Author Topic: In search of online privacy  (Read 15813 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: G M's guide to online privacy
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 09:45:02 PM »
That is funny.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Goolag alternatives
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 10:58:05 PM »
I will be checking this out!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
re: G M's guide to online privacy, Google Alternatives
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
https://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=2698.msg128449#msg128449

https://restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/
----------------------------------------------------

A lot of information there!  I will be implementing as many of these as I can, one by one.  Would like to hear the progress of others on these. 

My main devices:  Windows 10 laptop.  Android phone.  Are others here on Apple or Windows and Android?

So many things keep me from getting real privacy, but much of this is do-able.  New Browsers New Search Engines.  I would like to switch my map program, but Google will still know everywhere I go. (?)  Can I really change my operating systems without problems? 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: re: G M's guide to online privacy, Google Alternatives
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »
https://brax.me/prod/host.php?f=_store&h=rob&p=&version=

I am planning on getting a De-Goolaged phone from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSCmT5S-2w

https://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=2698.msg128449#msg128449

https://restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/
----------------------------------------------------

A lot of information there!  I will be implementing as many of these as I can, one by one.  Would like to hear the progress of others on these. 

My main devices:  Windows 10 laptop.  Android phone.  Are others here on Apple or Windows and Android?

So many things keep me from getting real privacy, but much of this is do-able.  New Browsers New Search Engines.  I would like to switch my map program, but Google will still know everywhere I go. (?)  Can I really change my operating systems without problems?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: re: G M's guide to online privacy, Google Alternatives
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2020, 07:34:54 AM »

I am planning on getting a De-Goolaged phone from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSCmT5S-2w

Good.  Please keep us posted on this.  If/when this achieves full enough functionality, I will do it too and there is going to be a huge market for it. 

The public still needs alternatives to Facebook and twitter.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Covering your online tracks
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »
https://www.americanpartisan.org/2021/02/digital-spoor-and-cyber-weapons-how-to-cover-your-tracks-online-by-silicon-valley-sniper/

Good explanation of some of the questions presented lately.

"Digital security is about finding the right balance between risk and convenience, so prepare to be inconvenienced. It’s necessary."

Included in inconvenience is cost.  There is some cost in money and time in turning away from what we were lured into for 'free'.

I don't have a VPN - yet.  I'm not fully hidden on the internet.  I can't easily undo public records, make them disappear.  I want and need to be reachable.  Google still owns me though I have switched mostly to Brave and duckduckgo.  I don't use FB but miss out on the good parts of what they provide.  [I use it indirectly because I learn of news with friends and family from others use of it.]  I avoid Amazon.  Never used Instagram.  Need to break with youtube.  I read some twitter but have no log in or presence.  I plan to go further this year with de-googling.

But another point is that we need alternatives to all of the above and throw the media in with that.  We need to organize like minded people through our own social networks to advance our agenda politically and thwart theirs.  If we all run and hide, we lose, though I know the argument is we already lost.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Covering your online tracks
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2021, 02:55:31 PM »
If you really want to be harder to target:

https://archive.fo/XCTZl

As far as a VPN, once my Nord VPN subscription expires, I think I will use BytzVPN:

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2021/02/digital-spoor-and-cyber-weapons-how-to-cover-your-tracks-online-by-silicon-valley-sniper/

Good explanation of some of the questions presented lately.

"Digital security is about finding the right balance between risk and convenience, so prepare to be inconvenienced. It’s necessary."

Included in inconvenience is cost.  There is some cost in money and time in turning away from what we were lured into for 'free'.

I don't have a VPN - yet.  I'm not fully hidden on the internet.  I can't easily undo public records, make them disappear.  I want and need to be reachable.  Google still owns me though I have switched mostly to Brave and duckduckgo.  I don't use FB but miss out on the good parts of what they provide.  [I use it indirectly because I learn of news with friends and family from others use of it.]  I avoid Amazon.  Never used Instagram.  Need to break with youtube.  I read some twitter but have no log in or presence.  I plan to go further this year with de-googling.

