Author Topic: The Goolag, Facebook, Youtube, Amazon, Twitter, Gov censorship via Tech Octopus  (Read 134810 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Libs of TikTok soars
« Reply #900 on: April 29, 2022, 11:04:31 AM »
SOCIAL MEDIA

‘Libs of TikTok’ account’s popularity soars after expose

Disclosure of anonymous creator’s identity spurs media ethics debate

BY VALERIE RICHARDSON THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A popular conservative Twitter account has gained even more influence since being targeted in a Washington Post tell-all.

Libs of TikTok became a cause celebre after Post reporter Taylor Lorenz disclosed the name, employer and religion of the anonymous creator in an April 19 expose, warning readers that the account was “secretly fueling the right’s outrage machine” and become “a powerful force on the Internet.”

While Ms. Lorenz has since been excoriated on the right and accused of doxing the account’s owner, the result was the kind of publicity money can’t buy.

Libs of TikTok hit 1 million followers on Tuesday, a one-week increase of more than 50%. The creator also launched a Substack newsletter that now boasts thousands of followers.

The woman behind Libs of TikTok showed her appreciation with a little tongue-in-cheek trolling this week.

“So grateful to @TaylorLorenz and WaPo for helping me achieve this huge milestone! Is there an address I can send a thank you card?” she tweeted.

The surge in followers came at a cost. After the Post article appeared last week, Libs of Tik-Tok’s creator said she went into hiding, telling Fox News’ Tucker Carlson in an audio interview that “I had to make some travel plans really fast.”

“I’m now in a place where I don’t think anyone would find me, not any of the locations that Taylor Lorenz leaked or that anyone can find,” she said in the segment. “It’s been a little bit tough but I’m not going to let this get me down.”

Mr. Carlson accused the Post of “an intimidation campaign designed to shut down a highly effective Twitter feed.”

The episode triggered a battle between Team Libs and Team Lorenz as the upstart conservative media takes on the liberal legacy establishment over journalism ethics, internet privacy and double standards.

Two Libs of TikTok supporters, podcaster Tim Pool and Daily Wire CEO Jeremy Boreing, fueled the uproar Tuesday by sponsoring a digital billboard in New York City’s Times Square criticizing Ms. Lorenz.

“Hey, Wapo, democracy dies in darkness. That’s why we’re shining a light on you. Taylor Lorenz Doxxed @LibsofTikTok,” the billboard said.

Ms. Lorenz swung back by charging her critics with endangering her friends and family.

“My family and friends are not happy. They have been subject to a non stop stream of hateful attacks, doxxing, and violent attacks driven by this baseless campaign,” she tweeted.

Conservatives accused her of hypocrisy, given her Libs of TikTok expose and that just last month, Ms. Lorenz complained in an emotional interview on MSNBC about online harassment.

In Ms. Lorenz’s corner was Kara Alaimo, Hofstra University associate professor, who said in an NBC News op-ed that the Post article engaged in “accountability” not “doxing.”

The Post article and subsequent reports in other media outlets have identified Libs of Tik-Tok’s creator as Chaya Raichik, which she has not disputed.

“There’s no justifiable reason to protect the identity of someone like Raichik on social media so she can spread this kind of intolerance with impunity,” said Ms. Alaimo in the April 21 op-ed.

Libs of TikTok made its name by reposting videos, typically without her commentary, of lefttilting individuals espousing their views, often on the TikTok app, and quickly became a favorite on the right while drawing the ire of the left.

The leftist group Media Matters for America took up the anti-Libs mantle earlier this month, blasting the account in six press releases from April 1-18, starting with “Fox News is using the ‘Libs of TikTok’ Twitter account like a wire service for anti-LGBTQ attacks.”

Ms. Lorenz called the account a “political force,” adding that “for all we knew, this could have been a foreign actor, right, or someone — we just didn’t know.”

“This is an influential media force. The idea this woman is not newsworthy is quite nonsense, you know what I mean?” Ms. Lorenz said Sunday on CNN’s “Reliable Sources.”

“I cover influencers for a living and I’m telling you, this woman is more influential than a lot of people that I cover,” she said.

She also denied doxing her, saying that “doxing means revealing highly, highly personal, nonpublic information with the goal of harassment or sort of destroying someone’s life.

“We absolutely did not reveal any personal information about this woman at all, remotely,” said Ms. Lorenz. “I know that sometimes reporting practices can seem foreign to people that aren’t familiar with journalism, but this was very by-the-book and very benign.”

Cameron Barr, Post senior managing editor, defended the story by saying that Libs of Tik-Tok “has had significant impact on public discourse and her identity had become public knowledge on social media. We did not publish or link to any details about her personal life.”

Critics are calling the Post claim deceptive.

They point out that the original Post story included a link to the woman’s Realtor profile, which included her real-estate license number, her employer, and the employer’s address. The link was later removed without explanation.

“LIES. They included a link with personal information which they later removed because they knew what they were doing was abhorrent,” tweeted Libs of TikTok.

After the billboard went up, Ms. Lorenz called it “idiotic,” but added that “these campaigns have a much darker and more violent side.”

