Author Topic: 2024  (Read 71596 times)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Miranda Devine on Vivek
« Reply #450 on: May 05, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/vivek-ramaswamys-vision-is-america-first-even-more-than-trump/

I know he has close to zero chance to win but he does bring good ideas to the table and brings attention to them
is he worthy of  his very OWN thread on this great forum?

https://firehydrantoffreedom.com/index.php?topic=2837.0

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 2024
« Reply #452 on: May 05, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »
That would fit well in the State and Municipal thread.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Noonan: Trump is afraid to debate
« Reply #453 on: May 05, 2023, 04:44:38 PM »

Of Course Trump Is Afraid to Debate
It isn’t 2016 anymore. He’s older and out of political shape, and his absence would hurt his rivals.
Peggy Noonan hedcutBy Peggy NoonanFollow
May 4, 2023 6:44 pm ET

GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump will be going on CNN next week, for a live Town Hall, for several reasons:

To mix it up, like the old days. To be the dramatic focus of attention in a potentially sparky environment, like the old days. To remind people of positive things they experienced during his administration. To go at Joe Biden. To show a contrast with Ron DeSantis, who avoids mainstream media—Mr. Trump has no fear of them. To attempt to stanch the bleeding among independents.

OPINION: FREE EXPRESSION
Free Expression
Four More Years for Biden?

SUBSCRIBE
Add to Queue
Explore Audio Center
A sophisticated friend of his wondered this week what attitude Mr. Trump will bring to the stage. Will he double down or act as if he’s learned some lessons? Will he say what he always says about Jan. 6 and the pandemic, or will he go broader, perhaps even share a hindsight regret? The friend thought the latter route smarter—it would be fresh, and independents might say “huh, interesting”—but expressed no confidence it would happen. I think that was a hint that if Mr. Trump doesn’t present himself as a man who’s learned some lessons, his prospects aren’t good.

Reports continue from Trumpworld that he will skip the first few Republican primary debates, and has told the Republican National Committee as much. This should surprise no one. This isn’t The Master jerking around the organizers to win concessions—How about only Trump speaks and the rest express their thoughts in pantomime?—it is sheer and obvious calculation. He’s leading, his competitors are trailing; they need it, he doesn’t; he’s famous, they aren’t. One of them could land a shot and ding his mystique. Why expose himself? The audience grows if he shows, shrinks if he doesn’t; his absence hurts his rivals. And he can always counterprogram, going live on another network while the debate is on. (I have a rooting interest: The second debate is at the Reagan Library, where I’m on the board.)

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP

Morning Editorial Report

All the day's Opinion headlines.

Preview

Subscribed
But I think the real reason he might skip the debates is that he’s scared of being up there on stage for two hours in an uncontrolled environment with a group of people who are gunning for him. He hasn’t had to do that since 2016. The last time he did, he had nothing to lose. His competitors flailed—he was an unknown quantity; they didn’t know what they were up against. He’s older now, 77 in June. He’s out of political shape. He’s throwing reporters’ phones. He mostly does venues he can control—rallies.

When I was writing this I saw what Chris Christie said on Hugh Hewitt’s show: “If he really cares about the country, then he’s going to get up there, and he shouldn’t be afraid. I’m sorry to see that Donald Trump feels like if he gets on the stage, he’s at risk of losing his lead. If, in fact, his ideas are so great, if his leadership is so outstanding, then his lead will only increase. . . . But obviously he’s afraid. He’s afraid to get on the stage against people who are serious. . . . And if he’s afraid he has no business being president.”

That’s a taunt that’s the truth. If Mr. Christie gets in, it would be as an undervalued executive talent who’s learned a few lessons and is a street fighter. When I think of him in debate with Mr. Trump, I think of the old World War II movies in which the captain of the sub is at the periscope and sees the enemy warship. “Right full rudder.” “Load torpedo bay.” “Fire torpedo one.” You see the straight line going underwater at the fat belly of the ship. Kaboom.

The other candidates, announced and potential, are leery of Mr. Trump—his pull with their own supporters, his success as the nickname assassin. But Mr. Christie would open up a can of Jersey on him.

