Author Topic: The Trump Transition/Administration  (Read 130580 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Trump Transition/Administration
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
The world retains its ability to surprise.  Who would have thought we would ever have this thread?  8-) 8-) 8-)

a) Britt Hume commented last night that he was hearing that the Transition Team (Chris Christie et al) was doing an outstanding job.

b) Special Prosecutor for Hillary, Huma, et al?  Or?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:01:31 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Administration
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
Can Obama pardon Clinton from the Clinton foundation investigation even though there is not indictment or conviction?
I would not be surprised if he does it. 
Trump should not IMHO

DDF

Trump's Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
A few ideas about who and what per USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/11/09/donald-trump-cabinet-white-house/93549214/

"Rudy Giuliani

The ex-New York City mayor became one of Trump's highest-profile surrogates. The former prosecutor could now be in line for attorney general.

Newt Gingrich

The ex-House speaker became a top adviser and television spokesperson for Trump during the campaign and was even among the real estate mogul's finalists for running mate. He is said to be interested in becoming secretary of State.

Bob Corker

The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee could also be a possibility to lead the State Department.

Ben Carson

A onetime Trump rival, Carson emerged as one of Trump's most steadfast surrogates. The renowned physician would be an obvious candidate to be surgeon general.

Mike Flynn

The retired general emerged as Trump's most visible military adviser. He could be in line for Defense secretary or some other national security position.

Jeff Sessions

During the primary campaign, Sessions became the first sitting member of the U.S. Senate to endorse Trump's campaign. Now, the Alabama senator could be another possibility to lead the Pentagon.

Reince Priebus

The chairman of the Republican National Committee — which ran the Trump campaign's get-out-the-vote operation — could wind up as Trump's White House chief of staff.

Steve Mnuchin

Trump's finance chairman, formerly of Goldman Sachs, is in line to possibly become Treasury secretary.

Chris Christie

Though shadowed by the recent Bridgegate trial, the New Jersey governor has been a fixture at Trump's side since endorsing him in February and will likely have his eye on a spot in the new administration at the Justice Department or in the White House.

Steve Bannon

The Breitbart News executive became Trump's campaign CEO in August. He could be in line for a spot as a White House adviser.

Mike Pence

While his job is already known — vice president — the Indiana governor and former congressman is expected to play a large role in the Trump administration as a partner to the  new president, who lacks any experience serving in government."

Dislike not seeing Trey Gowdy in there, or Chaffetz for that matter. I'm not familiar if USA Today has any particulr leaning politically which might motivate their picks.

I also heavily dislike seeing Reince Priebus there at all, but that's just me.

Edit: Just to back up the cabinet positions, WAPO also makes some of the same observations:

"Rudy Giuliani, Kellyanne Conway, Newt Gingrich, Reince Priebus, Corey Lewandowski, Ben Carson."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/11/09/are-rudy-reince-newt-the-new-members-of-a-trump-cabinet/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:51:04 PM by DDF »

DDF

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »
Can Obama pardon Clinton from the Clinton foundation investigation even though there is not indictment or conviction?
I would not be surprised if he does it.  
Trump should not IMHO

If he makes sure that she's indicted before he leaves, he most definitely can. All he has to do is pick up the phone and call Lynch, and you can bet that discussion has already taken place.

I'm wondering if I feel strongly enough about her being pardoned to offer wagers. I'm feeling confident.

Edit: Afterthought.... If Obama does decide to get Lynch to press charges, he needs to be careful, because it may lead investigators to the trail, that leads to Obama.

I don't think a president can pardon himself.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:58:32 PM by DDF »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump Administration Agenda - Trade deals, NAFTA, Canada steps up, Britain
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:29:36 PM »
Our best trade partner is ready to talk.

Canada open to renegotiating free trade with Trump
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_2016_ELECTION_WORLD_REACTION_US_CANADA?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-11-09-17-02-46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theresa May has led UK political congratulations for Donald Trump after his US election victory.
The PM said Britain and the US had an "enduring and special relationship" and would remain close partners on trade, security and defence.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37921086

Britain post-Brexit needs trade deals.  Pres. O told them to go to the back of the line.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Obama invites Trump to WH
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
The new White House will be renamed the "Trump" House and have his name in giant letters on all four walls. 

