Author Topic: Environmental issues  (Read 136017 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Environmental issues, Cleaner atmosphere means more Arctic sea-ice melt
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
Cleaner atmosphere means more Arctic sea-ice melt, study says

http://www.adn.com/article/20151122/cleaner-atmosphere-means-more-arctic-sea-ice-melt-study-says

Mitigating the cost of the externality that we assess to the polluter?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Environmental issues. 97% Agree
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
Amazingly, 97% agree.  Manmade global warming is not the biggest problem we face.

Fox News poll

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
NRO: Abolish the EPA
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/443186/scott-pruitt-abolish-epa

Many interesting points in here but the "abolish the EPA" notion is political suicide.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
A PR stunt while the LEFT is going after them ?
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:24 AM »
From the above CD post :

"Exxon has a complex and controversial history with climate change. The energy giant is being investigated for allegedly misleading the public and shareholders about what it knew about the dangers of climate change.
But in 2007 Exxon admitted publicly that climate change poses risks and said it's responsible to begin working on ways to reduce emissions.
Exxon has also been a consistent public supporter of the Paris agreement."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Environmental issues, real climate change is survivable
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2017, 06:19:10 AM »
"Most buildings are rebuilt about every 50 years. If we simply stopped building in flood-prone areas and started building on higher ground, even the costs of moving cities would be bearable."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-isnt-the-end-of-the-world-1501446277
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:18:02 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: I confess this makes me a bit nervous , , ,
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/389440-pro-hunting-trump-officials-take-ax-to-wildlife-protections?userid=188403

Yes. The slack-jawed locals in Alaska and other places without a Starbucks on every corner are utterly incapable of sound wildlife management on their own and require that the benevolent elites from the coasts provide guidance.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: GM: free bathrooms also exist in parts of Alaska
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
http://starbuckslocations.net/United-States/Alaska/

Good. I’d hate to have meth addicts forced to shoot up on the frozen tundra.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
changing with the times
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
Schultz rebranded Starbucks from a gourmet chain coffee house to a fancy chain out house   :lol:

I hope the rumors we've heard are true and he DOES run for President  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:40:08 PM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: California vs. Plastic Pollution
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2018, 10:31:00 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-plastic-pollution-20180528-story.html

There is stupid. Then there is California level stupid.

Thankfully, I now know that everything causes cancer, thanks to California's environmental laws.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Environmental issues
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
So, what do you/we propose?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
So, what do you/we propose?

Instead of meaningless environmental virtue signalling that only wastes money and creates another regulatory money pit, sometimes doing nothing is the better option.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Environmental issues, WSJ, Steve Hayward, Climate Change Has Run Its Course
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
They merged it with Leftism and lost us.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-has-run-its-course-1528152876?shareToken=ste08b48310c16481dae68b23455f9d3d3&ref=article_email_share

From the article:  "Scientists who are genuinely worried about the potential for catastrophic climate change ought to be the most outraged at how the left politicized the issue and how the international policy community narrowed the range of acceptable responses. Treating climate change as a planet-scale problem that could be solved only by an international regulatory scheme transformed the issue into a political creed for committed believers. Causes that live by politics, die by politics."

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
A point I have been trying to make.  Proof of the unseriousness of environmental groups.  Let a professional take a shot at it:
https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/environmentalists-foolishly-go-to-war-against-nuclear-power/

"Environmentalists foolishly go to war against nuclear power"

[Nuclear is carbon-free you idiots.  And it works even when the sun and the wind go down.]

