Author Topic: Immigration issues  (Read 616626 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:33:25 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration issues
« Reply #1102 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Soros influencing Clinton:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/20/hillary-clinton-embraces-george-soros-radical-visi/

Of course it is all about increasing the Democrat voter rolls.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
SEn. Harry Reid on Illegal Aliens in 1993
« Reply #1104 on: November 20, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump caves on dreamers
« Reply #1107 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:49 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/us/immigration-dreamers-trump.html?_r=0

Fine , but just don't expect they are going to vote for your party because you are being nice.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:38:28 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:33 AM »
I can't say I disagree with Trump here.  Do we really want to fight this fight?  Do we really want to take deport some teenager whose first language is English and all his schooling are American?  Plenty of the Dreamer cases are quite appealing.  Do we really want this fight?

Furthermore IMHO a good case can be made that this move will dramatically affect the tone of the conversation in our country from here forward.  A lot of the emotion for sanctuary cities is based upon not wanting Dreamers to be deported.  Of course the professional left will not change, but the American people will observe and take note.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Trump's Dreamer Opportunity
« Reply #1109 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
Trump’s Dreamer Opportunity
How to build goodwill as he looks to restrict illegal immigration.
Updated Dec. 14, 2016 7:50 p.m. ET

Donald Trump ran on reducing illegal immigration, and no doubt he plans to follow through on border security. But if he’s looking to build some political goodwill and consensus as he does, the President-elect could consider a deal with Congress that protects so-called dreamers.

Last week Senators Dick Durbin, Lindsey Graham and Jeff Flake introduced bills that would shield from deportation some 800,000 millennials— “dreamers”—who were brought into the country illegally as kids. The bills offer Mr. Trump an opportunity to demonstrate magnanimity and maybe earn some political capital for the rest of his agenda.

In 2012 President Obama issued an executive order providing Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The order granted a temporary safe harbor to young illegal immigrants who are attending school or have graduated. Veterans are eligible as well. Dreamers are also allowed to apply for a two-year work permit, which could be renewed.

We’ve supported legalization for the dreamers even as we criticized the flimsy legal basis for Mr. Obama’s exercise of executive power. Mr. Trump could rescind the 2012 executive order, as some on the left are warning. In the heat of the primary campaign, he promised to deport all 11 million illegal immigrants. But he later narrowed that to criminal aliens and has recently softened his tone again.

In an interview with Time magazine this month, Mr. Trump suggested he was open to negotiating a deal for dreamers. “They got brought here at a very young age. They’ve worked here, they’ve gone to school here. Some were good students. Some have wonderful jobs,” he said. “And they’re in never-never land because they don’t know what’s going to happen.” The President-elect added “on a humanitarian basis, it’s a very tough situation,” and he’s right.

About 741,000 immigrants have applied for relief under DACA. Most would feel like strangers in a strange land if they were transplanted to, say, Guadalajara after being raised and educated in the U.S. And since they were brought here by their parents as young children, they lack mens rea—a guilty mind—that is the standard for proving criminality. Deporting the dreamers could cost hundreds of millions of dollars, while denying legal status could prevent them from getting jobs or matriculating in some American colleges.

Mr. Trump could provide dreamers an escape from never-never land by signing legislation that provides a constitutional underpinning for DACA while Congress negotiates a broader immigration reform. Messrs. Durbin and Graham last week proposed a bill to extend DACA for three years. A similar bill introduced by Mr. Flake would also expedite deportation of immigrants with criminal convictions.

Some Republicans may need an extra spoonful of law enforcement to make the legislation go down, but that should be negotiable. By distinguishing between immigrants who knowingly break the law and those who are unwitting accessories, Mr. Trump would demonstrate that he’s merely trying to enforce immigration law, not target Latinos.

Democrats would show themselves to be acting in bad faith if they reject this olive branch merely because they want to wield immigration as a partisan weapon. This could be a major victory for both Mr. Trump and Congress.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
"But if he’s looking to build some political goodwill and consensus as he does, the President-elect could consider a deal with Congress that protects so-called dreamers."

No surprise this coming from WSJ which looks out for Wall Street.

Yes forcing the illegals who were brought or sent here as children to leave would be hard and a PR disaster.  But anyone who thinks Trump would garner "good will" from the LEFT that will be ready to impeach him in two seconds every chance they get is not naive, but is an idiot.

