Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 431006 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
Very good discussion going on here gentlemen.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/08/26/this-is-a-first-donald-trumps-response-to-glenns-interview-invitation/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:21:47 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »
DougMacG,

Yes, I am hard on the other mortals, but why should I not be? They are all professional politicians except for Carly and Carson. And look what professional politicians get us. Nothing good.

There is a deliberate GOPe strategy going on with this election. They are all in the tank for Bush and will do anything to get him elected, but they know that he is not well liked by the "commoners" in the party. So they have engaged in a deliberate strategy to get him nominated. That strategy involves getting enough candidates in the key states to dilute the vote against Bush so that no one will have a majority, and therefore the delegates go to Bush. And this plan was going to work except for one problem.......no one counted on Trump.

Now the GOPe is trying ways to stop Trump. One is in Virginia, North and South Carolina. The potential candidate must take a "loyalty oath" to not run as a third party if they lose, or they do not get on the primary ballot. Now, the RNC is talking about any candidate who does not win at least 8 primaries cannot be nominated at the Convention. What this does is ensure that if anyone not meeting this criteria but has won states, those delegates are now freed up to go where "they" want.

Now people are picking on Trump on the immigration plan. He cannot deport 11m people. Doesn't anyone realize that Trump is a "negotiator"? He throws this out, but you can bet he has "fall back" positions for when he wins. Never give out your bottom line position at this stage.

Kelo is an issue, but if eminent domain is available and there is benefit, why not?

FYI, I was originally completely against ED, but the housing crisis changed my opinion. In cities like Richmond CA, Camden NJ, and many others, there can be no housing recovery because the homes are underwater still and the people cannot afford the mortgages. Lenders are not working with the people. Why not use ED to take the homes, pay the Investors fair market value, and then get someone in to rework the loans for the people? It is possible and I know it is because I have been involved in discussions among a major investor who would rework the loans, a servicer willing to go along with it, and a local government ready to engage the ED. But guess what? The damned Congress and Obama enacted legislation that if a city did ED to help the crisis locally, the homes involved could never again be eligible for GSE or FHA funding. Wells Fargo and the other banks win again.

What Trump is doing is bringing all these issues to the light, but that is exactly what the GOPe and the Dems do not want. it threatens their own interests and that is heresy.

We are at a crossroads in the US. This election is likely the most critical election since 1860. The fate of the US hinges on it, but if we have a GOPe candidate, it matters not whether the new President and Congress is controlled by either party. They will all do the same as now. So we have to consider all alternatives.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
An idea for The Donald
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Here is a thought:

Donald should announce that if elected he contemplates making Ted Cruz the Attorney General, Ben Carson the Sec of HHS to handle health care, and Carly Fiorina to something that calls upon her considerable talents.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
CD,

What makes you think that he would not get the best for each area? That is what he says he would do, and I believe him there.

As another point to DMG,

People are looking at Trump not for his "detailed" positions, they are looking at him for a reason that escapes most. They are looking for leadership. For so long, we have had no leadership. Politicians have taken a position of getting along or or just acting, often out of spite. None show true leadership capabilities like Reagan, and even JFK for a period of time.

As well, I don't know how old you and others are, but there is something else going on that should be considered. For those who are old enough and worked though this period of time, go back to 1975 through 1980 and think of the economy and what we were go though. Some points about that time:

1. Ford presents his program for reducing inflation. WIN. Whip inflation now. A slogan which meant nothing. ( I don't remember the inflation rate, but it was poor.)

2. 1975 with Ford, the Tax Rebate of $200 (maybe $300 but my memory is not so good). I remember being in a meeting with Senator Tunney, Dem from CA. He was touting how great an idea this was. It would help the middle class. I got up and challenged him about it, stating that the money meant nothing. it would not help the middle class and it would only be spent on food or bills. Needless to say, he had no response. (His brother was the fighter. May he got it too many times fighting his brother and it addled his brains.)

3. 1973, Gas rationing. We had to buy gas on alternative days and you waited in line for an hour or more. If you ran out of gas on the no buy day, you were SOL.

4. Jimmy Carter, a President who had no leadership ability. Control freak who actually filled out the White House Tennis Court Usage schedule. He was voted in simply as a reaction to Nixon and an incompetent Ford who stated in a debate that Poland was not a satellite of the USSR.

5. Under Jimmy Carter, the Misery Index of 19.72%

6. The Iranian Hostage situation. 

(BTW, here is an interesting factoid. When the hostages were taken in Nov 2008, I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters. There, we had 67th Air Rescue which had evacuated US personnel from Iran in the year before. When the hostages were taken, my squadron was recalled for possible action in hostage recovery. At the same time, Airborne and other Army troops were in Germany for the Reforger exercises. We could have sent Airborne from Germany and our own squadron from Bentwaters with C 141 and C 130 aircraft, supported by 5 Bentwater A10 squadrons, F-15s out of Bitburg, F111s from Mildenhall and other support aircraft  to get the hostages within the first few days. Even in April of 1980, we could still have gone, but Carter wanted to use Navy choppers which it was well known would have had problems with the sand getting in their engines. But Carter did not have the guts to do what was needed.)

7. A National Election in 1980 where the GOP tried for the second time to keep Reagan from being the nominee. Instead, they want the Senior Bush to be the nominee. Yet the 'commoners" wanted Reagan.

The conditions of 1980 match what is occurring today in all too many ways. We have a populace looking for leadership and a bunch of politicians that offer no leadership. Even worse, they continuously ignore or insult those who disagree, calling us vulgar, low information votes, idiots, and who knows what else. They are the Elitists who know what is best for us and they are not to be challenged.

