Author Topic: Money/inflation, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, BTC, crypto, Gold  (Read 521837 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, bitcoin, crypto, Gold/Silver
« Reply #1800 on: February 21, 2022, 08:50:01 AM »
I post what I find AND I continue to hold.

As always YA, thank you.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Hideous chart for GBTC
« Reply #1801 on: February 22, 2022, 01:29:42 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Hideous chart for GBTC
« Reply #1802 on: February 22, 2022, 02:16:55 PM »
https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=gbtc

Commodities, another hedge against inflation:

Depending on your time frame, this might have been a safer bet.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
BSV from Craig Wright
« Reply #1805 on: February 28, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, bitcoin, crypto, Gold/Silver
« Reply #1806 on: February 28, 2022, 08:28:46 AM »
Please flesh that out.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gilder on BSV
« Reply #1807 on: February 28, 2022, 08:50:58 AM »

Gilder insists that Craig Wright is originator of Bitcoin

then left BC and started BSV:

https://coingeek.com/george-gilder-bitcoin-sv-is-the-epitome-of-information-economy/#:~:text=Wright%3A,to%20utilize%20and%20build%20on.

its high I think ~ 290
now around 80ish

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 28, 2022, 08:56:26 AM »
here is a page on BSV
as well

actually it spiked twice in past (last 5/21)
to well over 300

I am not sure why it is down
now ? presumably with other cryptos?

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin-sv/

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 28, 2022, 05:06:32 PM »
I have a hard time believing Gilder was fooled, BSV is a scam and Craig W is the biggest scammer. Hope nobody has bought BSV, if so, pl. get out. It WILL go to zero. The good exchanges dont even list it, it has a market cap of 1.6 Bill $, just like other shit coins. It is a completely manipulated coin. If one cannot afford a whole BTC, its possible to buy 0.1 or even 0.0001 BTC.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:17:12 PM by ya »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 28, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »
I confess to being all excited when Gilder made a big pitch about crypto but upon examination it came across as seriously shady and seriously expensive.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 28, 2022, 05:39:58 PM »
A few random thoughts.
- The imposition of the SWIFT sanctions will switch on the clock for the demise of the dollar. The US has had this immense priviledge of controlling SWIFT, that has worked when sanctioning small nations like N.Korea & Iran. Sanctioning the Central Bank of Russia is a big thing. Russia anticipated this, which is why there was a flurry of activity in Russia, where they wanted to make BTC legal by Feb 18 (before the end of the Olympics). Some drafts have been circulated. Essentially such power can only be missused once on large nations, they will adapt.
- Putin has sold off, most of his $ reserves, China is doing the same.
- It is obvious to all, including Ukraine, which is asking for donations in  BTC, which  has certain advantages. The Canadians too learnt it first hand, that BTC is not censorable. They froze a lot of Canadian bank accts of the protestors, including GoFundme etc, but could do nothing against BTC donations.
- If you block Putin from transacting in $, he can switch off the gas flows to Europe and sell only to his friend China. He can also ask to be paid in Bitcoin. That would be the nuclear option from his side. pricing oil/gas in BTC will be the end of the US Petro-dollar system and it may happen faster than you think. Why do you think Iran mines BTC ?.

I think a new global money is taking shape, it is non-censorable and you can transport it freely across borders. This is being recognized by more and more countries. History will show this as the beginning of the end of the Petro-Dollar franchise.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:42:08 PM by ya »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 28, 2022, 09:05:36 PM »
If I had some pennies to throw at the dollars I have already put into this play, is this a good moment?  If so, should I put them in BTC or ETH?

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 28, 2022, 11:04:37 PM »
BTC only. With ETH, a lot of smart people think these are shitcoins. In simple language, apart from the 70 % pre-mine by founders, the ETH system is too complex, a Rube Goldberg contraption if you will. Pl. do not over extend, as long as you can sleep comfortably, come what may. No one knows what happens to BTC or anything in the future. There could be a lot of volatility. Important to not be rekt in BTC lingo. If we are right BTC will go to the moon, but with WW3 possible, there could be wild swings in BTC and ability to hold on is most important.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:21:03 PM by ya »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Thank you YA.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
I haven't bought BSV at all
just was reading about it.

Gilder calls holders of bitcoin
 holding on for dear life

yet a  lot of what he has always recommended was/is the same

as for the US Dollar

the US banks and politicians will not stand by idly

at this time this is my biggest fear
   - what will the gov't to .