There’s an old boxing saying attributed (with varying language) to Joe Louis and Mike Tyson: Everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the face. Donald Trump has never had to rethink his plan because he never took it full in the face. He doesn’t have to take what he dishes out. He’s never been the focus, onstage, of a serious, capable, sustained assault on policy or comportment. No one on his side has ever challenged him to his face on how and why he failed as president.

No one knows if he could take it. He doesn’t know.

Trump supporters think in terms of wrestling: “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.” To defeat Mr. Trump you have to attack him. But here, they say, is the problem: If you attack Mr. Trump, his base will never forgive you.

They say this as a warning: Damage Mr. Trump and you seal your own fate.

But Donald Trump isn’t some protected species, he’s a politician subject to the same rules of politics as anyone else. If you go at him successfully you’re a hero to many, a villain to some, and you move from there. He should be challenged like anyone else, not treated like a golden egg on a down pillow.

The presidency requires a fight. It doesn’t need your deft little jabs, your prudent self-protectiveness and indirect critiques.

READ MORE DECLARATIONS
Biden vs. Trump in 2024? Don’t Be So SureApril 27, 2023
Artificial Intelligence in the Garden of EdenApril 20, 2023
Evan Gershkovich Is Not a SpyApril 13, 2023
I don’t think Mr. Trump’s people understand the immovable boulder in the path of a Trump election. It’s not the chaos, the impeachments, the scandal—at this point no one can keep them or their outcomes straight. It’s the actions he took from Nov. 3, 2020, through Jan. 6, 2021—the fraudulent attempts to subvert the election, culminating in the violent overrunning of the U.S. Capitol. Which an entire nation, very much including Trump people, watched in honest horror.

Mr. Trump’s people see this as a political problem, a messaging problem, and not what it is, a moral one. But it is the thing Mr. Trump can never get past. I believe Republicans who are soft Trump supporters, who feel drawn in his direction out of loyalty or indignation at his enemies but who aren’t settled or sure, must begin to see that the American people won’t let that man back in the White House. Because they know he’ll try to do it again, only more competently, next time.

Most of those around Mr. Trump know his problems—bad judgment, little understanding of history, disordered ego. They’re for him for their own reasons. But to their credit, they never say, “He’s wiser than he was in his first administration,” or “He’s mellowed,” or “This is a good man.”

When your own people can’t say these things, that is a weakness. What they do believe, and will say, is the Democrats are worse, the media is worse, and Mr. Trump was never treated fairly. That is their sole unifying principle.

Those around Joe Biden believe in Mr. Trump, in that they believe they can take him. He can take Mr. Trump again. They can’t know that about other candidates but they know it of Mr. Trump because he does what Mr. Biden has long struggled to do, rally and unify the Democratic base. They long to read, “Trump Wins GOP Nomination.” It means the November headline is “Biden Re-Elected.” How odd it would be for Republicans at this point in history to give Democrats what they so long for.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DeSantis
« Reply #456 on: May 05, 2023, 08:24:34 PM »
By CHARLES C. W. COOKE
May 5, 2023 11:51 AM
What the GOP has achieved in Florida is astounding. Republican primary voters should credit the governor who spearheaded it.
Is this what it felt like to be a progressive during the Great Society?

Today, the Florida legislature concludes its 2023 session. And good Lord has it made the most of it. In the space of just three months, Governor DeSantis and the Republican supermajority have created the largest school-choice program in American history, banned abortion after six weeks of pregnancy, made Florida the 26th constitutional-carry state in the nation, forced unions to abide by the Supreme Court’s Janus decision, cut taxes by $2 billion, banned sex-change operations from being performed on minors, barred DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) initiatives in universities, expanded the use of mandatory E-Verify in the state, achieved a previously unthinkable collection of tort reforms, declared driver’s licenses issued to out-of-state illegal immigrants invalid in Florida, prohibited state and local governments from considering ESG (environmental, social, and governance) factors in their contracting and investing decisions, extended last year’s Parental Rights in Education law through twelfth grade, made it illegal for financial institutions to discriminate on the basis of “religious, political, or social beliefs,” and prevented credit-card companies from tracking their customers’ gun purchases.

