Author Topic: Rest in Peace R.I.P. RIP  (Read 47533 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mr. Wiesel: RIP
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
One of my few, until today, living heroes .  I had the privilege of seeing him speak in the 1990s when I was in Florida.

Reading his wikipedia page I notice there is a "controversy" section.  From the liberal Jews of course even giving him a hard time over Israel:

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elie_Wiesel

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rest in Peace R.I.P. RIP
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 01:45:22 PM »
Now in judging the full measure of a man who would you rate as the better human being?  E Weisel or Sid Blumenthal and the chip off his father's old block?

Liberal Jews are not Jews.  They are Democrats.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/02/elie-wiesel-perfect-tribute-hate-tweet-clinton-associate/

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Superb Article on Elie Wiesel and His Life...
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 05:05:13 AM »
Was Elie Wiesel Happy?

Yosef Abramowitz - The Jerusalem Post

“You came for me?” asked a bewildered Mikhail Gorbachev.

“As a Jew, I owe you that much,” responded Elie Wiesel.

French president Mitterand sent Wiesel aboard a government plane to Moscow, where he met Gorbachev immediately after the 1991 coup failure, several months before the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

“When Gorbachev saw me he was moved. I asked myself, why was he moved, with tears in his eyes? Because he had just realized that his friends were not his friends. Every single one had betrayed him. Those whom he had elevated, abandoned him. I have rarely seen a man as lonely as he was. And here comes a young Jew, and says I’m here to help you, to give you support. I was thinking: I’m a yeshiva bucher from Sighet, and all of a sudden I’m involved with presidents, bringing personal messages, and traveling in government planes. I was surprised.”

Wiesel’s life-long self-image as “a yeshiva bucher from Sighet” provided important hints not only into his pre-Holocaust life, but also insights as to how the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize laureate viewed himself. Wiesel has been described as a modem prophet, a moving writer, a brilliant teacher and even a Jewish superstar. He is best known, however, as a survivor of Nazi horrors. Yet to keep describing Wiesel in all the obituaries as a survivor does an injustice to the totality of his life and accomplishments. Elie Wiesel did not merely survive, he triumphed. And if he would have paused long enough to consider it toward the end of his remarkable life, he might even have said he was happy.

Passing away at 87, Wiesel marked nearly 60 years since the publication of the best-selling Night and almost three decades since being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. “I can’t believe it,” he said in a conversation with this writer, smiling and shaking his head at the incredible path his life had taken.
x

Books were everywhere at Wiesel’s home on the 26th floor of a nondescript Upper East Side Manhattan apartment building. A visitor is first confronted by thousands of books in Hebrew, Yiddish, French, and English that cover nearly every inch of space between the floor and ceiling of the L-shaped living room. One upper shelf in a corner is devoted to the more than 30 titles bearing Wiesel’s name. People are not aware that when he was a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize, he was also being seriously considered for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Two framed pictures are the lone exceptions to the otherwise book-lined walls. When Wiesel sat at his large desk, he faced on the far wall a sketch of Jerusalem. When he turned around to use the computer, he looked right into a dark black-and-white photograph of the house in Sighet where he grew up, which is featured in his memoirs along with 16 pages of family photos.

“Since I began writing, I always face that house,” he said in a television interview. “I must know where I come from.”

Eliezer Wiesel was born in the picturesque town of Sighet, below the Carpathian mountains that were once home to the Ba’al Shem Tov, the father of Chasidism. Tantalized by Chasidic tales his grandfather told, Wiesel’s happiest childhood memories were punctuated with singing Shabbat songs, eating chocolates and studying a page of Talmud under a tree while the other youngsters played ball.

“He was a little sickly and certainly what we call bookish,” recalled Professor David Weiss Halivni, who studied in cheder with Wiesel in Sighet. Halivni, a former professor of religion at Columbia University and one of Wiesel’s closest friends, said that even as a child, Wiesel was “artistically more sensitive” to the mystical teachings of their teacher. Halivni believed Wiesel's sense of humor was conditioned as a child. “Maybe he had a premonition,” he said.

“We were in the ghetto together. He was on the last transport. I was on the first. I left on Monday, he left Thursday,” recalled Halivni. “So we came to Auschwitz at different times.”

“We met in Auschwitz,” said Rabbi Menashe Klein. Wearing a black Chasidic robe, tzitzit, white beard and sidelocks, Klein strikes one as Wiesel’s Old World alter ego. This is perhaps how Wiesel himself might have looked had his life, his studies, and his preoccupation with mysticism not been interrupted by history. “Somehow we got to Buchenwald and were liberated there together,” he said. “We went to France then, and Professor Wiesel attended the Sorbonne. I, on the other hand, kept dwelling in our Torah.”

Rabbi Klein, whose study in Brooklyn was also crowded with religious books, explained that Wiesel took a different path after the war as a result of the shock of his experiences during the Holocaust.