“I’m grateful to be at a newsroom that recognizes these bad faith, politically motivated attacks and has a strong security team,” she said.

She also accused the billboard sponsors of trying to “discredit my reporting on Libs of TikTok,” which Mr. Pool disputed, saying he was “not discrediting your reporting.”

“I’m calling you out for lying when you and WaPo denied linking to private details/You published Libs’ private address/just own it,” he tweeted.

The Post article also said the woman on a previous socialmedia account “claimed to be proudly Orthodox Jewish.”

That detail drew pushback from Jewish News Syndicate editor- in-chief Jonathan Tobin, who said highlighting the woman’s faith “carries with it a touch of anti-Semitic incitement.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Libs of TikTok soars
« Reply #901 on: April 29, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »
https://ace.mu.nu/archives/398901.php

Every Pedo-groomer has a name and an address.

SOCIAL MEDIA

‘Libs of TikTok’ account’s popularity soars after expose

Disclosure of anonymous creator’s identity spurs media ethics debate

BY VALERIE RICHARDSON THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A popular conservative Twitter account has gained even more influence since being targeted in a Washington Post tell-all.

Libs of TikTok became a cause celebre after Post reporter Taylor Lorenz disclosed the name, employer and religion of the anonymous creator in an April 19 expose, warning readers that the account was “secretly fueling the right’s outrage machine” and become “a powerful force on the Internet.”

While Ms. Lorenz has since been excoriated on the right and accused of doxing the account’s owner, the result was the kind of publicity money can’t buy.

Libs of TikTok hit 1 million followers on Tuesday, a one-week increase of more than 50%. The creator also launched a Substack newsletter that now boasts thousands of followers.

The woman behind Libs of TikTok showed her appreciation with a little tongue-in-cheek trolling this week.

“So grateful to @TaylorLorenz and WaPo for helping me achieve this huge milestone! Is there an address I can send a thank you card?” she tweeted.

The surge in followers came at a cost. After the Post article appeared last week, Libs of Tik-Tok’s creator said she went into hiding, telling Fox News’ Tucker Carlson in an audio interview that “I had to make some travel plans really fast.”

“I’m now in a place where I don’t think anyone would find me, not any of the locations that Taylor Lorenz leaked or that anyone can find,” she said in the segment. “It’s been a little bit tough but I’m not going to let this get me down.”

Mr. Carlson accused the Post of “an intimidation campaign designed to shut down a highly effective Twitter feed.”

The episode triggered a battle between Team Libs and Team Lorenz as the upstart conservative media takes on the liberal legacy establishment over journalism ethics, internet privacy and double standards.

Two Libs of TikTok supporters, podcaster Tim Pool and Daily Wire CEO Jeremy Boreing, fueled the uproar Tuesday by sponsoring a digital billboard in New York City’s Times Square criticizing Ms. Lorenz.

“Hey, Wapo, democracy dies in darkness. That’s why we’re shining a light on you. Taylor Lorenz Doxxed @LibsofTikTok,” the billboard said.

Ms. Lorenz swung back by charging her critics with endangering her friends and family.

“My family and friends are not happy. They have been subject to a non stop stream of hateful attacks, doxxing, and violent attacks driven by this baseless campaign,” she tweeted.

Conservatives accused her of hypocrisy, given her Libs of TikTok expose and that just last month, Ms. Lorenz complained in an emotional interview on MSNBC about online harassment.

In Ms. Lorenz’s corner was Kara Alaimo, Hofstra University associate professor, who said in an NBC News op-ed that the Post article engaged in “accountability” not “doxing.”

The Post article and subsequent reports in other media outlets have identified Libs of Tik-Tok’s creator as Chaya Raichik, which she has not disputed.

“There’s no justifiable reason to protect the identity of someone like Raichik on social media so she can spread this kind of intolerance with impunity,” said Ms. Alaimo in the April 21 op-ed.

Libs of TikTok made its name by reposting videos, typically without her commentary, of lefttilting individuals espousing their views, often on the TikTok app, and quickly became a favorite on the right while drawing the ire of the left.

The leftist group Media Matters for America took up the anti-Libs mantle earlier this month, blasting the account in six press releases from April 1-18, starting with “Fox News is using the ‘Libs of TikTok’ Twitter account like a wire service for anti-LGBTQ attacks.”

Ms. Lorenz called the account a “political force,” adding that “for all we knew, this could have been a foreign actor, right, or someone — we just didn’t know.”

“This is an influential media force. The idea this woman is not newsworthy is quite nonsense, you know what I mean?” Ms. Lorenz said Sunday on CNN’s “Reliable Sources.”

“I cover influencers for a living and I’m telling you, this woman is more influential than a lot of people that I cover,” she said.

She also denied doxing her, saying that “doxing means revealing highly, highly personal, nonpublic information with the goal of harassment or sort of destroying someone’s life.

“We absolutely did not reveal any personal information about this woman at all, remotely,” said Ms. Lorenz. “I know that sometimes reporting practices can seem foreign to people that aren’t familiar with journalism, but this was very by-the-book and very benign.”

