Author Topic: Political Rants & interesting thought pieces  (Read 844883 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
VDH: Elite left woke values and agenda
« Reply #2250 on: August 31, 2023, 07:55:12 AM »

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH: Save the Rule of Law by Destroying It.
« Reply #2251 on: September 03, 2023, 08:06:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:22:25 PM by Crafty_Dog »
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Political Rants & interesting thought pieces
« Reply #2252 on: September 05, 2023, 01:06:31 AM »
Dennis Prager: Why Young Americans Are Not Taught About Evil. The Ignorance is Almost Total.

Most of our schools teach almost nothing of importance, and nothing is more important than the study of good and evil. In the United States today, nearly all schools, from elementary through graduate, concentrate on teaching about racism, sexism, preferred pronouns, homophobia, transphobia, LGBTQIA+, climate change, diversity, equity, inclusiveness and white guilt. In other words, most of our educational institutions, including the most prestigious, do not educate.

Here are a few proofs.

It is almost certain that the great majority of American high school and college students (with the obvious exceptions of Christian students) could not name the Four Gospels (presuming they even know what they are); five of the Ten Commandments (presuming they know what those are); or the names of two Shakespeare plays. Most American students know little about the American Revolution, let alone about the French or Russian Revolutions. The same holds true for the Constitution and every other American founding document. It is doubtful that, other than Washington and Jefferson having owned slaves, American students know anything about these men or could name two other Founders.

When it comes to evil, the ignorance is enormous, often almost total. For example, according to Pew, about half of Americans ages 18-39 cannot identify Auschwitz or any other Nazi death camp. And there is every reason to assume that much fewer than half could identify the Gulag Archipelago (20 million-plus murdered); the Ukrainian forced famine (5 to 6 million murdered in a little over a year); Mao’s Great Leap Forward (about 60 million murdered); or Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge (about one in every four Cambodians murdered).

As noted, almost no one outside of Russia has ever heard of the Russian Civil War, let alone knows anything about it. One reason is that the winners, the communists, had no desire that people know about it. Yet, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, about 10 million people, the great majority noncombatants, were killed.

Why don’t students know about evil?

The first reason is that nearly all the genocides of the 20th century were committed by communists, and the Left, which runs virtually all educational institutions, has always had a soft spot for communism. If people were to recognize that communism has been the greatest source of evil in the modern age in terms of numbers murdered, number of lives destroyed, liberty stolen, and the sheer amount of human suffering inflicted (greater by those metrics than those of the Nazis before they were forcibly stopped), the Left would lose much of its appeal.

Another reason is the foolish notion that people are basically good. This has been a left-wing belief since the French Enlightenment leader Jean-Jacques Rousseau came up with the idea. As he wrote in his book, “On Philosophy, Morality, and Religion,” “Man is a naturally good being, loving justice and order; there is no natural perversity in the human heart… All the vices imputed to the human heart are not natural to it.”

This nonsense had been foreign to the Western mind. Its view of humanity was rooted in the Bible, and neither Bible-based religion — Judaism or Christianity — affirmed the goodness of the human heart. As Genesis states, “The will of man’s heart is evil from his youth,” and the rest of the Bible repeatedly warns us against following our hearts.

However, as the West began to abandon the Bible, including belief in the God of the Bible, Westerners began to believe in man. As Marx put it, “Man is God.” People had no choice. For if there is no God to believe in, one must believe in man — or one has literally nothing to believe in. Therefore, belief in man’s inherent goodness became both psychologically and philosophically necessary.

A third reason follows from the second. With the exception of the mass murder of the Armenians (which was committed by Muslim Turks), the genocides and the other horrors of the 20th century were committed by secular regimes. Given the centrality of secularism to leftism, this fact has been kept from young people. Likewise, the fact that all these genocides were committed by big governments is not taught to young people because big government is also central to left-wing ideology. In other words, a true depiction of the evils of the 20th century would mean the end of the two pillars of left-wing ideology: secularism and big government.

If you want to make a more moral world, you must begin with the study of evil. But, for the reasons enumerated here, the Left is not — and cannot be — interested in fighting real evil. So, the Left fights made-up evils: American systemic racism, transphobia, capitalism, carbon emissions, sexism and former President Donald Trump, to name a few.

This is why young people know almost nothing about evil. The Left doesn’t want them to know about it. Because knowledge of evil inevitably leads directly to rejection of the Left.

"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Prager: Judeo Christian values
« Reply #2253 on: September 05, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
PragerU 5-minute video on Judeo-Christian Values. This is a superb, short explanation of what they are.

https://www.prageru.com/video/what-are-judeo-christian-values
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:57:32 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
VDH: Are we Rome collapsing?
« Reply #2254 on: September 17, 2023, 03:00:58 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
A friend writes: More info alone is not making anyone smarter.
« Reply #2260 on: October 04, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »

Data Dump ≠ Genius Bump
More information alone is NOT making anybody smarter.
FRANCISCO D'ANCONIA
OCT 4

I realize what this entry will sound like. More, I realize how it will make me sound to most readers. I’ve wrestled with a way to make it more palatable, more optimistic, but I just can’t seem to get there. So, in the spirit of writing it because I think it needs to be said, buckle up. This one might sting a bit.

In the 1960s, the notion of publishing nutritional information and ingredients on food labels began to gain traction in America. It’s a pretty common-sense idea, right? Let people know what’s in their food so they can make informed decisions about what they consume. By 1973, the FDA made rules about voluntary labeling. Not required yet, but they began to devote some time to making more information available to people regarding certain nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and calorie counts. In 1980, it was getting more serious. The FDA drafted some suggested legislation about food labeling, but their ideas met with so much resistance, the notion of transparent food content labeling didn’t catch on for another decade. It wasn’t until 1990 that the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act (NLEA) was signed into law. This landmark legislation mandated the inclusion of standardized nutrition labels on most packaged foods and dietary supplements. Key requirements of the NLEA included the Nutrition Facts panel, which provides information on serving size, calories, and the amounts of various nutrients per serving. It also required ingredient lists to be provided on food labels. In 1994, the NLEA regulations became effective, and the Nutrition Facts panel as we know it today began appearing on food packages. This panel includes information on nutrients like fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, protein, vitamins, and minerals - you’ve all seen them. As it sometimes does with new discoveries, scientific consensus about what we ought to be putting into our bodies changed again and it 2016, the FDA introduced an updated Nutrition Facts label to reflect changes in dietary recommendations and consumer preferences. Notable changes included larger and bolder calorie information, the addition of added sugars, and updated daily values for some nutrients. Stay with me. I promise this is going somewhere.

From the 1960s through the 1980s, obesity rates in the United States were relatively stable. While there were certainly individuals who were overweight or obese, it was not yet considered a widespread epidemic and we didn’t see the levels widespread obesity-related diseases we see today. The 1990s marked the beginning of a significant increase in obesity rates. This decade saw a sharp rise in the prevalence of obesity across all age groups and demographics. Through the 2000s, obesity rates continued to climb. The problem became more widely recognized, and health authorities started “addressing it” as a major public health concern. More recently, the COVID-19 pandemic brought additional attention to the link between obesity and severe outcomes from the virus, underscoring the importance of addressing this health concern.

It is a common mistake to suppose that more readily available information will make people smarter. It is a mistake to think that “giving them the facts” will influence their choices or behaviors. If you line up the obesity trends in this country with the availability of information about foods and drinks to the consumer, you’ll see it plain as day. In fact, looking at those two trend lines together, you’d think it had the opposite effect. The more specific and available nutritional information became, the worse the obesity problem got. Add to that all of the information and connectivity with experts that the internet enabled and it would be understandable if you looked at obesity trends and scratched your head. What shouldn’t mystify you in the least, however, is why things are the way they are. People, despite the availability of information, will by and large do whatever the hell they were going to do anyway, not because it’s best for them, but because they want to. Do you really think that I’m sitting here with a spare tire around my middle because I can’t read a nutrition label? Or is it because I like beer and cookies?

The bottom line is, there are a lot of factors at work here. But for the purposes of this Journal, the reason it matters is this: The vast majority of people have neither the desire nor the personal discipline to bother learning anything new for the sake of improving themselves. They’re on autopilot. Sticking new information in front of them does less than no good. To them, it’s a distraction from whatever they were distracted by in the first place. Pause my TikTok reels to read something important? Invest time and intellectual calories into making myself a better, more functional, more self-reliant human being? Pfugh! WHY? Have you SEEN this cat? If it sounds like I’m talking down to a huge swath of humanity, or as if I think there is some sort of majority of people out there who are self-absorbed, unconcerned resource consumers, alive purely because the producers of our society make enough to care for and feed them, let me be clear. I am talking down to them, and that’s exactly what I think. But don’t mistake that for ill will. I don’t hold it against them. I just recognize it for what it is. American society today has made it possible for a majority of people to live their entire lives without knowing real hardship. We’ve come so far in the effort to make life a little better for our kids than we had it that a majority of our kids will grow all the way into adulthood without ever knowing whether or not they are cowards. The new generation is largely spoiled because we spoiled them, and the politicians who run things are pandering to the spoiled by promising never to make it any harder on them. Everything will be free, your loans will be forgiven, words won’t hurt anymore, and we’ll tear down any art or cultural history that offends you. Don’t worry about how we’ll finance all that - we’ll just take it from the people you hate. It’ll be great! It’s pretty astonishing, if you think about it. We’ve not only created one of the softest and least educated generations in our country’s history, we’ve built a political system incentivized to pander to it and make it worse - and we’ve managed to do it in a time when information is more readily available and accessible than ever before.

Now, if you’re the sort of person who reads these entries and thinks about them, you’re probably also the kind of person who reads other things. You probably think about the world and the events of the day. You probably indulge your curiosity in ways that extend beyond leisure and distraction. In short, I’m not really talking about you in the broad sense. I’m talking about all of us in some measure, myself included. I’m just as guilty of wanting to see my children have a better life than I have had, working toward giving that to them, and then shaking my head when I find they aren’t as self-sufficient or resourceful as I was at their age. I’m every bit as prone to this kind of hypocrisy as anyone else. The best I can do is try to recognize it for what it is and make sure it never ever becomes my baseline. I’ll bet you could very likely say the same about yourself and your own life.

So where does that leave us? If giving them access to all the information in the whole wide world isn’t enough, how do we make people smarter? How do we get past our desire to make the world a better place for the next generation and make the next generation better for the world? Well, I don’t know. I wish I did. I mean I really and truly wish I did. I have a feeling, though, that the answer lies somewhere in the example we set and in the life we live. You see, the brain is a really old tool. Millions of years of evolution have taught it all kinds of shortcuts, taught it to observe and copy behaviors to survive. I think the real “hack” lies there - in being the kind of example that makes this current brand of idiocy unsustainable. Being not only a present, but consistently positive and dependable model for the brains and behaviors of those who might be open to developing. Now I’ll admit, I’m not at all sure that will work. I’m gambling on the notion that people being proud of how stupid they are is a trend that will kill itself off. That even in a time when spectacle and the theater of the absurd rule the collective attention span, there is still some desire in most minds to see serious people in charge of the things that matter. Somewhere in the recesses of my reptilian brain, I hope against all evidence that no matter how soft or willfully ignorant the masses become, they still want to be able to trust that the people steering the ship and putting food on the table know what the hell they’re doing. That, at least, allows me my pragmatic optimism. In that, I hope living the right example will empower those who pay attention to take the wheel someday and set this nonsense right. In the meantime, the adventure continues. May we live for our purpose, do it honorably, and may all our scars be on the front of us.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH on Amoral Clarity
« Reply #2261 on: October 12, 2023, 02:10:03 PM »
I’m not sure anything Hansen writes can be construed a rant, but they are certainly thought pieces:

https://amgreatness.com/2023/10/12/hamas-and-amoral-clarity/?fbclid=IwAR3ylcwo-TSJYrHV8vyQEiFNGfEOYdLKRfGrwU0nXX38XjxYCw3_VYZ-9J8

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Israelis admit failure and will ultimately pay price
« Reply #2262 on: October 13, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/idf-chief-halevi-admits-military-failed-to-prevent-hamas-attack-vows-to-investigate/

reminds me of recent Michael Oren interview I posted couple days back

he stated UNLIKE IN THE US

when Israeli government officials or leaders fail they pay a price.

he was referring to hypothetical question about future of Bibi

Thinking about this I cannot think of single instance where a  US President, administration or legislature or Fed government official claimed they made mistake(s) or resigned as a result.

