Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 431451 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Good video to start the weekend
« Reply #1300 on: September 17, 2016, 07:43:55 AM »
There is short ad that you have to wait out but it is worth it to see the liberal squirm with anger after all the years of putting up with their complicit Democrat Party spin and lies :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-birther-cnn_us_57dc2301e4b08cb14095847e?section=&

I must admit this makes Trump look like a media genius.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Trump's Six Big Ideas
« Reply #1301 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

"There are, in fact, six specific ideas that he has either blurted out or thinly buried in his rhetoric: (1) borders matter; (2) immigration policy matters; (3) national interests, not so-called universal interests, matter; (4) entrepreneurship matters; (5) decentralization matters; (6) PC speech—without which identity politics is inconceivable—must be repudiated.

"These six ideas together point to an end to the unstable experiment with supra- and sub-national sovereignty that many of our elites have guided us toward, siren-like, since 1989. That is what the Trump campaign, ghastly though it may at times be, leads us toward: A future where states matter. A future where people are citizens, working together toward (bourgeois) improvement of their lot. His ideas do not yet fully cohere. They are a bit too much like mental dust that has yet to come together. But they can come together. And Trump is the first American candidate to bring some coherence to them, however raucous his formulations have been."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/donald-trump-ideas-2016-214244#ixzz4KjBESzLE
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #1303 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Trump passed on the invitation of the president of the Ukraine to meet today.

If I have it right, Hillary accepted?

DDF

« Reply #1304 on: September 23, 2016, 07:54:03 AM »
Trump passed on the invitation of the president of the Ukraine to meet today.

If I have it right, Hillary accepted?

Interesting point. It was obviously a huge potential to build relevance and experience on an international level. OTOH, there are many that think Empress Dowaga would lead the US into a war with Russia. One of Trump's strengths is the so called "bromance" that he enjoys with Putin.

I was debating the Crimea with the Catholic Bishop here one day, who is a wise man of roughly 65 years old. Crimea has a long and storied history where it has changed hands several times, and if anything, is Cimmerian territory, being neither Russian nor Ukrainian. The Crimea, two and a half centuries ago, became part of Russia, having been relased from the Ottoman empire, it because a region with autonomous rule and joined with Russia in 1783. The territory itself wasn't handed over to Ukraine until 1954 by Krushev.

Trump was correct in avoiding this due to what can be gained by a useful relationship with Trump, especially when Ukraine relies on Russia for a number of things, especially natural gas. Trump had too much to lose and not enough to win, being that the subject certainly would have presented itself.

Hillary OTOH, has nothing to lose given the far flung and unsubstantiated rumors of a Russian hacker leaking the Democratic party's misdeeds. Being in the situation she is in, can only benefit from a relationship with Ukraine.

Trump could have went, played a subdued hand of remaining neutral, but that would have been perceived as weakness, especially by the Leftist media and even by his own supporters (Trump is popular because he is seen as unflinching and strong - if he loses that, he loses the election). This was something that he couldn't have won without convincing Putin himself, to give the Crimea back to Ukraine, but from a Russian perspective, that won't happen. Even when Kruschev gave it to Ukraine, the Ukraine was itself a portion of the Soviet Union, so Kruschev was in effect, losing nothing. With the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, it is not until then, that any of this was even a question of who owned the Crimea. Trump was best to avoid the subject altogether.

Edit: And just now, reading this http://uatoday.tv/politics/ukrainian-president-petro-poroshenko-meets-us-presidential-candidate-hillary-clinton-750168.html , (three days ago)
they did in fact discuss exactly that:

"Petro Poroshenko informed Hillary Clinton about the situation in Donbas. The Ukrainian Head of State emphasized that Ukraine today fights for freedom and democratic values, which unite the whole democratic world. The interlocutors agreed that consolidated Transatlantic unity and solidarity with Ukraine is important in resisting the Russian aggression. It was also noted the effectiveness of sanction policy against Russia. Petro Poroshenko thanked Hillary Clinton for continuous and firm supportive stance on Ukraine."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:09:32 AM by DDF »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »
A thoughtful analysis DDF.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 23, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
Those six reasons could make a good list of talking points for Trump in the debate.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »
Well they are "Beauty" contests after all.   I mean these pageants could show case their brains and dance and violin playing talents and political prowess for progressive causes ( I wish to end world hunger) and get rid of the bikini part and open it up to very short , very tall, all weights and sizes, and all facial types and try to sell Beauty comes "from the inside" and finally, see how lucrative that would be:

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/another-pageant-contestant-calls-out-donald-trump-for-being-sexist-and-controlling-121350461.html

On one hand these ladies want to show case their sexual attractions and then belittle anyone that comments on it one way or the other as being sexist.

You can't have your bikini and your totalitariastic feminism too. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
On FOX last night they were talking that she had been a narco's squeeze and that she had driven the getaway car when her brother tried murdering someone.  Apparently he threatened the judge in question and somehow nothing happened.

PS:  In her own words she admitted packing on some pounds after winning the crown ("I was super anorexic in order to win, but then I got healthy again.")

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 30, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
You Can’t Help a Man Who Can’t Help Himself
Between 3 and 5 a.m. this morning, the Republican nominee for president offered some thoughts on Twitter, urging those believing the tale of Miss Venezuela to “check out her sex tape and past.” He declared any stories about his staffers being dissatisfied with his debate performance must be false — “There are no sources, they are just made up lies!” He also misspelled “judgment.”
Hillary Clinton wanted to make this week about Alicia Machado; Donald Trump agreed. That’s on him.
Many good right-of-center friends are on the Trump bandwagon, and are working for his victory, and fervently hoping he can reach those 270 electoral votes. I think they are working harder, and smarter, and showing more judgment than the candidate himself.
From coverage of his preparation for the first debate:
He has paid only cursory attention to briefing materials. He has refused to use lecterns in mock debate sessions despite the urging of his advisers. He prefers spitballing ideas with his team rather than honing them into crisp, two-minute answers.
If you knew you were going to speak before 84 million Americans, wouldn’t you do everything humanly possible to maximize your chance of success?
Tuesday morning, he told Fox and Friends, “I really eased up because I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.” Assuming that’s true, he didn’t maximize his chance of winning over voters . . . before an audience of 84 million people . . . because he didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.
Now he gets sensitive?
This is the lamest excuse imaginable. “I could have done a lot better, but I chose not to do that.” Trump thinks he’s saying, “Look at what a nice guy I am.” What he’s really saying is, “look at what catastrophically egregious judgment I have.”
Why should anyone be emotionally invested in this man’s victory, if he refuses to learn, refuses to improve, and refuses to avoid making the same mistakes, over and over and over and over again? I’d love to see Hillary Clinton defeated. I just have no faith that Donald Trump is capable of doing that. Every now and then, he gains some traction, the polls get closer . . . and then he goes and does something stupid. And all of his supporters insist it doesn’t matter, and that we should all avert our eyes, and that we’re betraying something good and righteous by noticing what just happened right in front of us. And then they insist it’s not stupid, that there’s some brilliant nine-level chess going on that we can’t possibly understand from the outside, and if we just wait and see, Donald Trump will win in the end. Unless he doesn’t, because the election is rigged.
That’s not a campaign; that’s a cult.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 30, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
CD,