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Some thoughts on the US$ reserve currency question:

ya:  "Putin has sold off, most of his $ reserves, China is doing the same."

[Doug]  Two edged sword.  That reduces their ability to threaten to sell off their dollars and de-stabilize it.

Also, Russia-China don't own as much US debt as people often think either.  China owns 1Trillion out of 30T.  Less than Japan.  Russia falls somewhere below Luxembourg, Bahamas and Bermuda, if they own any:
https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt
It's not a leverage point.  They cannot threaten to stop buying what they already stopped buying.

Mentioned previously in these threads, the US$ isn't the reserve currency by the choice of places like China, Russia, Saudi, NK, Europe, Brazil or anyone else.  It's not because they like us or admire us.  It's by default.  The alternatives are worse.  Bitcoin may change that, but if the US$ is defective because it lost 8% of its value under one bad US President who has a mid term correction coming, look at the swings in value of Bitcoin. 

One other point:

ya:  "If you block Putin from transacting in $, he can switch off the gas flows to Europe and sell only to his friend China. He can also ask to be paid in Bitcoin. That would be the nuclear option from his side. pricing oil/gas in BTC will be the end of the US Petro-dollar system and it may happen faster than you think."

[Doug]  World oil is a global market and is pardon the expression, fluid.  Shipping costs and issues aside, if China switches it's purchases to Russia, then the Saudi oil etc. they were buying can go to Europe.  Russia already is the largest oil supplier to China:
https://energypolicy.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/file-uploads/Where%20Does%20China%20Get%20Its%20Oil_%20-%20The%20Wire%20China.pdf

If China sides further with Russia and undermines our war effort sanctions, don't they risk sanctions and trade interruptions themselves?  If you are the regime of China, you have a pretty good deal going right now being dictators of a billion reasonably satisfied citizens - compared to reshuffling the deck and turning their own economy on its ear.

Trick question, what is the value of bitcoin today?  The answer is likely to be in dollars.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:44:57 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Good post-- but I quibble with this:

"If China sides further with Russia and undermines our war effort sanctions, don't they risk sanctions and trade interruptions themselves?"

The difference with China is that its economy rivals ours and they have our elites in their pockets. Look for example look at Biden's decision last week to not look for Chinese tech spies for fear of anti-Chinese racism or whatever.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
we deserve some hopium

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
A nice write up from Nik Bhatia, author of "The Bitcoin Layer", on substack. I encourage people to subscribe. Some text has been omitted as were the pictures.

Bitcoin was built for a multipolar world
Bitcoin's role in the Russia/Ukraine war. A multipolar world. Bitcoin's current bull market.

If 2021 was bitcoin’s arrival on the main stage, 2022 is quickly becoming its first major feature. Unfortunately, we have war to thank for that.

War in Ukraine
A core component of my investment thesis on bitcoin is its geopolitical force. With a gravitational pull, bitcoin’s network attracts people and policy makers from all walks of life. The current conflict in Eastern Europe is no different. Before you listen to cries of how bitcoin is helping Putin dodge sanctions and asset freezes, take a moment to observe how bitcoin is color blind and more importantly, politics blind.
Bitcoin enthusiasts thought El Salvador’s legalization of bitcoin brought mainstream legitimacy to bitcoin—how about the government of Ukraine’s official Twitter account asking for donations in cryptocurrency to support its war effort? We’ve crossed over into an era of general understanding that bitcoin is a freedom tool, and it doesn’t discriminate based on any of the traditional metrics: age, nationality, religion, politics, or physical location. Let’s note the two other forms of payment being solicited by Ukraine: Ethereum and USDT, otherwise known as Tether. Bitcoin is sharing this stage with the market’s second largest cryptocurrency, as well as the market’s largest stablecoin (I wrote about Tether recently and its role in the gradual bitcoinization of balance sheets around the world). While my opinion is that neither Ethereum nor Tether can ultimately satisfy the demand for a truly neutral currency, we must acknowledge that bitcoin shared this historic moment with associated technologies.n Russia, bitcoin is taking on a slightly different role—we can see a material spike in bitcoin/ruble volume. WSJ reports:

On Binance, there has been a surge in trading volume of bitcoin in exchange for rubles since just before Russia’s invasion began. Between Feb. 20 and 28, about 1,792 bitcoins exchanged hands in the ruble/bitcoin trading pair, compared with only 522 in the nine days before that, according to data on Binance.