In recent weeks, Governor DeSantis has been keen to point out that politicians who wish to effect change must first win their elections. The GOP’s achievements within this legislative session underscore his point. Florida is not Florida by accident. It is Florida because, for the last 28 years, the Republican Party has controlled the state’s legislature, and, for the last 24 years, it has controlled the governor’s office. This, not posting memes on Twitter, has allowed it to prohibit the taxation of any form of income, to require any tax or fee increases to receive the blessing of a supermajority of both legislative houses, to create the top fiscal and economic environment in the country, to ban affirmative action, to reject Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion, to appoint six out of the state’s seven supreme court judges, to provide the sane response to Covid that attracted hundreds of thousands of émigrés during 2020 and 2021, and to accumulate all of the other policy wins that, frankly, are just too numerous to list.

I do not like every last thing that Republicans have done in Florida, and I have been happy to say as much. But that is not my point here. My point — the sine qua non point, really — is that Florida provides a remarkable example of a political organization having conceived of, and then executed, a coherent vision. Until 1999, Florida had elected only two Republican governors since Reconstruction. Since then, voters have refused to elect a single Democrat to the mansion. Better still, Republicans have been rewarded for their efforts. From the end of the Civil War until 2021, there were more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans. Today, the Republicans have an advantage of 454,918, the Republican governor has a 59–39 approve–disapprove rating, and the legislature has so many Republican legislators sitting in it that it could pass any legislation it wished to over a gubernatorial veto.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 06, 2023, 08:48:55 AM »
GM:

As previously requested, this line of posting belongs in the electoral thread.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
RFK Jr. blames CIA for JFK death
« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2023, 02:08:44 PM »
castro, mafia , CIA , LBJ etc
blah blah blah

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/robert-kennedy-jr-blames-cia-for-john-f-kennedy-assassination/

:roll:

OTOH I do admit

look at 50 + ex intelligence officers totally willing to lie for jobs , swamp cred, , for lucrative
post  government "service " with the Woke techsters media etc ......

and I would/could  not rule  out the CIA theory
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 02:11:26 PM by ccp »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: RFK Jr. blames CIA for JFK death
« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2023, 02:15:17 PM »
castro, mafia , CIA , LBJ etc
blah blah blah

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/robert-kennedy-jr-blames-cia-for-john-f-kennedy-assassination/

:roll:

OTOH I do admit

look at 50 + ex intelligence officers totally willing to lie for jobs , swamp cred, , for lucrative
post  government "service " with the Woke techsters media etc ......

and I would/could  not rule  out the CIA theory

I use to roll my eyes at that, now I can't dismiss it.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 08, 2023, 06:41:32 AM »
why the rolling eyes ?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 08, 2023, 06:54:33 AM »
why the rolling eyes ?

Morris claiming Trump would be a uniter.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2023, 05:52:59 AM »
Dems and Pravdas in a freak out that one of their own polls shows Trump up 7 over Biden and DeSantis up 5.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 09, 2023, 06:12:07 AM »
Breitbart had article today with clip from 
CNNLOL

when they were speaking about this poll
all they would claim is it is all about Biden's lack of "mental sharpness"

NOTHING about policies

and of course they had to compare Trump mental sharpness poll to Biden
something like 34 % believe Biden ok
and 54 % believe Trump ok

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/05/08/cnns-bolduan-biden-has-lowest-approval-rating-of-any-president-at-this-point-in-their-first-term/

MSM will not talk about Biden's policies in a negative way .  They are defaulting to his dementia .   

They , like us are desperately searching for an alternative to the front runner .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump on CNN
« Reply #468 on: May 09, 2023, 02:26:05 PM »
to get back on Fox

trump goes to CNN

do not look for softball pitches
but be ready to duck the endless fast hardballs at his head:

https://apnews.com/article/cnn-trump-town-hall-kaitlan-collins-9a387cab047b4eed0e036c7308ac69c7

Trump always thinks he will outsmart the networks

they will not let him
probably will wind up being confrontational .....