Look at Afghanistan - no one apologized to the American people or was held accountable.

Endless examples I can list .

Can anyone here think of any example of US politician or Fed official admitting mistake or failure or resigning I missed?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 13, 2023, 06:12:31 PM »
M understanding is that this used to be common in the military.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Obama’s “3rd term” & its Implications
« Reply #2264 on: October 13, 2023, 09:50:00 PM »
In view of Biden’s obvious mental decline the question “who’s at the controls?” is coming up more often. What are the 2024 implications?

https://www.samizdata.net/2023/10/back-seat-driving-at-the-white-house/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Obama’s “3rd term” & its Implications
« Reply #2265 on: October 14, 2023, 05:15:34 AM »
"on the back-seat driving allegation vs Mr Obama"

- The question it seems is whether Obama and his team of his advisors is front seat driving. As pointed out so we'll, he wasn't a very good President., for the country or for his party.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 17, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »
Thread nazi here again  :-D

His Glibness and/or the Biden Administration would be better threads for the first two of these three, and the Israel thread for the third.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 17, 2023, 01:46:52 PM »
" Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center, is an investigative journalist and writer focusing on the radical Left and Islamic terrorism."

has good credentials

yet Blinks still runs to Qatar, Egypt, Jordan and Abbas

with "diplomatic solutions"

and Biden to Israel for I am not sure what

all vying for a Nobel Peace Prize I suppose prior to '24 election .

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Time to Divorce DC
« Reply #2270 on: October 19, 2023, 08:16:36 AM »
Don Surber

An ungovernable nation
We need a divorce — from Washington.
OCT 19, 2023

Reader John McCall, who writes John’s Substack, left an excellent comment yesterday.

He said, “Has it escaped anybody’s attention that this nation is ungovernable? A columnist, yesterday or so, wrote the first of a series on how to fix things. His first post made a cogent case for elimination of Civil Service so that unelected bureaucrats would be much less able to make policy according to their own agenda, rather than carry out the policies agreed to by elected officials.

“Anybody want to lay money on achieving THAT? There is a better chance of scorched earth in Gaza. The Uniparty is busy with destruction of this nation for the rest of us in order to gain it for themselves (and buy time to accomplish such by throwing the rest of us minimal scraps).

“Kurt Schlichter wrote the first part of that (those not yet informed by his warning novels have missed a treat — there is droll humor there in addition to his wisdom and entertaining plot {usual disclaimer by me as to potential gain of any manner as result of recommending such tomes.”

I read comments because of some unsolicited advice Jonah Goldberg gave me: Never read comments. That was back in the day when he thought I was great.

John McCall hit on what the problem is with America. Its government has grown to the point where Washington spends $6 trillion a year. I think. The White House budget proposal does not say how much it wants to spend, but it does say 4 times that the budget will cut the deficit by $1.7 trillion over the next decade. That depends on what the meaning of cut is because only in government do people believe that you increase spending and call it a decrease.

The national debt of $33 trillion and rising is a symptom of the problem, which is a colossal, enormous, gigantic, immense, mammoth, and vast federal government that is peopled by a buttinsky bureaucracy that want to regulate every aspect of your life. The people in DC apparently have no lives so they want to run yours.

Name a human activity that the government does not have its nose in.

Toilets? You cannot use more than 1.6 gallons of water per flush because the government has determined that we must save water. Nevada and other arid places have water shortages, so the government makes everyone in the USA must save water regardless of whether they live on a Great Lake or not.

But Nevada’s water problem stems from the mob building up Las Vegas in the 1950s and federal efforts since then to make it less unlivable. Its population has risen more than 10-fold in the past 60 years as its 285,278 inhabitants in the 1960 Census grew in number to 3,104,614 inhabitants in the 2020 Census.

Instead of banning lawn sprinklers and the like there, the government bans 7 gallon toilets everywhere.

I use this as an example of the stupidity of our overlords in Washington. They have the power to dictate anything and everything, and usually they dictate the wrong thing to do. Making it easier to live in a desert is a dumb move because people will move into the desert and expect water.

I blame Lyndon Johnson for this because before he became president, we had a pretty good thing going. The economy was roaring, factory workers could escape crowded cities for the suburbs and the murder rate was 4.6 people per 100,000 when he took office in 1963.

By the time he left in 1969, the murder rate soared to 7.3. LBJ’s Gun Control Act of 1968 fueled a rise to 10.2 murders per 100,000 by 1980. It took another 30 years to drop that to the low Eisenhower-level homicide rate.

LBJ wanted to leave a giant legacy of winning World War 3 in Vietnam while creating a Great Society back home. He created programs. Chief among them was the Department of Housing and Urban Development. It began in 1965.

58 years later, our cities are crime-ridden toilets (literally in the streets of San Francisco) lined with junkies living in pup tents. Over those 58 years, HUD has spent roughly $3 trillion dollars.

But LBJ wasn’t alone in turning problems into money pits. The Department of Education has federalized local schools. Gone are the Alice and Jerry reading books, which were written and illustrated by schoolteachers. Instead kids get Gender Queer written by an LGBT activist. Thank goodness Johnny can’t read.

Boy, was Ronald Reagan right when he said government is not the solution; it’s the problem.

Lord Acton’s observation that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely left out the part where power makes you stupid.

A government that we created to protect our rights violates them. The Constitution prohibits the government from being racist or sexist. Our government ignores the Constitution by promoting discrimination against white males. As a white male myself, you can see why I have a problem with it.

Clay S. Jenkinson wrote, “We need a national divorce. We need to separate by red states and blue states and shrink the federal government. Everyone I talk to says this.”

That’s not the divorce we need. The nation was set up to have red states and blue states. No one expected Rhode Island to be Virginia.

The Civil War over slavery was avoidable in 1850 but then Congress stuck its nose in it and made red states return runaway slaves to the blue states. Six years, the Supreme Court ruled that a slave has no rights.

The biggest fear of Patrick Henry — who opposed ratification of the Constitution — was the creation of a large central government that ruled the states. Thanks to the ability to coerce states with cash, we live his worst nightmare.

Expecting Congress or a president to fix this problem is like expecting Lizzo to lose weight. Too many people are Rich Men North of Richmond now. The levers of government are so many and so lucrative that no one will give up any power.

What we need to do is get California and Florida to agree to disagree and part company — abandoning the central government. The 50 states form the United States. It is time for all of us to leave the monster we created.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Another Suber Piece
« Reply #2271 on: October 20, 2023, 04:27:39 PM »
Media fact-checkers rose at the turn of this century when the DNC realized it could discount legitimate arguments this way. The bias came first, then the apparatus. I could forgive or at least tolerate the lies if occasionally these journalists did some public good by pointing out a blatantly misleading lie on the left.

Let me try my hand at this.

CNN said, “As airstrikes in Gaza have forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes and overwhelm areas, including hospitals, there is little room to go. Across the Middle East, Gaza is among the smallest and most densely-packed cities.

“The urban area around Gaza City is home to nearly 2 million people living in an 88-square-mile expanse, which is about 21,000 people per square mile, according to data from an annual Demographia report. Demographia looks at the urban footprint of cities to calculate density, as opposed to official administrative boundaries.”

88 square miles. 21,000 people per square mile. How cruel is is that Israelis force Palestinians to live there, right?

Steven Thomas reported, “The population density of NYC (27,013 people per square mile) dwarfs most other metropolitan areas of the United States. And if you only look at the population density of Manhattan (69,468 people per square mile), it still dwarfs other famously packed places internationally, such as Paris and Hong Kong.”

So Manhattan is more than three times as dense, but it is (or was) a First World city. What about the Third World town?

Thomas reported, “However, cities like Manila (171,301 people per square mile) and Phnom Penh (193,730 people per square mile) dwarf the Big Apple’s density!”

So the population of the capital of Cambodia is nearly 10 times as crowded as Gaza City but somehow Palestinians are the ones who are unfairly packed in like sardines in a can, and not Cambodians.

In the middle of Manhattan is Central Park, which is one of many parks in New York. I tried to find a park in Gaza online. All I came up with is Crazy Water Park, an attraction of three slides and three pools. It opened in May 2010. Hamas closed it down for mingling men with women and three terrorists burned it down in September 2010.

Islam is why Gaza cannot have nice things.

That and the fact that the Palestinian people are rabidly anti-Semitic and consumed by waging a terrorist war to destroy Israel.

My point is Gaza is not overly crowded by any stretch of the imagination.

Then there is the myth of the two-state solution.

Sky News reported, “The two-state solution has long been proposed as the best hope for peace in the Israel-Palestine conflict.

“It would see an independent Palestinian state established alongside the existing one of Israel — giving both people their own territory.

“It is the official position of the U.K., U.S., United Nations — and even Israel itself — but many now say there is little hope of achieving it.”

The two states already exist.

One is called Israel, the other is called Gaza. One side flourishes and provides food, fuel and water to the other while the other side sits around the house collecting welfare checks from Iran.

One makes hormones for trannies while the other side would throw them out the window and to their death.

One had to develop an electronic defense system to keep the other’s rockets from hitting their targets.

One keeps making concessions while the other side keeps up its terrorism.

NBC reported Biden forced Bibi to cave in again and restore water to Gaza. They call it humanitarian aid. I call it inviting even more violence from Palestinians against Israel. The Biden Crime Family collected its bribes from Iran, so what does he care about Israel? He’s a plain old-fashioned anti-Semitic Democrat.

Then there is the myth that Jews are colonialists. Amnesty International and other Marxists join the jihadists in promoting this lie.

AI said, “For half a century, Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip has resulted in systematic human rights violations against Palestinians living there.

“Since the occupation first began in June 1967, Israel’s ruthless policies of land confiscation, illegal settlement and dispossession, coupled with rampant discrimination, have inflicted immense suffering on Palestinians, depriving them of their basic rights.

“Israel’s military rule disrupts every aspect of daily life in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. It continues to affect whether, when and how Palestinians can travel to work or school, go abroad, visit their relatives, earn a living, attend a protest, access their farmland, or even access electricity or a clean water supply. It means daily humiliation, fear and oppression. People’s entire lives are effectively held hostage by Israel.”

The Arabs attacked Israel in 1967. In six days, Israel routed them and won the land. There is nothing illegal. Don’t want none, don’t start none.

As for human rights, Israel provides for Palestinians in Gaza, not Arabs.

As for colonization, that’s on the Palestinians not the Israelis. Jews took Jerusalem from the Canaanites more than 2,000 years before there was a Muslim religion. Jews are the indigenous people, not Palestinians.

Then there is the myth that there is no difference between the RINOs and the Democrats on the issue.

Nikki Haley definitely sides with Israel as she did when she was ambassador to the UN. Her initial reaction to the October 7 attacks was “Finish them. They are only going to try and kill us and kill Israelis. We’ve got to put an end to this.”

Excellent.

It was reported that she wants the USA to take in a million Palestinians. Nonsense. She said half the people in Gaza don’t support Hamas and should be allowed to settle elsewhere. Her spokesman later clarified, saying, “Nikki Haley opposes the U.S. taking in Gazans. She thinks Hamas-supporting countries like Iran, Qatar, and Turkey should take any refugees.”

