Author Topic: Immigration issues  (Read 616036 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Musk benefits to illegals
« Reply #2100 on: February 05, 2024, 08:18:14 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/elon-musk-weighs-in-on-the-economic-impacts-of-illegal-immigration/ar-BB1hLJzi?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=c87279c1cc3e4c0eaa7f12b713a2ca22&ei=22

except for this:

"As a reminder, I am very much PRO increasing legal immigration significantly," Musk added. "I’m not anti-immigration, I’m just against a massive number of unvetted people flooding into America, which any rational person should be.

I don't know why we need more immigration legal as well as illegal

we don't need more:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/312701/percentage-of-population-foreign-born-in-the-us-by-state/

I don't care if they are all rocket scientists.

To claim we need more legal immigration is a form of virtue signaling.
If we increase the legal limit then what is the difference?

It is not just about vetting........

« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:20:04 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
another post today
« Reply #2101 on: February 05, 2024, 10:45:56 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/2024-election/2024/02/05/bipartisan-border-bill-worse-than-skeptics-predicted/

who could have guessed.

anytime shyster democrat lawyers are involved we the people are screwed.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Awfully Briggs of Him
« Reply #2102 on: February 05, 2024, 02:23:05 PM »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration issues
« Reply #2104 on: February 05, 2024, 09:18:05 PM »
DOA!   Message sent and for once if report true,  received.   We’re done taking shit from uniparty.

All these illegals will need to be sent packing. We need to wing all 3 houses and nuclear option of no filibuster.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Another Day, Another NYC Brazen Crime Committed by Illegals Out on Bail
« Reply #2106 on: February 06, 2024, 05:31:34 AM »
2nd post. Funny how these ringleaders and others associated with these brazen crimes are here illegally and out on bail for other crimes against the law abiding:

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/metro/migrant-moped-crew-busted-after-stealing-cellphones-right-out-of-nyers-hands-sources/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Musk benefits to illegals
« Reply #2107 on: February 06, 2024, 10:13:17 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/elon-musk-weighs-in-on-the-economic-impacts-of-illegal-immigration/ar-BB1hLJzi?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=c87279c1cc3e4c0eaa7f12b713a2ca22&ei=22

except for this:

"As a reminder, I am very much PRO increasing legal immigration significantly," Musk added. "I’m not anti-immigration, I’m just against a massive number of unvetted people flooding into America, which any rational person should be.

I don't know why we need more immigration legal as well as illegal

we don't need more:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/312701/percentage-of-population-foreign-born-in-the-us-by-state/

I don't care if they are all rocket scientists.

To claim we need more legal immigration is a form of virtue signaling.
If we increase the legal limit then what is the difference?

It is not just about vetting........

A point of distinction and partial disagreement. 

There are (more than) two valid sides to the legal immigration argument.  There is only one valid side to the illegal immigration argument. Stop it.

I agree a pause in legal immigration might be a good idea as our melting pot is fully boiled over, but I would separate that idea from where we have nearly 70% support to secure the border.  Let's do it.

Remember the lesson from abortion. Roe v Wade was a wrongly decided case and the Supreme Court finally fixed it.  That was not a mandate to instantly and radically change all laws state and federal.  Getting that first part done and taking a breath would have been a better political approach.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Washington Post today: "GOP Will Never Get Another Border Security Deal This Good."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/02/05/border-deal-immigration-senate-republicans/

Think about that. First of all, the border security is for America and Americans, not for the GOP.  Good grief.  And secondly why won't we?  Because, and it's a complete admission, the Democrats don't want the border and the country secured.  Again, if you're a voter, think about that.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
legal immigration
« Reply #2108 on: February 06, 2024, 10:34:48 AM »
"There are (more than) two valid sides to the legal immigration argument"
I tired googling how many foreign born in the US legally
and frankly I don't know what to make of it

some stats include here legally for specific reason
some student visas(higher then reports) ~ 60 million people in US born elsewhere.
some "refugees", some claim "asylum" (don't they all do this now?)