To hell with them all. As far as I am concerned, the professional politicians can go to hell. BURN IT DOWN!!!!!
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
"FYI, I was originally completely against ED, but the housing crisis changed my opinion. In cities like Richmond CA, Camden NJ, and many others, there can be no housing recovery because the homes are underwater still and the people cannot afford the mortgages. Lenders are not working with the people. Why not use ED to take the homes, pay the Investors fair market value, and then get someone in to rework the loans for the people? It is possible and I know it is because I have been involved in discussions among a major investor who would rework the loans, a servicer willing to go along with it, and a local government ready to engage the ED. But guess what? The damned Congress and Obama enacted legislation that if a city did ED to help the crisis locally, the homes involved could never again be eligible for GSE or FHA funding. Wells Fargo and the other banks win again."

Interesting take on this PP.  I can see why you like it but I see a few problems too. Some of this belongs in our housing/mortgage thread, but it ties back to Trump as well - by his choice.

a) I don't really see someone as a homeowner if they have zero equity or less.

b)  There is a difference between underwater and being delinquent or in default.  Underwater, I guess, is none of my business as long as they are making the required payments.  I think you deal with situations where they are not.

c)  The central problem with delinquent, underwater properties in default is that government rules make it difficult and sometimes impossible for a lender to take back a property.

d)  That the lender took a bad risk and made a bad loan and the property won't cover their costs is not my problem or concern.

e) A mortgage IS the right to take back a property in default.  If it can't be taken back in a reasonable time, process and cost, it is an unsecured loan.  When the collateral means nothing, that is when loans don't get made, hurting everyone.  Again, the rules of foreclosure are the problem, not market fluctuations or anything else.

f) Instead of fixing the central problem caused by government rules, we establish new government powers.

g) Assuming you cannot change the rules tying the hands of lenders to get back their rightful collateral and the strategy you suggest is perfectly executed, I can see how a bad situation is dealt with and resolved.

g)  On the flip side of giving government the power to take private property for private purposes without limits are all the moral hazards that come with that and eventually take down all great, centrally planned economies:

1.  With expanded government power comes expanded government corruption.  Without a doubt.
    2.  Large industrial and economic players can buy that power for their own benefit.  And they do.  The richest counties in the United States are mostly in the DC area.  Buying power isn't a small industry; it has become our largest industry.
    3.  Government officials can sell that power for their own benefit.
    4.  People without power get Trumped on, like of Suzette Kelo in New London, Vera Coking in Atlantic City, and Nancy MacGibbon in Minneapolis.
    5.  When victims of eminent domain get 'fair market value' for what is taken from them, they don't get fair market value.
    6.  And when government powers have no limit, well, we don't know and can't even imagine all of where that will lead...

Donald Trump is a great "negotiator", (he says). The victim examples listed above did not consent to entering into "negotiations with Trump or Trump-like entities.  Assuming they owned their property, paid their taxes, followed the laws, kept up their homes, paid their mortgages and all that, do they have a right of privacy?  Do they have a right to be left alone?  Are these rights what the constitution calls unenumerated rights that areprotected by the 9th amendment in the constitution?  Of course they are.  Is this a small matter?  No.

Now back to the 5th amendment:
" If such “economic development” takings are for a “public use,” any taking is, and the Court has erased the Public Use Clause from our Constitution, as Justice O’Connor powerfully argues in dissent. Ante, at 1—2, 8—13. I do not believe that this Court can eliminate liberties expressly enumerated in the Constitution "
    - Justice Clarence Thomas in dissent on Kelo

And if you feel the opposite, you believe the Court can eliminate liberties expressly protected in the constitution.  You are President Trump appointing judges who will do just that.

PP:  "Kelo is an issue, but if eminent domain is available and there is benefit, why not? "

I hope I have answered that.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
As another point to DMG,

People are looking at Trump not for his "detailed" positions, they are looking at him for a reason that escapes most. They are looking for leadership. For so long, we have had no leadership. Politicians have taken a position of getting along or or just acting, often out of spite. None show true leadership capabilities like Reagan, and even JFK for a period of time.

As well, I don't know how old you and others are, but there is something else going on that should be considered. For those who are old enough and worked though this period of time, go back to 1975 through 1980 and think of the economy and what we were go though. Some points about that time:

1. Ford presents his program for reducing inflation. WIN. Whip inflation now. A slogan which meant nothing. ( I don't remember the inflation rate, but it was poor.)

2. 1975 with Ford, the Tax Rebate of $200 (maybe $300 but my memory is not so good). I remember being in a meeting with Senator Tunney, Dem from CA. He was touting how great an idea this was. It would help the middle class. I got up and challenged him about it, stating that the money meant nothing. it would not help the middle class and it would only be spent on food or bills. Needless to say, he had no response. (His brother was the fighter. May he got it too many times fighting his brother and it addled his brains.)

3. 1973, Gas rationing. We had to buy gas on alternative days and you waited in line for an hour or more. If you ran out of gas on the no buy day, you were SOL.

4. Jimmy Carter, a President who had no leadership ability. Control freak who actually filled out the White House Tennis Court Usage schedule. He was voted in simply as a reaction to Nixon and an incompetent Ford who stated in a debate that Poland was not a satellite of the USSR.

