• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tucker Putin
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2024, 06:21:11 AM »
I listened to 3/4 of the interview.

Very long slog but had definite moments of interest.

Yes Putin controls the interview.  Yes he cannot be trusted.

In my view Tucker did the best he could do in questioning him.  If he confronted him more forcefully Putin would have simply ended the interview and indeed he hinted that at least once during the time.

As long as one keeps in mind this guy is a cold blooded killer, I for one found it very interesting to hear him speak and how he thinks.   

I would also like to hear Xi in the same way.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
George Friedman on Tucker-Putin
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2024, 07:32:55 AM »
February 13, 2024
View On Website
Open as PDF

Putin’s Perspective on the Russia-Ukraine War
By: George Friedman

Russian President Vladimir Putin did something unprecedented last week: He held a two-hour press conference directed at the American public. It was not exactly a press conference, in the sense that Tucker Carlson, a talk show host perceived as sympathetic toward Russia, was the only reporter present. But neither was it, strictly speaking, an interview, as for most of the program, Putin held forth without the benefit of questions. In a sense, this made it more valuable because it allowed Putin to set out his views in an interesting and important way that might not have been possible had Carlson asked questions that were focused on an American perspective.

Instead, we got a genuine Russian perspective on the war in Ukraine, and Putin appeared to be a reasonable and thoughtful man. He made some very dubious claims, but every leader makes dubious claims while appearing statesmanlike, and Putin’s behavior drove home to an American audience that his position is not without some merit. He also made clear that he is a Russian patriot working for Russian interests, and it is in this spirit that we should take his claims. He did not want to appear like Stalin. He also seemed enormously knowledgeable, far beyond most politicians, though he did have the advantage of knowing what was to be said as well as a translator who always stood between him and his audience. But I believe this was Putin, helped by prepackaged questions, providing a sense of his broad knowledge. If this worked, then he showed that Russia was ruled by a sophisticated thinker. However, given the interview’s length and complexity, the American public may have given up early and not listened to the complete interview.

Still, the historical context, the targeting of an American audience, and the extraordinarily detailed description of Russia and Russian history seem to be setting the stage for negotiations. In defense of Russia’s attack, Putin charged the U.S. and NATO with dishonesty and duplicity in facing Russia, which was simply pursuing its historical imperative. This was no ordinary program, nor was it self-indulgent rambling; Putin’s emphasis on the failure of negotiations in Turkey early in the war makes this clear.

Putin’s central presentation concerned Russian history. He explained how Russia was formed many centuries ago and contrasted this with Eastern Europe’s formation. In this way he argued that Ukraine had always been part of Russia, physically and linguistically. Unstated but implicit in his argument, Ukraine is Russia, and the invasion of Ukraine simply represents the Russian world’s return to an older reality. This is why, according to Putin, Russia’s actions in Ukraine constitute a special military operation and not an act of war. He also spoke of Poland, hinting that Poland and Lithuania are renegades whose roots are inseparable from Russia. The discussion of Russian history was lengthy, but it was not merely academic. Putin’s argument was that history binds a place to its surroundings and its inhabitants and, in this case, gives Russia the right to make claims on foreign territory. I admired the way he slipped in his claims to the region in a way that might be dismissed or overlooked. He did, however, lay the foundation for Russian claims in Poland.

Some of what Putin said was confusing. For example, he asserted that the current Ukrainian government and its predecessors were Nazis and therefore were an enemy of Russia. He cited two men who had become Nazi collaborators before concluding that this made Ukraine a remnant of Nazi Germany and therefore hostile to Russia and other countries that had fought Hitler. This left me confused, as there is no country that was occupied by the Germans that didn’t have collaborators, from France to the Netherlands and so on. Some may have been ideologically Nazis, but all were seeking to survive or prosper. Putin made this argument from the beginning, but if followed logically it would compel Russia to invade most of Europe as a moral obligation. Putin showed himself to be highly sophisticated, so he must understand what he is saying and depend on the world to not understand his claims or take them seriously.

