Author Topic: 911  (Read 20750 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
A bit late in the day to start this thread, but at least this will be here for next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eQmzw6n3k&feature=youtu.be

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 911
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Again, my apologies for posting this late in the day, but this has been up for 2-3 days on our front page.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/11/video-motorcycles-rumble-through-on-the-way-to-d-c-for-911-rally/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
Woof All:

http://dogbrothers.com/saved-by-the-militia/

As we approach the anniversaries of 911 and Benghazi, regardless of what we may think about how the state of the world got to be as it is, it sure looks like islamo-fascism could be a real threat to the American homeland.

ISIL is incredibly well funded and has at least many hundreds of passports that get them into the US without visa (I.e. US and Euro ). In short, unlike before, the hatred is but a plane ticket away and the people with those passports are both in a messianic rage and experienced in combat.

Mumbai-type attacks are well within their present skill sets and operational capabilities.

It is important to remember that the Russians specifically warned us about those two brothers who went on to bomb the Boston Marathon-- and still Big Brother could not get it right. (It may worth wondering what we got for the devil's bargain of surrendering the freedom of privacy in return for promises of security?

It is important to remember that the only thing that did work on the first 911 was We The People on Flight 93.

It is important to remember that this is exactly what our divinely inspired Founding Fathers had in mind-- the ultimate defense of the nation rested in the hands of a well-armed people.

Precisely because of our Declaration of Independence and Constitution we are a rather well armed people.

As we seek to walk as warriors for all our days, we do not complain of our troubles. God only gives us troubles we can handle and therefore he must think we are some real badasses.

Are you ready to be on a Flight 93 today? Are you ready for cyberwar, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, epidemics, etc?

Tomorrow is promised to no one. Are you ready?

Mangling the words of the poet, take this hour to perform your art and perfect your Life.

The Adventure continues!
Marc/Crafty Dog

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »
Our 911 front page is up.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 911, Sept 11 anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
Our 911 front page is up.

I (also) have an eerie feeling about the coming anniversary of 9/11.  It was not helpful or wise that our President told the extremists they are washed up, defeated, on the run, and Junior Varsity, whatever that means in Arabic.  The tough talk and reach out in his speech tonight out of both sides of his mouth won't help either.  If they are capable of hitting us, they will do it.  Maybe something big.  Maybe just a few, homegrown copycats.  Hopefully just small, failed attempts that we never hear about.

I wonder if we will leave any US diplomats guarded with only unarmed guards in third world countries ruled by competing militias.  And then tell available help to stand down.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The man with the red bandana
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
An old Pak Intl Airlines Ad
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
An old Pak International Airlines ad...might have been the spark for KSM.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:25:28 PM by Crafty_Dog »

seawolfpack5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
For you translation pleasure, bearing in mind one language won't directly form to another;

New York via Pakistan International.  One of several companies "priest-class" direct to New York.  Departs South Orly (Paris Airport), offering the best correspondence with the provincial villages ("in the area", I.e., greater NY area).  New proof of the efficiency of PIA.
PIA is an international company of spectacular development:  3 million passengers a year, take offs every 6 minutes.
A successful caring construct with passenger satisfaction.
For a true crossing.
New York where (with, actually) 60 other big metropolises in the world, leave via PIA.
Yes, I know Missy Franklin's coach.  No, I don't know Missy!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Fresh Footage
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Author: "Where I Was on 9-11"...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
Where I Was On September 11

Fourteen Years

By: Dan McLaughlin (Diary)  |  September 11th, 2015

Until September 11, 2001, I worked in the World Trade Center, halfway up Tower One. I wasn’t doing political blogging at the time, but was writing “the Baseball Crank” as a weekly baseball column for the online edition of the Providence (R.I.) Journal. Here’s my account of that day, written for ProJo two days later while it was all still fresh. We run this every year on the anniversary.

On Tuesday, they tried to kill me.

I am ordinarily at my desk between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning, in my office on the 54th floor of one of the World Trade Center’s towers. Tuesday, I was running late – I stopped to vote in the primary election for mayor, an election that has now been postponed indefinitely. Thank God for petty partisan politics.

Around 20 minutes to 9, as I have done every day for the past five years, I got on the number 2/3 train heading to Park Place, an underground stop roughly a block and a half, connected underground, to the Trade Center. The train made its usual stop at Chambers Street, five blocks north of my office, where you can switch to the local 1/9 that runs directly into the Trade Center mall. The subway announcer – in a rare, audible announcement – was telling people to stay on the 2/3 because the tunnel was blocked by a train ahead of us. Then he mentioned that there had been “an explosion at the World Trade Center.”