But another point is that we need alternatives to all of the above and throw the media in with that.  We need to organize like minded people through our own social networks to advance our agenda politically and thwart theirs.  If we all run and hide, we lose, though I know the argument is we already lost.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Listen to Rob Braxman
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 08:16:12 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Listen to Rob Braxman
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Rob Braxman
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:11 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Privacy is an essential part of security
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2021, 05:51:13 AM »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/vb9nzx/black-market-tmobile-phone-location-data-bounty-hunter-murder

From the article :
"For years, I've warned that protecting personal data isn't just about personal privacy, it's about personal safety," Senator Ron Wyden told Motherboard in a statement.
—------------

Ron Wyden is a far left Senator from Oregon.  There are quite a few things relating to internet and privacy that the right, left and center can agree on and still our dysfunctional government does nothing.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Privacy is an essential part of security
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2021, 07:27:17 AM »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/vb9nzx/black-market-tmobile-phone-location-data-bounty-hunter-murder

From the article :
"For years, I've warned that protecting personal data isn't just about personal privacy, it's about personal safety," Senator Ron Wyden told Motherboard in a statement.
—------------

Ron Wyden is a far left Senator from Oregon.  There are quite a few things relating to internet and privacy that the right, left and center can agree on and still our dysfunctional government does nothing.

It’s pretty clear the PTB are interested only in controlling us and protecting us doesn’t even enter into their calculations.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Privacy oriented cellular?
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2022, 09:48:44 AM »
https://www.voltawireless.com/

Haven't studied this yet.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Google warns of spyware
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2022, 04:45:07 AM »
Google warns of spyware business to hack into personal devices

Says commercial sale hurts values

BY RYAN LOVELACE THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Google is warning Congress that the sale of spyware tools is fueling the growth of a commercial surveillance industry that enables governments to track people around the world in unprecedented ways.

Google’s Shane Huntley recently told the House Intelligence Committee that the commercial surveillance industry is thriving and should concern Americans.

“These vendors are enabling the proliferation of dangerous hacking tools, arming nationstate actors that would not otherwise be able to develop these capabilities in-house,” Mr. Huntley said in written testimony. “While the use of surveillance technologies may be legal under national or international laws, they are found to be used by some state actors for purposes antithetical to democratic values: targeting dissidents, journalists, human rights workers, and opposition party politicians.”

Spyware, malicious software that facilitates the monitoring of someone’s smartphone or other electronic devices, can give criminals access to people’s messages, microphones and cameras, often without any indication of the snooping.

The spyware is readily available in the high-tech marketplace, and cyberattackers, hackers and governments are all customers of these products.

Americans have become ensnared by these surveillance tools.

Carine Kanimba, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Rwanda, told intelligence committee lawmakers that the Rwanda government used spyware tools against her family after facilitating the kidnapping of her father.

Ms. Kanimba said the Rwandan government targeting her has relied upon American taxpayers’ money. “I am told that my surveillance would cost the Rwandan government millions of dollars,” Ms. Kanimba said at an intelligence committee hearing on Wednesday. “Rwanda is the third-most aid-dependent country in the world, foreign aid makes up to 70% of national expenditure, and the U.S. provided 160 million dollars in aid to Rwanda last year. All of you, members of Congress and American taxpayers themselves deserve to know how the government of Rwanda is spending humanitarian aid.”

Lawmakers expressed horror at Ms. Kanimba’s experience. Democratic Reps. Jim Himes of Connecticut and Jackie Speier of California suggested the U.S. should reconsider giving foreign aid to Rwanda.

Among the most pernicious forms of digital surveillance is spyware that relies on “zeroclick” flaws, which do not require someone to click on anything for a hacker to gain access to a victim’s device.

Creating tools to protect Americans from surveillance products is difficult.

“Short of not using a device, there is no way to prevent exploitation by a zero-click exploit,” Mr. Huntley wrote. “It’s a weapon against which there is no defense.

Mr. Huntley is part of Google’s Threat Analysis group, a team of about 50 people focused on statesponsored malware attacks and other threats from major hacking groups. He said 7 of 9 previously unknown vulnerabilities his team discovered last year were created by commercial providers and then sold to state-backed hackers and attackers.

Determining when someone falls victim to spyware is difficult. Mr. Huntley said Google uses a range of tools to detect surveillance and gathers information from outsiders and Google users.

The Toronto-based research group Citizen Lab uncovered an NSO Group exploit last year affecting Apple devices, which captured public attention. Apple later issued a security update. The Biden administration also blacklisted the technology by adding NSO to a Commerce Department list, placing restrictions on the group’s business.

Citizen Lab’s John Scott-Railton told the lawmakers that he finds victims by connecting with people his group believes are likely to become targets of repressive regimes and through work with other companies.

He said Citizen Lab found one exploit on the phone of a woman advocating for women’s rights to drive in Saudi Arabia and in another case a man’s phone was running hot because it was infected with multiple spyware products.

“Typically, with this pretty sophisticated stuff, there would be no sign,” Mr. Scott-Railton said. “There are exceptions.”

