Author Topic: Money/inflation, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, Dollar, BTC, crypto, Gold  (Read 522648 times)

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
I had posted this earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57qEFP_UOg

Trezor Model T is the simplest for most. This is best for long term storage and on-chain transactions (on BTC block chain). If you want to do small, lightning transactions (on layer 2), there are many wallets, some can be downloaded on phones. My suggestion is to start with Trezor and then add Lightning transactions to your repertoire after you have mastered on-chain transactions. Pl. note, BTC does not have a support desk, or a CEO that you can complain to, so be very careful, start small with a trial transaction of 10 bucks or something.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
At the pace we are on, ten bucks will be my entire bitcoin investment.

I had posted this earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57qEFP_UOg

Trezor Model T is the simplest for most. This is best for long term storage and on-chain transactions (on BTC block chain). If you want to do small, lightning transactions (on layer 2), there are many wallets, some can be downloaded on phones. My suggestion is to start with Trezor and then add Lightning transactions to your repertoire after you have mastered on-chain transactions. Pl. note, BTC does not have a support desk, or a CEO that you can complain to, so be very careful, start small with a trial transaction of 10 bucks or something.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sir, it all depends on what you are comparing against.  BTC is making new highs in Roubles. When you understand 1 BTC=1 BTC, you will achieve the Zen state.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Before investing in BTC, the following martial arts training regimen is recommended.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1500076354829631490

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Before investing in BTC, the following martial arts training regimen is recommended.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1500076354829631490"

I was wondering why my voice is up a couple of octaves

:-o :wink:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
the executive order seems to be to "study "

(how they [banks and gov.] can politically get control over crypto

but no mention of specifics just yet

hard to believe anything from a Leftist admin could be anything but negative

OTOH Trump is on record of expressing his feelings in a negative way

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Weeks before Russia invaded Ukraine, Marty Armstrong had predicted that Russia would do just that. Now he is predicting mayhem within the next 2 weeks, around March 14. Food shortages, debt suspensions, election suspension (country not specified, likely in Europe). March 14 has been an important target on his Socrates arrays for months. Just throwing it out there....

"There are real discussions about creating this war to further this New World Order and then using this war to justify food rationing because of the shortages and inflation they are already responsible for creating. War will allow them to dodge responsibility and point to Putin. Already you have Biden saying that paying higher prices is the cost for defending Ukrainian freedom. They talk about defending Democracy when Europe has been denied that for the European Commission and the head of the EU also do not stand for election. They have ensured that Zelensky would not yield and allow DonBbas to vote for that would lose the proxy-war to confront Putin."

"There is serious talk about suspending government debt payments and to pretend that this is necessary, they are also considering suspending all private mortgage payments. These are the real discussions going on behind the curtain. If they go that far, then you know this is a preparatory stage for them to default on national debts while making it all sound that they are doing this for you. We will then know that Schwab has his hands in this scheme as well. Let us see if they pull this one-off. The timing I have been told is to usher in such emergency powers as soon as in 2 weeks or by April."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 04:30:51 AM by ya »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Understanding tail risk
« Reply #1861 on: March 10, 2022, 04:51:11 AM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:26:34 AM by Crafty_Dog »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Inflation 8% in Feb.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/10/cpi-inflation-february-2022-.html

For comparison, bank interest rate for "insured" savings is 0.1%.  What loss are they insuring against?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Inflation 8% in Feb."

Dems:

ukraine putin ukraine russia
over and over again from the MSM till the election

drumbeat like a bad one hit wonder song that gets played over and over again till it worms into your brain and it keeps popping up even though you hate it.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Understanding tail risk, short read.

https://twitter.com/jameslavish/status/1493629111973007360

Excellent read!  I like the way he doesn't predict, he explains.

Read Nassim Taleb for expertise on tail risks and "fat tail risks":

https://youtu.be/t7Fr6iGhmBM

And:  https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/fat-tail-risk-what-it-means-and-why-you-should-be-aware-it-2015-11-02

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
The casacius coin looks genuine, the unfunded/funded link is scammy.

Willy Woo update:
Top level summary for 11th Mar 2022 (current price $39.1k):

Structural summary: Institutions and large holders continue to sell down.