Meanwhile, National Review reported, “U.S. representative Cory Mills (R., Fla.) successfully rescued 96 Americans stranded in Israel after launching a rescue operation of his own early last week, in the wake of the Jewish nation’s recently ignited war with Hamas.”

Notice how the Never Trumpers made the war sound like Israel started it.

And not to be outdone, Governor Ron DeSantis worked with a non-profit group to get nearly 300 Americans rescued from Israel.

I cannot decide whether the biggest myth is 1. Palestinians are the good guys, or 2. Palestinians hate Hamas. Good guys do not kill their own people.

The Sun reported, “Drone footage and a wiretapped phone call between two Hamas terrorists are said to prove the deadly Gaza hospital explosion was caused by a misfired Islamic Jihad rocket.

“Israel released its evidence after vehemently denying responsibility for a catastrophic explosion at the Al-Ahli Hospital that reportedly killed more than 500 people.”

This is but the latest example of Black September/PLO/Hezbollah/Hamas hiding behind women and children.

But the myth of Palestinians not supporting Hamas may be worse than considering terrorists who rape, kill and mutilate to be good guys.

Newsweek reported, “Hundreds gathered in a theater in Dearborn, Michigan, on Tuesday night to share their support for the Palestinian cause and condemn the Israeli government.”

Mind you, these are alleged refugees from the maelstrom that Palestinian terrorists unleashed in the 1970s. They are Muslim moles.

The final myth is that America is a friend of Israel. That may be true under a Republican president, but both Obama and Biden turned the USA into a frenemy as they coerced Israel to make concessions to the Palestinians that only encourage more violence and terrorism.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Newsweek author has it backwards (no accident)
« Reply #2273 on: October 24, 2023, 09:38:29 PM »
Left are the  intellectuals who will defend democracy

and the Right are the idiots who will run it into the ground

I can't speak for politics in Israel

but applying this to the US is ASS backwards

but what else to expect from Newsweek article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-terrorists-secret-advantage-was-israel-s-idiocracy-opinion/ar-AA1iMJVK?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=fd53a458b806493182e02f5325bca6c0&ei=7

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
How Democracies Die
« Reply #2275 on: November 01, 2023, 08:49:10 AM »
by two harvard political "scientists"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Democracies_Die

Newsweek WP NYT Guardian Obama all list it with rave reviews

so you know the biased slant it sings

the anwser is TRUMP ! is how this happens.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: How Democracies Die
« Reply #2276 on: November 01, 2023, 11:34:51 AM »
by two harvard political "scientists"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Democracies_Die

Newsweek WP NYT Guardian Obama all list it with rave reviews

so you know the biased slant it sings

the anwser is TRUMP ! is how this happens.

Ye gods, the willing blindness to the irony embraced bu all cited astounds.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 06, 2023, 05:09:16 AM »
It is the wee hours and I cannot sleep. Herewith a beer fueled rant:

In our ongoing conversations about the Ukrainian war, we have consistently warned that we were going to get tag teamed which is what we are but beginning to see now in Ukraine and the Middle East, with Taiwan and the American heartland to follow.

We are led by blithering idiots.

Was it not Obama who brought the Russians back into the Middle East? Is he not the true President now? Was it not Obama-Biden who threw away the Pryhic Victory in Iraq by withdrawing meaningful American presence and by so doing creating the vaccum that enabled the Isis caliphate? Was it not Obama -Biden who gave Iran $140+Billion and the right to nuke bombs in a finite number of years (approx 12 IIRC) ? and which enabled an Iranian crescent all the way to Hezbollah? Was it not Biden-Blinken-Milley-Austin et al who created the greatest shame of American arms in our history in Afghanistan? Was it not Biden who pulled the US Navy from the Black Sea in the run up to the Russian invasion while Biden spoke of accepting a "minor incursion"? Was it not Biden who failed to enforce theoil sanctions on Iran thus enabling some $40-100B in revenues-- and then signed off on $6B in ransom? While also funding Hamas? And even now wants to send $100M to Hamas while pressuring Isreal to cease fire? Was it not the Woke Prog-Covid policies of the Biden Pentagon that warred on the warrior culture of our military and by so doing now leave us with trememdous recruiting short falls? And who is it that directly and purposely who has destroyed our assertion of our southern border to the tune of 7+ million and counting UNVETTED illegal aliens? Meaning we are already penetrated by unknown numbers of fifth columnists? And who is it that emptied our petroleum reserve for its electoral benefit of lowering gasoline prices? And who is it that has reduced our military budget? (i.e.constant dollars, not inflated ones?) And whose reckless spending now has us paying more in interest on the national debt than our military budget-- with this trend accelerating?

Prepare to have our assumptions shattered people.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 06, 2023, 05:45:13 AM »
One suggestion.  When you wake up, put this rant on a video and post it to the internet.

It's time that we reach more people.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: November 06, 2023, 07:27:22 AM »
CD

to all your questions the answer is YES

watch, somehow Blinken will probably get a Nobel Peace Prize for running around all over (with daily media reports of where when he is going and meeting with whom)
with endless ceaseless talk of having "conversation" (I hate how CNN uses this  phrase), "negotiations" (always from weakness), more tantamount to begging and pleading with big mouth and no stick.

Don't we wish we had Mike Pompeo negotiating from a position of strength, sanctioning Iran and taking them on .

Israel cannot accept a nuclear Iran, but I don't get the impression they can take it on by itself.

So lets get it done.

Worse would be not only Iran getting nucs but the other Arab states  race to get them - Turkey, SA etc.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
American Spectator - Virginia
« Reply #2282 on: November 09, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »
https://spectator.org/whats-the-matter-with-virginia/

"This is not your father’s Virginia — it’s your grandfather’s."

From Southern Democrat to Republican back to big goverment Democrat

" Latin American immigration hitting Virginia earlier and heavier than most states not on the southern border, government employees becoming more plentiful, and once middle-class counties becoming among the nation’s wealthiest contributed to this political shapeshifting."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
we need more interdependence between nations not less
« Reply #2284 on: November 18, 2023, 12:15:51 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-decadent-west-has-come-face-to-face-with-the-future-and-the-end-of-its-dominance/ar-AA1k9mrA?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=d9e18810c3854fbbb576f90a4654a65e&ei=9

I don't think more trade is the answer
especially when we have determined enemies with or without trade.

author discounts war is best avoided by deterrence not by trade

speak softly and carry a very big stick

but no easy answer.

BTW lots of trade has helped strengthen China and CCP
from theft unfair practices etc

Russia will be our adversary with or without trade it seems

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
2003: Feminism AWOL on Islam
« Reply #2285 on: December 04, 2023, 06:30:16 PM »
Why Feminism Is AWOL on Islam
Kay S. Hymowitz

U.S. feminists should be protesting the brutal oppression of Middle Eastern women. But doing so would reveal how little they have to complain about at home.

Argue all you want with many feminist policies, but few quarrel with feminism?s core moral insight, which changed the lives (and minds) of women forever: that women are due the same rights and dignity as men. So, as news of the appalling miseries of women in the Islamic world has piled up, where are the feminists? Where?s the outrage? For a brief moment after September 11, when pictures of those blue alien-creaturely shapes in Afghanistan filled the papers, it seemed as if feminists were going to have their moment. And in fact the Feminist Majority, to its credit, had been publicizing since the mid-90s how Afghan girls were barred from school, how women were stoned for adultery or beaten for showing an ankle or wearing high-heeled shoes, how they were prohibited from leaving the house unless accompanied by a male relative, how they were denied medical help because the only doctors around were male.

But the rest is feminist silence. You haven?t heard a peep from feminists as it has grown clear that the Taliban were exceptional not in their extreme views about women but in their success at embodying those views in law and practice. In the United Arab Emirates, husbands have the right to beat their wives in order to discipline them??provided that the beating is not so severe as to damage her bones or deform her body,? in the words of the Gulf News. In Saudi Arabia, women cannot vote, drive, or show their faces or talk with male non-relatives in public. (Evidently they can?t talk to men over the airwaves either; when Prince Abdullah went to President Bush?s ranch in Crawford last April, he insisted that no female air-traffic controllers handle his flight.) Yes, Saudi girls can go to school, and many even attend the university; but at the university, women must sit in segregated rooms and watch their professors on closed-circuit televisions. If they have a question, they push a button on their desk, which turns on a light at the professor?s lectern, from which he can answer the female without being in her dangerous presence. And in Saudi Arabia, education can be harmful to female health. Last spring in Mecca, members of the mutaween, the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue, pushed fleeing students back into their burning school because they were not properly covered in abaya. Fifteen girls died.

You didn?t hear much from feminists when in the northern Nigerian province of Katsina a Muslim court sentenced a woman to death by stoning for having a child outside of marriage. The case might not have earned much attention?stonings are common in parts of the Muslim world?except that the young woman, who had been married off at 14 to a husband who ultimately divorced her when she lost her virginal allure, was still nursing a baby at the time of sentencing. During her trial she had no lawyer, although the court did see fit to delay her execution until she weans her infant.

You didn?t hear much from feminists as it emerged that honor killings by relatives, often either ignored or only lightly punished by authorities, are also commonplace in the Muslim world. In September, Reuters reported the story of an Iranian man, ?defending my honor, family, and dignity,? who cut off his seven-year-old daughter?s head after suspecting she had been raped by her uncle. The postmortem showed the girl to be a virgin. In another family mix-up, a Yemeni man shot his daughter to death on her wedding night when her husband claimed she was not a virgin. After a medical exam revealed that the husband was mistaken, officials concluded he was simply trying to protect himself from embarrassment about his own impotence. According to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, every day two women are slain by male relatives seeking to avenge the family honor.

The savagery of some of these murders is worth a moment?s pause. In 2000, two Punjabi sisters, 20 and 21 years old, had their throats slit by their brother and cousin because the girls were seen talking to two boys to whom they were not related. In one especially notorious case, an Egyptian woman named Nora Marzouk Ahmed fell in love and eloped. When she went to make amends with her father, he cut off her head and paraded it down the street. Several years back, according to the Washington Post, the husband of Zahida Perveen, a 32-year-old pregnant Pakistani, gouged out her eyes and sliced off her earlobe and nose because he suspected her of having an affair.

In a related example widely covered last summer, a teenage girl in the Punjab was sentenced by a tribal council to rape by a gang that included one of the councilmen. After the hour-and-a-half ordeal, the girl was forced to walk home naked in front of scores of onlookers. She had been punished because her 11-year-old brother had compromised another girl by being been seen alone with her. But that charge turned out to be a ruse: it seems that three men of a neighboring tribe had sodomized the boy and accused him of illicit relations?an accusation leading to his sister?s barbaric punishment?as a way of covering up their crime.

Nor is such brutality limited to backward, out-of-the-way villages. Muddassir Rizvi, a Pakistani journalist, says that, though always common in rural areas, in recent years honor killings have become more prevalent in cities ?among educated and liberal families.? In relatively modern Jordan, honor killings were all but exempt from punishment until the penal code was modified last year; unfortunately, a young Palestinian living in Jordan, who had recently stabbed his 19-year-old sister 40 times ?to cleanse the family honor,? and another man from near Amman, who ran over his 23-year-old sister with his truck because of her ?immoral behavior,? had not yet changed their ways. British psychiatrist Anthony Daniels reports that British Muslim men frequently spirit their young daughters back to their native Pakistan and force the girls to marry. Such fathers have been known to kill daughters who resist. In Sweden, in one highly publicized case, Fadima Sahindal, an assimilated 26-year-old of Kurdish origin, was murdered by her father after she began living with her Swedish boyfriend. ?The whore is dead,? the family announced.