Perhaps ~ 50 mill "legally" but that seems to include those as above with borderline or dubious excuses.

Of course we need to allow for some legal pathways, however all the people who state/claim they are against illegal immigration, but then feel the need to shout out "we need to increase legal immigration" are clearly virtue signaling.

What evidence is there we would be so helped by more legal immigration.

Is Omar a legal resident?
(I know extreme example )

How many times do we hear people on TV quickly addendum/add on to  their argument they are against [illegal] immigration
with something like , "don't get me wrong I am not against immigration, but only illegal immigration"

then the next associated thought or question presented is we should INCREASE legal immigration.

My thought is why ?  I don't see it or think we need do that.
It is clearly people trying to avoid the "xenophobic" label in advance.  VIRTUE signaling.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:45:02 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
4 repubs vote with crats in House to not impeach Myorkass
« Reply #2110 on: February 06, 2024, 10:04:27 PM »
Ken Buck will almost certainly be on CNN soon bashing Trump and the rest of the party ......

what a turn coat  :x

the other 3 I have no idea who they are

of course crats were 214 nay 0 yeah

they are stuck together like crazy glue - they never fail

only we do.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: 4 repubs vote with crats in House to not impeach Myorkass
« Reply #2111 on: February 07, 2024, 03:41:43 AM »
they stuck together, Dems, but were 100% wrong on this one. 

The voters want and the nation needs the border secure, and Democrats are 100% stuck together wrong.

Now we know why Republicans won't impeach Biden over corruption.  It's not that they don't have the evidence.  They don't have the votes.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 07, 2024, 06:07:52 AM »
Very disappointed with McClintock's vote against impeaching Mayorkas.  He has been a strong and principled conservative for a long time now.  Caught a bit of him on FOX this morning.  He was reasoned in his defense, but I disagree. 

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Levin gives us details MSM or to my knowledge Fox people do not
« Reply #2113 on: February 07, 2024, 06:31:00 AM »
Mark Levin

gave a lot of details about the border bill
on Monday's radio / podcast

The entire thing is a shyster scam
would do nothing to slow let alone stop illegals flooding out borders.
basically a phony pittance to building the wall which has loopholes in it that would make it so that nothing on it gets done a perhaps a few miles so Dems can run around claiming they are building the wall
has 5,000 per month intake ok at which point myorkas or biden can start emergency closures (why at 5,000 when it should be zero) but this and all the entire bill is filled with loopholes so Biden or Myorkas can ignore even these absurd restrictions

provides money to help get illegals into the interior get them jobs fast track citizenship (would take 5 yrs - just in time for 2028)
pay for more shysters provide them for free to illegals
allow anyone to claim asylum etc
give border protection people a 15 % raise in effect bribing them to jump on board with promoting this.

off the top of my head this is part of it.

McConnel is that dumb or just a "f'in" liar.
Either way (I don't know which is worse) he is a disgrace
I did not hear anything in the bill that we would want that is favorable to Repubs
and tying it to Ukraine and Israel aid was a scam from day one.

Of course the WSJ thinks it a good bill
Since when did WSJ ever really look out for America or middle class?!
Modify message

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Levin podcast on the Border Bill
« Reply #2114 on: February 07, 2024, 06:35:33 AM »
I don't usually take the time to listen to his almost 2 hr podcasts but the one from 2/5/24 has details I have not heard anywhere else:

https://cumuluspodcastnetwork.com/pods/the-mark-levin-podcast/

PS I don't know how anyone listen to this and NOT be outraged at how these elected officials lie to us and pull the wool over our eyes like we are stupid.
375 pages of lawyer crap
gobbledygoop
so in the end the bill succeeds in advancing the crats and we get nothing

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 10:38:41 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Immigration Absurdities
« Reply #2116 on: February 08, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH
« Reply #2117 on: February 09, 2024, 07:17:23 AM »
https://townhall.com/columnists/victordavishanson/2024/02/09/the-absurd-democrat-border-con-n2635023

anyone know clueless Martha McCallum's email so she could sent this to "bone up".

she must have McConnel et al. connections...... :?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 09, 2024, 05:33:08 PM »
OTOH I have high regard for Martha, but it does seem on this one she has been babboozled.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
seems like a gift to R's
« Reply #2119 on: February 10, 2024, 12:52:49 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/flipping-script-biden-promises-hit-100047154.html

what a joke.
in a week he will forget when the bill was even recommended

I wonder if he read the bill and has any clue what is in it.

