Author Topic: Gov. Bobby Jindal  (Read 6943 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Gov. Bobby Jindal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Jindal did the "Center Seat" on the panel of Bret Baier's Special Report yesterday and impressed me quite a bit.

The only negative was I thought he pandered a bit on Christian themes but overall he was quite good.

*By far the best specificity I have heard about what should replace Obamacare.
*Surprisingly well informed and thoughtful (i.e. he wasn't just regurgitating) on foreign affairs
*Sounded very strong on his record of Governor in LA
*Sounded persuasive on what he had learned from being governor
*Spoke simply and directly, not much a politician's puffery.

I'm not seeing how he gets to raising the money his campaign will need, but the man is worth noting IMHO.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:16:47 AM »
"The only negative was I thought he pandered a bit on Christian themes"

I think so too.   On one hand he talks we are all Americans (which I like) but then goes off on Christianity a bit too much IMHO.  I'll have to email my nephew.  Of course my opinion means mountains.  :wink:   :lol:

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
Jindal is 100% acceptable to me on policy, experience and competence.  My question to him and all of them is their ability to connect and bring more people over to 'our' way of thinking.  Not only to get elected, but a President needs to maintain and build popularity in order to govern effectively. 

I certainly hope he is one of the top ten on the stage debating substantive issues.

I didn't hear his Christian pandering, but they need to be more careful about that.  By Christianity as it relates to politics, most mean Judeo Christian values, which you don't need to be Jewish or Christian to possess IMHO.  Most of the politically active evangelicals probably don't think of Catholic as evangelical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism), so it requires someone like Jindal to openly talk about his faith for them to relate.  But then in the general election a lot of centrists, whose votes they need to win, hate the openness of religion and Christianity from the politicians.

They tend to go on record early in a campaign disclosing the personal side of their faith and how it affects them so that they don't have to be discussing it later.

As an aside, I liked Jeb's line separating church and state, that he looks to people like Milton Friedman, not the Pope, to inform him on economics.  A Catholic conservative is going to lose half of the Catholic vote anyway.  Might as well draw those lines.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
On 3 NYC talk shows today
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:12:32 PM »

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »

The Jindal attack was the "last gasp" effort for trying to stay in the race. He is hoping that he will get a lift from it, and also from the coming debate. If he does not get the lift, he is the next one out.

There is every possibility that a part of his attack was in support of the GOPe, just prior to leaving the race. If we do see him out within the next couple of weeks, then it should be evidence of a pattern of attacks on Trump, with the bottom candidates leading the fruitless charge to oblivion.
PPulatie

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
I don't think Jindal is any sort of GOPe standard bearer. He would be a good president.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
The time I've seen the man speak (e.g. on Center Seat on Bret Baier) he handled himself very well , , , apart from some pandering to the evangelicals.

Best attack yet on Trump though.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:31 PM »
I don't think Jindal is any sort of GOPe standard bearer. He would be a good president.

I agree.  Not too many of the these candidates are 'establishment'. Pointing out the flaws of the frontrunner isn't new, unique or conspiratorial.

The press club  speech should be heard in its entirety.  The slam was in the context that he had already acknowledged Trump's strengths.  On rebuttal, Trump doesn't always bother to do that.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »
"The slam was in the context that he had already acknowledged Trump's strengths."

Which added to its effectiveness.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
1-2% depending upon the poll.  Nuff said.
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »
The points that Jindal made might last longer than his candidacy.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »
That may turn out to be a very prescient observation. 

Wednesday night promises to be real interesting.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jindal tax plan
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
I am posting here.  Received in my email today.  I admit I have not yet read it, but I am sure it is pro growth:

https://www.bobbyjindal.com/policy/tax-reform/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »
A quick skim leaves me with a very favorable impression.  I very much like the 2% rate for low income people so everyone has skin in the game, and like the idea of a zero corporate rate ("tax the CEO, not the corp") but wonder if some problems might arise with it (e.g. smaller salaries in return for extremely cushy work environment paid for with tax free dollars).

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
A quick skim leaves me with a very favorable impression.  I very much like the 2% rate for low income people so everyone has skin in the game, and like the idea of a zero corporate rate ("tax the CEO, not the corp") but wonder if some problems might arise with it (e.g. smaller salaries in return for extremely cushy work environment paid for with tax free dollars).