Now, I grew up in the suburbs, so maybe I’m not as street smart as I should be, but after living in the city a few years, you develop a sense of the signs of trouble (like the time there were shots fired in the next subway car from mine). I didn’t know what the explosion was, maybe a gas leak or something, but I knew that I was better off getting above ground to see what was going on rather than enter the complex underground. So I got off the train to walk to work.

When I got above ground, there was a crowd gathering to see the horror above: a big hole somewhere in the top 15-20 stories of the north tower (having no sense of direction, I thought that was Number 2 at the time, not Number 1 where my office was), with flames and smoke shooting out. I quickly realized it would not be safe to go into the office, despite a number of things I had waiting for me to do, so as I heard the chatter around about there having been a plane crash into the building (onlookers were saying “a small plane” at that point) and a possible terrorist attack, I turned away to start looking for a place to get coffee and read the newspaper until I could find out what had happened. That was when it happened.

The sound was a large BANG!, the unmistakable sound of an explosion but with almost the tone of cars colliding, except much louder. My initial thought was that something had exploded out of the cavity atop the tower closer to us and gone . . . where? It was followed by a scene straight out of every bad TV movie and Japanese monster flick: simultaneously, everyone around me was screaming and running away. I didn’t have time to look and see what I was running from; I just took off, hoping to get away from whatever it was, in case it was falling towards us. Nothing else can compare to the adrenaline rush of feeling the imminent presence of deadly danger. And I kept moving north.

Once people said that a second plane had hit the other tower, and I saw it was around halfway up – right where my office was, I thought, still confused about which tower was which – it also appeared that the towers had survived the assault. I used to joke about this, telling people we worked in the only office building in America that had been proven to be bomb-resistant. I stopped now and then, first at a pay phone where I called my family, but couldn’t hear the other end. I stopped in a few bars, calling to say I was OK, but I still didn’t feel safe, and I kept moving north. In one bar I saw the south tower collapse, and had a sick feeling in my stomach, which increased exponentially when I saw Tower Number One, with my office in it and (so far as I knew) many of the people I work with as well, cave in. Official business hours start at 9:30, but I started reeling off in my head all the lawyers who get in early in the morning, and have for years. I thought of the guy who cleans the coffee machines, someone I barely speak to but see every day, who has to be in at that hour. I was still nervous, and decided not to think about anything but getting out alive. A friend has an apartment on 109th street, so I called him and kept walking, arriving on his doorstep around 1 p.m., and finally sat down, with my briefcase, the last remnant of my office. I had carried a bunch of newspapers and my brown-bag lunch more than 120 blocks. The TV was on, but only CBS was broadcasting – everyone else’s signal had gone out of the Trade Center’s antenna.

Finally, the news got better. I jumped when there were planes overhead, but they were F-15s, ours. American combat aircraft flying with deadly seriousness over Manhattan. My wife was home, and she had heard from people at the office who got out alive. It turns out that my law firm was extraordinarily lucky to get so many people out – nearly everyone is now accounted for, although you hold your breath and pray until it’s absolutely everyone. The architect who designed the towers – well, we used to complain a lot that the windows were too narrow, but the strength of those buildings, how they stayed standing for an hour and an hour and a half, respectively, after taking a direct hit by a plane full of gasoline – there are probably 10 to 15,000 people walking around New York today because they stayed up so long.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Wednesday night, the adrenaline was finally wearing off, and I was just angry. They had tried to kill me, had nearly killed many of the people I work with, and destroyed the chair I sit in everyday, the desk I work at and the computer I do my work on. And that’s before you even begin to count the other lives lost. Words fail to capture the mourning, and in this area it’s everywhere. I finally broke down Thursday morning, reading newspaper accounts of all the firemen who were missing or dead, so many who had survived so many dangers before, and ran headlong into something far more serious, far more intentional. My dad was a cop, my uncle a fireman. It was too close.