I think Donald should reciprocate and invite Obama to the next Correspondents dinner as a front row guest!

http://www.breitbart.com/live/2016-election-world-reacts-donald-trumps-stunning-upset-victory/obama-congratulates-donald-trump-invites-white-house-meeting/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DDF

Re: Pence takes over transition from Christie
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
Good call!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-cabinet.html?emc=edit_na_20161111&nlid=49641193&ref=cta&_r=0

With Christie's legal problems still looming, I'm surprised Trump hasn't distanced himself from Christie completely. There still may be fallout from this that could cause a Trump administration problems.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/06/bridgegate-christie-team/93403850/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:43:25 PM by DDF »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Pence takes over transition from Christie
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »
Good call!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-cabinet.html?emc=edit_na_20161111&nlid=49641193&ref=cta&_r=0

I think this was the rarest case where the nominee's pick for VP actually did win him the election.  All the other factors in Trump's favor did too in this close election, but without the Pence pick, a rock solid conservative, fully qualified with unflinching loyalty that never wavered or stumbled, Trump would have lost.  Conservative voters came back ever so slowly and that was the evidence Trump now leans conservative and understands the seriousness of the job.  (The Supreme Court list also did that that but was not as visible in the campaign.) 

Might as well start grooming Mike Pence to be the successor.  Is it too early to say Pence/Rubio in 2020 with Trump retiring as a winner, with his agenda fully in place.  They really don't pay you much more to serve a second term.

That also can be Trump's reachout to the other half of the nation.  Enact my agenda and I will serve only one term.  Who could say no to that?

DDF

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Pence's own state the first one called for Trump? IIRC, I'm pretty sure it was.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump to Support Nationwide Concealed Carry
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/11/11/trump-to-support-nationwide-concealed-carry/

Trump to Support Nationwide Concealed Carry
 BY MICHAEL WALSH NOVEMBER 11, 2016

Leftist heads now exploding like popcorn kernels:

Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump -- who said he has a concealed carry permit -- called for the expansion of gun rights Friday, including making those permits applicable nationwide. In a position paper published on his website Friday afternoon, Trump called for the elimination of gun and magazine bans, labeling them a "total failure."
"Law-abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice. The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own," Trump wrote.

It's not a departure from what he's said on the trail this year, though it does mark a shift from a position he took in his 2000 book "The America We Deserve," where Trump stated that he generally opposes gun control but that he supported a ban on assault weapons and a longer waiting period to get a gun.

"Opponents of gun rights try to come up with scary sounding phrases like 'assault weapons', 'military-style weapons' and 'high capacity magazines' to confuse people," Trump wrote Friday. "What they’re really talking about are popular semi-automatic rifles and standard magazines that are owned by tens of millions of Americans."

Liberals have long argued that guns should be regulated like automobiles. So what's not to like?

Trump said in the paper he has a concealed carry permit. The permits, which are issued by states, should be valid nationwide like a driver's license, Trump said. "If we can do that for driving -- which is a privilege, not a right -- then surely we can do that for concealed carry, which is a right, not a privilege," Trump said.
Trump just called their bluff. Hoo boy.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
I have mixed feeling about this-- what about States Rights to exercise the police power?   What about the laboratory of democracy? 

Let's take this to the Well-Armed People thread.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
Jared like HIS father?   His father is ruthless and also very much a partisan Democrat.  This is the weirdest thing.    I am not thrilled about this, if true.   
Bizzarro. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/12/jared-kushner-is-donald-trumps-son-in-law-the-power-behind-the-t/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
Jared like HIS father?   His father is ruthless and also very much a partisan Democrat.  This is the weirdest thing.    I am not thrilled about this, if true.   
Bizzarro. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/12/jared-kushner-is-donald-trumps-son-in-law-the-power-behind-the-t/

Until not long ago, Trump was a standard issue NYC dem.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
SOS
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DDF

Re: who T should NOT pick for big roles
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/11/next-great-battle-for-conservatives-keeping-rino-insiders-out-of-the-administration

we don't need rinos

and we don't need to suck up to Ryan.

I don't know if Trump¡s "backpeddling" on Obamacare or anything else is little more than "strategy" against the press and sitting politicians that he is using until January, but I'm already not like his pick of Priebus, who was very agressive against Trump early on.

Having said that, Clinton would be worse. Irt's all up in the air right now, especially until January.

If I was Trump, I would just shut up and not make anything public until then. People cannot attack what isn't out there, which ironically, was the genius in not outlining his policies during the campaign.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
good youtube video
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

DDF

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »
Those wondering why Trump would be seeming to "play ball" with the other side or elect Reince Priebus as chief of staff;

Trump isn't in office yet, so he may be playing nice as a strategy to avoid giving the media and leftist politicians anything to attack or prepare for.