Mr. Himes said American public officials are not beyond the reach of commercial spyware customers.

“You can imagine that if this can be in a warehouse in Ghana that nobody, not Mike Pence, not Nancy Pelosi, not Kevin McCarthy, not Adam Schiff … are immune from having their most private deliberations watched,” Mr. Himes said. “And that may be just enough to interfere in our elections, just enough to end our democracies.”

Carine Kanimba and technology experts urged Congress to oppose the use of commercial spyware and discourage investment in spyware that has been used against dissidents, journalists and diplomats. ASSOCIATED PRES

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
How URLs track us
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2022, 08:16:32 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:40:00 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2022, 05:56:10 AM »
Obvious irony there in that an article about how to avoid being tracked tracked me.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2022, 12:22:39 PM »
Biden administration sued for social media surveillance information

BY RYAN LOVELACE THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A liberal-leaning think tank is suing the Biden administration to reveal the government’s social media surveillance tools and the extent of online spying on Americans.

The New York-based Brennan Center sued the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement for refusing to hand over records about its use of data analytics products that scour the internet.

“The agency’s expanded use of social media monitoring tools will heighten existing risks to privacy and to freedom of speech, expression, and association, affecting Americans, immigrants, and foreign travelers while making scant contributions to national security,” the Brennan Center’s Rachel Levinson-Waldman and Jose Guillermo Gutierrez said in a statement posted on the center’s website.

The lawsuit filed last week in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York seeks records about the government’s use of tools from three companies: ShadowDragon, Logically Inc. and Voyager Labs. The trio makes data tools relying on artificial intelligence that allows customers to spend more time analyzing information rather than gathering it.

The Brennan Center’s lawsuit said it knows ICE uses Shadow-Dragon, DHS has had preliminary conversations with Logically Inc., and Voyager Labs markets its services for areas under DHS’ purview such as border security.

In December 2021, the Brennan Center sought a range of documents on the government’s use of these tools including records about internal audits, legal justifications, training and use, purchase orders, communications about the companies, and nondisclosure agreements.

Rather than reject the Freedom of Information Act request for records, the Brennan Center’s lawsuit alleges the government ignored it. A DHS official transferred the request internally in December 2021, ignored further requests through April 2022, and declared the matter closed earlier this month.

Immigration enforcement agencies are hardly the only ones using social media tools and facing scrutiny for doing so. The U.S. Postal Service Inspector General published an audit in March saying that postal inspectors conducted unauthorized searches and exceeded their legal authority through its Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP).

Postal inspectors working on the iCOP program allegedly snooped on Americans’ social media accounts to monitor “right-wing Parler and Telegram accounts” ahead of protests, according to a bulletin published by Yahoo News last year.

The Postal Service watchdog’s investigation was conducted in response to a request from House Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn B. Maloney, New York Democrat, and ranking member Rep. James Comer, Kentucky Republican.

National security agencies and officials have an interest in social media monitoring too. The Department of Defense last year said it planned to spend nearly $60 million on its Influence Campaign Awareness and Sensemaking program to make algorithms and gathering tweets, memes, blog posts, and political ads. The goal is to provide tools to create an “early warning” of foreign influence, according to the Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

The full picture of how the federal government monitors social media is unclear but many agencies find it valuable. At a Cyber Initiatives Group event last week, intelligence community cyber executive Laura Galante said information published on Twitter and blogs can be “just as critical as different types of classified or other sources” when studying cyberthreats.

DHS and ICE did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the Brennan Center’s lawsuit.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
liberal think tank suing Biden DHS immigration
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »
****A liberal-leaning think tank is suing the Biden administration to reveal the government’s social media surveillance tools and the extent of online spying on Americans.****

guise is they are suing to "protect Americans"

No it is not
they are suing to protect illegals !

they don't give rat's ass about citizens....

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2022, 02:28:10 PM »
Far out.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2023, 08:11:54 AM »

I'm thinking of signing up to Twitter so I can follow Tucker (and maybe a few others)

In that I am already on FB am I surrendering anything additional?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2023, 09:24:52 AM »

I'm thinking of signing up to Twitter so I can follow Tucker (and maybe a few others)

In that I am already on FB am I surrendering anything additional?

Probably not.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The anonymous world of extreme privacy
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2024, 03:00:03 PM »
https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-tech/the-anonymous-world-of-extreme-privacy/

Remember, I am a clueless boomer and have no idea whether this guy knows whereof he speaks.  Indeed, I would be glad to hear the assessments of others.