The mind starts to grasp onto the little things, photos of the kids and from my wedding; the radio in my office that I listened to so many Mets games on, working late; a copy of my picture with Ted Williams (more on that some other day); the little Shea Stadium tin on my desk that played “take me out to the ballgame” when you opened it to get a binder clip, the new calculator I bought over the weekend. All vaporized or strewn halfway across the harbor. The things can mostly be replaced, they’re just things, but it’s staggering to see the whole context of your daily routine disappear because somebody – not “faceless cowards,” really, but somebody in particular with a particular agenda and particular friends around the world – wants you dead.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There’s a scene that comes to mind, and I’m placing it in the Lord of the Rings because that’s where I remember it, but feel free to let me know if I’ve mangled it or made it up. Frodo the hobbit has lived all his life in the Shire, where the world of hobbits (short, human-like creatures) revolves around hospitality and particular etiquette and family snobbery and all the silliest little things, silly at least in comparison to the great and dangerous adventure he finds himself embarked on. Aragorn, one of the Men, has been patrolling the area around the Shire for years, warding off invading creatures of all varieties of evil. Frodo asks Aragorn, eventually, whether he isn’t frustrated with and contemptuous of hobbits and the small, simple concerns that dominate their existence, when such dangers are all at hand. Aragorn responds that, to the contrary, it is the simpleness and even the pettiness of the hobbits that makes the task worthwhile, because it’s proof that he has done his job – kept them so safe and insulated from the horrors all around them that they see no irony, no embarrassment in concerning themselves with such trivial things in such a hazardous world. It has often struck me that you could ask no better description of the role of law enforcement and the military, keeping us so safe that we may while our days on the ups and downs of made-up games.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And that’s why baseball still matters. There must be time for mourning, of course, so much mourning, and time as well to feel secure that 55,000 people can gather safely in one place. The merciful thing is that because, save for the Super Bowl and the Olympics, U.S. sports are so little followed in the places these evildoers breed – murderous men, by contrast, have little interest in pennant races – that they have not acquired the symbolic power of our financial and military centers. But that may not be forever.

But once we feel secure to try, we owe it most of all to those who protect us as well as those who died to resume the most trivial of our pursuits. Our freedom is best expressed not when we stand in defiance or strike back with collective will, but when we are able again to view Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens as the yardsticks by which we measure nastiness, to bicker over games. That’s why the Baseball Crank will be back. This column may be on hiatus for an undetermined time while the demands of work intrude – we intend to be back in business next week, and this will not be without considerable effort – but in time, I will offer again my opinion of why it would be positively criminal to give Ichiro the MVP, and why it is scandalous that Bill Mazeroski is in the Hall of Fame. And then I’ll be free again.
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Never Forget" morphs into "Never Mind"...
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 07:24:13 AM »
9/11: Never Forget Morphs into Never Mind

By PAMELA GELLER on September 11, 2015

It is with great sorrow that I reflect back on the terrible day 14 years ago and the years that followed. For one brief moment, the nation understood that we were under attack. We were a nation at war, but before we could get our collective head around the unprecedented attack on American soil, the enemy foreclosed upon our ability to do so.

Since that fateful day, our freedoms, our very way of life has been under attack. Freedom of speech, our First Amendment, is under severe assault, as devout Muslims and their leftist lapdogs smear all those who dare to speak honestly about this threat, and work to force non-Muslims to accept Sharia blasphemy laws restricting all criticism of Islam. The enemedia has gone along readily, demonizing and marginalizing all those who note the ideology motivating the war against America.

The 9/11 Muslim terrorists extolled Allah no less than 90 times in their last letters. Bush declared Islam the religion of peace when it was his duty to explain what we were really up against. He declared, “Islam is a religion of peace” when he should have spoken honestly about what motivated the jihad. The war was clumsily named “the war on terror” and thus became the war of avoidance of the truth. Obama has been even worse, directly attacking the freedom of speech and declaring, “The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam.” And after the Garland, Texas jihad attack, most media spokesmen agreed that we should voluntarily restrict our speech to avoid offending Muslims.

I live with a fatwa on my head. The death threats come  daily.

Public schools are teaching our children the shahada.

We  as a people have (with some notable exceptions) surrendered. Many, many people have, without even realizing it, internalized the idea that it is “racist” and “bigoted” to resist jihad terror. People are used to granting Muslims special accommodations in the workplace. On campuses nationwide, Muslims are presented as victims of the American “Islamophobic” war machine. Movies studiously avoid depicting jihadis as villains.

And so, 14 years after 9/11, our freedom and our future are more under threat than ever.

14 years after 9/11 the jihad is raging.

It didn’t have to be this way.

- See more at: http://pamelageller.com/2015/09/911-never-forget-morphs-into-never-mind.html/#sthash.5pNNm4Xo.dpuf

"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Unlearned Lessons of September 11, 2001...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
THE UNLEARNED LESSONS OF 9/11

If experience is the teacher of fools, class is still in session.

