional limits on the state, the one thing still standing in the way of progressive project.

David Harsanyi is a senior editor at The Federalist, a nationally syndicated columnist, a Happy Warrior columnist at National Review, and author of five books—the most recent, Eurotrash: Why America Must Reject the Failed Ideas of a Dying Continent. He has appeared on Fox News, C-SPAN, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News and radio talk shows across the country. Follow him on Twitter, @davidharsanyi.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
More on Heidi
« Reply #1769 on: April 26, 2023, 06:57:18 AM »
https://www.linkedin.com/in/heidi-przybyla-86b3537

she is clearly a Democrat who runs hit jobs on Conservatives
hence the purported loads of "awards"
which are seemingly heaped on those who write anti Republican hit pieces.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
YAY!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
PROGRESSIVE GAME PLAN: NEUTRALIZE THE SUPREME COURT AND DISARM THE CITIZENRY

also seeing repeat stories about Congress quest to hoist "ethics" standards on the SCOTUS

coming from the often unethical and bribes taking pack of liars

I can think only too funny if was not true.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
I've skimmed some additional articles mentioned in that Arbarlest Quarrel GM-- nice find.  The writing is serious, well educated, and thoughtfull.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Sotomayor made $$ from Publisher and ruled on its case
« Reply #1775 on: May 04, 2023, 08:42:17 AM »
Left-Wing SCOTUS Justice Took $3M from Book Publisher, Didn’t Recuse Herself from Cases
By Eric Lendrum
May 4, 2023
https://amgreatness.com/2023/05/04/left-wing-scotus-justice-took-3m-from-book-publisher-didnt-recuse-herself-from-cases/

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a left-wing justice nominated by Barack Obama, repeatedly refused to recuse herself from cases involving the publishing company that paid her millions to publish her own books.

According to the Daily Wire, Sotomayor was paid $3.1 million by Penguin Random House over the course of two years; in 2010, she was paid $1.2 million by Knopf Doubleday Group, part of Random House’s conglomerate, and then received two separate advance payments in 2012, which amounted to $1.9 million when combined. These payments have made Penguin Random House her single largest source of income.

Despite this, Sotomayor did not recuse herself when making a decision in the 2013 case of Aaron Greenspan v. Random House. In the case, Greenspan – an author who was classmates with Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg while at Harvard – alleged that his proposed book about the founding of Facebook was rejected by Random House, only for the company to then grant a book deal to another author who copied his idea and then turned it into the successful movie “The Social Network” in 2010.

During that case, then-Justice Stephen Breyer, a fellow left-wing justice, did ultimately recuse himself due to receiving payments from the publisher in the past. Sotomayor, however, did not recuse herself despite doing the same thing.

Add This To Your Toothpaste To Help Regrow Gums in a Few Days
Doctors Can’t Explain But This Can Vanish Tinnitus (Ear Ringing)
In 2017, Sotomayor began receiving additional payments directly from Random House, which ultimately lasted until 2021 and totaled $500,000, thus bringing her final total amount from the publisher to $3.6 million over the course of 11 years.

In another case in October of 2019, the Supreme Court declined to hear the case of children’s author Jennie Nicassio, who sued Random House after the publisher allegedly began selling a book that was nearly identical to one of her own. In declining to hear the case, the Court ultimately affirmed the ruling of a circuit court which had ruled in Random House’s favor. Sotomayor once again did not recuse herself in the vote to decline Nicassio’s case, even though Breyer once again did recuse himself.

Sotomayor has written five books since becoming a justice, starting with her memoir My Beloved World in 2013. All five were published by Penguin Random House or one of its subsidiaries, with the most recent one, Just Help! How to Build a Better World, being published in 2022.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
RBG accolades
I am not sure the Emmy was mentioned that she won:

https://www.indiewire.com/awards/industry/rbg-wins-emmy-exceptional-merit-documentary-filmmaking-1202173567/

did she make an album of her philosophy so she could win a grammy as we have seen the left do in the past
or write some piece and of course get a pulitzer as well

we have also seen in the past with lib heroes

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
RBG accolades
I am not sure the Emmy was mentioned that she won:

https://www.indiewire.com/awards/industry/rbg-wins-emmy-exceptional-merit-documentary-filmmaking-1202173567/

did she make an album of her philosophy so she could win a grammy as we have seen the left do in the past
or write some piece and of course get a pulitzer as well

we have also seen in the past with lib heroes

Books and art are also ideal ways to launder money.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
https://www.newsmax.com/us/scotus-ethics-sotomayor/2023/05/04/id/1118673/

did anyone watch [Sen.] Al Frankin on alisyn camerota last night
https://twitter.com/alfranken/status/1654291468742275073 ?

can't find it now
but he is a typical Jewish partisan Democrat
no matter what he twists the arguments and logic every time to fit the Democrat talking points
Even goes so far as saying Justice Sotomayor not recusing herself from publishing cases is NOT a problem , while of course bashing Just. Thomas.