In another part, while expressing his readiness to negotiate, Putin said the United States was damaging itself by using the dollar to compel foreign powers to align with its worldview. He then claimed, in his most baffling remarks, that China’s economy dwarves America’s and that its economic future is bright. It is as if he has missed China’s reality in the two years since Ukraine was attacked. He said this in the context of claiming that a new economic order is emerging, and for that to happen, China must drive it. It is interesting that Putin’s seriously deep analysis of things, even if parts are debatable, concluded with obviously wrong assertions, but he was at it for a long time and was probably tired.

One other thing that struck me was his remarks about Russia’s intercontinental hypersonic missiles. The speed and maneuverability of hypersonics make defense against an attack – in the U.S. or elsewhere – very difficult. I advocated the development of intercontinental hypersonics in my book “The Future of War.” The U.S. has not yet fielded a hypersonic missile, nor do I have any evidence that it is developing an intercontinental version. If Russia’s intercontinental hypersonic missile is as capable as Putin suggested, then that may have been the most significant thing he said.

The rest of Putin’s remarks consisted of complaints about NATO and the United States and his insistence that the uprising in Kyiv in 2014 was the real beginning of the war. He left unexplained how Russia could have ignored such a terrible threat for so long.

Putin is the president of a modern nation-state, so he must explain his policies to his people and try to influence other governments and foreign publics. The goal is not to be truthful but persuasive in order to put other governments under carefully shaped pressure. What can be said is that Russia has stepped fully into modernity with an excellent presentation of truth and myths while allowing Carlson a few rebuttals. Putin saw him as friendly but a wild card, so few cards were dealt to him.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Tucker
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2024, 09:04:14 AM »
I agree with Friedman on Tucker Putin interview.

All and all it is definitely worth the listen.
I assume or presume all our intelligence already knows everything said in the interview but it gives us non insider armchair people with an interest an inside look
that we have not seen before.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Chris Wallace on Tucker - Putin
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2024, 10:39:10 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/tucker-carlson-slammed-by-fox-news-chris-wallace-over-putin-interview-netizens-jump-to-his-rescue/ar-BB1i5uCp

I challenge Chris to go to Moscow and sit across from mass murderer and put him on the spot with tough questions.

Funny though how Vlad "criticized" Tucker for not being tough enough.

At one point in the interview Tucker asked him something he did not like and he hinted he could end interview if line of questioning continues.

Suspect Vlad later criticism of Tucker was to psych us all out or keep us guessing or a control thing.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Wallace on Tucker - Putin
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2024, 07:08:44 PM »
"I challenge Chris to go to Moscow and sit across from mass murderer and put him on the spot with tough questions."

- Right. Not just in Moscow, he was in the Kremlin, while they are holding a journalist falsely accused of espionage, and murdering rivals. Very intimidating.

That said, Tucker's circumstance was of his own choosing. Some here found it valuable. I thought it was a softball propaganda session. Yes, great propaganda is loaded with truths.  And omitted facts.

Simple question he did not ask, the justification you just gave for invading and mass murdering in Ukraine applies to Poland too. Right?

Meanwhile the leader of Italy is thinking, we used to rule a larger part of Europe as well...

The other question I would ask of Tucker as a journalist, did he follow that interview by having an expert with a different viewpoint on to refute, clarify and fill in gaps left by Putin.  If not, he is serving as an advocate or at least messenger for Putin's view, not as a journalist in my humble opinion.
---------------------------------------------------

George Friedman excerpt:  "we got a genuine Russian perspective on the war in Ukraine, and Putin appeared to be a reasonable and thoughtful man. He made some very dubious claims, but every leader makes dubious claims while appearing statesmanlike, and Putin’s behavior drove home to an American audience that his position is not without some merit. He also made clear that he is a Russian patriot working for Russian interests, and it is in this spirit that we should take his claims."

[Doug]  Seems to me that view assumes false the widely circulated reports, rumors that he is the most corrupt (stealing from the Russian people) and wealthy politician in the world. 
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/worlds-richest-politician-vladimir-putin-is-worth-200-billion-owns-a-700-million-jet-4903451  (New Delhi TV January 21, 2024)
"The most iconic symbol of Vladimir Putin's alleged wealth is the Black Sea mansion."