Russian citizens that have used bitcoin as a long-term currency alternative to the ruble are finding solace in their decision this week as BTC/RUB hit an all-time high today. While Ukrainians are using bitcoin to emigrate or raise war funds and Russians are using bitcoin to protect themselves from currency collapse, we will not see the Russian government significantly using crypto to avoid sanctions yet, according to the US Treasury department. https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/25/russia-crypto-sanctions-00011886?_amp=true

I mostly agree here, but for a very specific reason: size. There simply isn’t enough available bitcoin floating in the market to service the demand for all of Russia’s international trade. Regulators are coming for crypto exchanges around the world, but so far Coinbase and Binance have both stated that a blanket ban on all activity mapped to Russia is not being considered. How exchanges deal with government requests in light of the international backlash toward Russia’s invasion of Ukraine will set important precedents. I suggest reading the Politico article linked above for more on how the US Treasury department is thinking about crypto regulation.

Multipolarity
In my quest to learn more about Putin’s aspirations and ground myself in rational geopolitical thought, I turned to the work of geopolitics guru Marko Papic. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/marko-papic-geopolitical-shock-in-a-multi-polar-world/id1223764016?i=1000552424282&uo=4I’ll provide some important takeaways, but for those that have the 37 minutes, I highly suggest the following podcast interview for anybody looking to get caught up to speed on how international relations might play out over the next several years between the US, China, Europe, and beyond. It was a brilliant interview and made me miss the days Marko would come visit me on the trading desk to school our team on the Chinese economy.
I learned about some of the nuance to Ukrainian and Russian demographics and familiarized myself with Putin’s ambitions, but my main takeaways from this conversation were about China and how its position today will affect global politics for the next several years.

For 10 years, the world has been progressing toward multipolarity. We’ve been living in a unipolar, US-centric world for so long that China’s rise gave us a false sense of bipolarity, when in fact neither the US nor China have been able to meaningfully commit countries solely to their sphere. For example, after much drama surrounding Huawei’s 5G technology, the US was only able to convince nine countries to ban Huawei from telecom infrastructure contracts.

Reinforcing a multipolar world, China has peaked in its geopolitical importance for the next several years. It faces a heavy foreign dependence on fossil fuels, consumer demand, and now investment capital. These dependencies are likely to force China into moderated economic growth. China will look within for stability as its economy fails to be the marginal driver of global growth.

In a multipolar world in which the US cannot rally its allies, the door is wide open for megalomaniacs such as Putin to flex their muscle.

The interview did not cover bitcoin, but it had me thinking about how bitcoin was made for multipolarity.

In a dollar-denominated global financial system, countries and companies use dollars to raise capital and to conduct cross-border trade. Because everybody has been using dollars for decades, the reinforcing network effects of a dollar system make it highly unlikely that international trade migrates to another currency. However, this is not always the case. Russia and China, soon after the 2007-2009 financial crisis, agreed to settle bilateral trade in renminbi and rubles.

We can conclude from the Russia/China agreement that countries are looking to diversify away from a full reliance on dollar-based settlement, and the events of the past couple weeks reinforce that countries should have contingency plans that involve bitcoin when access to dollar systems are cut.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Gold competing with Bitcoin..Peter Schiff is a big proponent of Gold over BTC.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
What if the Russian Central Bank, became the first to disclose that they hold BTC ?. Its only a matter of time, before CB's start holding BTC in their treasury. BTC is not going to be banned in the USA, that ship has sailed. The crypto industry is a roughly 2 Trill $ industry, with states like WY and TX being very friendly to BTC.

There is also some speculation that Satoshi Nakamoto is the NSA.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
why I wouldn't be able to buy a pack of gum without the government knowing

I would not put it past the Feds to sell the data to FB so they could monetize it and pay the Feds a fee

to pay for all the wonderful free s..t

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Swiss city Lugano allows BTC to be used for payment.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1499472211232571395

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: If currency reserves are really money, then , , , what?
« Reply #1832 on: March 03, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »
If Russian Currency Reserves Aren’t Really Money, the World Is in for a Shock
Sanctions have shown that currency reserves accumulated by central banks can be taken away. With China taking note, this may reshape geopolitics, economic management and even the international role of the U.S. dollar.