5. Under Jimmy Carter, the Misery Index of 19.72%

6. The Iranian Hostage situation.  

(BTW, here is an interesting factoid. When the hostages were taken in Nov 2008, I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters. There, we had 67th Air Rescue which had evacuated US personnel from Iran in the year before. When the hostages were taken, my squadron was recalled for possible action in hostage recovery. At the same time, Airborne and other Army troops were in Germany for the Reforger exercises. We could have sent Airborne from Germany and our own squadron from Bentwaters with C 141 and C 130 aircraft, supported by 5 Bentwater A10 squadrons, F-15s out of Bitburg, F111s from Mildenhall and other support aircraft  to get the hostages within the first few days. Even in April of 1980, we could still have gone, but Carter wanted to use Navy choppers which it was well known would have had problems with the sand getting in their engines. But Carter did not have the guts to do what was needed.)

7. A National Election in 1980 where the GOP tried for the second time to keep Reagan from being the nominee. Instead, they want the Senior Bush to be the nominee. Yet the 'commoners" wanted Reagan.

The conditions of 1980 match what is occurring today in all too many ways. We have a populace looking for leadership and a bunch of politicians that offer no leadership. Even worse, they continuously ignore or insult those who disagree, calling us vulgar, low information votes, idiots, and who knows what else. They are the Elitists who know what is best for us and they are not to be challenged.

To hell with them all. As far as I am concerned, the professional politicians can go to hell. BURN IT DOWN!!!!!

59, and a student of economics in the 70s.

Yes, Whip Inflation Now was perhaps the most economically ignorant policy in history.  And the Price wage freeze concocted on Friday the 13th, Aug 1971 was perhaps the most damaging.  The inflation they couldn't control was 7%.  By the end of the decade it was 14%.  With Reagan and Paul Volcker they whipped unemployment and inflation almost simultaneously, proving almost everything Keynesian to be false.

That said, I don't like putting all elected politicians into one category.  Some have sold out and some haven't (yet).

The GOP establishment isn't is a formal club, just a concept.  There isn't anyone there big enough to pull any real strings.  If nothing else, Trump proved they aren't controlling this process.  Money has been irrelevant to the process so far too.  Money has nothing to do with Trump's success so far.

Hugh Hewitt said it straight up.  He would lead off every show with a Trump interview if he could.  It's good radio.  Rush has been all over the Trump story.  Hannity is a friend of Trump.  Mark Levin loves Trump's boldness on immigration.  None of them I think would choose him at voting time.  It's the story of the day and Trump is smarter than everyone thought.

Like GM said, Trump has balls, so to speak, and we need our candidate (of any gender) to have that.  But the details matter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:04:45 PM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2015, 05:47:03 AM »
"CD, What makes you think that he would not get the best for each area? That is what he says he would do, and I believe him there."

Forgive me, but that does not address my point-- which is the suggestion that Trump ANNOUNCE this NOW.  Reflect upon what the reaction to this might be in various quarters and amongst voters.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »
"Ted Cruz Attorney General, Ben Carson the Sec of HHS to handle health care, and Carly Fiorina to something that calls upon her considerable talents."

Let's assume that Trump makes an announcement like this today. What is the response?

1. Cruz, Carson and Fiorina all three denounce Trump and saying that they are running for President and not a Cabinet post.

2. The rest of the candidates and the GOPe all accuse Trump of trying to bribe his competition to not run any longer.

3. The media goes nuts, accepts the GOPe claims, and then jumps on Trump and his "Cabinet Choices", claiming that this would be harmful to liberals and minorities. The uproar would be more harmful than good.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:34 AM »
Disagree.

Of course the other candidates would say the predictable things, but I think the case would be this:

It shows Trump can work with others and underlines the depth of the Rep bench.  Those who like those candidates but wonder about their completeness to be president (and IMHO that is many people) may well come to feel that Trump isn't so bad after all.   

Cruz as AG would be a truly inspired choice , , ,  Imagine him handling the illegal alien, 14th Amendment issues for Rep candidate Trump, or Ben Carson handling Obamacare replacement and race issues, and Fiorina getting in a cat fight with Hillary or Buffoon Joe.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »
You are much more positive about things than I am. The GOPe and the Media are looking for anything to stop Trump and this would provide them much attention.

Now to go walk the dog. He needs to do a Bush and Hillary.
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »
I have heard but not yet verified that Trump speaks very highly of his sister who is both a federal judge and an aggro abortion supporter.

I wonder what kind of judges he would nominate for SCOTUS?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
Hints about his tax policy.  Lower taxes on middle class, simplify the code and raise it on the wealthy.   I am not for the latter part of this unless he means, and I think he does, raise their rates by reducing deductions.   Especially deductions the rest of us do not have.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/28/donald-trump-im-king-tax-code/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#!

Like I have posted on the board before neither party represents me - the Democrats or Republicans.  Trump comes the closest.  He is by reason of exclusion the top choice at this time for me.   With regards to leadership, salesmanship, showmanship, and strength, a giant among kids.  Sorry, but it is obvious.  That said his ego and mania is of major concern and frightening in many ways.

Also I wish Jindal would get more traction.   He represents America the beautiful.

I agree with PP about Bush.  The Bushes while wonderful people, seemingly honest, and great Americans have done quite a bit to hurt conservatism.   The father was never a conservative:   "voodoo economics".

And I am 58 and remember the 70's all too well.   I am sorry Carter has cancer but he was the worst President since Warren G Harding.

However that title now belongs to yours truly Barack Obama.

Carter can now think, "thank God for Obama".  I am off the bottom of the list.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
CD,

Here is one thing to consider about Trump revealing full details of programs.