After the war, Wiesel studied in Paris, where he earned money directing a choir. Later he became the Paris correspondent for the Israel daily, Yediot Aharonot, earning $30 a month. His big break came when he moved to New York to work with the Yiddish Forward, earning $175 a month as a copy editor; writer and translator. “I remember when he lived on 103rd Street,” says Halivni. “He had only a small room, narrow, dark—you could see the poverty. I remember him sitting on the floor surrounded by records of Bach. At that time he was practically starving.”

In 1956, Wiesel stepped off a curb in Times Square and was struck by a speeding taxi. Following the accident, which left him hospitalized for seven months, Wiesel desperately needed money and tried covering the United Nations on crutches for Yediot. Golda Meir, then foreign minister, took pity on the young journalist and would invite him back to her hotel suite, where she would prepare omelets and tea and brief him on the day’s events. In 1967, his books, which had been commercial failures, began to sell, and Wiesel was able to leave daily journalism to concentrate on book writing.

So powerfully embedded in the popular psyche is Wiesel’s association with the Holocaust that many would find it surprising that the topic rarely came up in his classes or in his writings.

“When people didn’t talk about the Shoah, I felt I had to. So many people are doing it now, I don’t need to any more,” he explained. In fact, he always thought twice about raising the issue. “I’m afraid of making it into a routine. I want it that whenever I mention the word Shoah, I should stop for a second and my voice should tremble, my whole being should tremble before pronouncing that word.”

Halivni left public speaking about the Holocaust to Wiesel. “But when he comes to see me,” he said, “He listens and I shout.”

While the Holocaust rarely figures prominently in Wiesel’s public life in the later years of his life, his sensitivity as a survivor gave him an appreciation for every moment, and for life’s fragility. He and his wife, Marion, used to travel on separate flights. “Just in case,” he said, like a quick prayer, eyes flashing toward Heaven.

It also drove him to work hard.

“There are people who want to do more than they can. Wiesel is one of them,” said Rabbi Klein, who, like Wiesel, went to sleep late and woke up early to study and write. “For Wiesel, the Nobel Peace Prize is no more than a ladder, a step, toward fulfilling a goal for which he remained alive: to do for the Jewish people.”

“A person cannot live with the feeling that they have achieved the highest,” said Halivni, who claimed that the Nobel Prize had been a mixed blessing for Wiesel.

“The Nobel Prize did not become an end, rather a new beginning. He realizes that the Nobel Prize was given to him as ‘Mr. Jew,’ and therefore he owes it to the Jewish people. In a sense it entails a greater responsibility. It has imposed a burden on him; the possibility of extending help, because of his connections, is much bigger. There is nothing more frightening for a sensitive person than having power.”

While New York is far from Sighet, Elie Wiesel was never far from the forces that molded his childhood: chasidism and the Holocaust. And the struggle of these two forces to coexist in one soul is what shaped Elie Wiesel until his last day, providing the creative tension for his achievements and writings. Deep within him lay a young yeshiva bucher from Sighet; deep within he believed he survived the Nazi horrors for a purpose.

Clad in a well-tailored gray suit and hugging a velvet blue Torah scroll, Elie Wiesel danced in a tight circle with his friends and sang songs of praise to the God he had so often challenged. Wiesel was glowing; gone was the trademark somber look that is naturally chiseled in his sullen, handsome face. It was Simchat Torah for the Jewish people. Yet for Wiesel it was more; it was also his birthday.

“We never celebrated birthdays at home,” Wiesel said of his childhood. He rarely celebrated the occasion because “to me every minute is a victory.”

Wiesel credited his sanity to his family and friends. “I read, I listen to music, I speak with friends. My life is full. The main thing is not to waste time.” But then he added, “Sometimes I think that I too am insane. I was always in the minority, like the madman. When I began to talk about trying to teach the Shoah, how many others were there? When I began for Russian Jewry, how many others were there then?” “What keeps Wiesel sane?” pondered Rabbi Menashe Klein. “We sing together, eat together, daven together, walk together. He comes here before every holiday. Mostly we meet, we talk.” Klein says that Wiesel, who sang in a choir as a child, still loved to sing Chasidic melodies. “He would begin singing Friday night at 5:30 p.m. and wouldn’t stop until after 2 a.m.”

Wiesel said that his daily study of Jewish texts was essential for him. “I love to study. It gives you a good sense of proportion. After all, what Rambam says maybe is more important than the article I wrote for The New York Times.”

Wiesel's preoccupation with books began early. When others were hording food and valuables, the young Wiesel brought books to study onto the cramped cattle car to Auschwitz.

Dr. David Weiss Halivni and Wiesel expressed their friendship by always speaking Hebrew to each other. Halivni was one of the few who could really make Wiesel laugh. “The lightest moments we have are when we bring up characters from Sighet,” he said.

What kind of characters? There was the shadchan (matchmaker), Ziegenfeld, who always walked with an umbrella. And then there was the tall shochet (ritual slaughterer) and his short wife. And many others. “Hardly a conversation passes when we don’t talk about Sighet,” Halivni said. “When describing these things, recapturing the comical aspects of Sighet, then I see him having a hearty laugh.”