You just beat me to it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-tweets-alicia-machado-134018710.html

All Hillary has to do in the next town hall is say : "there he goes again"

Yup.   When the pressure is on he becomes childish.

It really is voting against Hillary then voting for him.

:cry:

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
He can win if he does this
« Reply #1312 on: September 30, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Jonah Golberg: Anal Ventriloquism
« Reply #1313 on: September 30, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
 "FWIW my sense of things is that Trump's proclivity for creating food fight snark fests is starting to wear rather thin with a lot of people; it may not have reached critical mass, but he may be setting himself up for a fall."

10/26/15
============================================
Jonah Goldberg

Dear Reader (including the disgusting ones who made that G-File reader sex tape, check it out),

In my most selfish moments, I want Donald Trump to win the election.

But before I explain that, let me just say he could win. I talked to Hugh Hewitt this morning and he said he was stealing my line, so I figured I’d better get it down on “paper” fast.

Trump got to where he is for a lot of reasons, starting with a 17-candidate collective-action problem, myriad failures of both the GOP’s establishment and anti-establishment wings, and, of course, the cold, indifferent cruelty of this meaningless, empty universe where nothing matters and the living envy the dead. But giving Trump his due, he also got to where he is because he was great at punching-up. When he took on Jeb Bush, Reince Priebus, the media, Washington, etc., he was punching up. He wasn’t just the outsider coming into town to blow things up, he was Godzilla smashing all before him. In the standard Godzilla movie there’s always that scene where the hapless Japanese army tries to lure the beast toward some electric power lines. Godzilla takes the bait and bites the power lines. But the shock doesn’t kill him, it makes him stronger! That was Trump in the primaries. Mangling metaphors somewhat, people told him “You can’t chomp those power lines! Those are the third rails of American politics!” Trumpzilla cared not, bit them, and got stronger.

But here’s the problem: Everyone thinks Godzilla is cool when he’s fighting Monster Zero or swatting away fighter jets. But when they have that close up shot of Godzilla’s clawed foot coming down on a child or a screaming woman, all of a sudden, you can’t cheer the King of Monsters. So it is with Trump: He wins when he punches up. He loses when he punches down.

And that’s Trump’s Achilles’ heel: He can’t resist punching down. He can no more stop himself from “counter-punching” the little guy than my dog can agree not to chase rabbits. (“It’s just so hoppy! I must kill it!”)

Everyone knows this. Hillary Clinton knew it and she baited him. She almost literally could have said, “Donald, I’m going to bait you. You would be a fool to take the bait. But I know you will.” And he still would take the bait. In fact, I think he would be more likely to take the bait if she said she were baiting him, because he would want to prove that he could take the bait and win.

I thought Trump lost the debate, but not overwhelmingly. He was clearly the winner of the first 30 minutes or so, and if he’d stayed that guy for the full 90 it would have been a hugely consequential rout. But then, Hillary implemented “Bait Trump Protocol Alpha-1,” when she brought up how he got his start with a $14 million loan from his father. (She got the details wrong, but it doesn’t matter. When you’re baiting fish or Trumpzilla, the lure doesn’t have to be real, it just has to be shiny. In fact, getting the bait just slightly wrong makes it even more irresistible, because we all have a natural instinct to correct falsehoods aimed at us, and Trump more than most.)

So Trump bit the shiny thing, and for the rest of the night, plodding, dull Hillary Clinton led Trump around the stage like a matador with a red cape. And, four days later, Trump is still charging around like an enraged bull. At first I thought Clinton’s use of Alicia Machado was odd. There are so many Trump victims out there, why use one with such a weird past? But that’s what was so brilliant about it. If Machado were a nun, it’d be harder for Trump to attack. But Trump thinks he can win this one on the merits and so he won’t let go of it. He didn’t learn the lesson of his feud with the Khan family: The only way to win such fights is to not engage in them at all. The debate wasn’t a disaster but how he handled the post-debate spin was, and continues to be.

If Trump could stay on message, if he could be a disciplined candidate, I think he’d be ten points ahead by now. But realistically, this is no different from saying if he could control anything metal with his mind, he would be Magneto.

, , ,

Trump the Destroyer, First of His Name

I say “some” of his supporters for a reason. Because I think many of his supporters would continue to defend Trump no matter what he did or said as president. And that’s probably the main reason I’m so opposed to him: A Trump presidency would destroy conservatism in this country.

I’ve written a lot about the corrupting effect Trump’s candidacy has had on conservatism. But let me try to put it a different way. Trump is an unintentional master of the art of rectal ventriloquism. No, I don’t mean he’s a champion farter. I mean he talks out of his ass, and the words magically start coming out of other peoples’ mouths. He says eminent domain is wonderful and suddenly conservatives start saying, “Yeah, it’s wonderful!” He floats a new entitlement for child care and almost instantaneously people once opposed to it start bragging about how sensitive they are to the plight of working moms. He says Social Security needs to be more generous and days later once proud tea partiers are saying the same thing, and the rest of us are left to marvel how we didn’t even see Trump’s lips, or cheeks, move.

This is a perfect example of the corrupting effect of populism and personality cults. I keep mentioning my favorite line from William Jennings Bryan: “The people of Nebraska are for free silver and I am for free silver. I will look up the arguments later.” For many Trump supporters, the rule of the day is, “Donald Trump is for X and I am for X. I will look up the arguments later (if ever).”

