Author Topic: Rules of the Road/Fire Hydrant/Self Intro  (Read 283074 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the Road/Fire Hydrant/Self Intro
« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2023, 01:06:47 AM »
Looking for a fairly recent post of US defense experts warning against US expanding into East Europe.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 27, 2023, 06:22:50 PM »
Woof All: 

I want to introduce my good internet friend SWBrowne to everyone here.  I will leave it to him to describe the interesting life he has led which is part of why he has a lot to bring to our conversation here. 

TAC!
CD

His book (see thread presently nearby) is well worth the time and money!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 04, 2023, 08:20:16 AM »

Woof Gents:

As we all know, the Goolag sends a lot of highly relevant footage/evidence down the Memory Hole.

I would like to ask all of us when we see something that someday we will want to have as proof/evidence down the road to SAVE IT before it gets Memory Holed.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 12, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »
Will be rather intermittent the next five days.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 06, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »
I have distinct memory of Trump's second impeachment and trial being full of procedural skullduggery which we noted here but am not finding it.

=============

See Reply 381:  Is there a wayback machine through which we can find this?

https://firehydrantoffreedom.com/index.php?topic=2748.msg132816#msg132816
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 01:20:12 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 07, 2023, 06:54:44 AM »
Thank you very much!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Welcoming Objectivist back to the Forum!
« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2023, 02:18:30 PM »
After a few years away, we are rejoined by Objectivist.  I will leave it to him to intro himself as he sees fit  :-)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 23, 2023, 10:50:32 PM »
Far out.

Great day today at the American Open DB Gathering!

Return to NC tomorrow.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 25, 2023, 11:11:30 AM »
To Doug,

the scene is nice peaceful - green - nature  :-D

reading the chapter in Kaku's book on photosynthesis was illuminating to me
we know the general chemical equation of photosynthesis: water + CO2 + photons ===> O2 + sugar.

But apparently we have no idea how the plants do this and must be doing so on the quantum level.

We are able to achieve some level of quantum computing but only at near absolute zero under enormous pressures .
Due to the need to block any interference.

Plants can do this @ near 100% efficiency at normal temperatures and atmospheric pressures with photosynthesis.

If we can unlock how they do this we maybe able to unlock real quantum computing at a practical marketable level.

We will be able to make solar panels 100% efficient like plants.
We be able to make batteries with vastly more efficiency and lifespan.

So when out in the woods marvel at photosynthesis and pray we can unlock nature's secrets of billions of years of evolution so we can harness them too.

(No MSLSD, CNN, ABC , NBC , CBS, PBS, NPR, Slate, Politico, DNUZ, She knows, WP , NYT, WH propaganda press conferences)

Enjoy!

ccp
)

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
What I Did on my Listserv Vacation
« Reply #561 on: October 11, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on?

As some may recall, four years or so ago I was regularly underfoot, but departed due to one too many ad hominem, unresponsive, and iterative laps around the same track. One of the attractions of posting here is that the level of discussion, even when disagreeing with someone, is more than a step above most forums or whatnot. Generally at least, though there was a topic that regularly led to emotive rather than reasoned exchanges. No longer worth the squeeze, after many laps around a non-responsive track I opted to forgo the juice and left.

The topic in question was the WOD; ironically in the intervening years I gained a unique perspective where that topic is concerned. Towards the end of 2019 I hit the ER due to some GI pain. Having dealt with pancreatitis over a decade earlier, I assumed I was dealing with a return bout and told the ER MD as much, which got the morphine flowing. Bloodwork came back negative, however, which earned me some drug seeking eyeballing.

I was trundled off for an ultrasound nonetheless, with the MD being coy about the results, telling me I needed a CT and to see an endocrinologist, providing a referral for both. Somehow managed to get right in for them, and was referred to yet another practice that specialized in pancreatic issues, and they referred me for an MRI. Elapsed time was about 3 weeks.

Then came the grim conversation: “there is a growth on the head of your pancreas that very well could be cancer, and the best way forward would involve going in, taking a look, and then proceeding accordingly,” once they had a good look. I was scheduled for surgery Xmas eve, though begged of as a nurse I trusted told me holiday surgical crews were more likely to have picked up long shifts and might not be at the top of their game. As such we rescheduled for mid-January, which gave me more time to get all my end of life planning handled as, let’s face it, pancreatic cancer is a DX few have to wrestle for long.

