Author Topic: Politics by Lawfare, and the Law of War  (Read 35169 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
https://populistpress.com/finally-someone-who-dares-to-sue-public-universities/

Represented by two of the biggest, most powerful law firms in the state, Perkins Coie [AGAIN! - remember Sussman]. and Snell & Wilmer:

filed a 200+ page bar complaint against him [Brnovch]. Since the left dominates many state bars, it is now weaponizing them to take down conservative lawyers. This way, they don’t even have to bother presenting their case to a jury and proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt; just immediately threaten the person’s livelihood under whatever amorphous system they have handy, tarnishing their honorable reputation and obstructing their accomplishment of anything else

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Politics by Lawfare, and the Law of War
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2022, 12:03:19 PM »
That "Deep State Andy" thing , , , :roll:
============================

How the Whitmer-Kidnapping Case Fell to the Yuck! Defense

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer speaks during a news conference after thirteen people, including seven men associated with the Wolverine Watchmen militia group, were arrested for alleged plots to take Whitmer hostage and attack the state capitol building, in Lansing, Mich., October 8, 2020.(Michigan Governor's office/Handout via Reuters)
124 Comments
Listen to article
By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY
April 16, 2022 6:30 AM
Juries just don’t like over-aggressive police enticing defendants into committing a crime.
Maybe we should just call it the yuck! defense.

In fact, it is called entrapment. And it comes in a couple of importantly different varieties: There is the legal defense of entrapment, which defendants hate because it is so hard to prove. And then there is what a smart defense-lawyer friend of mine calls the “entrapment adjacent” defense, and what I’ve sometimes referred to as “equitable entrapment.” Prosecutors hate that one because it effectively puts the government investigators on trial, which can make for an ugly case if they’ve been too heavy-handed — more interested in incriminating people who are presumed innocent than investigating suspects who are actually guilty.

The entrapment-adjacent defense is used when an accused can’t prove he was entrapped as a matter of law, but hopes the jury will say, “Yuck!” That is, he hopes the jurors will be so offended by the aggressiveness of the police in enticing the defendant into committing the crime that they will vote not-guilty even if the evidence technically supports conviction.

As Rich Lowry and I discussed in The McCarthy Report podcast this week, the yuck! defense was on full display in the prosecution of four men for allegedly plotting to kidnap Michigan’s Democratic governor, Gretchen Whitmer. Last week, a federal jury in Grand Rapids acquitted two of the men outright, and hung on the other two (whom the feds insist they will try again).

The prosecution shows the dangers of the Democrats’ strategy to put criminal prosecutions in the service of their political narrative that “our democracy” is under a domestic-terrorist siege fueled by white-supremacism. In that sense, it mirrors the failed prosecution we spotlighted last weekend: the acquittal of Matthew Martin, whom the Justice Department irrationally over-investigated and over-charged for doing nothing more than being present on the scene of the Capitol riot.

TOP STORIES
In Florida, Disney Is Throwing in the Towel
Joe Biden Is Not Normal
Conditional Sovereignty Is No Sovereignty at All
CNN+ Launch
Facing Grim Facts, Biden and the Democrats Can Only Blame Themselves
The Day Lincoln and Congress Freed D.C.’s Slaves
Prosecutions can be theatrical, but they are not theater. They can feature prima-donna performances, but they are not congressional hearings. There are rules of evidence and procedure that get enforced. There is a judge there to correct participants who get out of line — and a court of appeals ready to correct a judge who fails to ensure that the rules are followed. A trial is not a passion play; it is an adversarial search for truth, in which the accused is presumed innocent and the government is expected to do justice — which does not necessarily mean its prosecutors should win (though that’s what it usually means if the prosecutors exercise sober discretion in their charging decisions).

Consequently, criminal prosecutions can predicate a viable political narrative only when the narrative follows from, and accurately reflects, the prosecution of criminal conduct that really does portend an ongoing threat to society. By contrast, when the prosecutions follow from the narrative — i.e., when political operatives hyperbolically maintain that there is an ongoing threat, and then expect that narrative to be borne out by a series of prosecutions undertaken in that politically manufactured atmosphere — then those prosecutions are apt to be overbearing. Jurors may well see such prosecutions as prioritizing political messaging over evidence. They may well conclude that the application of awesome, intrusive investigative authorities to behavior of dubious criminality, the peril of which has been exaggerated, is an abuse of power.

More on
GRETCHEN WHITMER

What the Whitmer Case Acquittal Means
Prosecutors Fail to Secure a Single Guilty Verdict in Alleged Whitmer Kidnapping Plot
What Not to Do in the Next Pandemic
They may say, “Yuck!”

As a prosecutor for nearly 20 years, I dealt with many entrapment defenses. That’s not because I wasn’t busy enough with real crime and thus had to generate criminal cases to prosecute. To the contrary, I worked mostly against organized-crime groups, international criminal enterprises, and terrorist networks.

The activities of these confederations portend a continuing danger to the public. They thus get lots of government resources, enough to support the assignment of undercover agents and the recruitment of informants. Those government operatives are often tasked to infiltrate ongoing conspiracies. If they do that effectively, particularly by making covert video and audio recordings of criminal meetings (and sometimes of the crimes themselves), entrapment is the only game in town for defense lawyers. When the client is on tape, a “mistaken identity” defense is not going to get you very far.