======================

Your Weapons Are Useless Against Him

I’ve spoken to countless leading conservatives, including prominent politicians, who tell me that once Trump is in the White House, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Mike Pence, and all of Trump’s wonderful appointees will be able to manage him. Trump’s talk-radio and TV supporters will keep him honest and make sure he keeps his promises.

I think this is in-frick’n-sane.

Candidate Trump can’t be managed. Everyone with any contacts in or around Trump world has heard the stories about how his staff tries to impose discipline on him. The jokes about Kellyanne Conway desperately trying to hide his phone from him to keep him off Twitter are funny because they’re true.
And yet, you’re telling me that when Trump wins despite rejecting all of this advice and actually takes possession of Air Force One, and when the Marine guards start saluting him as the band plays “Hail to the Chief,” I’m supposed to believe this staggering narcissist will suddenly become manageable? Seriously?

Moreover, throughout his entire career in business, he’s made a name for himself as a promise-breaker, welcher, and snake-oil salesman, willing to say whatever he needs to in order to close the deal. “Sure this car gets 200 miles to the gallon. Sign the check and you’ll see.” That is what the art of the deal really means for him. He’ll get the White House and he’ll say to the rest of us looking to cash in his political promises, “Try and collect.”

Trump is not a conservative. He has some instincts that overlap with conservatism — the importance of law and order, the value of military strength etc. — but these instincts are not derived from any serious attachment to ideas or arguments. They stem from his lizard-brain machismo and his authoritarian streak. He never talks about liberty or limited government unless someone shoves it into his TelePrompTer. His ideas about economics and public policy are shot-through with dirigisme. He’s learned to talk the talk about free-market solutions, but in his heart he’s still the guy who believes single-payer health care works “incredibly well.” The one adviser we know he listens to is his daughter, and she is certainly no conservative. Does anyone believe he will side with Mike Pence and against her in a fight over, say, Planned Parenthood?

=================

Donald Milhous Trump

Hadley Arkes, one of the many “Scholars for Trump” I respect a great deal, has an interesting argument for why he supports him. He writes:

In 1964 the Republicans, with Goldwater, were blown away, and yet four years later the Republicans came back strongly with Richard Nixon. But in those intervening four years the regime itself was changed: The Great Society extended and confirmed the reach of the federal authority until it covered hiring and firing in corporations and even small, private colleges. And it extended federal controls over local education. We are faced now with a comparable threat to change the regime yet again. Obama has already sought to govern wide sections of the economy with regulations that bear little connection to any statute that can give the standing of law to these executive orders. He has made a nullity of Congress and the separation of powers.

Note that Arkes says Republicans came back strongly with Richard Nixon. That’s true. But this was not a conservative comeback. The Goldwaterites were marginalized. Nixon didn’t roll back the Great Society; he made it bipartisan.

Save for his anti-Communism, Nixon wasn’t a conservative. He came from the progressive, Rockefeller, wing of the GOP. He told reporters that the “Buckleyites” were a “threat more menacing” to the GOP than was the John Birch Society. He believed Ronald Reagan was a “know-nothing.” He told his aide John C. Whitaker, “There is only one thing as bad as a far-left liberal and that’s a damn right-wing conservative.” Nixon created the EPA, implemented wage and price controls, launched the first affirmative-action programs, and proposed a health-care program that was downright Obamacare-esque.

From everything we know, Trump’s a Nixonian liberal without a fraction of Nixon’s policy chops. He’s surrounded himself with Nixon-retreads like Manafort and Stone, and ripped off Nixon’s entire rhetorical playbook from “the silent majority” on down.

In my heart, I truly believe he would trade Supreme Court appointments for a massive infrastructure program. The one thing we know about the guy is he likes to build stuff and put his name on it. If Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi — who already want a massive infrastructure program — told him, “Hey, meet us half way on the judges and we’ll deliver the votes you’ll need,” he’d do it in a heartbeat, throwing the conservatives under the bus while — here’s the important point — taking an enormous number of Republicans with him.

Just look at the issues of trade, entitlements, child care, and gun rights (in the form of his capitulation on the terror watch list). Look at all the formerly “true conservative” types who’ve gamely gone along with Trump so far. Do you honestly think they’ll break with a president Trump? Trump won’t crush the administrative state, he will be rolled by the bureaucrats. That’s what the heads of bureaucracies do in our system. They don’t run the agencies, they spin-up and co-opt politicians. That’s why you need a conservative president who knows things.

===================

The Perfidious Binary

I’m not one to over-indulge in self-pity, but I do sometimes feel like a therapist should be asking me, “Show me on the doll where 2016 touched you.” But among the most annoying and asinine “arguments” — accusations really — hurled at me 100 times a day is that if I’m against Trump, I’m for Hillary. This is nonsense on stilts atop a cloud. I can’t stand Hillary Clinton. Back when Trump was writing her checks and inviting her to his wedding, I was opposing her and her familial tong with everything I had. I wrote Liberal Fascism with her in mind. The hardcover’s subtitle reference to “the politics of meaning” was a direct shot at her New Age–y soft-totalitarian nanny-statism. I will give the first person who can find a single pro-Hillary column — or paragraph! — I’ve ever written a lifetime subscription to National Review.

I think she will make a terrible president and be bad for America. If any of the other 16 candidates had won the nomination, many of whom I cannot stand, I would be out there screaming expletives at any Republican who thought Hillary was a better choice.

And even with my adamantine opposition to Trump, I still cannot imagine endorsing Hillary Clinton (even though liberals are now insisting I must almost as much as conservatives claim I have), because I know she will be horrible and she stands for things I reject with every fiber of my political soul (“Do souls have fibers?” — The Couch).

But here’s the thing: Conservatives know how to oppose Clinton, who will come into office the most damaged and unpopular president in American history, having fulfilled her mandate to not be Trump on Day One.