Of course he thinks the legislature should make rules for the SCOTUS

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
larry lib again ...
« Reply #1781 on: May 09, 2023, 02:57:36 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Obama could run as Biden VP
« Reply #1784 on: June 04, 2023, 09:11:37 AM »
maybe a bit of shysterism (what's new)
but I have to agree when reading the Constitutional amendments it does not preclude this possibility.

this could work .  Biden runs with Obama as VP , then the dems push 25th amendment and viola - a shyster's dream!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/06/04/republican-bill-to-exempt-turbans-from-motorcycle-helmets-advances-in-california/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
PoltiFact 2017,:Presidential power to declassify
« Reply #1786 on: June 11, 2023, 06:30:30 AM »
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2017/may/16/james-risch/does-president-have-ability-declassify-anything-an/

Correlary question, does Congress have the power to reign in a constitutional power of the President?  (No!)

At the instant he finishes his term, can President Trump give possession of boxes of documents (declassify) to what is now citizen Trump?

Hillary, Pence and (former) VP Biden were a) not prosecuted, and b) never had that absolute power to declassify.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: PoltiFact 2017,:Presidential power to declassify
« Reply #1787 on: June 11, 2023, 07:26:05 AM »
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2017/may/16/james-risch/does-president-have-ability-declassify-anything-an/

Correlary question, does Congress have the power to reign in a constitutional power of the President?  (No!)

At the instant he finishes his term, can President Trump give possession of boxes of documents (declassify) to what is now citizen Trump?

Hillary, Pence and (former) VP Biden were a) not prosecuted, and b) never had that absolute power to declassify.

The legal doctrine of ORANGEMANBAD overrides these otherwise valid points.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"At the instant he finishes his term, can President Trump give possession of boxes of documents (declassify) to what is now citizen Trump?"

if one second before Biden is sworn in I believe

but here is the problem

big mouth is on tape admitting he did not declassify ( we know he didn't anyway and his saying he did is surely BS as no record or evidence that he did to support any such claim)
and he then seemed to hold up admitted document to someone though not clear person actually saw it .

can't get more gotcha then that !
like the stupid admission on tape with Billy Bush admitting he assaults women and something to the effect he is rich they like it and he can get away with it.

as for the double standard of persecution (prosecutors who are really playing. persecutors

no coincidence I highlight with. orange

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
I hope
the present situation
meets what Dershowitz calls the Nixon standard

Republicans start abandoning Trump
and we can get rid of him once and for all
unfortunately we have the dupe Republicans who will stand by the fool
no matter what
and they with him might well drag us down
and drag us through more yrs of torture having to defend the dope

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
The one true branch of government will NEVER let an outsider into power EVER again.

This applies to both Trump and RFK jr.

I hope
the present situation
meets what Dershowitz calls the Nixon standard

Republicans start abandoning Trump
and we can get rid of him once and for all
unfortunately we have the dupe Republicans who will stand by the fool
no matter what
and they with him might well drag us down
and drag us through more yrs of torture having to defend the dope

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
"Republicans start abandoning Trump and we can get rid of him once and for all
unfortunately we have the dupe Republicans who will stand by the fool no matter what."

I get it of course, but the problem is the counter point which that doing so is bending the knee to the weaponization of the Deep State.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"I get it of course, but the problem is the counter point which that doing so is bending the knee to the weaponization of the Deep State."

true but why continue to shoot ourselves in the foot?

Trump criticized Biden for taking bribes from Ukraine in exchanging sending money to them

then later Trump does exact same thing in telling Ukraine they can have money only if  investigate Biden

HRC has the server in a bathroom somewhere in (Utah?)
then destroys evidence and the rest

then later Trump is showing off he continues to keep classified info at his mansion
and brags about it.

WE DO NOT NEED THE GENIUS / IDIOT ANYMORE

I am done defending the mafia DONJT

IMHO

[either way probably will not matter - thought I would save GM from having to post this in advance  :-]D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:09:50 AM by ccp »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
"I get it of course, but the problem is the counter point which that doing so is bending the knee to the weaponization of the Deep State."

true but why continue to shoot ourselves in the foot?

Trump criticized Biden for taking bribes from Ukraine in exchanging sending money to them

then later Trump does exact same thing in telling Ukraine they can have money only if  investigate Biden

HRC has the server in a bathroom somewhere in (Utah?)
then destroys evidence and the rest

then later Trump is showing off he continues to keep classified info at his mansion
and brags about it.

WE DO NOT NEED THE GENIUS / IDIOT ANYMORE

I am done defending the mafia DONJT

IMHO

[either way probably will not matter - thought I would save GM from having to post this in advance  :-]D

:-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
"Trump criticized Biden for taking bribes from Ukraine in exchanging sending money to them.  then later Trump does exact same thing in telling Ukraine they can have money only if  investigate Biden"

Disagree with the reasoning here.  Unlike VP Biden, President Trump was not in search of corrupt personal gain.  He was correctly seeking to ferret out corrupt and comprised behavior in the previous administration.   

"HRC has the server in a bathroom somewhere in (Utah?) then destroys evidence and the rest.  then later Trump is showing off he continues to keep classified info at his mansion and brags about it."   

HRC was digitally available to foreign states, including hostile ones according to contrary-to-self-interest FBI Director Comey.  Trump was waving around a hard copy.  We don't even know if he actually showed the contents.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Unlike VP Biden, President Trump was not in search of corrupt personal gain.  He was correctly seeking to ferret out corrupt and comprised behavior in the previous administration.  "

I disagree

Trump had plenty to gain by taking out his future opponent

additionally he used the threat /. or gift of trying use Federal to punish / bribe
Ukraine officials

not defensible in my mind

"HRC was digitally available to foreign states, including hostile ones according to contrary-to-self-interest FBI Director Comey.  Trump was waving around a hard copy. "

so why was he refusing to return the documents?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Knowing if the American Vice President, who was in charge of our Uke policy, was compromised is a highly relevant matter both for criminal prosecution and for understanding the lay of the land in the present.

The Ukes also meddled in the 2016 election by providing intel on Manafort's consulting for the Russian backed candidate.

""HRC was digitally available to foreign states, including hostile ones according to contrary-to-self-interest FBI Director Comey.  Trump was waving around a hard copy. "

"so why was he refusing to return the documents?"

A separate point.  Hillary left American highly secret diplomatic correspondence eletronically hackable to hostile powers.  Trump had hard copy documents at Mar al Lago.  Not even close to be equivalent in my opinion.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Greg Kelly 6.12.23
« Reply #1797 on: June 13, 2023, 06:08:01 AM »
CD posted:

A separate point.  Hillary left American highly secret diplomatic correspondence eletronically hackable to hostile powers.  Trump had hard copy documents at Mar al Lago.  Not even close to be equivalent in my opinion.

I have come around to your opinion but more because of this then your post   :-D :wink: :

start at minute 15 and can stop ~ 23 but it goes on further making the same point with different examples:

https://www.newsmaxtv.com/Shows/Greg-Kelly-Reports/vid/1_txce53o8

For fun (I mean aggravation) watch  minute 25:50 with Obama's sleazy either tip to Comey to drop the case on HRC or to publicly come out in public to approve the case be dropped.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
ccp: "big mouth is on tape admitting he did not declassify ( we know he didn't anyway and his saying he did is surely BS as no record or evidence that he did to support any such claim)
and he then seemed to hold up admitted document to someone though not clear person actually saw it
."

- But what if 'big mouth' was wrong, he did in fact declassify them when he transferred them from POTUS Trump to a person (himself) he knew was about to become a private citizen who might show it to a writer.  Also, my understanding is that they don't have the document that ties to the tape. It could have been a restaurant menu for all we know. Trump has been known to blow smoke when he talks.

Seems to me this case is a tangled up mess for both sides.  (Exactly what was intended.). Lock up the nomination for Trump as conservatives rally around him, and lock up the general election for Democrats as liberals, moderates and plenty of conservatives can't stand another minute of the news being all Trump all the time.

Missed in all this is motive.  We now know the agencies broke laws and broke their own rules targeting a president, and made totally unprecedented steps to get back documents that might prove their guilt.  Complying with the process of capturing and  destroying evidence of those crimes perhaps was the real obstruction of justice.

What is unprecedented is what the investigators and prosecutors did, not what Trump did .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 10:10:17 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hi Doug

not sure what you mean.

"But what if 'big mouth' was wrong, he did in fact declassify them when he transferred them from POTUS Trump to who he knew was about to become private citizen Trump, who might show it to a writer.  Also, my understanding is that they don't have the document that ties to the tape. Trump has been known to blow smoke when he talks."

well this audio is THEIR main evidence .

so the new defense is

"he incriminated himself by mistake?"