September 11, 2015  Bruce Thornton   

The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 should have been a rude awakening from the dogmatic slumbers of the previous decade. Instead, after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the West went on a vacation from history. The seeming triumph of liberal democracy and free-market capitalism convinced many that all we had left to do was to oversee the inevitable triumph of the Western paradigm throughout the world. Unfortunately, the “world,” especially the Islamic ummah, had other plans, ones that our own bad ideas and cultural dogmas have advanced.

Most broadly, the centuries-long belief that all peoples everywhere are embryonic Westerners should have been shattered by the slaughter in Manhattan and at the Pentagon. The attacks were a horrifically graphic reminder that our core ideals––human rights, sex equality, tolerance of difference, peaceful coexistence, personal and political freedom, material prosperity, the separation of church and state, free speech, and consensual government founded on law––were historical anomalies rather than the destiny of all humanity.

The 19 murderers were acting on a radically different set of ideals and principles––the doctrines of Islam that had destroyed the mighty Byzantine and Persian Empires, and that had invaded, plundered, and occupied southern Europe for 1000 years. We should have learned that nearly a quarter of the world’s people still take seriously what we have reduced to a life-style choice––faith in a transcendent power for whose commands the believer will kill and die, and whose spiritual imperatives trump freedom, human rights, and all the other goods we desire.

At the same time we indulged this universalism, we incoherently endorsed multiculturalism, a doctrine of cultural relativism­­––the idea that all cultures and their differences are equally good and admirable, that no basis exists for judging a culture or saying one is better than another, and that to say one is better is insensitive ethnocentrism or even racism. September 11 should have exposed this superstition as a dangerous lie, and reminded us that all cultures and social practices are not equal. Islamic sharia law, which codifies beliefs founded on fossilized tradition, intolerance, sex apartheid, and justified violence against infidels, are not just “different,” but inferior, for they limit human potential and flourishing by restricting individual freedom.

The next lesson of September 11 should have been the dangerous consequences of the anti-Americanism rife not just in the Middle East and Third World, but among many Europeans and Americans themselves. In the months after the attack numerous American and European intellectuals opined that America had in one way or another “deserved” the attacks. As Obama’s pastor Jeremiah Wright put it, the attacks were “chickens coming home to roost,” and America was paying for its numerous imperialist and racist crimes. This fashionable superstition, whose ultimate origins lie in communist propaganda, had hardened into stale clichés and an unthinking reflex triggered by international envy and resentment of America’s success, and by self-loathing and guilt on the part of Americans who enjoy biting the hand that fattens them.

In fact, there has never been a great power with the cultural, economic, and military resources of America that has been as restrained in using that power. Muslims in particular have benefited from America’s dominance, which saved hundreds of thousands of Muslims in the Balkans and Iraq, and even after 9/11, liberated millions more from the psychopathic Saddam Hussein and the vicious Taliban. Contrary to anti-American propaganda, the U.S. wasn’t targeted by al Qaeda for its alleged “crimes” against Islam, a specious pretext bin Laden cooked up to appeal to self-hating Westerners and rally disaffected Muslims, but for being the world hegemon that wields the power and influence the faithful believe Allah has destined for his believers. We should have learned on 9/11 that as a great power, we will be hated, envied, and resented merely for our existence, and that there is no number of good deeds we can perform to make like us those whose culture and traditions teach that they must hate us.

We also should have learned that our abysmal ignorance of history lies behind the demonization of the United States and our blindness to the reality of Islam. Too many of us endorse the lie that the U.S. has been a racist colonial and imperial power, oppressing and exploiting people across the globe, even as we gush over myths about Islamic “tolerance” and cultural achievements, and ignore the 1000-year record of Imperial Islam’s invasion, conquest, colonization, slaving, slaughter, raiding, and plundering of Christian lands. No better example of this ignorance has been the President, who has decried the Crusades––an attempt to liberate lands that had been Christian for over six centuries from their Muslim conquerors and overlords––and the Spanish Inquisition, whose toll of dead in its whole existence is about the same as the 5000 Jews slaughtered over a few days in Muslim Granada in 1066. Without history to provide the context for evaluating human behavior, we are vulnerable to the propaganda and duplicitous pretexts of the jihadists.