But it’s already very clear they do not know how to oppose Trump. His hostile takeover of the Republican party demonstrates that. So do the otherworldly descriptions of Trump that his more intellectual supporters conjure from thin air. If he becomes president, the Republican party will no longer be even notionally conservative. America can survive four years of Hillary Clinton, though those four years will be bad. Very bad. But America cannot survive if both parties reject the principles of limited government and constitutionalism, which would be the result of a “successful” Trump presidency or even most scenarios in which he’s a failed president. The demise won’t be instantaneous, but gradual, as a new bipartisan consensus forms between a right-wing statist party and a left-wing statist party. The body-snatched Republicans will become ever more serviceable dummies for the master of rectal ventriloquism. Principled conservatives won’t vanish — though some trolls keep telling me we’ll all be hung, gassed, or killed by the coming mobs. Rather, we will become increasingly irrelevant, cast into the same peanut gallery as our libertarian cousins.

But, we will be able to say, “I told you so.” Which, in my selfish moments, is a great temptation.

Jonah Goldberg
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:34:02 PM by Crafty_Dog »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 01, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »
"FWIW my sense of things is that Trump's proclivity for creating food fight snark fests is starting to wear rather thin with a lot of people; it may not have reached critical mass, but he may be setting himself up for a fall."

Its obvious.  When he sticks to issues he wins .  When he asks like a baby he loses.  He is down a bit in the polls supposedly from the debate.

He just refuses to learn.  Tweeting at 3 AM??  sounds like he was pacing his bedroom unable to sleep because he was worried about what a 2 bit wanna be actress from Venezuela said about HIM instead of thinking how to run the greatest country on Earth.  As said before on this board  by many, God help us.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 01, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
God help us. We are so fcuked.

Its obvious.  When he sticks to issues he wins .  When he asks like a baby he loses.  He is down a bit in the polls supposedly from the debate.

He just refuses to learn.  Tweeting at 3 AM??  sounds like he was pacing his bedroom unable to sleep because he was worried about what a 2 bit wanna be actress from Venezuela said about HIM instead of thinking how to run the greatest country on Earth.  As said before on this board  by many, God help us.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Donald's taxes - so what after all IMHO
« Reply #1316 on: October 02, 2016, 04:32:25 AM »
Somebody made a lot of money stealing this information for the Clinton mob.  Or perhaps the NYT paid the bribe.   That said I don't see how this hurts Trump.  So what he had big losses in the early 90's then took legal deductions for years off his personal income.  Who wouldn't if they could.  What annoys me about this is this is just another example of how wealthy people are allowed to game the system in ways that are not available to the rest of us.  When I lost a lot in the tech crash in 2000 I could deduct only a tiny bit going forward for the following years.  How come I cannot deduct more going forward and he can .  That is clearly a system that is rigged for the wealthy.  That is not Trump's fault.  That is why we should lower taxes for the wealthy and close probably most if not all loop holes.  Frankly I think 'maybe' we should close the charity deduction.   

As for the argument that Trump may have made some bad business decisions, my response is so what.  He fixed it all and came back stronger than before. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-trump-losses-may-mean-didnt-pay-taxes-034038880--election.html

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 02, 2016, 07:21:27 AM »
I read an Alert from Pravda On The Hudson.

Let me see if I have this right.

Trump had large losses in one year, but the tax code forced him into taking the losses over a long amount of time.

Is that it?

Of course there is also the matter of real estate having non-cash expenses (i.e. depreciation).   In that cash flow matters more than nominal income, maybe Trump is right that his financials tell more than his tax records?  Who knew!  I'm shocked, absolutely shocked.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
13 year old man child-- Does Trump really want it?
« Reply #1318 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:47 AM »
Even despite all we have seen that even now Trump still has an outside shot at beating Hillary one must conclude that she is so loathed.  

Asking if Trump deep down really 'wants to be' President is a valid question at this point:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440638/donald-trump-does-he-really-want-presidency
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:39:34 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 03, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
A lot of serious bite to that piece , , ,  :cry: :cry: :cry:

DDF

A Stupid Question
« Reply #1320 on: October 03, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
I have a stupid question... a "what if," if you will...

Suppose that Assange releases something truly damning to Clinton... something that absolutely prohibits her from seeking the presidency...

Suppose that also, Donald Trump doesn't really want to be president... and said so...after Clinton is found to be ineligible.

What would happen then? Would both major parties replace their candidates?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: A Stupid Question
« Reply #1321 on: October 03, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
I have a stupid question... a "what if," if you will...

Suppose that Assange releases something truly damning to Clinton... something that absolutely prohibits her from seeking the presidency...

Suppose that also, Donald Trump doesn't really want to be president... and said so...after Clinton is found to be ineligible.

What would happen then? Would both major parties replace their candidates?

The party isn't on the ballot, the candidate is. It's too late to put new names to be voted upon.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH on what Trump should do in town hall
« Reply #1322 on: October 04, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »
I am not holding my breath:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440678/donald-trump-captain-queeg-admiral-bull-halsey

Plus we know for certain the LEFT and "Never Trump chumps" will set out to "get him" in a town hall .  This time he better be prepared!

By the way.  The (Admiral ) Halsey House was a restaurant for many  years on West Jersey Ave in Elizabeth.  My grandmother lived right next door for over 25 years.  I don't think it exists anymore.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:37:22 AM by ccp »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-torches-trump-for-ptsd-comments-155918148.html

Gee what a shock.   Some people handle stress better than others.  So what .  This happens in all walks of life. 

Coming from the King of gaffes:

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1895156,00.html

"Plugs" as Mark Levin calls him

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
delusional
« Reply #1326 on: October 11, 2016, 07:11:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7MVsYi4po&feature=youtu.be&t=1450   :cry:

I just hope we can at least hold the Senate.............

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Jerry Falwell Jr. theory
« Reply #1327 on: October 11, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
Did the *Republican* establishment people find and release the Billy Bush - Trump tape?

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5165512716001/falwell-jr-gop-elite-may-have-been-behind-trump-audio-leak/?#sp=show-clips

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Obama called for Special Prosecutor
« Reply #1328 on: October 11, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Trump's biographers turn on Trump
« Reply #1329 on: October 13, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/donald-trump-2016-biographers-214350

Yes, their political biases shine through, but nonetheless more than a few disconcerting tidbits in this interesting piece.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:09 AM »
Donald - Ivanka divorce within the next year?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 15, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Ummm , , , isn't he married to Melania?

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 15, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
"Ummm , , , isn't he married to Melania?"  Yes you are right.   :-o

Correction:

Donald - Melania divorce within the next year?

