Author Topic: entertainment  (Read 8722 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
entertainment
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
Piers Morgan.  I couldn't find a thread to place this under.  Katherine and I watched Piers on cable interviewing Oprah and on this other show he does following rich and famous locales.  We both thought he is excellent.  Frankly much better than Larry King who perhaps was burned out.

He almost got Oprah to cry when he mentioned the program would be aired on MLK day.  She was clearly teary eyed.  Apparantly every interviewer has been trying unsuccesfully to get her tearful in an interview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Morgan

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: entertainment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
Larry King was unintentionally funny, in a cringe inducing way.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
PM shows promise.  I caught a bit of his Howard Stern interview while waiting for dinner at the hotel on Tuesday night.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
Where did you stay?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
At the Paris Hotel; my friend, who will be the host of my Israel seminar, made the choice.  We were both in town for the SHOT Show.  I was irked at having to pay $30 for one hour of internet use in the business center.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
The Paris is nice.

They don't want you working, they want you at the tables.   :wink:

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »
BTW, glad being under all the surveillance cameras in Vegas didn't cause you to melt or burst into flames.  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
Smartass :-D

Vicbowling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »
I laughed really hard at the Larry King comment. The guy is like a shriveled up raisin (if that's even possible). How old is that guy anyways?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
I dunno, but about 10 years past his "I shouldn't be on TV anymore" date.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
King vs. Piers
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
I thought Piers is pretty good but I guess his ratings have fallen.  I am surprised Larry King criticized him.  It is interesting that one of King's complaint is Piers "is not dangerous enough".   I kind of thought King was always rather wishy washy himself:

Piers Morgan, Larry King spar over CNN veteran's jibe
 – British journalist Piers Morgan (pictured) sparred verbally with his CNN predecessor Larry King, after … – Thu Feb 24, 3:22 am ET
LOS ANGELES (AFP) – British journalist Piers Morgan sparred verbally with his CNN predecessor Larry King, after the US veteran criticized Morgan's talk show technique.

Morgan, who took over in January after King bowed out following 25 years as host of "Larry King Live," light-heartedly suggested he would have to punch the 77-year-old following his jibes in a BBC interview.

"I have spent the last few months saying following you is like following Sinatra. I couldn't have paid you higher praise. And you go in my back yard and say I'm... oversold, undangerous," said Morgan.

King told BBC radio last week he thought Morgan had been "oversold" when he started at CNN, saying: "He's good, but not that dangerous. I think they might have been better off starting quietly."

Damning with faint praise, King added: "He's certainly not bad. He's certainly an acceptable host. He asks good questions, maybe he interrupts a little too much at times."

Defending himself on Morgan's show, King insisted he didn't think the British host was dangerous.

Morgan replied: "We couldn't come in and undersell me. I'm following a legend. You can't follow Sinatra in Vegas and say 'By the way, I'm not very good, and this is going to be useless.'"

King, deadpanning: "Why can't you just say: 'Piers Morgan. I'm coming. Watch me.' What's wrong with that?"

After briefly squaring up for a pretend across-the-table punch -- King said he had heard that Morgan had suggested he would punch him for the BBC jibe -- the British host agreed to change the subject.

But they came back to it at the end of the interview, when Morgan presented King with a pair of suspenders -- the CNN veteran's onscreen trademark -- with a Union Jack flag pattern.

The pair then got into another pretend verbal tussle over the fact that "suspenders" in British English are an item of women's underwear, the British word being "braces."

"So I've been wearing ladies' underwear all these years?" asked King.

"That's what the Brits think," replied Morgan.

"You're dangerous," joked King.

Vicbowling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
Larry King has just become a household name - much like Oprah herself. He does entertain me but just for the mere fact that I can't believe he's still alive! lol!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
I believe this guy is telling the truth. SNL will lie.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
OCT
6 HRSGroundlings Teacher Accuses 'SNL' of "Stealing" Sketch11:14 AM PDT 10/6/2014 by Kimberly Nordyke
096100Email Print Comments "The similarities represent parallel thinking in the comedy world," refutes a source close to the show
A teacher at the Groundlings in Los Angeles has accused Saturday Night Live of "stealing" a sketch idea that aired on Saturday's episode of the NBC variety series.

Ian Gary took to his Facebook page early Monday to argue that a sketch about Tina Turner impersonators was actually a Groundlings idea. The Groundlings' version features Vanessa Ragland and Kimberly Condict, while SNL's sketch featured host Sarah Silverman and castmembers Cecily Strong and Sasheer Zamata.

Watch more 'SNL' Recap: Sarah Silverman Meets Her 23-Year-Old Self

While Gary praises SNL as one of his influences and says he isn't out to "attack" the show or anyone associated with it, he writes: "But, over the years I have seen MANY, MANY sketches flat out stolen from my friends by Saturday Night Live. Nearly verbatim. Word for word... And everyone in our community goes 'Oh man. That sucks.' and nobody says anything because I guess SNL is still some dream for some people or they don't want to get involved, or a million other reasonable things that stop people from standing up for each other when things are blatantly wrong."

Gary also posted a photo of the stars of each sketch in similar costumes inspired by one of Turner's iconic stage outfits. While both sketches have the same concept — the comediennes sing "Proud Mary" as they give brief histories of their career and how they wound up as Tina Turner impersonators — the jokes themselves are different. Still, Gary argued that there are many similarities.

See more 'Saturday Night Live': 10 Most Controversial Moments

"This is fucked up," he added. "This is stupid. And we have the means to make people aware of blatant rip offs of other peoples material. It doesn't need to be a witch hunt. It doesn't need to be pointing fingers, assigning blame, or taking sides. But a simple case of what's right and wrong."

Condict also weighed in on her own Facebook page, writing: "If you liked the sketch SNL did last night about a Tina Turner tribute band musing and singing to 'Rollin' on a River,' then you'll LOVE this sketch Vanessa Bruiser Ragland and I wrote and performed for six weeks this summer at Groundlings about a Tina Turner tribute band musing and singing to 'Rollin' on a River!' " Condict uploaded the video to YouTube the day after SNL aired (the show tapes in New York, while the Groundlings sketch was performed in Los Angeles).

Watch more 'SNL' Premiere Recap: Chris Pratt Taps His Privates ... A Lot

Ragland also posted a link to her sketch on Facebook, writing: "THE O.G TT sketch w/ me and Kimberly Condict."

However, a source close to the show refutes the accusation and says the SNL writers had no knowledge of the Groundlings sketch.

“It's a common idea since Tina Turner is such an iconic figure. The similarities represent parallel thinking in the comedy world," the source said.