Finally, we should have connected the ignorance of history to the delusional utopianism that infects the West. The carnage on 9/11 should have restored the tragic vision of human existence, the recognition that humans flawed by destructive passions in a brutal indifferent world of chance, change, and death will never create heaven on earth. We should have relearned what our fathers and grandfather knew in World War II: that good men sometimes have to do things they’d rather not in order to keep bad men from prevailing; that the question is not whether people live or die, but whether some people die today so more people don’t die later; that hard, brutal choices have to be made in order to protect our civilization and its cherished goods like freedom and human rights. The simple fact is, if we had fought World War II the way we are fighting the war against jihadists and the states that nourish them, we would have lost.

The last decade and a half, especially the presidency of Barack Obama, has confirmed that many Americans, most on the left, did not learn those lessons. They still think the Middle East can be fixed by more democracy or economic development, since those peoples just want what we want, freedom, peace, and prosperity. Perhaps some do, but millions want more to live in obedience to Allah and restore the dominance Muslims enjoyed for 1000 years.

These Americans still practice a morally idiotic multiculturalism that idealizes the enemy, rationalizes or ignores Islam’s illiberal beliefs and sanctified violence, and proscribes as “hate speech” anybody who speaks the truth about Islam based on its 14 centuries of doctrine and practice. Even the terms “Islamic” and “jihadist” have been erased from our government’s discourse, and jihadist attacks described as “workplace violence” or their perpetrators called vague “extremists.”

These willfully ignorant Americans still indulge a self-loathing that reflexively blames America for all the world’s ills, and as such emboldens our enemies to persevere in the face of our civilizational failure of nerve. They still know nothing of history, refusing to put America’s actions in the context of what other great powers have done, and remaining oblivious to the bloodstained history of Islamic aggression. There is no better example of this cultural neurosis than Obama’s 2009 Cairo speech, in which he apologized for “colonialism” and flattered the mythic achievements of Muslim Cordoba for the benefit of the jihadist Muslim Brothers sitting in the front row.

Finally, the unschooled pursue utopian ideals that claim civilizational order and peace can be maintained without brutal violence, that wars can be fought without all the permanent horrible consequences of mass violence, that conflict with inveterate enemies can be resolved with talk or material rewards, and that economic development and esteem-boosting flattery of an illiberal religion and culture can transform the faith-based identity of the jihadist into something more like us––all delusions evident in Obama’s disastrous deal with Iran.

Three thousand dead and a multi-billion dollar hit to our economy on 9/11 were not enough to school those still clinging to their delusions. But as the Romans said, experience is the teacher of fools. The implosion of the Middle East and the probability of a nuclear-armed Iran suggest that class is still in session, and more hard lessons are on the way.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:43 AM »
At some point  we will look back at the good old days when terrorist mass casualty attacks were non-nuclear.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
This guy anally rapes Truthers
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
Very persuasive!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Israel's partners in peace on 911
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
JASTA
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
https://www.justsecurity.org/32837/president-obama-veto-jasta/

"Reasonable minds can disagree about whether providing the 9/11 victims and their families with a meaningful civil remedy against Saudi Arabia, if the allegations are true, is worth that cost. But ...  the version of JASTA that passed the Senate (and, it now seems, the House) is the worst of both worlds...".

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Challenge for the Generation That Experienced 9/11
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
https://www.lawfareblog.com/challenge-generation-experienced-911

Can't win a war when you can't even truthfully discuss who you are at war with.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
George Friedman: Remembering the Fear
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 05:26:28 AM »
Remembering the Fear 16 Years Later
Sep 11, 2017

By George Friedman

Today is Sept. 11, 16 years since the attack by al-Qaida. It was an attack that changed America, plunging it into a war that raged throughout the Middle East, creating a fear of Muslims and turning air travel from boredom to burden. These are, of course, only a few of the changes – changes that in many ways have been so embedded into American society that it is hard to imagine life any differently.

There are many useful similarities between the attack on Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Both took the country by surprise. Both were followed by wars that changed the country. Fear was pervasive. In Pearl Harbor, 2,403 Americans were killed; 2,977 died on 9/11. Pearl Harbor triggered terror that the Japanese were going to invade the West Coast, a fear that led to the internment of Japanese Americans. 9/11 raised the fear that other terrorist cells were lying dormant in the United States, ready to strike again and harder.

Years later, all the wise men pontificated on how those fears were exaggerated. Of course, they had the advantage of many years; they knew what they could not have known weeks after Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Such people irritate me, not because they appear at the moment to be right, but because of an utter lack of empathy for those who lived through the attacks. By empathy, I don’t mean a condescending nod. I mean that they either do not remember, or do not want to remember, the thrill of fear that went through all of us on 9/11, or the dread of what might be coming.