They also oppose fracking which single handedly lowered America's CO2 emissions and stopped the rise of the oceans (?).
 NG is 40% cleaner than coal.
---------------------------

On another note, in Steve Hayward's brilliant WSJ piece last week he noted that part of the credibility problem on the lack of seriousness on the part of climate change scientists is that none of them changed their own lifestyles.  Instead sought more dollars to heat and air condition more offices and fly more jets to more conferences in more far away places.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:57:36 PM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Micro-plastics in the food chain
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Not familiar with this source, but in general I am in accord with what this article says.  Note well the part about endocrine disruptors.

http://thenutritionwatchdog.com/what-is-your-plastic-footprint/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
YES! Plastic Clean up of the Ocean
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/Upworthy/videos/966555456864427/?hc_ref=ARTmLqmECuU3DzlnorobeEg7D02jgxRUlENrXwMRrW52gSyx9--tqiC-du62UgUEP0k&__xts__[0]=68.ARAPkKbUzmVVGFzbKSXeXaXGbbUZfSVzK7gF4cwSHCSJAmB1_GmlpfFOIO_wqG1W_RlkmvsAx3sT6YJZ2j3V4nA4wUCx2k5MHBExQP-5VLbpbBP9Me_C7XqFMfrUNkRZMuU81L4HmjnAL-T2dA-m34GdIqiuIBfTGC1EMRsJaH0Imf58XH4APH0&__tn__=FC-R&fb_dtsg_ag=AdwjqEjCOqnNJVoGB7GNo5H9FpfSG1GWYSZml0jcgo_2BQ%3AAdzV3rbrB5PeO_0F27vrFKFAli7nOcWDepY__4EQrGlzfg

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: YES! Plastic Clean up of the Ocean
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/Upworthy/videos/966555456864427/?hc_ref=ARTmLqmECuU3DzlnorobeEg7D02jgxRUlENrXwMRrW52gSyx9--tqiC-du62UgUEP0k&__xts__[0]=68.ARAPkKbUzmVVGFzbKSXeXaXGbbUZfSVzK7gF4cwSHCSJAmB1_GmlpfFOIO_wqG1W_RlkmvsAx3sT6YJZ2j3V4nA4wUCx2k5MHBExQP-5VLbpbBP9Me_C7XqFMfrUNkRZMuU81L4HmjnAL-T2dA-m34GdIqiuIBfTGC1EMRsJaH0Imf58XH4APH0&__tn__=FC-R&fb_dtsg_ag=AdwjqEjCOqnNJVoGB7GNo5H9FpfSG1GWYSZml0jcgo_2BQ%3AAdzV3rbrB5PeO_0F27vrFKFAli7nOcWDepY__4EQrGlzfg

How much does each trip to empty the plastic catcher cost? How often does it need to be emptied? How much plastic is removed on each trip?

Another self-licking ice cream cone enviro-scam.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
What cost the trajectory we are on?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
I read one report about the plastic pooper scooper and while it is  a nice idea
 it is like bailing out a sinking rowboat.
 going no where and probably won't make even a dent
until China India and African nations and other Asian nations stop dumping in all their rivers this type of "treatment" won't likely do much.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
I read one report about the plastic pooper scooper and while it is  a nice idea
 it is like bailing out a sinking rowboat.
 going no where and probably won't make even a dent
until China India and African nations and other Asian nations stop dumping in all their rivers this type of "treatment" won't likely do much.

Exactly!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Getting China, India, and other Asian nations to take this seriously is essential.  AGREED.

AND there is the matter of what to do about the plastic already in the ocean.

This seems to me an ingenious idea, one well worth noting and developing demonstration projects.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
Getting China, India, and other Asian nations to take this seriously is essential.  AGREED.

AND there is the matter of what to do about the plastic already in the ocean.

This seems to me an ingenious idea, one well worth noting and developing demonstration projects.

Is it? Let’s see the hard numbers that this is actually more than some vaporware enviroscam? How long from launch will the device need to be emptied? How much plastic can be hauled out by the ship in a single trip? What is the cost of each load? What is the operating cost of the organization?

Prediction: a whole lot of fundraising and posing and very little actual plastic removed from the ocean.

BTW, recycling plastic isn’t cost effective in any way. But it makes rubes feel good.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Pick up your trash!
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
The proposed solution here reduces additional supply 23%.

Great-- BUT that leaves 77% plus what is already in the ocean.

There is no ONE solution.  Many will be needed.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
The proposed solution here reduces additional supply 23%.

Great-- BUT that leaves 77% plus what is already in the ocean.

There is no ONE solution.  Many will be needed.