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Donald Trump was a Democrat then.
« Reply #1333 on: October 15, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
A defense he can't use, but didn't all of Donald Trump's alleged bad talk and bad behavior happen back when he was a Democrat?

When they ask, have you changed, the answer should be yes.  Democrats, everyone knows, are held to a lower standard.  He should argue they hold him to the Bill Clinton standard for the 10 and 30 years ago stuff and only to the higher, Republican standard going forward.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 15, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
http://www.infowars.com/busted-trump-sex-allegations-full-of-holes/

Now if we didn't have a tape recording of Donald himself boasting that he does these things........

"A defense he can't use, but didn't all of Donald Trump's alleged bad talk and bad behavior happen back when he was a Democrat?"

Well it is 100 % definite that Allred would not be front and center with this if it were a Democrat.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
VDH today, Case.for Trump
« Reply #1335 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:52 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441126/donald-trump-conservatives-should-vote-president

Read it all.

by VICTOR DAVIS HANSON   October 17, 2016 4:00 AM  Conservatives should vote for the Republican nominee.   

Donald Trump needs a unified Republican party in the homestretch if he is to have any chance left of catching Hillary Clinton — along with winning higher percentages of the college-educated and women than currently support him. But even before the latest revelations from an eleven-year-old Access Hollywood tape, in which Trump crudely talked about women, he had long ago in the primaries gratuitously insulted his more moderate rivals and their supporters. He bragged about his lone-wolf candidacy and claimed that his polls were — and would be — always tremendous — contrary to his present deprecation of them. Is it all that surprising that some in his party and some independents, who felt offended, swear that they will not stoop to vote for him when in extremis he now needs them? Or that party stalwarts protest that they no longer wish to be associated with a malodorous albatross hung around their neck?

That question of payback gains importance if the race in the last weeks once again narrows. Trump had by mid September recaptured many of the constituencies that once put John McCain and Mitt Romney within striking distance of Barack Obama. And because Trump has apparently brought back to the Republican cause millions of the old Reagan Democrats, various tea-partiers, and the working classes, and since Hillary Clinton is a far weaker candidate than was Barack Obama, in theory he should have had a better shot to win the popular vote than has any Republican candidate since incumbent president George W. Bush in 2004.

What has always been missing to end the long public career of Hillary Clinton is a four- or five-percentage-point boost from a mélange of the so-called Never Trump Republicans, as well as women and suburban, college-educated independents. Winning back some of these critics could translate into a one- or two-point lead over Clinton in critical swing states.

Those who are soured on Trump certainly can cite lots of understandable reasons for their distaste — well beyond his sometimes grating reality-television personality. In over-dramatic fashion, some Against Trumpers invoke William F. Buckley Jr.’s ostracism of John Birchers from conservative circles as a model for dealing with perceived Trump vulgarity. He is damned as an opportunistic chameleon, not a true conservative. Trump’s personal and professional life has been lurid — as, again, we were reminded by the media-inspired release of a hot-mic tape of past Trump crude sexual braggadocio. The long campaigning has confirmed Trump as often uncouth — insensitive to women and minorities. He has never held office. His ignorance of politics often embarrasses those in foreign- and domestic-policy circles. Trump’s temperament is mercurial, especially in its ego-driven obsessions with slights to his business ethics and acumen. He wins back supporters by temporary bouts of steadiness as his polls surge, only to alienate them again with crazy nocturnal tweets and off-topic rants — as his popularity then again dips. He seems to battle as much with GOP stalwarts as Clintonites, often, to be fair, in retaliation rather than in preemptory fashion.

All these flaws earned Trump nemesis in his disastrous first debate, which was followed by marked dips in his polls. He seemed not to have prepared for the contest, convinced that he could wing it with his accustomed superlative adjectives and repetitive make-America-great generalities. He so obsessed over Clinton’s baited traps and contrived slights about his commercial reputation and his temperament that he allowed her to denigrate his character with impunity — even as he missed multiple opportunities to chronicle her spiraling scandals and contrast his mostly conservative agenda with her boilerplate, Obama 2.0, “you didn’t build that” neo-socialism. Trump’s second debate performance was far stronger, and stanched his hemorrhaging after the Access Hollywood revelations, but it was not the blow-out needed to recapture the lost momentum of mid September — nor will it yet win over Never Trump Republicans and independent women.

The counterarguments for voting Trump are by now also well known. The daily news — riot, terrorism, scandals, enemies on the move abroad, sluggish growth, and record debt — demands a candidate of change. The vote is not for purity of conservative thought, but for the candidate who is preferable to the alternative — and is also a somewhat rough form of adherence to the pragmatic Buckley dictate to prefer the most conservative candidate who can win. The issue, then, at this late date is not necessarily Trump per se, but the fact that he will bring into power far more conservatives than would Hillary Clinton. No one has made a successful argument to challenge that reality.

Nor is the election a choice even between four more years of liberalism and a return of conservatism; it’s an effort to halt the fundamental transformation of the country. A likely two-term Clinton presidency would complete a 16-year institutionalization of serial progressive abuse of the Constitution, outdoing even the twelve years of the imperial Roosevelt administration. The WikiLeaks revelations suggest an emboldened Hillary Clinton, who feels that a 2016 victory will reify her utopian dreams of a new intercontinental America of open borders and open markets, from Chile to Alaska, in the manner of the European Union expanse from the Aegean to the Baltic.

Conservatives who sit out the election de facto vote for Clinton, in the manner that Sanders’s liberal supporters, should they stay home, become votes for Trump. Oddly, renegade Democrats seem more eager to return to their fold than do their louder Republican counterparts. The idealist Bernie Sanders is not nearly as bothered by WikiLeaks and other hacked revelations of how Hillary Clinton sabotaged his campaign, cozied up to big banks, and admitted to talking progressively while in reality serving Wall Street, as are Republicans by Trump’s potty mouth. Yet in a veritable two-person race, the idea of expressing positive neutrality, to paraphrase the Indian statesman V. K. Krishna Menon, is to suppose that tigers can be vegetarians.