Small American flags are placed in the names on the 9/11 Memorial in the Manhattan borough of New York City. ALEX WROBLEWSKI/Getty Images

I knew such people then and I know them now. Immediately after 9/11, when the planes flew again, I went to a meeting in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I was terrified of flying and frightened of my fellow passengers. The daily routine of life was shrouded in terror. The passengers on the four hijacked planes took their seats without any dread. The nearly 3,000 who went to work that morning and died had expected with good reason to go home. Getting on that plane, I was filled with a dread that I felt then and that I feel now was altogether reasonable. How else should someone feel?

At the meeting, the predominant mood was a sick panic. None of us claimed to have expected this. None of us were certain that the enemy’s campaign was over. In fact, the dominant view was that 9/11 was not a one-off. If al-Qaida had been able to carry out this attack, what else might it be capable of? What other attack might it be preparing at that very moment? We started to imagine scenarios, based on no knowledge. Our imaginations gave us enough to be afraid of. The greatest fear was that the terrorists had obtained nuclear weapons and would begin detonating them in American cities.

I remember one man who, at that meeting, was as frightened as I was and who had even more reckless thoughts than I did. I have met him since then, and as the years passed and the war against al-Qaida went badly, he began lecturing on how the Bush administration overreacted and gave into the public fear. It wasn’t only that he was delegitimizing the fear that gripped all reasonable people at the time, but that, separated by time, he pretended that he never gave into those same fears himself.
His is not an uncommon behavior. After World War II, most Americans were appalled by the measures taken in the war. Some measures were understandable and necessary, and some were mistakes. Knowing which is which in the moment, when you fear for your safety and that of your family, is hard.

The difference in Pearl Harbor and the war it started (for the Americans) compared with 9/11 and its subsequent war is that World War II ended, with a crisp and clean ceremony, creating a space for reflection and recrimination. Not so with 9/11. The war continues and shows no signs of ending. That’s because the fears that 9/11 brought up haven’t left us, even if some of us pretend otherwise. If we abandon the fight, what blows will be struck afterward? The one thing 9/11 has driven home is that no one has the right to be complacent.

But in a world without complacency, there can be no stones left unturned. In World War II, there was censorship, internment and extensive spying on the public – and it ended with victory. Without victory, there is no end – no end to the fear of Muslims, intercepted communications or spying. The fear lingers and the intrusions go on.
Being afraid of terrorists is not irrational, and focusing on those most likely to be terrorists is understandable. But it’s also something we must consider carefully. If the war doesn’t end, then when do the special efforts stop? When do we go back to normal? Right now, the answer is that this will happen when the enemy gives in. That’s another way of saying not for a very long time. That can’t be so. My question, then, is whether any of these measures helped win World War II, or prevented more terrorist attacks that couldn’t have been prevented under normal circumstances.

Those who are responsible for these measures claim that they are necessary. The truth is we won’t know until the war is over. In the meantime, there are difficult choices to be made, and we do the best we can. Permanent war brings permanent fear, and we will live with that fear until the war is ended.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Imagine a world without islam
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »

I bet you can, if you try.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Many have
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
George Friedman: 911
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 05:05:26 AM »

9/11, 19 Years Later
By: George Friedman

It has been 19 years since 9/11. For me, it was pivotal moment of terror. For many others, once the initial paralyzing fear was gone, it was just a massive overreaction. And since then, a generation has emerged that has no memory of 9/11 and for whom it has little meaning. 9/11 was similar to Pearl Harbor. Both reminded Americans of their vulnerability, and both conjured images of national catastrophe. Both taught the lesson that danger and devastation might come at any moment without warning. The lesson of Pearl Harbor defined the Cold War. Pearl Harbor was a strike and defeat that came out of nowhere. So, too, a Soviet nuclear strike might come from nowhere. And thus, we swore never to stop watching, never to let our guard down, to always remember Pearl Harbor.

When the Cold War was over, the prevailing view was, naturally, that we had won. The world was no longer filled with danger. The Single Integrated Operational Plan for nuclear war was replaced with the Single Integrated Global Market. U.S. power was unmatched and great-power war was a thing of the past. So it was time for the invited to go to Davos and make plans to reengineer the world. Such a fantasy always emerges from the pain and weariness of wars to end all wars.

Desert Storm did not damage the fantasy – it was seen as a stunning display of U.S. might that should warn off future enemies and avert future wars in the Middle East. Instead it triggered the next one, a trigger to which the U.S. was oblivious. The U.S. went to war to protect Saudi Arabia, but did not anticipate the rise of al-Qaida in response.