So here is what I’ve learned about entrapment.

As a matter of law, entrapment is very hard for a defendant to prove. No matter how hard the police push, if the crime at issue is proposed by the suspect, not the undercover agent or informant, there is no entrapment defense. And that’s not the only legal problem for the defense. Even if the government operative proposes the crime, the entrapment defense fails if the prosecutor can prove the suspect was predisposed to commit it.

This second situation is very common. Let’s say an undercover agent infiltrates a Mafia family that is running a gambling ring in Queens, and then proposes that they open a second such ring in Brooklyn — at a site the FBI can covertly wire for video and sound. Or let’s say the DEA learns that a street gang is using an apartment in the Bronx as a drug den, so agents send an informant there, having him pretend to be a dealer who proposes to buy a kilogram of cocaine. No sensible person has a problem with such cases. No one thinks the FBI concocted the Gambino family or MS-13. The threat of ongoing, potentially violent crime from real criminal organizations, even loosely organized ones, is obvious. So is the fact that the most culpable, highest-ranking conspirators tend to be insulated and thus cannot be exposed absent undercover infiltration.

Basically, if prosecutors can establish that there truly is a threat to life and to the broader society, juries give investigators a wide berth. They will reject the inevitable “entrapment adjacent” defense because they will expect the police to be aggressive given the nature of the peril. They will expect the undercover agents and informants to push the conspirators hard, in order to identify other members of their criminal organizations, and to commit on tape the crimes they discuss in strategy sessions.

More from
ANDREW C. MCCARTHY

Why the Subway-Shooter Case Is Federal
Chinese Partners Financed Bidens’ Spending Spree While Bidens Sought Visa Help for Them
Capitol Riot Overkill: Case That Should Never Have Been Brought Ends in Acquittal
The yuck! factor comes into play when the claimed threat to life and society is questionable, when the crimes at issue are not terribly serious, and/or when the suspects appear to be sad sacks who are probably incapable of the grand schemes alleged. The yuck! factor is acute when, even if the suspects have arguably proposed the crime, the zest to execute the crime is overwhelmingly exhibited by the government operatives, not the suspects — when the evidence indicates that the suspects may just be big talkers while the undercover agents are the only real doers.

In my 1990s prosecution of jihadists, the overarching terrorist enterprise — which we charged as seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to conduct bombings — was premised on two schemes: the successfully executed plot to bomb the World Trade Center in February 1993, and an unsuccessful plot to bomb New York City landmarks a few months later.

The second plot heavily featured an FBI informant who was very aggressive. He did not propose the landmarks plot; that was done by a suspect who had been in the orbit of the WTC bombing plot but not operationally involved — and that suspect was motivated to propose the landmarks plot as vengeance against the U.S. government for imprisoning his friends and fellow jihadists, the WTC bombers. But even though the informant did not propose the landmarks plot, he did take on the guise of an explosives expert, arrange for a bomb-building safehouse, influence the plotters to use the safehouse to build the bombs they’d been talking about, and help them obtain explosive compounds and find sources for detonators.

Tellingly, the informant had infiltrated the jihadist organization before the WTC bombing, but the FBI prematurely ejected him from the investigation over a dispute about whether he’d be willing to testify. That removed the government’s window into the conspiracy; otherwise, we might have been able to prevent the WTC attack. In fact, it was the relationship that the informant had developed with the Blind Sheikh and his subordinates before the WTC bombing that enabled him to re-infiltrate the group afterward, thus thwarting the planned landmarks attack.

The second plot featured some sad-sack suspects and some shocking discussions about political kidnappings, jailbreaks, massive bombings, and overthrowing the United States government. In the abstract, no one would have believed these suspects capable of the atrocities they were discussing. Between that and the zealous exertions of the informant, I don’t know if we could have convinced a jury to convict them of the second plot standing alone. But of course, the second plot did not stand alone. The World Trade Center had already been bombed. There were sad sacks in that plot, too, and if you had seen them the day before they struck, no one would have thought them capable of what they pulled off.

The jury in our case did not look at the investigative aggressiveness and say, “Yuck!” They looked at a group of unabashed, anti-American jihadists who had carried out a heinous attack, in which their ambitions had been to kill tens of thousands of people. Though the terrorists succeeded in killing only a fraction of that number (and causing what would today be billions of dollars in property destruction), the jury understood that the bombing succeeded precisely because the FBI had failed to be aggressive enough while it had the good fortune of having infiltrated an informant into the jihadist conspiracy. In that context, the jury expected the investigators to be aggressive in the second plot — expected them to do what was necessary to prevent it from happening and nail all the plotters who could be identified.

By contrast, in the Whitmer case, the FBI and Justice Department (and their partners in state law enforcement) have tried to build a kidnapping prosecution on no foundation — no prior kidnappings or related violence, and no reason to believe the suspects would have tried to carry out so fantastic a scheme on their own, without being egged on by the government. The FBI involved so many undercover agents and informants that it must have seemed to the jury that they outnumbered the suspects said to be implicated in the plot. A bureau case agent appears to have leaked investigative information about the case; and the bureau’s main undercover was fired for allegedly beating his wife after they argued over a bizarre “swingers” escapade.

Yuck!

Many institutions in America appear to be crumbling before our eyes. One that is holding its own, though, is the jury trial. There are things about it that we should bear in mind when we address other challenges.

In the jury system, we do not leave important decisions to panels of experts. A defendant is entitled to a jury of his peers — a representative sampling of men and women from the community — to pass judgment: to convict the guilty but to protect the accused, and by extension the community itself, from abusive government. We let jurors hear expert testimony when it is needed to edify them about technical aspects of the case; but the experts do not instruct the jury — the jurors decide how much, if any, of the expert testimony is relevant, and they determine whom to believe when the experts offer conflicting testimony. There is no Dr. Fauci. There is no “scientific consensus” or blue-ribbon panel of technocrats. The community decides — ordinary people bringing all manner of life experience to jury service. No human system is perfect, but our jury system has the best chance of applying our collective wisdom to matters of great significance.

A signal aspect of our justice system is jury nullification. Ordinarily, trial judges do not tell jurors that they have the power to ignore the law and acquit the defendant, even if he may be guilty. The court does not spell out to jurors that they can send a strong message of disapproval about the government’s tactics, and about the blatant politicization of law enforcement. In fact, judges customarily advise juries that the defendant, not the government, is on trial, and that they should faithfully apply the law, as explained by the judge, to the facts of the case.

All that said, though, the jury does get to decide what the facts show, and what facts are dispositive. Jurors know they have the power to reject an unworthy case even if no one tells them that. And in our system, an acquittal is final — the government does not get to appeal a jury finding of not-guilty, even if the verdict does not technically square with the law and the evidence. Like it or not, the community gets the last word on whether the prosecution is a worthy one.

That’s why, in point of fact, the government is on trial in every criminal case. And in the entrapment scenario, the yuck! defense always has a chance if the government is playing politics rather than doing justice.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Judge Mizelle
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2022, 08:18:53 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
sometimes Josh if off base
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »
I don't support this at all

it smacks of government picking on companies it does not like

and copyrights should last a life time

though for my experience they get stolen in and outside the CR office anyway

though I heard Disney stole the Lion King from the real creator

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: sometimes Josh if off base
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Burn Pedo-Disney to the ground. They wanted to get political, this is what happens.

I don't support this at all

it smacks of government picking on companies it does not like

and copyrights should last a life time

though for my experience they get stolen in and outside the CR office anyway

though I heard Disney stole the Lion King from the real creator

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Chief Justice cannot force interviews with intern clerks
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2022, 05:47:21 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/roberts-may-face-roadblocks-in-probe-of-roe-leak-reporter-who-published-it-says-192321882.html

you have got to be kidding

lawyer listers to the rescue of the leaker

Garland does nada .......

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
huff post headline:
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
"THE DEPP-HEARD VERDICT’S MESSAGE TO VICTIMS: DON’T SPEAK UP"

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amber-heard-johnny-depp-case-will-silence-survivors_n_6298e9eee4b016c4eef6f68d

so now when we get a unwoke me too jury verdict
it is injustice.

So while Jeanine sees that justice served and legal system works
the metoo warriors see injustice and system does not work

the same people who will look the other way if asked about the Sussman acquittal

frankly, nothing is working

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2022, 08:11:47 AM »
Harvard Law
I think I remember Larry the Lib already
saying he could not assert executive privilege now out of office
and probably CNN

so this partisan lawyer

concludes pretty much the same though in round about way
or with some hurdles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Eggleston

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
Certainly, he is a Democrat partisan lawyer, but off the top of my head his analysis is reasonable as a matter of law.

Have not read the following yet, but it seems on point.

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2021/images/11/09/ruling.pdf

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
WOW Dershowitz actually states my suspicion
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2022, 08:12:56 PM »

that little runt Larry Tribe is subverting the Constitution for partisan purposes

watch at about the 6 minute mark:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/alan-dershowitz-jan-6-hearings-bias/2022/06/13/id/1074253/

this has been my suspicion that little shit has been a chief advisor behind the scenes

I would not call him a Nazi like he would call me but he is political *enemy*

dishonest , slime ball and the rest

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
NY lawyer(s) find another way to sue Musk
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2022, 07:36:21 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/elon-musk-sued-258-billion-over-alleged-dogecoin-pyramid-scheme-2022-06-16/

the lawyer hit mob is working overtime

maybe suit has merit
 don't know

but certainly I wonder if Musk was Joe Biden fan would this be the same?

coming from NYC I have to wonder

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DNC chief lawyer lister Tribe
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »
on Erin Burnett

a DNC multimillionaire jurnolister.  She introduces him as Constitutional lawyer from Harvard
while of course does not mention he operates as chief go to lawyer for Democrat party

as even confirmed but Professor Alan Dersh.:

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/06/16/laurence-tribe-donald-trump-attempted-to-murder-vice-president-pence/

funny he compares 2020 election to 1960 when reportedly Kennedy had mobsters get out the union vote ( was in in WV or MI ?) to that got JFK elected.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:30:49 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
another liberal law professor at Harvard
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2022, 04:12:15 PM »
https://populistpress.com/scotus-justice-announces-new-job/

Do they ever hire Jewish conservatives ?

I wonder if Justice Thomas will be offered a job if he retires from SCOTUS

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: another liberal law professor at Harvard
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2022, 05:40:27 PM »
A top level course on how to misread the constitution.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2022, 08:24:55 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2022/07/22/more-than-100-trump-affiliated-lawyers-targeted-by-dark-money-group/

well they are all lawyers

can they not file class action suit for slander

the malicious intent is obvious

MY QUOTE AGAIN :

WE ARE NOT A NATION OF LAWS , WE ARE A NATION OF LAW*YERS*

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
AMcC: DOJ planning to indict Trump?
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2022, 07:35:47 PM »
By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY
August 3, 2022 1:06 PM
The news that federal prosecutors are seeking the testimony of Trump’s former White House counsel suggests their investigation is ramping up.
The Justice Department’s issuance of a grand-jury subpoena to former White House counsel Pat Cipollone signals that the criminal investigation of former President Trump is ramping up.

Last month, we’ll recall, Cipollone agreed to sit for an interview with the House January 6 committee. It is important to understand: That was a heavily negotiated appearance in which conditions laid out by Cipollone had to be accommodated. Under Justice Department guidance that has long been followed by administrations of both parties, the president’s top advisers claim absolute immunity from compliance with congressional subpoenas. Moreover, as the lawyer for the president, the White House counsel is obliged by attorney–client privilege (ACP) to maintain the confidentiality of communications with the president and White House staff. (The White House counsel represents the president in his official capacity as president, so the scope of the ACP that applies to their communications is not the same as the scope of the ACP that applies to the president’s communications with his private lawyer.)

The theory of executive immunity from congressional information demands is rooted in the Constitution’s separation-of-powers principles. Ordinarily, the immunity is aggressively defended by the Justice Department, an important executive-branch component. So it is notable that DOJ has substantially refrained from defending executive privilege in connection with the House January 6 committee’s investigation. (This is because President Biden, the incumbent, has not supported his predecessor’s attempts to invoke executive privilege in the committee’s investigation.)

Obviously, though, a current or former executive-branch official’s constitutionally based immunity from congressional inquiries does not extend to inquiries undertaken by the executive branch itself.

TOP STORIES
The Pro-Life Defeat in Kansas
Kansas Votes to Uphold Constitutional Right to Abortion in First Ballot Measure since Dobbs
Peter Meijer, Who Voted to Impeach Trump, Loses to Trump-Backed John Gibbs in Michigan GOP House Primary
Signs of the Times
Connecticut Private School Excludes White Families from Back-to-School Event
Republican Congresswoman Jackie Walorski Killed in Car Crash
The Justice Department is conducting a criminal investigation with an eye toward prosecuting penal offenses, not a legislative inquiry with an eye toward potentially enacting curative laws. Going back to the Watergate era, the Supreme Court and the lower courts have reasoned that there is a higher public interest at stake in criminal investigations of public officials than in congressional inquiries. While the mere existence of a criminal investigation does not eviscerate executive privilege, the privilege must yield if prosecutors demonstrate that they have a specific need for important evidence, and that that evidence is not reasonably available from other sources. Ergo, unless prosecutors had concluded Cipollone possessed information vital to possible criminal charges, they would not have subpoenaed him to appear before the grand jury.

Here, significantly, the Justice Department itself has issued the subpoena to the former White House counsel. Virtually all criminal investigations in which executive-privilege claims have arisen have been conducted by specially appointed prosecutors: Watergate-era “special prosecutors,” the “independent counsels” appointed under a now-defunct statute, or “special counsels” named under currently applicable federal regulations.

More on
DONALD TRUMP

Peter Meijer, Who Voted to Impeach Trump, Loses to Trump-Backed John Gibbs in Michigan GOP House Primary
Blake Masters, Trump Pick Backed by Billionaire Peter Thiel, Wins Arizona GOP Senate Primary
Peter Meijer Lost His Race; Democrats Lost Their Moral High Ground
These prosecutors are lawyers brought in from outside the government when the Justice Department is laboring under a conflict of interest — most often because DOJ, which is part of the incumbent administration, is in the position of investigating members of that administration, perhaps including the president himself. Although special prosecutors are technically part of the Justice Department, they operate with a wide berth of independence. Typically, they are not indulgent of privileges that empower the administration to conceal information. For example, in the Whitewater investigation, independent counsel Ken Starr subpoenaed Clinton deputy White House counsel Bruce Lindsay and Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, and prevailed in court over the administration’s objections to those subpoenas.

By contrast, the Justice Department has a high interest in maintaining the full scope and potency of executive privileges, and thus ordinarily fights hard to defend and preserve them. So it is telling that the Justice Department itself has issued the subpoena to Cipollone in a situation that clearly triggers both executive privilege and a former president’s ACP.

If the Justice Department is fighting to pierce, rather than preserve, the privileges Cipollone might otherwise claim here, Cipollone and his private lawyers won’t have much luck asserting those privileges. They might try to assert executive privilege to avoid answering some questions, as they did when he was interviewed by the January 6 committee. But because President Biden has mostly waived executive privilege in this matter, such assertions would be likely to fail. (The D.C. Circuit, upheld by the Supreme Court, has already rejected Trump’s effort to claim privilege over Trump administration materials held by the National Archives and subpoenaed by the January 6 committee.)