The tu quoque argument suggests that Trump’s rhetorical excesses — media obsessions aside — are unfortunately not all that different from those of Obama and Hillary about the “clingers” and the “deplorables.” Name a Trump cruelty or idiocy — unfamiliarity with the political discourse, ethnic insensitivity, cluelessness about the world abroad — and parallels abound, from Obama’s mispronunciation of “corpsman” as “corpse-man,” his mocking of the Special Olympics, and his remark about “punish[ing] our enemies” to Hillary’s statement that believing David Petraeus and Ryan Crocker required a “suspension of disbelief,” her “what difference does it make?” glibness about the Benghazi attack, and her past pandering to “white Americans.” And these Democrats’ frauds — from the Tony Rezko sweetheart lot deal with Obama to Hillary’s $100,000 profiteering in cattle futures — are even more banal grifting than Trump steaks and Trump vodka.

Had anyone else in government set up a private e-mail server, sent and received classified information on it, deleted over 30,000 e-mails, ordered subordinates to circumvent court and congressional orders to produce documents, and serially and publicly lied to the American people about the scandal, that person would surely be in jail. The Clinton Foundation is like no other president-sponsored nonprofit enterprise in recent memory — offering a clearing house for Clinton-family jet travel and sinecures for Clintonite operatives between Clinton elections. Hillary Clinton allotted chunks of her time as secretary of state to the largest Clinton Foundation donors. Almost every assistant whom she has suborned has taken the Fifth Amendment, in Lois Lerner fashion. The problems with Trump University are dwarfed by for-profit Laureate University, whose “Chancellor,” Bill Clinton, garnered $17.6 million in fees from the college and its affiliates over five years — often by cementing the often financially troubled international enterprise’s relationship with Hillary Clinton’s State Department. Collate what Hillary Clinton in the past has said about victims of Bill Clinton’s alleged sexual assaults, or reread some of the racier sections of Dreams From My Father, and it is hard to argue that Trump is beyond the pale in terms of contemporary culture.

Trump’s defeat would translate into continued political subversion of once disinterested federal agencies, from the FBI and Justice Department to the IRS and the EPA. It would ensure a liberal Supreme Court for the next 20 years — or more. Republicans would be lucky to hold the Senate. Obama’s unconstitutional executive overreach would be the model for Hillary’s second wave of pen-and-phone executive orders. If, in Obama fashion, the debt doubled again in eight years, we would be in hock $40 trillion after paying for Hillary’s even more grandiose entitlements of free college tuition, student-loan debt relief, and open borders. She has already talked of upping income and estate taxes on those far less wealthy than the Clintons and of putting coal miners out of work (“We are going to put a whole lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business”) while promising more Solyndra-like ventures in failed crony capitalism.

We worry about what Citizen Trump did in the past in the private sector and fret more over what he might do as commander-in-chief. But these legitimate anxieties remain in the subjunctive mood; they are not facts in the indicative gleaned from Clinton’s long public record. As voters, we can only compare the respective Clinton and Trump published agendas on illegal immigration, taxes, regulation, defense spending, the Affordable Care Act, abortion, and other social issues to conclude that Trump’s platform is the far more conservative — and a rebuke of the last eight years. There is a reason the politicized media — from biased debate moderators to New York Times reporters who seek to pass muster in the Clinton team’s eyes before publishing their puff pieces — have gone haywire over Trump.

Contrary to popular anger against them, Never Trump conservative op-ed writers and wayward Republican insiders do not have much direct influence in keeping Trump’s party support down. Indeed, even after the latest gaffes, it creeps back up even as he is alienating women and the suburbs. The problem is more nuanced. Never Trump conservative grandees help flesh out the Clinton narrative of a toxic Trump that is then translated through ads, quotes, and sound bites to more numerous fence-sitting independents and women: Why should they vote for a purported extremist whom even the notables of the conservative movement and Republican party cannot stomach?

In an election with flawed candidates, balance is a legitimate question: Why didn’t The New Republic or the Huffington Post run an “Against Clinton” special issue? Certainly, she was dishonest enough to warrant such opprobrium from among a few of her own — given her prior treatment of Bill Clinton’s likely victims of sexual assault. Her endangerment of national security through use of her private server, the utter corruption of the Clinton Foundation and indeed the office of secretary of state, and her serial lies, from claiming to have braved sniper fire in Bosnia to misleading the families of the Benghazi fallen amid the caskets of their dead, make her unfit for the presidency.

In this low-bar presidential race, why do conservative establishmentarians and past foreign-policy officials feel a need to publish their support for the Democratic candidate, when their liberal counterparts feel no such urge to distance themselves from their own nominee? Is what Clinton actually did, in leaving Iraq abruptly, or lying about Benghazi, or violating federal security laws, so much less alarming than what Trump might do in shaking up NATO or “bombing the hell out of ISIS”? Trump’s platform is the far more conservative — and a rebuke of the last eight years.

Have such conservative self-auditing and Marquess of Queensberry restraint paid dividends in the past? Would it have been worth it for John McCain to go after Obama’s personal mentor and pastor, the racist, anti-American, and anti-Semitic Reverend Jeremiah Wright, in 2008, to preempt an agenda that led to the passage of the Affordable Care Act? Or, in the second presidential debate of 2012, should Romney have, in Reaganesque fashion, grabbed the hijacked mic back from the moderator and “fact-checker” Candy Crowley, if that dramatic act might have meant his election would have warded off the looming Iran deal? Was losing nobly in 2008 and 2012 preferable to winning ugly with Lee Atwater in 1988?

All the Republican primary candidates, in fear of a third-party Trump bid, swore an oath to support the nominee. When Jeb Bush or Carly Fiorina, even if for understandable reasons, broke that promise, they reinforced the unspoken admission that the Republican field — despite impressive résumés — operated on politics-as-usual principles. Trump won not only fair and square but also with a larger aggregate vote than any prior Republican nominee. Moreover, the Trump constituencies for the most part loyally voted in 2008 and 2012 for Republican moderates who they presciently feared were malleable on many conservative issues and who they rightly guessed would probably lose.