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2023, 02:30:52 PM »
And with today's civil suit loss it is going to be particularly lively , , ,

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jason Miller : why is De Santis running?
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2023, 02:29:28 PM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/jason-miller-donald-trump-cnn/2023/05/15/id/1119877/

seems like many on the right and all on the left want to paint the seascape of DeSantis campaign as a sinking ship in the storm

well if true we are so screwed  .  Trump barely won even in '16 and then only the electoral college

he has NEVER polled above the high 40s at best.  We have lost '18,'20,'22

he is a loser

then only hope then is he is less bad then the Dem, whoever that might be , I don't believe it will be Biden .

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 15, 2023, 03:05:52 PM »
I suggest waiting to see what happens when he announces.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
talk about delusion fantasy land
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »
from Pj media"

*****What Donald Trump Could Do to Win Even More Support in 2024
AP Photo/Charles Krupa
It’s an understatement to say that Donald Trump has been a polarizing political figure — and I’m talking about among conservatives and Republicans. Back in 2016, he gave many conservatives some pause on whether to support him. I know because I was one of them.

I don’t think I lost friends permanently over Trump in 2016, but I did have people tell me I needed to get off my “high horse” because I wouldn’t blindly support him. When he won the election, I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. I’m glad he proved me wrong, and I was more than happy to vote for him in 2020 considering both his accomplishments in office and who he was running against.

But since the 2020 election and especially since he announced his 2024 run, Trump’s behavior has put plenty of conservatives in the same boat they were in the first time around. Many conservatives and Republicans — and there are differences — wonder if it’s time to move on from Trump. After all, we have some compelling candidates for next year: Tim Scott, Vivek Ramaswamy, and hopefully Ron DeSantis. (And don’t forget Asa Hutchinson — just kidding!)

If Trump is going to serve a second term, he’s going to need all the support he can get. While we know he won’t capture the Never-Trump crowd, there are plenty of skeptical and hesitant potential supporters out there. I have a couple of ideas about how he can bring those crucial 2024 voters around to his side.

For starters, Trump needs to leave the past in the past and focus on the future. The 2020 election is over, and no matter how unfair anybody thinks it may have been, there’s nothing we can do about it short of inventing a time machine and messing with the space-time continuum. So it’s time to drop the complaining about unfair treatment and rehashing what’s past.

how could anyone conclude he will or is emotionally , intellectually mature enough he will ever do this

Instead, Trump needs to concentrate on what he’s going to do to undo the damage that the Biden administration has inflicted on this nation. The border, the economy, energy independence, and the scourge of transgenderism are just a few of the domestic issues on the table, and our foreign policy needs an overhaul. It’s time to replace fixating on the past with focusing on the future.

Another thing Trump should do is stop attacking his fellow conservatives, even those who are his competitors (or potential combatants) for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination. As National Review‘s Dan McLaughlin reminds us, “Politics is a team sport,” and Trump needs to be a better team player. We have a common enemy in Joe Biden and the Democrats, so Trump needs to save his vitriol for them.

how could anyone conclude he will or is emotionally , intellectually mature enough he will ever do this

Instead, we get Trump going after conservatives who don’t follow him in lockstep. In my home state of Georgia, we witnessed this firsthand when Trump went after the Peach State’s solidly conservative and increasingly popular governor Brian Kemp for not falling in line with the “stolen 2020 election” narrative. Trump wasted $3 million primarying former senator David Perdue against Kemp with disastrous results, and all but one of Trump’s handpicked candidates lost either in the primary or the general election. (The one candidate who won, Lt. Gov. Burt Jones, didn’t face an incumbent Republican in the primary.) Now Trump is targeting DeSantis because he perceives the Florida governor as his biggest GOP competitor.

Trump needs to drop his strange obsession with attacking his conservative rivals from the left. It reminds me of the concerns that many of us had ahead of 2016 about whether he was going to govern as a conservative. He has been going after DeSantis — and even Kemp — from the left on topics like abortion and COVID-19 policy. How going left to highlight what Trump finds wrong with other Republicans is supposed to convince conservatives to give him another chance is beyond me.