As you look at this inventory of brutality, the question bears repeating: Where are the demonstrations, the articles, the petitions, the resolutions, the vindications of the rights of Islamic women by American feminists? The weird fact is that, even after the excesses of the Taliban did more to forge an American consensus about women?s rights than 30 years of speeches by Gloria Steinem, feminists refused to touch this subject. They have averted their eyes from the harsh, blatant oppression of millions of women, even while they have continued to stare into the Western patriarchal abyss, indignant over female executives who cannot join an exclusive golf club and college women who do not have their own lacrosse teams.

But look more deeply into the matter, and you realize that the sound of feminist silence about the savage fundamentalist Muslim oppression of women has its own perverse logic. The silence is a direct outgrowth of the way feminist theory has developed in recent years. Now mired in self-righteous sentimentalism, multicultural nonjudgmentalism, and internationalist utopianism, feminism has lost the language to make the universalist moral claims of equal dignity and individual freedom that once rendered it so compelling. No wonder that most Americans, trying to deal with the realities of a post-9/11 world, are paying feminists no mind.

To understand the current sisterly silence about the sort of tyranny that the women?s movement came into existence to attack, it is helpful to think of feminisms plural rather than singular. Though not entirely discrete philosophies, each of three different feminisms has its own distinct reasons for causing activists to ?lose their voice? in the face of women?s oppression.

The first variety?radical feminism (or gender feminism, in Christina Hoff Sommers?s term)?starts with the insight that men are, not to put too fine a point upon it, brutes. Radical feminists do not simply subscribe to the reasonable-enough notion that men are naturally more prone to aggression than women. They believe that maleness is a kind of original sin. Masculinity explains child abuse, marital strife, high defense spending, every war from Troy to Afghanistan, as well as Hitler, Franco, and Pinochet. As Gloria Steinem informed the audience at a Florida fundraiser last March: ?The cult of masculinity is the basis for every violent, fascist regime.?

Gender feminists are little interested in fine distinctions between radical Muslim men who slam commercial airliners into office buildings and soldiers who want to stop radical Muslim men from slamming commercial airliners into office buildings. They are both examples of generic male violence?and specifically, male violence against women. ?Terrorism is on a continuum that starts with violence within the family, battery against women, violence against women in the society, all the way up to organized militaries that are supported by taxpayer money,? according to Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, who teaches ?The Sexuality of Terrorism? at California State University in Hayward. Violence is so intertwined with male sexuality that, she tells us, military pilots watch porn movies before they go out on sorties. The war in Afghanistan could not possibly offer a chance to liberate women from their oppressors, since it would simply expose women to yet another set of oppressors, in the gender feminists? view. As Sharon Lerner asserted bizarrely in the Village Voice, feminists? ?discomfort? with the Afghanistan bombing was ?deepened by the knowledge that more women than men die as a result of most wars.?

If guys are brutes, girls are their opposite: peace-loving, tolerant, conciliatory, and reasonable??Antiwar and Pro-Feminist,? as the popular peace-rally sign goes. Feminists long ago banished tough-as-nails women like Margaret Thatcher and Jeanne Kirkpatrick (and these days, one would guess, even the fetching Condoleezza Rice) to the ranks of the imperfectly female. Real women, they believe, would never justify war. ?Most women, Western and Muslim, are opposed to war regardless of its reasons and objectives,? wrote the Jordanian feminist Fadia Faqir on OpenDemocracy.net. ?They are concerned with emancipation, freedom (personal and civic), human rights, power sharing, integrity, dignity, equality, autonomy, power-sharing [sic], liberation, and pluralism.?

Sara Ruddick, author of Maternal Thinking, is perhaps one of the most influential spokeswomen for the position that women are instinctually peaceful. According to Ruddick (who clearly didn?t have Joan Crawford in mind), that?s because a good deal of mothering is naturally governed by the Gandhian principles of nonviolence such as ?renunciation,? ?resistance to injustice,? and ?reconciliation.? The novelist Barbara Kingsolver was one of the first to demonstrate the subtleties of such universal maternal thinking after the United States invaded Afghanistan. ?I feel like I?m standing on a playground where the little boys are all screaming ?He started it!? and throwing rocks,? she wrote in the Los Angeles Times. ?I keep looking for somebody?s mother to come on the scene saying, ?Boys! Boys!? ?

Gender feminism?s tendency to reduce foreign affairs to a Lifetime Channel movie may make it seem too silly to bear mentioning, but its kitschy naivet? hasn?t stopped it from being widespread among elites. You see it in widely read writers like Kingsolver, Maureen Dowd, and Alice Walker. It turns up in our most elite institutions. Swanee Hunt, head of the Women in Public Policy Program at Harvard?s Kennedy School of Government wrote, with Cristina Posa in Foreign Policy: ?The key reason behind women?s marginalization may be that everyone recognizes just how good women are at forging peace.? Even female elected officials are on board. ?The women of all these countries should go on strike, they should all sit down and refuse to do anything until their men agree to talk peace,? urged Ohio representative Marcy Kaptur to the Arab News last spring, echoing an idea that Aristophanes, a dead white male, proposed as a joke 2,400 years ago. And President Clinton is an advocate of maternal thinking, too. ?If we?d had women at Camp David,? he said in July 2000, ?we?d have an agreement.?

Major foundations too seem to take gender feminism seriously enough to promote it as an answer to world problems. Last December, the Ford Foundation and the Soros Open Society Foundation helped fund the Afghan Women?s Summit in Brussels to develop ideas for a new government in Afghanistan. As Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler described it on her website, the summit was made up of ?meetings and meals, canvassing, workshops, tears, and dancing.? ?Defense was mentioned nowhere in the document,? Ensler wrote proudly of the summit?s concluding proclamation?despite the continuing threat in Afghanistan of warlords, bandits, and lingering al-Qaida operatives. ?uilding weapons or instruments of retaliation was not called for in any category,? Ensler cooed. ?Instead [the women] wanted education, health care, and the protection of refugees, culture, and human rights.?

Too busy celebrating their own virtue and contemplating their own victimhood, gender feminists cannot address the suffering of their Muslim sisters realistically, as light years worse than their own petulant grievances. They are too intent on hating war to ask if unleashing its horrors might be worth it to overturn a brutal tyranny that, among its manifold inhumanities, treats women like animals. After all, hating war and machismo is evidence of the moral superiority that comes with being born female.

Yet the gender feminist idea of superior feminine virtue is becoming an increasingly tough sell for anyone actually keeping up with world events. Kipling once wrote of the fierceness of Afghan women: ?When you?re wounded and left on the Afghan plains/And the women come out to cut up your remains/Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains.? Now it?s clearer than ever that the dream of worldwide sisterhood is no more realistic than worldwide brotherhood; culture trumps gender any day. Mothers all over the Muslim world are naming their babies Usama or praising Allah for their sons? efforts to kill crusading infidels. Last February, 28-year-old Wafa Idris became the first female Palestinian suicide bomber to strike in Israel, killing an elderly man and wounding scores of women and children. And in April, Israeli soldiers discovered under the maternity clothes of 26-year-old Shifa Adnan Kodsi a bomb rather than a baby. Maternal thinking, indeed.

The second variety of feminism, seemingly more sophisticated and especially prevalent on college campuses, is multiculturalism and its twin, postcolonialism. The postcolonial feminist has even more reason to shy away from the predicament of women under radical Islam than her maternally thinking sister. She believes that the Western world is so sullied by its legacy of imperialism that no Westerner, man or woman, can utter a word of judgment against former colonial peoples. Worse, she is not so sure that radical Islam isn?t an authentic, indigenous?and therefore appropriate?expression of Arab and Middle Eastern identity.

The postmodern philosopher Michel Foucault, one of the intellectual godfathers of multiculturalism and postcolonialism, first set the tone in 1978 when an Italian newspaper sent him to Teheran to cover the Iranian revolution. As his biographer James Miller tells it, Foucault looked in the face of Islamic fundamentalism and saw . . . an awe-inspiring revolt against ?global hegemony.? He was mesmerized by this new form of ?political spirituality? that, in a phrase whose dark prescience he could not have grasped, portended the ?transfiguration of the world.? Even after the Ayatollah Khomeini came to power and reintroduced polygamy and divorce on the husband?s demand with automatic custody to fathers, reduced the official female age of marriage from 18 to 13, fired all female judges, and ordered compulsory veiling, whose transgression was to be punished by public flogging, Foucault saw no reason to temper his enthusiasm. What was a small matter like women?s basic rights, when a struggle against ?the planetary system? was at hand?

Postcolonialists, then, have their own binary system, somewhat at odds with gender feminism?not to mention with women?s rights. It is not men who are the sinners; it is the West. It is not women who are victimized innocents; it is the people who suffered under Western colonialism, or the descendants of those people, to be more exact. Caught between the rock of patriarchy and the hard place of imperialism, the postcolonial feminist scholar gingerly tiptoes her way around the subject of Islamic fundamentalism and does the only thing she can do: she focuses her ire on Western men.

To this end, the postcolonialist eagerly dips into the inkwell of gender feminism. She ties colonialist exploitation and domination to maleness; she might refer to Israel?s ?masculinist military culture??Israel being white and Western?though she would never dream of pointing out the ?masculinist military culture? of the jihadi. And she expends a good deal of energy condemning Western men for wanting to improve the lives of Eastern women. At the turn of the twentieth century Lord Cromer, the British vice consul of Egypt and a pet target of postcolonial feminists, argued that the ?degradation? of women under Islam had a harmful effect on society. Rubbish, according to the postcolonialist feminist. His words are simply part of ?the Western narrative of the quintessential otherness and inferiority of Islam,? as Harvard professor Leila Ahmed puts it in Women and Gender in Islam. The same goes for American concern about Afghan women; it is merely a ?device for ranking the ?other? men as inferior or as ?uncivilized,? ? according to Nira Yuval-Davis, professor of gender and ethnic studies at the University of Greenwich, England. These are all examples of what renowned Columbia professor Gayatri Spivak called ?white men saving brown women from brown men.?

Spivak?s phrase, a great favorite on campus, points to the postcolonial notion that brown men, having been victimized by the West, can never be oppressors in their own right. If they give the appearance of treating women badly, the oppression they have suffered at the hands of Western colonial masters is to blame. In fact, the worse they treat women, the more they are expressing their own justifiable outrage. ?When men are traumatized [by colonial rule], they tend to traumatize their own women,? Miriam Cooke, a Duke professor and head of the Association for Middle East Women?s Studies, told me. And today, Cooke asserts, brown men are subjected to a new form of imperialism. ?Now there is a return of colonialism that we saw in the nineteenth century in the context of globalization,? she says. ?What is driving Islamist men is globalization.?

It would be difficult to exaggerate the through-the-looking-glass quality of postcolonialist theory when it comes to the subject of women. Female suicide bombers are a good thing, because they are strong women demonstrating ?agency? against colonial powers. Polygamy too must be shown due consideration. ?Polygamy can be liberating and empowering,? Cooke answered sunnily when I asked her about it. ?Our norm is the Western, heterosexual, single couple. If we can imagine different forms that would allow us to be something other than a heterosexual couple, we might imagine polygamy working,? she explained murkily. Some women, she continued, are relieved when their husbands take a new wife: they won?t have to service him so often. Or they might find they now have the freedom to take a lover. But, I ask, wouldn?t that be dangerous in places where adulteresses can be stoned to death? At any rate, how common is that? ?I don?t know,? Cooke answers, ?I?m interested in discourse.? The irony couldn?t be darker: the very people protesting the imperialist exploitation of the ?Other? endorse that Other?s repressive customs as a means of promoting their own uniquely Western agenda?subverting the heterosexual patriarchy.