Trumpism was no fluke. During the primaries, a solid conservative governor, Scott Walker, at times seemed a deer in the headlights on illegal immigration. A charismatic Marco Rubio fell into robotic recitations of boilerplate. A decent Jeb Bush’s characterization of illegal immigration as “an act of love” was no gaffe but seemed a window into his own privilege. Multi-talented Ted Cruz convinced few that he was the elder Cato. Rand Paul reminded us why we would not vote for Ron Paul. Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry demonstrated how successful governors might not inspire the country. Chris Christie played the bully boy one too many times. The inspired outsiders, Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson, never quite got beyond being inspired outsiders. Campaigning is like war: It often involves a tragic correction to early mistaken appraisals of relative strength and weakness formed in calmer times. Casualties pile up to prove what should have been known but went unrecognized before blows fell: in this case, that in his energetic harnessing of popular anger, Trump, my own least favorite in the field, was the more effective candidate in gauging the mood of the times.

These are all valid rejoinders to those who say that recalcitrant conservatives, independents, and women should not hold their nose and vote for Trump. But they are not the chief considerations in his favor.

Something has gone terribly wrong with the Republican party, and it has nothing to do with the flaws of Donald Trump. Something like his tone and message would have to be invented if he did not exist. None of the other 16 primary candidates — the great majority of whom had far greater political expertise, more even temperaments, and more knowledge of issues than did Trump — shared Trump’s sense of outrage — or his ability to convey it — over what was wrong: The lives and concerns of the Republican establishment in the media and government no longer resembled those of half their supporters.

The Beltway establishment grew more concerned about their sinecures in government and the media than about showing urgency in stopping Obamaism. When the Voz de Aztlan and the Wall Street Journal often share the same position on illegal immigration, or when Republicans of the Gang of Eight are as likely as their left-wing associates to disparage those who want federal immigration law enforced, the proverbial conservative masses feel they have lost their representation. How, under a supposedly obstructive, conservative-controlled House and Senate, did we reach $20 trillion in debt, institutionalize sanctuary cities, and put ourselves on track to a Navy of World War I size? Compared with all that, “making Mexico pay” for the wall does not seem all that radical. Under a Trump presidency the owner of Univision would not be stealthily writing, as he did to Team Clinton, to press harder for open borders — and thus the continuance of a permanent and profitable viewership of non-English speakers. Trump’s outrageousness was not really new; it was more a 360-degree mirror of an already outrageous politics as usual.

One does not need lectures about conservatism from Edmund Burke when, at the neighborhood school, English becomes a second language, or when one is rammed by a hit-and-run driver illegally in the United States who flees the scene of the accident. Do our elites ever enter their offices to find their opinion-journalism jobs outsourced at half the cost to writers in India? Are congressional staffers told to move to Alabama, where it is cheaper to telecommunicate their business? Trump’s outrageousness was not really new; it was more a 360-degree mirror of an already outrageous politics as usual.

John Boehner and Mitch McConnell did make a good case that they had stopped some of the Obama agenda and could not have halted more, given that Republicans did not have the White House and Obama often exceeded his constitutional mandates. But they hardly provided emotional energy and vehement opposition — the thumos that galvanizes others to do things deemed improbable. Tea-party rallying cries to stop Obamacare, to stop piling up trillions in new debt, to stop slashing the military, and to stop disparaging working-class Americans mostly in favor of preferred racial, class, or gender groups were not inspired by the Republican elite. The WikiLeaks peek into the Clinton-Obama media Borg reveals an insidious corruption in which it is hard to distinguish between campaign officials, network-journalist grandees, and top-level bureaucrats. Colin Powell’s pathetic hacked e-mails might suggest that such insidiousness is not just confined to liberals and progressives.

“Creative destruction” and “job mobility” are favorite — and often correct — nostrums for the unfortunate downsides of otherwise wealth-creating, unfettered trade. The more foreign products undercut our own, in theory, the more we are forced to tone up, put the right workers into the right places for the right reasons, and become ever more productive and competitive.

The problem, however, is that a displaced real person, unemployed and living with his 80-year-old grandmother in a financially underwater and unsellable home, cannot easily move to the North Dakota fracking fields, any more than the destruction of an 80-acre small-farming operation owing to foreign agricultural subsidies is in any way “creative.” What we needed from our conservative elites and moderates was not necessarily less free-market economics, but fair in addition to free trade — and at least some compassion and sensitivity in recognizing that their bromides usually applied to others rather than to themselves and the political class of both parties.

When Trump shoots off his blunderbuss, is it always proof of laziness and ignorance, or is it sometimes generally aimed in the right direction to prompt anxiety and eventual necessary reconsideration? Questioning NATO’s pro forma way of doing business led to furor, but also to renewed promises from NATO allies to fight terror, pony up defense funds, and coordinate more effectively. Deploring unfair trade deals suddenly made Hillary Clinton renounce her prior zealous support of the “gold standard” Trans-Pacific Partnership deal.

Wondering whether some of our Asian allies might someday build nuclear weapons galvanized Japan and South Korea to step up and warn North Korea against further aggressive acts, in a new fashion. In Europe, Trump is said to be unpredictable and volatile. But since when are predictability and serenity always advantages in global poker?

A President Trump might shake up U.S. foreign policy in controversial and not always polite ways. In far calmer fashion, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton already has revolutionized America’s role overseas — from the Iraq pullout to the foundations of the Iran deal to lead-from-behind Libyan bombing to tiptoeing around “violent extremism” and “workplace violence” to empowering Chinese expansionism to increasing distance from allies and proximity to enemies. Obama reminded us that approval from abroad is usually synonymous with thanks for weakening America and making us more like them than them us. Should we be more terrified that the socialist and largely pacifist European Union is afraid of Trump, or that it welcomes even more of Barack Obama’s type of leadership? Is not the present course of projecting weakness while insulting Vladimir Putin — the Russian reset of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama — the inverse of speaking softly while carrying a big stick?

The ancient idea of tragic irony can sometimes be described as an outcome unfortunately contrary to what should have been expected. Many of us did not vote in the primaries for Trump, because we did not believe that he was sufficiently conservative or, given his polarizing demeanor, that he could win the presidency even if he were. The irony is now upon us that Trump may have been the most conservative Republican candidate who still could beat Hillary Clinton — and that if he were to win, he might usher in the most conservative Congress, presidency, and Supreme Court in nearly a century.

— Victor Davis Hanson is a classicist and historian at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441126/donald-trump-conservatives-should-vote-president
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:00:20 AM by DougMacG »

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 17, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »
Case for Trump.

I agree with VDH and Doug.  I just emailed this to some relatives who are voting their conscious and writing in candidates  which I question as to the point. 

It certainly is a vote for Hillary.   