We may well be headed for Trump inevitability in 2024, and it’s easy to see why so many people believe he deserves a shot at a second term. He could rally reluctant conservative supporters to his side if he would fix these things and run like the president he turned out to be instead of the candidate he’s been lately.

And it would be a bonus if somebody would get him to stop making that weird fist…

he will do it just to piss you off because you dared to criticize him

Donald Trump
AP Photo/Alex Brandon
No matter who wins the GOP primary, we must beat Joe Biden and his handlers in 2024. Supporting independent media like PJ Media is one way to help buck the left-wing media narrative.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
Putting on my Pollyana hat, I see someone ready to jump to DeSantis in the not too distant future.   He sees the flaws, sees the answers, and when his hopes are dashed  , , ,

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
poll trump sucks worse than biden
« Reply #475 on: May 17, 2023, 02:12:11 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
beloved man to run for president
« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2023, 05:19:01 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2023, 06:31:10 AM »
Obviously "polls" often/usually are structured to skew the results.

Do we have a sense of which ones, if any, tend to be honest and sound?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Schlichter on '24
« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
 I agree with this
and only partially of much of the rest :

"The 2020 election, and subsequent ones, show Trump has a sub-majority ceiling. That’s a problem and it’s not likely to change – he threaded the needle once and maybe he can do it again, but hoping to get lucky twice is not a plan."

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/05/22/the-gops-festival-of-losers-n2623507

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2023, 01:51:05 PM »
Yes.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2023, 08:15:32 PM »
From all of us- a point worth remembering.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 24, 2023, 12:47:02 PM »
A reasoned article.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WSJ on DeSantis
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2023, 01:01:03 PM »
The Ron DeSantis Challenge
The Florida Governor has a strong record. Can he offer voters a larger national vision?
By The Editorial BoardFollow
Updated May 25, 2023 9:39 am ET

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in April PHOTO: PAIGE DINGLER/THE NEWS & ADVANCE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
The unfortunate political reality today is that the U.S. is marching toward a 2024 rematch between two aging Presidents, Joe Biden and Donald Trump, that most Americans say they don’t want. This great country can do better, but it’s up to voters to spare us from the divisive oldsters who desperately need each other to win a second term.

At least for now, the Democratic Party is defaulting to 80-year-old President Biden. But even most Democrats prefer a new nominee, and nearly 30% are making that point by telling pollsters they support the vanity candidates Robert F. Kennedy Jr. or Marianne Williamson. It’s not far-fetched that Mr. Biden will decide not to run, or that some serious candidate might challenge the President if there’s a deep recession, or he shows even more noticeable physical or mental decline.

Republicans are at least getting a better choice as a variety of candidates enter the presidential race. They all have their merits and deserve a hearing as the campaign unfolds. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis joined the fray on Wednesday and, judging by the polls and his financial backing to date, he is the biggest threat to Mr. Trump.

The 44-year-old has an impressive resume: son of middle-class parents, Yale baseball captain, Harvard law school, Navy veteran including a tour in Iraq, and a three-term Member of Congress. But he has made his mark politically with his record as the two-term Governor of booming Florida.

His legislative record is as impressive as you’ll find, including near-universal school choice, $3.3 billion for Everglades restoration, tort and insurance reform, paycheck protection for workers in public unions, tax cuts, insisting on free speech in higher education and resisting woke ideology.

His greatest achievement was his handling of the pandemic. After the initial panic and shutdowns driven by President Trump and Anthony Fauci in Washington, Mr. DeSantis did his own homework on Covid health risks and the costs of economic and school lockdowns.

This wasn’t easy given media conformity and the public mood at the time. New York’s Andrew Cuomo was hailed as a national hero for his onerous lockdowns and fighting with Mr. Trump. Mr. DeSantis decided to reopen the schools in 2020 and had to fight lawsuits to do so. He was among the first governors to reopen his state’s economy, and Florida became a mecca for tens of thousands who wanted a refuge from lockdown isolation. For breaking from Covid orthodoxy, he was maligned in the press as the “angel of death.”