The final category in the feminist taxonomy, which might be called the world-government utopian strain, is in many respects closest to classical liberal feminism. Dedicated to full female dignity and equality, it generally eschews both the biological determinism of the gender feminist and the cultural relativism of the multiculti postcolonialist. Stanford political science professor Susan Moller Okin, an influential, subtle, and intelligent spokeswoman for this approach, created a stir among feminists in 1997 when she forthrightly attacked multiculturalists for valuing ?group rights for minority cultures? over the well-being of individual women. Okin admirably minced no words attacking arranged marriage, female circumcision, and polygamy, which she believed women experienced as a ?barely tolerable institution.? Some women, she went so far as to declare, ?might be better off if the culture into which they were born were either to become extinct . . . or preferably, to be encouraged to alter itself so as to reinforce the equality of women.?

But though Okin is less shy than other feminists about discussing the plight of women under Islamic fundamentalism, the typical U.N. utopian has her own reasons for keeping quiet as that plight fills Western headlines. For one thing, the utopian is also a bean-counting absolutist, seeking a pure, numerical equality between men and women in all departments of life. She greets Western, and particularly American, claims to have achieved freedom for women with skepticism. The motto of the 2002 International Women?s Day??Afghanistan Is Everywhere??was in part a reproach to the West about its superior airs. Women in Afghanistan might have to wear burqas, but don?t women in the West parade around in bikinis? ?It?s equally disrespectful and abusive to have women prancing around a stage in bathing suits for cash or walking the streets shrouded in burqas in order to survive,? columnist Jill Nelson wrote on the MSNBC website about the murderously fanatical riots that attended the Miss World pageant in Nigeria.

As Nelson?s statement hints, the utopian is less interested in freeing women to make their own choices than in engineering and imposing her own elite vision of a perfect society. Indeed, she is under no illusions that, left to their own democratic devices, women would freely choose the utopia she has in mind. She would not be surprised by recent Pakistani elections, where a number of the women who won parliamentary seats were Islamist. But it doesn?t really matter what women want. The universalist has a comprehensive vision of ?women?s human rights,? meaning not simply women?s civil and political rights but ?economic rights? and ?socioeconomic justice.? Cynical about free markets and globalization, the U.N. utopian is also unimpressed by the liberal democratic nation-state ?as an emancipatory institution,? in the dismissive words of J. Ann Tickner, director for international studies at the University of Southern California. Such nation-states are ?unresponsive to the needs of [their] most vulnerable members? and seeped in ?nationalist ideologies? as well as in patriarchal assumptions about autonomy. In fact, like the (usually) unacknowledged socialist that she is, the U.N. utopian eagerly awaits the withering of the nation-state, a political arrangement that she sees as tied to imperialism, war, and masculinity. During war, in particular, nations ?depend on ideas about masculinized dignity and feminized sacrifice to sustain the sense of autonomous nationhood,? writes Cynthia Enloe, professor of government at Clark University.

Having rejected the patriarchal liberal nation-state, with all the democratic machinery of self-government that goes along with it, the utopian concludes that there is only one way to achieve her goals: to impose them through international government. Utopian feminists fill the halls of the United Nations, where they examine everything through the lens of the ?gender perspective? in study after unreadable study. (My personal favorites: ?Gender Perspectives on Landmines? and ?Gender Perspectives on Weapons of Mass Destruction,? whose conclusion is that landmines and WMDs are bad for women.)

The 1979 U.N. Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), perhaps the first and most important document of feminist utopianism, gives the best sense of the sweeping nature of the movement?s ambitions. CEDAW demands many measures that anyone committed to democratic liberal values would applaud, including women?s right to vote and protection against honor killings and forced marriage. Would that the document stopped there. Instead it sets out to impose a utopian order that would erase all distinctions between men and women, a kind of revolution of the sexes from above, requiring nations to ?take all appropriate measures to modify the social and cultural patterns of conduct of men and women? and to eliminate ?stereotyped roles? to accomplish this legislative abolition of biology. The document calls for paid maternity leave, nonsexist school curricula, and government-supported child care. The treaty?s 23-member enforcement committee hectors nations that do not adequately grasp that, as Enloe puts it, ?the personal is international.? The committee has cited Belarus for celebrating Mother?s Day, China for failing to legalize prostitution, and Libya for not interpreting the Qur?an in accordance with ?committee guidelines.?

Confusing ?women?s participation? with self-determination, and numerical equivalence with equality, CEDAW utopians try to orchestrate their perfect society through quotas and affirmative-action plans. Their bean-counting mentality cares about whether women participate equally, without asking what it is that they are participating in or whether their participation is anything more than ceremonial. Thus at the recent Women?s Summit in Jordan, Rima Khalaf suggested that governments be required to use quotas in elections ?to leapfrog women to power.? Khalaf, like so many illiberal feminist utopians, has no hesitation in forcing society to be free. As is often the case when elites decide they have discovered the route to human perfection, the utopian urge is not simply antidemocratic but verges on the totalitarian.

That this combination of sentimental victimhood, postcolonial relativism, and utopian overreaching has caused feminism to suffer so profound a loss of moral and political imagination that it cannot speak against the brutalization of Islamic women is an incalculable loss to women and to men. The great contribution of Western feminism was to expand the definition of human dignity and freedom. It insisted that all human beings were worthy of liberty. Feminists now have the opportunity to make that claim on behalf of women who in their oppression have not so much as imagined that its promise could include them, too. At its best, feminism has stood for a rich idea of personal choice in shaping a meaningful life, one that respects not only the woman who wants to crash through glass ceilings but also the one who wants to stay home with her children and bake cookies or to wear a veil and fast on Ramadan. Why shouldn?t feminists want to shout out their own profound discovery for the world to hear?

Perhaps, finally, because to do so would be to acknowledge the freedom they themselves enjoy, thanks to Western ideals and institutions. Not only would such an admission force them to give up their own simmering resentments; it would be bad for business.
The truth is that the free institutions?an independent judiciary, a free press, open elections?that protect the rights of women are the same ones that protect the rights of men. The separation of church and state that would allow women to escape the burqa would also free men from having their hands amputated for theft. The education system that would teach girls to read would also empower millions of illiterate boys. The capitalist economies that bring clean water, cheap clothes, and washing machines that change the lives of women are the same ones that lead to healthier, freer men. In other words, to address the problems of Muslim women honestly, feminists would have to recognize that free men and women need the same things?and that those are things that they themselves already have. And recognizing that would mean an end to feminism as we know it.

There are signs that, outside the academy, middlebrow literary circles, and the United Nations, feminism has indeed met its Waterloo. Most Americans seem to realize that September 11 turned self-indulgent sentimental illusions, including those about the sexes, into an unaffordable luxury. Consider, for instance, women?s attitudes toward war, a topic on which politicians have learned to take for granted a gender gap. But according to the Pew Research Center, in January 2002, 57 percent of women versus 46 percent of men cited national security as the country?s top priority. There has been a ?seismic gender shift on matters of war,? according to pollster Kellyanne Conway. In 1991, 45 percent of U.S. women supported the use of ground troops in the Gulf War, a substantially smaller number than the 67 percent of men. But as of November, a CNN survey found women were more likely than men to support the use of ground troops against Iraq, 58 percent to 56 percent. The numbers for younger women were especially dramatic. Sixty-five percent of women between 18 and 49 support ground troops, as opposed to 48 percent of women 50 and over. Women are also changing their attitudes toward military spending: before September 11, only 24 percent of women supported increased funds; after the attacks, that number climbed to 47 percent. An evolutionary psychologist might speculate that, if females tend to be less aggressively territorial than males, there?s little to compare to the ferocity of the lioness when she believes her young are threatened.

Even among some who consider themselves feminists, there is some grudging recognition that Western, and specifically American, men are sometimes a force for the good. The Feminist Majority is sending around urgent messages asking for President Bush to increase American security forces in Afghanistan. The influential left-wing British columnist Polly Toynbee, who just 18 months ago coined the phrase ?America the Horrible,? went to Afghanistan to figure out whether the war ?was worth it.? Her answer was not what she might have expected. Though she found nine out of ten women still wearing burqas, partly out of fear of lingering fundamentalist hostility, she was convinced their lives had greatly improved. Women say they can go out alone now.

As we sink more deeply into what is likely to be a protracted struggle with radical Islam, American feminists have a moral responsibility to give up their resentments and speak up for women who actually need their support. Feminists have the moral authority to say that their call for the rights of women is a universal demand?that the rights of women are the Rights of Man.

Feminism Behind the Veil

Feminists in the West may fiddle while Muslim women are burning, but in the Muslim world itself there is a burgeoning movement to address the miserable predicament of the second sex?without simply adopting a philosophy whose higher cultural products include Sex and the City, Rosie O?Donnell, and the power-suited female executive.

The most impressive signs of an indigenous female revolt against the fundamentalist order are in Iran. Over the past ten years or so, Iran has seen the publication of a slew of serious journals dedicated to the social and political predicament of Islamic women, the most well known being the Teheran-based Zonan and Zan, published by Faezah Hashemi, a well-known member of parliament and the daughter of former president Rafsanjani. Believing that Western feminism has promoted hostility between the sexes, confused sex roles, and the sexual objectification of women, a number of writers have proposed an Islamic-style feminism that would stress ?gender complementarity? rather than equality and that would pay full respect to housewifery and motherhood while also giving women access to education and jobs.

Attacking from the religious front, a number of ?Islamic feminists? are challenging the reigning fundamentalist reading of the Qur?an. These scholars insist that the founding principles of Islam, which they believe were long ago corrupted by pre-Islamic Arab, Persian, and North African customs, are if anything more egalitarian than those of Western religions; the Qur?an explicitly describes women as the moral and spiritual equals of men and allows them to inherit and pass down property. The power of misogynistic mullahs has grown in recent decades, feminists continue, because Muslim men have felt threatened by modernity?s challenge to traditional arrangements between the sexes.

What makes Islamic feminism really worth watching is that it has the potential to play a profoundly important role in the future of the Islamic world?and not just because it could improve the lot of women. By insisting that it is true to Islam?in fact, truer than the creed espoused by the entrenched religious elite?Islamic feminism can affirm the dignity of Islam while at the same time bringing it more in line with modernity. In doing this, feminists can help lay the philosophical groundwork for democracy. In the West, feminism lagged behind religious reformation and political democratization by centuries; in the East, feminism could help lead the charge.

At the same time, though, the issue of women?s rights highlights two reasons for caution about the Islamic future. For one thing, no matter how much feminists might wish otherwise, polygamy and male domination of the family are not merely a fact of local traditions; they are written into the Qur?an itself. This in and of itself would not prove to be such an impediment?the Old Testament is filled with laws antithetical to women?s equality?except for the second problem: more than other religions, Islam is unfriendly to the notion of the separation of church and state. If history is any guide, there?s the rub. The ultimate guarantor of the rights of all citizens, whether Islamic or not, can only be a fully secular state.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jesse Watters
« Reply #2286 on: December 13, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
VDH
« Reply #2287 on: December 14, 2023, 04:37:43 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: December 14, 2023, 07:55:44 AM »
This is why I love VDH.

Not only can he summarize like no other, I find most often I learn something from him:

"16th-century European mad wave of iconoclastic destruction of religious art"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeldenstorm

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jordan Peterson: Cultural Marxism
« Reply #2289 on: December 15, 2023, 07:58:15 AM »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
BS and its Cascades
« Reply #2290 on: December 17, 2023, 03:27:22 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Best columns and columnists of the past year 2023
« Reply #2291 on: December 30, 2023, 10:44:03 AM »
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/12/the-year-in-columns.php

All these are worth digging into.  Great sources going forward.  IMHO.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:59:10 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Truest Freedom When you don't need anything from anybody, you're impossible to c
« Reply #2292 on: January 02, 2024, 02:54:02 PM »

“The great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

The D’Anconia Journal has, to date, been a repository for thoughts on the importance of individualism and self-reliance.  The reason is simple.  In an age marked by convenience and interdependence, the quest for individual self-reliance has never been more pressing.  I’m not just talking about things like wilderness survival, but the comprehensive ability to rely solely on oneself for life’s needs and personal comfort – regardless of the environment.  It’s personal development, education, and skill acquisition that equips individuals to excel in any situation, whether within the bounds of business, society, or when left to their own devices.  In today's world, life's conveniences are abundant. Information flows freely (this goes for good information, bad information, and disinformation alike), and technology has streamlined our daily routines. With these conveniences comes a paradoxical outcome: a growing sense of dependency.  Worse, a blissful ignorance of dependency! People have become accustomed to outsourcing their needs and responsibilities to external entities, be it corporations, institutions, or even governments. While this convenience may seem inviting, it comes at a steep cost—individual self-reliance.