Cameron Barr, Post senior managing editor, defended the story by saying that Libs of Tik-Tok “has had significant impact on public discourse and her identity had become public knowledge on social media. We did not publish or link to any details about her personal life.”

Critics are calling the Post claim deceptive.

They point out that the original Post story included a link to the woman’s Realtor profile, which included her real-estate license number, her employer, and the employer’s address. The link was later removed without explanation.

“LIES. They included a link with personal information which they later removed because they knew what they were doing was abhorrent,” tweeted Libs of TikTok.

After the billboard went up, Ms. Lorenz called it “idiotic,” but added that “these campaigns have a much darker and more violent side.”

“I’m grateful to be at a newsroom that recognizes these bad faith, politically motivated attacks and has a strong security team,” she said.

She also accused the billboard sponsors of trying to “discredit my reporting on Libs of TikTok,” which Mr. Pool disputed, saying he was “not discrediting your reporting.”

“I’m calling you out for lying when you and WaPo denied linking to private details/You published Libs’ private address/just own it,” he tweeted.

The Post article also said the woman on a previous socialmedia account “claimed to be proudly Orthodox Jewish.”

That detail drew pushback from Jewish News Syndicate editor- in-chief Jonathan Tobin, who said highlighting the woman’s faith “carries with it a touch of anti-Semitic incitement.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ali Veshi and guests at MSDNC this morning
« Reply #902 on: April 30, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »
they were all agreeing

twitter is not a "threat to democracy"

need to control "hate speech" and "conspiracy theories"

so the answer for them of course is DNC - lawyer run around Twitter executive control by transferring control to the government control
(like marxist EU countries).

this way DNC can still control albeit less directly
via 9% of revenue fines of what ever THEY deem is hate speech conspiracy theories or of course a "threat to democracy"  .

and of course I am watching them say FREE SPEECH IS A THREAT TO DEMOCRACY!

wow

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Goolag censors Iranian protestors
« Reply #904 on: May 20, 2022, 03:25:44 AM »
Social Media Giants Stifle Iranian Protesters
by Potkin Azarmehr
IPT News
May 19, 2022

https://www.investigativeproject.org/9174/social-media-giants-stifle-iranian-protesters

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Actions by the States vs. Big Tech
« Reply #905 on: May 26, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
States bypass stalled Congress, take legal action to limit Big Tech powers

BY RYAN LOVELACE THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Democratic and Republican attorneys general are targeting large tech companies in court, seeking to curb their power through the judicial system as an alternative to legislation that has stalled in Congress.

D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine is suing Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg over claims of consumer protection violations. He said he must hold big corporate CEOs accountable for their actions.

Mr. Racine said he has evidence to show that Mr. Zuckerberg was personally involved in the data leak that allowed political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica to target Facebook users during the 2016 presidential race.

“This lawsuit is not only warranted but necessary and sends a message that corporate leaders, including CEOs, will be held accountable for their actions,” Mr. Racine said in a statement Monday.

Mr. Racine’s lawsuit said Cambridge Analytica exfiltrated personal data on 70 million Facebook users in the U.S., including 340,000 people in the District, to influence the 2016 presidential election. Facebook, which rebranded as Meta, did not respond to a request for comment.

The D.C. attorney general has repeatedly struck out against Facebook.

Last year, a federal judge tossed an antitrust lawsuit brought by several dozen state attorneys general, including Mr. Racine.

Mr. Racine first sued Facebook in 2018 over accusations that the platform failed to protect people’s data and later sought to add Mr. Zuckerberg to the lawsuit. The Superior Court of the District of Columbia blocked Mr. Racine’s effort in a March hearing, according to The New York Times, and now Mr. Racine is pursuing Mr. Zuckerberg individually.

Texas, which participated in the failed

antitrust lawsuit, has taken aim at other platforms: Twitter and Google.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican facing a primary challenger in a runoff election Tuesday, has vigorously positioned himself as a fighter against Big Tech. His office said last week that he has filed five lawsuits against Google.

Mr. Paxton sought to investigate Twitter’s censorship practices after the platform banned former President Donald Trump, and he fended off a challenge to his investigation from Twitter this year. A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed Twitter’s lawsuit against Mr. Paxton, which accused him of retaliation for banning Mr. Trump.

More recently, Mr. Paxton has defended Texas’ new social media law in litigation before the Supreme Court. The law seeks to stop censorship by directing social media platforms with more than 50 million active users to not discriminate against Texans’ viewpoints.

Last week, Mr. Paxton urged the Supreme Court to allow enforcement of its law over the objections of tech industry trade groups. The Computer & Communications Industry Association and NetChoice asked the high court to reverse a federal appeals court’s lifting of a blockade of the law.

“Applicants — whose members, as relevant here, include Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter (the platforms) — assert a First Amendment right to refuse service to their customers based on the viewpoints those customers profess,” Mr. Paxton wrote. “This court has never recognized such a right, and it should not do so now to vacate a stay.”

The Supreme Court has not resolved the dispute between Texas and the tech groups.

State prosecutors’ efforts to fight the companies in the courts have won praise from the vocal critics of the tech giants.