The West has shut off the Russian central bank’s access to most of its foreign reserves.
PHOTO: DIMAS ARDIAN/BLOOMBERG NEWS
By Jon Sindreu
Follow
Updated March 3, 2022 7:44 am ET

“What is money?” is a question that economists have pondered for centuries, but the blocking of Russia’s central-bank reserves has revived its relevance for the world’s biggest nations—particularly China. In a world in which accumulating foreign assets is seen as risky, military and economic blocs are set to drift farther apart.

After Moscow attacked Ukraine last week, the U.S. and its allies shut off the Russian central bank’s access to most of its $630 billion of foreign reserves. Weaponizing the monetary system against a Group-of-20 country will have lasting repercussions.

SDR, IMF position & others
Gold
Currency
'05
'10
'15
'20
$15
trillion
The 1997 Asian Financial Crisis scared developing countries into accumulating more funds to shield their currencies from crashes, pushing official reserves from less than $2 trillion to a record $14.9 trillion in 2021, according to the International Monetary Fund. While central banks have lately sought to buy and repatriate gold, it only makes up 13% of their assets. Foreign currencies are 78%. The rest is positions at the IMF and Special Drawing Rights, or SDR—an IMF-created claim on hard currencies.

Many economists have long equated this money to savings in a piggy bank, which in turn correspond to investments made abroad in the real economy.

Recent events highlight the error in this thinking: Barring gold, these assets are someone else’s liability—someone who can just decide they are worth nothing. Last year, the IMF suspended Taliban-controlled Afghanistan’s access to funds and SDR. Sanctions on Iran have confirmed that holding reserves offshore doesn’t stop the U.S. Treasury from taking action. As New England Law Professor Christine Abely points out, the 2017 settlement with Singapore’s CSE TransTel shows that the mere use of the dollar abroad can violate sanctions on the premise that some payment clearing ultimately happens on U.S. soil.

To be sure, the West has frozen Russia’s stock of foreign exchange, but hasn’t blocked the inflow of new dollars and euros. The country’s current-account surplus is estimated at $20 billion a month due to exports of oil and gas, which the U.S. and the European Union want to keep buying. While these balances go to the private sector, officials have mobilized them. Stopping major banks like Sberbank from using dollars and excluding others from the Swift messaging system still plunges the economy into chaos, especially if foreign businesses are afraid to buy Russian energy despite the sector’s explicit exclusion from sanctions. But hard currency will probably keep gushing in through energy-focused lenders like Gazprombank, and can theoretically be used to pay for imports and buy the ruble.

End of June 2021
End of 2013
Euro
Gold
U.S. Dollar
Renminbi
Sterling
Other
0%
'05
'10
'15
'20
$4
trillion
Yet the entire artifice of “money“ as a universal store of value risks being eroded by the banning of key exports to Russia and boycotts of the kind corporations like Apple and Nike announced this week. If currency balances were to become worthless computer entries and didn’t guarantee buying essential stuff, Moscow would be rational to stop accumulating them and stockpile physical wealth in oil barrels, rather than sell them to the West. At the very least, more of Russia’s money will likely shift into gold and Chinese assets.

Indeed, the case levied against China’s attempts to internationalize the renminbi has been that, unlike the dollar, access to it is always at risk of being revoked by political considerations. It is now apparent that, to a point, this is true of all currencies.

The risk to King Dollar’s status is still limited due to most nations’ alignment with the West and Beijing’s capital controls. But financial and economic linkages between China and sanctioned countries will necessarily strengthen if those countries can only accumulate reserves in China and only spend them there. Even nations that aren’t sanctioned may want to diversify their geopolitical risk. It seems set to further the deglobalization trend and entrench two separate spheres of technological, monetary and military power.

China itself owns $3.3 trillion in currency reserves. Unlike Russia, it cannot usefully hold them in renminbi, a currency it prints. Stockpiling commodities is an alternative. The conundrum creates another incentive for Beijing to reduce its trade surplus by reorienting its economy toward domestic consumption, though it has proven challenging.

What can investors do? For once, the old trope may not be ill advised: buy gold. Many of the world’s central banks will surely be doing it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ: If currency reserves aren't really money, then , , , what?
« Reply #1833 on: March 04, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
"Sanctions have shown that currency reserves accumulated by central banks can be taken away. With China taking note,"

All true, but I would insert... can be taken away - if you invade your neighbor - with China taking note

Once again, countries aren't holding US dollars in currency reserves as some kind of favor or gift to the US.  Currency reserves in US$ provide economic stability to the holder and to their currency. They could switch to euros, oops sanctions.  Switch to yuan, oops house of cards, switch to bitcoin, oops wild swings, switch to the next Venezuelan bolivar, oops worth nothing, or hold no reserves, oops default, collapse on the first downturn.

The threat to the US$ IMHO is real and is coming from within the US.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ: If currency reserves aren't really money, then , , , what?
« Reply #1834 on: March 04, 2022, 07:16:50 AM »
"Sanctions have shown that currency reserves accumulated by central banks can be taken away. With China taking note,"

All true, but I would insert... can be taken away - if you invade your neighbor - with China taking note

Once again, countries aren't holding US dollars in currency reserves as some kind of favor or gift to the US.  Currency reserves in US$ provide economic stability to the holder and to their currency. They could switch to euros, oops sanctions.  Switch to yuan, oops house of cards, switch to bitcoin, oops wild swings, switch to the next Venezuelan bolivar, oops worth nothing, or hold no reserves, oops default, collapse on the first downturn.

The threat to the US$ IMHO is real and is coming from within the US.

At some point, the US acting in an untrustworthy manner will destroy the dollar.

https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/fiat-currency-zero-hour-russia-and?s=r

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Scott Grannis
« Reply #1835 on: March 04, 2022, 09:48:51 AM »
I reached out to Scott with this piece

Zoltan Pozsar Warns Russian Sanctions Threaten Dollar's Reserve Status | ZeroHedge

and this is his response:
================================

As I understand it, the West has shut Russia out from all international payments, in addition to freezing accounts of oligarchs, and that applies to all major currencies, not just the dollar. So I don’t see this as the beginnings of the demise of the dollar as a reserve currency.

If this creates an incentive for change, it would be in the direction of each country maintaining its own “inside money,” e.g., gold or perhaps even Bitcoin. Of course it’s also an incentive to be a good global citizen (i.e., don’t go invading your neighbors). It might also be an incentive to hold more Chinese yuan, but who wants to trust the Chinese these days, especially as they appear to be Russia’s ally in this conflict?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: How the West unplugged Russia from the World Financial System
« Reply #1836 on: March 04, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »
How the West Unplugged Russia From the World’s Financial Systems
Western financiers severed practically every artery of money between the country and the rest of the globe, in some cases going beyond sanctions
Manezhnaya Square in Moscow. Analysts expect Russia’s economy to contract as much as 20% this quarter. THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By Liz Hoffman
March 4, 2022 4:16 pm ET

Two weeks ago, Russia’s companies could sell their goods around the globe and take in investments from overseas stock-index funds. Its citizens could buy MacBooks and Toyotas at home, and freely spend their rubles abroad.

Now they are in a financial bind. Soon after Russia invaded Ukraine, another war began to isolate its economy and pressure President Vladimir Putin. The first move was made by Western governments to sanction the country’s banking system. But over the course of the past week, the financial system took over and severed practically every artery of money between Russia and the rest of the world, in some cases going further than what was required by the sanctions.

Visa Inc. V -3.35% and Mastercard Inc. stopped processing foreign purchases for millions of Russian citizens. Apple Inc. and Google shut off their smartphone-enabled payments, stranding cashless travelers at Moscow metro stations. International firms stepped back from providing the credit and insurance that underpin trade shipments.

This unplugging of the world’s 11th-largest economy opens a new chapter in the history of economic conflict. In a world that relies on the financial system’s plumbing—clearing banks, settlement systems, messaging protocols and cross-border letters of credit—a few concerted moves can flatten a major economy.

Russia now faces a repeat of one of the most painful episodes in its post-Soviet history—the financial crisis of 1998, when its economy collapsed overnight. In the decades that followed, Russia earned its way back into the good graces of financiers in New York, London and Tokyo. It is all being undone at warp speed and will not be easily put back together.

The ruble has lost more than one-quarter of its value and is now virtually useless outside of Russia, with Western firms refusing to exchange it or process overseas transactions. Moscow’s stock exchange was closed for a fifth straight day on Friday. The Russian Central Bank more than doubled interest rates to attract foreign investment and halt the ruble’s free fall. Two firms that are crucial to clearing securities trades, Euroclear and DTCC, said they would stop processing certain Russian transactions.