This is a sharp contrast with Mr. Trump, who indulged the lockdown lobby for months, kept Dr. Fauci on the job through the end of his term, and shot from the lip on treatments and other controversies that undermined public confidence. This gave Mr. Biden the opening to defeat him in 2020.

The acid test of leadership is how someone responds in a crisis, and Mr. DeSantis showed both the discipline to master the subject and the courage to defy elite opinion for the larger public good.

Mr. DeSantis’s record is undeniably conservative, and some critics fear it may be too far right to win a national election. Mr. Trump seems to think so as he is attacking the Governor from the left on Social Security, abortion for Florida’s six-week ban, and the fight over Disney’s special Florida privileges.

But Mr. DeSantis won re-election in 2022 by 19 points in a state that has traditionally been a nail-biter. He won Hispanic counties and others that traditionally vote Democratic. Mr. Trump hasn’t won anything for himself or the rest of his party since his inside electoral straight in 2016.

A more serious concern for many is Mr. DeSantis’s fence-straddling on Ukraine and Russia. He indulged a former Fox News host by calling the war a “territorial dispute,” though he later said the phrase was misunderstood.

But Mr. DeSantis hasn’t clarified his larger foreign-policy views, and the worry is that he will make the mistake of chasing Mr. Trump in retreating from U.S. global commitments. Mr. DeSantis will need to explain how he defines being a foreign policy “Jacksonian” in an increasingly dangerous world.

The other rap against Mr. DeSantis is that he’s a cultural brawler more than a likable unifier. There’s truth to this. He’s no backslapper, and he’d benefit from even a little of Ronald Reagan’s self-deprecating humor. The best candidates for President campaign with some poetry and optimism as well as policy grit and personal toughness.

The Governor will also need a larger vision for America beyond his Florida success—not least how he’d lift the economy out of stagflation and the country out of its angry divisions. Mr. Biden promised to do the latter but has made his Presidency hostage to the Bernie Sanders left. Mr. Trump is promising a politics of “retribution,” which means four more years of national trench warfare.

Mr. Biden’s failures mean there’s an opportunity for Republicans to offer voters a better vision of national renewal. The country needs it, Americans want it, and the opening is there if a GOP candidate can seize the moment.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Rove on Sen. Tim Scott
« Reply #487 on: May 25, 2023, 02:35:44 PM »

Tim Scott Is Up to the 2024 Presidential Primary Challenge
In a dark and angry era, can he persuade American voters to embrace optimism?
By Karl RoveFollow
May 24, 2023 6:14 pm ET

Gift unlocked article

Listen

(5 min)

Tim Scott announces his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination at Charleston Southern University in North Charleston, S.C., May 22. PHOTO: MIC SMITH/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Sen. Tim Scott can move a crowd. I’ve seen it more than once.

The first time was in May 2021, when Mr. Scott—who announced he is running for the GOP presidential nomination Monday—appeared at a donor appreciation conference for a Republican voter registration effort I helped organize in Texas. He was interviewed for 45 minutes by then-Rep. Kevin Brady. After a few dry minutes discussing the 2017 tax reform the two worked on, Mr. Brady shifted gears, telling Mr. Scott he wanted the audience to know the South Carolinian’s personal story as well as he did. Mr. Brady then asked the only black Republican senator when he first realized someone hated him because of his skin color.

The next 40 minutes saw a riveting exploration of Mr. Scott’s life. The son of a single mom, he grew up in his grandparents’ 700-square-foot rental house. Knowing discrimination from a young age, he became a disillusioned, angry teenager. He was saved by his faith and a mentor—the owner of the Chick-fil-A where he worked. There he learned the dignity of work, the importance of personal responsibility, and the choice he had to make between becoming bitter over what life had dealt him or striving to become better. He talked about being a Christian in a way that was sincere and humble, not showy or presumptuous.