Mike Davis, the founder of the conservative Internet Accountability Project, is cheering attorneys generals’ efforts to crack down.

“Holding Big Tech accountable is a priority for the American public, and we’re glad attorneys general around the country are responding to their constituents,” Mr. Davis said.

Although legislation aiming to restrict large tech companies’ operations has stalled in Congress, that may soon change. Antitrust legislation awaiting final consideration by the full Senate could receive a review this summer, Axios said.

Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer reportedly met with fellow Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Richard J. Durbin of Illinois last week to discuss putting up a revised version of antitrust legislation for a vote.

The liberal American Economic Liberties Project’s Matt Stoller called Monday for Mr. Schumer to put antitrust proposals forward for a vote. Mr. Stoller said in a Twitter message that Mr. Schumer needs to hold the vote and criticized the New York Democrat as a “consistent booster of monopoly power.”

ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTOGRAPHS

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine says he has evidence that Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg (right) was personally involved in a data leak that allowed a political consulting firm to target users of his Facebook social media platform during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Berenson
« Reply #911 on: August 29, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »
A year ago yesterday
The fight isn't over, it's just begun

Alex Berenson
Aug 29

SAVE

That hot August night 12 months ago, it felt like someone had duct-taped my mouth shut.

Yes, I’d feared Twitter might ban me permanently if I kept telling the truth about the Covid vaccines. How could I not? On July 30, 2021, Twitter had locked my account after I did nothing more than report the results of Pfizer’s own vaccine clinical trial.

That “strike” was my fourth. One more and I’d be gone for good.

--

But the actual reality of August 28 – the moment I could no longer communicate with the hundreds of thousands of people who followed me or the millions reading my tweets - came as a shock.

Anyone who says being publicly “canceled” isn’t painful hasn’t had it happen.

The act is not merely meant to silence. It is meant to shame; you are so dangerous we aren’t even going to allow you to speak. And it is meant to be permanent. It is a show trial that ends in a life sentence, no appeal possible.

It is meant to be painful.

(Guess again, little bird)

That “Thanks, Twitter” is a particularly nice touch!

(FIGHT CENSORSHIP)

Upgrade to paid

After that fourth strike, I tried to protect myself – highlighting the risk of the censorship I feared – even as I reported accurately.

I suppose some part of me hoped that as long as I stuck to the data and avoided conspiracy theories, Twitter would keep the promises it had made to me.

(Unicorns all the way down)

I was wrong.

In an instant, I lost what was by far my most powerful platform for journalism, one that offered free access to people around the world. Twitter gave me the chance to speak out in real time about the unprecedented medical experiment we’d conducted on a billion people, an experiment that continues to this day.

That megaphone, mine no more.

Which is why they did it, of course.

They.

I still don’t know who they really are, though I am on the path to finding out. At the time, I knew Twitter’s attitude towards me had changed dramatically six weeks before, after President Biden said social media companies were “killing people” by allowing questions about the Covid vaccines. And I suspected the Biden Administration and others had pressured Twitter privately, but back then I didn’t have proof.

Now I do. I know that in April 2021, three months before my deplatforming started, the administration summoned Twitter employees to the White House for a meeting in which my name featured prominently.

But in April 2021, Twitter didn’t think it could do anything about me. Twitter employees told each other that they had looked at my account and I was playing by its rules.

It wasn’t even clear Twitter wanted to do anything about me. Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s chief executive, was following me. And a Twitter executive had told me repeatedly that the company believed in free debate around Covid and the vaccines and that I was not violating its policies.

For a couple of months after that meeting Twitter continued to protect me - and its commitment to free speech.

But then, in July, the Biden administration raised the stakes. In under a week, the White House devoted most of a press conference to pressuring social media companies to ban vaccine skeptics; the President made his infamous “killing people” comment; and a Biden spokesperson said the administration might try to repeal the legal protection that prevents social media companies from being sued for posts they carry or their decisions to ban users.

Repealing Section 230 would cut to the heart of Twitter’s business model.

And the little bird could not tolerate the heat.

In just over a month I was gone.

The irony is that Twitter deplatformed me just as my skepticism about the vaccines was being proven right.

Maybe irony is the wrong word. Maybe the sequence makes perfect sense. A contrarian who’s wrong is merely a crank. A contrarian who’s right is dangerous. Especially if he has a megaphone.

And did I ever have a megaphone.

Well, now I’ve got it back, bigger than ever. The 345,000 Twitter followers I had last August are now over 400,000. The 100,000 Substack subscribers are now close to a quarter-million. (Most of you don’t pay, and that’s fine, but if you do - THANK YOU.)

I have two platforms now, and two missions (if not more) - to fight for free speech (and chase down the people who helped coerce Twitter to ban me last year); and to investigate the long-term impact of the mRNA shots.

That the vaccines are useless to stop coronavirus infection or transmission - my last tweet last year, the tweet that got me banned - is now beyond question. What we need to know now is what they’re doing to the billion-plus people who took them.

Neither fight will be easy. But I’m not fighting alone.

Keep spreading the word. Keep spreading the truth.

Onward.

