Author Topic: Gov. Ron DeSantis  (Read 20425 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Ron DeSantis
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2023, 06:31:08 AM »
Desantis to debate Newsom I read

hope he analyzes Newsom's slickness and is ready to counter it and pick it apart.
and not just make a broad proclamation about Florida is attracting people vs California the opposite.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2023, 08:00:49 AM »
Update: Oops, ccp already got to this.
https://firehydrantoffreedom.com/index.php?topic=2781.msg161603#msg161603
----------
While the hurricanes of Hunter, Joe, Jack Smith and Trump blow theough, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has agreed to debate California Gov. Gavin Newsom, "just tell me when and where".

Anybody who thinks this bizarre 2024 race between octogenarians Biden and Trump, a criminal versus a defendant, isn't going to have more twists and turns in it with more than a year to go is kidding themselves.

The DeSantis campaign is (allegedly) in a tailspin, the margin Trump leads him by has been growing with each indictment, 76 charges so far. He's had to lay off staff and his campaign financiers are holding back money. Yet he stays in. Why?

It's because he may have the best chance of winning.

He isn't drawing giant crowds to giant stadiums and isn't the orator that Trump apparently is. But who else is? I haven't seen a full stadium chanting Gavin either (or Vivek or Doug Bergum or RFKjr).

The race sure to be Trump v Biden may well be DeSantis versus Newsom and it looks like we are about to get a preview.

There are a lot of great states in the Union, but for Democrats the showcase is California (or NY) and for Republicans it is Florida (or Texas).

DeSantis is betting his career on this appearance. Even if the audience turns out to be small, clips and tidbits will come out of this, talking points for both sides.

I'm not familiar with Newsom other than his policies, but know he he is a highly skilled advocate and defender of Leftism. He is the one to beat, more so than Biden or Harris (or Bobby Jr).Both states are amazing places but their current governance and trend lines are opposite.

If DeSantis shows up unprepared, he will get slaughtered.

My prediction is they will both skillfully present their own case in its best light. Democrats will like Newsom and Republicans will like DeSantis.  The facts on the ground support Republican governance over the period these two have been in office and that will hopefully win over independents over the course of the campaign.

DeSantis showing he could beat the best of Democrats, using his record and governing philosophy could eventually win over Republicans - even if it is only if Trump falls.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:04:16 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2023, 08:09:55 AM »
"DeSantis showing he could beat the best of Democrats, using his record and governing philosophy could eventually win over Republicans - even if it is only if Trump falls."

And I would add *independents* which Trump CANNOT do.

Trump  is at his ceiling of ~ 45 % at best - a formula for us to lose.

As we have noted along with other prominent opinions besides myself :)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2023, 08:48:13 AM »
The decision to debate Newsome is very good.  High click bait potential for the gladiatorial aspect of it all, and a chance for DeSantis to show what he can do without the complexities of wooing Trump voters with annoying them or pandering to them and annoying independents.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2023, 09:05:01 AM »
did he really say this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/desantis-calls-for-slitting-throats-in-government-escalating-rhetoric/ar-AA1eL3SJ

one sentence , one line almost down to one word gets taken out of context and blared all over the media airwaves and then they focus on this and ignore everything else

of course the usual fake news will be talking about this for 5 % of the time for next few days while 94% will be Trump stuff.

1% on ukraine, and climate change, woke , gender etc

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2023, 10:31:31 AM »
I think he meant figuratively.   )

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2023, 05:55:19 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/08/07/desantis-plan-strengthen-us-economy-middle-class/70521175007/

The DeSantis plan sounds just right to me.

Two criteria, who can win and who can get the right things done if they win. My take is that DeSantis is the best choice on both counts. Trump is no doubt flashier. Trump is more well known. Trump had amazing accomplishments as president but in general is a divider.  DeSantis is a better team builder.  DeSantis has a better record of keeping his focus.

Ironically, Trump proved this can't be done in one term, and Trump is only eligible for one term.

Trump started with a Republican House and Senate and ended with losing that, not all his fault but partly. DeSantis has a record of building support for his policies and his administration.

For a young candidate, DeSantis has an excellent background for the job, military experience, higher education, served in Congress and second term governor.  No one new to the job is perfectly positioned to be President of the United States, Commander in Chief, but this is close to the best background credentials a person can have coming into it. He may lack private sector experience, but he seems to have a strong understanding that the private sector is the engine of growth.

Trump's best bet for getting his pardons would be for a Republican to win the White House, end the Trump distraction and remake the agencies. In the end, Trump should support DeSantis.