If you are fighting against an opponent, are you going to reveal what moves you will make in detail so that your opponent can be prepared to counter?

If you are Eisenhower and prepping for D-Day, are you going to reveal that you are using Patton as a deception so that you can attack elsewhere?

You only provide enough details to win the nominee. Too reveal too much opens you to more aggressive attacks.
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
OTOH "Trust me, I'm rich, I know how to get things done" is not too different from "Hope and Change".

Looks like he is beginning to flesh things out.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
DMG,

My replies to you.  

a) I don't really see someone as a homeowner if they have zero equity or less.   Equity levels change as values change. In 2006, everyone who had bought the year before had over 15% equity, even if they used a 100% loan to value. So zero equity could be simply a "temporary" condition. (Of course, that does not address risk level.)

b)  There is a difference between underwater and being delinquent or in default.  Underwater, I guess, is none of my business as long as they are making the required payments.  I think you deal with situations where they are not. Herein is the problem with that. Underwater "begs" delinquency. At 140% LTV, strategic defaults come into play. At 120% LTV borrowers who are financially stressed behave differently and will make mortgage payments based upon the perceived future. For example, prior to the Crisis, borrowers made sure to pay the mortgage first and let other debt go delinquent. Once the Crisis hit, borrowers began to pay the other debt and to let the mortgages go delinquent, especially if Negative Equity existed.

c)  The central problem with delinquent, underwater properties in default is that government rules make it difficult and sometimes impossible for a lender to take back a property. This is actually not true. HAMP and other programs did delay the foreclosure process timeline, but all one needed was a Negative NPV Test result, and the foreclosure could continue. In reality, for the servicers, delaying foreclosure was profitable compared to foreclosing. As well, the terms of Trusts and even the GSEs caused delays, not government regulations.

d)  That the lender took a bad risk and made a bad loan and the property won't cover their costs is not my problem or concern. But there is another problem with this statement. In most cases, it was government programs designed to encourage housing that caused a large part of the problem. Granted, by 2005, things had gotten totally out of hand, but if lenders did not make loans to sub standard borrowers, there could be liability from Government Regulatory actions like discrimination and disparate impact. So it is not a yes/no decision.

e) A mortgage IS the right to take back a property in default.  If it can't be taken back in a reasonable time, process and cost, it is an unsecured loan.  When the collateral means nothing, that is when loans don't get made, hurting everyone.  Again, the rules of foreclosure are the problem, not market fluctuations or anything else. Not true. The loan is not unsecured at that point. Losses are incurred, but there is still recovery of funds no matter how long the foreclosure action has gone on. So it is not unsecured. (Courts have not ruled on that except in the case of 2nd mortgages, and there are now cases overturning that argument in the BK courts.) As to your when the "collateral means nothing" statement, you are making the assumption that collateral has no value based upon your preceding statement. But loans don't get made if there is no collateral. So how can people otherwise be "hurt"?

f) Instead of fixing the central problem caused by government rules, we establish new government powers. Agreed. Dodd Frank needs to be revamped or repealed and the CFPB disbanded.

g) Assuming you cannot change the rules tying the hands of lenders to get back their rightful collateral and the strategy you suggest is perfectly executed, I can see how a bad situation is dealt with and resolved. I will cover this and the rest below.

g)  On the flip side of giving government the power to take private property for private purposes without limits are all the moral hazards that come with that and eventually take down all great, centrally planned economies:

1.  With expanded government power comes expanded government corruption.  Without a doubt.
    2.  Large industrial and economic players can buy that power for their own benefit.  And they do.  The richest counties in the United States are mostly in the DC area.  Buying power isn't a small industry; it has become our largest industry.
    3.  Government officials can sell that power for their own benefit.
    4.  People without power get Trumped on, like of Suzette Kelo in New London, Vera Coking in Atlantic City, and Nancy MacGibbon in Minneapolis.
    5.  When victims of eminent domain get 'fair market value' for what is taken from them, they don't get fair market value.
    6.  And when government powers have no limit, well, we don't know and can't even imagine all of where that will lead...

Donald Trump is a great "negotiator", (he says). The victim examples listed above did not consent to entering into "negotiations with Trump or Trump-like entities.  Assuming they owned their property, paid their taxes, followed the laws, kept up their homes, paid their mortgages and all that, do they have a right of privacy?  Do they have a right to be left alone?  Are these rights what the constitution calls unenumerated rights that areprotected by the 9th amendment in the constitution?  Of course they are.  Is this a small matter?  No.

Now back to the 5th amendment:
" If such “economic development” takings are for a “public use,” any taking is, and the Court has erased the Public Use Clause from our Constitution, as Justice O’Connor powerfully argues in dissent. Ante, at 1—2, 8—13. I do not believe that this Court can eliminate liberties expressly enumerated in the Constitution "
    - Justice Clarence Thomas in dissent on Kelo

And if you feel the opposite, you believe the Court can eliminate liberties expressly protected in the constitution.  You are President Trump appointing judges who will do just that.

Each case must be examined and determined upon the merits of the claim. There is no one rule of law that can cover every situation. (I have not read the cased of ED that you cite in depth, so I don't have an opinion on them specifically.)

As to Richmond, I do have specific knowledge of this.

When I first heard about ED and Richmond, I was viscerally opposed to the idea. I was astounded by the claim like you are with ED. But that did not last.