You’re a free subscriber to Unreported Truths. For the full experience, become a paid subscriber.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Biden asks Congress to lift Section 230 protection
« Reply #914 on: September 16, 2022, 12:41:21 PM »
Ummm , , , isn't this something we said we were for? , , ,

https://www.theepochtimes.com/biden-asks-congress-to-end-social-media-immunity-denounces-white-supremacy-at-wh-summit-on-hate-fueled-violence_4734570.html?utm_source=News&utm_campaign=breaking-2022-09-16-2&utm_medium=email&est=xsZJiGNrHmqhRHKN1%2FdrmiONlCVo3d0tku4P3wqCVjdo4jPDXoWx8xIqxZZs7ayA6ZVC

“Republicans and Democrats both want to repeal Section 230, but they want to replace it in diametrically opposed ways,” said Mark Lemley, a Stanford Law School professor. “Democrats want more content moderation targeting hate speech and misinformation. Republicans want to apply the First Amendment to social media sites even if they are private actors.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/01/21/section-230-internet-social-media/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Circuit rejects challenge to TX social media common carrier law
« Reply #916 on: September 17, 2022, 04:48:10 AM »
https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/21/21-51178-CV1.pdf

From the decision:
"In urging such sweeping relief, the platforms offer a rather odd inversion of the First Amendment. That Amendment, of course, protects every person’s right to “the freedom of speech.” But the platforms argue that buried somewhere in the person’s enumerated right to free speech lies a corporation’s unenumerated right to muzzle speech. The implications of the (Internet's) platforms’ argument are staggering. On the platforms’ view, email providers, mobile phone companies, and banks could cancel the accounts of anyone who sends an email, makes a phone call, or spends money in support of a disfavored political party, candidate, or business."

"Today we reject the idea that corporations have a freewheeling First Amendment right to censor what people say. Because the district court held otherwise, we reverse its injunction and remand for further proceedings."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:51:13 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Good news for Free Speech in the Goolag!
« Reply #917 on: September 26, 2022, 02:43:09 AM »
GOOD NEWS!!!
================
Big Tech Has No Constitutional Right to Censor
That’s the upshot of recent court cases in Texas and Florida, testing state bills that curb such activity.
By Allysia Finley
WSJ
Sept. 25, 2022 3:58 pm ET

Social-media stocks have taken a beating this year, but it’s nothing compared with the smack-down their companies have recently received in court. “We reject the idea that corporations have a freewheeling First Amendment right to censor what people say,” the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declared in its Sept. 16 decision upholding Texas’s anticensorship law.

The legal fight over whether states can restrict such behavior could soon be headed to the Supreme Court, as Florida last week appealed an 11th Circuit ruling that struck down its anticensorship law.

Social-media companies are also asking the justices to provide desperately needed constitutional clarity. They argue, in short, that removing user content from their platforms is an exercise of editorial judgment and expression protected by the First Amendment. Ergo, states can’t tell them they can’t censor.

Not so fast, writes the Fifth Circuit’s Judge Andrew Oldham for a divided three-judge panel in an excoriating 90-page opinion. Texas’ law prohibits large social-media platforms from blocking speech based on viewpoint. So users couldn’t be deplatformed by Twitter for professing skepticism of vaccines or climate change. Nor could YouTube demonetize such videos.

The law, however, excludes speech that isn’t protected by the First Amendment, such as incitement, as well as speech that is covered by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act—i.e., speech considered to be “obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable.”

Users who believe they were illegally discriminated against could sue the companies. While they wouldn’t be eligible to receive damages, they could be reinstated if they prevail. Many users would nonetheless lose if a court determines their expression is “objectionable” under Section 230’s catchall. But social-media companies wouldn’t be the final arbiters of what is objectionable.

Judge Oldham stresses that Texas’ law seeks to regulates business conduct—not speech—under the “common-carrier doctrine,” which holds that government can impose nondiscrimination obligations on businesses “affected with the public interest.” During the 19th century, states imposed common-carrier obligations on telegraph companies. “Western Union, the largest telegraph company, sometimes refused to carry messages from journalists that competed with its ally, the Associated Press—or charged them exorbitant rates,” Judge Oldham notes.

States, and later Congress, intervened to prohibit telegraph companies from discriminating against dispatches. The Supreme Court in 1896 rejected a constitutional challenge to a state common-carrier law.

Justice Clarence Thomas last year wrote that “the long history in this country and in England of restricting the exclusion right of common carriers and places of public accommodation may save similar regulations today from triggering heightened scrutiny” under the First Amendment, “especially where a restriction would not prohibit the company from speaking or force the company to endorse the speech.” Texas’ law does neither.

The Fifth Circuit cites two high-courts precedents that support the constitutionality of Texas’s law. In PruneYard Shopping Center v. Robins (1980) a mall challenged a California law that required privately owned shopping centers to permit the distribution of pamphlets on their premises. The mall argued that a “private property owner has a First Amendment right not to be forced by the State to use his property as a forum for the speech of others.” The court disagreed.

