Author Topic: 'America', the D'Sousa Movie...  (Read 3177 times)

MikeT

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Unified Martial Arts
'America', the D'Sousa Movie...
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Saw it last night...

By way of review, I would give it a 'B+' (as opposed to 2016, which I would have rated an A).  The reason being not any complaints about quality;  but instead that the movie breaks the liberal critique against America into five parts, each of which could have occupied an hour and a half film by itself. So, my mark is a little unfair, but I just didn't think he was able to get to teh level of response I would have liked to have seen.  It's sort of like trying to fit a critique of 'world religions' into an hour and a half... hard to do much but hit the highlights with a broad brush.  But as an overview and intro to the subjects discussed, as well as a *general* refutation of specific liberal arguments against America, I thought it was well done and would recommend it for anyone interested in such subjects-- even lib's who might want to see it.

And, I did think it was a good reminder that despite whatevrer national warts we might have, we're still the good guys.  Kind of Reagan-esque in that quality.

Anybody else seen it and have thoughts / remarks?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 'America', the D'Sousa Movie...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »

Glad to see your review of this-- I've been thinking of taking my very smart and very smartass almost 15 year old son to see it.

MikeT

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Unified Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
I think you will enjoy it.  If nothing else, it will make your kid more aware of the arguments the left uses to undercut the country.  (But I'm guessing that probably isn't a problem at your house, either  :-) )

Likewise, I plan to see it with my sons, they were just out of town and i didn't want to wait.  :-)

I am actually hoping the movie gets a ton of positive press, I just wished DD could have gone into more detail...  It could have been a three hour movie and it probably would still have barely scratched the surface of how the intellectual left has pursued their current agenda.  Particularly their penetration of Academia and the Media.

And, for me it was at least 'awareness raising' as far as 'further follow-up'.  For instance, one anecdote from the movie that I hope will not be a spoiler.. according to the movie, the first female millionaire in America was a black woman, I didn't know that.  There are several other surprises, but I'll just drop that teaser out there in the hope that folks will see the movie.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
I have 2016 and make everyone I can watch it. Looking forward to this one.

MikeT

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Unified Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
Anybody see this yet?  I'd be curious to discuss reactions.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
Me too.