As for asserting ACP, Cipollone would probably not get far with that either. To repeat, he was not the president’s private lawyer; he represented Trump in the conduct of lawful presidential duties, and only in the conduct of those duties. Moreover, when ostensibly privileged attorney–client communications are sought by prosecutors, it is usually in a context where either (a) the communications were arguably not privileged (because they were not confidential or didn’t specifically involve legal advice); or (b) the “crime-fraud exception” to the privilege applies (i.e., the law does not grant confidentiality, because the communications in question furthered a fraud or criminal-law violation).

Based on recent reporting, we can conclude that, this past spring, the focus of the Justice Department’s investigation shifted from the violence of the riot (in connection with which well over 800 people have been charged) to the activities of then-president Trump and the circle of advisers (mainly private lawyers) with whom he schemed to remain in power.

In particular, the DOJ appears to be homing in on whether the former president and his confederates conspired (a) to obstruct the constitutionally mandated January 6 joint session of Congress from counting state-certified electoral votes (corruptly obstructing Congress is a crime under Section 1512(c)(2) of the federal code); and/or (b) to defraud the United States government, specifically, by deceptively undermining its lawful functions, including the orderly transition of presidential administrations (a crime under Section 371, which I previously discussed in the context of the Durham probe).

The emerging theory appears to be as follows:

Trump and his advisers initially hoped to reverse the outcome of the election by a flurry of lawsuits charging fraud and other election irregularities, which they implausibly hoped would inspire Republican-controlled legislatures in key states won by Biden to invalidate the popular vote and substitute their own conclusion that Trump had won. The Trump team assembled alternative slates of Trump electors, who would be responsible for casting these states’ electoral votes for Trump if their legislatures could be convinced to overturn Biden’s popular-vote wins. In talking among themselves, even the Trump insiders referred to these purported slates as “fake” electors. Still, it appears that many of the Trump supporters who agreed to be electors saw themselves as not fake but contingent — i.e., they would be called into service only if the state election outcome were reversed by a court ruling or some other lawful action.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Feds after Giuliani
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2022, 06:10:40 AM »
Lawyers: Giuliani target of investigation

Criminal probe looking into actions during 2020 presidential vote

BY KATE BRUMBACK AND JILL COLVIN ASSOCIATED PRESS ATLANTA | Prosecutors in Atlanta on Monday told lawyers for Rudolph W. Giuliani that he’s a target of their criminal investigation into attempts by then-President Trump and others to undo the results of the 2020 presidential election in Georgia.

Special prosecutor Nathan Wade alerted Mr. Giuliani’s local attorney in Atlanta that the former New York City mayor could face criminal charges, said another Giuliani attorney, Robert Costello. News of the disclosure was first reported by The New York Times.

The revelation that Mr. Giuliani, a lawyer for Mr. Trump, is a target of the investigation by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis edges the probe closer to the former president. Ms. Willis has said she is considering calling Mr. Trump himself to testify before the special grand jury, and the former president has hired a criminal defense attorney in Atlanta.

Law enforcement scrutiny of Mr. Trump’s actions is escalating.

Last week, the FBI searched his Florida home as part of an investigation into whether he took classified records from the White House to Mar-a-Lago. He is also facing a civil investigation in New York over accusations that the Trump Organization misled banks and tax authorities about the value of his assets. The Justice Department also is investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters and efforts to overturn the election he claimed was stolen.

Mr. Giuliani, who spread claims of election fraud in Atlanta’s Fulton County as he led efforts to overturn the state’s election results, is to testify Wednesday before a special grand jury impaneled at Ms. Willis’ request.

Also Monday, a federal judge said Sen. Lindsey Graham must testify before the special grand jury. Prosecutors have said they want to ask Mr. Graham about phone calls they say he made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and his staff in the weeks following the election.

Ms. Willis’ investigation was spurred by a phone call between Mr. Trump and Mr. Raffensperger. During that January 2021 conversation, Mr. Trump suggested that Mr. Raffensperger “find” the votes needed to reverse his narrow loss in the state.

In seeking Mr. Giuliani’s testimony, Ms. Willis identifi ed him as both a personal attorney for Mr. Trump and a lead attorney for his campaign. She wrote that he and others appeared at a state Senate committee meeting and presented a video that Mr. Giuliani said showed election workers producing “suitcases” of unlawful ballots from unknown sources, outside the view of election poll watchers.

Within 24 hours of that Dec. 3, 2020, hearing, Mr. Raffensperger’s office had debunked the video. But Mr. Giuliani continued to make statements to the public and in subsequent legislative hearings claiming widespread voter fraud using the debunked video, Ms. Willis wrote.

Evidence shows that Mr. Giuliani’s hearing appearance and testimony were “part of a multi-state, coordinated plan by the Trump Campaign to influence the results of the November 2020 election in Georgia and elsewhere,” her petition says.