A little bit tongue in cheek, but I'm glad the santis is not peaking too early in the campaign. He doesn't deserve widespread nationwide support until he earns it.

Both Trump and DeSantis are bold, but in this campaign, Trump hesitates to debate Republican challengers because he is a front-runner, and DeSantis, without hesitation or any need to do so, agrees to debate the top guy on the other side, Gavin Newsom.

Newsome OTOH said he needed one day notice to debate to Santa's. DeSantis agreed and now Newsome said he needed 3 months to get ready.  Not exactly bold, he is taking his timing from the Biden handlers.  Not exactly a California outsider, Nancy's and nephew will take his orders from the same backstage regime.

As they say when things are about to get interesting, pass the popcorn.

I'm ready to send my first donation.  This is not about them. It's about us.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 06:23:37 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:18:11 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2023, 12:28:14 PM »
Ron can't get break not only from Left wing media

but not even right wing

another Breitbart hit.....

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
The use of quotes, wrongly
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:03 AM »
It is one thing when the press inadvertently
take a quote out of context but when it is done on purpose

of Trump will do it too to Ron.

I don't recall Ron taking Trump quotes out of context....

Yes, usually nice guys finish last in politics (look at Romney , Mc Cain)

I recall with dismay my quote being taken out of context in 1983. 
I was flown to Newark NJ from SC airforce base from Grenada.

I was met at the airport by a local reporter who was running up to us asking our views of Grenada invasion.

One wanted to interview me at my home later.  Or perhaps he called us later I don't quite recall.

He from the city newspaper and later one from the Newark Star Ledger came to my house and interviewed me as a home town witness to the invasion.

At one point I remember perfectly clearly I said , " once the US soldiers came and rescued us I was not scared"

MY goal was to thank the US military and give them credit for courage and the sense of pride that they helped US citizens abroad.  I know the real purpose of the invasion was not the medical students but to prevent the Cubans from using an airstrip for their military advantage.

Yet, I saw with dismay the quote in the newspaper was among other things, printed as " I was not scared"

Taken out of the full quote made it appear I was boasting about courage I did not have instead of giving credit to the soldiers who earned it.

I can honestly say I was not particularly brave and of course was in shock and fear when while standing on our landlords porch on the hillside and seeing a helicopter wing around from behind the  hill and whiz past us right before our eyes , and seeing two Grenadians who appeared to be all of about 16 years old holding AK 47s I certainly was intimidated.

How would I fight back ?  Throw heavy medical books at them?

Yes it is one thing when quotes are taken out of context or misquoted by accidental mistake, but when taken out of context the whole meaning can be changed, masked or reversed.

Sickening when this is done on purpose......

:x

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kurt Schlichter likes DeSantis' chances
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2023, 05:59:19 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/08/14/column-n2626931
--------------------

Kurt's arguments overlap what I wanted to say about how DeSantis can still win.  A number of things have to come together,  and why wouldn't they?

For DeSantis to win the nomination, something has to change in the Trump Biden matchup.

Age related health is just one elephant in the room. Trump is pushing 80. Biden will be 86 as he finishes his second term.  We saw him falling apart in his late 70s (and he wasn't real bright to begin with).  Everybody knows Joe Biden won't make it to the end of a second term.  Will he make it to the beginning?

If it's Biden who steps out while healthy or has an age related setback, that changes the dynamic of the race for Trump and his challengers.

Trump could have something stick on any one of these legal quagmires, or just look bad. 76 felony charges, oops more today, almost all bs, but if any guilt shines through on any charge, the race changes.

Some 53% of voters will never vote for Trump.  Many Trump primary voters are unaffected by that but it's early.  As we get closer to the decision date, winning the general election matters.

Also in the Trump Biden dynamic is the 3rd party candidate certainty.  Even if that  hurts Biden more, if (when) Biden bows out, that changes the Republican race.  DeSantis is already fighting with Newsom. That is a good matchup for him.  Funny that Newsom wanted a November debate after he said he only needed one day notice. I wonder what Newsom already knows about the schedule.  If Biden drops out and Kamala and Newsom both jump in, Newsom will need the exposure as well.  If not, why is he doing it, and backing out looks weak.

Now look at everyone else's chances.  Only two people are in an equal or better position right now, three if you count Newsom. 

Biden has a corruption scandal closing in on him (plus can't walk or talk) and has a bad record as incumbent. 

Trump has distractions galore, could make a new mistake, could have an old mistake exposed, age already mentioned, but his biggest vulnerability for the nomination is his ceiling of support in the general election.  The tie goes to the Democrat and he isn't polling better than a tie even with a corrupt, diminished, failed opponent.