On a Saturday morning about two years ago, Martin Andelman of Mandelman Matters and I had a long phone conversation. He wanted to discuss ED and Richmond with me.  He supported the concept and I was totally against it. Towards the end, I agreed to look at the issue closely.

Since I lived about 40 miles away, I took a drive to Richmond, going into the different areas where ED was being considered. As I looked around, while literallly in fear for my life, I saw how the Crisis had totally destroyed the city in many ways.  After this look, I began to really consider alternatives.

Richmond, which has always been a "hellhole", was even worse then. Incredibly high unemployment, 20% of homes were vacant and awaiting foreclosure. Home values dropped to under $200k and often $120k, 65% of the city was severely underwater. Gangs everywhere. The common person could not leave. Heavy delinquency on loans about 25%. Anything that a person could conceive, was happening in Richmond. (Camden NJ and other cities also.)

I began to run financial and default algorithms to see how bad it really was. The results were stunning:

Essentially, all of the vacant homes were "gone". A foreclosure on the property, considering what was needed to bring the home back to livable status and to sell afterwards meant that there would be very little "recovery" of funds. In most cases, the loss on the loans would be greater than 75%, yet the servicers would not modify the loan. The loans in delinquency and default were in the same situation. Losses were such that an investor would lose the majority of money invested and would recover little.

I then ran the numbers based upon ED and paying 80% fair Market Value to the Investor. (The rest would be for new loan costs, commissions, and 5% equity to the homeowner.) In every case, the Investor would recover more money than what would be achieved through foreclosure. Plus they would not have to try and find buyers for homes in a "dangerous" area.

An additional advantage for the Investor was he was now out from under a loan in a bad area. This was something that could not even be accomplished with a modification,  so for the Investor, all would be great.

The new Investor would be taking a loan whereby they knew all the risks. It would be fully disclosed, and the loan would be underwritten to a strong standard with the homeowner having a true ability to repay the loan. Both would benefit greatly.

The city then would benefit from a cleaning up of the foreclosure crisis. Tax bases would increase. Crime would decrease. city costs would decrease from the associated problems. Businesses and employment could even increase.

This was a win-win situation for all. But the Big Banks, the Mortgage Banker Association and other groups wanted nothing to do with it. They feared that it would trickle down to other cities, even ones that did not have all the problems of Richmond. (There were reasons for why this would not happen.) So they go to Congress and get legislation enacted to prevent ED in Richmond and other cities.

What I am trying to present is that every case of ED is specific to the facts and must be viewed in that manner. Yes, there is a chance of government going too far, but with a legitimate government, this can be countered if the government is not "bought and paid for" by lobbyists.

Trump admits to "using" government programs and laws to benefit himself. If it is legal, why not if the facts of the case show a clear benefit to the community of the action? If it is just about "greed", then that is different. But the difference is that Trump admits that he does this, but he also realizes that there are ways to prevent the abuses.

FYI, in 1964, I lived in San Bernardino. I remember the home we lived in and thousands other being taken under ED for a freeway to be built. Probably Fair Market Value was paid. The new freeway did serve a great benefit to the city and economic conditions. Yet today, it would be fought to the bitter end.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
Too bad he didn't mention all her close family members who are part of Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood, but pretty funny nonetheless:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-takes-aim-huma-abedin-perv-anthony-weiner-n418116?cid=sm_tw&hootPostID=c265eaee0df9ecf8638ec10a5c39c090

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:41 AM »
CD,

That was dated Jul 30, 2015.  Since I have seen nothing else on it, how accurate is it?  I would think that both side would be discussing it.

That said, Trey Gowdy would be a great pick. it would send fear to crooked politicians and lobbyists everywhere.
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
Oh.   :oops:  Good eye-- thanks for the back up.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
REality Check Gents
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
Does it matter to Trump fans that their man was a pretty big cheerleader for the stimulus, bailouts, and limiting executive pay? Here he is back in February 2009:
Larry King: Is Obama right or wrong to go after these executives with salary caps?

Donald Trump: Well, I think he’s absolutely right. Billions of dollars is being given to banks and others. You know, once you start using taxpayer money, it’s a whole new game. So I absolutely think he’s right.

King: What about the whole concept of bailouts?

Trump: Well, it’s a little bit different. A lot of people are not in favor of bailouts. You know, we talked about all the different things going on in this country. Let’s face it, Larry, we are in a depression. If they didn’t do the bailout, you would be in depression No. 2 and maybe just as big as depression No. 1, so they really had to do something. The problem is they’re giving millions and billions of dollars to banks and the banks aren’t loaning it . . .

King: If you were in the Senate, would you vote for the stimulus plan?

Trump: Well, I’d vote for a stimulus plan. I’m not sure that all of the things in there are appropriate. Some of the little toys that they have are not really appropriate, and they’re a little surprising that they seem to want it, because the publicity on it has been terrible.

And then he said to Greta Van Susteren, after the president made the pitch for his plan, “This is a strong guy, knows what he wants, and this is what we need.”
He sounded pretty amenable to the final package when talking to Neil Cavuto . . .

CAVUTO: Are you for this Obama stimulus that was signed into law today?

TRUMP: Well, something had to be done. And whether it’s perfect or not, nothing is perfect. And it’s a whole trial-and-error thing, Neil.

Talking to Wolf Blitzer, Trump contended it was too small.

BLITZER: What about the president of the United States? How is he doing?

TRUMP: Well, he’s having a little bit of a tough time. I have great respect for him. And I love the way he ran the campaign. He’s having a few stumbles now and then. But I think he’s going to be really terrific. I certainly hope he’s going to be great. And I think he will be.