Two of the election workers seen in the video, Ruby Freeman and Wandrea “Shaye” Moss, said they faced relentless harassment online and in person after it was shown at a Dec. 3 Georgia legislative hearing where Mr. Giuliani appeared. At another hearing a week later, Mr. Giuliani said the footage showed the women “surreptitiously passing around USB ports as if they are vials of heroin or cocaine.” They actually were passing a piece of candy.

Ms. Willis also wrote in a petition seeking the testimony of attorney Kenneth Chesebro that he worked with Mr. Giuliani to coordinate and carry out a plan to have 16 Georgia Republicans present themselves as the state’s “duly elected and qualified” members of the Electoral College. All 16 have received letters saying they are targets of the investigation, Ms. Willis said in a court filing last month.

Attorneys for Mr. Graham, South Carolina Republican, have argued that his position as a U.S. senator provides him immunity from having to appear before the investigative panel. But U.S. District Judge Leigh Martin May wrote in an order Monday that immunities related to his role as a senator do not protect him from having to testify. Mr. Graham’s subpoena instructs him to appear before the special grand jury on Aug. 23, but his office said Monday he plans to appeal.

Mr. Graham had argued that a provision of the Constitution provides absolute protection against a senator being questioned about legislative acts. But the judge found there are “considerable areas of potential grand jury inquiry” that fall outside that provision’s scope. The judge also rejected Mr. Graham’s argument that the principle of “sovereign immunity” protects a senator from being summoned by a state prosecutor.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DC deep state DOJ lawyers release Barr memo
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2022, 04:20:13 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/doj-releases-memo-behind-barrs-200500468.html

DEMOCRACY MUST BE PRESERVED !

can hardly wait to see the talking CNN MSNBC WP and NYT go off on this for the next week

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
FBI/DOJ go after O'Keefe/Project Veritas over Ashley Biden's diary
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
The Plot Thickens in the Case of Ashley Biden’s Diary

James O'Keefe at the CPAC annual meeting at National Harbor Md., in 2019.(Yuri Gripas/Reuters)
177 Comments
Listen to article
By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY
August 27, 2022 6:30 AM

The DOJ does not agree to guilty pleas and cooperation arrangements with clearly culpable offenders unless it believes more attractive targets can be pursued.

The Justice Department on Thursday announced the guilty pleas of a woman and man in the FBI’s investigation into the theft of a highly personal diary and other items from Ashley Biden, the president’s daughter. The defendants have agreed to cooperate in the continuing probe, in which the major target is clearly Project Veritas (PV), the organization run by James O’Keefe, which does undercover investigative reporting that targets the media-Democrat complex.

The criminal information to which the defendants pled guilty alleges that people connected to Project Veritas (labeled “the Organization” in the charging document) knowingly abetted the theft of Ms. Biden’s property.

The federal investigation appears to have begun in November 2020. A year later, the FBI executed a search warrant at O’Keefe’s home, as well as other sites connected to Project Veritas. As I detailed at the time, the government was investigating the theft from Ms. Biden as an interstate movement of stolen goods (burglary itself is not a federal crime, but transporting theft proceeds across state lines is). PV was publicly known to be implicated in that it had somehow come into possession of the diary. O’Keefe claimed that his organization had learned about it through “tipsters” but opted not to publish it, and ultimately “gave the diary to law enforcement to ensure it could be returned to its rightful owner.”

I observed that, while O’Keefe’s version of events might be accurate, we’d be prudent to suppose he was not telling the whole story. Still, it did not appear that O’Keefe and Project Veritas were suspected of participating in the robbery. The search warrant indicated that they were seen as potentially guilty of accessory after the fact and misprision, meaning they’d learned about the theft and, alternatively, helped the thieves evade apprehension or failed to notify police.

The ramifications of the Justice Department’s pursuing a journalistic enterprise on such theories of criminal liability should have set off alarm bells throughout the press. But in its sting operations, right-leaning Project Veritas frequently targets the left-leaning media. These days partisan tribalism is a higher value than institutional solidarity. The press is thus quite content to see PV in the DOJ’s wringer. Though the basis for investigating PV seemed narrow, the FBI took advantage of it to do a wholesale rummaging through PV’s records, juicy portions of which were then leaked to the New York Times — which, when not publishing tax information purloined from Donald Trump and classified information lawlessly leaked by government officials, is a staunch critic of PV’s methods and is currently defending against an acrimonious defamation lawsuit filed by O’Keefe’s outfit.

The two Floridians who pled guilty on Thursday are 40-year-old Aimee Harris of Palm Beach and 58-year-old Robert Kurlander of Jupiter. Like her half-brother Hunter, Ashley Biden has had a troubled past, dotted with various addictions and run-ins with the law. Not surprisingly, she mostly stayed out of sight while her father was running for president (as, come to think of it, did he). After a 2019 rehab stint in Florida, she moved into a friend’s home in Delray Beach.

She relocated on June 17, 2020, apparently intending to return in the fall, so the friend allowed her to store her property in the home. Days later, the friend allowed Harris, an old acquaintance, to move in temporarily with her two children. The Times reports that Harris was in a bitter custody dispute and dire financial straits. While residing in the Delray Beach home, Harris learned that Biden fille had stayed there and found her property, seizing in particular on the diary.

Harris confided in her friend, Kurlander, about her find and asked for his help in cashing in. They first calculated that the best way to do that was to try to sell the diary to the Trump campaign. The pair thus attended a political fundraiser in Florida on September 6. But they were rebuffed. A Trump campaign representative (not identified in the charging documents) told the conspirators that the campaign had no interest in making a purchase and advised them to turn the diary in to the FBI.

The pair next turned to Project Veritas.

Kurlander made the initial contact on September 10, and a PV employee (not identified, but referred to as “he”) soon advised him and Harris to use an encrypted app for communications purposes. Kurlander did this, sending along photographs of Ashley Biden’s property that Harris had removed from the residence. At Project Veritas’s expense, Harris and Kurlander traveled from Florida to New York (“across state lines” in penal parlance), toting Biden’s diary, along with her digital camera and a storage card containing Biden family photographs.

On September 12, they met at an unidentified Manhattan hotel with the PV employee and someone the charging documents describe as PV “Executive-1.” Importantly, there is also a PV “Executive-2.” Though not present at the September 12 meetings (which included additional discussion over dinner), “Executive-2” is highlighted in the charging documents, and the implication is that Executive-2 is the higher-ranking PV official. Is Executive-2 O’Keefe, Project Veritas’s founder and still its most recognizable official? We don’t know. We do know that the PV employee is alleged to have “repeatedly informed Harris and Kurlander that he was working in consultation with and at the direction of . . . ‘Executive-2’[.]”

At the September 12 meetings, Harris provided the stolen property to PV and described for the PV executive and employee how she had obtained the property, adding that she still had access to the Delray Beach home where more of Biden’s property remained stored. The Justice Department adds that it was at this meeting that it was first “confirmed” in Kurlander’s mind that Harris had stolen these items.

Really? Perhaps. But I surmise that prosecutors insert this implausible detail because they anticipate eventually alleging that PV figures knew the items were stolen. That is, if Harris’s narration was enough to inform Kurlander that the Biden property was stolen, then it must also have been sufficient to inform the PV employee and executive. Ergo, when PV officials subsequently encouraged Harris to obtain more of Biden’s belongings, and then a PV official went to Florida to collect them and ship them to New York, they would have been committing federal felonies.

Beginning September 12, and in the days that followed, the PV employee urged Harris and Kurlander to steal more of Biden’s property. PV paid $10,000 for the diary and other items initially delivered, but the employee indicated that the value of these items to PV would increase if additional Biden belongings were obtained — primarily because that would help bolster the authentication of the diary.

This spawned negotiations between Kurlander and PV because of the “risks” he said Harris and he were taking. They wanted more money. Back in Florida on September 17, Harris and Kurlander proceeded to steal more of Biden’s property: tax documents, clothing, and luggage. The PV employee, meantime, flew to Florida. On September 18, Harris and Kurlander physically delivered Biden’s items to the PV employee in two installments, and the employee shipped them to New York the following day. Between September 18 and October 24, PV paid Harris and Kurlander an additional $40,000.

Again, O’Keefe stresses that PV opted not to publish the diary. Though he insisted that PV made sure that law-enforcement officials got the diary (which was certainly big of PV after apparently paying $50,000 for it), excerpts of the diary were published by a website called Conservative File on October 24 — coincidentally, the same day as the final PV payment to Harris and Kurlander. Conservative File claimed to have gotten the diary from a disgruntled PV whistleblower.

O’Keefe has said that PV tried to return the diary to a lawyer for Ashley Biden but that the attorney would not authenticate it as Biden’s property. At that point, O’Keefe says, PV gave the diary to a law-enforcement agency. He didn’t say which one, but the Times report cited above recounts that in early November 2020, after Election Day, PV arranged to have Ashley Biden’s property taken to the Delray Beach Police Department. A lawyer apparently involved in that delivery is said to have been “captured on video saying the belongings might have been stolen.” The feds got involved when the Delray police contacted the FBI.

The Justice Department does not agree to give guilty pleas with cooperation arrangements to clearly culpable offenders, such as Harris and Kurlander, unless prosecutors believe there are more attractive targets worth making a case against. O’Keefe and Project Veritas have made themselves some powerful enemies over the years. The problem with living dangerously is . . . you make yourself an attractive target.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »
how juicy for the Dem deep state
they have excuse for their shysters to go after PV
as well

and go through all of PVs documents.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Democrat shysters are pissed
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:08 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ruling-lifts-profile-judge-114821582.html

not used to not getting their own way
in the swamp

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: NRO: Bannon is corrupt
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
can't read NR anymore
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »
without subscription

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »
The way I remember SB is that he got dumped by Trump by gossiping with the media that he was the brains behind Trump's victory or something like that and that when he was busted on the fraud charge concerning raising money for The Wall he was on a Chinese billionaire's yacht living large.

Also not seeing much confirmation of his recent accusation of FBI arresting 35 Trump people or something like that.

In short, as far as I know it is entirely possible that there is something to the charge.