I also like the 2% feature and I like other parts.  He taxes capital gains as ordinary income which is a big mistake because such a big part of a long term gain is the inflationary component - not a gain at all.

This plan will fall by the wayside just because his candidacy isn't taking off, but hopefully others can carry its good features forward.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
"He taxes capital gains as ordinary income which is a big mistake because such a big part of a long term gain is the inflationary component - not a gain at all."

I am surprised by that.   

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »

"He taxes capital gains as ordinary income which is a big mistake because such a big part of a long term gain is the inflationary component - not a gain at all."

I am surprised by that.   
------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too.  Just a small defect in the sense that this is version 1.0 of a very good plan.  Each of these plans has small flaws, and like 2012, each of the plans is a million times better than what we have now.

Jindal's only problem is charisma.  99.99999% of us don't have what it takes to catch on and be elected leader of the free world. He is a very smart, conservative guy, two term of governor of a sufficiently important state, with a great agenda, honest, no scandals, etc.   I wish someone like him would win, but it isn't going to happen.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Some parting thoughts on Gov. Bobby Jindal
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 07:47:39 AM »
A Stupid GOP Electorate Takes a Pass on the Best Governor in the 2016 Field

Alright. I’m ready to just burn down the primary process.

Do you why I was such a big Bobby Jindal fan? Look at the condition of his state the day he took office, and look at the condition of his state now. Yes, Jindal’s approval rating is way below its peak, and two-thirds of Louisianans think the state is headed in the wrong direction. I’ll explain more on that in a bit. But let’s take a time machine back to 2007, right before Jindal was elected.

Democratic governor Kathleen Blanco had performed so abysmally during Katrina and its aftermath, she chose to not run for reelection. The state-run program to distribute federal disaster relief funds was in typical disarray. By January 2007 -- 17 months after Katrina! -- fewer than 250 of an estimated 100,000 applicants had received payments from the program. New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin was still talking about keeping his devastated locale “chocolate city.” (In 2014, Nagin was convicted on 20 of 21 charges of wire fraud, bribery, and money laundering related to bribes from city contractors before and after Hurricane Katrina; he was sentenced to ten years in federal prison.) The FBI raided the local congressman’s home and found $90,000 cash in his freezer; he was later sentenced to 13 years in prison. Eighty percent of New Orleans was flooded, and 70 percent of homes were damaged. High crime, failing schools, a state government gripped by incompetence and corruption . . . You think the United States of America in 2015 is a mess? Louisiana in 2007 was in as bad a situation as any state in the union has been in the past 50 years.

Look at Bobby Jindal. Just look at him. He’s 90 pounds soaking wet, he speaks a million words a minute, and he’s got the brains for Oxford and can’t hide it at all. When he’s not nerdy, he’s square; he chose to be called “Bobby” because he liked the character on The Brady Bunch. A state that still reveres Huey Long the way the Turks revere Ataturk was never going to give a guy like him the keys to state government unless they were desperate and looking for a miracle.

So they put Bobby Jindal behind the wheel and damn, did he perform. Fed up with government corruption? Jindal recognized that nothing would work if you didn’t fix that first:

Louisiana’s dramatic jump was rooted in the state’s poor performance in 2006, when it was ranked as number 44, with only 43 points. The disappointing score motivated Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal to push a sweeping ethics reform package soon after entering office in January 2008. He signed the bills in the package over a period of several days beginning March 3, 2008, and the new laws took effect this past January. They require all lawmakers to report their outside financial interests -- the first time such disclosure has ever been required in Louisiana. As a result of Jindal’s initiative, Louisiana has rocketed to the top of the Center’s rankings, with 94.5 points, earning the top slot among all 50 states.

Then there’s the economy. Here’s Forbes in 2013:

Louisiana has become one of the most attractive states to do business across a wide spectrum of both traditional and burgeoning industries. This is in large part due to governmental reforms and economic development efforts that were executed in 2008, at a time when most states were pulling back on those efforts due to the beginning of the economic recession. In the past four years, the state has improved on all major business climate rankings, excelling on several lists among the top 10, and luring in dozens of economic development projects that are creating more than 63,000 jobs and over $28 billion in new capital investment.

Just last month, New Orleans was ranked no. 1 overall in economic recovery out of the largest 100 metro areas in the United States, according to the Brookings Institution. Specifically, the Louisiana city came out first in employment, first in Gross Domestic Product output, 87th in unemployment, and 26th in housing prices.

Did Jindal have some wind at his back for much of his first term with higher oil prices in his oil-rich state? Sure, and with oil prices coming down, it’s hurting the state’s economy, one of the reasons for gloom in Jindal’s second term.

Do you like school choice? Jindal pushed for the biggest expansion of it anywhere. Do you like big, sweeping, honking reforms that actually improve schools where they were previously disastrous failures? Look to New Orleans.

Ten years ago, Hurricane Katrina wiped out huge swaths of the city’s infrastructure and displaced its population, a disaster that paradoxically gave the city the chance to redesign its failing school system. Rather than re-create the neighborhood-based schools that had recapitulated generations of poverty, the city created a network of public charter schools. The charters, which have open admission and public accountability, have produced spectacular results. Before the reforms, New Orleans students -- like overwhelmingly poor students in most places -- lagged far behind more affluent students. Since the reforms, the achievement gap has nearly closed. The proportion of New Orleans students performing at grade level, once half the rate of the rest of the state, now trails by just 6 percent:

If immigration’s your issue, here’s the guy who talked about assimilation and could point to his family’s life experience:

“We need to insist people that want to come to our country should come legally, should learn English and adopt our values, roll up their sleeves, and get to work,” Jindal, the Louisiana governor, said in an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “We need to insist on assimilation. You know, in Europe they’re not doing that. They’ve got huge problems. Immigration without assimilation is invasion. That can weaken our country.”

He’s the one who kept telling people to not call him Indian-American, just “American.”

What the hell, Republican-primary voters? I mean, what the hell? A record like that, and you don’t give the guy a second look?

You know why it’s great to have a governor running for president? Because you already have this nice, big detailed record to examine to get a sense of what kind of leader they’ll be. There’s a lot less guesswork than, say, giving the keys to the Oval Office to a CEO, a brain surgeon, or a real-estate developer and saying, “good luck.”

Now, on to Jindal’s home-state troubles. He cut state government in both the easy ways and the hard ways, and people didn’t like it -- including self-identified conservatives.

Huey Long set up a bunch of state-run hospitals; a big project of Jindal’s first term was privatizing them. Here’s Rod Dreher, writing in the ironically-titled American Conservative magazine, lamenting Jindal’s decision to privatize state-run hospitals and refuse the Medicaid expansion offered under Obamacare:
He has largely privatized the state’s public hospitals, and refused as a matter of principle to take the federal Medicaid money due the state because of Obamacare. So now he can tell GOP primary voters nationwide that he stood up to Obamacare . . .

[Baton Rouge] General’s midcity ER is closing, it was announced this week. The hospital was losing $2 million each month treating the indigent, and could no longer sustain that kind of hemorrhaging. This was foreseen back in 2010, when Jindal and the GOP legislature chose to close Baton Rouge’s charity hospital:
Bill Holman, president and CEO of Baton Rouge General Medical Center, said the agreement won’t ensure that the patients who currently receive care at Earl K. Long will move to The Lake. He said an ambulance will take a patient to the closest hospital in an emergency, and when Earl K. Long closes, one of the closest hospitals will be Baton Rouge General’s mid-city campus.

Holman said his hospital couldn’t handle an influx of uninsured or Medicaid patients without the higher reimbursement rates that will be paid only to The Lake.
“We will have no choice but to close services or ration patient care to survive,” he warned.

Services are now closed. There is now no emergency room in north Baton Rouge, where the majority of the city’s poor, uninsured people live.

The title of the piece? “How Bobby Jindal Wrecked Louisiana.”

Here’s another post from Dreher at the American Conservative, this time lamenting the enormity of Jindal’s proposed cuts to higher education.

I know there must be some pro-Jindal Republicans in Louisiana somewhere, but I haven’t yet met one in the three years I’ve been back. When I ask them why they turned on him, every single one says a variation of, “Because he’s sacrificing the state for his national political ambitions.” Most of them add, “He’s destroyed LSU.”

Comes news that the Jindal Administration is forecasting cutting state funding for its public colleges and universities by $200 to $300 million.
The title of that one? “Destroying Louisiana’s Public Universities.”

Those poor public-university professors.

Hell, man, we don’t need conservatives and Republicans to make those arguments. We can get them from liberals and Democrats.

Here’s a governor willing to make the hard cuts, not just the easy ones, and he gets incoming fire from state Republicans and self-identified conservatives. The Left, hey, we count on their opposition. The wishy-washy middle who want everything funded and somebody else to pay for it -- “Hey, let’s just tax the richest one percent!” -- we figure they’ll abandon ship the moment students start protesting. But no, Jindal’s approval rating plummeted in large part because Louisiana Republicans -- many of whom would describe themselves as conservative -- turned against him for “cuts to health-care services and higher education.”

(Another portion of the dissatisfaction in Louisiana stems from locals’ believing he’s spending too much time on his presidential campaign instead of his gubernatorial duties. This is what happens when your governor or senator runs for president. This doesn’t make much sense as a gripe, whether you like or hate your governor or senator. If you like him, that means that guy you like might soon be doing his good work from the presidency, not just the Senate or governor’s mansion. If you hate the guy, why aren’t you glad he’s spending time away from his day job?)

See, a lot of us conservatives walk around in a reassuring trance believing that people like and want small government. Most people don’t. At most, they like and want small government for other people. Farmers like farm subsidies, defense-contractor employees like big spending by the Pentagon, most senior citizens explode at the slightest mention of cuts to Social Security or Medicare. Most self-identified conservatives not only don’t fight for smaller government, they fight against it when it personally impacts them. And then they turn around and complain that lawmakers never manage to reduce the size of government.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
I would like to copy my comment from Pres, thread to the Jindal thread for when he re-emerges.

"Jindal is a good man.  Two term Governor, successful record, young, smart, conservative.  Didn't connect."

Should also point out his approval plunged in LA this summer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-he-nears-a-2016-bid-louisianas-bobby-jindal-hits-political-bottom/2015/06/06/26f9c98e-0a28-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html

The Gov. may very likely be the next Secretary of Energy.  Perhaps the right post for him is higher than that, such as Secretary of State.
--------------------------------

Crafty's post reminded me to look at the demographic changes in Louisiana post Katrina. I found enough material to fill quite a few threads. 

Mary Landrieu, incumbent Senator, D-LA, won 18% of the white vote in 2014. 
http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/11/mary_landrieu_runoff_white_vot.html

Today, nearly 95 percent of students (New Orleans) attend public charter schools. Less than five percent did before Katrina.  (The enabling legislation was pre-Jindal)

Charters have been instrumental in closing the achievement gapm[in New Orleans]: 62 percent of students are now performing at their grade level versus only 20 percent 15 years ago.

Nearly 100,000 fewer African Americans live in the city [New Orleans] today than in 2000. Around 11,500 fewer white residents live there.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150828-data-points-how-hurricane-katrina-changed-new-orleans/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
"Didn't connect"  -  yes that sums it up very simply.

The disastrous post State of the Union Response in the past really hurt him.   He never recovered.

I agree with Crafty and felt he did "pander" a bit too much to Evangelicals.

I find it interesting that many Indians would not support him.  Some called him a traitor.   I am not sure why but probably because he is Christian and not Hindu.  Perhaps because he is a Republican.  I cannot help but conclude that for Asians, Chinese and Indians that they are Democrats for racial reasons.

Maybe he will be offered a higher office on the national stage as his term for governor is ending.

*If* Trump should win I don't know if he pick someone who didn't suck up to him during the campaign.   

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 11:07:59 AM »
"Didn't connect"  -  yes that sums it up very simply.

The disastrous post State of the Union Response in the past really hurt him.   He never recovered.

I agree with Crafty and felt he did "pander" a bit too much to Evangelicals.

I find it interesting that many Indians would not support him.  Some called him a traitor.   I am not sure why but probably because he is Christian and not Hindu.  Perhaps because he is a Republican.  I cannot help but conclude that for Asians, Chinese and Indians that they are Democrats for racial reasons.

Maybe he will be offered a higher office on the national stage as his term for governor is ending.

*If* Trump should win I don't know if he pick someone who didn't suck up to him during the campaign.

Indian diaspora do not support Jindal, not because he changed his religion, but because he has disowned India. He has no connections to the people of India. There are some of Indian origin, who look down on their ex countrymen. OTOH, watch Nikky Haley, she is a christian but maintains her Indian roots, visits Indian cultural and religious institutions in India. Tulsi Gabbard has tried to do the same, but she has been unsuccesful, likely because she is not born in India and the connection is more tenuous.