140,000 salary?  800 square foot apartment?  Scroll right =>

NDTV source: https://fortune.com/2022/03/02/vladimir-putin-net-worth-2022/  (Paywall blocked)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 10:18:24 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2024, 03:44:05 AM »
" Simple question he did not ask, the justification you just gave for invading and mass murdering in Ukraine applies to Poland too. Right? "

I listened to the first 1.5 hrs of the "interview".
What I recall is more or less the same argument Putin used to justify the Ukraine invasion he would, using historical events, apply to Poland. 

At no time did I listen to the interview and get persuaded by Vlad anything he said.  I don't know anyone else did except for maybe some Russians.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2024, 05:06:31 AM »
another thought.

did NATO expansion break previous agreements?
is this justification for invasion of Ukraine - no
did this provoke Putin?  is it fair or just an excuse - I don't know.

I think Doug's idea of Tucker having some real objective US Russian historians come on his show to place into context the interview is a great idea.

I don't watch Tucker anymore but from what I gather he would not do that.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2024, 07:28:15 AM »

"I think Doug's idea of Tucker having some real objective US Russian historians come on his show to place into context the interview is a great idea."

Agree!

There is a not short youtube discussio by some experts recommended to me on the implications of our leaving the INF treaty thus giving us the rght to have intermediate range missiles which, if placed in Ukraine as member of NATO would give Moscow virtually no response time to a launch.  Hoping to have time to listen to it today.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tucker Putin interview, transcript posted at... Kremlin.ru
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2024, 07:13:49 AM »
Seemingly tough questions with no tough follow-up is what I predicted.  An interview, not a debate, granted, but I was going to add to my comments, not prescient was the failure to ask about Alexei Navalny, imprisoned in the worst of conditions for no crime at all.  US Media recognizes the importance of Navalny - after he's dead.

We care about our journalist but our journalist wouldn't be held if Russia had real elections.

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/73411

Weird to me that we call someone "President" who imprisons and kills his opponents, before, during and after 'elections'.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:18:06 AM by DougMacG »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tucker at world government summit
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2024, 08:26:40 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzlt1VVBcg8&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

24 minute interview, was this already posted?

Tucker is an extremely smart and talented person, full of wisdom and great insights.

But just drives me nuts wit those things where I disagree or think he is wrong.

Comparing Russia's killing of dissidents with ours, (all leaders kill people, that's why I don't want to be a leader"), Russia's restrictions on freedom of speech and press with ours...  Yes we have HUGE problems but there is no direct comparison, sorry.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Three Hours with Tucker
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2024, 01:18:16 PM »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Analysis of Behavior Shown in the Carlson/Putin Interview
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2024, 01:31:39 PM »
This analysis is bleeping amazing. It’s amazing for what these 4 behaviorist state, it’s amazing for what they hint at, and there is a fair amount of unstated points worth mulling in this deconstruction of Carlson’s interview of Putin. It’s worth noting that though Putin is the focus, Carlson is looked at too, and certainly emerges better than the MSM—which these guys clearly don’t have much regard for—would have you find him.

Please note, one of the analysts provides 9 + 1 tools for analyzing information an interested party presents to you. I wish I was smart enough to have had a pen in hand at the time as, while things unfolded, it became clear to me I should be noting these tips, creating a small cheat sheet to carry with me, and apply ‘em to EVERY effort at persuasion I encounter. Should one of you view this and feel kind enough to make a note of ‘em to share I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I’m gonna have to watch this again.

(Semi)-pro tip: I found it was not necessary to watch the entire Carlson/Putin exchange and could instead scroll forward to the analysis of the clip, particularly as the main focus is replayed at the end of each analysis session.

Astounding stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEhYKVJCPA

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2024, 03:09:08 AM »
Noted.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2024, 08:26:30 PM »
Very talented guy but not someone I'm with on all issues especially relating to foreign policy.

We can have an honest debate about US involvement in anything, but rational people should be able to agree on which side we favor, and it isn't Hamas and it isn't Putin in my view..