:roll: :wink:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
assistant director of Homeland Security under W.
« Reply #2120 on: February 10, 2024, 02:11:12 PM »
This is so stupid it is beyond the pale:

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/4458612-history-confirms-republicans-rejected-a-once-in-a-lifetime-immigration-opportunity/

Why don't we simply disband the R party would be a lot easier.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Martha brings on Border Chief
« Reply #2121 on: February 10, 2024, 02:57:13 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 10, 2024, 04:11:56 PM »
A 15% pay raise may have something to do with it too.

Regarding Martha, maybe her thought process is "Border Patrol would know."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
WT: 3.5 million work passes to illegals, consequences
« Reply #2123 on: February 15, 2024, 06:15:16 AM »
3.5 million migrant work passes help lift economy

Low wages to weigh down per capita growth

BY STEPHEN DINAN THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Biden administration issued nearly 3.5 million work passes last year to migrants, many of them caught and released at the border, and provided an unexpected boost to the economy.

The surge of migrants under President Biden helped stave off what some analysts predicted was a guaranteed recession and was poised to help keep the economy humming for the next couple of years, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

CBO now figures that the labor force will have 5.2 million more people over the next decade than projected, making the economic numbers a bit rosier. The U.S. gross domestic product will be $7 trillion more, and federal revenue will be $1 trillion more.

“More workers means more output, more income, and that in turn leads to higher revenue,” CBO Director Phillip Swagel told lawmakers on Wednesday.

The findings provided a different perspective on the chaos in the immigration system under Mr.

Biden and delivered a new argument to immigrant rights advocates seeking to defuse anger over the border.

“We have an unexpected bounty in the American economy because of the unexpected surge in migration,” said Douglas Rivlin, senior director of communications at America’s Voice. “The reality is that immigrants and immigration are critical to economic growth and critical to the U.S.’s comparative advantage to other countries.”

CBO said it expects 3.3 million net new immigrants this year alone. An estimated 2.4 million of those are irregular migrants without legal visas who are jumping the border or being brought into the U.S. through the Biden administration’s legally iffy use of “parole” powers.

In 2021, the country netted just 600,000 irregular migrants.

Mr. Swagel said the new arrivals fill the U.S. labor force, boosting the economy’s productivity.

That’s not good news for people who must compete with the newcomers. CBO said the migrants are generally expected to work in low-wage jobs, “putting downward pressure on average wages.”

Given the larger population, it turns out that per capita GDP also will dip. In other words, the economy will be bigger, but the average worker will be slightly worse off, said CBO, predicting that real wages will be “slightly lower than they would have been otherwise” in the coming decade because of immigration.

That part is not mentioned enough, said Steven A. Camarota, a demographer at the Center for Immigration Studies. He said the “bigger is better” argument obfuscates what it means for workers.

“If all that mattered was aggregate GDP, then India is a lot richer than Sweden. But what matters is per capita, and there’s no clear evidence that immigration increased per capita. In fact, because immigrants are poorer, it seems to lower it,” he said.

Mr. Swagel confirmed those calculations Wednesday in testimony to the House Budget Committee.

“The new immigrants will tend to go into industries that have relatively low productivity. That will lower the level of productivity of the country as a whole and lead to lower wages, on average,” he said.

Rep. Tom McClintock, California Republican, said that undercuts Democrats’ argument.

“So the party that keeps touting itself as the friend of the worker actually is advocating policies that are suppressing the wages of working Americans by flooding the labor market,” he said.

Rep. Ilhan Omar, Minnesota Democrat, countered that legalizing illegal immigrants could better boost the economy.