What’s worse, the U.S. in the 1980s had helped create its future attacker. The Soviets had invaded Afghanistan in 1979, and the U.S. saw this as a marvelous opportunity to pay back the Russians for Vietnam. The Saudi government feared the Soviets, and so it funded the revenge and recruited fighters. The Pakistanis also feared the Soviets and thus provided the terrain to train an anti-Soviet force. The United States oversaw all this and trained the fighters. The fighters went to Afghanistan to regain the land seized by the Soviet infidel, and used the money and training for the next round.

There was a “Rambo” movie in 1988 in which Sylvester Stallone joins the mujahideen, bringing man-portable anti-air missiles to the freedom fighters who were deeply grateful for the gift. They were happy for the training and weapons to wage war against the enemies of Islam. But in the real world, they were not grateful. We had used them to bog down the Soviets. And they had used us to learn the overt and covert arts that, they hoped, would defeat the Soviets – and then defeat us.

Their intention was to recreate the caliphate. For that they needed an enemy, and after the Soviet withdrawal and collapse, the U.S. was the one. If they struck the U.S. and the U.S. did not strike back hard, the Arab world would see that the U.S. was weak. If the U.S. struck back hard, everyone would see that the U.S. was the enemy of Islam. From a political point of view, attacking the U.S. was a win-win. The tactical solution was to send operatives to the U.S. to learn to fly planes, hijack some and hit the global symbols of the U.S.: the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the Capitol.

I was awoken by a member of my staff to the news that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I figured it was an incident; during World War II, a U.S. bomber slammed into the Empire State Building amid a thick fog. I knew there were intense anti-U.S. movements in the Islamic world – less than a year earlier, al-Qaida had killed 17 U.S. sailors in an attack on the USS Cole – but as with Pearl Harbor, we knew something was coming but had no idea what it would be.

It was a day of terror. There are those who would later say the U.S. overreacted. I would love to have seen them on 9/11. The country was first stunned and then terrified. The terror came from not knowing what other covert forces were deployed in the United States, and when and where they would strike. The one thing I knew was that we had been hit hard, and whoever planned this operation was smart, his operatives extraordinarily brave. In a war you are prepared to risk death. On 9/11, we met men who were freely going to their death. It reminded me that day of the kamikazes at Okinawa. The soldier who chooses death as a tactic is the most dangerous enemy imaginable.

For me, the most stunning thing was the cool coordination of the attack, after operating for months in the U.S. without detection. We didn’t know they were here, nor did we know what other plans had been made in Afghanistan. Even as events unfolded on the morning of 9/11, we couldn’t scramble planes in time to interdict the hijacked flights. Al-Qaida hit us hard, they achieved their goal in the Islamic world, and we had no response, obviously poor intelligence and no idea what was next. Anyone not terrified that day was not in touch with reality.

I remember that evening my wife and I walked a deserted road. The planes that ought to have been flying overhead to land at the airport weren’t there. We had a personal ache. The U.S. was at war, and two of our children would fight in that war. Our daughter, then a captain in the Army, was trained in military intelligence. She would serve two tours in Iraq. Our son, a lieutenant, was in Air Force Space Command. Our daughter would be in danger, that was certain. Our son could be as well, and given the events of that day, we didn’t know if Colorado Springs, where he was located, was the next target.

It is one thing for your country to be at war and to go to war yourself. It is a terrible thing to send your children to do what ought to be your job. I didn’t have to predict where our daughter would be deployed, nor was I confused at what my son’s mission might be. I had no mission, except to be stunned, terrified and of no use, except to call the play-by-play on something I really didn’t grasp.

Lenin said that the purpose of terror is to terrify. Al-Qaida’s mission was accomplished. Aircraft were grounded for a few days, and I had to make a trip to Oak Ridge the first day planes were flying again. I flew commercial, which demonstrated the unimportance of the trip and of me. On boarding the plane, I looked at the other passengers as they looked at me. I decided that if any headed to the cockpit, I would strike him in the back of the head with my computer. What I would do with the next guy I had no plan for. But I am sure all the passengers had similar ineffective plans.

The most frightening thing for me was the meeting. There was no Power Point presentation. Americans do not speak without Power Points, but there was no such preparations this time because everyone at the table was as lost as I was. I understood what Adm. Husband Kimmel, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, had to have felt on Dec. 8, 1941. We were afraid and defeated.