With their interest payments stuck inside the country—following the sanctions, Mr. Putin also ordered intermediaries in Russia not to pay—some Russian companies and government entities could default on their bond payments to international creditors. That could make the country toxic for investing for years. Shares of Russian companies, even those without obvious ties to the Kremlin, were booted from stock-index funds, which will further isolate them from pools of Western capital.

Analysts expect Russia’s economy to contract as much as 20% this quarter, roughly the same hit the British economy took in the spring of 2020 during the pandemic lockdowns.

Aleksandr Iurev left Moscow eight years ago as an aspiring entrepreneur. Russia’s escalating hostility in the region made it “no place for business people,” he said from his home in New Jersey. The 36-year-old runs a mobile-app startup and this week, he can’t make payroll for the six developers who work for him in Russia because they hold personal accounts at sanctioned banks.

“It is completely shut off,” he said. He’s looking into cryptocurrency to keep his staff from bolting.

His company, Pocketfied, has other problems: Members of his marketing team in Ukraine took the week off to help build street barricades in Dnipro, in the country’s east.

The one lifeline that still connects Russia’s economy to Western markets is its supplies of energy, which European countries rely on and have been loath to cut off, especially during the winter. U.S. lawmakers are pressuring the White House to expand sanctions to include energy payments, which would sap Russia of its largest source of income, at $240 billion last year.

Even if governments don’t act, the market is speaking: Russian oil producers have had trouble finding buyers for shipments since the invasion began.

“The golden age that we had from 1945 to last week is now over,” said Gary Greenberg, head of global emerging markets at Federated Hermes, which manages $669 billion in assets. “As investors, we need to look at things differently now.”

As it dug out from the 1998 crash, Russia plugged itself into the global economy. It joined Brazil, China and India—dubbed the BRIC economies by Western investors—as the next frontier of finance.

American, British and Swiss banks courted the flood of money its oil industry produced. Russia’s biggest banks listed shares in London. One of them moved into an office across the street from the Bank of England. The Moscow exchange itself went public in 2013 with backing from U.S. and European investors.

The first signs of decoupling came in 2014, when Mr. Putin’s territorial ambitions began to stir. Western governments put limited sanctions on Russia after it annexed Crimea from Ukraine.

Russia began trying to sanction-proof its economy. It built its own domestic payments network—called Mir, Russian for “peace”—to function alongside and, if needed, replace those run by Western firms. It shifted its overseas holdings away from the U.S. and its European allies and toward China, which has been relatively more accommodating of Mr. Putin’s efforts to expand his influence and territory. It doubled its gold reserves.

VTB, one of Russia’s largest banks, drew U.S. sanctions.
PHOTO: THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

People walked along Arbat Street in Moscow on Friday.
PHOTO: THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Those efforts to wall itself off may prove insufficient. At least 40% of Russia’s $630 billion in foreign reserves are in countries that have joined in the latest sanctions. The rest, mostly in China, it is free to spend—but only in China. Moving those reserves out of the country would require first converting them into a Western currency like dollars or euros, which no global bank will do.

'19
'20
'21
%
U.S.
China
Gold
Japan
Russia, like many energy-rich countries, exports oil and gas and imports much else—automotive parts, medicines, broadcast equipment, wallpaper, fresh vegetables.

The financial journey that enables their geographical one depends on a complex web of loans, insurance policies and payments. Western banks are stepping back from trade financing, executives said, wary of the risk that their counterparty uses a sanctioned Russian bank, or has ties to a sanctioned oligarch. Maersk, the Danish shipping giant, suspended deliveries to Russia, citing tougher terms now being demanded by financiers.

Czarnikow Group, a London-based trade-financing firm, was preparing this week to send a shipload of a specialty plastic used in soda bottles and clamshell packaging, with scheduled stops in Russia and Ukraine. On Monday, the firm got notice from its insurance provider that its policy would no longer cover the ship.

“It was obvious we weren’t going to be able to put a vessel in,” said Robin Cave, Czarnikow’s chief executive, who began looking for alternative ports and is talking to his client about where to send the cargo.