As the interview proceeded, the crowd fell silent, every eye drawn to the stage. No one left or looked at a phone. When it was finished, the audience responded with a level of emotion I’ve rarely seen in politics. Mr. Brady told me the interview’s power came not from Mr. Scott talking about being given the American dream, but because it became clear that through struggle, hard work and love, he had achieved it.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP

Morning Editorial Report

All the day's Opinion headlines.

Preview

Subscribed
This led to a return visit by Mr. Scott to this past February’s voter registration conference. A fellow senator, John Cornyn from Texas, did the interview, with the two focusing on the GOP’s challenges with a changing electorate.

Mr. Scott became so energized that at one point he stood up, walked off the stage and weaved his way through the crowded tables, mic in hand, preaching about the need for outreach, arguing that conservative values can find receptive hearts and minds among the young, people of color, and anyone striving to rise in life. He called on Republicans to offer a confident, optimistic agenda in which every American has a place. His walk through the hall was met with applause, laughter, head nodding and more than a few amens.

Further evidence of Mr. Scott’s ability to connect with voters was his reply to President Biden’s address to a joint session of Congress—which new presidents traditionally deliver in lieu of a State of the Union address—in April 2021. Giving the opposition party’s response is usually the worst assignment in politics. A nervous, ill-prepared backbencher responding to the president within minutes generally results in an awkward speech that pales in significance to the majesty of a long-planned presidential address.

Yet Mr. Scott’s appearance was impressive. He praised Mr. Biden as “a good man” but criticized him for “pulling us further apart.” He found fault with the president’s $2 trillion spending bill, which passed on a party-line vote. He pointed to Mr. Biden’s abandonment of his decadeslong opposition to government funding of abortion. He criticized the Democrats’ refusal to consider Mr. Scott’s police-reform proposals—seemingly only because a Republican sponsored them. These actions, Mr. Scott argued, didn’t fulfill Mr. Biden’s pledge to unite the country. It’s rare that a response to a State of the Union resonates so well.

Mr. Scott also has a fast friendship with the best pal in politics—ready money. His $22 million cash on hand as of March 30 eclipsed even Donald Trump’s $14 million. But Mr. Scott’s great strength isn’t fundraising—it’s what brought in the cash: his authenticity in sharing a message.

He’s proved that he’ll be a disciplined campaigner. During an interview Monday, NBC correspondent Tom Llamas tried to lure Mr. Scott six times into trashing Mr. Trump and five times into knocking Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. In every instance, Mr. Scott refused to take the bait, answering by saying what he believed and planned to do. Viewers still got the contrast with Messrs. Trump and DeSantis, while Mr. Scott rose above his opponents.

One challenge for Mr. Scott will be to campaign extensively enough in the first contests in Iowa and New Hampshire while fulfilling his Senate duties. An even greater challenge is to convince a party in which many have embraced Mr. Trump’s dark, angry spirit that optimism and personal integrity are a better option.

It won’t be easy to displace the politics of retribution. That alone makes the South Carolina senator an underdog. But Tim Scott has overcome greater challenges in life.

Mr. Rove helped organize the political-action committee American Crossroads and is author of “The Triumph of William McKinley” (Simon & Schuster, 2015).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Coulter on the tweet king
« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2023, 02:38:33 PM »
https://anncoulter.com/2023/05/24/how-not-to-be-president/

We got powerful tweets !   :wink:

and so many seem to want more genius tweets it seems

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Coulter on the tweet king
« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2023, 02:44:07 PM »
Pretty devastating takedown.

https://anncoulter.com/2023/05/24/how-not-to-be-president/

We got powerful tweets !   :wink:

and so many seem to want more genius tweets it seems

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 27, 2023, 06:49:42 PM »
Coulter can write with bite, but as far as serious analysis of his presidency goes, that is but a fart.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
RFK Jr. on Smerconish (CNN)
« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/04/29/smr-rfk-jr-on-challenging-biden.cnn

I was wondering of MSM would give him the time of day
as I notice him on our side media
Fox Newsmax and others

OTOH I don't make it a point to listen to left MSM  :-D

he makes good points. I don't recall A Democrat who I actually agree on multiple points ! 

