Author Topic: Quotes, quips, and sayings  (Read 17929 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Quotes, quips, and sayings
« on: February 02, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
Woof All:

Kicking it off with some from a thread of this name on the DBMA Association forum.

Yip!
Crafty Dog
======================

I'm tired of politicians peeing on me  then saying, it's just raining" P.C.
                 " Wakey wakey, eggs and bacey!" Bud, from the movie Kill Bill.

--------------------

"The fighter that is in condition can always beat the best fighter in the world that is out of condition" ~ Don F.

"Small stick, small stars. Big stick, big stars!" ~ GM Ramiro Estalilla (Kabaroan Arnis)

----------

"In our zest for rationality, we irrationally give greater weight to those variables we can identify, as opposed to those we cannot, which unfortunately represent the bulk."

Jack Crooks, currency exchange rate analyst

-----------

"Let us not hear of Generals who conquer without bloodshed. If a bloody slaughter is a horrible sight, then that is a ground for paying more respect to War, but nor for making the sword we wear blunter and blunter by degrees from feelings of humanity, until some one steps in with one that is sharp and lops off the arm from our body" Carl Von Clausewitz

--------------

In regards to carrying weapons:

"Don't carrying anything that does not fit comfortably up your @$$"

(This one triggered some humorous banter on the DBMAA forum  :lol: )

------------

Famous Last Words:
         Let them eat cake!
         Woops!
         Sh@##@!
         Damn!
         I've almost got it.
         Honey, was that your wedding ring laying on the sink?
         Nobody will ever know.
         It's not loaded.
         Just one more for the road.
         I'm not sure about this.
         I'm a dead man.

-----------------------

These are for Guro C., since he likes heady ones.
     "Blessed is the man that expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
                                                           Alexander Pope, (poet)

"A good knock on the head with a tobacco stick will scatter their chickens!"
                                   James Crawford, (a farmer and my grandfather)

-----------------------

All of this could have been avoided if your mother didn't fuck your father.

-----------------------

The best part of you ran down your mama's leg.

I'll be on you like flies on garbage.

Don't run you will only die tired. (sniper quote)

The only easy day was yesterday.

I'll hit you with so many rights, you will beg for a left.

Walk as a warrior not as a worrier.

--------------------

" At present, in many of the martial arts,... there is too much concern about appearance, and not much substance. That kind of martial art is useless in critical moments. "
                                              Miyamoto Musashi, 1645
  I guess finding a reality based martial art isn't a new problem.

---------------------

From Terry Dobson's "It's A Lot Like Dancing":

"The secret of focus is virtuous intention. Nothing else. Any fool can concentrate; the real life, and deathness, comes in why you are focusing. If you set out to hurt, you will be cut down. If you set out with virtuous intention, you will go right through the opponent."

-------------------

"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
Winston Churchill 

----------------

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
                                    Theodore Roosevelt  1910

----------------------

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
                            Albert Einstein

-------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanlysis (1952).

------------------

Men are not worried by things, but by their ideas about things. - Epictetus

-----------

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Emiliano Zapata
----------------------

"I work in a prison. I see Evil every day. My last prison was a lockdown supermax, where Evil was naked and violent, right out in front. Now I work in a sex offender yard, where Evil wears a polite face, and warm smile.....
And people wonder why I carry a gun. Evil gets out on parole next Tuesday..."

A State Corrections Officer answering the question on another forum, "Does evil exist?"

-------------------

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
                                    Helen Keller
------------------

" The problem with modern culture is that a man can live his entire lifetime without ever knowing if he is or isn't a coward." unknown

---------------

"Whoso would be a man, must be a non conformist." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you doubt yourself, it is like joining your enemy's army." - Alexandre Dumas

"To become strong, one must first need to become strong." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Evolution does not happen unless there is conflict that spurs change in order to compete.  Continually go without challenging yourself and one day you'll wake up to find yourself extinct." - Anonymous

-------------------

My grandfather taught me how to hunt when I was very young. On my first bear hunt I told him I was afraid the bear might catch us. He told me not to worry about out running the bear. He said "All you need to do is out run me". This didn't calm my fear.

--------------------

"A man is a man only when he can be himself wherever he is."

-Coralie in House of D 

--------------------

"When the eagles are silent the parrots begin to jabber."

Winston Churchill

-----------------------

Be it remembered that liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker.
  Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people who have a right from the frame of their nature to knowledge, as their great Creator who does nothing in vain, has given them understandings and a desire to know of the characters and conduct or their rulers.
 The point is now determined, I shall have the liberty to think for myself. Government is a plain, simple, intelligent thing, founded in nature and in reason, quite comprehensible by common sense. The true source of our suffering has been timidity. We have been afraid to think. Let us dare to read, think , speak, write. Let it be known that British liberties are not the grants of princes or parliaments, that many of our rights are inherent and essential, agreed on as maxims and established as preliminaries, even before Parliament existed.
  Recollect the civil and religious principles and hopes and expectations which constantly supported and carried our more immediate forefathers, in exchanging their native country for a dreary, inhospitable wilderness.
  The preservation of liberty depends upon the intellectual and moral character of the people. As long as knowledge and virtue are diffused generally among the body of a nation, it is impossible they should be enslaved.
                                         John Adams 1765

------------------

"Out of every One Hundered men, Ten should not be here, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make."

"Ah, but the one, one of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

Heraclitus 500 b.c.

------------------

"We must be willing, individually and as a Nation, to accept whatever sacrifices may be required of us. A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
                           Dwight D. Eisenhower

-----------------------

Young men know the rules, but old men know the exceptions. 
--Oliver Wendell Holmes

-----------------------

It is time for us to realize that we are too great a Nation to limit ourselves to small dreams. We are not, as some would have us to believe, doomed to an inevitable decline. I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing.
                              Ronald Reagan 1981

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes, quips, and sayings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
"They feed the crocodile in the hope that he will eat them last."
 - Winston Churchill's observation about appeasers

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine,
is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any
obligation to follow their doctrine...
- From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:30:33 AM »
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” —Barry Goldwater

“I mean to live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arrived at yesterday at the voting booth.” —William F. Buckley

“So I became a newspaperman. I hated to do it but I couldn’t find honest employment.” —Mark Twain

Freki

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Lawrence, Thomas E

rachelg

Anne Frank Quotes
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Anne_Frank
"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before beginning to improve the world."

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains... My advice is : "Go outside, to the fields, enjoy nature and the sunshine, go out and try to recapture happiness in yourself and in God. Think of all the beauty that's still left in and around you and be happy!" "

"I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more."

"Is discord going to show itself while we are still fighting, is the Jew once again worth less than another? Oh, it is sad, very sad, that once more, for the umpteenth time, the old truth is confirmed: "What one Christian does is his own responsibility, what one Jew does is thrown back at all Jews."

(posting this one again but I really like it)
"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death...and yet...I think...this cruelty will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again. "

"People will always follow a good example; be the one to set a good example, then it won't be long before the others follow... How lovely to think that no one need wait a moment, we can start now, start slowly changing the world! How lovely that everyone, great and small, can make their contribution toward introducing justice straightaway... And you can always, always give something, even if it is only kindness!"

"I've found that there is always some beauty left —in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can help you. Look at these things, then find yourself again, and God, and then you regain your balance.
And whoever is happy will make others happy too. He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery!"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it. Calvin

William

• View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:35:46 AM »
(When asked why I train weapons)

I would rather know it and not need it,

Then need it and not know it.

-(As far as I know...) Me.

Variation on carry....

I would rather have it and not need it,

Then need it and not have it.

I also like what Burton wrote....

Don't be a spectator, experience life. Live your life to the fullest, go where you want to go, do what you want to do, and, most importantly, do whatever it takes to become the person you want to be.

-Burton Richardson

Mongrel Combative Systems
www.mongrelcombativearts.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Walter Williams
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »
"A civilized society's first line of defense is not the law, police and courts but customs, traditions and moral values. Behavioral norms, mostly transmitted by example, word of mouth and religious teachings, represent a body of wisdom distilled over the ages through experience and trial and error. They include important thou-shalt-nots such as shalt not murder, shalt not steal, shalt not lie and cheat, but they also include all those courtesies one might call ladylike and gentlemanly conduct. The failure to fully transmit values and traditions to subsequent generations represents one of the failings of the so-called greatest generation. ... Policemen and laws can never replace customs, traditions and moral values as a means for regulating human behavior. At best, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Our increased reliance on laws to regulate behavior is a measure of how uncivilized we've become." -

-George Mason University economics professor Walter E. Williams

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Little girls
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »
"If little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice, when they grow up why do they taste like anchovies?"

JDN

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within
what you are trying to defend from without"
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:38:16 AM »

From http://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html

Highlights:

"Democracy can be likened to two wolves and one lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

"Progress is not possible without deviation." (Frank Zappa)

"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."(Bruce Lee)

"There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity."
(Douglas MacArthur)
"We are what we repeatedly do." (Aristotle)

"Success: To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson, submitted by J.P. Bahner)

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
(Theodore Roosevelt, submitted by Kenneth R.)

"To endure is greater than to dare; to tire out hostile fortune; to be daunted by no difficulty; to keep heart when all have lost it -- who can say this is not greatness? (William Makepeace Thackeray, recommended by U.Doran)

"Daydreams of a fair world which would treat him according to his real worth are the refuge of all those plagued by a lack of self-knowledge." (Ludwig von Mises)

"The way of the Tao is reversal." (Lao Tzu)

"Chance favours the prepared mind." (Louis Pasteur)

"It is neither necessary to hope to undertake, nor to succeed to persevere." (William of Orange)

"Economic history is a never-ending series of episodes based on falsehoods and lies, not truths. It represents the path to big money. The object is to recognize the trend whose premise is false, ride that trend, and step off before it is discredited." (George Soros)

"You must have a willingness to do something when everyone else is petrified. You must learn the lesson of following logic over emotion." (Warren Buffett)

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." (Winston Churchill)

"Where there is ruin, there is hope for treasures."(Rumi)

"May a fair road always be open to you." (CHS, April 2, 2006)

"A healthy homecooked family meal and a home garden are revolutionary acts." (CHS, May 2008)

"You don't miss what you no longer want." (CHS, August 2008)

"Food is wealth, health is wealth, energy is wealth; all else is illusion." (CHS, December 15, 2008)

"Meaningful work and meaningful skills make a meaningful life, even if the work is unpaid." (CHS, March 6, 2009)

"If you like eating, begin liking dirt." (CHS, April 6, 2009)

"Either we restrict the foods we eat when we have a choice, or our diet will eventually be restricted by chronic diseases." (CHS, May 9, 2009)

"Greed is a wonderful motivator but fear works much faster." (Riley T., Sept. 2008)

"Democracy can be likened to two wolves and one lamb voting on what to have for lunch." (unknown source, submitted by Tim B.)

"Every effort under compulsion demands a sacrifice of life energy." (Nikola Tesla, submitted by Kenneth R.)

"In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists." (Eric Hoffer, submitted by Angry Saver)

"In times of change, learners will inherit the earth."(Eric Fromm, submitted by Tom P.)

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality." Michael Ellner (submitted by Gene M.)

"The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second." John Steinbeck
(submitted by Ken R.)

"Do the thing and you shall have the power." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

"Radical self-reliance begins with rock-solid personal integrity and a willingness to ask cui bono-- to whose benefit?--of every arrangement."
(CHS, October 30, 2009)

"Do you know what amazes me more than anything else? The impotence of force to organize anything."(Napoleon Bonaparte)

"Concentrations of wealth disrupt the ecology of power."
(CHS, March 13, 2010)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." (George Orwell)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." (Leo Tolstoy)

"The path out of darkness begins with those exasperatingly persistent individuals who are constitutionally incapable of capitulation." (Winston Churchill)

"The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty." (James Madison, submitted by Ken R.)

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?" (Jean Cocteau)

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center." (Kurt Vonnegut, via Chinle)

"O Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth to battle -- be Thou near them! With them -- in spirit -- we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it -- for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen." (Mark Twain, via Dublin Mick)

"But we are told that we need not fear; because those in power, being our representatives, will not abuse the powers we put in their hands. I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers.

I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny. Happy will you be if you miss the fate of those nations, who, omitting to resist their oppressors, or negligently suffering their liberty to be wrested from them, have groaned under intolerable despotism!

Most of the human race are now in this deplorable condition; and those nations who have gone in search of grandeur, power, and splendor, have also fallen a sacrifice, and been the victims of their own folly. While they acquired those visionary blessings, they lost their freedom."(Patrick Henry)

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people…. [There is also an] inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and … degeneracy of manners and of morals…. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."(James Madison)

"When sacrifice, trade-offs and accountability are anathema, then so too is liberty." (July 17, 2010, CHS)

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." (Mark Twain)

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul. (Mahatma Gandhi, via Ken R.)

"Madison Avenue is a very powerful aggression against private consciousness. A demand that you yield your private consciousness to public manipulation." (Marshall McLuhan)

"...there is a contemporary form of violence to which the idealist fighting for peace by nonviolent methods most easily succumbs: activism and overwork. The rush and pressure of modern life are a form, perhaps the most common form, of its innate violence. To allow oneself to be carried away by a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects, to want to help everyone in everything is to succumb to violence.

More than that, it is cooperation in violence. The frenzy of the activist neutralizes his or her work for peace. It destroys one's own inner capacity for peace. It destroys the fruitfulness of one's own work, because it kills the root of inner wisdom which makes work fruitful." (Thomas Merton, via Ken R.)

"Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn in no other." (Benjamin Franklin, via Eric A.)

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." (Bertrand Russell).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."(Hunter S. Thompson)

"It's not where you take things from, it's where you take them to." (Jean-Luc Godard)

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." (Cicero, via Lee Bentley)

"Without health there is no happiness. An attention to health, then, should take the place of every other object." (Thomas Jefferson, 1787, via Ken R.)

"It's hard for bad things to happen when you have no debt." (Howard Lutnick, CEO of Wall Street firm Cantor Fitzgerald)

"I'd rather be condemned than have other people think for me." (reader David C.)

"Our world only cares for unenchanted things." (Li Po, Chinese poet, 701-762 C.E.)

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerated the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power." (Franklin D. Roosevelt, submitted by C. Ikehara)

"A currency is not just stock of ownership in a particular economy. A currency is also the best possible reflection of the quality of supply chain mechanisms within a particular economy." (John Feier)

I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
I awoke and saw that life was duty.
I acted and behold, duty was joy.
(Rabindranath Tagore, 1861-1941, via Dan C.)

"Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority."(Thomas H. Huxley)

"Its not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it." (Aung San Suu Kyi)

"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."(Bruce Lee)

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." (Bruce Lee)

"All you need to make a movie is a girl and a gun."(Jean-Luc Godard)

"Television is motion sickness of the soul." (Dr. David D.)

"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom."(Thomas Jefferson)

"...Suffering to see your youth pass like a drift of smoke, but if it springs up again and comes to life in what you do, nothing has been lost and the power to work is another youth." (Vincent Van Gogh)

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." (Henry James, via Lynn B.)

"Reality is just so hard to get past security." (Dan C., "Auntiegrav")

"What we need is not a new technology but a new way of living. (Bernard Rudofsky)

"You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only one who does what you do.” (Jerry Garcia)

"Victory favors those who take pains." (amat victoria curam)

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." (C.S. Lewis)

"I don’t know the secret to success, but the secret to failure is trying to please everyone." (Bill Cosby)

"Genius is a non-marketable asset." (CHS, July 17, 2011)

"Progress is not possible without deviation." (Frank Zappa, via Richard Metzger)

"America is in love with Apocalypse. It always has been." (Alexander Cockburn)

"Philosophy is the battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by language." (Wittgenstein, via William S.)

"He who will not risk cannot win." (John Paul Jones)

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
"A blossom has many seeds in one pod.  Only a few will survive.  It is the same in all martial arts." 

- Yoshioka - Sensei
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tecumseh
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to foolsand robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weepand pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pericles
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
CS Lewis
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »
C.S. Lewis, "We scoff at Chivalry and are shocked to find scoundrels in our midst."

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
"Of all recent presidents, the second Bush presidency demonstrated itself to be the one most desperately in need of James Madison." Robert J. Spitzer

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Candidus
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
"f the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." --Candidus

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 05:54:52 AM »
"Go, and purposefully bring goodness forth from potential.

"This is the way."

Eric Bryan

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Shibumi
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2020, 07:15:01 PM »
Refinement is not something that can be "bought,"  it is a rather long process of "earning it." In some cases it can take generations.

"Refinement like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."

“As you know, shibumi has to do with great refinement underlying commonplace appearances. It is a statement so correct that it does not have to be bold, so poignant it does not have to be pretty, so true it does not have to be real. Shibumi is understanding, rather than knowledge. Eloquent silence. In demeanor, it is modesty without pudency. In art, where the spirit of shibumi takes the form of sabi, it is elegant simplicity, articulate brevity. In philosophy, where shibumi emerges as wabi, it is spiritual tranquility that is not passive; it is being without the angst of becoming. And in the personality of a man, it is . . . how does one say it? Authority without domination? Something like that.”

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Christopher Caldwell
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 06:05:08 AM »
 "The Age of Entitlement" by Christopher Caldwell:
=========================================
"Less well understood was that the internet approach to data, and to reality, undermined ALL types of thinking aimed at understanding systems from the outside-- not just religion, but also science, political ideology, and deductive reasoning.  Big Data worked by correlation, not by logic.  As the Oxford technology expert Viktor Mayer-Schonberger put it, "Society will need to shed some of its obsession with causality in exchange for simple correlations: not knowing 'why' but only 'what.'"  Big Data was a reassertion by powerful corporations of a right that had been stripped from other Americans: the right to stereotype.
, , ,
"The information-gathering capacities of the new internet firms brought them into both collusion and competition with government.
, , ,
"GOOGLE and SWIFT were private companies-- yet their regulatory and public information roles made them look like governments in embryo.
, , ,
"The problem was not the expansion of government until it crowded out the private sector-- it was the expansion of the private sector until it became a kind of government."