Was Wiesel happy? To his friends, the question seemed irrelevant. “We never think in those terms,” said Halivni. He explained that Chasidic spirituality gave Wiesel freedom—a second liberation—and that Wiesel “needs the joy of Chasidut because he cannot always live in the shadow of the Holocaust.”

Wiesel, hesitant to allow an affirmative answer, gave a traditional response. “We don’t speak about happiness in our faith, we speak about simcha vesasson (joy and gladness). What do we ask for? Shalom, yes. We mainly ask for Yirat shamayim (fear of heaven), for study, for chaim shel Torah (life of Torah). What is Torah? Meaning. My life has been the pursuit of meaning, not joy.”

For Wiesel, without a Jewish context there was no enjoyment. When asked. about simcha vesasson in his own life, he paused briefly, and then his words flowed in his soft French accent. “Nineteen forty-eight, when Israel was born. I remember that Shabbat in Paris. I felt joy that came from history. Then the ‘67 war. Shichrur Yerushalayim (the liberation of Jerusalem), something that remains with me. And Simchat Torah in Moscow with young people.”

Yet “there is something missing, and when something is missing, happiness can’t be present because happiness means nothing is missing. What is missing?” The Boston University professor paused and then answered the question. “Certainty. You have the haunting feeling that history is trying to purge itself of its demons, of its nightmares with the pursuit of violence of bloodshed, of hatred.

“In this generation, the pursuit of pleasure is at the expense of happiness. Pleasure is instant pleasure. Everything we are obtaining is instant. Instant meaning, instant love, instant philosophy, instant truth.

“The Gaon of Vilna said that the hardest mitzvah to accomplish is ‘v’samachta bechagecha' (rejoice in your holidays). ‘Do not steal,’ ‘do not kill,’ everything is easy. ‘Vesamachta bechagecha!’ To make sure that you rejoice,” Wiesel said energetically.

Wiesel’s voice then became barely audible, his downward gaze was steady. His consciousness seemed to have been transported to another time. “Another kind of joy, even deeper than that, and more personal, was the birth of my son... even more, the brit of my son. To me in my life, it has the importance of the birth of Israel, the reunification of Jerusalem. I felt it in my body, in every cell of my body....”

The phone broke his trance, and Wiesel walked over to his executive-size mahogany desk to answer it. On it sit two photographs: One of him with his wife and their son Shlomo-Elisha, and one a close-up of their son, both taken at least 35 years ago. Wiesel named his son after his father, who was in the camps with him and died only weeks before Wiesel’s liberation. “I was 16 years old when my father died,” writes Wiesel in his memoirs.

“My father was dead and the pain was gone. I no longer felt anything. Someone had died inside me, and that someone was me.”

“My father had no official position in the community, he was a kind of intercessor in the community, he was a grocery store owner,” Wiesel said in a tone of great respect. “Somehow, I don’t know how, he always defended the Jews with the authorities. Therefore, when something would happen, they would come to my father.” At times his father was so busy with Jewish communal business that the young Wiesel would only see him at home on the Sabbath.

Wiesel himself had no official position in the Jewish community, yet he has served as an intercessor with heads of state, including President Reagan prior to his trip to Bitburg and President Clinton, to ask him to do more to help the Bosnians. As Prime Ministers, both Ehud Olmert and Binyamin Netanyahu tried convincing Wiesel to accept the position of President of the State of Israel. “The need to help Jews, I think I am following in my father’s footsteps and I think he would have wanted it that way,” said Wiesel. Wiesel said that he has only recently realized the similarities between himself and his father, and explains that it took a long time to come to this conclusion “because of kibbud av (respect of one’s father), I didn’t dare compare myself with him. He saved Jewish lives; I didn’t. I try to teach, but he saved Jewish lives. He was arrested, he was tortured. I was not. So how can I compare myself to him?” Just as Wiesel struggled with being a son, he also wrestled with being a father. “The hardest is to be a good father, always” confessed Wiesel. Halivni says that it is not easy being the son of a great man. Shlomo-Elisha, a Yale graduate who now works in finance, had been heard to say, half-jokingly: “It’s hard growing up in a house where your dad is the arbiter of morality in the 20th century.”

Wiesel believed that “the father-son relationship is a test, both for the father and for the son. When the son leaves home, it is harder for the father than for the son,” he said, hoping not to betray the privacy of his family life while trying to convey the love and understanding he had for his son. “The son has to free himself on the one hand, and at the same time be loyal,” he said, speaking perhaps about both his relationship with his father and his son’s with him. “The hardest things are the most rewarding.”

Yosef I. Abramowitz, Elie Wiesel’s student, serves as CEO of Energiya Global Capital and can be followed @KaptainSunshine
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
Well written  :cry:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jim Nabors
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
Gomer Pyle USMC was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid.  He was a character player in his TV shows but he had real dramatic talent too in one movie I saw him in but it eludes me now.

One of the hardest belly laughs I ever had was watching that the episode where in a wrecking ball crashed and demolish Sargeant Carter's car while it was under Gomer's care:

A lifetime later I still remember that:

https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/jim-nabors-dies-fans-friends/2017/11/30/id/829139/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Heroes pass away
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 06:14:50 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/u-s-helicopter-crashes-western-iraq-rescue-underway-n857156

RIP to Katherine's cousin who passed away yesterday .  He was 32 yo, just got engaged
and was a Georgetown law school graduate who followed his older brother into the Air Force and became a pilot like his brother .

He will get into heaven immediately   :cry:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes pass away
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:28 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/u-s-helicopter-crashes-western-iraq-rescue-underway-n857156

RIP to Katherine's cousin who passed away yesterday .  He was 32 yo, just got engaged
and was a Georgetown law school graduate who followed his older brother into the Air Force and became a pilot like his brother .

He died in this crash?!   :-(   Yes, I think heaven has a fast entry program for heroes.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
yes .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
The wood is consumed, but the fire burns on.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes pass away
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »

Very sorry for this loss.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
Not wild about most of the Marvel movies-- even Spidermans were turned into a chick flicks, but as a boy and high schooler I loved Spiderman and as a young man and Dog Brother I loved the Conan comics-- Indeed I have about 2/3 of every one ever released.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mel Stottlemyre; mid 60s to early 70s was my boyhood years
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
When the Yankees couldn't buy a ticket out of the Bronx to get home.

Mel was one of the few bright lights during that time.  Al Downing had a good year or two.  Mantle was on his way out. I got to see him strike out and hit a weak grounder to short.
Waiting forever for Booby  Murcer to bust out .  Hit .330+ one yr and Phil Rizzuto thought he was the next coming of Mantle  .
The original great Bloomberg from NY was one of the few semi stars -  when he batted against lefties only I think.  The Boomer !

Felipe Alou, Sandy Alomar,  White in left.  I remember Joe Pepitone swinging for the fences and whiffing - but it was still the biggest swing I ever saw and remember over 50 yrs later.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mel-stottlemyre-pitcher-legendary-yankees-mets-pitching-coach-dies-77-185543693.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ram Das
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2019, 05:22:56 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kirk Douglas
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »
don't know him personally
but I really believe he is one of the greatest movies actors to have ever lived

He shines in 'the Juggler'
    and so many others

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »
Spartacus!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
James West
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Conrad

maybe not the good guy he was in TV shows

with DIU, fist fights , calling butcher Tony Spilotro his best friend, watching him in some celebrity sports competition in the 70s make a total fool of himself

but

I loved the Wild Wild West - my favorite show - with Dr Loveless etc.
I used to look forward to watching him kick ass every Friday night as a kid.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kirk Douglas last words
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
according to Mike:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/02/08/actor-michael-douglas-former-mayor-gary-indiana-stump-bloomberg/4701357002/

MY question is get what done?

turn the country into a nanny redistribution state  and sell out to globalization and open borders?

what exactly is he going to get done?

another for Republicans or conservatives -  though he is safe with 60 bill

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Rest in Peace McCoy Tyner
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
When I was 15-16 I would sneak out of the house and take the Lexington Ave subway down to Greenwich Village and walk over into the bowls of the Lower East Side to a tiny jazz club called Slug's (or was it Slugo's?  Trumpeter Lee Morgan was shot there by a jealous woman if that helps your search) whenever McCoy was playing, often with Elvin Jones on drums and one time Jimmy Garrison too.

Very, very sad.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
I remember McCoy Tyner
I think I even had an album of his

a friend of mine was into music of his

and Coryell guitar, Clarke bass, J. McLaughlin guitar
and others that elude me at the moment going back to the 70s and into early 80s

probably my favorite guitarist (blues I guess more than jazz) was Roy Buchanan who was never  very popular and came to a sad end

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: John Lewis's America
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2020, 06:01:20 AM »
John Lewis’s America
The arc of his life shows the racial progress the country has made.
By The WSJ Editorial Board
July 19, 2020 5:02 pm ET

Six leaders of the nation's largest black civil rights organizations pose at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, July 2, 1963. From left, are: John Lewis, chairman Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee; Whitney Young, national director, Urban League; A. Philip Randolph, president of the Negro American Labor Council; Martin Luther King Jr., president Southern Christian Leadership Conference; James Farmer, Congress of Racial Equality director; and Roy Wilkins, executive secretary, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The tributes are rolling in far and wide for John Lewis, the civil-rights leader and Democratic Congressman who died Friday at age 80. His life is worth celebrating for its own sake, but it’s all the more valuable for what it says about the progress of his country.

Lewis was one of 10 children of a sharecropper in Alabama when state power enforced white supremacy in the American South. He dreamed of being a preacher, but he had a political awakening over civil rights while attending American Baptist Theological Seminary in Nashville. He led the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, and in the early 1960s became the most prominent young leader of the civil-rights movement that broke Jim Crow.