They went in, concluded it was indeed cancer, so I spent about 14 hours on the table having a “Whipple procedure” performed, losing my pancreas, gallbladder, spleen, some intestine, some stomach, as well as my appendix for grins and giggles. I could not have drawn a better surgeon: he’d performed thousands of Whipples, didn’t cherry pick patients for ones that wouldn’t gum up his stats, had a low mortality rate (some surgeons lose up to 10% of their Whipple patients), and was very straightforward, too boot, not varnishing what surgery might bring me while making it clear how well I recovered was up to me.

Earned some impressive scars while on the table & then woke up in GI surgery recovery ward. The surgeon told me the faster I start moving around, the faster I could get out of there, so me and my trusty IV hanger took our first lap around the ward—a large square likely of 300 feet or so—about 6 hours after I came to and continued doing so every couple hours (there was not much sleep to be hand between the poking, prodding, beeping of medical accoutrements, and such), increasing the number of laps with each outing. Pain meds were a prominent element of the poking, though on day 3 when I started eating solid food I was also switched over to oral pain meds. On the fourth day post-Whipple I was released.

Won’t bore you all with further recovery details, but will note pain meds were a prominent feature. I’m told as surgery goes a Whipple’s complexity is just shy of that of a heart transplant and indeed there aren’t many surgeries that require more than a half day of being cut on. Trust it goes without saying that having one’s plumbing rearranged in so major a fashion brings its share of pain along for the ride, everything from topical pain where my hundreds of internal and external staples and stitches were concerned, to deep belly pain as sundry rearranged organs got used to the new order of things.

Alas, three weeks seems to be the max most surgeons are comfortable prescribing narcotic pain meds for, with some outright stating that the feds look over their shoulders, hence the hesitancy. Due to some other pending and already addressed boo-boos I already regularly visited a pain practice—during my hardcore martial art days I ate Ibuprofen 800 mg at a time more than several times a day, which lead the nephrologist to order me to avoid NSAIDs henceforth—and so was already on a low-grade narcotic regimen for chronic pain, with that regimen adjusted post-Whipple.

That pain practice was my then second one. The first was something of an analgesic-dispensing low rent factory: eight curtained exam “rooms” where you could clearly hear other patients describing their woes, as their doctors, or more commonly nurse practitioners (NP), sternly guided their putative patients towards the least amount of relief they could offer lest the feds or whomever swoop in and call them a pill mill. It was a very disheartening scene, but the only pain practice in my corner of the Blue Ridge Mountains. My NP seemed manic depressive, sometime happily trading martial arts stories with me, and the next intimating I was overstating my needs. The waiting room there was often Dantesque, and always depressing.

As such I sought to step up and did what I usually do: sought a practice halfway between home and Washington DC in the hope I’d find a better MD serving the DC exurbs. And the one I found was indeed a step up: the waiting room was less grim, the clientele look less like Walking Dead bit players, the NP didn’t have a switch that flipped into inquisition mode, and so by contrast if nothing else it was the better choice. Still, there was always the sense you were suspected of drug seeking, particularly by the front desk staff, and I did note several incidents that just didn’t sit well.

Once the waiting room was packed, they were running way behind, and there weren’t enough chairs. I offered mine to a woman with a cane, then waited in line at the window to ask if there were any chairs in back that could be used, but was coldly rebuffed. As such I went to roam the halls looking for chairs, found one, only to be snootily told by the desk staff that they had called for me while I was absent. Second time there was a guy in a wheelchair who seemed unresponsive that was accompanied by a couple sixty or so olds that I took to be his kids or similar. An RX form needed signing and the desk woman had come out from behind the glass—that barrier was not particularly wheelchair friendly—and insisted that he sign it. He couldn’t find the acuity to grasp the clipboard, much less the thrust pen, so one of his aides offered to sign the form for him. No can do, the imperious desk jockey declared, he has to sign it or he can’t get his meds.