Those responsible for it need to clean it up.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
OK India, China, and sundry Asian countries-- here's the bill.

Oh wait, you'll need a way to "pick up the trash" , , , but that's what you just aimed the snark at when I posted someone thinking about how actually to do that , , ,

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »
OK India, China, and sundry Asian countries-- here's the bill.

Oh wait, you'll need a way to "pick up the trash" , , , but that's what you just aimed the snark at when I posted someone thinking about how actually to do that , , ,

Pick it up, at the origin point. I am going to start an NGO where I have robots that look and sound like Sam Kinison, deployed to third world counties responsible for the plastic ocean pollution. They'll scream at anyone dumping plastic into a waterway. "Pick it up! Pick it up, you fcuking third world savage! Oh OH AUGGGGGggggGGGGGGGGGG!!"

I can't wait for the money to roll in from eco-rubes. I'll ride in limos and drink champagne and eat caviar with all the other eco-grifters at Davos.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:40:47 AM by G M »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Xi and "ecological civilisation"
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2018, 07:48:13 AM »
I do remember Xi claiming he is making the environment one of his priorities but listening to Gordon Chang and other China scholars on John Batchelor radio Xi 's power may well be threatened :

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/2146945/chinas-president-xi-jinping-calls-increased-efforts

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Walter Russell Mead: Environmentalists Need to Get Real
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2018, 07:37:38 AM »
I don't fully agree with him on the dangers but there is a lot of wisdom here on how to move forward. Serious environmentalists should consider these thoughts. - Doug
------------
Environmentalists Need to Get Real
The problem isn’t climate-change denial. It’s doubt that activists have the answers.

Walter Russell Mead. Sept. 3, 2018

Last week French environmental minister Nicolas Hulot, once a prominent supporter of President Emmanuel Macron, threw in the towel. “I don’t want to lie anymore. I don’t want to create the illusion that my presence in the government means that we are on top of [environmental] issues,” he said during a live broadcast announcing his resignation.

Mr. Hulot is not alone among environmentalists in denouncing the hypocrisy and inadequacy of government action on climate change. The Paris accords are “a fraud, really, a fake,” said climate activist James Hansen in 2015. “There is no action, just promises.”

Three years later, Mr. Hansen’s words look prescient. Even ostensibly committed countries like Germany and France are on course to miss the voluntary 2020 targets they announced to such fanfare in 2015. The Climate Action Tracker estimates that only Morocco and Gambia are on a “Paris agreement compatible” path.

The climate-change movement is stuck, even after a scorching summer elevated the issue across much of the Northern Hemisphere. It is powerful enough to command lip service from politicians, but too weak to impose the policies it says are needed to prevent catastrophic change.

Many environmentalists fail to grasp that the real problem isn’t skepticism that the climate is changing, or even that human activity is a leading cause of the change. Millions worry about climate change and believe human activity is in large part responsible. But they do not believe that the climate movement has the answers for the problems it describes. Green policy blunders, like support for ethanol in the U.S. and knee-jerk opposition to nuclear power, erode confidence that environmental activists—who too often have an anticapitalist, Malthusian and technophobic view of the world—can be trusted, to as they often say, to “save the planet.”

For center-right politicians and people who support both free markets and a healthy environment, the status quo is also a problem. In the U.S. and abroad, market-friendly politicians cannot embrace the stagnant, statist and rent-seeking policies often proposed by environmentalists. Yet neither do they wish to turn a blind eye to a consequential problem that voters care about.

The world needs a green movement that can command more than lip service from politicians. Such a movement would be tech-positive, pro-science and pro-growth, recognizing that capitalism can deliver technological and social changes that offer humanity’s best hope of a greener and cooler future. A realistic green movement would not only embrace zero-carbon nuclear power as part of the solution to the climate problem; it would embrace the broader potential of the information revolution to raise living standards around the world while reducing humanity’s carbon footprint.

One example would be the promotion of telework and other changes to the way people commute. The daily trek of hundreds of millions of commuters around the world is a major contributor to world-wide emissions. Commuting’s pernicious influence will grow as developing countries continue to urbanize. Promoting telework—substituting the movement of data for the movement of people and cars—will bend the carbon curve even as it saves time and money. The shift to autonomous cars can have a similar impact and reduce the number of vehicles on the road.