CBO, in a major demographic report last month, revealed the parameters of the current migrant surge. It calculated that immigration added a net of 2.6 million people to the U.S. population in 2022 and 3.3 million last year. It will add another 3.3 million this year.

Of those, 2.4 million lacked visas permitting them to be in the U.S.

Some, particularly those ushered through parole, could claim work permits immediately, helping fuel the nearly 3.5 million permits issued last year.

That was double the number of work permits issued in fiscal 2019, the last full year before the pandemic.

CBO figures migration will cool off after 2026 but still represent 70% of America’s total population growth. From 2040 on, all population growth will come from immigration because fertility rates alone are no longer high enough to increase the population.

Mr. Rivlin said those sorts of calculations challenge a central tenet of the Trump-infused Republican Party, which he said has become increasingly hostile to all immigration.

“It’s part of the great American success story that we forged a multiracial democracy out of people that came from everywhere from different types of circumstances and makes us the envy of the world,” he said. “Republicans really aren’t so sure about that. They really have been taken over by the nationalists and the White supremacists that see the multiracial democracy part of the success story as problematic.”

Mr. Camarota said relying on immigrants to power economic expansion carries dangers.

He released a report this week that found immigrants accounted for all the nation’s labor force growth from 2019 through 2023. Meanwhile, the number of U.S.-born people in the workforce dropped, with non-collegeeducated U.S.-born men particularly suffering.

Those labor force dropouts signal a host of social ills, but the migrant surge is obscuring it, Mr. Camarota said.

“We will never address this problem if we keep having high immigration because we don’t have to,” he said. “We’re experiencing all the social problems, but if we have the availability of immigrants, then the difficult question of how do you get working-age people back into the labor force just simply won’t be addressed.”

He said other questions include the country’s ability to assimilate.

CBO said the total foreign-born population of the U.S. hit 55.1 million in 2023, or 16.2% of the total. That shatters the Census Bureau record set in 1890, when immigrants accounted for 14.8% of the population

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: WT: 3.5 million work passes to illegals, consequences
« Reply #2124 on: February 15, 2024, 07:41:30 AM »
They make an important point. We are not getting richer when real wages and per capita incomes are falling.

We really can't even evaluate legal immigration policy and worker needs until the flood is stopped and the ones not deported are assimilated.

A more urgent priority than getting more foreign workers in is to assimilate our existing underclass into the productive workforce, all who are able.

The influx of new, lower wage workers just makes the first rung of the economic ladder harder for those already left out.

In both cases, our welfare state mentality is killing us.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:43:03 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
NYT how dems "flipped" the border issue
« Reply #2125 on: February 15, 2024, 08:25:41 AM »
They didn't.  We just have a corrupt dishonest news media trying to pull the wool over our eyes again:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-democrats-flipped-border-issue-185325986.html

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Myorkas on Amanpour
« Reply #2127 on: February 21, 2024, 05:31:02 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2024/02/17/alejandro-mayorkas-impeachment-vote-reax-amanpour-sot-nn-vpx.cnn

his total jibberesh is
remarkable and Amanpour nodding her head in agreement, as if he is saying anything substantive or truthful is just so sad as the good example of
our government and media have colluded to deceive us.

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
The Root of the Immigration Morass: JFK
« Reply #2129 on: February 23, 2024, 08:51:59 AM »
This piece establishes the foundation of our current immigration mess. Note whose parents ended up in the US due to JFK's policy changes and the impact those butterfly wings (ala chaos theory) has had on America:

https://www.frontpagemag.com/how-the-kennedy-family-caused-todays-immigration-crisis/

ETA: whups, I went to the source material cited in ccp's post above, thinking it was a source from Feedly, rather than one found here. Redundant and my bad in other words, but I'm leaving it here as the source piece is well worth a deep read.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 08:54:28 AM by Body-by-Guinness »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Atlantic: 2015
« Reply #2130 on: February 23, 2024, 07:04:53 PM »
Paywall blocked after a few intriguing paragraphs.  Any way we can see the whole thing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/refugees/419976/#article-comments