SHOULD HE HAVE HIS OWN THREAD?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: RFK Jr. on Smerconish (CNN)
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2023, 10:22:10 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/04/29/smr-rfk-jr-on-challenging-biden.cnn

Fox Newsmax and others

he makes good points. I don't recall A Democrat who I actually agree on multiple points ! 

He does.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: RFK Jr. on Smerconish (CNN)
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2023, 10:22:57 AM »

Fox Newsmax and others

He does.

https://firehydrantoffreedom.com/index.php?topic=2838.0

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Schlichter rooting for DeSantis
« Reply #498 on: May 29, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/05/29/how-the-primaries-will-go-n2623780

at least this previous Trump fan is sensible enough to see Trump is a loser
and should NOT be our candidate:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/05/29/how-the-primaries-will-go-n2623780

"  The other way this goes is if the Republicans look at the candidates and answer the three questions – can he win, will he govern effectively, and can we tolerate his antics – “No,” “No,” and “No.” If they do, they have decided that Ron DeSantis is the answer. "

YES

" going for DeSantis does not mean you hate Trump – I like Trump. It does mean that you prioritize winning the political/cultural war over vindicating his wounded ego."

Well yes and no.  I do "hate" Trump . I would only vote for him only any other Democrat but he is the last resort in my mind

He repulsiveness  can only drag us down more as I see it.

glad to see Kurt reads this board for ideas -    :wink: :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DeSantis money pitch
« Reply #499 on: May 29, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »
Marc F., 

A lot of campaigns are urging you to donate before their self-constructed fundraising deadlines. They’re probably making you feel terrible if you don’t contribute too, aren’t they?

At Team DeSantis we’re taking a different approach.

Our entire fundraising & digital program’s foundation is built on this principle: Our donors are a part of our team; they are NOT our personal piggy bank.

Look, I get it. Times are tough thanks to Joe Biden's Economy and our team doesn't want to pressure you towards donating if you can’t afford it.

You will never receive a solicitation from this campaign that promises a fake match or degrades you for not donating.

No smoke and mirrors, no fake matches, and no lies.

That’s what this campaign is all about, and I promise you, that's the kind of President you will have when I am in the White House.

If that sounds like the kind of campaign, you want to be a part of today then please join Team DeSantis today by chipping in any amount you can afford.

https://secure.winred.com/desantis/great-american-comeback-rcl?utm_source=_&utm_medium=em_p&utm_campaign=2023-05-26__rightcountrylist_ha_rd_rcl_HowWereDif_HowWereDif_greatamericancomebackdb_fr_&utm_term=gopawaken

Chip in $15
Chip in $25
Chip in $47
Chip in $75
Chip in $100
Chip in $250
Chip in ANY AMOUNT to join Team DeSantis
Let’s show the country we love that we’re willing to fight for it.

Chip in today to join Team DeSantis. 

Yours in freedom,
Ron DeSantis for President
Ron DeSantis

Meet Ron DeSantis
Ron DeSantis for President
A native Floridian with blue-collar roots, Ron attended Dunedin High School and worked his way through Yale University, where he graduated with honors and was the captain of the varsity baseball team. He also graduated with honors from Harvard Law School. While at Harvard, he earned a commission in the U.S. Navy as a JAG officer. During his active-duty service, Ron deployed to Iraq as an adviser to a U.S. Navy SEAL commander in support of the SEAL mission in Fallujah, Ramadi and the rest of Al Anbar province. His military decorations include the Bronze Star Medal for Meritorious Service and the Iraq Campaign Medal.

Ron also served as a federal prosecutor, where he targeted and convicted child predators. He was elected to Congress in 2012 and advocated for congressional term limits and a balanced budget amendment. He also spearheaded oversight efforts to expose malfeasance in the IRS and in agencies involved in abusing their authority during the manufacturing of the Russia collusion conspiracy theory. Congressman DeSantis was also a leading champion for America’s veterans and helped enact reforms to the VA and place an emphasis on mental health.

Ron is married to Casey DeSantis, an Emmy Award winning television host. Together, they’re the proud parents of their daughters, Madison and Mamie, and their son, Mason.