White political supremacy at the time was enforced by state and local governments. Nonviolent protests built moral authority and widespread political support for the movement that triumphed in the mid-1960s with the help of federal law and enforcement authority. The fight took too long and required much sacrifice, including the cracked skull endured by Lewis as he marched across the Pettus Bridge in Selma in 1965. But legal segregation and black political exclusion were defeated with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The arc of Lewis’s life and career shows how much the South and America have changed. Born into a world of segregated schools and lunch counters, Lewis became a political activist and in 1986 won election to Congress from Georgia. He served there until his death, rising to the heights of power as so many black Americans have. Forty-five years after the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, where Lewis spoke, America elected a black President.

We had differences with Lewis on policy, not least his opposition to the 1996 welfare reform when he predicted a catastrophe for the poor. The reform, passed by a GOP Congress and signed by President Bill Clinton, is the most successful bipartisan reform of the last 30 years.

But these differences are trivial compared to the significance of Lewis’s life and contribution to America. He famously forgave George Wallace, Alabama’s segregationist Governor in the 1960s, in an example of reconciliation all of us should emulate. He never gave up his belief in nonviolence, despite the violence used against him. He never lost faith in the capacity of American democracy, despite its flaws, to strive for a more perfect union.

These days much of the left dismisses the racial progress America has made. They would rewrite history to say America was founded to maintain slavery and continues to enforce white supremacy. This ignores the central principle of the Declaration of Independence—“all men are created equal”—that inspired the slavery abolitionists and the post-Civil War amendments to the Constitution.

The civil-rights movement that John Lewis helped to lead vindicated those principles, and his rightly celebrated life is a refutation of those who would now consign America to a future of continuing racial rancor and division.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Herman Cain
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain

would a mask have made the difference
of course no one can say
but bottom line
wear the freaking masks and you too Trump

some of this is his fault.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
The Tulsa rally was a mistake IMHO.

I liked Herman Cain and am sad at his apparently unnecessary passing.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Herman Cain
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »
My understanding was that he was given 3 months to live 8 months ago, terminal cancer.

Any evidence masks work to stop the spread of viruses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain

would a mask have made the difference
of course no one can say
but bottom line
wear the freaking masks and you too Trump

some of this is his fault.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »
".My understanding was that he was given 3 months to live 8 months ago, terminal cancer.

Any evidence masks work to stop the spread of viruses?"

I. did not hear that tho I recently read he had advanced colon cancer in ~ 2006 which if true he lived a longer time then I ever heard of with stage 4 colon cancer.

--------

We have used masks forever to stop spread of respiratory virus spread
not new
my opinion is when infectious disease experts all come out and say - don't bother with masks (and now saint fauci - adding goggles)
  it would be foolish to not wear them and recommend them.  Trump was just being a hard ass.

if for no other reason he would have been smarter to simply say. we need to get the economy moving again but we need to do in safest manner possible - wear masks and keep distance - would that not have been politically far wiser than doing the opposite  berating these potentially life saving measures ?  As for me he looked like a dope for preaching against it, never setting an example by wearing a mask, and some governors going a long with this strategy and now seeing what we are seeing in those areas? 

somehow this virus is spreading from person to person - no coincidence we see beaches full of people and the numbers going up.
until we better understand how this happens ( one person getting and spreading to family members , gastrointestinal spread?) just don't be reckless and carefree about it  -  isn't that what we all expect from a President?

he, and I, and other  supporters of him are all paying the price now in his now reduced prospects
and for the course of this country .

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands/dutch-government-will-not-advise-public-to-wear-masks-minister-idUSKCN24U2UJ

".My understanding was that he was given 3 months to live 8 months ago, terminal cancer.

Any evidence masks work to stop the spread of viruses?"

I. did not hear that tho I recently read he had advanced colon cancer in ~ 2006 which if true he lived a longer time then I ever heard of with stage 4 colon cancer.

--------

We have used masks forever to stop spread of respiratory virus spread
not new
my opinion is when infectious disease experts all come out and say - don't bother with masks (and now saint fauci - adding goggles)
  it would be foolish to not wear them and recommend them.  Trump was just being a hard ass.

if for no other reason he would have been smarter to simply say. we need to get the economy moving again but we need to do in safest manner possible - wear masks and keep distance - would that not have been politically far wiser than doing the opposite  berating these potentially life saving measures ?  As for me he looked like a dope for preaching against it, never setting an example by wearing a mask, and some governors going a long with this strategy and now seeing what we are seeing in those areas? 

somehow this virus is spreading from person to person - no coincidence we see beaches full of people and the numbers going up.
until we better understand how this happens ( one person getting and spreading to family members , gastrointestinal spread?) just don't be reckless and carefree about it  -  isn't that what we all expect from a President?

he, and I, and other  supporters of him are all paying the price now in his now reduced prospects
and for the course of this country .

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tom Seaver
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Seaver

I was a Yankee fan but still remember this of course being from NYC metropolitan area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskqXjLwGTA

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
RBG
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
A great human being

just too bad she was on the wrong side of politics

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-supreme-court-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-dies-from-cancer-complications

so what now?  can McConnell pull if off?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Walter Williams
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
https://bongino.com/economics-legend-walter-e-williams-dies-at-84/

So sad.  Great, great, great man.
--------------
Walter Williams, R.I.P.
By VERONIQUE DE RUGY
December 2, 2020 11:01 AM
National Review
The great economist and freedom fighter Walter Williams has died. This is an incredibly sad news. Walter was a great communicator of ideas and a prolific, provocative and uncompromising writer. He was the John M. Olin distinguished professor of economics at George Mason University. His voice, his happy-warrior demeanor, his cosmopolitan views, his endless fight on behalf of those with no political voices, and his generosity to all of us at Mason will be missed.

David Henderson writes about the news here.

Economic Policy Journal has this tribute. It includes this tidbit:

He was the author of over 150 publications which have appeared in scholarly journals such as Economic Inquiry, American Economic Review, Georgia Law Review, Journal of Labor Economics, Social Science Quarterly, and Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy and popular publications such as Newsweek, Ideas on Liberty, National Review, Reader’s Digest, Cato Journal, and Policy Review. He authored ten books: America: A Minority Viewpoint, The State Against Blacks, which was later made into the PBS documentary “Good Intentions,” All It Takes Is Guts, South Africa’s War Against Capitalism, which was later revised for South African publication, Do the Right Thing: The People’s Economist Speaks,  More Liberty Means Less Government, Liberty vs. the Tyranny of Socialism, Up From The Projects: An Autobiography, Race and Economics: How Much Can Be Blamed On Discrimination? and American Contempt for Liberty.

If possible, I will update this post with more tributes to Walter. Until then, here is one of Russ Roberts’ EconTalk podcasts with Walter Williams.

R.I.P., Walter.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:33:38 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Chuck Yeager
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »

There aren’t many giants in American life, and on Monday we lost another. Chuck Yeager, the first man to travel faster than the speed of sound, died in his home at the age of 97.

In 1947, Yeager, a young Air Force pilot from the little town of Hamlin, W.Va., was chosen to fly a rocket-propelled plane, the Bell XS-1, on a supersonic flight over the Mojave Desert. On October 14 he flew the plane, which he named Glamorous Glennis after his wife, at a speed of Mach 1.06—700 miles per hour. The night before he had broken two ribs by falling off a horse, and he could barely reach up to seal the hatch, but only his wife and a close friend knew about it.

In a 1985 memoir, Yeager famously expressed his sense of disappointment at crossing the threshold of sound and creating the world’s first sonic boom. “And that was it,” he wrote. “After all the anticipation to achieve this moment, it really was a let-down.”

But by then he had defied death more often than anybody knew. As a pilot in World War II, Yeager shot down at least 13 enemy fighters. He once downed five German aircraft in a single day. Yeager was shot down himself over France, but made it across the Pyrenees and into Spain, sometimes disguised as a peasant and carrying a wounded companion. When the war ended, Captain Yeager was 22.

He led missions in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, too, and spent a well-earned retirement giving speeches and conducting himself with decency and honor. Chuck Yeager was an American of an older, rarer kind: ready to take a risk for his country, courageous beyond measure, utterly without pretense.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Yeager
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
Yeager
yes an unbelievable and courageous career for this historic patriot and hero
   he must have had steel guts

read he flew over 200 different aircraft

one thing I was surprised to learn he did NOT fly the X 15
still the fastest aircraft produced at a (mere) 6.7 times speed of sound:

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/x-15_2006_2.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
Nicely written.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jackie Mason passes and goes to Heavens Catskills Mountains
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2021, 06:59:11 AM »
https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/jackie-mason-dead-at-93/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jackie-mason-dies/2021/07/24/62717c86-ecea-11eb-97a0-a09d10181e36_story.html

A very prominent Jewish Conservative and Patriot!  Uncommon indeed.

Previously a Democrat (like most self righteous Jews ) he, like /Ronald Reagan , became a Republican and supported DJT.

He used the S word a few times
and of course was the victim of the political correct crowd
and I am certain many fellow "better than thou" liberal Jews:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Mason

RIP Mr. Mason

You bring back memories of good old Jewish humor prior to the age of "woke".

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2021, 08:13:06 AM »
of course

woke gay controlled politically correct Variety:

headlines on Jackie "controversial and cranky"
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jackie-mason-one-last-borscht-004940605.html

How do you say "African American" in Yiddish?

or binary?  or "bi"  etc.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Jackie Mason passes and goes to Heavens Catskills Mountains
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmEilgccUk

As a kid, this was my introduction to Jackie Mason (Although not actually his voice).

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/jackie-mason-dead-at-93/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jackie-mason-dies/2021/07/24/62717c86-ecea-11eb-97a0-a09d10181e36_story.html

A very prominent Jewish Conservative and Patriot!  Uncommon indeed.

Previously a Democrat (like most self righteous Jews ) he, like /Ronald Reagan , became a Republican and supported DJT.

He used the S word a few times
and of course was the victim of the political correct crowd
and I am certain many fellow "better than thou" liberal Jews:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Mason

RIP Mr. Mason

You bring back memories of good old Jewish humor prior to the age of "woke".

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Rest in Peace: Charlie Watts gets on his cloud
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2021, 02:44:03 PM »
Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at Age 80
Watts is widely considered one of the most important drummers in the history of rock ’n’ roll

Charlie Watts, shown playing drums with the Rolling Stones in Denver in 2019, was the reliable backbone for the group.
PHOTO: JOE AMON/MEDIANEWS GROUP/THE DENVER POST/GETTY IMAGES
By Talal Ansari and Neil Shah
Updated Aug. 24, 2021 5:16 pm ET

Charlie Watts, the influential longtime drummer for the Rolling Stones, has died. He was 80 years old.

Mr. Watts died at a London hospital on Tuesday surrounded by his family, his spokesperson said in a statement.

“Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of The Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation,” the statement said.

Earlier this month, the band said Mr. Watts was unlikely to perform with his bandmates when they resumed their “No Filter” tour because he was recovering from an undisclosed medical issue.

Steve Jordan, a veteran drummer and music producer who has worked closely with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, was tapped to fill in.

“For once my timing has been a little off,” Mr. Watts said in a statement earlier this month. “I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while.”

Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones in 2016.
PHOTO: EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Since joining the Stones in 1963, a year after the band was formed, Mr. Watts hadn’t missed a show, according to Rolling Stone magazine. He underwent treatment for throat cancer in 2004.

Mr. Watts is widely considered one of the most important drummers in the history of rock ’n’ roll.

“I don’t know a single drummer that hasn’t studied what Charlie does, and I haven’t heard of a single one who has been able to pull it off,” said Daniel J. Levitin, a professor emeritus of psychology and behavioral neuroscience at McGill University and author of “This Is Your Brain on Music.”

Deeply influenced by jazz, his inimitable drumming style helped define the sound of the Rolling Stones by giving it a sense of swing. On songs such as “Tumbling Dice” from the Rolling Stones’ 1972 masterpiece “Exile on Main St.,” for example, he played slightly behind the beat, giving the song a slinky, sexy groove as memorable as its lyrics and guitar riffs.

While most Stones songs are credited to singer Mick Jagger and Mr. Richards, Mr. Watts indirectly played a role in the band’s songwriting, too, by acting as a foil for Mr. Richards as he jammed and tinkered with anchoring riffs.

“To me what was amazing about the Stones was Charlie’s drumming—which always sounded to me like a train that was about to go off the rails but it never does,” said Mr. Levitin. “That makes it really exciting and scrappy. It avoided the kind of perfection sheen that characterized a lot of bands.”

Compared with his rowdier bandmates, who have been known for their drug-taking and jet-setting, Mr. Watts had the image of the mature Stone, providing a reliable backbone for the group, as symbolized by his sartorial flair—though he too struggled with substance-abuse issues in the 1980s.

Charles Robert Watts was born June 2, 1941, in London, and grew up in the northwest neighborhood of Wembley, where he would later perform sold-out stadium concerts. By the time he was 16, Mr. Watts was drumming in jazz groups and frequented London clubs, according to a biography provided by his spokesman.

He initially turned down an invitation to join the Rolling Stones, continuing to work as a graphic designer at an advertising agency. But six months later, in January 1963, Mr. Watts made his first appearance with the band at the Flamingo Club in London’s Soho. He finally gave up his graphic design job after the band was signed to Decca Records, and would remain behind his drum kit for more than 50 years.

Colleagues across the music industry paid tribute Tuesday to Mr. Watts on social media.

“Charlie Watts was the ultimate drummer,” Elton John posted on Twitter. “The most stylish of men, and such brilliant company.”

Paul McCartney, in a video posted online, called Mr. Watts steady as a rock. “Love you Charlie. I’ve always loved you,” he said.

Beatles drummer Ringo Starr posted a photo of the two legendary drummers together, writing, “#God bless Charlie Watts we’re going to miss you man.”

Write to Talal Ansari at talal.ansari@wsj.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rest in Peace: Charlie Watts gets on his cloud
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2021, 04:21:33 PM »
Keith Richards has become even more powerful.

“There can be only one!”

Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at Age 80
Watts is widely considered one of the most important drummers in the history of rock ’n’ roll

Charlie Watts, shown playing drums with the Rolling Stones in Denver in 2019, was the reliable backbone for the group.
PHOTO: JOE AMON/MEDIANEWS GROUP/THE DENVER POST/GETTY IMAGES
By Talal Ansari and Neil Shah
Updated Aug. 24, 2021 5:16 pm ET

Charlie Watts, the influential longtime drummer for the Rolling Stones, has died. He was 80 years old.

Mr. Watts died at a London hospital on Tuesday surrounded by his family, his spokesperson said in a statement.

“Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of The Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation,” the statement said.

Earlier this month, the band said Mr. Watts was unlikely to perform with his bandmates when they resumed their “No Filter” tour because he was recovering from an undisclosed medical issue.

Steve Jordan, a veteran drummer and music producer who has worked closely with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, was tapped to fill in.

“For once my timing has been a little off,” Mr. Watts said in a statement earlier this month. “I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while.”

Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones in 2016.
PHOTO: EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Since joining the Stones in 1963, a year after the band was formed, Mr. Watts hadn’t missed a show, according to Rolling Stone magazine. He underwent treatment for throat cancer in 2004.

Mr. Watts is widely considered one of the most important drummers in the history of rock ’n’ roll.

“I don’t know a single drummer that hasn’t studied what Charlie does, and I haven’t heard of a single one who has been able to pull it off,” said Daniel J. Levitin, a professor emeritus of psychology and behavioral neuroscience at McGill University and author of “This Is Your Brain on Music.”

Deeply influenced by jazz, his inimitable drumming style helped define the sound of the Rolling Stones by giving it a sense of swing. On songs such as “Tumbling Dice” from the Rolling Stones’ 1972 masterpiece “Exile on Main St.,” for example, he played slightly behind the beat, giving the song a slinky, sexy groove as memorable as its lyrics and guitar riffs.

While most Stones songs are credited to singer Mick Jagger and Mr. Richards, Mr. Watts indirectly played a role in the band’s songwriting, too, by acting as a foil for Mr. Richards as he jammed and tinkered with anchoring riffs.

“To me what was amazing about the Stones was Charlie’s drumming—which always sounded to me like a train that was about to go off the rails but it never does,” said Mr. Levitin. “That makes it really exciting and scrappy. It avoided the kind of perfection sheen that characterized a lot of bands.”

Compared with his rowdier bandmates, who have been known for their drug-taking and jet-setting, Mr. Watts had the image of the mature Stone, providing a reliable backbone for the group, as symbolized by his sartorial flair—though he too struggled with substance-abuse issues in the 1980s.

Charles Robert Watts was born June 2, 1941, in London, and grew up in the northwest neighborhood of Wembley, where he would later perform sold-out stadium concerts. By the time he was 16, Mr. Watts was drumming in jazz groups and frequented London clubs, according to a biography provided by his spokesman.

He initially turned down an invitation to join the Rolling Stones, continuing to work as a graphic designer at an advertising agency. But six months later, in January 1963, Mr. Watts made his first appearance with the band at the Flamingo Club in London’s Soho. He finally gave up his graphic design job after the band was signed to Decca Records, and would remain behind his drum kit for more than 50 years.

Colleagues across the music industry paid tribute Tuesday to Mr. Watts on social media.

“Charlie Watts was the ultimate drummer,” Elton John posted on Twitter. “The most stylish of men, and such brilliant company.”

Paul McCartney, in a video posted online, called Mr. Watts steady as a rock. “Love you Charlie. I’ve always loved you,” he said.

Beatles drummer Ringo Starr posted a photo of the two legendary drummers together, writing, “#God bless Charlie Watts we’re going to miss you man.”

Write to Talal Ansari at talal.ansari@wsj.com

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Bob Dole Cspan 2007
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Harry Reid, dead
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2021, 01:49:30 PM »
Don't speak ill of the dead - has become another one of those examples of two sets of rules and this one applies only to us.  It should be waived when someone this low starts receiving big accolades.

1.  Reid's signature accomplishment was killing what was to be George W Bush's signature accomplishment, the partial and voluntary privatization of your own social security funds.

This was too risky in 2005 with the Dow at 10,000.  Looks clairvoyant today with the Dow at 36,000.  We would have had millions more millionaires by now and people would have had a different relationship with their government, but NO, Harry Reid stopped it.

2. In 2012, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid claimed he had seen Mitt Romney's tax returns for the last ten years and Romney had paid no taxes.  It was one of the biggest lies in political history.  instead of apologizing, the dirtball boasted, 'Well he didn't win, did he?'

3. This 'public servant' seemed to do quite well financially.  Hmmm.

Crooked, corrupt, lacking any sense of moral character, not even a tangential relationship with the truth, and left the dirty world of divisive politics worse than he found it.  I really can't follow that with rest in peace.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Reid, dead
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
Utterly corrupt scumbag. The Las Vegas airport now bears his name.
 :roll:

Don't speak ill of the dead - has become another one of those examples of two sets of rules and this one applies only to us.  It should be waived when someone this low starts receiving big accolades.

1.  Reid's signature accomplishment was killing what was to be George W Bush's signature accomplishment, the partial and voluntary privatization of your own social security funds.

This was too risky in 2005 with the Dow at 10,000.  Looks clairvoyant today with the Dow at 36,000.  We would have had millions more millionaires by now and people would have had a different relationship with their government, but NO, Harry Reid stopped it.

2. In 2012, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid claimed he had seen Mitt Romney's tax returns for the last ten years and Romney had paid no taxes.  It was one of the biggest lies in political history.  instead of apologizing, the dirtball boasted, 'Well he didn't win, did he?'

3. This 'public servant' seemed to do quite well financially.  Hmmm.

Crooked, corrupt, lacking any sense of moral character, not even a tangential relationship with the truth, and left the dirty world of divisive politics worse than he found it.  I really can't follow that with rest in peace.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Reid, dead
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
I think I will avoid that airport.