Newsom would have to defend his own failed record,  a failed governing philosophy that belongs in the trash heap of history, and defend Biden's failed record too.  His fresh face defense of it will not mask the fact that we've heard it all before and it doesn't work.

The crazy things DeSantis needs to happen to be President are already in motion.  He needs to do the hard work and inch his support up a day at a time in the early contest states.  The rest may take care of itself.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:23:40 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2023, 08:23:55 AM »
just thinking what the landscape would be if Trump suddenly dies

all the wind would be taken out of the DNC hot air

they would be left with trying to tie the Republican to Trump

but this would allow us to make the case more on policy

I would welcome this frankly

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ron D.
« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2023, 05:52:59 AM »
He is still my first choice by far.

But he cannot catch a break.

He is being chopped up by both the LEFT - which obviously wants the candidate to be Trump
and selfish Trump who happily obliges.

Hard to imagine the Republicans will nominate the person who probably has the least chance of beating a demented lying old mediocore politician who reads his lines provided from Obama marxists.

But that is what we are facing at this point.

Actually I don't know who else I could support
The guy from ND sound interesting and I want to hear more from him.

Vivek while has good ideas I just can't see making him President of the US .

I like Nikki - she is competent and qualified but , yes , a bit of a rhino

Cristy is out.
Huthinson is a joke and I don't know he even got into the debate

Pence would be ok but cannot win.

DeSanits is still the best choice other than the BIG loser .

We have to be going into the election up at least by a couple of % not even because we know the election will be rigged .

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
2nd post
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2023, 06:03:34 AM »
Come to think of it, I cannot recall a SINGLE article, post, or presentation recently that presents a positive view about anything Ron has said .

Everything is negative from all sides clearly contributing to his fall in the polls.
A vicious cycle.

Do we ever hear a positive excerpt about ANYTHING he has said.

Everything is taken out of context and posted to make him look bad.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: Gov. Ron DeSantis
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2023, 06:21:12 AM »
According to this piece Vivek was a pro masker:

===========================

Ron DeSantis, American liberator

Florida governor is the one candidate who can save our country

By Steve Cortes

America needs a political savior. Why? Because citizens of the United States rightly recognize that we are losing our country, and fast. Indeed, the trajectory and speed of the current decline intensify materially.

But perhaps not enough Americans have also come to terms with the true stakes of the current election cycle. A failure to reclaim the levers of power by November 2024 will imperil our republic in ways that are likely irreversible.

Just how depressed are Americans? Well, consider that a staggering 78% of citizens do not believe that their children will have better lives in the future. That number marks the worst pessimism ever recorded in a Wall Street Journal/University of Chicago survey that goes back over three decades.

The same study found that only 17% of Americans describe their current financial condition as better than expected for this stage in their life.

Given this gloom, perhaps it is unsurprising that the percentage of Americans reporting that having children is “very important” declined from 60% in 1998 to just 30% in 2023.

Patriotic sentiment similarly collapsed over the last 25 years. In 1998, 70% of Americans regarded patriotism as “very important,” but now, only 38% do. Even the leftist Washington Post bemoaned this meltdown in patriotism as “jarring.”

This malaise over the land flows directly from the unholy alliance that increasingly plunges America into an oligarchic rule that abuses the rights and prerogatives of regular citizens.

Specifically, the fusion of the political left with ruling-class power brokers of big business, media and academia creates a country with a crumbling standard of living for ordinary workers concurrent with soaring benefits for the credentialed, entitled elitists.

To smash this corrupt system requires a political liberator of unparalleled character, rare intellect and steely discipline. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is that leader. How do we know? Because he has already taken on the most powerful interests in America … and won.

As a former military officer, the only one in the presidential field, he brings the determination and doggedness of a true warrior to the political and cultural battlefields. Mr. DeSantis, unlike blustering, loud-talking politicians who merely entertain right-wing voters, delivers real policy wins over the pernicious forces of political repression and cultural Marxism.

For example, he took on Dr. Anthony Fauci and the Washington public health bureaucracy in 2020 when they exploited the virus as a pretext to inflict tyranny on Americans, especially children. Not only did Mr. DeSantis tell Washington to pound sand, but he also stood strongly against the corrupt media, which howled in protest that he dared to stop unscientific and illegal lockdowns and mandates.