The WSJ staff are not idiots.  They are trying to fool us.

:-(

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 15, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
The Left would seek to take credit perhaps, but if we deport these people/children it will be political suicide.  Much of the sanctimoniousness of the sanctuary city folks comes from visions of these children being deported, families broken up etc.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 15, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
I agree.  It is a no win for Republicans.
The left wins either way.

Just don't ever expect any thanks from them ...........

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 16, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
The Left would seek to take credit perhaps, but if we deport these people/children it will be political suicide.  Much of the sanctimoniousness of the sanctuary city folks comes from visions of these children being deported, families broken up etc.

Gosh, you mean the dems won't vote for us? Howabout we go back to the rule of law? The Mexicans that got the free food, housing and education on our dime can go back to their beloved Mexico and make it great again not quite such a corrupt sh*t hole. Evey family where someone commits a crime can be broken up, or should we stop sending people to prison?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:01:12 AM by G M »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 16, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
Hypothetical #1:

Kid brought illegally to America when he is two.  His first language (as in "the one he speaks best") is English and his Spanish consists of being able to understand his parents without really speaking Spanish.  His schooling is American.  His culture is American.  His friends are American.  He is now twelve years old. 

How do you think the politics of deporting him are going to go?

#2:  Same facts except he is now in his mid-twenties, working, paying of his college loans, married with a pregnant American wife.

Note:  Quibbling with over how typical this fact pattern is will not change how it will get played.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 17, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »
Hypothetical #1:

Kid brought illegally to America when he is two.  His first language (as in "the one he speaks best") is English and his Spanish consists of being able to understand his parents without really speaking Spanish.  His schooling is American.  His culture is American.  His friends are American.  He is now twelve years old. 

**Want to see sad? Watch a toddler getting pat searched to go visit dad in prison. Should we abandon the rule of law for Feeeelz?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article19180179.html

#2:  Same facts except he is now in his mid-twenties, working, paying of his college loans, married with a pregnant American wife.

Note:  Quibbling with over how typical this fact pattern is will not change how it will get played.

**Well, we could fight back instead of endlessly rolling over. We could preserve what's left of the rule of law and this country. How many more waves of illegal aliens should we take in as well? How much more money to you want taken from your family to support them? Ask a LEGAL immigrant, like my wife how they feel about the endless catering to illegal aliens while LEGAL immigrants deal with a very costly and difficult process to live in the US in compliance with it's laws.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 17, 2016, 11:47:47 AM »

"Kid brought illegally to America when he is two.  His first language (as in "the one he speaks best") is English and his Spanish consists of being able to understand his parents without really speaking Spanish.  His schooling is American.  His culture is American.  His friends are American."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 17, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
I suspect the Left would choose somewhat more angelic looking examples for their propaganda, , ,  :lol:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 17, 2016, 10:45:39 PM »
I suspect the Left would choose somewhat more angelic looking examples for their propaganda, , ,  :lol:

They always do, this is how you reply.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 18, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »
I suspect the Left would choose somewhat more angelic looking examples for their propaganda, ,

According to the LEFT dreamers include the highest percentage of aspiring astrophysicists of any group in the world.

The Crats are endlessly report how Trump lost big (the latest I looked it is up to 3 million now - 4 million by next month as they continue to "look" for all the votes).
If it wasn't for people who came here illegally and their children born here or not this would never have happened.
The born here you are automatically a citizen has got to go. It was not intended for people who come here illegally and have kids on our dime and then set up shop with them and then express outrage and cry racism when they are called on it.

That said I am now the dreamer if I think anything will ever get done with that. 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 18, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
The true loss for this country is the law abiding we sent away. For example, my wife knew two Chinese STEM PhDs who upon completing their education, wanted to stay here. Of course not. USCIS would not allow them to stay once their education was completed. Meanwhile, we have Mexican sex offenders who can't even fill out sex offender paperwork in Spanish because they can't read/write in any language. I have seen this firsthand.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 20, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Study-Trump-Immigration-Policies/2016/12/20/id/764879/

I say good .  So what.   Fire them!

What am I supposed to be upset about supposed lost tax revenues and businesses that don't benefit me may have to hire Americans?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Immigration
« Reply #1125 on: December 21, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »
http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=9215

Immigration
Posted on December 21, 2016

If you had asked me about immigration 30 years ago, I would have shrugged and said it was a good thing for the country. My family, like most everyone I knew, came over from the old country. It was not until I reached adulthood, living in New England, that I became aware of people who traced their roots to the colonial times. Even so, I was trained in the American mythology about a nation of immigrants, so I just assumed immigration was mostly a good thing, when I bothered to think about it, which was not often.

It was only after I came to know recent migrants that I started changing my mind about the topic. The people, who had recently gone through the system, had very different ideas about it than Americans born here. More important, they had no illusions about the state of the population in the old country. Talk to recent migrants and they will be happy to tell you that most of the people they left behind should stay over there. The recent migrants left the old country for a reason.

This came to mind the other day when I sat listening to a Turk and an Indian discuss immigration. Both were Trump people exclusively on the immigration issue. Both had come to America the old fashioned way – legally. The Turk was a Coptic Christian. He left for America thirty years ago as a young man, figuring there was no future for Christians in Turkey. The Indian had come here on a student visa, got a job, fell in love with America and decided to stay. In both cases, it took ten years to gain citizenship.

One of the things you learn from immigrants, when it comes to the immigration issue, is they place a high value on citizenship. That’s because they spent a lot to get it. Acquiring citizenship was a transaction for them, not an accident of birth. The Turk in this story left his home, and all that he knew, because he correctly saw where things were heading in Turkey. He was a guy that sold all his stuff, bought as many black chips as he could afford, and pushed them into the middle of the table.

The other thing immigrants know is that America is a lonely place. Europe, for example, is full of old cities and villages where people grow up in the shadow of ancestors. There’s no fresh start in a place like that. Every man is just a dot on the timeline started by people long ago. In other parts of the world, there’s the shadow of history and the entanglements of tribe and clan. In a place like India, the obligations to family and custom are more limiting than anything government can conjure.

In America, immigrants are free to start their own timeline. The past is no longer a set of boundaries on them. Just as important, they are free of the family and tribal restrictions. The Turk in this story married a Greek woman, who was also an immigrant. The Indian went into a career that does not exist in India and even if it did, his family would not have approved. You can do those things where it is just you, striking out on your own. That’s the attraction of America. It’s a blank canvass for immigrants.

None of this means we should fling open our borders and let the world move to America. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Borders and barriers are a filtering mechanism that helps tamp down the number of bad migrants a country gets. If the Germans had been more scrupulous, for example, they would not have murderous Muslims rampaging through their streets right now. Europe is headed for a very dark time solely due to their rulers forgot that good borders make for good citizens.

America should be learning from this. We have no shortage of workers and we no longer have vast tracks of unexploited land. We could have zero immigration and no jobs would go unfilled. There’s also the cultural aspect. We have had high levels of immigration for half a century, but low levels of assimilation. Even if there is an economic argument for more migrants, and there isn’t, it is far outweighed by the cultural arguments. It will take many generations to absorb the current migrants.

Even so, low levels of legal immigration are probably a good thing. The people willing to go through all the steps it takes to migrate legally are going to be people who scrupulously observe the law. They are not coming here just to screw it all up for everyone including themselves. Recent legal immigrants tend to be hyper-patriotic for that reason. They take nothing for granted because they had to earn their citizenship. Their presence is a healthy reminder that citizenship has value.

That’s ultimately the truth about the open borders crowd. They place no value on citizenship. That’s because they put no value on people. To the open borders enthusiasts, humans are just undifferentiated raw material, inputs they can manipulate. Whether the material comes from home or abroad is irrelevant because everything normal people associate with being human is of no concern to the managerial types. They see people the way normal people look at furniture.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Pravda on the Beach (LA Times) on OTMs
« Reply #1127 on: December 27, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
the right lies and everything she writes in the Wash compost is the truth
« Reply #1128 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
From a "Republicans are nazis"  Jewish liberal from the Jeff Bezos's Washington  Post.

I don't why he is such a crazy leftist except it must be to help his global business brand.  But he is another George Soros.  Did anyone see the scowl expression on his face when he was sitting next to Trump at the Silicon Valley Trump tower mtg?:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2016/12/27/the-numbers-dont-lie-but-anti-immigration-radicals-do/?utm_term=.27ee0cb1e8a9&wpisrc=nl_popns&wpmm=1

I suppse she thinks Obama is a friend of Israel.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: the right lies and everything she writes in the Wash compost is the truth
« Reply #1129 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
She is supposed to be the Wash Post's conservative writer!

"more people are leaving the United States to cross the border to Mexico than are coming the other way"

Because of bad job opportunities here.  That is still sign of a revolving door, an unsecured border with weapons, drugs and terrorists crossing it.

Pew Research" blah blah.  Didn't the polling companies just get everything wrong.

Speaking of that...   Poll:  13% of illegals admit they vote
http://www.capoliticalreview.com/capoliticalnewsandviews/poll-13-of-illegal-aliens-admit-they-vote/

28% of Hispanics in America are illegal.  17% of the US population is Hispanic.

No one said illegals are all rapists.  No one said they all vote.  What was said is that WE get to decide who comes in.  The extreme position in the debate was taken by Hillary who made no claim she would disallow anyone.

Even if we need more immigrants, who gets to choose whom we take in?  Why don't we take in the best and the brightest, the most ambitious.  Even for the lowest skill, lowest wage jobs, why don't we take in the ones with the best character and work ethic, clean background.  Maybe we already do.  No one knows with a wide open border.

If they all come from one or two places, live in enclaves and keep intact their culture and language of origin, and we chase them politically as separate groups, do we still have e pluribus unum, out of many, one?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 29, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
"She is supposed to be the Wash Post's conservative writer!"

Well if so she spends no time wasting bashing the President elect:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/?utm_term=.32341b78542e

BEZOS , the new SOROS ?, may well have her on board for this reason.  Having her as the token "from the right" who is happy to bash Trump even before he gets out of the gate would be the compost's cynical gamesmenship.

She is NO republican that is for sure. 

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mexican man charged with rape had 19 deportations, removals
« Reply #1131 on: December 30, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »
Do we have a revolving door, or what?

What sayeth wash Post's Jen Rubin, how many of these types coming here is too many, one?

http://www.kansas.com/news/nation-world/article123768739.html

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
15 percent surge in illegal immigration
« Reply #1132 on: December 31, 2016, 04:09:42 AM »
U.S. officials are grappling with a 15 percent surge in illegal immigration, reflecting continued failures by the Obama administration to deter illegal immigration along the country’s southwestern border.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/central-americans-continue-to-surge-across-us-border-new-dhs-figures-show/2016/12/30/ed28c0aa-cec7-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html?utm_term=.c3a6f0fe9c25

Same newspaper as Jen Rubin.  Illegals come and go as they choose - up until January 20th

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 31, 2016, 06:28:04 AM »
"Same newspaper as Jen Rubin."

Well it is possible she saw this in her own newspaper and did not believe ti.  They are a fake news rag.    :wink:

illegals by the millions are good for all of us.  Especially us hard working tax payers.   :wink:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:16:00 PM by Crafty_Dog »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Sen. Tom Cotton proposes important changes
« Reply #1136 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
This is way to pay for the wall!
« Reply #1137 on: January 25, 2017, 07:15:18 AM »

Here
we go.

This is where the money is.  Be sure to read the end of the article :

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/el-chapos-york-jail-sounds-181525768.html    :-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:18:17 AM by ccp »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
PP: Here comes Trump's Great Wall
« Reply #1138 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
"The policy or advantage of [immigration] taking place in a body (I mean the settling of them in a body) may be much questioned; for, by so doing, they retain the language, habits, and principles (good or bad) which they bring with them. Whereas by an intermixture with our people, they, or their descendants, get assimilated to our customs, measures, and laws: in a word, soon become one people." —George Washington (1794)

Here Comes Trump's Great Wall

"After years of neglect, this administration has taken a strong stand to stiffen the protection of our borders." So said Bill Clinton in his 1995 State of the Union Address. Now, after a 22-year wait, Donald Trump will see that plan through. Trump tweeted Tuesday, "Big day planned on NATIONAL SECURITY tomorrow. Among many other things, we will build the wall!" And so begins Trump's great wall project, which was mocked and derided by so many both in the mainstream media and the Washington establishment as merely a campaign slogan that would never actually see the light of day.

Honestly, one can hardly fault people for holding this pessimistic view, as history shows that politicians talk a good game but rarely act on their words — as typified by Clinton's SOTU speech. As Rush Limbaugh so often quipped, "symbolism over substance" is largely Washington's modus operandi. Thus far, Trump is deviating from that script.

We cautioned yesterday to give Trump time on immigration. Less than 24 hours later, we were proved right.
An interesting side note: While Trump is signing this latest executive order today, Mexican foreign minister Luis Videgaray will be arriving in Washington to prepare for the visit of Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto. Much of the visit will focus on trade issues, but it would be naïve to think that Trump's statements regarding Mexico paying for the wall don't factor into the conversation. One thing's for sure, Trump is proving that there is indeed a new sheriff in town.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Trump vs. Sanctuary Cities
« Reply #1139 on: January 26, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: January 28, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »
This never Trumper is explaining that Trump's executive order is actually watered down and not as expansive as proposed:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444370/donald-trump-refugee-executive-order-no-muslim-ban-separating-fact-hysteria

Like the old saying let a problem (wound ) fester and it will be far harder to treat later on.

We should have been taking care of the problem of illegals taking advantage of us a long time ago.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:59:26 PM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
second post
« Reply #1141 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
Of course Judge blocks deportation in New York.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-refugees-lawsuit-iraq-visas-234305

So witch President appointed this judge:

1)  President Bill Clinton
2)  President George W Bush
3)  President Bashar al-Assad  
4)  President Barack Obama
4)  President Richard Nixon

If you did not pick the obvious answer you need to be held back a grade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Donnelly

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Bill Clinton on illegal aliens
« Reply #1144 on: January 30, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jimmy Carter, history's greatest monster
« Reply #1145 on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »
http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/261062/carter-banned-iranians-coming-us-during-hostage-daniel-greenfield

Carter Banned Iranians from Coming to US During Hostage Crisis
Trump is just like Hitler. Or Jimmy Carter.
December 8, 2015
Daniel Greenfield

Trump is a monster, a madman and a vile racist. He's just like Hitler. Or Jimmy Carter.

During the Islamic Revolution's Iranian hostage crisis in which Islamists took over the country, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States unless they oppose the Shiite Islamist regime or had a medical emergency.

Here's Jimmy "Hitler" Carter saying it back in 1980.

Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not reissue visas, nor will we issue new visas, except for compelling and proven humanitarian reasons or where the national interest of our own country requires. This directive will be interpreted very strictly.

Apparently barring people from a terrorist country is not against "our values" after all. It may even be "who we are". Either that or Carter was a racist monster just like Trump.

While Iran was a nation, it was targeted because it was overrun by Shiite Islamists who were engaging in terrorism against America. Sunni Islamists like ISIS have a big footprint in far more countries than Iran did so a visa ban targeting them needs to be much broader in scope than going after one country.

Meanwhile here's how the Iranian students who had become notorious for Anti-American protests in the US were treated.

Carter orders 50,000 Iranian students in US to report to immigration office with view to deporting those in violation of their visas. On 27 December 1979, US appeals court allows deportation of Iranian students found in violation.

In November 1979, the Attorney General had given all Iranian students one month to report to the local immigration office. Around 7,000 were found in violation of their visas. Around 15,000 Iranians were forced to leave the US. The ACLU protested, lawyers sued over the deportations and lost. First Amendment objections were set aside by a Federal Appeals court.

Meanwhile any Iranians entering the US were forced to undergo secondary screening.

Interestingly enough, Carter did this by invoking the Nationality Act of 1952. A law originally opposed by Democrats for its attempt to restrict Communist immigration to the United States.

“If this oasis of the world should be overrun, perverted, contaminated, or destroyed, then the last flickering light of humanity will be extinguished,” Senator McCarran said of the law. He was a Democrat.

Now unlike Muslims, Iranians were not necessarily supportive of Islamic terrorism. Many were and are opponents of it. Khomeini didn't represent Iran as a country, but his Islamist allies. So Trump's proposal is far more legitimate than Carter's action. Carter targeted people by nationality. Trump's proposal does so by ideology.

Classifying Iranians as a group is closer to racism than classifying people by a racist supremacist ideology that calls for the mass murder and enslavement of non-Muslims, as ISIS is doing today.

One of the neater subsets of the 1952 Act barred the entry of, "(11) Aliens who are polygamists or who practice polygamy or advocate the practice of polygamy."

I wonder which creed this might apply to.

Maybe we can all calm down now long enough to have a rational conversation on the subject.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 30, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
When I lived in DC area in late 70's there were thousands of Iranians demonstrating in the DC  streets yelling "down with America".
Can you imagine Americans doing that in Tehran?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile