Author Topic: Money/inflation, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, BTC, crypto, Gold  (Read 520395 times)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Acc=Accumulation

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Why one should not buy $hitcoins

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
There is only one king...The $hitcoins are puking. Happens every cycle. Many will go to zero and a new crop of coins will be peddled to noobs, and the cycle of life begins again. See my previous chart on altcoin longevity. LTC is the longest living altcoin, but its lost its place too.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
The BTC network is protected by ASIC miners (computers). Its NOT backed by nothing, as some say. Note the size of the Eiffel tower on the lower right corner.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Martin Armstrong is anti-Crypto and is misinformed on BTC. But this is an important wide ranging interview and where we are headed, along with Ukr, Putin, Neocons, Money and how to handle the next few years. Not sure which thread would fit this..so here.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/armstrong-in-the-media/interview-food-shortages-economic-collapse-the-failing-great-reset-how-to-prepare/

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
This is an important graph. If ETH breaks this trendline, it is done, like many before it. A free post from Nik Bhatia https://thebitcoinlayer.substack.com/p/insiders-always-dump?s=r

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Many $hitcoins are going to Zero this time, Luna, Hex and Celsius are a few examples. They are not coming back. History repeats.

BTC needs some time to mature, note what is happening to the BTC supply, very little supply will come over the next few years. Infact after 8 years, practically speaking no more new supply and anything new that is available, will likely be balanced by people losing their keys!. Patience is the name of the game. Several billionaires like Michael Saylor and Bill Miller in the US, Ricardo Salinas in Mexico and others have significant BTC holdings. OTOH, BTC demand is increasing world wide, with many jurisdictions making it legal tender. When demand increases and supply cannot meet it, prices go up. That is the reason you are seeing BTC hold its price around 29K, while the $hitcoins are going to zero. BTC could still go down to 22K, but it has never in its history gone below a previous all time high (20K). So, I wait and buy more, anytime I have some spare cash.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1530506101774376960
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 07:44:26 AM by ya »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hopium

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
ECONOMY

Key inflation gauge slowed to still-high 6.3% over past year

BY CHRISTOPHER RUGABER ASSOCIATED PRESS

An inflation gauge closely tracked by the Federal Reserve rose 6.3% in April from a year earlier, the first slowdown since November 2020 and a sign that rising prices may finally be moderating, at least for now.

The inflation figure the Commerce Department reported Friday was below the four-decade high of 6.6% set in March. While high inflation is still causing hardships for millions of households, any slowing of price increases, if sustained, would provide some modest relief.

The report also showed that consumer spending rose at a healthy 0.9% annual rate from March to April, outpacing the month-to-month inflation rate for a fourth straight time.

The ongoing willingness of the nation’s consumers to keep spending freely despite inflated prices is helping sustain the economy. Yet all that spending is helping keep prices high and could make the Federal Reserve’s goal of taming inflation even harder.

“Inflation is finally slowing, but it’s a little early for highfi ves,” said Bill Adams, chief economist at Comerica Bank.

Mr. Adams noted that gas and food prices have risen in May and that Russia’s war against Ukraine and COVID19-related lockdowns in China could further disrupt supply shortages and send prices accelerating again.

Consumers’ resilience in the face of sharply higher prices suggests that economic growth is rebounding in the current April-June quarter. The economy shrank at a 1.5% annual rate in the first quarter, mostly because of an increase in the trade deficit. But analysts now project that, on an annual basis, it’s growing as much as 3% in the current quarter.

Americans have been able to keep spending, despite higher infl ation, because of rising wages, a stockpile of savings built up during the pandemic and a rebound in credit card use. Economists say those factors could bolster spending and support the economy for much of this year.

Incomes rose 0.4% from March to April, Friday’s report showed, slightly faster than inflation. Still, high inflation is forcing consumers, on average, to save less. The savings rate fell to 4.4% last month, the lowest level since 2008. Overall, though, Americans have built up an additional $2.5 trillion in savings since the pandemic, and economists calculate that this pile is eroding only slowly.

Friday’s report showed that on a month-to-month basis, prices rose 0.2% from March to April, down from the 0.9% increase from February to March. The April increase was the smallest since November 2020.

Excluding the volatile food and energy categories, socalled core prices rose 0.3% from March to April, matching the previous month’s rise. Core prices climbed 4.9% from a year earlier, the first such drop since October 2020.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
BTC in Africa...one nation has legal tender. More will come. Slowly, then Suddenly.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Anyone understand this stuff ?, Greg Foss 35 y. experience Bond veteran says BTC should be at 400K now, based on CDS swaps of sovereign nations. Part 3 is where he shows his calculations.

https://rockstarinnercircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Why-Every-Fixed-Income-Investor-Needs-To-Consider-Bitcoin-As-Portfolio-Insurance.pdf

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
If the world invests 1-3 % of their assets in BTC, thats all we need. Question is in what time frame.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Only money printing can help us.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Time to take my loss on GBTC?

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
GBTC is waiting on their BTC ETF application in July. If approved, it will achieve a 30 % boost and parity with BTC. If not, it will remain at a 30 % discount to BTC. At some point the SEC will have to approve the ETF, for their will be a lawsuit by Barry Silbert of GBTC and SEC will likely lose. I think SEC is just trying to delay the inevitable. Canada, Australia, Brazil, EU, all have ETF's, its just a matter of time. The day the US ETF is approved, BTC goes up massively. I personally would hold, but dont know your situation and risk tolerance.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
That is very helpful.

I am in a position to hold and will do so.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Here's a nice article Casares. It was written in 2019.
https://www.kanaandkatana.com/valuation-depot-contents/2019/4/11/the-case-for-a-small-allocation-to-bitcoin

Note: How he estimates the price of BTC

My preferred way of guessing how the price of Bitcoin may evolve is much more prosaic. I have noticed over time that the price of Bitcoin fluctuates around ~ $7,000 x how many people own bitcoins. So if that constant maintains and if 3 billion people ever own Bitcoin it would be worth ~ $21 trillion (~ $7,000 x 3 billion) or $1 million per Bitcoin.

That means if there are 1 billion users by 2025 (several estimates of BTC users growing faster than the internet), BTC is priced at 333K. The halving is in 2024 and BTC usually peaks 1 year later, so 2025 would be a good time to cash out, unless of course BTC peaks this year.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"This sets the stage for groups like the IMF and WEF to “save the day” by instituting a global basket system, likely under the SDR (Special Drawing Rights) basket, in the name of homogenizing and stabilizing various CBDC markets into a single centralized entity."

this is exactly opposite the appeal of bitcoin

which is to wrest control of the money away from governments and banks

and simply hand it straight back to the bankers and elitists who we are trying to circumvent.

what a joke

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
BTC ATLEAST doubles every year...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
""This sets the stage for groups like the IMF and WEF to “save the day” by instituting a global basket system, likely under the SDR (Special Drawing Rights) basket, in the name of homogenizing and stabilizing various CBDC markets into a single centralized entity."

"this is exactly opposite the appeal of bitcoin which is to wrest control of the money away from governments and banks and simply hand it straight back to the bankers and elitists who we are trying to circumvent.  what a joke"

I posted this the article thinking more about the implications for the dollar as The International Currency.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
It is about time we moved up.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
This came well recommended to me but as I started watching

a) I did not resonate to the narrator, and

b) I did not really understand

but perhaps someone here , , ,

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
some interesting thoughts on gold/silver
« Reply #2083 on: June 10, 2022, 09:54:32 AM »
https://schiffgold.com/commentaries/peter-schiff-the-real-reason-gold-hasnt-gone-up-and-why-it-ultimately-will/

from 1/22

so not terribly up to date

neither bit coin or silver gold
are havens it seems. :((

but some commodities I think have been ...
of course I own none :((

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: some interesting thoughts on gold/silver
« Reply #2084 on: June 10, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »
I own a few small gold and silver coins.

My currency of the future is ballistic wampum.

https://schiffgold.com/commentaries/peter-schiff-the-real-reason-gold-hasnt-gone-up-and-why-it-ultimately-will/

from 1/22

so not terribly up to date

neither bit coin or silver gold
are havens it seems. :((

but some commodities I think have been ...
of course I own none :((

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Inverse relationship between BTC/ETH and inflation
« Reply #2086 on: June 11, 2022, 04:55:36 PM »
Do I understand this to say that rising electrical costs are bad for mining and therefore bad for crypto?

https://decrypt.co/102566/bitcoin-ethereum-tumble-cpi-rising-inflation

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Inverse relationship between BTC/ETH and inflation
« Reply #2087 on: June 11, 2022, 06:53:05 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:46:23 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
So BTC is at 25 K, it could go down to 22K. This is analogous to 2018, where BTC was at $ 3400 and everybody thought, it would go to $ 1000. I am holding. What this bear market does is, it kills many of the $hitcoins and while BTC bounces back, the $hitcoins get killed. This cycle BTC seems correlated with the general markets, so until the markets start to recover, BTC may not recover. In times like this I review the chart below. Here the red line GDP pays for the blue line (debt). There is no way that GDP will increase so much that the debt will be paid off. Neither can interest rates rise very much, for then the debt becomes unaffordable. So the only way to pay off the debt is by more money printing. This will take the form of UBI, student loan forgiveness, more stimulus checks, or even a good monkeypox scare. All of this is good for BTC, the only asset where the supply (inflation) reduces over time. Lots of other positive developments, eg Sen.Lummis/Gillebrand have a BTC related bill in the Senate under review.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Oldie Goldie

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
FWIW my thoughts:

Year over year (8.6% now) in a rising environment understates current inflation.  Most recent month waw 1%, which annualized is something like 13+%.

Year over year Producer Price is now 10.9% if I have it right.  (Don't know most recent month).  Shouldn't this be a leading indicator for Consumer prices?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Right.  It's already double digit inflation. 

Remember 'Innovator's Dilemma' by Harvard Prof Clayton Christensen? 

Paraphrasing:  It is not possible for the entrenched power to pull off a market changing innovation because to do so harms their existing power.

Mentioned in the other thread, inflation is two part.  We already have a handle on M2 (more money chasing).  Now we need a fix for production disincentives (fewer goods and services). 

At the heart of the today's scarcity, shortages and inflation is energy.  It ties to gas prices, diesel, home heating, electricity, transportation, air conditioning, supply chain issues, agriculture, fertilizer and everything else including inflation. Without adequate (and affordable) energy, w are a third world country, and we are producing like one.

The people who caused this can't solve it.  They are fully and unretractably invested in their policies and denial of the cause effect relationship of those policies and inflation.

The fix for anti-growth, anti-production policies must come from the pro-growth party, meaning two election cycles out, best case.  According to Michael Yon, people will starve by then.

Wise man once said, "plan accordingly".

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Worth a quick perusal, skip the first few pages..

https://www.myrmikan.com/pub/Myrmikan_Research_2022_06_14.pdf

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ: Why were inflation projections so wrong?
« Reply #2098 on: June 15, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »
By Greg IpFollow
June 15, 2022 8:00 am ET

Having failed to anticipate the steepest inflation in 40 years, you would think the economics discipline would be knee-deep in postmortems.

Not yet. Outside of a handful of individuals, economists have thus far devoted remarkably little attention to how their theories and models got inflation so wrong. There has yet to be a surge of studies from the National Bureau of Economic Research, the leading outlet for academic economics, on inflation as compared with the gusher of papers on pandemics in 2020.

This would be understandable if economists had only missed by a bit. They didn’t. Inflation at the end of last year was more than double the median projection among economists surveyed eight months earlier and well above the highest forecast.

Economists at both the Federal Reserve and the White House were blindsided. The European Central Bank recently reported that the accuracy of its inflation forecasts “declined significantly during the Covid-19 crisis.”

Economists’ definition of inflation—a rise in the overall price level—is constant but their understanding of its causes goes through regime shifts. Textbooks still link inflation to the money supply, but financial innovation and regulatory changes have made the link between money and spending too unreliable to be useful.

Nowadays, working economists try to predict inflation by comparing the demand for goods and services and their supply as represented by the “output gap”—the difference between actual gross domestic product and potential GDP based on available capital and labor—and by the Phillips curve, according to which wages and prices accelerate when unemployment falls below some natural, sustainable level. Models such as the Fed’s supplement this with measures of past and expected inflation, which influence wage- and price-setting behavior, oil prices and exchange rates.

These models worked reasonably well over the roughly 40 years before the Covid-19 pandemic, but not since. “Economists do not have a satisfactory theory of inflation at this point,” said Harvard University’s Larry Summers. The Phillips curve, he said, “has large anomalies.” It can’t explain why some countries experience hyperinflation, or why in the U.S. the price level rose so rapidly between 1933 and 1935 in the presence of a massive output gap, he said.

Mr. Summers is one of the few economists to have warned of inflation early in 2021 (and to have published several NBER papers on the subject). While he’s critical of the Fed’s models, his framework is similar: He thought President Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus would far exceed the output gap. He said this was a “back of the envelope” model that didn’t yield precise forecasts but, combined with history and judgment, “provided enough information to say overheating was an enormous risk.”

Similar arguments were made by Olivier Blanchard, the former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, who thought strong demand would drive unemployment down to 1.5%, and by Michael Strain, head of economic-policy studies at the conservative American Enterprise Institute.

While all of these critics got the direction of inflation right, their analyses can’t explain, at least using prepandemic relationships, the magnitude, i.e., how inflation suddenly shot from around 2% before the pandemic to 8.6% now—6% excluding food and energy. They explain why inflation rose more in the U.S. than Europe, but not why inflation rose so much in Europe.

Alan Detmeister, an economist at UBS and formerly the Fed, ran a statistical exercise earlier this year that found that the output gap, derived from actual GDP and Congressional Budget Office estimates of potential GDP—both adjusted, and unadjusted, for inflation—can explain at most 0.1 percentage point of the rise in inflation since the middle of last year, and the unemployment rate can’t explain any. He did find that worker quits and job vacancies and supplier delivery times can explain about half the rise in inflation.

This supports the widespread anecdotal evidence that supply disruptions and labor shortages due to Covid-19 and the war in Ukraine account for a lot of the rise in inflation. “Normally when you get the strength of demand we got, you would have seen supply respond pretty strongly,” said Mr. Detmeister. “It’s a bit of a reflection of a failure of modeling. We don’t have good measures on the supply side, particularly on a sectoral level.”

Economists have treated the supply side—autos, housing, restaurants, energy, healthcare, finance—as homogenous and elastic: When demand for nursing home beds or cars rise, so does their supply, and prices rise only a little, if at all.

But in the last two years, supply hasn’t been homogenous. Some industries like e-commerce have hired easily, while others like nursing homes have lost workers in droves. Food sold to restaurants didn’t substitute easily for food sold in supermarkets. Supply hasn’t been elastic: Increased demand for cars and houses boosted prices, not output.

Mr. Strain said this doesn’t invalidate output gap models; it means they need better empirical underpinnings. Nor, said Mr. Summers, does it excuse the Fed or the administration: Supply problems and worker shortages should have made them even more wary of pumping so much more stimulus into the economy.

Nonetheless, the evidence suggests high demand and restricted supply are interacting in ways that economists struggle to calibrate. That is a problem, because it suggests inflation may remain unpredictable as the Fed rapidly withdraws stimulus but supply disruptions from Covid and war persist.

Hopefully soon, academics will have some answers. “The rise of U.S. inflation in the summer and fall of 2021 has been substantially larger and faster than in the last few U.S. recoveries,” economists Emi Nakamura and Jón Steinsson at the University of California, Berkeley, noted in December. Analyzing the competing explanations “will be an important focus of research” at the NBER.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Mr. Summers is one of the few economists to have warned of inflation early in 2021

I doubt this

funny many on Wall Street knew

glad to know our economy is in such good hands

Had a good belly laugh when I heard Powell tell us they are able to "nimbly" do whatever they need to

what a joke