The very heart of individualism is agency.  That is, the recognition of individual sovereignty and the acceptance of responsibility and accountability of self, to self.  It means the recognition that Life owes you absolutely nothing.  This means a successful individual looks not for handouts and guarantees, but at the furtherance and expansion of his own self-reliance.  At the heart of self-reliance lies the pursuit of an all-encompassing personal education. This education extends beyond formal schooling and degrees; it represents a lifelong commitment to learning, expanding and refining knowledge, assimilating new information and reassessing opinions and beliefs, and skill cultivation. In a world that is ever-changing, static knowledge and abilities quickly become obsolete. Individuals must foster adaptability and continually acquire new skills and knowledge to remain relevant and more importantly, applicable.  In the realm of business, self-reliance empowers individuals not just as employees but as entrepreneurs and leaders. It fosters innovation, encourages calculated risk-taking, and cultivates a unique skill set that distinguishes individuals in a competitive landscape. In business, self-reliance means taking charge of one's career, making informed choices, and continually upgrading skills to stay ahead in a rapidly evolving market.  In “civilized” society, self-reliance translates into active citizenship and community engagement. It entails contributing positively to one's community, being cognizant of the challenges it faces, and taking the initiative to address them. Self-reliant individuals comprehend that societal advancement necessitates active involvement, empathy, and a willingness to collaborate, but ultimately all of that stems from the capacity and effectiveness of the individual.

Self-reliance is not confined to urban or corporate settings; it encompasses survival skills, even in the harshest conditions. Proficiency in sustaining oneself in challenging environments, whether through fundamental survival skills or resourcefulness, is a pivotal aspect of self-reliance. It instills confidence and resilience in the face of adversity.  Embracing self-reliance demands a shift in mindset. It involves rejecting a passive, dependent approach to life in favor of an active, empowered one. It entails seeking opportunities for growth, welcoming challenges as opportunities for development, and seizing control of one's destiny.  In a world that frequently encourages reliance and conformity, self-reliance shines as a beacon of personal empowerment. It serves as the bedrock upon which individuals can construct a life of purpose, resilience, and adaptability. By nurturing self-reliance, accompanied by a well-rounded personal education and a diverse skill set, individuals can not only navigate the complexities of the modern world but also leave an enduring impact on society, business, and their own lives. Embarking on this journey represents an investment in genuine empowerment and self-determination—a lifelong effort worth undertaking.  What follows is a list I created as a sort of “self-check” for myself and my kids.  It is not comprehensive.  In fact, it is a living document I’ve passed around to trusted friends and mentors for their additions and suggestions.  The goal isn’t to create a static set of skills and knowledge areas which, if completed, results in a passing grade and a certificate of self-reliance.  As I mentioned in the very first paragraph, the goal is to create a foundation for the comprehensive ability to rely solely on oneself for life’s needs and personal comfort – regardless of the environment.  Why is this important?  It is important because it means you actually are a free individual.  Without self-reliance, there is no freedom.  Without it, there is no choice but dependence.  With it, you have choices.  You can choose your own path, seek your own way, sustain yourself even when times are hard or when society attempts take things away. Have a look, and ask yourself if you’re capable in each of these areas.  A book could be written about each and every one of these areas – indeed, many have been.  When you happen across an item you’re not familiar with or have no knowledge of, look into the subject.  Learn more.  Go put yourself in uncomfortable environments and new situations and improve your self-reliance.  Remember, no one can take away your knowledge, skills, and abilities.  The more you work on and develop yourself and your self-reliance, the more impervious to collectivism you become.

Basic Life Skills List – Working Copy

I.                 General Skills and Knowledge Areas

·        Reading for Comprehension

·        Writing for Expression

·        Verbal Communication of Complex Ideas

·        Effective and Compelling Storytelling

·        Critical Thinking

·        Logic and Reasoning

·        Brainstorming / Mind-mapping ideas

·        Self-Centering / Mood and attitude control

·        Task Planning

·        Time Management

·        Etiquette

·        Argumentation (classical debate and rhetoric)

·        Dressing for success from the Board Room to the Back Country

·        Social Awareness and Emotional Intelligence

·        Basic functionality in at least one foreign language

II.                Work, Learning Tools, and Productivity

·        Basic Computer Applications, such as word processors, presentation tools, spreadsheets, etc.

·        Website navigation and searches

·        Open AI tools, stems, queries, and methods

·        Traditional Library filing systems

·        Penmanship

·        Journaling

·        Note-taking

·        Maintaining a calendar

·        Time zones and the use of a 24-hour clock

·        Setting up a small business (EIN numbers, State filings, founding documents, banking, etc.)

·        Personal Banking

·        Accounting basics

·        Expense planning and budgeting

·        Government Offices and Agencies and their purposes

·        Social and professional Networking

·        Sketching and diagramming

·        Memory Improvement techniques

·        Condensing and organizing information – “gisting”

·        Use of a scientific calculator and a 10-key machine

·        Dressing for success from the board room to the back country

·        Composing a professional presentation

·        Constructing a teaching curriculum for a skill or idea

III.              Broad Life Skills

·        Environmental Analysis and Assessment

·        Identify positions and navigate by map and other natural/non-electronic means

·        Navigation using available technologies

·        Range estimation to 1000 yards

·        At least 5 methods of shelter construction

·        At least 5 methods of identifying sources of, procuring, and purifying water

·        At least 5 methods of making fire without matches or a lighter

·        At least 5 ways of making expedient sources of all-weather tinder

·        At least 3 ways of transporting fire over long distances

·        Nutritional Assessment

·        Basic Metabolic Rate

·        Macronutrients

·        Identify available sources of each as well as ways to prioritize food collection

·        Use of basic hand tools

·        Basic carpentry and woodworking

·        Improvisational problem solving

·        Identify, process and prepare natural materials for personal use

·        Identify behavior patterns in local fauna for personal benefit

·        Long-distance Signaling and communication

·        Firearms use and safety – At least three basic types; rifle, pistol, and shotgun

·        Use and manufacture of at least 5 types of primitive weapons

·        Multiple methods of hunting, trapping, and fishing

·        Tracking game and other humans

·        Identification of nutritional and medicinal plants and fungi

·        Self-protection / fighting basics

·        Sewing

·        Basic leatherworking

·        Improvised tools

·        Basic mechanics and engineering principles

·        First Aid and Trauma care

·        Rappelling and basic mountaineering

·        Loading and packing persons, animals, and vehicles for long distance travel

·        Camp comfort and hygiene

·        Food preparation, cooking, baking

·        Basic vehicle inspection, maintenance, and repair

·        Build and repair a bicycle

·        Build and repair skis and snowshoes

·        Swimming and water safety in lakes, rivers, and the ocean

·        Travel hazards in each ecosystem and climate (to include the urban)

·        Basic metallurgy and metal working techniques and tools

·        Basic stoneworking for toolmaking and weapon-building

·        Emergency/Crisis management

·        Leadership

·        Teamwork

·          Driving a vehicle (manual or automatic transmission)

·        Riding a motorcycle

·        Riding a horse (tack, pack, or bareback)

·        Small boat operations (kayak, canoe, sailboat, raft)

·        Swimming and basic water rescue

·        Methods of travel and transporting people and goods in dangerous or austere environments

·        Identify and prepare a suitable helicopter landing zone

·        Personnel Recovery planning and preparation

·        Skills Assessment and Organization of tasks

·        Crisis Psychology

·        Disaster and Crisis Management

IV.              General Education

·        History

·        Political Science

·        Civics / Government / World Affairs

·        Philosophy

·        Physical Sciences

·        Mathematical Problem solving

·        Basic Technology Operation

·        Art

·        Music

·        Language and Grammar

·        Physical Education and Exercise principles

·        Economics

·        Behavioral Psychology

V.               Activities for Personal Development (great list for kids/teens to execute as well as for adults)

·        Read 10 important literary works

·        Write a short story, a poem, and a song

·        Paint a picture, draw a person, make a sculpture

·        Make a piece of furniture

·        Set up a remote camp and stay there for two days and nights

·        Write a summary of 3-5 economic systems.  Compare and contrast

·        Write a summary of 3-5 political systems.  Compare and contrast

·        Create an accurate map of a 1 mile by 1 mile area

·        Plan your household’s expenses for 1 month.  Do all the shopping and bill paying

·        Write a letter to a Senator or Congressperson about an important issue

·        Write a summary of an important scientific principle or theory

·        Write a summary of an important historical period and how its events shaped the present day

·        Set up a primitive outdoor kitchen and prepare a meal for multiple people

·        Choose 5 personal strengths or virtues and write about them, examining how they can be used to improve your quality of life and your level of overall happiness

·        Conduct research on your own and write a persuasive essay in support of your position on a controversial topic.  When finished, conduct additional research as necessary and write to the opposite position.

·        Research a current technology or business model.  Trace the evolution of that technology or business model back to its earliest origins and describe the pivotal developments from then to now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: WRM: Peronism a bad idea for America
« Reply #2293 on: January 09, 2024, 05:59:56 AM »
Javier Milei and Argentina’s Lessons for America
Despite its failures, Perónism is proving a temptation to the left and right in the U.S.
Walter Russell Mead
By
Walter Russell Mead
Follow
Jan. 8, 2024 5:43 pm E

Buenos Aires

When God was creating Argentina, the story goes, the angels thought he was being unfair. “Lord,” they said, “you are giving this country fertile soil, rich mineral resources, a healthy climate, a wonderful port, oil and gas. These people will have everything, and they will rule the world.”

“Don’t worry,” God said. “It will all work out. Wait until you see the Argentines.”

There are no objective reasons this once-prosperous country shouldn’t be one of the richest places on earth. But for roughly the past 100 years, Argentina has been one of the most disappointing economic stories in the world. Measured by per capita gross domestic product, the country was one of the 10 richest countries in the world before the Great Depression. In 2022 it ranked 67th, according to International Monetary Fund data.

When I first came here in the 1980s, I remember watching a family of beggars on the steps of the cathedral as 1-peso notes blew past them in the wind. At 640 pesos to the dollar, it wasn’t worth the effort to snatch them out of the air.

Visiting Buenos Aires again last week, I was struck by how little has changed in 40 years. On the positive side, the city is as beautiful and as culturally vibrant as ever. Economically and politically, however, it seems locked in a time warp. The black-market dollar is still called the “blue dollar,” and people pop up everywhere with offers to exchange it. Ordinary Argentines struggle to make ends meet. Inflation remains a national preoccupation. Last week the peso was again in free fall, and inflation was around 200%. The official exchange rate for the peso fell past 800 to the U.S. dollar, with rates of more than 1,000 available on the black market.

I met Argentines who hoped the recently inaugurated president, Javier Milei, could finally put the economy on a solid foundation after a century of erratic ups and downs. Others have grown jaded with promising new initiatives. In 1989, Carlos Menem was going to stabilize the economy with his de facto dollarization, and in the optimistic atmosphere of the era, Washington policy makers, think tankers and Wall Street investors swallowed the story whole. The Menem era ended in tears as the peso collapsed amid a massive economic crisis.

