Author Topic: Money/inflation, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, BTC, crypto, Gold  (Read 521989 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, bitcoin, crypto, Gold/Silver
« Reply #2700 on: November 27, 2023, 08:25:21 AM »
Good article.

I'm thinking we need to keep more of an eye on IBD for articles for here.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Argentina's dollarization
« Reply #2701 on: November 27, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »
Argentina’s Big Dollarization Risk
The country needs a hard currency, but finding the real peso-dollar market rate could be painful.
Mary Anastasia O’Grady
By
Mary Anastasia O’Grady
Follow
Nov. 26, 2023 4:41 pm ET

The most notable part of Javier Milei’s victory speech on Nov. 19 was what he didn’t say. Argentina’s president-elect promised to rebuild the country, reconcile fiscal accounts and bring liberty to long-suffering Argentines. But he never mentioned dollarization, which had been a key plank in his platform.

On Thursday news broke that Milei adviser and dollarization advocate Emilio Ocampo declined the post of central-bank president. This is a sharp departure from expectations created in September when Mr. Milei said the former Morgan Stanley managing director would be the man for the job.

Also on Thursday news reports emerged that Mr. Milei’s choice for economy minister is anti-dollarization economist Luis Caputo, who was finance minister for former president Mauricio Macri. While the Caputo nomination isn’t official, differences between the two candidates would be the best explanation for Mr. Ocampo’s change of heart.

This is by no means the end of Mr. Milei’s promise to close the central bank and dollarize. But it does suggest that he doesn’t have the stomach to try it immediately. Backing away in the short run may be politically practical but it also raises the odds it will never be done.

There’s a reason the Argentine flag is the international symbol for inflation. For decades successive Argentine governments have spent more on their populism than they’ve been able to collect in revenue. To close the gap, after the capacity to borrow has been exhausted, they’ve instructed the central bank to print whatever is necessary to pay the bills. Any pretense of central-bank independence quickly withers before a voracious political class.

To cure the resulting inflation, governments have imposed price controls, capital controls, more protectionism and heavy regulation. Argentines have plenty of practice staying one step ahead of the authorities. Dollars flee across the water to Uruguay or are hoarded at home. The economy shrinks, foreign and local investors disappear and real prices of assets tumble.

If only it were safe to hold greenbacks in Argentina, knowing they couldn’t be confiscated by the government and could be taken out of the bank or the country at will. Locals, who are said to hold some $230 billion in coffee cans, under mattresses and abroad, might put their money in banks, where they could tap in to credit at dollar prices. Foreigners might rush to buy into one of the richest, most undervalued markets in the world.

This is the motivation behind Mr. Milei’s campaign pledge to dollarize. No more pesos, no more problem. On Friday the office of the president-elect reiterated that “the closure of the Central Bank of the Argentine Republic (BCRA) is not negotiable.” Presuming that his word is good, the questions now are timing and sequencing.

To dollarize the government would choose a date to convert all legal contracts, bank accounts and assets and liabilities of firms and the government into dollars. The transition requires peso-price discovery, which in turn requires letting the currency float freely and lifting capital controls for a period before the conversion. Pesos in circulation can be gradually redeemed for dollars over time and the monetary base is frozen. Dollarization would boost confidence, the theory goes, and thereby solve a severe dollar shortage. That said, the uncertainty isn’t negligible.

The central bank has negative net reserves, can’t provide importers the dollars they need to pay suppliers and is running a high-yield Ponzi scheme with banks. The government is bankrupt. Would a sudden burst of trust in the Argentine state materialize if it made the dollar the national currency while committing to a future fiscal adjustment and deregulation of labor markets? It’s possible that the former might force the latter. Mr. Milei’s strong showing with 56% of the vote allows him to claim a mandate, Congress will be under pressure to let him pursue his agenda and some moderate Peronists and other opponents may see it in their interest to advance reform.

But let’s not ignore the magnitude of the crisis Mr. Milei inherits. The current official exchange rate is 350 pesos to the dollar and in the black market it’s around 1,000 pesos to $1. Because of exchange and capital controls, no one knows the peso’s true value. If, as is likely, hyperinflation already exists, then the fuse is lit. The bomb is about to be placed in Mr. Milei’s lap.

Argentina is in for a painful adjustment. The best Mr. Milei can do is minimize the damage from the explosion while trying to protect his political capital. A controlled devaluation over time—leading to the end of the pegged exchange rate and free capital flows—if accompanied by structural reforms could soften the blow. But that’s a lot of “ifs.” The larger imperative of terminating the abusive power of the state to print money won’t go away. Argentina needs a hard currency.