Videoconferencing is already making inroads in the business world. Instead of $100 billion boondoggles like California’s struggling high-speed rail project, policy makers should encourage the development and deployment of this technology—reducing emissions and saving taxpayer dollars.

A smarter green movement also would embrace the development and use of genetically modified organisms in agriculture. Tweaking the genes of specific crops can raise yields while shrinking humanity’s carbon footprint. A field of “tweaked” soybeans that need little or no fertilizer or pesticides is the real killer app for solar power. Human ingenuity plus sunlight can dramatically reduce the need for fertilizer and pesticides with all the greenhouse-gas emissions and other environmental damage they entail.

These ideas are neither Malthusian nor anticapitalist. For that reason, many green activists will shun them. Some would rather see the planet perish in a runaway greenhouse effect than see gene-tweaked soybeans in European grocery stores—just as they would rather risk catastrophic flooding than accept nuclear power. But market-friendly, pro-science think tanks, researchers and politicians should not be deterred. Developing a green agenda that is high tech but not hair shirt is a crucial project if the world is to break the dangerous gridlock on climate change.

Walter Russell Mead writes for American interest and wsj.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:44:30 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
Very good!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: This too is worth remembering
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
https://www.popsci.com/america-before-epa-photos?CMPID=ene090418#page-18

Did it make polyester leisure suits go away? Because then it would be totally worth it.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hopefully this is viable
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »
EXCELLENT!!!

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Forest Fires the Same but Severity Worse
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/11/13/trump-is-right-poor-land-management-is-leading-to-bigger-california-fires/?utm_source=TDS_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Top5&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1dJelpqazJaR0kyTVdVdyIsInQiOiJkV2xadjNkbVNxbjNWWjM3WW1VSG5UMWRLdk53YmtyVkdxSVVNRmFOeTNqdWhZRHIxK0FUcHlJWDJKaDJMZTdtcks5SmI1K1BIWXRBK2w0eG1UcDh1czE1cVQ0endVQmlWMGdpdUEreHVQRFozbWJMYkhETk1FVWVZS2x1T1FEciJ9

I haven't wanted to speak (or write) while human tragedy is happening but I am pleased to  see someone offer honest analysis.

Trump:  "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

Observations from afar: 
1. These fires are 90% human caused.
2. We never seem to hear the cause while it's burning.
3. In the rush to put them out (for good reason) we lose the natural consequence of having all that dead kindling destroyed, keeping the new fire danger at extreme risk levels.
4. They (California) have all the answers for us on everything else but can't get their own act together on this deadly issue. Why does the richest place on earth need federal help?
5. I'm not an expert on fire management and prevention but someone should be.  Basic steps they have long known to do aren't being done.
6. People keep moving and settling away from water sources and then notice the lack of water.
7.  Drought and variability of rainfall is not a new phenomenon nor exacerbated by a fraction of a degree warming of the planet.

Look at a population map of anywhere on earth and see how migrate to water.  If oxygen were as unevenly distributed as water, people would migrate to oxygen.  Now people move away from water then argue over the scarcity.  At least that's how it looks from the land of 15,000 lakes where people are migrating out.

Here is Secretary of Interior Ryan Zinke on wildfire prevention written and published before this latest deadly round:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/08/08/active-forest-management-prevent-wildfires-column/913801002/

Here is the bill Jerry Brown vetoed relating to wildfires:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1463

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
''it’s hard not to see the connection between this increase in wildfires and the land management policy changes that have occurred since the 1970s.'

but the LEFT and their propaganda outlets seem to have no problem not seeing this connection.

of course moon beam is not going to accept any responsibility and blame a more convenient political enemy - climate  change and by twisted association Trump.

and the mario kids the lemons the white hairs and the baldwins will be all over the airways agreeing with moon beam and doing the same.

couldn't we just replace all agriculture in California with marijuana crops and make these infernos into massive bongs that would desirable to many Californians.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile