Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 427532 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
President Trump
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
I know there will be some humorous banter about my opening this thread, especially after what I said yesterday, but I must say I was rather impressed with DT on the Sean Hannity show this evening.

The whole hour was dedicated to the interview with him.

Example:  
QUESTION What about ISIS?

ANSWER:  A big part of what makes them effective is they have a lot of money, in great part because of the oil they seized.  Solution?  Bomb the oil fields.   This cuts off their money, and after ISIS falls the oil capabilities can be rebuilt.

My initial reaction to this is a) that is a good insight about the money b) the solution is simple and politically and militarily rather straightforward c) excellent prospects for attitude adjustment around the region and the world.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:47:59 PM by Crafty_Dog »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »
His hair is more authentic than Elizabeth Warren's Native American ancestry.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
on the one hand:  http://13cgunreviews.com/

on the other hand, apparently he is against "assault weapons" and wants longer waiting period.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »
Trump and I have a few things in common. One thing is neither one of us will ever be president.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »
Apparently he let some woman touch his hair today to verify it was not a toupe (sp?)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
The ugly tone to his comments about Mexico and Mexicans in his announcement speech will not be forgotten.  If Trump does well, the Reps can kill the Latino vote goodbye forever.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Dana Perrino on her period
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 08:47:49 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
The ugly tone to his comments about Mexico and Mexicans in his announcement speech will not be forgotten.  If Trump does well, the Reps can kill the Latino vote goodbye forever.

The illegal alien vote is already rock solid dem.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »
A retort not without wit, but the issue remains.  The Latino demographic is growing and the current Rep demographic is declining.

We lost the Latino vote here in CA by passing Prop 187 (for the record I voted for it) and now we are a one party state.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:47 AM »
So voting for open border chaos on a national level will do what for this country? The same great things it's done for California?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
Not only is he wrong to call them all criminals

Trump makes a huge mistake about speaking of the "Mexicans".   Many Republicans do the same thing when they speak of Mexicans.  It is about all illegals immigrants where ever they are from.  South Central American, Caribbean, Africa, Europe (50K Irish here illegally one est. in NYC alone), Asia.

The debate need not focus on the *Spanish* speaking ones (though they are the majority).

That would IMO be a good Republican counter to Trump.

BTW Michael Savage just called Trump the "great white hope".   Wow.  Huge mistake.  That gives the left much fodder.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »
The vast majority of illegal aliens in the U.S. are from Mexico.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
According to this article it is 52%.   My point is if we keep talking Mexicans we sound like we are picking on them.  Why not speak about anyone from anywhere who  doesn't belong here?   I think this will divert this from being an "hispanic" issue somewhat.   If we were on the border with India or Indonesia or Ghana most of the illegals would be them. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/11/21/7-charts-that-explain-the-undocumented-immigrant-population/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »
How is a demand to enforce the laws of this nation "picking" on someone?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
Look, everyone here is for strong and decisive enforcement of our border and our laws, so to criticize Trump is not to criticize that.

Go back to Trump's announcement speech and listen to the passage where he speaks about Mexico and the people who come here from there.  It made me cringe.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »
Everything about Trump is cringeworthy. He isn't any kind of leader I am interested in, but I am beyond tired of letting the left enforce newspeak on us.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 01:26:36 PM »
His points about Mexico are not wrong but made very crassly.  If only he were more careful about singling out and categorizing Mexicans the way he did he might score more points.   

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Welcome Donald Trump
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
His points about Mexico are not wrong but made very crassly.  If only he were more careful about singling out and categorizing Mexicans the way he did he might score more points.   

That's right, it was inartful, as they say.  Indelicate.  Within the flood of millions still coming in unchecked are rapists and thieves, etc., even Middle Est terrorists.  That's unacceptable and it will stop immediately after inauguration, he could have said, and not impugn the others for lawbreaking other than coming here illegally.

Maybe it's good that Trump is soaring early in the polls (farther to fall).  He will therefore be on the debate stage until he does fall.  I don't get his popularity, didn't watch any more than a highlight of his show and I hold a personal grudge against because I once paid real money to buy his book, 'how great I am / art of the deal'.  But if he has low information segment appeal, he may draw viewers to the debates, and that is good.  Also good that he is running within the party, not as a 3rd party candidate.  They should all make that promise in order to appear in a GOP debate.  Let whoever should look responsible and Presidential on the stage do so.

Maybe a serious candidate like Carly Fiorina or Bobby Jindal will get left out while Trump takes a seat.  Let them make that case and earn their way in. 

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ann Coulter: Donald Trump is Right...
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
MEDIA HIDE FACTS, CALL EVERYONE ELSE A LIAR

July 1, 2015 - www.anncoulter.com

When Donald Trump said something not exuberantly enthusiastic about Mexican immigrants, the media's response was to boycott him. One thing they didn't do was produce any facts showing he was wrong.

Trump said: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

The first thing a fact-checker would have noticed is: THE GOVERNMENT WON'T TELL US HOW MANY IMMIGRANTS ARE COMMITTING CRIMES IN AMERICA.

Wouldn't that make any person of average intelligence suspicious? Not our media. They're in on the cover-up.

A curious media might also wonder why any immigrants are committing crimes in America. A nation's immigration policy, like any other government policy, ought to be used to help the people already here -- including the immigrants, incidentally.

It's bad enough that immigrants, both legal and illegal, are accessing government benefits at far above the native rate, but why would any country be taking another country's criminals? We have our own criminals! No one asked for more.

Instead of counting the immigrant stock filling up our prisons, the government issues a series of comical reports claiming to tally immigrant crime. The Department of Justice relies on immigrants' self-reports of their citizenship. The U.S. census simply guesses the immigration status of inmates. The Government Accounting Office conducts its own analysis of Bureau of Prisons data.

In other words, the government hasn't the first idea how many prisoners are legal immigrants, illegal immigrants or anchor babies.

But there are clues! Only about a quarter of California inmates are white, according to a major investigative piece in The Atlantic last year -- and that includes criminals convicted in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, when the vast majority of California's population was either black or white.

Do immigration enthusiasts imagine that more than 75 percent of the recent convicts are African-American? Blacks have high crime rates, but they make up only about 6 percent of California's entire population.

A casual perusal of the "Most Wanted" lists also suggests that the government may not have our best interests in mind when deciding who gets to live in America.

Here is the Los Angeles Police Department's list of "Most Wanted" criminal suspects:

-- Jesse Enrique Monarrez (murder),

-- Cesar Augusto Nistal (child molestation),

-- Jose A. Padilla (murder),

-- Demecio Carlos Perez (murder),

-- Ramon Reyes, (robbery and murder),

-- Victor Vargas (murder),

-- Ruben Villa (murder)

The full "Most Wanted" list doesn't get any better.

There aren't a lot of Mexicans in New York state -- half of all Mexican immigrants in the U.S. live in either Texas or California -- and yet there are more Mexican prisoners in New York than there are inmates from all of Western Europe.

As for the crime of rape specifically, different groups have different criminal proclivities, but no one takes a backseat to Hispanics in terms of sex crimes.

The rate of rape in Mexico is even higher than in India, according to Professor Carlos Javier Echarri Canovas of El Colegio de Mexico. A report from the Inter-American Children's Institute explains that in Latin America, women and children are "seen as objects instead of human beings with rights and freedoms."

All peasant cultures have non-progressive views on women, but Latin America happens to have the peasant culture that's closest to the United States.

The only reason our newspapers aren't chockablock with reports of Latino sexual predators is that they are too busy broadcasting hoax news stories about non-existent gang-rapes by white men: the Duke lacrosse team (Crystal Gail Mangum), University of Virginia fraternity members (Jackie Coakley) and military contractors in Iraq (Jamie Leigh Jones).

In fact, the main way we find out about Hispanic rapists is when the media report on dead or missing girls -- hoping against hope that the case will never be solved or the perp will look like the rapists on "Law and Order." When it turns out to be another Latino rapist, that fact is aggressively suppressed by the media.

New Yorkers were horrified by the case of "Baby Hope," a 4-year-old girl whose raped and murdered body turned up in an Igloo cooler off of the Henry Hudson Parkway in 1991. After a 20-year investigation, the police finally captured her rapist/murderer in 2013. It was her cousin, Conrado Juarez, an illegal alien from Mexico, who disposed of the girl's body with the help of his illegal alien sister.

New York City is the nation's media capital. But only The New York Post reported that the child rapist was a Mexican.

In 2001, the media were fixated on the case of Chandra Levy, a congressional intern who had gone missing. All eyes were on her boss and romantic partner, Democratic congressman Gary Condit. Then it turned out she was assaulted and murdered while jogging in Rock Creek Park by Ingmar Guandique -- an illegal alien from El Salvador.

There was a lot of press when three Cleveland women went missing a decade ago. By the time they escaped in 2013 from the sick sexual pervert who'd been holding them captive, it was too late for the media to ignore the story. The girls hadn't been kidnapped by the Duke lacrosse team, but by Ariel Castro.

Now, get this: While investigating Castro, the police discovered that he wasn't the only Hispanic raping young girls on his block. (All in all, it wasn't a great street for trick-or-treating.)

Castro's erstwhile neighbor, Elias Acevedo, had spent years raping, among many others, his own daughters when they were little girls. The New York Times' entire coverage of that case consisted of a tiny item on page A-18: "Ohio: Life Sentence in Murders and Rapes."

The media knew from the beginning that the monstrous gang-rape and murder of Jennifer Ertman, 14, and Elizabeth Pena, 16, in Houston in 1993 was instigated by Jose Ernesto Medellin, an illegal immigrant from Mexico. But over the next decade, with more than a thousand news stories on that case, the fact that the lead rapist was a Mexican was not mentioned once, according to the Nexis archives.

Only when Medellin's Mexicanness was used to try to overturn his death sentence did American news consumers finally find out he was an illegal alien from Mexico. (After years of wasted judicial resources and taxpayer money being spent on Medellin's appeals, he will now be spending eternity way, way south of the border.)

Who is this media cover-up helping? Not the American girls getting raped. But also not the Latina immigrants who came to the U.S., thinking they were escaping the Latin American rape culture. So as not to hurt the feelings of immigrant rapists, the media are willing to put all girls living here at risk.

No wonder the media is sputtering at Trump. He broke the embargo on unpleasant facts about what our immigration policies are doing to the country.
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
Wouldn't it have been far greater if Trump spouted off all these facts and statistics instead of simply categorizing all illegals as Mexicans and all Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists?

And only sort of grudgingly say that I guess some Mexicans are good people.  And later tell us he loves Mexico and Mexicans?

Just think of the shot across the bow that would have been. 

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »
Spouting all of the facts and statistics Ann did in her column cannot be done in a sound bite.  Trump is the master of this - and he's not backing off of it, either.  Good for him.  Rush Limbaugh asked an open question of his listeners today - Is Donald Trump hurting the Republican "brand" with his comments - as so much of the media is claiming?  The overwhelming consensus from his listeners was - "Hell, no!  If anything - Trump is revealing in stark contrast the wimps and cowards the present crop of Republican "leaders" are for refusing to go anywhere near his commentary - much less agree with any of it."  I couldn't agree more.
"You have enemies?  Good.  That means that you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
It would appear he is going to stir things up plenty , , ,

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 07:31:20 AM »
Trump 2008: Bush Is Evil, Talk to Iran, Obama Cannot Do Worse Than Bush

You may have gathered that I remain a skeptic about Donald Trump. Trump fans look at us skeptics with incredulity that we could possibly object to their man, and his ability to “change the debate” and force the media to discuss topics like sanctuary cities. Those of us not so enamored with Trump pause at how that quality suddenly outranks all other qualities in a potential Republican presidential candidate — including consistent conservatism.

Permit me to remind you about Donald Trump’s assessment of President Bush back in 2008:

Bush has been so bad, maybe the worst president in the history of this country. He has been so incompetent, so bad, so evil, that I don’t think any Republican could have won.

Evil? Evil? Of course, in the same interview, Trump endorsed. . . diplomatic outreach with Iran.

You know, you can be enemies with people, whether it’s Iran, Iraq, anyplace else and you can still have dialogue. These people won’t even talk to him. It’s terrible.
Wait, there’s more! Check out his assessment of Obama!

VAN SUSTEREN: The new president-elect, what are your thoughts? Pretty exciting, it's always exciting when we have a change of power, a transition, but what are your thoughts.

TRUMP: It's very exciting we have a new president. It would have been nice if he ended with a 500 point up instead of down. It's certainly very exciting.
His speech was great last night. I thought it was inspiring in every way. And, hopefully he's going to do a great job. But the way I look at it, he cannot do worse than fBush. [Emphasis added.]

VAN SUSTEREN: We know how you feel about this.

TRUMP: It's not me, it's everybody. It's been a total catastrophe. That's what happened to Republicans. They got run are [sic] out of office because we have a president that's been so bad.

And he's been a catastrophe, there's no question about it. He got us into a war we didn't need. You look at the money, we're spending hundreds of billions of dollars on a war, and then people wonder why the economy isn't doing well.

OPEC is ripping us off left and right, the oil countries are just ripping us off left and right.

So you have wars, you have OPEC, all of this stuff. He didn't do anything about it. He sends Condoleezza Rice. She gets off a plane and waves to everybody and then leaves. It's ridiculous.

VAN SUSTEREN: Governor Palin — do you think we'll see her back in 2012? What are your thoughts on that?

TRUMP: I don't know. There's a real question — she certainly made things interesting, but the question is, did she help? I met her a couple of times. She's really nice. I just don't know. I just have no answer for it.

And then here’s his thoughts on health care back in 1999. . .

TRUMP: I think you have to have it, and, again, I said I'm conservative, generally speaking, I'm conservative, and even very conservative. But I'm quite liberal and getting much more liberal on health care and other things. I really say: What's the purpose of a country if you're not going to have defensive [sic] and health care?

If you can't take care of your sick in the country, forget it, it's all over. I mean, it's no good. So I'm very liberal when it comes to health care. I believe in universal health care. I believe in whatever it takes to make people well and better.

KING: So you believe, then, it's an entitlement of birth?

TRUMP: I think it is. It's an entitlement to this country, and too bad the world can't be, you know, in this country. But the fact is, it's an entitlement to this country if we're going to have a great country.

And then, as you probably saw, Trump’s post-2012 comments on illegal immigration:

“Republicans didn’t have anything going for them with respect to Latinos and with respect to Asians,” the billionaire developer says.

“The Democrats didn’t have a policy for dealing with illegal immigrants, but what they did have going for them is they weren’t mean-spirited about it,” Trump says. “They didn’t know what the policy was, but what they were is they were kind.”

Romney’s solution of “self deportation” for illegal aliens made no sense and suggested that Republicans do not care about Hispanics in general, Trump says.

“He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,” Trump says. “It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote,” Trump notes. “He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.”

The GOP has to develop a comprehensive policy “to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country,” Trump says.

Yet I see people comparing Trump to Reagan. Donald Trump has been a conservative for about ten minutes.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
Dear Reader (and those of you with better things to do),

There have been times in the past when I’ve gotten crosswise with certain segments of the conservative base and/or with the readership of NATIONAL REVIEW. And, because, like the Elephant Man, I am a not an animal but a human being, I have always had at least some self-doubt. That’s as it should be. People who share principles should not only hear each other out when they disagree; they should be able to see each other’s points and hold open the possibility that one’s opponents have the better argument.

This is not one of those times, at least not for me.

I truly, honestly, and with all my heart and mind think Donald Trump’s most ardent supporters are making a yuuuuuuge mistake. I think they are being conned and played. I feel like a guy whose brother is being taken advantage of by a grifter. I’m watching helplessly as the con artist congratulates him for taking out a third mortgage.

Anger Is Not an Argument

Now, before I go on, let me clarify a few things. I get it. The base of the party is angry. They’re angry about Obama’s lawless chicanery on immigration. They’re angry about the GOP’s patented inability to cross the street without stepping on its own d*ck and then having to apologize for it. They’re angry that the Left’s culture warriors are behaving like an invading army that shoots the survivors even after they’ve surrendered. They’re angry that Republicans have to bend over backward so as not to offend anyone, while Democrats have free rein (and at times free reign) to do and to say as they please.

Enter Trump, stage left. He makes no apologies. He’s brash. I can understand why some see him as a breath of fresh air. If you want to give him credit for starting a worthwhile debate about sanctuary cities and illegal immigration, fine. I think that argument is way overdone, but certainly reasonable enough.

Maybe you just like him. On that, we can respectfully disagree, as there is no accounting for taste. Perhaps you just like his musk and the way it assaults your nostrils, which is fitting, given his line of cologne. Fine.

I, on the other hand, find him tedious, tacky, and trite. He’s a bore who overcompensates for his insecurities by talking about how awesome he is, often in the third person. Jonah can’t stand that.

You see the next Teddy Roosevelt and all I see is someone who talks big and carries a small schtick.

‘Sup Britches?

In words George Will shall never write, this is a good moment to talk about my pants. Earlier this week, Donald Trump attacked Charles Krauthammer and me. By the way, I don’t blame Trump one bit for his hostility. I’d hate me too, if I were him. Still I do marvel at how this supposed Master of the Universe can be unnerved by such criticism. If it takes so little effort for me to set up shop in his head, by all means, let’s give him thermonuclear weapons.

Anyway, when asked about me, he said:

I’m worth a fortune….I went out, I made a fortune, a big fortune, a tremendous fortune… bigger than people even understand….Then I get called [a failure] by a guy that can’t buy a pair of pants, I get called names?

As the intern said to Bill Clinton, this puts me in a weird position. I don’t like to brag, but I’m actually quite adept at buying pants. I don’t enjoy it. But I can do it. It never occurred to me to put it in my bio or anything — “Jonah Goldberg is a senior editor of NATIONAL REVIEW, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, and a successful pants-buyer” — but maybe I should.

Now, I will say that I sometimes choose not to wear pants, and not just because I’m so fond of my spaghetti-strainer codpiece (which affords me the satisfaction of telling really attractive women, “Hey, my eyes are up here. Thank you very much.”) But these are my choices. If I want to identify as a pantless American, who are you to say otherwise?

More to the point, what I find so gaudy about Trump is his constant reference to the fact that he made a lot of money, and his expectation that it somehow makes him immune to criticism or means that he’s a better person than his GOP competitors, never mind yours truly.

The Trump-Pets Blare.

Moreover, I find it horribly disappointing that his fans like this about him. If you met someone in real life who talked this way, you would think he’s a jerk. But somehow he’s awesome when he does it on TV?

His biggest fans disappoint in other ways as well. I marvel at how they can simultaneously despise Obama’s arrogance but revel in Trump’s. (I chuckle at all of the people who tell me he’s a heroic truth-teller for “telling it like it is” and “calling it as he sees it” but who at the same time fume at me when I tell it like it is about Trump and call it as I see it.)

But most grating of all are the people who sincerely think he should be the Republican nominee for President of the United States.

On this, I’m afraid we’re going to have to disrespectfully disagree. First of all, he’ll never be President of the United States. I won’t go into all of the reasons I think this, but a few off the top of my head: his enormous negatives, even among Republicans; the Midas’s hoard of oppo-research material that surely lurks beneath the surface; and his comments about women, which alone would turn the gender gap into a chasm. To borrow a line from Mark Steyn, a President Trump would have more ex-wives than the previous 44 presidents combined

But my objection isn’t to the political analysis of Trump supporters. It’s their judgment of the man that stews the bowels.

The Purest RINO

Which gets me back to the grifter thing.

I’ve written many times about how I hate the term RINO because conservatives should consider themselves Republicans in Name Only. The Republican Party is a vessel, a tool for achieving conservative ends. It’s nothing more than a team. Conservatism is different. It’s a body of ideas, beliefs, and temperaments. The amazing thing is that Trump is both a RINO and a CINO. I’m sure he has some authentic and sincere conservative views down in there somewhere. But the idea that he’s more plausibly conservative — or more loyally Republican — than Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Scott Walker, or any of the others is just flatly absurd. It is vastly more plausible that he is a stalking horse for his dear friend Hillary Clinton than he is a sincere conservative.

Trump supporters need an intervention. I want to sit them down at the kitchen table, reach into a manila envelope, and pull out the proof that he’s a fraud. The conversation would go something like this:

Immigration: You seem to think he’s an immigration hardliner, and he’s certainly pretending to be. But why can’t you see through it? He condemned Mitt Romney as an immigration hardliner in 2012 and favored comprehensive immigration reform. He told Bill O’Reilly he was in favor of a “path to citizenship” for 30 million illegal immigrants:
Trump: You have to give them a path. You have 20 million, 30 million, nobody knows what it is. It used to be 11 million. Now, today I hear it’s 11, but I don’t think it’s 11. I actually heard you probably have 30 million. You have to give them a path, and you have to make it possible for them to succeed. You have to do that.
Question: Just how many rapists and drug dealers did Donald Trump want to give green cards to?

Abortion: In 1999 he said, “I’m totally pro-choice. I hate it and I hate saying it. And I’m almost ashamed to say that I’m pro-choice but I am pro-choice because I think we have no choice.”

Man, it’s like he’s channeling Thomas Aquinas there.

Now he says he’s pro-life. But I’ll spare the mocking on this because at least he’s flip-flopping in the right direction, and I don’t like to second guess peoples’ professed religious convictions.

Obamacare: The man wrote in his own book and said elsewhere that he was in favor of Canadian-style socialized medicine — which would put him to the left of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and on pretty much the same page as Bernie Sanders.

Hillary: Speaking of her, Trump praised Hillary Clinton and her healthcare reform plan — in 2007! She attended his (most recent) wedding. He donated to her campaigns and to the Clinton Foundation. In 2008, he couldn’t get his head around the fact that Obama didn’t pick her for VP. “I’m a big fan of Hillary. She’s a terrific woman. She’s a friend of mine.”

Economics: People tout the guy’s business record. But he represents almost exactly what his supporters think he opposes. He’s a crony capitalist par excellence. He gives to whatever politician can grease the skids for his next deal — and he makes no apologies for it. He’s an eminent domain voluptuary. He abuses bankruptcy laws like a stack of homemade get-out-of-jail-free cards.

Parlez vous Conservative?

The most troubling defense is this claptrap that he “tells it like it is.” Well, first of all, no he doesn’t. He tells it the way you want to hear it, which is an entirely different thing. He is like William Jennings Bryan, only his cross of gold has an all-you-can-eat buffet under it, and looks remarkably like a capital “T.”

'The people of Nebraska are for free silver, and I am for free silver,' Bryan announced. 'I will look up the arguments later.' That is Trump’s approach. He’s saying what understandably angry people want to hear him say.

He reminds me a lot of Mitt Romney, at least in one respect. I always said that Romney “spoke conservatism as a second language” (a line some people ripped off, btw). That’s why Romney called himself a “severe conservative,” talked about how he “likes to fire people,” and anathematized the “47 percent.”
Trump is even less truly conservative, but he’s trying to speak in an even grubbier dialect of conservatism. And, having grown up in the tabloid politics of New York, he’s better at faking it.

Eventually, I suspect, this will be the cause of his undoing. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know about conservatism, and at some point he will say something that even his biggest fans will recognize as a damning revelation about the real man beneath the schtick. The only question is whether he implodes before or after he does permanent damage to the GOP’s chances in 2016.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DDF

Donald Trump
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
What's not to like?

objectivist1

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
Much ado about nothing.  Trump can't possibly do more damage to the Republican brand than its leadership has already inflicted on it over the past 20 years.  Is Trump a bona fide conservative?  No.  Do I think he'll last long as a candidate?  No.  But he is doing one thing right that no other conservative candidate for President (save Newt Gingrich for a short time during the last campaign) has done in the last 20 years:  standing up to the press forcefully and without apology.

Republican candidates need to understand (as now possibly only Trump and Walker and maybe Cruz do) that the media is NOT their friend.  In fact - it is their mortal enemy - orders of magnitude more powerful and dangerous than any Democrat or Republican challenger.  It is in effect an extension of the Democrat Party with virtually unlimited resources in terms of money, talent and good little liberal soldiers ready to take orders and repeat talking points.