There were more innings to that one, which finally resolved when one aide held the clipboard while another grasped his hand and pen, forcing it to “sign” the paper, but that was the last straw for me. The desk staff clearly had no customer service skills. They didn’t have to: pain relief was a sellers market and patients could either put up with their shit or go without. I transferred my care to a sister practice closer into DC and did find them far more friendly, but I was still annoyed by the ethics of this pain chain practice and so kept seeking.

As I was sorting that out I began a course of prophylactic chemotherapy. The cancer wasn’t found in my lymph nodes, which would have pretty much been game, set match, so the plan was to do 16 weeks of chemo in case a wan cancer cell or two was missed. Well guess what: chemo sucks. I had to go in weekly to sit in a chair for an hour or so to have poison pumped into me, then had to stick a 3 inch needle in my belly weekly to inject something that encouraged white blood cells to regrow after having been poisoned, all while daily eating a nausea inducing pill a couple times daily, losing A LOT of weight along the way.

Spoke to my oncologist about this; he asked if I had a pain MD. Told him my tale of woe there; he asked if I had tried a practice just up the street from the hospital. Indeed I had prior to the Whipple when dealing with post rotator cuff surgery and other lingering MA injury pain, but had been told that they “aren’t that typed of pain practice,” which I took to mean they didn’t treat random folk off the street lest they turn out to be drug seekers. My oncologist rolled his eyes, picked up the phone, and got me an appointment with them.

Orders of magnitude better, with the downside being this practice was over an hour from home, while our friendly neighborhood feds don’t allow telemedicine for pain treatment, particularly as pissing into a cup is a regular indignity that just can’t be replaced by pissing on the phone. As that may be, eating is nice and sleeping is too so I made the trek and indeed started getting some effective relief. Medical THC is legal in my state, the new pain MD stated many chemo patients get relief by using it, so I jumped through the numerous hoops and got a script.

Oh. My. Goodness. Have you any idea how good food tastes after you’ve lost 50 lbs. and even thinking about eating makes you want to toss cookies? Yeah, THC fixed that. And then sleep! Prior to medical marijuana I slept in 90 minute segments and felt lucky if a night brought me more than four and a half interrupted hours. Eat some THC and I could chow down, catch four hours sleep, wake hungry, eat again, and fall back asleep for a couple hours or more. It was amazing! The dope wasn’t the ditch weed of my misspent youth—learned the hard way that old metrics don’t apply to this generation of weed, with staring off into space and drooling being the major downside—but sheesh, chemo became more than endurable and I was able to cut back on narcotic meds due to the relief THC brought.

The feds, of course, had tossed a fly in the ointment. Though legal in my state, and though dispensaries operated without the DEA crashing through their doors, THC was still on the schedule as a narcotic. No one bothered to mention that as I jumped through the various hoops, but I had occasion to help a friend by a gun and as she filled out the BATFE’s form 4473 there’s a yes/no question about being the user of an illegal narcotic. Hadn’t even thought of that when it came to medical treatment and so researched the topic further and discovered indeed, in the fed’s view if you were undergoing chemo or whatever and had been prescribed THC you nonetheless lost your second amendment rights. Fortunately my guns are in a trust—set up as part of the end of life prep I did—so I could keep kosher by ceding them to a trustee, but that was a temporary fix at best were I to continue my various firearm pursuits.

Won’t belabor things; where I live you have to be annually qualified to continue THC treatment, chemo ended about eight months after it started, leaving me the choice or renewing or not. To put it more starkly I had to choose between sleeping or ceding second amendment protections and rights. I opted to surrender sleep and have asked more than one drug warrior to explain what justifies being put in such a bind. No answer has been forthcoming. I’m not surprised. I’ve been asking a similar question of someone generally able to frame cogent arguments here to name a single criteria by which the WOD can be measured a success, only go earn the full gambit of fallacious “argument” in return. I’ve noted over the years whenever a response hits too close to home this player abandons reasoned discourse in favor of snark and name calling.

Indeed I’ve noted in my absence a couple of posts containing straw elements, generally to the effect that some absent “loonatarian” assured the list this or that ill effect of drug decriminalizing couldn’t possibly occur. Were those comments indeed pointed at me I’d respond by making clear I did no such thing. Rather I stated that, as the WOD has failed by any rational measure, perhaps it’s time to try things other countries have had success with as the trillion dollars spent, the millions of American’s warehoused in prison, the generations of children that have grown up without fathers, the drug lords that have grown rich due to our folly, along with all the dysfunction and perverse incentives this prohibition retread spun off et al and all the unintended consequences that have resulted point to nothing but abject failure. One could hardly do worse.

My cancer journey certainly has shown me that drug warrior interference substantially impacts pain management both post operatively—also had a titanium plate installed in a foot post Whipple that laid me up worse than that major surgery—and where chronic pain is concerned, particularly as I’m no longer allowed to eat vitamin I, as we called ibuprofen where I trained, by the fistful any longer. Moreover it seems every MD now lives in fear of showing up on some DEA list or whatever, and so prescribe pain meds in a manner that seeks to avoid federal entanglements rather than as best serves the patient’s needs. Meanwhile should one find that THC addresses pain and reduces the need for narcotic relief one can indeed get it prescribed, so long as they are willing to cede second amendment rights. All in all it’s pretty freaking silly and utterly par for the drug warrior course.

I can still rattle on, eh? Bottom line is since I’ve departed I’ve had first hand experience where WOD folly is concerned, with that folly impacting me significantly. I’m now 3.5 years post Whipple, get a CT every six months that have been coming back clean, and will be declared cured assuming I make 5 years. I ‘spose it’s also worth noting that if I had gotten on the table a week or two later I likely wouldn’t be here to write this as Covid madness then swept the country, with most hospitals including the one I had surgery at closing down for all “elective” surgery. Pretty good chance that if I had gone an additional six months the cancer would have spread and hence been a lot harder to beat, to name just one element of Covid insanity and how those folks from the government are here to help.

Anyway I’m back and, assuming there’s still little social media asshattery to endure around here, expect I’ll stay. I’ve certainly missed this forum and many of you and hope to hobnob with you all soon.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:25:07 AM by Body-by-Guinness »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 11, 2023, 05:55:39 PM »
WELCOME BACK!

Quite a fine post to kick off your new era here!!!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 12, 2023, 06:33:44 AM »
Welcome back!  What an ordeal!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 10, 2023, 03:07:23 PM »
Welcome back to  Objectivist!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 17, 2023, 08:27:01 AM »
Quick note regarding a nefarious link recently posted. This appears to be an honest mistake. No need for any panic. The link referred to another website that appears to have been compromised. I have removed the link to avoid any further exposure to the members. I see no evidence of any issues on our server. I have spoken to Marc, and everything looks good. No need to circle the wagons at this time.  :-)
Forum Admin

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 17, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
Gratitude Bob!!!

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 17, 2023, 07:17:20 PM »
Quick note regarding a nefarious link recently posted. This appears to be an honest mistake. No need for any panic. The link referred to another website that appears to have been compromised. I have removed the link to avoid any further exposure to the members. I see no evidence of any issues on our server. I have spoken to Marc, and everything looks good. No need to circle the wagons at this time.  :-)

Any web hygiene changes we need to make Bob?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 17, 2023, 07:35:29 PM »
Entirely possible that the glitch was mine by my being clueless when it comes to updating the security of my browsers. 

If I understand correctly what Bob told me we should be good to go, but to play it safe I have PM'd him the link for this thread so he will know to come and answer your question. 

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2023, 08:09:04 PM »
Entirely possible that the glitch was mine by my being clueless when it comes to updating the security of my browsers. 

If I understand correctly what Bob told me we should be good to go, but to play it safe I have PM'd him the link for this thread so he will know to come and answer your question.

Sounds good. Want to make sure I didn’t post something from a malicious source.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 26, 2023, 12:04:37 PM »
Any web hygiene changes we need to make Bob?

I didn't see any bad activity here. There was just a link to another website that may have had some compromised material on it. You are good to go.
Forum Admin

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Wanna Play in a Big Freaking Cave?
« Reply #571 on: December 05, 2023, 10:12:03 AM »
No, the question ain't a metaphor, and pardon the wide net I'm casting....

As Crafty knows I'm a Fellow with an org chartered to explore caves in national parks and other federal land and have been caving with this org since the mid-80s. Working as a chef back in the day, I've contributed to this effort in various ways beyond bopping around underground such as proving that all meals don't have to be prepared in cast iron skillets using reserved bacon grease to fry copious quantities of starch, among other concepts considered heterodox back in the day.

As that may be, I managed camp for the Thanksgiving expedition--something I've done with an interruption or two for 35+ years--and confess feeding 32 cavers across five days among other support needs kicked my 66 year old ass. What can I say, 16+ hour days don't come as easily as they used to, particularly while nursing sundry boo boos. As such I'm putting out the word: if you'd like access to unique resources few get to see beyond the tourist trails, give me a shout. I'll use and abuse you in the kitchen for a meal or two, handle your room and board, equip you, get you on a basic cave trip or two, perhaps get you into some virgin cave, and otherwise immerse you in an environment where the person that wrote the geologic, hydrologic, biologic, archaeologic, etc. treatise or text might be wolfing down dinner at the seat next to you, or perhaps even conducting your trip. Oh, and I smoke a mean freaking turkey or three....

If interested give me a shout and I'll provide details, answer questions, et al. Indeed, let me give you a sage piece of caving advice: the answer to the question "did you bring your wetsuit to camp?" is always "no," lest you get suckered into some cold, tight, muddy, trip well beyond what is generally considered fun. Only cop to having a wetsuit in hand if YOU or someone you trust know where you are going.

See how easy it is to learn about caving?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 05, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
Welcome back!

Great post!

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
All Part of Our Permanent Record
« Reply #573 on: January 21, 2024, 06:24:47 AM »
In view of a post earlier today noting various predictors suggesting the 2024 election could lead to civil war, perhaps it’s time to state what ought to be obvious loud and clear: many of the posts here are ones Deep State denizens and their fellow travelers would rather not see circulated, this site is likely surveilled to one degree or another (and I’d err on the side of more, rather than less), those doing the surveilling carry Deep State water a couple of Jerrycans at a time, despite our nom-de-plumes know who we are down to our dental records and, given the Progressive left’s utter willingness to disregard reality as most experience it and instead warp all facts of the matter to serve the narrative need of the moment, perhaps it’s prudent to post as though a vindictive Deep State awaits us come 2025.

Not that prudence instituted today will seriously impact any thought crimes already committed, but given FBI fondness for launching schemes that entrap Americans—shooting fish in a barrel beats hell out of doing real work involving actual violent criminals—it might be worth bearing in mind, particularly should some kindly list member reach out offering to help plan the kidnapping of, say, Michigan’s governor or something that ought to sound absurd, but history has shown isn’t.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 21, 2024, 08:59:56 AM »
Your thought is well shared here.

"should some kindly list member reach out offering to help plan the kidnapping of, say, Michigan’s governor"

No one here of that sort!!!

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2024, 10:07:58 AM »
Your thought is well shared here.

"should some kindly list member reach out offering to help plan the kidnapping of, say, Michigan’s governor"

No one here of that sort!!!
My smart assed way of saying beware of people reaching out to you feigning your politics after availing themselves upon open source intelligence and then trying to suck you into some harebrained scheme.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2024, 11:22:31 AM »
You have PM. :-D

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
suggestion
« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2024, 07:07:29 AM »
"intelligence psychology and AI" thread does not make sense.

I think this an example of what BBG was talking about with thread titles that are confusing.

how about "AI and Quantum computing"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2024, 10:16:36 AM »
Progress towards clarity is a good thing!

I do think that Human Intelligence belongs in there as well.

How about :

"Human Intelligence, AI, and Quantum Computing"?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 29, 2024, 07:04:39 AM »
"Behind an educrat paywall so pasted in full below."

I get and respect the logic here AND I would like to add that sometimes there is an additional, and countervailing consideration.

Some links allowed to expire for whatever reason, but all too often they are deleted by the Controligarch forces of the Goolag.  Try finding now that footage of the Capitol Police waving in the J6 protestors for example!  I had a link of a subtitled evil Chinese scientist talking about developing viruses that could target particular ethnic/racial groups-- but it is now gone down the Memory Hole.  Also, sometimes links are allowed to expire for whatever reason.

To protect against such and to further the purposes of this forum, I would ask that whenever the contents are such that they should not be lost to posterity, to paste in full.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2024, 10:20:49 AM »
"Behind an educrat paywall so pasted in full below."

I get and respect the logic here AND I would like to add that sometimes there is an additional, and countervailing consideration.

Some links allowed to expire for whatever reason, but all too often they are deleted by the Controligarch forces of the Goolag.  Try finding now that footage of the Capitol Police waving in the J6 protestors for example!  I had a link of a subtitled evil Chinese scientist talking about developing viruses that could target particular ethnic/racial groups-- but it is now gone down the Memory Hole.  Also, sometimes links are allowed to expire for whatever reason.

To protect against such and to further the purposes of this forum, I would ask that whenever the contents are such that they should not be lost to posterity, to paste in full.

Are you worried about getting hit with a copyright/takedown notice? Has it occurred before?

I confess I minimize my full cut and pastes due to the fear, but I’ve managed college computer labs were “quit downloading and sharing our music” notifications were a regular issue.

With that said, moving forward I’ll try to do a full cut and paste if a site seems like it might be fleeting.

And hey, while we are at it … is there an easy way to upload images here that I’ve missed? While going through old posts I often find the words still there, but the linked images have fled.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2024, 04:47:32 PM »
Frankly not too worried because:

a) We woud respect a cease and desist letter;
b) We're not making any money and/or it would be really hard to prove damages;
c) their lawyers would cost more than I am worth haha
d) a bit more seriously, there is the fair use doctrine combined with the gneral nature of this forum.
e) we have a valid purpose in protecting content from the Memory Hole.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2024, 05:53:58 PM »
Frankly not too worried because:

a) We woud respect a cease and desist letter;
b) We're not making any money and/or it would be really hard to prove damages;
c) their lawyers would cost more than I am worth haha
d) a bit more seriously, there is the fair use doctrine combined with the gneral nature of this forum.
e) we have a valid purpose in protecting content from the Memory Hole.
Kewl! I won’t worry about complicating your life, though reserve the right to forgo full posts off sites that toss in all sorts of erratic formatting to forestall doing so.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2024, 06:49:34 PM »
I delete the extraneous stuff so as to have a smooth read.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 29, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »
I delete the extraneous stuff so as to have a smooth read.
Easy to do on a laptop or desktop. iPad? Not so much.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 30, 2024, 05:10:07 AM »
 :-D

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 30, 2024, 07:45:02 AM »
My thoughts (and excuses) on copyright. Maybe the discussion if any should be off the board.

Leave something out and put 'more at the link'. When i've really pushed the envelope I sometimes put 'subscribe at ... .com', meaning we are using their material to promote their site. Mostly it is sharing among friends which is ususlly, partly ok, we give credit to the source, we aren't promoting our site, and as Crafty already said, we are not making money off of it. Almost everything I post they already put out in the public domain. And like material spread over twitter, facebook, google, don't authors and publishers like their writings and works spread and 'retweeted over the internet'?

Like music, there is balance between some free listening in order for the paid stuff to happen. You don't buy an 'album' or go to a concert of a band you never heard.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 30, 2024, 12:39:52 PM »
Well said.

When pasting here where possible probably a proper courtesy to post the link as well.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
On the Road
« Reply #588 on: February 14, 2024, 08:57:38 AM »
In KY supporting the 75th anniversary of a caving expedition that lead to the formation of the cave org I’m a Fellow with. Won’t be posting much until home.

The story of this expedition an interesting one. There was an “inholder” family that had a famous (infamous) cave surrounded by a national park. Back in those days the National Park Service (NPS) was not a fan of inholders, with things coming to blows, access roads intentionally left in disrepair, and all sorts of general harassment.

This lead to the manager of the inholder cave to set up an expedition covered by True magazine and others, meant to publicize the inholder cave, hence raise its value, and thus allow the cave to be sold to the NPS at a higher price.

One of the bits of fallout from all this is those cavers that attended the expedition (which was pretty unproductive by today’s standards) went on to form the cave group I cave with. Back then they were basically a bunch of anarchists that also had our share of issues with the NPS, though these days we all hold hands and skip.

Anyhoo, I’m in the wind until next week.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 14, 2024, 01:25:37 PM »
Far out- and good Adventure to you!  8-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2024, 11:36:22 AM »
I forget how we have it posted here, but there is some way to pull things up from the youtube memory hole.

Looking to get my hands on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBX_g8MyS7U

BlueLight

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 08, 2024, 05:17:29 PM »
Hello everyone, a friend of Crafty. Recently got to speak to him for the first time, but the first time I became aware of him was seeing a "gathering of the pack" video and saying "this is the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen." Followed the group for about 10 more years. Crafty is a hero of mine because of all the times he went out of his way to look out for our US servicemembers and selflessness he showed in doing so. If you knew me, you'd know the safety and prosperity of those who serve-especially military- come first in my life, and I'd do anything to protect them. If you look out for them, I will have the utmost respect for you.

I'm what you would call a radically free thinker, and have friends from all sides of the political spectrum because I think it's the best way to understand the world as a whole. In regards to the political side of things, I prefer not to attach my identity to any side, to avoid any in-group biases that emerge. However I love to hear others opinions without judgement because it helps me form a more complete version of the world.

That said, my favorite people in the world tend to be libertarian because they tend to be very open to new ideas and are quite intellectually flexible. But really, regardless of what you believe, if you are a "think outside of the box" kind of person, and display a high level of intellectual flexibility and free thinking that goes beyond party lines I'll probably be very fond of you, regardless of ideology. The way I approach the world is rather non-partisan and perhaps something akin to Smedley Butler or Jim Mattis.

I'm a linguist for a section of the US government (DoD, various military branches), and work as an advisor when people need cultural expertise or Kurdish speaker. Haven't done anything particularly special or exciting besides for wait around.

A little background on how this adventure started, I witnessed the Yazidi genocide over the news in 2014 and (due to family members working in Government) felt a sense of responsibility for what played out and dedicated my life to preventing something like that from happening again. A year or two later, I heard about some volunteer groups of former US military and medical experts who were traveling to join the Kurdish forces in the fight against ISIS as well as provide medical support and assistance (similar to what US citizens are doing in Ukraine atm). I had some medical experience so I volunteered to go myself. Knew if I could keep even one of our guys safe, it would be worth my life.

Long story short I couldn't go because it put my family member's security clearances in jeopardy (gov doesn't look lightly on foreign volunteers), so I stayed in the US for their sake. But I guess I caught someone's attention at some point because I'm a linguist/advisor now. As crafty recently told me: The adventure continues.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 08, 2024, 05:37:14 PM »
Welcome aboard Bluelight! Pleased to have a fellow “loonitarian” in the mix.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 09, 2024, 05:06:08 AM »
WWWOOOFFF!!!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 09, 2024, 08:48:31 AM »
The general idea is to have threads that follow identifiable themes so that they serve as resources for someone to be able go to that thread and follow its development over time.

I readily grant that sometimes the Subject lines could be written better.  The solution is to edit them so they become easier to find with a Search campaign.

I'm always open to suggestions as to how to improve them.

=================

Bluelight:

Great intro!  A life full of Adventure!  We are glad to have you join ours here!

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 09, 2024, 10:56:14 AM »
The general idea is to have threads that follow identifiable themes so that they serve as resources for someone to be able go to that thread and follow its development over time.

I readily grant that sometimes the Subject lines could be written better.  The solution is to edit them so they become easier to find with a Search campaign.

I'm always open to suggestions as to how to improve them.

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, these days hashtags are the standard workaround, though I’ve no idea if SimpleMachines supports them.

I have trouble with tasks requiring rote memory as I have little capacity for it. Looks to me there are 16 pages of up to 50 topics each making for up to 800 topics one needs to navigate seeking the most appropriate. My usual habit is to try to divine the most logical search terms, if they don’t turn anything up (and often what they turn up seem tangential to the piece at hand, equidistant enough from each other to justify a new topic) I’ll scan the first couple pages often going with the first topic appearing to make sense or, failing to find something that seems sensible, starting a new topic.

I’ll note this process often leads to being pointed toward a different topic, with the suggestion befuddling me, or for the sake of time starting a new topic. Likely about a half dozen times of late I’ve done the searches and the scans and, finding nothing, just say never mind just to avoid complications.