There are those who say we allowed fear to take control of us. You bet. Fear is God’s way of telling you you’re in trouble and need to think hard. As for those who claim to have remained cool and collected, I really have one wish before I die (actually one of many), which is to be able to go back and see Mr. Calm and Cool around noon on 9/11 and then a week later. We were all terrified because that was the appropriate response. Whatever errors were made in the following years of war, there was no second 9/11 in America – and not for lack of trying on al-Qaida’s part. But the U.S. shut them down. That is something worth noting.   

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 911 Prepare for many more
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2021, 01:20:42 PM »
The global jihad is tanned, rested and ready. They now have the A-stan base back, a massive amount of modern weapons, cash and most importantly, a new narrative of how America was defeated and ran away in chaos.

Oh, and hundreds, if not thousands of jihadists we have flown here. (What was the BigDog ratio of active jihadists per muslims imported?)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
The global jihad is tanned, rested and ready. They now have the A-stan base back, a massive amount of modern weapons, cash and most importantly, a new narrative of how America was defeated and ran away in chaos.

Oh, and hundreds, if not thousands of jihadists we have flown here. (What was the BigDog ratio of active jihadists per muslims imported?)

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/taliban-holds-huge-victory-parade-showing-us-military-hardware

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/taliban-holds-huge-victory-parade-showing-us-military-hardware

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/09/islamism_triumphant.html

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 911 Prepare for many more/And American Taxpayers will be funding it
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/395443.php

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jizya

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2021, 05:20:17 PM »

https://americanmind.org/salvo/importing-enemies/

Teach your children that when being gang-raped by Afghan youths, to just close their eyes and think of vibrant diversity!

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »

Teach your children that when being gang-raped by Afghan youths, to just close their eyes and think of vibrant diversity!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wisconsin-towns-await-influx-of-afghans-and-wonder-what-it-will-mean/ar-AANQyqg

https://issuesinsights.com/2021/09/01/has-a-biden-fueled-terrorism-surge-already-begun/

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/09/exclusive-biden-administration-sending-afghans-swing-states-will-housed-fed/

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/islamic-terrorist-goes-stabbing-spree-new-zealand-supermarket

Gee, I wonder why...

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/islamic-terrorist-goes-stabbing-spree-new-zealand-supermarket

Gee, I wonder why...

One individual gunned people in Mosques in 2015 - "leading to a widespread anti-gun campaign", but this atrocity was "one individual, not a culture, not a religion", not a weapon.  Thank God someone (law enforcement present) had a gun.  What else would have stopped him?

His hatred is not a culture, not a religion - unless that culture and that religion is preaching this.

He "was inspired by ISIS"   - What is the root of the first word in ISIS (Islam) and why can't they say that?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2021, 01:47:13 PM »
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/06/dylann_roof_the_confederate_flag_and_the_logic_of_the_left.html

Funny how there seem to be different standards...

Gee, I wonder why...

One individual gunned people in Mosques in 2015 - "leading to a widespread anti-gun campaign", but this atrocity was "one individual, not a culture, not a religion", not a weapon.  Thank God someone (law enforcement present) had a gun.  What else would have stopped him?

His hatred is not a culture, not a religion - unless that culture and that religion is preaching this.

He "was inspired by ISIS"   - What is the root of the first word in ISIS (Islam) and why can't they say that?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2021, 05:15:00 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wisconsin-towns-await-influx-of-afghans-and-wonder-what-it-will-mean/ar-AANQyqg

https://issuesinsights.com/2021/09/01/has-a-biden-fueled-terrorism-surge-already-begun/

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/09/exclusive-biden-administration-sending-afghans-swing-states-will-housed-fed/

Gee, I wonder why...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9956217/Male-Afghan-evacuees-bringing-child-brides-US.html

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2021, 09:18:29 AM »

Gee, I wonder why...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9956217/Male-Afghan-evacuees-bringing-child-brides-US.html

https://tennesseestar.com/2021/09/07/afghan-refugee-stopped-on-u-s-bound-flight-with-explosive-materials-but-terrorism-not-suspected/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2021, 04:03:04 PM »

Gee, I wonder why...

https://tennesseestar.com/2021/09/07/afghan-refugee-stopped-on-u-s-bound-flight-with-explosive-materials-but-terrorism-not-suspected/

https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/084/402/046/original/ac55a4638341cfeb.jpg

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »

Gee, I wonder why...

https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/084/402/046/original/ac55a4638341cfeb.jpg

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/robert-spencer/2021/09/08/bidens-handlers-want-you-to-cough-up-6-4-billion-to-resettle-94000-afghans-in-the-u-s-n1477014