More recently, law schools in Rumsfeld v. Forum for Academic and Institutional Rights (2006) challenged a federal law that denied funding to schools that didn’t give military recruiters “access to students that is at least equal in quality and scope to the access provided other potential employers.” The court unanimously held the law didn’t violate the schools’ speech rights.

Social-media companies cite Miami Herald v. Tornillo (1974), which struck down a Florida law requiring newspapers to print candidates’ rejoinders to critical editorials. But in asserting a right to editorial control, they’re trying to have it both ways. As Judge Oldham notes, “they’ve told courts—over and over again—that they simply ‘serv[e] as conduits for other parties’ speech.’ ”

Newspapers and broadcasters exercise strict control over the content they promulgate and are legally liable for defamation. Social-media platforms don’t and aren’t. Section 230, in protecting platforms’ right to block and screen objectionable material, specifies that they shall not “be treated as the publisher or speaker” of content generated by users.

Social-media companies want to be able to censor speech they don’t like without bearing legal risks and responsibilities attendant to being a publisher. But why should courts let them?

Judge Oldman points out that Texas’ law differs from Florida’s in a few key respects that may make the latter more legally vulnerable. For one, Florida’s law specifically prohibits platforms from censoring candidates for public office or content about them as well as “journalistic enterprises.” This content-based regulation could trigger heightened First Amendment scrutiny.

Both Texas and Florida laws are innovative solutions to tech censorship, and they may not get it entirely right. But state laboratories of democracy are meant for experimentation.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
just notified this week our company has been chosen by Google to offer telehealth to their 100,000 employees

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

I guess I have to go in silence mode from now on ....... on this topic

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Goolag's MUM
« Reply #925 on: October 25, 2022, 03:09:13 AM »
If You Liked Big Brother, Meet Google's Big MUM
by Daniel Greenfield
October 25, 2022 at 4:00 am

Send   
Print
Google first unleashed MUM to fight what it considered COVID "misinformation" by making sure that everyone saw "high quality and timely information from trusted health authorities like the World Health Organization". By reducing the number of sources to only those that agree with its agenda, Google is able to deliver fast results while getting rid of different points of view.

Google long ago ceased being a way to find different answers and its search results are deliberately repetitive. Search is an illusion. The user thinks that he's browsing the internet when he's actually spinning his wheels in Google's walled garden.

Or as Pandu Nayak, VP of search at Google, wrote in a recent post, "By using our latest AI model, Multitask Unified Model (MUM), our systems can now understand the notion of consensus, which is when multiple high-quality sources on the web all agree on the same fact."

Google disagrees with many of its users about what "reliable sources" or "high-quality sources" entail.

In 2022, Google's search is hopelessly broken because the company no longer has any interest in providing the search service that made it a monopoly, giving a ranked list of diverse results, but wants everyone to speak into their phones and receive a single answer. The consensus.

If you own an advanced Android phone, you may find that Google Assistant will interrupt conversations to offer its own "insights". Google is also pursuing "prebunking" of what it considers "misinformation" with preemptive propaganda campaigns.

Jigsaw, the company's most explicitly political arm, is researching what it calls "prebunking" or attacking views it opposes before they can even gain traction. Prebunking is currently being experimentally tested by Google's Jigsaw to fight "misinformation" in Poland and other Eastern European countries....

Google's YouTube already has a broad set of bans covering everything from questioning global warming, contradicting medical experts, and debating 2020 election results. These are a window into the company's political agendas and how it seeks to enforce political conformity.

While it seeks to narrow the sphere of acceptable information in its platforms, Google is working with the leftist Poynter Institute, one of the most notoriously biased fact check spammers.... The company claims to have spent $75 million on efforts to fight "misinformation." And who determines what misinformation is? He who controls the algorithms.

As the midterm elections approach, YouTube spokeswoman, Ivy Choi, promised that the video site's recommendations are "continuously and prominently surfacing midterms-related content from authoritative news sources and limiting the spread of harmful midterms-related misinformation." The technical term for this is mass propaganda. That's what Big Tech does.

The internet was revolutionary because it upended the central systems of mass propaganda which allowed a government and a handful of men to enforce their consensus on a helpless public.....

Conservatives are one of the cultural barriers because their existence is a marked reminder that Big Tech does not control everything..... [Big Tech] manage systems that extend around the country and the world. When they encounter different points of view, they seek to wipe them out.

MUM is yet another tool for enforcing a totalitarian conformity on the diversity of the internet.

Google doesn't want you to think differently or to think for yourself. What it wants users to do is to shut up and listen to Big MUM.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
metaverse blowing up like giant supernova
« Reply #926 on: October 27, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jim Cramer
« Reply #927 on: October 27, 2022, 03:26:16 PM »

JC ->>f :cry:

knocks out FB after FB catches him with a spinning back kick to the jaw ;

as well as Morgan Stanley!

hope no one here owned the stock
although I may have some in my mutual funds  :-o :-o :-o

https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/jim-cramer-chokes-up-as-he-apologizes-for-pushing-meta-stock/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Musk's new Twitter team
« Reply #931 on: November 06, 2022, 08:53:08 AM »
Late last month, Elon Musk completed his acquisition of Twitter and immediately fired four of the company’s most senior executives.

