Author Topic: Rules of the Road/Fire Hydrant/Self Intro  (Read 280852 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
SHOT Show
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
I will be leaving later today for the SHOT show and will return Wed. night.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Will not post on link
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
Crafty,
I tried to move the post over as you requested but I cannot seem to do it.
In addition I tried to find the topic under heading you have but cannot find that either.
ccp

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Welcome to Ya
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
Woof All:

A hearty woof of welcome to my friend who is posting under the name "Ya".  I think we will find him an interesting and knowledgeable contributor on a wide range of subjects.  His first post in on the Afg-Pak thread-- a post of a mere 206 page book.  GM, you may have met your match :lol: in volume, though I suspect you will find considerable overlap in your lines of thought.

TAC!
Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Highly recommended
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
I subscribe to this free newsletter and recommend it highly.  Also, I make an annual donation.

http://patriotpost.us/promote/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the Road/Fire Hydrant
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
Does anyone recall which thread Kostas posted on?

I wanted to ask if he would please clarify his mention of Greeks not liking Bill Clinton.

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
I don't remember, but he said the Greeks liked Obama!   :evil:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
I think he said they preferred him to Bush and Clinton both of whom they saw as more aggressive.

I was just thinking again about his comments about Clinton.

Never have I heard any group not be happy with Clinton for bombing of Serbia.

Listening to the US MSM Clinton is made out to be the equivalent of a Greek adonis (at least with regards to politics) whose bombing of Serbia was a stupendous success.

There are always two sides to every story and I wanted to hear more of the other side from Kostas if possible.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I don't remember, but he said the Greeks liked Obama!   :evil:

Same mad financial skillz!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
Kostas,
Look forward to your insight.
Thanks,
ccp

Body-by-Guinness

Into the Breach, Sorta
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
I've been pushing rocks up various hills of late at work and in other places and so had abandoned energy sinks that don't include some sort of tangible reward. Alas, I've been marking pieces I've been meaning to post in the interim and have gotten to the point where I need to either clear all the bookmarks or get this stuff linked in a place where I'll find it again. As such forgive the coming data dump and I trust you'll understand if I take a pass on the circular arguments.

With that said, my return will likely be sporadic. My eldest turns 18 in a couple weeks and wants to celebrate by backpacking 60 miles or so of Appalachian Trail, followed by a two man tactics pistol course. Can't think of a better way to spend spring break. Earned myself a couple more instructor certs of late and so have been doing my share of teaching and/or learning, too. Indeed, have converted a lot of my keyboarding time into teaching and training time and so expect to be doing more boomstick warrioring than keyboard warrioring this time around.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
We are delighted to have you with us once again.

Enjoy your time with your son.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
What class are you taking?

Body-by-Guinness

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
Local instructor I've been training w/ a bunch. He is an ex-Marine, does something or another for some agency or another somewhere around DC, and is very much of the opinion that everyone should know how to pick up an AK and make it run, and ought to carry a pistol with which they can inspires someone to drop an AK. He's running a one day two-man tactics class for the first time; my son has been through 2 of his classes, think it will be fun to learn two man stuff with him.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
Cool, have fun.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Welcome back BBG!!!  :-) 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
BBG
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:24 AM »
An awesome cornucopia of stellar posts yesterday from BBG!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Glitch on the forum
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:34 PM »
We are having serious internet problems so I will be posting less for a day or three.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »
I'm back!  Great trip.

PS: Never fly Iberia Airlines!

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »
Should have flown El Al.  :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
No doubt!  But my Israeli host booked me on Iberia  :cry:   There is already discussion about my next trip and I have requested no more Iberia.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
I'm hoping at some point for a TSA/Israeli aviation security AAR.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
Yip from , , , a secret location.   :lol:  I am on the road for an oof-the-radar-screen seminar.  Will be back on Monday.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
Give all the secret squirrels my regards!  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
I'm off to Switzerland in 9 hours for one week, but should be able to post here from there.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
Back home :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
Woof All:

This forum's north star is pro-Freedom, pro-US Constitution, pro-American Creed.

That said, we are not interested in an echo chamber-- as is evidenced by some of the people who come to play here (e.g. a Communist Euro Professor)

However, what is required of EVERYONE here is that they be lucid.

Who defines "lucid"?