=============================== 
Steve Bannon’s Gravy Train Gets Derailed

Former Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon exits the New York Criminal Court after surrendering and attending an arraignment in New York, N.Y., September 8, 2022. (Caitlin Ochs/Reuters)
1226 Comments
Listen to article
By KEVIN D. WILLIAMSON
September 11, 2022 6:30 AM
All kinds of people have flocked to Donald Trump for all kinds of reasons. Bannon did so for the money — and it may be about to cost him, bigly.
The prophetic Idiocracy is a film with many true lines, but the truest of them is: “I like money.”

I like money. You probably like money, too. Most people do. It can’t buy happiness, but it does give you some options. One of my favorite stories involves the secretary to a billionaire businessman in Texas, a job that often required her to accompany the boss on his business travels. It was a family-oriented company, so she often brought her little daughter with her on these overnight trips, meaning that the little girl had, in the first years of her life, flown exclusively on private jets. When it came time to take a regular vacation with the family and fly coach, the girl took in the economy-class scene and asked: “Mommy, is this . . . last class?” Yes, yes it is — but that doesn’t mean you have to like it.

Steve Bannon likes money.

Bannon is facing charges in New York involving fraud at one of the nonprofits he operated, one that supposedly was raising money to help fund a border wall. The case is pretty straightforward: Prosecutors maintain that Bannon and his allies conspired to shift money from one entity to another in order to channel the nonprofit’s funds to a partner, Brian Kolfage, while maintaining the pretense that Kolfage was not being paid for his work. Kolfage and another partner, Andrew Badolato, already have pleaded guilty to fraud charges.

According to the New York Times:

In a December 2018 text message to Mr. Bannon, Mr. Badolato wrote that the claim Mr. Kolfage, who had lost both legs and part of his right arm while serving in Iraq, “will not be paid a dime” would be “the most talked about media narrative ever.”

“But,” he added, “we gotta find an end around to get him stuff.”

Who doesn’t like getting stuff?

TOP STORIES
The Biden Administration Is Engaged in a Massive Censorship Campaign
Neo-Marxing the College Board with AP African American Studies
The Danger from a Wounded Putin
A Touchscreen Is Not a Dashboard; a Knob Is Not a Gear Shift
A New Salvo against the Trump Justice Department
The Left’s Power Shortage
There are many animating spirits in the movement that brought Donald Trump to power in 2016: legitimate frustration at the lack of national action on or responsible Republican attention to immigration and border security; anxiety and disappointment related to what we call, for lack of a better word, “globalization”; nihilism; racism; Jew-hatred; envy; primitivistic wealth-worship; stupidity; ignorance; boredom. But another factor that should not be underestimated — because it remains such a lively influence — is the desire to simply get paid.

In that, Trumpism and anti-Trumpism often are mirror images: For Bannon and his ilk, it’s a payday here and there, a steady stream of surprisingly lucrative grifts of diverse and sundry kinds; for the Lincoln Project, it’s that infamous “generational wealth.” Smaller institutions that are dependent upon a small number of donors — or one big sugar-daddy — are particularly vulnerable to changes in their benefactors’ whims, and if you have paid much attention to the conservative movement and conservative media, you’ve seen a few formerly sober-minded men take off the bow tie, put on the red cap, and bark at the moon. That isn’t the only reason people change their stripes: Tucker Swanson McNear Carlson doesn’t need the money. Accounting for the opportunity cost, former ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson’s 14 months as secretary of state probably cost him more money than most of us will earn in a lifetime. Not everybody does it for the money.

More on
STEVE BANNON

Steve Bannon Charged with Money Laundering, Conspiracy in Border-Wall Scam
New York’s Bannon Indictment: Is Politicized Prosecution the Tonic for Pardon Abuse?
Trump Grants Clemency to Bannon, 142 Others on Eve of Inauguration
Steve Bannon, though? That guy does it for the money.

I don’t mind people getting paid. But I mind the fraud. I mind the lies. I detest the sanctimony.

And I’m also not a very big fan of the incompetence, either.

If you’ll forgive me for noticing, these guys aren’t actually very good at this stuff. I follow this world pretty closely, and, best I can tell, far from becoming “the most talked about media narrative ever,” the false claims that Brian Kolfage wasn’t being paid for his work on behalf of Bannon’s nonprofit escaped public notice almost entirely. The only reason most people will ever remember Kolfage now is that he was a central player in this fraud case. These so-called masterminds and media manipulators talk about themselves as though they are a little platoon of Machiavellis, but they kind of suck at politics. They won a surprise victory in 2016, and then lost . . . everything: the House, the Senate, the presidency. Joe Biden is Hillary Rodham Clinton minus about 45 IQ points, and he unseated Donald Trump — an incumbent president — while campaigning mostly from home.

Trump’s denials of the legitimacy of the 2020 election are the usual weak man’s vain need to fortify his ego against the reality of failure, but the Bannons of the world live only to keep the gravy train going: If they admit that the 2020 coalition and effort were a losing coalition and a losing effort, then Republicans are going look for something else next time around. The fiction of the stolen 2020 election is basically marketing copy for the campaign to keep getting Steve Bannon paid.

Brian Kolfage could go to prison for as long as 20 years — over $350,000. Spread the payday over the possible sentence and that’s only $17,500 a year — less than you’d make working a full-time minimum-wage job in Ohio. I get that these guys like money. But aren’t they a little embarrassed at selling themselves so cheap?