More recently, Mr. DeSantis has punched back at abusive corporate conglomerates, from Bud Light to BlackRock. He pledges to bring that approach to the national stage, where large companies, especially Big Tech companies, use inordinate market share and political power to preclude real competition and infect America with toxic cultural pollution.

Mr. DeSantis will protect employees from the indignities of bigoted diversity, equity and inclusion programs. He will also repel corporate attempts to invade parental rights, especially regarding radical education indoctrination and the sexualization of children.

In all these instances, it becomes increasingly evident that our leftist political opponents today represent a true threat to the American way of life. These 2020s radicals are not your parents’ and grandparents’ Democrats. Instead, these nihilists reject the inherent goodness of our country, vaporize the sovereignty of our nation-state’s border, disrespect Godgiven inherent rights, and even deny the existence of the two sexes. As such, knowing what time it is in America, in this cycle voters can show no patience for mere political posturing or media bloviating. Nor should GOP voters countenance the antics of fake conservatives like Vivek Ramaswamy, who has never been a Republican, defended COVID-19 lockdown abuses like masks and wants to substantially increase immigration into America.

Likewise, voters should reject slick entreaties of Sen. Tim Scott, the establishment toady who played footsie with “defund the police” madness following the Black Lives Matter riots of summer 2020 across the country.

Instead, Republican voters must identify and elevate an intrepid political liberator — a leader who understands the gravity of the moment, embraces the full scope of the battle, and demonstrates the character traits necessary to deliver restoration.

Only such a leader can save America from this present peril. As I believe he will demonstrate at the Milwaukee debate, only Ron DeSantis deserves the full faith of voters — because he can both win and then implement the patriotic populist agenda to save our republic

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Hurricane Ron DeSantis
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2023, 03:31:24 PM »
Hurricane Ron DeSantis
If he can do the executive job, maybe his skill at small talk is immaterial.
By
The Editorial Board
Follow
Aug. 31, 2023 6:10 pm ET

Ron DeSantis spent Thursday visiting rural Florida counties hit by Hurricane Idalia, and during his morning news update the Governor was in command of the details. “As of 6 a.m. today,” he said, “there are approximately 146,000 power outages reported across the state,” but thousands of borrowed linemen were at work, and 420,000 accounts had already been restored.

As of the night before, Mr. DeSantis said, authorities had done about 40 successful rescues. “All state bridges, including the Cedar Key Bridge, have been cleared, and that happened within 12 hours of landfall,” he added. Schools? “Thirty of the 52 districts that closed during the storm are open today, and an additional eight will be open tomorrow.” Fuel, water, tarps? “All that stuff we have an abundance of, and we’ll be providing that as needed.”

The driving winds in Florida’s Big Bend region were enough to rip off roofs and topple a gas-station canopy. Yet worse appears to have been avoided because Idalia hit mostly rural areas, after a forecast of its path that Mr. DeSantis called “pretty doggone accurate.” The contrast is with Hurricane Ian last year, which was predicted to hit the Big Bend but veered into Fort Myers and killed about 150 Americans.

Mr. DeSantis received high marks for his handling of that disaster, in particular after the state Transportation Department made swift emergency repairs to two bridges the storm damaged, stranding thousands of residents.

Hurricane Idalia cleanup isn’t over, and perhaps there will be hiccups. But if there aren’t, we’ll know it by what we don’t read in the national press. The Governor will get no credit for success.

This seems to be Mr. DeSantis in his element, examining the figures, the emergency response plans, the Covid-19 statistics, and then synthesizing it into government policy. Everyone knows an introvert like this, and the flip side of the personality type is that Mr. DeSantis, now a 2024 presidential candidate, has proved less than adept at making small talk with Iowans.

There’s a reason that at least some Republican voters have preferred to nominate governors, who have executive experience, over legislators, whose basic job description is to spend three hours orating followed by one minute voting. Using the bully pulpit effectively is important for a President, but so is dragging better policy out of a vast federal bureaucracy that views a Republican in the Oval Office as a temporary hostile occupying power.

A question to ponder is whether today’s soundbite-driven primaries are selecting for the qualities that Republicans, and Americans, really want in a President. This is one slice of the case for Mr. DeSantis’s candidacy, despite his recent struggles. His competitors might have a better 15-second retort to the 30-second drive-by at the debate. But could they get the bridge open?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2023, 05:49:14 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2023, 09:00:05 AM »
that would fix things fast.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Ron DeSantis on Agriculture
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2023, 09:22:13 PM »
Governor DeSantis has a current article published at Des Moines register which I cannot get into without subscribing. This article has some extended quotes from it.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/633653-desantis-iowa-farmers/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2023, 02:56:13 AM »
IMHO the appeal to ethanol is a pander, as understandable as that may be.