In that this is my house, I do.

Life is to subtle and too complicated for me to assay a definitive definition, but I will give an example of what lucid is not.  Lucid is not anything having to do with "Truther-ism".

TAC,
CD

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
On road for next six days.  Minimal presence here. 

Carry on!

TAC!

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
I should mention that the posts just now under Maija's name are from me, Marc
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Google Fu help request
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »
Can someone find the youtube or other URL for last night's "60 Minutes" segment on Steve Jobs' I-Pad helping autistic people?

I know someone with a very autistic child and heard that the segment was quite good.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fu help request
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »
Can someone find the youtube or other URL for last night's "60 Minutes" segment on Steve Jobs' I-Pad helping autistic people?

I know someone with a very autistic child and heard that the segment was quite good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385686n&tag=mncol;lst;3

This?

Body-by-Guinness

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm back, sorta.

I've started a Masters program that is the focus of most my thoughtful keyboard time these days, while at the same time doing a lot more shooting instruction and range safety work. As such I don't have a lot of time left over for internet meanderings, particularly ones that devolve into circular discussions. Don't be surprised, therefor, if "I don't have time to do another lap around this track" becomes a common refrain where I'm concerned.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
The legend returns from the mists of elsewhere!  8-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Place nicely children while I'm gone
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
Off to Mexico City until Tuesday.  I should have internet access while I am there.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
Well, no internet connection while I was there (so a plethora of threads upon which I need to catch up) but I am back safe and sound.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Off to Chicago.  Back Monday night or Tuesday.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Welcome to Belisaurius
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
Woof All:

I would like for all of us to welcome my good friend with the sobriquet of "Belisaurius" (look it up :lol:) to our forum.

No doubt I will embarass the hell out of him by saying the following, but , , , too bad  :-D :  

Bel has been of outstanding service to our nation, has a PhD in Decision Sciences (I think that means computer stuff :|  :lol:) from Oxford and currently is a hedge fund trader and a college professor.  

The Adventure continues!
Marc
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:40:47 PM by Crafty_Dog »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Belisaurius
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
Woof All:

I would like for all of us to welcome my good friend with the sobriquet of "Belisaurius" (look it up :lol:) to our forum.

No doubt I will embarass the hell out of him by saying the following, but , , , too bad  :-D

Bel has been of outstanding service to our nation, has a PhD in Decision Sciences (I think that means computer stuff :|  :lol:) and currently is a hedge fund trader and a college professor. 

The Adventure continues!
Marc

Very impressive. Good to have him aboard.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The URL stands alone
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
Folks:

Let remember to put something useful in the Subject line of our posts so as to facilitate finding it down the road.

When we are posting a URL, lets remember to post a sentence or three about the contents to help people know whether they want to go to the site or not.

Thank you,
Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Take Two
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
Let remember to put something useful in the Subject line of our posts so as to facilitate finding it down the road.

When we are posting a URL, lets remember to post a sentence or three about the contents to help people know whether they want to go to the site or not.

Thank you,
Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
GM
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
FYI, GM is on the road for a week or two.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
Off to TX.  Back Monday.  Play nicely now  :lol:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
Woof All:

When posting the URL of a piece, please take the time to write a few sentences as to what it is about and why you are posting it.

Thank you,
Marc

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
Off to Toronto for the first Canadian DB Gathering.

Play nicely while I'm gone!

TAC!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
This forum as a resource and record vs. copyright questions
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:22 AM »
JDN wrote: "I can't read the link.  For those of us poor people who read your forum and don't subscribe and pay for the WSJ (I read it elsewhere); may I suggest you post the whole article rather than a link?  Otherwise, many of us, and many in the future will not be able to read it.  This is an issue that is becoming more and more relevant."

I have received a couple of polite and respectful comments on the side about my posting of copyrighted materials, particularly in light of my feelings on the subject of my DVDs being pirated but I too share your concern about the value of this forum as a resource and record in the future.  For example, just this morning, GM posted a flagrantly wrong prediction by Wesbury in 2008.  Somehow I doubt were we to go to Wesbury's site that we would be able to find it.  In a similar vein even I as a subscriber of the WSJ it might be hard to get my hands on this article years down the road in contrast to what GM did today with Wesbury.  Having it here on this forum is what made it possible.