Additionally, there is a lot that can be accomplished with the Executive Office, Supreme Court, House, and Senate all being Republican, so selecting Priebus may well have been done in order to get RINO support for matters requiring 60 votes.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 04:14:45 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-priebus-bannon_us_5828ec33e4b02d21bbc9507a

I dunno , I am  a Jew and I read b
Breitbart and I never once felt the site is anti-semitic and indeed came to the opposite conclusion.

One challenge for Trump is to convince he is for all Americans no matter the creed, sex, race ethnicity etc.

Then and only then will the LEft's labelling of him a racist and 750 "ists" and "phobists" going to sound hollow.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
I have no problem with Preibus in this position.  Isn't it more managerial than policy?  And isn't Bannon getting a big policy slot?  RP has good relations with Paul Ryan, and IMHO there is plenty of common ground to be had with Ryan.  Congress is an equal branch of government, no need to pick an unnecessary fight with Ryan.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
I have no problem with Preibus in this position.  Isn't it more managerial than policy?  And isn't Bannon getting a big policy slot?  RP has good relations with Paul Ryan, and IMHO there is plenty of common ground to be had with Ryan.  Congress is an equal branch of government, no need to pick an unnecessary fight with Ryan.

My thoughts also.  Preibus may be a great choice for this.  Trump got to see his public and behind the scenes work up close the last couple of months.  He found out he is effective, loyal and keeps his word.  No one saw that coming...

If Preibus is wrong for the job or not needed after the initial legislative surge, Trump is good at changing course on that kind of thing.

Ryan and Preibus are among the 'good guys', not RINOs.  The Republican House is a good check on Obama's policy agenda.  They have given most of these issues more thought over more time and know the legislative landscape better.  Trump may know some other things better.  Where they overlap, we need policies enacted.

DDF

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

Excellent point and I think you're right.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Horowitz, author of "Renegade Jew" article, on Bannon' purported anti-semitism
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
The losers of the left have worked themselves into such a bizarre hysteria over the fact that they lost the White House that they have lost all connection to reality and are now hyping their most ludicrously paranoid fantasies.

The function of this lunacy is to put off the inevitable moment when they are going to come back to Earth and reckon with the fact that they were horribly wrong and the American people have rejected them. For them, Stephen K. Bannon is the straw man of the hour.

I can’t think of anything stupider than the charge coming from all quarters of the left–including a headline in the pathetically wretched Huffington Post–that Bannon is an anti-Semite. The source? A one sentence claim from an angry ex-wife in divorce court no less, that Bannon didn’t want their kids to go to school with Jews. I find that particularly amusing since Bannon wanted to make a film to celebrate this Jew’s life.

Not to be outdone, CNN, which has been particularly vicious, did a nasty attack on Bannon using another of the thinnest reeds available: This was a headline at Breitbart.com calling Bill Kristol a “renegade Jew.” In fact, neither Breitbart nor Bannon is responsible for that statement. A Jew is. I wrote the article, which was neither requested nor commissioned by Breitbart. And I wrote the headline: “Bill Kristol, Republican Spoiler, Renegade Jew.”

I wrote the article when Kristol set out to lead the “Never Trump” movement, after Trump had secured the Republican nomination. I would write it again in a heartbeat. I would write it the same way and with the same headline. Bill Kristol and his friends betrayed the Republican Party, betrayed the American people, and betrayed the Jews when he set out to undermine Trump and elect the criminal Hillary Clinton. Obama and Hillary are supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, the organization that launched the Arab drive to destroy Israel and push its Jews into the sea (that was their slogan).

If Obama and Hillary had their way, Egypt’s leader al-Sisi would be overthrown, the Brotherhood would be back in power, and Israel would be facing a threat from the biggest military power in the Middle East and almost  certainly at war with Islamic terrorists who openly call for the extermination of the Jews.

I have known Steve Bannon for many years. This is a good man. He does not have an Anti-Semitic bone in his body. In his new position as Chief Strategist in the Trump White House, Bannon is the strongest assurance that people who love this country can have in America’s future, the strongest assurance that America is in the hands of people who will give this country a chance to restore itself and defend itself against its enemies at home and abroad.
From Breitbart.com

David Horowitz is the founder of the Horowitz Freedom Center and the author of many books, most recently The Left in Power: Clinton to Obama, volume 7 of the series of his collected writings called The Black Book of the American Left.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
The truth is no defense to the left.