BLITZER: And you like this economic stimulus package? The banking package? The home foreclosure package? God knows, there’s so many economic issues out there.
TRUMP: Wolf, it’s a step. And it’s a big step. But relatively speaking, it’s not very much money when you look at the overall economy. But it is something he inherited, a total mess from Bush. And you know, we have to remember, he didn’t cause this problem. He’s trying to fix the problem. It’s not going to be easy. It’s very deep seeded, and it’s even beyond this country.

Do we not care about this stuff anymore? How does the guy who allegedly represents fury with business and economic elites get to endorse TARP? Why do the other guys’ deviations from conservative orthodoxy disqualify them, but Trump gets a pass?

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
CD,

About TARP, I supported it with all its fails, and I will still defend the need for it at the time. Here is why:

1. When Lehman failed in Sep 2008, the world was at the brink financially. Bear Sterns had caused major problems in Mar 2008, but it was nothing compared to Lehman.

2. At the same time as Lehman, the GSEs were collapsing. Merril Lynch was in trouble, facing collapse. Indymac failed in the summer of 08 annd taken over by the FDIC. There were no buyers for it. Wachovia/World was collapsing and would go. Deutsche Bank was in serious trouble. Many Wall Street owned Mortgage Bankers had already collapsed. Washington Mutual was failing. This list goes on and on.

3. Financially, all the banks were insolvent. They would collapse if nothing was done.  (FYI, I have confirmed this time and again with discussions with major bank officers, but all conversations must remain confidential otherwise.)

4. The FDIC had only $25b available to prop up failing banks covered by them. This would have been used up by one or two failures. The Treasury covered the Top 5 banks, but it would have had to spend $100's of billions in propping them up. Citibank, which was the worst of the Top 5, would have consumer $100b plus immediately.

People argue that the banks should have been allowed to fail and that things would work out, but this is just not true. What would have happened:

1. All credit would have (and most did) dry up. Major corporations that depend upon credit lines and other financial instruments to keep liquid on a daily basis would have failed within two weeks. Say goodbye to those companies and hello to major unemployment.

2. Mom and pop businesses would have collapsed due to liquidity issues caused by the major bank failures, and the drying up of credit lines.

3. The FDIC Insurance only covered $25k in different accounts so above this, the money is "gone". Both small business and personal accounts would be subject to severe losses.

Unlike in the 1920's, the US is no longer a rural society where the populace is stretched across large swatches of land. Nor are there local farms everywhere capable of supplying food sources in times of emergency. Imagine what would have happened if money had dried up, employment lost, food distribution services broken down due to the financial collapse and all the other issues. The food riots alone would be fearful, especially in the large cities. (Just imagine an EMP Pulse hitting the US across the country and what would happen.)

This is the scenario that the Treasury and the Government and Fed feared would happen if action had not been taken. Did they dare take the risk? No.  TARP, for all its faults, was designed primarily to ensure that a complete financial collapse did not occur. It would pump liquidity into the economy while more importantly it would install "confidence" in the ability of the financial community to ride out the storm. (This was also what QE was about, saving the banks by various financial manipulations, including buying toxic assets on the bank's books. Then QE evolved to other things as well.)

One cannot believe how close we did come to a complete financial collapse. People have already forgotten what occurred and the severity of the collapse. Yet, this is still the same scenario that we face today. Whether it begins from China, Germany (a strong possibility with the financial status of Deutsche Bank) or in the US, the financial system is still in the same shape.

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
Pat:

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.  I am on my way out the door for several hours of training and do not have the time for a thoughtful reply on this point.

That said, there are MANY other points on which Trump has said and done things that normally we would find utterly disqualifying.   We may like much of what the man says now, but will he still say it tomorrow?

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
CD,

Such could have been said about Reagan also.

BTW, just had a phone call from the RNC seeking money. Went like this.

RNC: "Hi, Reince Priebus the head of the RNC asked me to personally give you a call. He is counting on your support to win the election in 2016."

Me: "Supporting Rep candidates like Bush, Boenher, McConnell and others?

RNC: Absolutely! Can we count on your support and a donation?

Me: Why would I do that? We have had enough Bushes, and Boenher and McConnell act like neutered pigs.

RNC: They are doing what they can to support Conservative values?

Me:  Amnesty, opposing border fences, Common Core, increasing Big Government, Not opposing Obamacare, giving in to Dem positions, Corker giving in the the Iran Agreement, why would I want to support that?

RNC: We need more Conservatives elected to help them, and to get a Republican President to move forward........

Me: Like McCain, Romney, and I am expected to support another loser like Bush, Rubio or Christie? I will give any donations directly to a candidate that I like. In this case, it will be Trump.  He speaks to issues that need to be addressed, and not by phonies like Bush.

And, if the GOP and RNC push Bush on me as the nominee, I will not vote, nor will my family. We will not accept Bush.

RNC: But Hillary could be President.....

Me: So what? You are all the same. It is all about power and money. They don't care about me.............

RNC: Hang up............

PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
Heh heh.  I have had similar phone calls too.

==========
Perhaps the biggest flaw in Trump in my eyes is his failure to rule out a third party run which would be almost a guarantee that the Dems win.  He thinks more of himself than America.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »
Trump isn't Reagan. Trump isn't anyone I would normally vote for. These are not normal times.

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
At this point, I don't really care about the 3rd Party run.  I am not going to vote for Bush, Rubio or any of the others outside of Cruz or Carson. If Bush or the others are pushed down my throat, it doesn't matter because the results will be the same as if Hillary were the President.