BTW I remember Ted Cruz impressing me in the 2016 Iowa primary campaign having a one-on-one convo with an Iowa farmer and actually changing his mind on ethanol.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2023, 05:47:53 AM »
"IMHO the appeal to ethanol is a pander, as understandable as that may be."

Yes but the alternative is to make ethanol the big fight and concede Iowa to Trump.

There are bigger fights and ethanol additives and E15 and E85 products are already part of the economy.  I don't see him promising to expand it.

"BTW I remember Ted Cruz impressing me in the 2016 Iowa primary campaign having a one-on-one convo with an Iowa farmer and actually changing his mind on ethanol.

Yes.  That was Sen. Cruz, not Pres. Cruz.    :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2023, 05:55:54 AM »
"Yes.  That was Sen. Cruz, not Pres. Cruz."

Zang!

:-D :-D :-D

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2023, 06:23:56 AM »
In Schoen's book he has chapter on Ted Cruz commenting positively on Ted Cruz's political savvy in chapter titled 'You have to give, to get"

Ted was bashed by Trump as lyin Ted during the '16 primaries, but Ted is savvy enough to come out and support become a huge supporter of Trump after he dropped out and Trump won.

NO indication would do the same for someone else I note

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
trying to tarnish Ron D with "naziism"
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2023, 08:36:36 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/neo-nazis-gloat-florida-becomes-140000174.html

scroll down to the United States:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism

The National Socialist Movement is the largest "Neo Nazi " group in 32 states with , get this 400 members

so the idea they are exploding in numbers is not true.

so there were 40 at this rally
up 196% states the hit piece

so they went from ~ 13 to 40 .  does not sound like real threat to me
though of course I hate them and worth keeping eye on them
and Trump should not come out and exclaim some are good people or something like that

they are not the as big a threat we keep hearing from ADL and. SPLC etc.
I still more anti semitism from the LEFT .

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2023, 08:39:28 AM »
I have not gotten a booster recently

and simply do not see any clear reason to get one

I get flu shots usually to reduce chance of more serious flu infection

I am not clear what the new vaccines do or don't do
no studies

All we hear is covid is still a risk and people are still dying

but do the vaccines work anymore?

I don't see any evidence they do .

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Ron DeSantis, end border crisis
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2023, 07:57:01 PM »
https://x.com/RonDeSantis/status/1703092711476052068?s=20

outline the way to end the (border) crisis once and for all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 10:38:42 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
take on the cartels
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2023, 09:43:47 AM »
thumbs up

we need to resurrect General Pershing and send him down there to put a stop to this.

not sure how we would take them on
wouldn't we have to be able to go into Mexico to do so?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2023, 09:55:42 AM »
IMO going into Mexico would be a grave error.

It would require legal declarations that would make it harder to stop refugees from asserting the right to come in.

It would ignite fierce Mexican nationalism.

We would not know who was whom and operations would be giant fusterclucks.

Enforce our laws, enforce our borders (shooting as necessary those who would so dispute), deport illegals.  Period.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2023, 10:06:45 AM »
your probably right

it would be a bloody mess

civilians would be used as hostages

etc

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2023, 05:30:11 AM »
I've been taking in the comments on DeSantis and having similar thoughts of my own.  He is a smart guy, I like to think he has a plan. Same for Nikki Haley, the only other Trump challenger who seems to have a chance.

Headlines counting RD out seem like the type that so often come back to bite.

If I were him being questioned about his lack of upward momentum in the polls, I would note that a solid and consistent third place in a presidential race one year out isn't a bad position when the majority of people strongly want it to be someone other than the first two.

For DeSantis, some major dynamic in the race has to change, and there are plenty of possibilities. 

Joe Biden has precarious health and $10 million untaxed 'family income's to explain, plus a 37% approval and a country with declining real incomes and skyrocketing costs that are all on him..

Trump has 87 potential felonies against him, or is it more now?  Most are worse than BS but if one is real and sticks with the public, not just a biased jury, he would lose all independents and half his own party.  Plus he sees it all as personal and the country sees a bigger picture.

The DeSantis Newsom debate could be a game changer as well, if it happens.  People might see what they already know, that Biden and Trump are not the best path forward for either party.  Neither is articulating a vision and both are eligible for just one term.

A serious third party challenge could be a game changer.