The losers of the left have worked themselves into such a bizarre hysteria over the fact that they lost the White House that they have lost all connection to reality and are now hyping their most ludicrously paranoid fantasies.

The function of this lunacy is to put off the inevitable moment when they are going to come back to Earth and reckon with the fact that they were horribly wrong and the American people have rejected them. For them, Stephen K. Bannon is the straw man of the hour.

I can’t think of anything stupider than the charge coming from all quarters of the left–including a headline in the pathetically wretched Huffington Post–that Bannon is an anti-Semite. The source? A one sentence claim from an angry ex-wife in divorce court no less, that Bannon didn’t want their kids to go to school with Jews. I find that particularly amusing since Bannon wanted to make a film to celebrate this Jew’s life.

Not to be outdone, CNN, which has been particularly vicious, did a nasty attack on Bannon using another of the thinnest reeds available: This was a headline at Breitbart.com calling Bill Kristol a “renegade Jew.” In fact, neither Breitbart nor Bannon is responsible for that statement. A Jew is. I wrote the article, which was neither requested nor commissioned by Breitbart. And I wrote the headline: “Bill Kristol, Republican Spoiler, Renegade Jew.”

I wrote the article when Kristol set out to lead the “Never Trump” movement, after Trump had secured the Republican nomination. I would write it again in a heartbeat. I would write it the same way and with the same headline. Bill Kristol and his friends betrayed the Republican Party, betrayed the American people, and betrayed the Jews when he set out to undermine Trump and elect the criminal Hillary Clinton. Obama and Hillary are supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, the organization that launched the Arab drive to destroy Israel and push its Jews into the sea (that was their slogan).

If Obama and Hillary had their way, Egypt’s leader al-Sisi would be overthrown, the Brotherhood would be back in power, and Israel would be facing a threat from the biggest military power in the Middle East and almost  certainly at war with Islamic terrorists who openly call for the extermination of the Jews.

I have known Steve Bannon for many years. This is a good man. He does not have an Anti-Semitic bone in his body. In his new position as Chief Strategist in the Trump White House, Bannon is the strongest assurance that people who love this country can have in America’s future, the strongest assurance that America is in the hands of people who will give this country a chance to restore itself and defend itself against its enemies at home and abroad.
From Breitbart.com

David Horowitz is the founder of the Horowitz Freedom Center and the author of many books, most recently The Left in Power: Clinton to Obama, volume 7 of the series of his collected writings called The Black Book of the American Left.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Churchhill returns!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
This is who Christie sent to jail
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
If I am not mistaken the witnesses he tried to set up with prostitutes was a relative..  A brother I think.

He went to the Jewish Educational Center  which was a private Jewish grade school about 3 blocks from where I grew up.  The JEC was run by a crooked rabbi ironically .

The father who went to jail was the stereotype big Democrat Party donor in NJ.  I guess he still is but I don't know.

I have a problem with this guys son now being such a big shot with POTUS frankly.

This could well be trouble if you ask me.  Myabe I am wrong I just feel uncomfortable with this as I would think anyone from Jersey would.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Smells like real House of Cards stuff. 

Good reasons for replacing Christie with Pence for Transition Team, but this promises to permanently muddy the waters.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jared has a brother wiht billion dollar health insurance company ?
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
I don't want to sound negative but I hope we are draining the swamp just to bring in a  new one.   :|

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/oscar-health-insurance-start-up-still-bleeding-money

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2016, 06:47:57 PM »
There is merit to the notion that there is considerable vagueness on the "replace" part of "repeal and replace".  Frankly, the Congress should be quite a bit further along with this than it is, and frankly so too should be Trump.

Yet again, I point to Dr. Ben Carson-- whom I think has excellent ideas for this-- yet at the moment he does not seem to be part of the play.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump settles Trump U. case
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Sorry libs.  One less axe to grind for the headlines:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-settles-trump-university-lawsuits-for-25-million-215707514.html

But this does mean the clintons are off the hook.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:18:22 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:30:31 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Liquidate?
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2016, 08:18:32 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/18/news/donald-trump-wall-street-journal-liquidate/

I don't know the best way to do this.   Whether he should put his holdings into some separate trust etc.

You can't claim you are going to drain the swamp and then claim there is no conflict of interests with your business at the same time.
One contradicts the other.  

I don't know if Ivanka was directly involved in the decision to hawk her jewelry line but that is exactly opposite of what the average Joe/Jill wants to see.