We have a uni-party system and I am not going to support it.

BTW, Carly is immigrating supporting, man made global warming believer, and closet big government. I will not support her either.

LET IT BURN or BURN THE GOPe DOWN
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, shortest books
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »
"Trump isn't Reagan..."

We won't need a full thread for Reagan - Trump similarities?   :wink:

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, shortest books
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
"Trump isn't Reagan..."

We won't need a full thread for Reagan - Trump similarities?   :wink:

Lol

Even Reagan's hair was better  and more realistic .

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
But Trump's wife is better looking........with clothes and without!!!
PPulatie

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
No argument there!

Question:  Was their marriage an anchor for her to get into the US?  :lol:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Trump and Al Sharpton
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
Melania became naturalized in 2006, one year after getting married to Donald. She was a European super model.

PPulatie

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »
Melania became naturalized in 2006, one year after getting married to Donald. She was a European super model.

Trump's future wives are genetically engineered and being grown in a vat as we speak.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
I can believe it Pat.  She's pretty spectacular.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, a picture is worth a thousand words
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
But Trump's wife is better looking........with clothes and without!!!

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

Well, our current first lady has a distinctive sense of style.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
Uhhh , , , careful there please.  That could be taken amiss , , ,

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's (un)popularity
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2015, 07:10:52 AM »
PP'S like of Donald Trump has added some energy to the forum.  Trump leads national pols by a huge margin.  His staying power has been much greater than other early leaders in the recent past, Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, etc.  He comes through with a seemingly clear voice in a crowded, muddy field.  Yet it is still summer and pre-Labor Day - of a non-election year.  The Trump phenomenon makes everyone wonder, can he actually pull it off, and if not, why not?

Without a doubt he has massive strengths.   But I see three areas of trouble for Trump:

1) Unfavorability = Unelectability.  Latest poll:  37 favorable, 59% unfavorable.  That drops to 17 - 79% for non-whites.  Unlike pp, primary voters are going to switch at some point to the candidate they think can win.  Republicans have let us down hugely, but the two parties are not the same.  A Rubio Presidency is not the same as another Obama - Bernie Sanders-like administratiopn.

2)  Vagueness.  He speaks with clarity but rides on a level of vagueness that will likely get flushed out in the campaign.  Obama got away with letting voters fill in the missing colors to fit their own vision; I don't think Trump will.  I see his Republican popularity dropping in half based on purity requirements of the Republican primary voter. 

3)  Past statements and new ones.  A certain amount of what Trump has said, he can explain away or pull off.  And there are some out there that get him.

If a combination of those 3 should get him down a little, downward movement has an unstoppable momentum.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
"That drops to 17 - 79% for non-whites"

Unfortunately that is the number for all Republicans not just Trump.

I have come to the conclusion for Asians who vote predominately Democratic it is ALL about race for them. 

For other minorities that is a huge factor but I suspect government benefits are the biggest factor.

Bush thinks "love" is going to change this.  Perhaps he has concluded it is too late to stand up to the Democrat Party focus on identity politics and vote buying.

He may be right.  I agree with Levin that we have to take a stand.  And probably a 'last' stand.

I dunno.   Doug what do you think? 

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »
DMG,

You are working from old data.  (Yes, I am a shit disturber.)

1. Trump's Unfavorable Ratings have fallen tremendously from the 59%. They are down to about 33% and in some polls, even lower. In fact, Pollsters are now saying that they have never seen a person turn around unfavorable ratings in one month like Trump has.

2. Vagueness?  Like Bush? Rubio?  And Purity?  Seems that Purity did not stop the GOPe from having Romney or McCain. And the Purists stayed home with them. Now, we are seeing such dissatisfaction that Trump is actually pulling in Dem's, and he is doing good with "legal" hispanics. And, he does not have to speak Spanish to potential voters, pandering to them like Bush.

The vagueness issue is a tactic to stop Trump. If he gives details, then the left and GOP will want more details. As he gives more details, it is not enough. They will keep going until they have enough to derail Trump, but they will not do the same with other candidates.

Would Sun Tzu reveal details? This is war and one does not give up the strategy for others to develop counter measures at this stage.

3. Past Statement may be an issue with some people. But there is a "change" in the public's perception of politics. They have had it with tradition and are electing to go in another direction. That direction is to throw out conventional politics and look for someone new, refreshing, and won't take the b.s. commonly thrown at them. Will it work? It remains to be seen. But since both the media and the traditional politicians are riled up and in fear of Trump, that alone is good.

Seems so far that everything thrown at Trump causes him to go up, and not down. Latest poll shows him at 37% nationally.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/09/01/new-national-poll-donald-trump-37-bush-and-carson-9-full-poll-data-pdf/

PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
CCP,

I agree with you and Levin. Time to take a stand.

My own belief is that this is the "last stand" for the US as we know it. If we don't start with change in the next election, it is over.

1. We have a uni-party, bought and paid for by crony capitalists and by special interest groups. There is no concern for the common person. Instead, the concern is about retaining power and money.

2. We are in the midst of a race war that is just beginning. It will get worse unless action is taken. But so far, neither party is willing to act. In fact, both the RNC and Dems are meeting with Black Lives Matter to come to some accord. And the Dems are giving in to them. 

3. Illegal Immigration is a real crisis, not just here but in Europe. Today's pattern of immigration and the lack of assimulation into society and instead holding onto old beliefs only serve to weaken the host country, eventually destroying the "bonds that tie" and then balkanism takes place. (Just watch the immigration protests. A sea of Mexican flags, and no US flags.)