An abortion, they say 6 weeks but he says heartbeat.  6 weeks seems too soon to know much.  Heartbeat means something else is involved.  I don't want a national standard that will just be struck down.  All we wanted all along was for it to be sent back to the states.  He needs to make that clear even if it means changing a flawed, earlier position.

If every abortion advocate political dollar went instead toward transportation for these pregnant women burdened with a baby in an abortion restrictive state, you could send them the long way around the world to the next state over to have their baby killed and removed with money to spare.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:51:57 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Fox better not be stupid enough to waste time on the WP poll
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2023, 06:11:03 AM »
I hope the moderators in tomorrow's debate are not stupid enough to take the bait and start asking the candidates about the recent WP poll.

Indeed, they should not be asking questions about any polls unless candidate(s) raises the issue.

I don't want to hear them discuss why WP has them way behind the Donald, and Donald is way ahead of Biden (who will NOT be the nominee anyway).

I want to hear candidates  outline their platforms.

I fear the Fox dupes will take the bait and waste time
raising dumb ass questions like :

We have heard about this WP poll that has DJT 10 points above Biden. Do you have any comments about this?

If this continues do you plan to drop out?
Will you support DJT if he is the nominee?
etc etc

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Fox better not be stupid enough to waste time on the WP poll
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2023, 06:47:19 AM »
I strongly agree ccp.  The debate purpose is to find out what these people would do if given the chance.  The horse race aspect should outside of the 90 minutes on stage.

I never did get to see the first debate.  It should be the first link at gop.org, still.  (A link that won't come up for me.). The media owns our public discourse?  Why doesn't public television carry it?  Not in the public interest?  The party sold the exclusive rights to the highest bidder?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gov. Ron DeSantis vs. Newsom
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2023, 07:57:12 AM »
A BFD IMHO that DeSantis and Newsome are going to debate on FOX in late November.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Ron DeSantis vs. Newsom
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2023, 09:03:02 AM »
A BFD IMHO that DeSantis and Newsome are going to debate on FOX in late November.

From Steve Moore, CTUP:
THIS Is a Debate We Can’t Wait To Watch!
Finally, a really smart move by Ron DeSantis. DeSantis has been an A++ governor and he has turned Florida into the fastest growing state in the country with low taxes, school choice, right-to-work laws, record low unemployment, and businesses from blue-state America stampeding in.

FOX News Channel’s Sean Hannity will moderate a red vs. blue state debate between Florida Gov. and Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis and Democrat California Gov. Gavin Newsom, FOX News Media announced Monday.

The 90-minute event will air at 9 p.m. ET on Nov. 30 in Georgia, marking the first time the two prominent governors will face off in a debate.

It is important for Americans to watch this debate. We are two nations today – red states and blue states. Florida is the showcase of red-state prosperity. California is the epitome of blue state decline. Be careful, because Newsom is a slick talker – reminiscent of Bill Clinton. But no slick-talking is going to explain how California has lost three million people – and is now the nation’s capital for the homeless, criminals, and drug users. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:17:51 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
DeSantis - Newsom
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2023, 09:57:34 AM »
Interesting.

Newsom appeared on CNN with Dana Bash , msdnc with Maddow and Fox with Sean for his opinion on the debate (of course he states "Biden" won  :roll: :wink:)

He is gave opinions on his California immigration policy, energy inflation etc
He is clearly slick but I could see multiple ways to take his slick answers and turn them inside out and reveal deceit and overt lying

I would like to think Ron and team are studying this and preparing good answers .

I would have liked Sean to answer Gavin , when he states the US is producing more oil then ever with , yes and that is solely because the US (likely ) blew up the Nordstream and then promised Europe we would provide them  the needed oil which is apparently what we are doing.

NOTICE WE NEVER HEARD SO FAR AS A PEEP FROM THE EUROS ANY ANGER AT US (LIKELY) BLOWING UP NORDSTREAM
THE BIDEN ADMIN. MUST HAVE MADE A SECRET DEAL WITH THEM

WE BLOW UP YOUR LIFELINE TO GET YOU OFF OF RUSSIAN GAS ETC. AND WE REDUCE MONEY GOING TO THE RUSKIS AND IN RETURN WE PROMISE TO GET YOU THE NEEDED OIL.