Price action expectation: Bearish until we see signs of demand coming back into the market.

Personal opinion: There’s no question we are in a bear market due to the duration of the sell-off. There’s never been a bottom of a bear market in BTC without a capitulation event, so I think there is a high probability that this region breaks down and we test lower lows before accumulation takes place to setup for the next bull cycle.

Willy is stopping his newsletter service, he says its getting difficult to properly do the on-chain analysis.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Willy's latest
Top level summary for 14th Mar 2022 (current price $38.9k):

Structural summary: Demand has returned on-chain but this has not yet been reflected on futures markets. Some metrics are inconclusive and some are conflicting. This tends to happen during structural changes in the market (for example going from macro bearish to bullish). Volatility remains quite choppy this suggests a large price breakout is NOT imminent yet. There is some evidence that a capitulation event has not yet taken place; normally we look for these events to signal a bottom.

Price action expectation: Sideways and reducing volatility over coming weeks before volatility and demand re-engages into the market. This may take a month or two from here (based on the timing signatures of prior bear markets).

Personal opinion: I think the market has started reversing, this will take some time to complete, and often it takes a sudden capitulation event to reactivate buying. It’s inconclusive whether that this has happened yet, I feel like we’re in a region similar to the 2018 bear market where price consolidated at $6k before a final capitulation before real demand came in. However in the present situation, if such a capitulation happens, I don’t think a downside move would be as dramatic, $30k-35k presents solid support.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
US Dollar Reserve Currency WSJ, Dollar in danger?
« Reply #1869 on: March 14, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »
I don't fully agree with the final conclusion, but the article has quite good IMHO. What is really hurting the dollar is the internal mismanagement of our fiscal and monetary lack of responsible, coherent policies. which he notes.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-dollar-in-danger-china-russia-ruble-yuan-reserve-currency-foreign-sanctions-11647195545?st=o9482fo2m6iv6ya&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Is the Dollar in Danger?
China and Russia may be working to take away America’s ‘exorbitant privilege.’

By Andy Kessler
March 13, 2022 5:33 pm ET

The U.S. is sitting on top of a horizontal empire, capitalism’s self-organizing, incentive-based structure with its layers of value. It’s not the Marxist mush of “to each according to his needs.” You gotta earn your spot. Think of the U.S. dollar as the thread or even the duct tape that binds the layers together. Nearly 60% of the $12.8 trillion in world-wide currency reserves are dollars. Is America’s “exorbitant privilege”—the almighty dollar as the world’s leading reserve currency—under threat? Should you even care?

Sanctions have bitten Russia. A huge chunk of its $630 billion in foreign reserves are frozen. Oligarchs’ yachts have been seized. Visa, Mastercard and American Express suspended service in Russia. Apple and Google Pay stoppage stranded cashless travelers on Moscow’s metro. From Netflix to Nike, voluntary sanctions are in force.

Was cutting Russia out of the global financial system the right move? Naysayers think this is the beginning of the end of the dollar as the reserve currency because Russia will cozy up to China and adopt the yuan or pivot to cryptocurrencies. China may start dumping dollars. In fact, since 2014 China and Russia have severely reduced their dependence on the dollar for bilateral trade.

The dollar has been the world’s reserve currency since the Bretton Woods Agreement in July 1944, with the dollar pegged to gold and other allied currencies pegged to the dollar. This wasn’t some bureaucratic pronouncement. The U.S. was in a position of strength after funding the allied effort in World War II. America almost lost this privileged status in 1971 when deficits from war and welfare led President Richard Nixon to drop the gold standard.

Today countries still keep America’s virtual Benjamins in their virtual bank vaults—modern banking’s gold. China has more than $1 trillion in Treasurys. Russia has about $100 billion in dollars of about $500 billion in their increasingly frozen foreign exchange.

But why do these countries keep dollars? What backs the currency? The conventional answer is the “full faith and credit” of the U.S. government. Ha, that and $3.65 will get you a Starbucks grande latte, though not in Moscow anymore. What really backs the dollar is the future tax-generating ability of America’s growing productive economy and a defense structure to defend that economy’s strength. Without that, there’s no horizontal-binding duct tape.