Swift Sanctions: How Cutting Off Banks Pressures Russia
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Play video: Swift Sanctions: How Cutting Off Banks Pressures Russia
A powerful coalition of democracies announced it would cut off some Russian banks from the global payment system Swift. Here’s how Swift works, and how the move could ramp up pressure on Russian President Putin. Photo: Anton Vaganov/Reuters
The steps taken by financial firms could close off Russia from global markets for years. Some of the largest index compilers, which maintain lists of stocks that are tracked by trillions of dollars of investments, said they would exclude Russian stocks.

The move was in part a practical decision. With the Moscow stock exchange still closed, it is impossible to assign prices to those shares. But it will ultimately damp the flow of foreign capital into Russia’s economy, said Anusha Chari, a professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

An increasing share of investment dollars simply tracks such collections of securities. When Russian companies fall out of the index, that money disappears, which makes it harder for those companies to raise cash in the future.

“It puts the brakes on real investment,” Ms. Chari said.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
How effective do you think the sanctions against Russia will be? Join the conversation below.

Index compilers have dropped countries from key indexes before, during periods of economic instability in places like Pakistan and Argentina. But in those cases, the decisions came after months of deliberations, said Dimitris Melas, a senior executive at MSCI Inc., which took the step Thursday.

“The speed with which events are unfolding, and the severity, made us act a lot faster,” he said.

Whether investors will be able to sell the Russian assets they hold is less clear. Norway’s largest pension fund, KLP Group, planned to unload its Russian stocks this week. With the Moscow exchange still closed, it has resorted to selling shares of companies with a dual listing in London, said Kiran Aziz, an executive at the $70 billion fund.

“The market is essentially dead” for Russian assets, said Edward Al-Hussainy, an analyst at Columbia Threadneedle Investments. For the first time he can remember, investors are telling the firm to sell—no matter the price.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Zerohedge responds to Grannis
« Reply #1838 on: March 05, 2022, 10:07:14 PM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/when-normality-exposed-ponzi

Are the various things at play going to finally collapse things?

Zoltan Pozsar Warns Russian Sanctions Threaten Dollar's Reserve Status | ZeroHedge

As I understand it, the West has shut Russia out from all international payments, in addition to freezing accounts of oligarchs, and that applies to all major currencies, not just the dollar. So I don’t see this as the beginnings of the demise of the dollar as a reserve currency.

If this creates an incentive for change, it would be in the direction of each country maintaining its own “inside money,” e.g., gold or perhaps even Bitcoin. Of course it’s also an incentive to be a good global citizen (i.e., don’t go invading your neighbors). It might also be an incentive to hold more Chinese yuan, but who wants to trust the Chinese these days, especially as they appear to be Russia’s ally in this conflict?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 03:51:52 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
How do we explain the dramatic drop in BTC and ETH and GBTC?

Are not present events the sort of thing that should drive them up?

Here's Jack Mallers explaining
https://twitter.com/i/status/1500490429535592450

Full episode: https://www.whatbitcoindid.com/podcast/orange-pilling-the-imf

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Zerohedge responds to Grannis
« Reply #1840 on: March 06, 2022, 12:18:51 PM »
https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/100/763/320/original/6968c543daa0faee.jpeg

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Zerohedge responds to Grannis
« Reply #1841 on: March 06, 2022, 03:38:33 PM »
https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/100/797/613/original/9aae9c473804ff94.jpg

https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/100/763/320/original/6968c543daa0faee.jpeg

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Can't say that I disagree with the implications here
« Reply #1842 on: March 06, 2022, 11:01:27 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Can't say that I disagree with the implications here
« Reply #1843 on: March 07, 2022, 05:34:36 AM »
but what otherwise would I have done?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1500258147893747714.html

The prison walls are being erected around us.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
some thoughts
« Reply #1844 on: March 07, 2022, 06:33:01 AM »
The merging of US gov. and corporations , companied during wartime is hardly new

though I do not know of this during a period when we are NOT at war
and we have simply chosen to help one side

During WW1 Wilson had people put in jail for being against US entry into the war
During WW 2 we had the Japanese US citizens kept in camps

but of course this was once we entered the war

however these days I am thinking it would be more political party specific ->. republicans get imprisoned   if you speak out.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hey YA and anyone else...
« Reply #1847 on: March 07, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »
Do you have a recommended wallet for crypto?

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
For trading/spending, or for long term storage ?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
For trading/spending, or for long term storage ?

Both.