Write to O’Grady@wsj.com

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, bitcoin, crypto, Gold/Silver
« Reply #2702 on: November 27, 2023, 01:56:28 PM »
Good article.

I'm thinking we need to keep more of an eye on IBD for articles for here.

I think this is an excellent article but when I look at their site I mainly see articles about individual stocks and daily market moves (which for the most part don't interest me).

A few years ago these people (at the link) split off from IBD editorial staff, and they have excellent editorials:
https://issuesinsights.com/about-us/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 27, 2023, 03:33:16 PM »
Works for me  8-)

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Repo and Reverse Repo
« Reply #2706 on: November 29, 2023, 04:20:52 AM »
This is the best explanation of Repo and Reverse Repo in the web.

https://twitter.com/jameslavish/status/1729618865137811776
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 05:08:38 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 29, 2023, 04:59:49 AM »
Periodic reminder, almost 34T$ now

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 01, 2023, 03:34:24 AM »
Current projections are that the BTC ETF will be approved between Jan 5-10, 2024. Expect the BTC price to increase atleast until then, maybe a small pullback after ETF approval and then the journey continues.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 04:58:01 AM by ya »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 01, 2023, 04:45:54 AM »
Get the real thing..

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 03, 2023, 08:06:53 AM »
He explains the impact of a BTC ETF

https://twitter.com/i/status/1730789692071973091

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: December 06, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
Doug:

What brought you to this site?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Collapse of money supply?!?
« Reply #2716 on: December 06, 2023, 06:01:02 PM »
https://confoundedinterest.net/2023/12/06/easy-money-the-money-supply-continues-its-biggest-collapse-since-the-great-depression-as-credit-card-rates-exceed-20-49-straight-weeks-of-negative-m2-money-growth/

Doug:

What brought you to this site?

Through a news and opinion site.  The author is an economist I sometimes follow.  Are you finding it accurate?

"Anthony B. Sanders is Distinguished Professor of Real Estate Finance in the School of Business at George Mason University.
He has previously taught at the University of Chicago (Graduate School of Business) and The Ohio State University (Fisher College of Business). He served as director and head of Asset-backed and Mortgage-backed Securities Research at Deutsche Bank in New York City.

Professor Sanders’ research and teaching focuses on investments, financial institutions, and real estate finance. He has published articles in Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Business, Journal of Financial Services Research, Real Estate Economics, Journal of Housing Economics, and other journals. Professor Sanders has received six teaching awards and three research awards. He serves as associate editor for several leading journals. He has given presentations to the Federal Reserve of Cleveland, Bank of England, European Central Bank in Frankfurt, and Bank of Japan, as well as academic and executive education presentations in Australia, Chile, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan, China, Poland, Mexico, South Africa, and the United States."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:05:52 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 07, 2023, 01:49:37 AM »
Thank you.   Those seem like legit creds.

I was a bit put off by click bait headlining using a different sui generis definition of money.  I confess to being quite surprised at the assertion of an absolute contraction in money.   I will run this by someone I know , , ,

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 09, 2023, 05:22:18 AM »
Steven Lubka, incharge of high net worth individuals at Swan Bitcoin..

"Had a call with a financial advisor and asked him why his clients haven't bought Bitcoin yet if the ETF is obvious:

"They don't want to buy the Bitcoin they just want to buy the ETF. No one with substantial wealth has the time to figure out the asset itself"

Bullish"

Some of you may identify with the sentiment. :-D

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 09, 2023, 06:12:16 AM »
This chart is the most important one to understand... Essentially there will be very limited supply of "liquid BTC" after the 5 th halving, unless the price sky rockets and someone takes profit. The rising Blue curve shows people are "hodling", i.e. their BTC are not on exchanges but in their custody.

If you like to get mathematical/technical, pl. read this https://bitcoinmagazine.com/markets/the-hodl-model

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Nation state BTC adoption
« Reply #2720 on: December 09, 2023, 06:43:34 AM »
Samson Mow is CEO of Jan3 a company specializing in nation state BTC adoption. He helped El Salvador do that and is working with multiple countries. He presents a key insight, he is not talking about investing in BTC for a 2-3X, but in changing the financial system completely. Samson is one of the OG's in the field.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1733263699803066546
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:24:10 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 10, 2023, 05:18:10 PM »
BTC

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 13, 2023, 03:42:30 AM »
In my opinion, Gensler made BlackRock put that text in, there is no risk of BTC being classified as a security. CFTC has already classified BTC as a commodity. Gensler has himself said BTC is not a security.

The current drop is because BTC had run up too high, too fast, see the top chart (i.e. overheated). Expect it to be back up very soon.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 15, 2023, 04:44:35 AM »
Inflation is not going away.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 15, 2023, 05:09:01 AM »
What do you think of Doug's post #2716?

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 15, 2023, 06:10:32 PM »
I dont think one can look at the M2 in isolation, nor am I an expert on it. To me it suggests recession is coming, or at best stagflation.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 16, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »
What do you think of Doug's post #2716?

I dont think one can look at the M2 in isolation, nor am I an expert on it. To me it suggests recession is coming, or at best stagflation.

I better comment on "Doug's post" as well...   )

https://confoundedinterest.net/2023/12/06/easy-money-the-money-supply-continues-its-biggest-collapse-since-the-great-depression-as-credit-card-rates-exceed-20-49-straight-weeks-of-negative-m2-money-growth/

From the article:  "Easy Money?? The Money Supply Continues Its Biggest Collapse Since The Great Depression As Credit Card Rates Exceed 20% (49 Straight Weeks Of Negative M2 Money Growth)"

[Doug]  Point of clarification, when they say, "since the Great Depression] they are not saying analogous to the Great Recession.  Like the President of Harvard says, depends on the context.  Recent quantitative expansion of $4 trillion preceded this (alleged) contraction.  As stated in the article, the stoppage of commercial lending is part of the contraction.  It's a sign of a (business) contraction not just a cause.

From the article:  "These factors all point toward a bubble that is in the process of popping."  (Economist's opinion)

[Doug] We knew here for a long time interest rates near zero, and excess government spending, and excess money creation (quantitative expansion) were causing artificial stimuli that would come back to bite us.  Even Democrats knew, Jim Clyburn: "All of us knew..."

I've pointed to the commercial real estate crisis, the housing debacle, the public debt crisis, the credit card interest rates, and the skyrocketing credit card balances.  We are sometimes surprised by the resiliency of the US private economy to survive what is thrown at it, but I agree with ya: "To me it suggests recession is coming, or at best stagflation."

Then as Crafty points out, we see contrary indicators.  Oil prices and gas prices coming down, partly as a symptom of a slowdown, partly as supplier response to the crazy high prices.  Interest rates (depending on which ones you look at) tripled.  Now they ease slightly and the market gets excited.  Something caused by a slowdown created a 'wealth effect'.  Go figure.

As always regarding economists, I'm very happy to get great analysis of the past so we can learn from it.  Forecasting the future is another matter.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 16, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 17, 2023, 07:02:57 AM »
Not new..but worth re-emphasizing for the next cycle in BTC

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: December 19, 2023, 04:17:22 AM »
The most interesting man in the world below. Over the next year, BTC will be marketed to the US population like never before. BTC ETF approval is near certain. Enjoy the ride.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1736755061127020794

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 21, 2023, 05:10:24 AM »
In 2024 BTC will suffer two shocks, a demand shock due to the ETF and institutions and pension funds getting access to it, as well as a supply shock due to the halving. It will be volatile, so fasten your seat belts. When demand goes up and supply goes down, fireworks should happen.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 22, 2023, 03:35:16 PM »
Between Jan 8-10, expect the following BTC ETF's to be approved. These create the demand shock. 401K's can now invest in it.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: December 23, 2023, 05:40:46 AM »
Jan 2024

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Theory on US digital dollar and BTC
« Reply #2734 on: December 23, 2023, 09:39:35 AM »
Possible rumor that there is definitely a digital dollar on the near horizon.

Possible Jan 10.

Gensler will allow BTC

BUT !  => 

you can only buy it is with a US digital dollar.

This way the government gets control of it and can track it for tax and investigative money laundering control.

That way the US gov and central banks
and pain in the ass control freaks like Jamie Dimon and continue to have some if not control, at least the ability to track it.

I wonder what this tie to the digital dollar will have on buying it.
If money keeps getting printed or the dollar declines in value less BTC can be bought

It will also reduce "decentralization"  which is not a terrible big deal for me
but would be to others mostly criminals.

Any thoughts on this.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: December 23, 2023, 01:16:07 PM »
No its a bit different, the technical terms are "cash create" and in-kind". Gensler is pushing for cash create, which means the ETF can only be purchased with cash (US $). It has nothing to do with digital dollars. The in-kind is to purchase with BTC, but the SEC is not allowing that since the source of BTC is hard to verify. The in-kind is what is customer friendly and what the big companies want, but they have been asked to tow the line with using cash US $, which can be better tracked. Also you cannot withdraw in BTC, only in cash.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: December 23, 2023, 03:51:57 PM »
Adding my two cents, a civics point:

The overbearing, totalitarian, unelected part of our government would of course like to ban cash and lay down bitcoin rules to control us. But a "law" the way I remember it  needs to: originate in the House(?), survive a filibuster and pass in the Senate, be signed by the President or returned to the House and Senate for supermajorities of representatives accountable to the people.

Funny we never hear that, just here's what they're planning to do to us next, and no one seems to care.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 06:35:58 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar,
« Reply #2737 on: December 23, 2023, 05:49:47 PM »
On this infamous day in history, we created the Federal Reserve and now 98% of that dollar is lost to history.

https://www.heritage.org/monetary-policy/commentary/time-end-the-fed-and-its-mismanagement-our-economy

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 26, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »
This raises a deep and disturbing question , , ,

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 28, 2023, 04:00:31 AM »
Soon

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 30, 2023, 06:31:48 AM »
JP Dimon is the biggest Fraud and hypocrite. After his Senate testimony calling BTC a fraud and money laundering instrument, 2 weeks later it turns out that JP Morgan will actually hold and run BTC operations for BlackRock's ETF. BR is the largest fund in the world with 9.5 T in assets. Always watch what they do and not what they say.

In other news, the DOJ will no longer look into Sam Bankman Fried's donations to congress, mostly to democrats. The optics of congressmen testifying on receiving American's monies fraudulently would not be good.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741075530470875560

https://twitter.com/i/status/1741100200465183034
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 07:11:55 AM by ya »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
speaking of Jamie Dimon
« Reply #2742 on: December 30, 2023, 08:57:34 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/jamie-dimon-my-heart-is-democratic-but-my-brain-is-kind-of-republican.html

sort of sounds like one of those people who describe themselves as fiscal conservative but social liberal.

they don't understand that is an oxymoron that makes no sense.

one cancels out the other.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: speaking of Jamie Dimon
« Reply #2743 on: December 30, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/jamie-dimon-my-heart-is-democratic-but-my-brain-is-kind-of-republican.html

sort of sounds like one of those people who describe themselves as fiscal conservative but social liberal.

they don't understand that is an oxymoron that makes no sense.

one cancels out the other.

That's my view as well.  Friends who vote liberal but know the damage government causes tell me they are "fiscally conservative and socially liberal".  That somehow covers them for not having to justify the policies they voted for.

I say no.  You are choosing socially liberal (whatever that means) over being fiscally conservative.  You are NOT voting fiscally conservative.  You're voting for ALL this debt and ALL these government programs and all these encrochments on liberty when you vote for them.  You own this mess.

Now friends who voted up for all these taxes and regulations here are moving to Florida, Texas and Arizona, and not hiding the fact that a big reason is for tax savings.  F*ck them (did I say that aloud?).  They call it 6 months and a day and Northerners have been doing it since my grandfather's time.  And then they bring their liberal voting with them to the south.

Meanwhile I get to deduct my state taxes paid in Florida ($0.00) on Florida investments from what I owe Minnesota on the total instead of subtracting the Florida income, so MN gets the tax on Florida income. Insert profanity here.  Confiscatory taxation.  It's their money, in their mind, all of it, until you can prove it is not, and you must prove it under their rules.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:19:31 AM by DougMacG »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 31, 2023, 04:28:22 AM »
Some rumors of ETF approval by Jan 2-3.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
That is very funny.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Congresscritters Out Preform the Market by a Huge Margin
« Reply #2747 on: January 04, 2024, 12:06:19 AM »
Jeepers, these guys must be really smart. Or do you think some other factor accounts for these investment returns?

https://notthebee.com/article/ususual-whales-has-the-full-rundown-of-the-biggest-usually-timed-trades-made-by-members-of-congress-last-year

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Expect a lot of BTC volatility over the next several days. Enjoy the ride.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
BBG , I wonder how many and how much legislatures are into BTC.

Ya, ETF approval by 1/10?