South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia and especially Russia learned this the hard way during currency crisis of the late 1990s. They didn’t keep enough foreign reserves to protect their own currencies after overextending credit and bank loans denominated in dollars came due. Argentina, Venezuela and Zimbabwe learned this too.

China, like Russia, has per capita gross domestic product slightly above Mexico—about one-sixth of the U.S. China’s yuan value is based on its economic growth continuing, now forecast at only 5.5% for 2022. While China needs to keep assembling more iPhones, toys, shoes and grills for global customers, it is struggling to move up to higher horizontal layers.

Whatever China holds in Russian rubles has lost more than 40% of its value in mere weeks. Ouch. If Russia or other countries hold yuan, they risk a similar devaluation if, say, China gets squeezed by sanctions for invading Taiwan. China and Russia should be wary of the mutual delusion of backing only by the ruble and the yuan. And I hope Russia does load up on crypto, the decline of which may make the ’90s currency crisis seem like a picnic.

As Ben Franklin might tell today’s U.S. leaders, “You have the reserve currency status, if you can keep it.” What to do? The Federal Reserve should solidify the dollar by raising interest rates pronto. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen needs to shout “a strong dollar is in our national interest” from the mountain tops. Ending fiscal deficits would also help by creating a bidding war for outstanding Treasurys. U.S. companies need to update complacent supply chains. If products like medications and iPhones come only from China, that’s a problem. Because of this, the Biden administration should quit the union-loving “Buy American” pitch we heard in his State of the Union address, which echoes Donald Trump’s “America first.” Apple can’t assemble iPhones in union-heavy Michigan. America’s strength comes from buying goods and services from our allies in lower horizontal layers like Vietnam, South Africa and countries in Eastern Europe. Don’t mess with that.

It’s time for the U.S. to figure out where China or Russia might have even a tiny edge—pharma, genetics, artificial intelligence, cyberwarfare—and create Operation Warp Speed-like programs to stimulate these industries through orders and prepayments, not handouts.

Sanctions on Russia won’t endanger the dollar right away, but wars are when transitions occur. America shouldn’t risk its reserve-currency status. Inflation really will run rampant if other countries start dumping dollars. America’s privilege is worth maintaining—easier said than done.

Subscribe at: https://subscription.wsj.com/

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Marty Armstrong, on the free portion of the website, commenting on March 14
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/armstrongeconomics101/ecm-armstrongeconomics101/the-ecm-march-14th/

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Reserve Currency
« Reply #1871 on: March 16, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
Quote Of The Day

“What is the difference between a dollar and the Russian ruble? About a dollar.”     - Larry Kudlow
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crisscrossing threads, suddenly the hatred of Democrats for Saudi and their courting of Iran is damaging to the status of the war, geopolitics and to the dollar.

Saudi Arabia reportedly considering accepting yuan instead of dollar for oil sales
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/598257-saudi-arabia-considers-accepting-yuan-instead-of-dollar-for-oil
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:21:28 AM by DougMacG »

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Willy Woo
Top level summary for 18th Mar 2022 (current price $40.9k):

Structural summary: Demand continues to come in from futures markets backing up what we have been seeing on-chain. Fundamental signals now point to BTC being in an accumulation zone which typifies the end of bear markets.

Price action expectation: The countdown for a bullish break out of the bear market is now in effect, my best guess from price stability data is we are within a 1-2 weeks of this happening, but it could even be sooner.

Price action conviction: high

ETH Notes: ETH on-chain demand is at all-time-highs and the technical picture looks strong against BTC. I expect it to outperform BTC in coming weeks.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
ETH is a Rube Goldberg contraption. Hopefully, it will be delayed again. For HIVE they will need to move off ETH to something else. My guess is the BTC miners from Intel. There could be some volatility, if ETH succeeds, or more likely HIVE will not appreciate as much in a BTC rally. Proof of Stake consumes less energy and so the green lobby loves it. However, it is more centralized and Vitalik can be pulled before Congress., so ETH will never be a store of money, but may form the base layer for smart contracts and other applications.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
CD, I can't see seeking alpha article

wants me to subscribe

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Free log-in

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
YA:  Sell or hold ETH? and put into BTC?

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
The wise people use ETH to trade and make profits to buy BTC on pull backs, since in a bull market ETH usually appreciates more than BTC. In the coming bull market, ETH will likely gain more than BTC, that would be the time to sell. Several years ago, when ETH was < 100 $, I sold all. I personally dont believe in ETH, though there is a whole army of ETH believers out there.

BTC is a long term hold, not to be traded, like Gold, where one bets that inflation and money printing is a constant going forward.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Thank you.

Thinking of adding slightly to BTC , , ,

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Thank you.

Thinking of adding slightly to BTC , , ,

Add to food, ammo, training and medical supplies first.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
"Add to food, ammo, training and medical supplies first."

Well underway on that.

Bought a three fuel generator this week (gasoline, propane, NG)

Bought walkie talkie recommended by Frankie for if/when the phones go down.

Food supply on hand est. 6-9 months so far.

Gardening underway.  Yesterday planted two fig trees, two raspberry bushes.  This week building garden boxes.  Have goodly supply of goodly variety of heritage seeds on hand already.

Bought cages for raising meat rabbits (the prepper guy who is supposed to help me get this up and running has been a bit elusive though)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
What make/model walkie-talkie?

"Add to food, ammo, training and medical supplies first."

Well underway on that.

Bought a three fuel generator this week (gasoline, propane, NG)

Bought walkie talkie recommended by Frankie for if/when the phones go down.

Food supply on hand est. 6-9 months so far.

Gardening underway.  Yesterday planted two fig trees, two raspberry bushes.  This week building garden boxes.  Have goodly supply of goodly variety of heritage seeds on hand already.

Bought cages for raising meat rabbits (the prepper guy who is supposed to help me get this up and running has been a bit elusive though)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
BTECH
UV-5X3

VHF, 1.25M, UHF Tri-Band FM Transceiver

www.baofengtech.com

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Greg Foss has been doing some serious writing on Bonds. TL;DR stay out of Bonds.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/markets/bitcoin-insurance-for-bond-risks-contagion

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Nik Bhatia writing on BTC...

"In bitcoin’s first year, barely anybody knew what it was. But by age 4, bitcoin had a massive underground popularity, hilariously and perfectly captured by the Reddit wizard drawing and moniker “magic internet money.” And that is exactly what it was. Bitcoin was internet money, and it was magical because it worked without any central issuer or company—something that had never existed before. It survived off an elegant set of rules and SHA256 encryption. It reached a market cap of $10 billion by 2013, purely by being magic internet money.

Bitcoin’s second price regime came after bitcoin didn’t die by 2015 following a massive 80% crash. It started receiving mainline attention, namely from CME and Fidelity, both which bet millions on R&D, convinced that bitcoin was indeed digital gold. This collective realization from the sophisticated investment universe can be thought of as the “5% probability that bitcoin will one day replace gold” era, allowing bitcoin to reach a market cap of over $300 billion.

The most recent price regime was the “post-pandemic, work-from-home, global digital economy, universal basic income” phase, in which bitcoin is settling in around the $1 trillion market cap. While the price swings have been large, bitcoin has consolidated around this impressive valuation for well over a year. The valuation is an acceptance that bitcoin is a mainstay in our society and will always have demand. During this phase, the “bitcoin is either going to $1 million or to $0” crowd ditched the mantra in realization it was likely to be the former.

I believe we are entering bitcoin’s next price regime, one that can be labeled “the risk models are broken” phase, in which bitcoin takes on an immediate strategic importance for institutions of all types around the world. This is the phase when countries, companies, and organizations political or geopolitical realize that a zero-bitcoin position is a strategic blind spot, one that must be covered with a purchase, or at the very minimum an investment in bitcoin education and infrastructure. Let’s look at where the price could go."