OTHERWISE HOW COME THE EUROS DID NOT SEEM TO MAKE A FUSS ABOUT IT.
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IF SOME EURO COUNTRY BLEW UP OUR ALASKA PIPELINE?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2023, 01:37:22 AM »
The Two Sides of Ron DeSantis on National Security
He’s right about the need for a bigger Navy, but he’s still fudging on Ukraine.
By
The Editorial Board
Follow
Oct. 6, 2023 6:43 pm ET

Ron DeSantis has struggled as a GOP presidential candidate. And he hasn’t helped himself by getting stuck in a Donald Trump loop on Ukraine, even as he is selling himself as the candidate with the mettle to deter the Chinese Communist Party.
OPINION: POTOMAC WATCH
WSJ Opinion Potomac Watch

On Friday on CNBC the Governor was asked to clarify his position on Ukraine, after these pages suggested he was ducking the real questions and opposing a “blank check” that no one is offering.

“First of all,” he said, “they have done a blank check. When you’re having U.S. tax dollars fund the pensions and salaries of Ukrainian bureaucrats,” that “is a blank check, especially when we have so many problems here in the United States.”

He’s ostensibly talking about economic aid to Ukraine, and the Governor may have missed that the European Union is moving forward with a multiyear €50 billion fund for Ukraine’s economy. This refutes the canard that Europe isn’t chipping in. But because European militaries are weak, the U.S. will have to shoulder more of the weapons burden for Ukraine to have a chance of defeating Russia.

Gov. DeSantis and Republicans in Congress could argue that further aid should focus on lethality—donating long-range missiles at scale and revving up production lines for long-range fires. Try listening to Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton. But the “blank check” line is cover for a deeper GOP confusion on Ukraine. The $300 million for Ukraine that more than 100 House Republicans voted to strip out of a spending bill recently was marked for a fund procuring American equipment and ammo.

The fundamental question for Republicans is whether they’re going to abandon Ukraine the way the Democrats did Vietnam, and demonstrate to Mr. Putin and Xi Jinping that the Americans won’t back their friends in a fight. That won’t deter Beijing, which Mr. DeSantis called one of his core priorities in the second GOP debate.

In better news, this week Mr. DeSantis said that as President he’d aim to grow the U.S. Navy to 355 ships to counter China’s extraordinary naval buildup. He deserves credit for endorsing this priority, which could be a down payment on a larger agenda of peace through strength. Most Americans understand you can’t claim to be tough on China while letting its ally in the Kremlin triumph in Europe.

Mr. DeSantis’s Ukraine position has cost him politically because it shows a lack of conviction and fear of crossing the GOP’s isolationist right. It also neutralized a rich line of attack against Mr. Biden, who has been painstakingly slow to arm the Ukrainians—and against Mr. Trump, who has offered voters zero substantive thinking on Ukraine and didn’t do enough to prepare the U.S. military against the growing threat from China.

Mr. DeSantis might also ponder what the world would look like if he makes it to the White House after the U.S. abandons Ukraine. He won’t want to inherit a world with Mr. Putin victorious and American allies looking to cut deals with Russia and China. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2023, 06:16:27 PM »
Was on one of the FOX opinion shows the other night (Laura?) and spoke thoughtfully about Ukraine-- an area of concern I have had about him.

Roughly-- It is a stalemate-- we can recognize it now or five years from now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Gov. Ron DeSantis and Foreign Policy
« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »

DeSantis Isn’t at Home Abroad
The governor is strong on domestic policy, but is he up to the challenge of a suddenly menacing world?
By
Barton Swaim
Follow
Oct. 22, 2023 4:10 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(7 min)

Republican presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis participates in a campaign event at Anderson University in Anderson, S.C., Oct. 19. PHOTO: ERIK S LESSER/SHUTTERSTOCK
Murrells Inlet, S.C.

Richard Nixon was famously bored by domestic policy. “I’ve always thought the country could run itself domestically without a president,” he once told an interviewer. “All you need is a competent cabinet to run the country at home. You need a president for foreign policy.” Ron DeSantis might say the opposite. Ask him any question on domestic policy and he can offer a seminar. Foreign policy clearly bores him. 

His book, “The Courage to Be Free,” treats the major issues of his years as Florida’s governor—crime, education, corporate activism, public health—with technical mastery and rhetorical sophistication. His few remarks on foreign affairs suggest a need for intellectual cloture. He calls George W. Bush’s foreign policy “Wilsonianism on steroids.” When Mr. Bush said in his Second Inaugural that “the survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands,” Mr. DeSantis, then 27, reports asking himself: “Does the survival of American liberty depend on whether liberty succeeds in Djibouti?”

As a presidential candidate, he has talked more about what the U.S. shouldn’t be doing than what it should. Hamas’s invasion of Israel made that approach impracticable. Nikki Haley, who has emerged as Mr. DeSantis’s chief rival for the coveted position of Donald Trump’s leading challenger, likely benefits most from the sudden salience of foreign policy. She was United Nations ambassador for two years, and unlike most U.N. ambassadors performed memorably.