Ronald Reagan was the last presidential candidate to understand this, and to beat the media at their own game by going over its head directly to the American people.  The Republican candidate who fails to do this places himself in a precarious position, hoping to benefit from the missteps of his opposition.  When was the last time a conservative candidate for President went on offense, selling conservative ideas to the voters?  A huge cohort of voters now under 45 to 50 can't remember any such time in their lifetimes.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
Funny enough, the public will respond when it appears a candidate is actually willing to advocate on their behalf.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 02:09:59 AM »
Apparently his clothing line is made in Mexico :roll:

DDF

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/trump-attacks-mccain-being-prisoner-war-i-people-werent-captured_993092.html?nopager=1

Trump said something stupid? NFW!

:-o

At least Trump tells the truth. Was McCain a vet? Certainly. Was he a hero for being a POW? (Trump's problem was that he was classified as a hero for being a POW). Was Bergdahl a hero? You tell me...he was also a pow.

Trump has spoken more truths in the last three weeks than the whole of American politics have in the last 7 years.

Also.... Trump supports vets.... and vets support Trump - http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/07/18/trump-right-about-hanoi-john-mccain/

"As a former active duty Naval aviator who had over 150 carrier landings on the USS Ranger in the early 1960's ~ John McCain was considered by his fellow aviators an accident prone loose cannon who only survived as a pilot because of his father and was considered a below average pilot by his fellow pilots.."

I am failing to see where Trump has been mistaken.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 09:38:49 PM »
I do not like McCain, but surely his response to torture was heroic?

DDF

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
I do not like McCain, but surely his response to torture was heroic?

Negative.... then again, my jury is out in regard to torture.

About Trump (or anyone else willing to tell the truth and spark public enmity in what I view to be the correct direction), is a breath of fresh air.

Edit: "Torture." It happens. The correctness of it depends on one's moral compass, there is no "right," nor "wrong," in it.... and if you are willing to serve, you better be willing to be tortured.... one gets no special cookies for having been captured and being tortured. Goes with the territory. It's one's duty.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:43:48 PM by DDF »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »
I am going to disagree.  My understanding is that his response to the torture was exemplary.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 05:56:27 AM »
I am going to disagree.  My understanding is that his response to the torture was exemplary.

McCain says he wasn't a war hero and doesn't want Trump's apology. War heroes don't call themselves war heroes.  From where I sit, average performance in the our military makes you a war hero.  (Bergdahl, not a hero). McCain's service was exemplary.  Trump's disrespect for service and his verbal diarrhea disqualies him from being Commander in Chief. 

McCain's political career OTOH has been less than exemplary. 

Same for Trump.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
But Rush is also right
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 07:41:22 AM »
I heard part of this rant from Rush yesterday while driving to an office.   He does make an excellent true point.  It IS refreshing to see a public figure tell the "establishment" to take a hike.

Though I would not have dishonored McCain's service to us all, he has done absolutely nothing as a politician to advance conservatism (as per Levin) who would of course many other so called Republicans.  I agree with Rush on this aspect of his points.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/20/trump_teachable_moment_how_come_liberals_can_savage_mccain_s_service

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:09 AM »
Saw a poll on FOX last night that said that overr 60% of Rep voters say they NEVER will vote for Trump.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Don't write him off and focus on the topics
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/donald-trump-speaks-to-the-silenced-majority-of-america-is-anyone-listening/

If the racial database being gathered collected and analyzed by academic racialists and quietly approved by Obama, his wife , and  crew is not proof of what is going on I don't know how else to wake people up.

We are being plundered.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Oy vey
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/donald-trump-gives-out-lindsey-grahams-cell-phone-number-120414.html

I am willing to bet that number has been passed around in more than a few alternative lifestyle nightspots

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
 I don't know.  I kind of think it is funny.  Besides Lindsey Graham is barely better than Hillary in my view.
We get spit on by our politicians from both sides of the aisles for so long I don't care for them much anymore.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Oy vey
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/donald-trump-gives-out-lindsey-grahams-cell-phone-number-120414.html

I am willing to bet that number has been passed around in more than a few alternative lifestyle nightspots

I should clarify; that was before Trump made the number public.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
Apparently Donald has threatened to run third party if he thinks the Reps are unfair to him.