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
An About Face He Won’t be Called On
« Reply #2132 on: February 29, 2024, 01:58:41 PM »
Biden tells sanctuary cities to cooperate with ICE, which has a shelf life of the day after the first Tuesday in November assuming Dems retain the White House.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-calls-for-sanctuary-cities-to-cooperate-with-ice-amid-furor-over-illegal-immigrant-crimes

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
One Wrested From the Memory Hole
« Reply #2133 on: February 29, 2024, 08:41:48 PM »
Bill Clinton on illegal immigration. Looks like a State of the Union address. These days saying the same would send the cancel klatch into hyperdrive:

https://noconsensus.wordpress.com/2024/02/29/do-you-remember-when-democrats-sometimes-made-sense/

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Newcomers
« Reply #2135 on: March 01, 2024, 01:54:16 PM »
Please put in the Fetterman thread as well.  TY.

Very much worth noting is that the Blob has now begun calling the illegal aliens "newcomers"-- even before their claims of asylum are assessed/adjudicated. 

This is known as a "tell"  :x :x :x

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Border Patrol v. Biden
« Reply #2136 on: March 04, 2024, 02:58:48 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
CNBC confronts lyin' Butti
« Reply #2137 on: March 06, 2024, 06:11:46 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/let-me-finish-pete-buttigieg-torched-by-cnbc-host-joe-kernen-live-on-air-after-he-defends-biden-s-handling-of-border-crisis/ar-BB1joAVZ?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=e84b6750838e41b8af508f57144f4f67&ei=17

What does Karl Rove say about Democrats who lie like psychopaths?

We need a consensus?
We need to be bipartisan?
We need to reach across the aisle?

For us it is like Israel confronting Hamas
There is no compromise.  We have already been down that road for decades, and look at the results.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
more than half the country .

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/an-immigration-crisis-beyond-imagining/

It is worth noting some other firsts: Mexico’s crime syndicates and their paramilitary forces have never earned so much money from cross-border smuggling, and it is reported that their proceeds from human smuggling are surpassing those from drug smuggling for the first time.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration issues - 'Replacement'
« Reply #2140 on: March 11, 2024, 02:21:20 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 12, 2024, 06:04:12 AM »
"FBI Director Christopher Wray told senators on Monday that there are “very dangerous threats” coming from the U.S.-Mexico border, including a smuggling network with "ISIS ties."

He should be going on MSM and telling the country
He should be at the WH telling them.
He should be notifying Myorkas

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Body-by-Guinness

• Power User
    • View Profile
Immigration & the Gilded Age
« Reply #2144 on: March 14, 2024, 01:20:42 PM »
This quote (found at the links) make a point I hadn’t considered: what would have happened to rural souther blacks that emigrated north during the Gilded Age if the US had loose immigration standards, with the imputation being industrialists in northern cities would have hired Europeans if they could have. It’s an interesting thought exercise:

2015 Nobel Prize winner in Economics for his analysis on consumption, poverty, and welfare, and the person to coin the term ‘deaths of despair’ with his wife (also an economist), Sir Angus Deaton has now changed his tune on immigration and believes it’s creating great inequality:

https://twitter.com/USTechWorkers/status/1767051094008664476/photo/1

https://x.com/USTechWorkers/status/1767051094008664476?s=20

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Pres Obama 2009, Can't have half a million (illegals) pouring in
« Reply #2147 on: March 14, 2024, 08:53:34 PM »
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-2009-half-a-million-border/

During a speech in 2009, then-U.S. President Barack Obama said, "We can't have half a million people pouring over the border [...].”

Snopes Rating: Correct
-------------
But we can have 20 times that many pour in under Biden.

What changed?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:00:36 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
second post US Coast Guard turns back 65 Haitians
« Reply #2149 on: March 16, 2024, 09:05:42 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2024/03/16/joe-bidens-deputies-quietly-block-haitian-exodus/

I wonder if THE REVERAND AL will this weekend on his show call this racist.