On a swing last week through South Carolina—which holds its primary on Feb. 24—Mr. DeSantis began every talk by discussing Israel, although he mostly confined himself to points of domestic significance: the media’s perfidy in falsely characterizing an explosion in a Gaza hospital as an Israeli attack, the threat of terrorists’ crossing the U.S. southern border, the unwisdom of “importing” Gaza refugees.

Mr. DeSantis believes the greatest threat to U.S. national security is China. On Thursday at Anderson University, he acknowledged that the war in Israel could inflame the Middle East, and that the “conflict in Europe”—he prefers not to say “Ukraine”—could expand westward. But “we have one true global threat to this country, and that is the Chinese Communist Party.” Yet even his discussion of the Chinese threat had mainly to do with homeland policies: barring the Chinese government from purchasing U.S. land, “disentangling” the American and Chinese economies.

Mr. DeSantis is a gifted rhetorician. There are few domestic-policy questions on which he isn’t prepared to give a coherent multipart answer. Only on foreign policy does he rely on ham-fisted conventional-wisdom talking points.

At a Thursday town hall in Rock Hill, a questioner asked why the governor had said in March that aiding Ukraine in its war with Russia was strategically unimportant. Mr. DeSantis interrupted with a correction: What he said was that it was of “secondary or tertiary” importance. (The questioner had it right. In a response to a candidate survey from Tucker Carlson, Mr. DeSantis wrote that “while the U.S. has many vital national interests . . . becoming further entangled in a territorial dispute between Ukraine and Russia is not one of them.”)

Mr. DeSantis then told the questioner that President Biden has given Ukraine a “blank check”—the most shopworn metaphor in this debate—and that “a lot of Republican senators don’t articulate, you know, how do you have an endgame in a conflict?” He went on: “Because what they’re doing is not gonna get where their rhetoric is. . . . Look, some of our Republican senators, they want to bomb everywhere. That’s their view.”

Later that night, in an onstage interview at a gathering of Republican women in Rock Hill, Mr. DeSantis was asked about aid to Israel. “We support their right to defend themselves,” he said. “But it’s their war, it’s not our war.” Part of what he meant was that the U.S. shouldn’t constrain Israel’s response. He’s right about that. But had he forgotten that Hamas murdered Americans on Oct. 7, and that some of the hostages now held by Hamas are Americans?

As for the war in Ukraine, Mr. DeSantis recited the usual objection: “They haven’t put a clear objective to it. It’s kind of a stalemate.” That’s true as far as it goes, but the result of that haphazard policy is that the Russian military is grinding itself to dust in Ukraine.

To be fair, avoiding substantive discussions of foreign policy may be the smarter political play. The GOP is badly divided on the Ukraine question; most voters don’t hold strong, consistent views on foreign policy; and campaign positions are often overtaken by events, both before and after the election.

On Friday morning, some 300 people crammed into a small VFW in Murrells Inlet, south of Myrtle Beach. Some were turned away, as per fire-marshal regulations. Mr. DeSantis was running more than an hour late, so I had time to canvas listeners on why they’d come. About half said they supported Mr. Trump, chiefly because prosecutors had targeted him so relentlessly that to vote against him didn’t feel right. “He’s been needled over and over,” one woman said. “It’s wrong, and I just think I can’t let them do that.” Her presence at a DeSantis event, though, suggested her mind wasn’t made up.

Mr. DeSantis spoke for nearly an hour and took questions for another 30 minutes. Ukraine didn’t come up. Nobody asked what he’d do if China invaded Taiwan on his watch. They asked about woke companies, rogue school boards, DEI and prosecutors backed by George Soros. Mr. DeSantis, standing on a dais in his usual blue suit, tieless white shirt and black cowboy boots, kept the room rapt.

On the way out, the woman who’d spoken of prosecutors needling Donald Trump grabbed my elbow. “I’ve changed my vote,” she said. “That was incredible.” Another person said the same, in almost the same words.

Mr. DeSantis’s impatience with foreign policy may alienate some donor-class friends. I find it frustrating. But I wouldn’t discount his ability to talk uncommitted voters into joining his side. You need a president for foreign policy, as Nixon said, but Ron DeSantis’s message—that he’s done it in Florida and he can do it in Washington—may hold more appeal than simple poll questions can foretell.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hugh Hewitt with Gov. Ron DeSantis this morning
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2023, 06:05:03 PM »