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Money, the Fed, Banking, Monetary Policy, New Dollar Inspires Confidence
« Reply #1889 on: March 23, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
New dollar inspires confidence, and makes all your old dollars obsolete. 

https://mcusercontent.com/dc8d30edd7976d2ddf9c2bf96/images/8e9d6365-272d-1809-4637-5726877cfd39.png
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:18:38 PM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
what would a stack of 1,000,000,000 bills look like?
« Reply #1890 on: March 23, 2022, 03:22:14 PM »
https://www.wired.com/2011/09/stacking-one-trillion-dollars/

1/4 of the way to the moon

just crazy the amounts of money they are throwing around

at this rate in 20 yrs it will take this amount to buy a tank of gas

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: what would a stack of 1,000,000,000 bills look like?
« Reply #1891 on: March 23, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »
20 years? Optimist!

https://www.wired.com/2011/09/stacking-one-trillion-dollars/

1/4 of the way to the moon

just crazy the amounts of money they are throwing around

at this rate in 20 yrs it will take this amount to buy a tank of gas

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Crypto is helping Ukraine
« Reply #1892 on: March 24, 2022, 04:11:19 AM »
How Cryptocurrency Is Helping Ukraine
It’s a godsend in a country that needs money and lacks functioning banks.
By Illia Polosukhin
March 23, 2022 6:42 pm ET

Critics have claimed that cryptocurrency will help Russia evade sanctions, or at best that it’s of no use to Ukrainians. In fact, it’s proving to be a powerful tool to help them.

I’ve worked in the blockchain industry for four years, and I’m Ukrainian. I grew up and attended university in Kharkiv, the second-largest city in Ukraine and one of the hardest-hit by Russian bombs. I’m one of several organizers of Unchain Fund, a crypto fundraising project dedicated to relief in Ukraine that has raised more than $6.9 million so far, as well as Away from Ukraine, an information network for displaced Ukrainians.

Crypto donations to Ukraine since the invasion total almost $100 million. Blockchain networks are global and settle transactions in minutes, while the legacy banking system takes three days to settle a cross-border transaction. Many crypto donations went directly to wallets held by the Ukrainian government via the Ministry of Digital Transformation. Deputy Minister Alex Bornyakov said last week that 40% of the vendors Kyiv is working with have accepted payment in cryptocurrency, and crypto donations have been “essential.” He noted that since “the national bank is not really operating, crypto is helping to perform fast transfers, to make it very quick and get results almost immediately.”

Crypto donations are also making a difference for Ukrainians, both in and out of the country. Ukraine’s banking system is hardly operating, but the major crypto exchanges are available 24/7 from a phone or computer.

Crypto-based collaborations like Unchain Fund and UkraineDAO (an abbreviation for decentralized autonomous organization) took shape in the first few days of the crisis. Unchain has raised more than $6.9 million in 10 cryptocurrencies since Feb. 25 for relocation support, transportation, food and medicine. Three million Ukrainians in other countries need money for housing, living costs, and psychological and professional support. Crypto has proved useful for displaced people, who need access to stable funds and the ability to convert crypto into fiat currency in a flexible way. We’re also distributing the Unchain Help Card, a crypto-to-consumer debit card, to help mothers with young children purchase supplies.

Now we’re turning to longer-term solutions. Groups like Away from Ukraine connect displaced Ukrainians to share support, news, work opportunities, resources on navigating immigration, medical care, and other challenges of living in a new country.

Empowering individuals and lowering barriers to access is a major part of why I co-founded NEAR Protocol and why I believe in crypto and Web3, the catchall term for the blockchain-based open internet. Our vision is to make it possible for all people to own their data, assets and power of governance. This war crystallizes why that vision is so important: The current global systems of power do not offer this opportunity to everyone, and they can collapse quickly under stress. We have the tools to build fairer, more resilient systems that work for everyone.

Mr. Polosukhin is a co-founder of NEAR Protocol and Unchain Fund.

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Hows everybody feeling...if you held BTC thro 32K :-)

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile

ya

• Power User
    • View Profile
Russian energy minister saying oil can be priced in gold or BTC. The beginning of the end....

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/russia-open-selling-natural-gas-bitcoin-gold
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 07:25:12 PM by ya »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Hows everybody feeling...if you held BTC thro 32K :-)"

I sold when in bottomed at 29+ K

just joshen

I still am holding

riches and financial liberty, or death!