OTOH while I agree with the message the hypocrisy that the WSJ is the messenger is not lost on us :roll:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:27:45 AM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »
"Not sure why that means the Clintons are off the hook"

Just saying the deal to settle the case with Schneiderman in the Trump case does not mean Trump should turnaround and thus let hillary, and bill slide with a pardon deal.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Flynn
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 12:05:25 AM »
Not at all enthused about what I'm reading about his Turkish connection or the torture riiff, but am good with the rest.

http://americannews.top/donald-trumps-national-security-adviser-anti-islam-open-torture-wants-jail-hillary-clinton/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
uncharted territory
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
Originally posted under media but this thread is probably more appropriate.

I don't know what to make of this.  I hope this is not a sign that we elected someone who thinks he is king.  As much as I am disgusted with CNN I just don't know about this.

Anyone else with thoughts:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2016/11/21/report-donald-trump-unloads-media-bigwigs-trump-tower-meeting/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »
1) a minor point-- no reason to use the Breitbart URL when the NY Post URL of the whole piece is readily there to click

2) Though I will be making a post in the next day or so about some areas of grave concern that I have about Donald, this particular meeting is not one of them.  The man has a fg point!  http://observer.com/2016/11/mainstream-media-recap-who-colluded-with-the-clinton-campaign/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WaPo: Trump meets with the Pravdas
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »
LMøB^k,hl]f]MMkikTM
,2^MriJh`rLU^fhUqBkM”
B^L\MkikTM]TBqMUk
By Paul Farhi November 21 at 8:10 PM

President-elect Donald Trump met Monday with television news executives and some well-known TV journalists and
repeatedly told them the campaign reporting about him was “unfair” and “dishonest.”

Participants in the meeting at Trump Tower in New York described it as a contentious but generally respectful gathering.
But if the media elite attended in hopes of improving relations with the forthcoming Trump administration, that wasn’t quite
in the cards. The president-elect specifically called out reporting by CNN and NBC that he deemed unfair, according to four
people who attended the meeting, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because the meeting was off the record.
(The ground rules prevented the networks from reporting the very story they were part of.)

The group included some of the top news media figures that Trump had aimed barbs at during the campaign, including “Meet
the Press” anchor Chuck Todd; ABC News anchors George Stephanopoulos and David Muir; CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and Erin
Burnett; ABC correspondent Martha Raddatz; “NBC Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt; and a CBS News contingent that
included Norah O’Donnell, Charlie Rose, John Dickerson and Gayle King.

Among the network news executives present were CNN Worldwide Chairman Jeff Zucker, NBC News President Deborah
Turness, MSNBC President Phil Griffin, ABC News President James Goldston, and the four top executives from Fox News, Bill
Shine, Jack Abernethy, Jay Wallace and Suzanne Scott.

Trump was joined by his newly appointed chief White House strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, his chief of staff, Reince Priebus,
and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, a top adviser.

The meeting didn’t include representatives of newspaper, radio or online-news organizations, although Trump has scheduled
two meetings with the publisher and journalists from the New York Times on Tuesday, including one on-the-record session.
Instead of striking a harmonious tone to build rapport following the election, Trump was combative, participants said. In a
calm and deliberate voice, he told the group sitting around a conference table that they had failed to provide their viewers with
fair and accurate coverage, and told them they failed to understand him or his appeal to millions of Americans.

Trump showed no love for the media during the long campaign, calling reporters the “lowest form of humanity.” And on
Monday he repeatedly used the words “unfair” and “dishonest” to describe the coverage, participants said.

But he made no mention of the enormous amount of airtime that the networks, especially on cable, devoted to his campaign. A
number of analyses have noted that Trump’s presidential effort was boosted by the news media’s fascination with him.
Trump directed particular ire at CNN and several reporters at other cable networks whom he sees as unreasonably
antagonistic toward him, though he did not mention them by name. He also referenced both NBC News reporter Katy Tur and
ABC’s Raddatz without using their names.

The thrust of his critique of Raddatz involved her alleged emotional reaction on election night while she discussed the
implications of a Trump presidency on the U.S. military (ABC has strongly disputed reports that Raddatz choked up on air,
calling such stories “ridiculous and untrue”).

One participant asked Trump for his definition of “fair,” noting that part of the news media’s job is to critically examine a
candidate’s words and background. Trump replied that his definition was “truth.”

The participants variously described Trump as “combative,” “proud,” and “dismissive” toward the news organizations present.
He also shrugged off the need for a constant pool covering him, the people said, though he did not delve into specifics. Trump
has repeatedly shirked his pool, upending a long-standing tradition of the president and president-elect.