4. Illegal Immigration leads to No Borders, which will ultimately lead to consolidation of Countries into "continental" entities. Think the EEU.  (And as we now see, the backlash to the EEU and immigration is leading to major issues.

5. Unsupportable economic and social policies that if not stopped will only lead to financial ruin. (Probably already here.)
PPulatie

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »
"Illegal Immigration leads to No Borders, which will ultimately lead to consolidation of Countries into "continental" entities. Think the EEU.  (And as we now see, the backlash to the EEU and immigration is leading to major issues."

Well the goal of the liberals and Obama isn't continental entities but *one* world government.  I realized this listening to the Columbia Professor give his speech at a graduation event I think in 2007.   

One must keep this in mind as we see the gradual giving away our sovereignty to the world by Bamster.  Opening up the borders and simply not enforcing the law just accelerates this of course as we all know.

Reading some stories in Scientific American celebrating the 50th anniversary of his publication of his general theory of relativity I learned that Eintsein was for a single world governing body.  :cry:  Other than that I am mostly a fan of his.

The minorities cannot see the forest for the trees I guess.  Sell out the country for some temporary chump change. 

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
Back in the mid 70's, I remember writing a paper in college that discussed how to implement global government. It postulated that to achieve global government, the first objective would be to "consolidate" nation states into one by continent. The Northern Hemisphere State would be Canada, US, Mexico and the numerous small Central American countries. Southern Hemisphere would be all the remainder states. This would spread to each continent.

When the EEU was created and in 2001, entry controls between states essentially eliminated, I remembered what I had written. Little did I expect when writing it that it would ever come to be. Now, I see it happening in real time.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
DMG,

This may have been the most recent poll that you cite on Trump Unfavorability.  This poll is substantially different from what other Polls are reporting. The question that comes to mind is which polls are outliers, or else manipulated.   

http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1144a51ClintonTrumpBushBiden.pdf

This poll offers a different perspective.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/09/01/new-national-poll-donald-trump-37-bush-and-carson-9-full-poll-data-pdf/

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NH_82515.pdf

The polls are all over the place and much depends upon the poll bias.
PPulatie

ppulatie

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
Okay, time for everyone to get serious about Donald. Here is the Washington Post really destroying the candidacy of Trump.  He cheats at golf. Takes mulligans, giveme's, improves the lie in a divot.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/does-donald-trump-cheat-at-golf-a-washington-post-investigation/2015/09/02/f8a940b2-50c4-11e5-9812-92d5948a40f8_story.html

Far as I know, everyone does that except the pros in a tournament.
PPulatie

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
"He cheats at golf. Takes mulligans, giveme's, improves the lie in a divot......."

My turn to defend Mr. Trump.  He does own the course and it's not a USGA event - so the rules that apply are Trump-rules.

Some followup points:
1.  No intent to choose an outlier poll.  I offer all of this early prognostication with a wait and see premise.  It was just a poll that happened to catch my notice this morning - ABC News via a link from Real Clear Politics with a headline, "Trump Polarization Grows": http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/clinton-water-trump-polarization-grows-poll/story?id=33461702  Dated today, Sept 2, 2015.  (I meant to include the link in the post, sorry.)

2.  By vagueness, I'm not blaming him, really I'm credited him for successfully getting a divergent range of political views to support him based mostly on his get-things-done personality.  What I'm saying is that IF his support begins to fall off, a reason will be that as he gets pinned down on specifics, people will find he's not the best fit for their views.  For example, your point in this thread about crony capitalism.  ("We have a uni-party, bought and paid for by crony capitalists and by special interest groups. There is no concern for the common person. Instead, the concern is about retaining power and money.")  He IS a Crony Capitalist by profession and by admission and tromp all over the common person is what he did.  Like Romney and Romneycare, it takes away from the ability to win that case against the Clintons.  Clintons sold influence.  Trump bought influence.  All other things equal, someone a little cleaner can make that case better.  Trump has a tax plan coming out in a few weeks.  Those who wanted Fair tax won't like a flat tax and those who wanted a flat tax won't like graduated rates, and so on.  Generalities work better for as long as you can get away with them. That part of the campaign is likely coming to an end. Others like Cruz don't lose on specifics because they are already out there on most of it.

This will be interesting to watch...

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump - and the conservative media
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »
From Presidential, 2016: 
The WSJ has made it clear that it despises Trump, for various reasons...

Interestingly, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, the two top radio shows have had non-stop favorable coverage of Trump during this frontrunner period of his.  Hannity works in NY and openly considers Trump to be a friend of his.  Rush admitted something like that today, that he knows him well and has been hosted many times for golf by Trump (a 6 handicap).  Rush said Trump uses his same style of bragging while golfing and it's all received in good fun.  Both like him for his ability to stand up to anyone.  Neither has endorsed him though it sounds like they do as they keep defending him.

Hugh Hewitt has been doing that too but came at it from a different angle.  On Meet the Press, Hewitt was asked if Trump had the temperament to be President and Hewitt said no.  Since he is impartial on his show and a questioner in the next debate, he has awkwardly backtracked on that and gives Trump as much air time and fair questions as he wants.  The backtrack was that Trump has a different temperament than we have seen in our Presidents, not a disqualifying one.  Now they are great, over-ther-radio, friends.

As specifics and differences emerge, some influential conservatives may not defend Trump as much as they are now.  MHO