This election may well be the last one many of us will ever have any say in national politics and the direction of our country.  The never Trumpers are deluding themselves or so divorced from main street they don't care.  Like WSJ types who are for Hillary.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
George Will says it right
« Reply #1337 on: October 18, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
Will makes the case that Trump "has a point".   And we all know he is famous for being against Trump.   Yet Paul Ryan,  RNC lawyers, and the never Trumpers do nothing but undermine him.   They sing the tune of the LEFT undermining the most of the members of the Republican party for the umpteenth time.  Why couldn't Ryan have said something like this?:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/10/18/george-will-trump-has-a-point-on-rigged-elections/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 18, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »
Please post in SEIU/Electoral thread as well.  TIA

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 18, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
Case for Trump.

I agree with VDH and Doug.  I just emailed this to some relatives who are voting their conscious and writing in candidates  which I question as to the point. 

It certainly is a vote for Hillary.   

This election may well be the last one many of us will ever have any say in national politics and the direction of our country.  The never Trumpers are deluding themselves or so divorced from main street they don't care.  Like WSJ types who are for Hillary.

I also sent that VDH article to my closest of kin.  Under Trump, there is only a chance of saving a part of what we love about this country.  Under HRC, there isn't.  We head further in the wrong direction to where we  never come back.  

Trump needs to pivot away from the personal defects of both candidates and POUNCE on to direction of the country - where wrong track leads by a two to one margin.  One set of policies enhances economic growth, helping all.  The other set of policies prevents growth, hurts all.  One set of policies makes America strong on the world stage, deters enemies.  The other approach, weak America, makes us less safe.  One judicial philosophy honors the constitution and the limits on government.  The other makes a mockery of the constitution.  

Choose on direction of the country, not on the personalities and flaws in the candidates.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 18, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
Doug writes:

"Trump needs to pivot away from the personal defects of both candidates and POUNCE on to direction of the country - where wrong track leads by a two to one margin."

I agree with you 100% but as Larry Sabato said on MSNBC today Trump should do that *but he won't* .  Further more his personality is such that he "can't" .

And NOW with this headline this is what he is going to waste time on with tweets, at the debate, and the rest:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:41:25 PM by ccp »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump, 6 point Contract with the American Voter
« Reply #1342 on: October 24, 2016, 08:43:20 AM »
FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;
SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

(Drain the swamp.)

On the same day, I will begin taking the following seven actions to protect American workers:

FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205
SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator
FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately
FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.
SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward
SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure

Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:

FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama
SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States
THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities
FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back
FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:

1. Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.

2. End The Offshoring Act Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.

3. American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.

4. School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to gives parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

5. Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

6. Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-site childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.

7. End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.

9. Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values

10. Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.

On November 8th, Americans will be voting for this 100-day plan to restore prosperity to our economy, security to our communities, and honesty to our government.

This is my pledge to you.

Video at link:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/22/trump_addresses_contract_with_the_american_voter_in_gettysburg_term_limits_energy_immigration_more.html
-----------------------------------------------------

Where I disagree with him on some issues, it isn't a close call that his agenda would reinvigorate America and Hillary's would destroy it.  To sit out is to let others decide.  How did that go for conservatives who couldn't stomach Romney?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 24, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Doing my best to spread this around.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 01, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »
I am glad Trump picked Pence over Christie.  For one I like Pence more.  Two I really think Christie is in trouble in NJ.   The campaign certainly doesn't need that on top of everything else.

Jarad's father who, Christie put in jail knows a thing or two about the politics in NJ.   I am sure he is drinking lots of Passover wine now:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-offered-chris-christie-vice-president-role-before-mike-pence/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Trump Presidency, Trump Administration
« Reply #1346 on: November 09, 2016, 07:06:10 AM »
New thread?

Today the Trump administration begins, getting ready to start work.  The Trump analogy to Reagan begins too.  Trump starts with a huge advantage over Reagan by having the House and Senate in his own party.  He also starts with a 5th vote Supreme Court vacancy to be filled.  It is almost too good to be true.  (Don't screw it up!) He does not have and never will have 60 votes in the Senate.  The broken filibuster and reconciliation vote issues are the hurdles to enacting change; He also has to work well with congress - after he ran largely against them. 

Hugh Hewitt says Trump should appoint and get confirmed 100 judges in 100 days, including a Supreme Court justice from his list.

He promised to cancel executive orders, get over-regulation repealed, overhaul the tax code, re-open TPP and other agreements.  He needs great cabinet members.  He needs to sweep the corruption and ethical issues out the door.  He can't have scandal or make serious unforced errors.  He needs to move first and strongest in the areas that have the widest agreement with the people and with congress.  He needs to work quickly and boldly on healthcare.  What an opportunity.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Presidency, Trump Administration
« Reply #1347 on: November 09, 2016, 07:32:37 AM »
I hope I am surprised at what a great job he does. Please don't fcuk this up!

New thread?

Today the Trump administration begins, getting ready to start work.  The Trump analogy to Reagan begins too.  Trump starts with a huge advantage over Reagan by having the House and Senate in his own party.  He also starts with a 5th vote Supreme Court vacancy to be filled.  It is almost too good to be true.  (Don't screw it up!) He does not have and never will have 60 votes in the Senate.  The broken filibuster and reconciliation vote issues are the hurdles to enacting change; He also has to work well with congress - after he ran largely against them. 

Hugh Hewitt says Trump should appoint and get confirmed 100 judges in 100 days, including a Supreme Court justice from his list.

He promised to cancel executive orders, get over-regulation repealed, overhaul the tax code, re-open TPP and other agreements.  He needs great cabinet members.  He needs to sweep the corruption and ethical issues out the door.  He can't have scandal or make serious unforced errors.  He needs to move first and strongest in the areas that have the widest agreement with the people and with congress.  He needs to work quickly and boldly on healthcare.  What an opportunity.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Donald the Badass
« Reply #1348 on: November 11, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
"Donald, Your word is your bond but your memory is short."
« Reply #1349 on: November 15, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
“Donald, your word is your bond but your memory is short."

Alleged quote of Trump's former stockbroker.
Source, second or third hand via facebook, must be true...
https://www.facebook.com/ted.greenberg.98/posts/10154459008621072

His words also are sometimes intended as starting points in negotiations.