It will take courage, vision, luck and skill to dismantle the dysfunctional institutions and policies that hold Argentina back. Mr. Milei has made solid moves during his first month in power, by cutting subsidies and pruning some of the regulations and red tape that threaten to strangle the struggling economy. Yet it remains to be seen if he can lead Argentina into prosperity. With a hairstyle crafted, according to his image consultant, Lilia “Lady Lemon” Lemoine, to blend Elvis Presley and Wolverine, Mr. Milei has worked as a TV pundit endorsing both libertarian economics and tantric sex. He’s called Pope Francis “the representative of the Evil One on earth,” and is the proud owner of five cloned dogs.

Worse, of 257 seats in Argentina’s lower house, Mr. Milei’s allies occupy only 38. They hold a mere seven of the 72 spots in the Senate. The courts and bureaucracies teem with bitter critics of his reforms. Argentina’s powerful labor movement hates him.

We should wish Mr. Milei and the roughly 56% of Argentines who elected him well, but I leave Buenos Aires wondering whether Argentina’s past will be America’s future. Under the long shadow of Juan Perón (1895-1974), populist economics, weak institutions, political polarization and contempt for the rule of law have defined Argentine politics for decades. It isn’t hard to spot signs of similar social dysfunction in the U.S. today.

Perón wanted an Argentine economy based on state-directed investment, with officials under his thumb selecting favored industries and telling them how to do business. Thanks to an iron triangle of government bureaucrats, business depending on government incentives and protection for profit, and unions fighting for government subsidies to the corporations that sheltered them, Perónism was as politically successful as it was economically damaging.

President Biden often seems to be a woke Perónist, hoping to build a new American economy around the diktats of green economic planners and diversity consultants, protected manufacturing industries and loyal unions basking in government favor. It takes two to tango, though, and Donald Trump and some GOP populists have also embraced the economics of Argentine decline. Some of the harshest criticism of Mr. Milei’s victory came from those on the so-called new right. Compact magazine editor Sohrab Ahmari slammed the “Argentine weirdo” who was “seemingly grown in a secret laboratory funded by the Koch brothers” for his determination to liberalize Argentina’s system of industrial tariffs.

Fortunately, suspicion of an overreaching state is one of the enduring elements of American populism. Modern America has its problems, but what wrecked Argentina won’t fix the U.S.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ: WRM: Peronism a bad idea for America
« Reply #2294 on: January 09, 2024, 07:03:33 AM »
This is a GREAT article!  The analogy between these two countries is perfect.  The decline, the inflation, the lost opportunities, these are all choices and we have it within our power to NOT GO DOWN THAT ROAD that we are already on.

As an aside, I always thought Walter Russell Mead was a Democrat, maybe a JFK Democrat, but he sure seems to get it on foreign policy and on economics.

When Venezuela went from richest to poorest they said, "it can't happen here".  But it did.

American liberals asked about the Venezuela experience while they supported those same policies here were forced to admit, "maybe they went too far" (with those policies).  'ya think?

Meanwhile the prevailing (lack of) wisdom here is, "it can't happen here".

Why not?  God gives us a break from the laws of economics?  I don't think so.

As sure as Newton's apple is going to accelerate downward at 9.8 meters per second squared, no matter the tree, no matter the continent, America's economy will follow the path of the places whose policies we emulate.

Our politicians are doing this to us because our voters are telling them to.  Stop it!

Argentina will fail, as he points out, because one guy can't bring down the whole entrenched system.  They need super majority support in the whole assembly, top to bottom, as do we.

Here it's still the frog and the water heating to a boil. We have politicians like slow Joe and transformational Barack telling us this water feels pretty good as it heats up.

Two trillion dollar deficits, massive debt, wide open borders and gargantuan dependency programs don't feel pretty good if you have an ounce of economic common sense.

It's not a case of what can go wrong.  It's a case of here is what happens if we don't change course.  And yes, it can happen here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:05:32 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
You Can’t Find Transcendence on a Smartphone
« Reply #2296 on: January 12, 2024, 04:59:38 PM »
What a lovely screed:

Recently the Times published this… unique essay by editor Anna Marks, on Taylor Swift’s sexual tastes, real or imagined. The piece operates by conceding that Swift is known to have exclusively dated men and has never made a single statement suggesting that she’s anything other than heterosexual, then goes on to insist that she’s queer, whatever the fuck that term means in 2024. Marks does this in part by sketching some unconvincing readings of Swift’s lyrics and by laying out conspiracy theoris that remind me of QAnon. But more, Marks simply insists that LGTBQ people need this, that the palpable longing for Swift to be gay among some queer people (the “Gaylors”) can somehow will Swift’s homosexuality into being. It’s essentially a kind of prayer, predicated on the belief that if you want something badly enough, if you’re willing to let go of any concept of privacy or self-definition or human autonomy or basic respect entirely, then the divine might make your wish come true. It’s the Tinkerbell effect for people who desperately want Taylor Swift to be horny for other girls. This would be understandable if it was expressed in the journal of a 14-year-old. Putting it in the page of the biggest newspaper in the world is just…. Well, it’s one of those “the internet was a mistake” moments.

Conversation about the piece has generally been driven by the notion that Marks’s piece was offensive and Swift treated poorly. Swift’s “camp” - I wonder how rich you have to be, to have a camp - is reportedly furious. I don’t really get offended, in that way, but I certainly understand why Swift would find the essay upsetting and invasive. With other people holding down the offense front, though, I’m free to focus on how fucking weird the piece is, and how genuinely bizarre it is that the staid New York Times, the paper of record, decided to publish it. As many people have said, it brings to mind nothing so much as a Livejournal rant from a depressed teenager, perhaps one on a Vyvanse binge. There’s this layer of the story that’s about Swift’s privacy and her autonomy, which I get. But then there’s also the fact that the Grey Lady, which will fact check the claim that the sky is blue, published a piece of what is really just speculative fanfiction. I often write about how over time, internet niches that seem marginal and unimportant subtly become mainstreamed, and suddenly the practices that define those niches are considered unremarkable. Tumblr culture (as distinct from the platform itself, which is unobjectionable) represents the intersection of social justice branding, fandom, and a total lack of boundaries or restraint, and it continues its pitiless march across our cultural institutions. Next week, The Paris Review is running a piece about how Dr. Melfi and AJ Soprano are the OTP that we should all ship, or so I’ve been told.

One interesting element of the essay is that it bucks the usual trend in our culture, which is to act as though the world owes Taylor Swift something that it has refused to give her. (Remember, the notion that Taylor Swift could ever receive adequate payment for existing is wicked.) I think this is part of the reason Marks’s essay has generated such ire - not just the righteous argument that it’s creepy and unfair to make someone the subject of sexual wishcasting in the fucking New York Times, but simply the sense that something is being asked of Taylor Swift. Anyone who reads pretty much anything on the internet knows that that isn’t how it works; the only thing we should ask of Taylor Swift is forgiveness, for surely we have failed to give her all that she deserves.

I’ve already written what I really need to say about the current fervor for Taylor Swift. I would never begrudge Swift’s success as a pop star, in the terms ordinary to pop stars, in the sensible space of normal human love for music and appreciation for the musicians who make it. It’s great that she sells so many records, gets so many streams, wins so many awards, and is beloved by both fans and the media. That’s all to the good, that’s how music works, and she has been rewarded for playing that role beyond the dreams of Croesus. What I find distressing about our current moment is this palpable feeling that no matter how much our culture celebrates and lionizes her, it’s never enough; this constant sense that no matter how much acclaim and riches we give her, we have somehow failed her. She is one of the most richly rewarded and privileged people to ever walk the face of this planet, and the ambient attitude in our culture industry is that we should be ashamed that we haven’t done more to exalt her. It is madness. And yet no one seems to want to point that madness out, I strongly suspect because they don’t want to find themselves on the hitlist of those unfathomably passionate fans. But someone needs to point out that waiting in a line for five months to get concert tickets is not a charming human interest story, but rather a record of deranged and deeply unhealthy behavior. Putting a second mortgage on your house to buy concert tickets isn’t a cute sign of devotion, it’s evidence of a parasitic attachment that can only lead to long-term unhappiness. And I’m willing to guess that many other people feel the same way but are afraid to say so.

I understand that this sort of thing is not unprecedented; Beatlemania springs immediately to mind. But then, the Beatles themselves have always said that Beatlemania was toxic. There’s this incredible moment in the Beatles Anthology documentary series where they show a clip from local news footage during the height of Beatlemania. This teenager guy is standing there with a bunch of angry and weeping friends. When asked by the reporter how he felt, the teenager says that they’re all mad because they were prevented from getting into physical proximity with the Beatles, when “we just wanted to get a piece of ‘em! All we wanted was a little piece of ‘em!” It never seems to occur to him that a bunch of fans wanting to get physically close to you, in order to “get a piece of you,” sounds very scary. Clearly, overinvested fans have always existed. I mean, John Hinckley did his thing more than 40 years ago. (Respect.) And the lines between passionate devotion and pathological parasociality can be very fine. When I was in elementary school, there was a kid who had come from somewhere in eastern Europe who would be brought to tears at the mere mention of Michael Jackson. While I find something very sweet and romantic about that, I do think that there are limits past which public affection becomes something dark and disordered.

The trouble is that the internet is a giant machine which sometimes appears to have the sole purpose of compelling people to take their interests too far. Any internet community dedicated to a particular topic inevitably ends up rewarding those users who take the most extreme position possible in relation to that topic. You can see the incredible rise of artistic populism in the past two decades for a great example. Once upon a time, there was a communal sense that being too invested in children’s media as an adult was a mark of arrested development and something to be embarrassed about; the world’s nerds spent many years developing a persecution complex because of this belief. But it turns out that such social conditioning plays an important role. Once the internet became a mass phenomenon, the nerds all found each other and rebelled against any sense of obligation that they should ever engage with art on any level more sophisticated than “Is this badass???” The media companies eagerly worked to exploit the IPs they already owned, and the ancillary industries that make merch quickly got in on the action too. With the concept of adult tastes having died the same death that befell the concept of adulthood writ large, and the money flowing in, very quickly all culture became children’s culture. The kinds of adult dramas that had once routinely gone to number one at the box office became relegated to arthouse cinemas and, eventually, streaming services; the superheroes had elbowed them all out. Anyone who argued that this all represented a culture that was unwilling to grow up was quickly accused (under whichever shameless terms) of racism or sexism or similar and dismissed.

In 1989, you had a lot of adults who could go and watch Batman and enjoy it and maybe pick up a couple of the commemorative cups from Taco Bell, mere weeks after being one of the many millions who made a hit out of Dead Poet’s Society, a movie about killing yourself over a poem Robin Williams told you to read. You could enjoy the kid stuff while keeping it in perspective. Nowadays, the financial engine behind movies featuring characters like Batman are 35-year-olds whose houses are stuffed full of FunkoPop, who listen to podcasts and watch YouTube channels devoted to these properties, and who can be relied on only to come out to those movies that are based on a preexisting franchise featuring some sort of magic or other types of unreality and which are rated PG-13. There was a cultural expectation that you had to engage with adult art and culture as an adult, a motivated minority of people resented this notion, the internet brought them together in spaces where they could grouse about it, and soon the cultural narrative flipped such that the previous belief that adults should sometimes engage with adult media was considered a kind of bigotry. The really committed nerds, meanwhile, just got busy crafting their next persecution narrative.

The negative consequences of the takeover of media by children’s stories are, I think, in part an expression of what happens when people find themselves in spaces where they can egg each other on and deny the value of restraint. But this is really a story of smaller communities, and there the consequences are more personally severe. Not to again bash a network I used to use and frequently found useful, but Tumblr exemplifies the internet’s tendency to push people into more and more extreme versions of every position that’s popular within their subcultures. You can certainly see this in the competitive social justice posturing that went on to infect Twitter and the world, where the actual righteous purpose of increasing equality and justice became subservient to the demand to express that purpose in an arcane vocabulary and with performative conviction. But I think the fandom world is the purest expression of all of this: what Tumblr consistently does is to take people with normal, deep, passionate attachment to a given movie or show or musician, and transform that into a pathological and parasocial dependence. Tumblr takes people who daydream about the characters in their favorite shows and makes them people who cut themselves in order to contain their emotions about them. I’ve gotten really, really, really into the characters and stories in my favorite books, in my life, and I understand that the impulse is both beguiling and dangerous. All you can do is pull yourself back from it when you can tell you’re in too deep, when you can’t fall asleep at night. What Tumblr and similar communities do is to provide you with someone who will always tell you, “don’t pull back, keep going, go deeper.” The site is littered with people talking about how they have developed attachments to fictional characters that are actively harmful to their regular lives. This drives both their sense that they are truer fans than anyone else and also Tumblr’s business model.

You can see this sort of thing, not just at Tumblr but increasingly everywhere, in the positively violent emotional attachment “fandom” people have to their favorite pairings. They will assert the supremacy of a particular couple - often gleefully unrelated to the actual plot of the source material, like Harry Potter and Snape or whatever - and become incredibly animated when someone denies the legitimacy of that pairing or asserts the superiority of another. The pairing off of of characters unconnected in canon goes back a long way, to the original “slash” communities, and is not at all unhealthy in and of itself. These “one true pairings” are fun and healthy, so long as they’re kept in proper perspective, as all things must be. Similarly, there’s the constant tendency to declare that certain characters are “coded” as gay, or queer, or trans, or similar. This too is unobjectionable, if expressed as a provisional claim. But a lot of these fans don’t want any of this to be considered provisional. The pairing they advance is the right pairing. The character they think is gay is gay, no matter how much or how little evidence there is in the text. And they tend to become very upset if anyone suggests otherwise. In literary terms, a reading that two particular characters would be a great pairing, or that there are subtextual hints that they have a romantic or sexual connection, or that they’re queer, is no more or less valid than any other. But the least valid literary reading is always the one that insists that there are no other valid readings, and this is exactly what predominates in those spaces.

Anna Marks looked at the rules for fictional characters that work on Tumblr, applied them to the most visible human being on the face of the planet, and published what she came up with in The New York Times. What could go wrong!

Marks makes waves at the constant claim that LGBTQ people, like other marginalized groups, lacks representation in arts and media. The entire project of wishcasting Taylor Swift as a lesbian derives its supposed legitimacy from this need - LGBTQ people need this, therefore Taylor Swift is obligated to provide it. Of course, the fundamental objection has to be that, unlike food or clothing or housing or medical care or education, someone’s literal sexual orientation cannot be subject to the expropriative demands of the needy. That is not something that can be given and not something that should be asked for. More to the point, the premise is wrong; LGBTQ people are not only not underrepresented in popular culture these days, in pure numerical terms they’re dramatically overrepresented. That’s not a normative statement, as if I’m suggesting that there are too many, but a reflection of the mere quantitative reality that it simply is not true that lesbian and gay and bi and transgender and queer people do not receive proportional representation in arts and culture relative to their numbers. And, you know, it’s not like gay people haven’t punched well above their weight artistically for a very long time. Of course I believe that there’s still discrimination against LGBTQ people; it’s just that being underrepresented in movies and television simply isn’t a part of that inequality anymore. Liberals are always so resistant to getting new material, even when it’s clear that playing the same old song isn’t addressing the actual needs of marginalized groups. And, you know, the continuing prevalence of homophobia despite all that representation is a pretty clear sign that representation is not in fact such an earth-shattering thing. It’s just something liberals usually control, looking for their keys where the light is.

The deeper, more uncomfortable question is what the endgame is, exactly, for all of the calls for representation. I find it simply undeniable that Hollywood has gone to great lengths in the past five years to attempt to appease that demand, but you can always argue that they need to do a better job, especially if a better job means making diverse art that doesn’t suck. What’s stickier is the assumption that underlies a lot of the rhetoric: that art can only serve you if it is “for you,” in this case meaning featuring and fronting people who are like you in some reductive way. That’s something you see all the time, the call for diverse art specifically because people from minority backgrounds supposedly can’t draw the right kind or amount of enjoyment from art featuring people who don’t look like them. I think diversifying Hollywood is still a worthy project, even after much progress. But the stated logic, I’m sorry to say, undermines some of my most basic assumption about what narrative art is and is for. This can’t carry much cultural weight because, as a white man, I don’t know what it’s like not to be served in that way, and never will, and trust me when I say that I’m open to the idea that my ignorance precludes understanding. I can’t ignore the fact, though, that one of the most time-honored and essential purposes of all of this storytelling is to produce empathy precisely across those lines of difference. What else is the moral purpose of novels or movies, if not that exact project of making us understand that which society has decided we never can? What better challenge is there than that?

I know some people will find this offensive, but when I watch Malcolm X, I empathize with Denzel Washington’s portrayal, I connect with it, I inhabit it, I understand it, I feel it represents me in exactly the terms of people calling for more representation. I see his plight in mine and mine in his. I understand that this sort of talk results in a lot of unhappy letters to the editor, but let me ask you: would the world be better if I didn’t feel this way, about Black or queer or women or disabled characters? If I didn’t connect with artwork by and about people who don’t “look like me,” what would be the advantage? Yes, I recognize that my complete lack of shame or self-consciousness in slipping into the conditions of others is a form of privilege, white privilege, male privilege. And of course I want those who feel marginalized and ignored in society to find their lives honored and respected in art, and I understand why they would guard “their” representation jealously. But I also want them to have the same ability that I have to slip off their demographic trappings and put on someone else’s costume for awhile. That is yet another of my privileges that I think should be spread, not ended. I assure you, I’m not going to stop listening to Mitski’s gorgeous, evocative “Best American Girl” no matter how much the YouTube comments hate that idea. Why not try and be comfortable everywhere you go? If people could get there, perhaps they wouldn’t need Taylor Swift to save them.

I covet other people’s identities, and I take them as it suits me, ruthlessly and without remorse. You can’t stop me. But you can be like me.

Maybe the more salient question is why the actually, openly queer artists that already exist are insufficient for Marks’s uses. Were kd lang, Melissa Etheridge, Tracy Chapman, Dusty Springfield, Tegan & Sara, Janelle Monáe, the Indigo Girls, Queen Latifah, Brandi Carlile, and so many more insufficient inspiration? Or were they simply not “heroic” enough, which is the only conclusion I can draw from the following paragraph?

What if someone had already tried, at least once, to change the culture by becoming such a hero? What if, because our culture had yet to come to terms with homophobia, it wasn’t ready for her?

What if that hero’s name was Taylor Alison Swift?

It’s true - nobody ever tried to change the culture of homophobia. Not even once!

This is what feels cruel in Marks, to me, the overpowering sense that past gay musicians just don’t impress her enough. And the actual claims here read like a parodic exaggeration of criticisms I’ve made of liberalism in the past - that modern liberals vastly overstate the ability of arts and culture to address structural problems. Homophobia does still exist, but it is a structural problem, not a personality flaw of celebrities, and “Taylor Alison Swift could cure homophobia” is an attitude so embarrassing, so fundamentally adolescent, that it’s incredible that a professional writer could think to publish it. Many people have died in various battles for equal rights. I find it absurd and in fact quite ugly to suggest that the problem can be solved by any hero, including a pop star.

I’m forever battling people in the comments here who insist that nothing that ever happens on the internet can ever have any real-world impact. This always strikes me as wishful thinking. Well, look - Tumblr has begun its colonization of the New York Times. If you’d like to find an answer to the question of why so many adolescents are now struggling with emotional problems, the conditions I’m discussing here speak to broader, fundamentally unhealthy dynamics of the internet that definitely matter. I think you could explore the internet history of many school shooters, including Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, and see some of these behaviors at play, the lack of boundaries and of perspective, the self-mythologizing, marinating in communities that always push people to go deeper and more intense. Yes, I think this stuff matters.

Marks ends her piece saying

For a moment, Ms. Swift was out of the woods she had created for herself as a teenager, floating above the trees. The future was within reach; she would, and will, soon take back the rest of her words, her reputation, her name. Maybe the world would see her, maybe it wouldn’t.

But on that stage, she found herself. I was there. Through a fuzzy fancam, I saw it.

And somehow, that was everything.

This is a string of vague faux-profundities of a type that a lot of bad writers reach for when they’re trying to express the operatic heights of their soul. I have no idea how one would go about defining where “her future,” “her words,” “her reputation,” and “her name” begin and end, what constitutes one but not another, and this is a failure of precision that is forgivable in an overwrought Instagram caption but not in the New York Times. I don’t, in fact, think that Marks is a bad writer, although there is a whole other conversation to be had about who the industry elevates and why. No, I think she made the understandable mistake of getting caught up in a kind of reverie that, because it felt intense and personal and true to her, she mistook for being intense and personal and true in fact, in the wider world, in the hearts of us all. But as the saying goes, our guts have shit for brains. I heard that Marks felt compelled to delete her Instagram due to the backlash to the piece, and well, I would offer her words of support if I knew her personally, but I’d also tell her the truth - there is a grace only we can bestow; this is the price that you pay for a loss of control. And I think her editors at the NYT failed her. Their job is to save writers from themselves, and they abdicated that responsibility in the pursuit of the great trinity, buzz, shares, and clicks.

This level of fervor I see all around me, not just for Swift but for celebrities in general, is toxic and not sustainable. When people wake up every day and thank millionaires for bestowing on them an Instagram post shilling weight-loss tea, shouting a lusty “YES MOTHER” to someone who will never know they exist and would not care if they did, something has gone wrong. People are looking in the wrong place, and sacrificing one’s dignity is now so normalized that I don’t know if people even notice that they’ve lost something in the transaction. I think, fundamentally, that people are just desperate to feel something transcendent. But you can’t pull transcendence out of a smartphone. Art moves us to almost impossible emotions, and it’s natural to want to lavish an equal amount of emotion on the artists that make it. But it’s like everything else in life; you should be as absolutely devoted and passionate as you should be, but not an ounce more.

I’m sorry to repeat myself, but I think Swift would do herself a big favor by taking time off and actively working to create distance with her fanbase. There are no more rewards to be earned for her, now, no percentage in trying to become even bigger; the returns have all already diminished. She’s in a place very few human beings have ever been before, and I think that it’s a can’t-lose position where, strangely, a lot of the available moves ahead of her look no-win. Personally, I’d take a year off, and then maybe try to piss my fans off a little bit, to remind them that they owe nothing to each other; they have each thrown their payment in the cup, both Taylor Swift and her fans, and received more than they asked for. Telling them to grow up a little, suggesting that they move on, gently reminding them that they will never know her and that they shouldn’t want to that bad, angrily insisting to them that Fiona Apple was right…. I suspect that approach would be the best thing for both them and her. And anyway people like Marks need that. I’m always telling people that they should worry just as much about the disappointment that follows wanting and getting as they do about the disappointment that follows wanting and not. Anna, what if your dreams are true, your prophecy real, your wishes granted, and Taylor Swift comes out, and you look around and find that you’re still sad and lonely in a sad and lonely world?

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/perhaps-emotional-dependence-on-celebrities

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Feminism is the Mother of Transgenderism
« Reply #2298 on: January 29, 2024, 05:46:10 AM »
This could go in the Transgender thread, but it enters into quite a bit into big picture territory and so I post it here.

https://washingtonstand.com/commentary/feminism-is-the-mother-of-transgenderism

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jordan Peterson on Tom McDonal & Ben Shapiro Rap being #1
« Reply #2299 on: February 04, 2024, 05:02:34 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 05:05:00 AM by Crafty_Dog »