As a legal matter, I forget the name of the case, but a four prong test was established for quoting material:

1)   Was percentage is it of the work as a whole?   
2)   Does the citation decrease the likelihood that someone would purchase the product as a whole?
3)   What percentage is it of the new work?
4)   What damages are there?

IMHO a complete citation of this WSJ piece is a de minimis % of an issue of the WSJ and is not likely to affect whether someone would buy the WSJ or not, thus no damages.  Its citation here is a small percentage of what this forum is.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:44:26 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Rachel

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
Publishing a full article is clearly an infringement of current copyright law. The article is the body of work not the entire paper.  If you don't believe me ask a current IP lawyer.

To get old articles that have been removed from sites go here--- http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

WSJ is available for free at your local library.  

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the Road/Fire Hydrant - protected material discussion
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
From Media Issues, edited and added here.  The gist of it is that we are being careful not to harm or damage them as we promote their product.  From the comments above, I often only put only passages of interest in my post, but putting the entire column in protects the context and integrity of the piece. There is a tradeoff between protecting content and getting the word out so that there will be awareness and demand for their content.  A couple of my own thoughts to add using the Wall Street Journal as an example:

a) There is an expectation when you subscribe that you will share content with a small or reasonable amount of people such as their eagerness to have it in the waiting room of the dental office - or the public library.  Granted that the online world is more complicated and they write rules starkly to protect them when necessary, but there is no indication that people come here for the purpose of getting around that subscription cost they otherwise would have paid themselves.  If anything the random promotion and discussion of stories and columns makes people more likely to subscribe.

b) Their own promotional strategy is to give away a mixture of free and protected content to draw attention, praise and subscriptions.  Often times my own awareness of a good column comes from their own efforts to submit material to other best of the web sites like Real Clear Politics for widespread dissemination to non-subscribers across the internet.

c) I post some things because they are expressing my own viewpoint, but give credit to the source as a matter of honesty.  Pulling out just the passage that supports my view may not preserve the context or meaning intended by the author.

d) I often suggest people subscribe and include subscription links as Crafty has done for various publications.  Here's one (save over 80%!): https://services.wsj.com/Gryphon/jsp/retentionController.jsp?page=10129

e) The content is intentionally mixed to get non-subscribers lured part way in, but as you read signed in as a subscriber there is no indication provided as to what is or is not protected.  Note that this discussion started as a reader was pulled part way in requesting more.

f) My own awareness of the WSJ editorial page began after my economics professor passed photocopies around of his own contributions.  My copy got lost or damaged.  I replaced it at the library and found out that he was only being published for his opposing view and that the lead editorials (opposite view) made far more sense.  While the liberal universities were pushing Keynesian economics as the only way to proceed in macroeconomics, the WSJ lead editorial was writing that "Keynes is Dead" in the late 1970s with simultaneously exploding inflation and unemployment.  Former editor Robert Bartley was a genius at putting a team together and current editorial page editor, Green Bay Wisc. native Paul Gigot, is one of the most insightful people in Washington IMHO.

g) Besides reading and subscribing, I have contributed material to the editorial page that they had no hesitation in using.  They credited me but forwarded no payment.  Other times it appears that they have been reading the forum before writing - without credit.   We have rules here too!  "© 2011 Dog Brothers, Inc. Martial Arts"  I don't think they want to risk having a cease and desist order be mutual!    :wink:

"The adventure continues."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
I would add that Stratfor is OK with postings, as long as they are attributed.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
When I have a clear stretch of time, there are some materials I want to look up and bring to this conversation here concering the Fair Use doctrine and related matters.

Rachel

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2012, 06:20:47 AM »
You may rationalize or justify your behavior any way you would like. There is no question that posting the whole article is copyright infringing unless you have permission of the copyright holder.  Copyright in classroom and copyright on a website are  very different. There are built in exceptions for classroom use. 

If you choose to infringe copyright for "the greater good" of the forum please be honest about that and don't justify your behavior as legal.   

Regardless of the legality I actually personally have some issues with the way you use content.  If you only publish excerpts you would drive traffic to the websites and blogs that  post content that you find of value.  By posting full length articles you are taking away advertising dollars ( by removing traffic and page views)  from content creators and interfering with their right to be paid for creating content.