In their place, he’s installed a small council of lieutenants to assess the company and begin implementing his vision. The group includes Musk’s personal lawyer, his chief of staff, a couple investor friends and a former Twitter executive who left the company years ago.

The new regime has already started mass layoffs, discussed the company’s content moderation plans and sent out orders to employees to begin working on a paid verification feature. They also met with advertisers who provide Twitter with most of its revenue and have shown concern over how Musk might run the company.

It’s not clear long this group will be running Twitter, but for now, they’re tasked with keeping the company going and ramping up its revenue. Here’s a run-down of who they are.

The world’s richest man with a net worth around $200 billion according to Bloomberg News, has long been a power user of the social network. As owner, he refers to himself as “Chief Twit” and on Monday a financial filing from the company confirmed he was the official chief executive. Musk already helms several other companies, including Tesla and SpaceX. As Twitter’s new owner, he wields tremendous power to steer the company, from changing the site’s approach to content moderation to enacting dramatic cuts to Twitter’s workforce, to pushing users to pay for using the site.

Musk has a hands-on management style, and has spoken in the past about sleeping in the Tesla factory to make sure work was on schedule. He’s taking a similar approach to Twitter already, with one employee who spoke on the condition of anonymity saying that Musk was micromanaging individual projects. On Twitter, he’s been busy replying to suggestions from individuals about how to change the company, as well as responding to complaints about accounts being unfairly locked.

A tech investor, podcast host and longtime Musk associate, Calacanis’ texts with Musk were among those that appeared in court documents released as part of Twitter’s lawsuit to force Musk to buy the company. Calacanis pitched Musk ideas on how to change Twitter before the acquisition. And now that Musk is formally the owner, Calacanis has been on Twitter soliciting feedback from users on what kind of features they want to see.

In his private texts to Musk, Calacanis suggested that Twitter require employees return to the office for at least two days a week, which he said would reduce the workforce by 20 percent, through “voluntary departures.” He also criticized Twitter’s premium features and proposed expanding verified badges to more users, the messages show. In private texts, he told Musk that becoming the new chief executive of Twitter is his “dream job.” He’s not CEO, but Musk has kept Calacanis around as part of the transition and his title is listed internally as a software engineer. On Monday, Calacanis tweeted that he was in New York to meet with advertisers on behalf of Twitter.

Birchall is one of Musk’s closest advisers and manages the billionaire’s personal fortune as head of his family office since 2016. He’s a former Morgan Stanley wealth manager and helped set up the financing for Musk’s Twitter buyout.

Birchall also serves as chief executive of Neuralink, Musk’s brain interface tech start-up and as a director of his tunneling company, Boring Co., though it’s unclear if he actually wields power there or is simply in charge on paper. Birchall is Musk’s fixer, helping arrange the purchase and sale of his houses and the hiring of security guards, according to Bloomberg. Over the last few days, Birchall has been one of the people strategizing inside Twitter.

A lawyer at New York law firm Quinn Emanuel, Spiro has become a bigger and bigger figure in Musk’s orbit over the past few years. He helped Musk win a defamation lawsuit for his comments insulting a cave diver he got into a Twitter fight with over the rescue of a Thai boys soccer team several years ago. Spiro has also represented a roster of famous athletes and musicians, including Aaron Hernandez in his 2016 murder trial and Jay-Z in a business dispute over a perfume endorsement deal. When Twitter sued Musk for backing out of his deal to buy the company earlier this year, Spiro helped lead the billionaire’s defense. Musk gave up on getting out of buying Twitter, but he’s kept Spiro on.

The lawyer is now managing the legal, government relations, policy and marketing teams at Twitter, according to four people familiar with internal discussions who spoke on the condition of anonymity. He was also involved in the layoff plan that went into effect in recent days.

Sacks has worked with Musk since the two were part of PayPal’s team in the early 2000s. They both made fortunes when the company sold, and Sacks has invested in a string of successful start-ups since then, including Airbnb, Facebook and Uber. He’s also become a conservative media figure and a major Republican donor who helped fund the successful recall of San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin earlier this year. In September, he wrote an article advocating for a referendum in Russia-occupied eastern Ukraine asking residents if they wanted to secede from Ukraine and join Russia, an idea Musk later tweeted himself.

Sacks recently appeared in a Twitter company directory with an official Twitter email and the title “staff software engineer,” according to photos obtained by The Post.

m Krishnan. (San Francisco Chronicle/Hearst Newspapers via Getty Images/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images)
Krishnan helps lead cryptocurrency investments at Silicon Valley venture capital heavyweight Andreessen Horowitz, which invested $400 million in Musk’s Twitter acquisition. He’s also worked in product development positions at Facebook, Snapchat and, from 2017 till 2019 at Twitter. On Monday he said he was helping Musk out at Twitter “temporarily.” It’s unclear exactly what Krishnan is doing, but he’s the only one in Musk’s team that has actually worked at Twitter before.

Elizabeth Dwoskin and Faiz Siddiqui contributed to this report.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
shysters lead by Larry the Lib are hard at work figuring how to combat Twitter under Musk

already the fired employees class action suits

OTOH perhaps musk did not give them proper notice under federal law .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Twitter’s owner Elon Musk announced Saturday night that former President Donald Trump will be reinstated on the social media platform as per the results of a Twitter-wide poll of public preference on the matter.

“The people have spoken. Trump will be reinstated. Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” Musk said in a post linking to the polling decision, using a Latin phrase meaning “the voice of the people, the voice of God.”

The poll was open for 24 hours.

With 15.08 million votes tallied, the poll showed that 51.8 percent of users who engaged wanted Trump to be allowed to post on Twitter, while a minority 48.2 percent wanted the former president to remain banned from the platform.

Read More
Former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Says He ‘Owns Responsibility’ for Company’s Mass Layoffs
It is not clear if Trump will return to Twitter. While past public statements indicate the former president has no plans to return to Twitter, preferring his own social media platform Truth Social, some actions have implied a potential return.

Lawyers for the former president on Nov. 14 had asked the appeals court to revive a lawsuit against Twitter challenging Trump’s permanent suspension.

In the lawsuit (pdf), the lawyers allege that government officials have used social media platforms as “cat’s paws” to suppress opinions “that turn out to be correct or at least debatable,” citing Hunter Biden’s laptop, the COVID-19 pandemic, and 2020 election integrity.

The action will no longer be needed.

Meanwhile, Trump encouraged users on Truth Social to engage with the Twitter poll regarding his reinstatement, teasing a potential return on the platform. But he offered reassurances to users of his platform that a Twitter reinstatement wouldn’t mean an end of Truth Social.

“Vote now with positivity, but don’t worry, we aren’t going anywhere. Truth Social is special!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Goolag, Evil Apple COMPLICIT with evil PRC oppress and crush dissent
« Reply #939 on: December 01, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »
"In early November, 9to5Mac reported that the upgrade to the iPhone’s operating system had a strange quirk – it restricted how people in China, and only those in China, could use its AirDrop feature, which lets iPhone users communicate directly with other iPhone users without relying on the Internet.

Why? Because “protesters in the country had been using the feature to spread posters opposing Xi Jinping and the Chinese government.” The protests, keep in mind, were sparked by China’s endless “zero-COVID” lockdowns, which most recently resulted in several people being burned to death because they were trapped inside a building that caught fire.

Just as did their brothers in Tiananmen Square in 1989, today’s protesters want freedom. And China’s response to such requests hasn’t changed. On Wednesday, reports said that China’s police called for a “crackdown” against “hostile forces and infiltrative activities.”

Yet, despite the fact that Apple has stuck its nose in political issues for years, it has been studiously silent on the China protests – even after some of its own workers were beaten by the police when they started protesting low pay and unsafe working conditions."
"So, ask yourself:

What sort of company sides with those who want to silence conservatives in the United States while working with the CCP to thwart freedom protests?

What sort of company gladly employs slave labor to make its products, which it then sells at a huge markup? (Apple’s net earnings are consistently above 20%.)

What kind of company loudly complains about a religious liberty law enacted in one state that gays didn’t like, but turns a blind eye to China’s genocide against its own minority Uyghur population?

Then ask yourself, whose side is Apple on these days? The forces of good, or the forces of evil?"

https://issuesinsights.com/2022/12/01/apples-logo-finally-makes-sense/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who holds these evil tech giants accountable?  The Left sure doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:09:59 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Goolag old Twitter in cahoots with Dems, partisan censorship
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2022, 01:59:55 PM »
Why isn't this criminal, and a violation of civil rights too?

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/3760753-censorship-by-surrogate-why-musks-document-dump-could-be-a-game-changer/

Big story, but no shame or outrage from any Dems.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Why isn't this criminal, and a violation of civil rights too?"

Democrat's response:

the big middle finger:

"Musk is a white supremacist threat to democracy!"

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
what about a certain search engine most likely being involved in this too?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
censorship via Tech Octopus, Americans back Musk
« Reply #947 on: December 14, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/12/elon-is-winning.php

Hinderaker quotes Rasmussen poll:

Seventy-two percent (72%) think censorship by social media companies is a serious problem, including 49% who say it’s a Very Serious problem. Twenty percent (20%) don’t think it’s a serious problem.

Understandably, then, 66% of voters approve of GOP plans to investigate social media censorship, while only 26% disapprove.

The same survey shows that Republicans think censorship is a bigger problem than “misinformation,” while Democrats think “misinformation” is a bigger problem than censorship.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Paypal taken over by democrat censors
« Reply #948 on: December 14, 2022, 09:53:29 AM »
https://www.thefp.com/p/what-the-hell-happened-to-paypal

Daniel Schulman

the woke CEO :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Schulman

sounds like a virulent Jewish Democrat

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH summarizing things up beautifully on SBF / Musk and the "pravdas"
« Reply #949 on: December 15, 2022, 08:10:27 AM »
https://pjmedia.com/victordavishanson/2022/12/15/two-antithetical-billionaires-n1653771

VDH must read the forum

wasn't "pravda" a CDog  phrase for the NYT?